1,895 reviews

Microsoft Visual Studio

Software shipping and building

4.6 /5 (1895 reviews) Write a Review!
4.6
1,895 reviews
Industry: Retail

I don't know how I lived before Visual Studio

Reviewed on 16/06/2020

A pleasure wrapped in a dream. I've used it now for 6 months and have deployed react apps, worked on a vuejs application and everything was so simple and centered. It's been awesome.

Pros

1. It's free.
2. It integrates a terminal in the editor
3. It has flawless code coloring for any language or library there is.
4. You can open multiple terminals
5. It manages your repo

Cons

Nothing, there is nothing that I don't like, I don't like that it doesn't write code for me aside from that I literally am dumbfounded at how I lived without it.

Ebrahim F.
Industry: Computer Software

It just gets better and better

Reviewed on 09/01/2019

I started coding with Visual Studio 2005 and now work on a daily basis on 2012, 2015 and 2017. What I have experienced with Visual Studio is consistency and stability. Each new version looks and functions pretty much the same, so there's no real learning curve each time you upgrade(If you know how to use 2005, you will have no trouble with 2017 or later versions). Over the years, debugging performance has also improved, which is another plus for me. From 2015, Team services connects quite nicely as well and the actual loading of Visual Studio for the first time has improved greatly over the years.

Pros

Since 2007, I have used Visual Studio for all of my app development. It is indeed the best tool I have ever come across. Possibilities are endless, from legacy WinForms apps to Web Apps and services, Visual Studio is able to provide you with an easy to use, stable and reliable platform to build your apps on. I am a C# developer who uses it every single day. Built-in features like code-completion and code validation makes it easy for even the beginner to learn. Since Azure came along, deployments have become even simpler, whether published directly, or through Source Control. Another cool thing about Visual Studio is that with every new version, new tools are introduced and new types of projects as well. This makes all of those projects that used to take days to put together, a mere selection of a project type and all of the initial code and structure is generated automatically. Then there's the debugging tools, Nuget, Server explorer, Team explorer and the list just goes on. All of these tools and features in Visual Studio makes it the most powerful of its kind in my opinion and I am sure many others. Microsoft also introduced Visual Studio Community Editions a few years back, which makes it even easier for newbies to start their development careers hassle free.

Cons

For certain project types, certain versions of Visual Studio work best, so I often switch between 2012, 2015 and 2017. I found that 2012 works nicely with older(.NET Framework 4 and below), 2015 for all recent apps, while 2017 works better if you need to debug Azure Websites. Other than that, the IDE has stayed pretty much the same, which is awesome. Nuget packaes sometimes have issues, but I don't use them that often, so I am not really affected negatively by that. The initial install of Visual Studio 2015 and above are web installers, which takes even longer than older versions, so I dread new installs, but after the install, all is good.

Surender B.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Best development tool for implementing web, desktop and mobile applications

Reviewed on 16/05/2019

I highly recommend Microsoft Visual studio to everyone who wants to develop application for web desktop and mobiles plateform.

My overall experience is superb with this and highly satisfying the company needs.

It can be used in large and small scales enterprises.

Pros

Here is a list of reasons why we adopt Microsoft Visual Studio for development:

1. It supports more than 60 programming languages.

2. Team foundation server feature is awesome where we can deploy our changes on server very easily and can rollback the same with ease.

3. Dock able features of script tabs and windows make it easy to handle various windows at same time.

4. It provides script bundling and it is just easy process.

5. Visual Studio provide inbuilt sample code templates and by using them we can same development time up to large extent.

6. We can integarte third party tools with ease.

7. Intelligence window is one prominent feature.

8. Intermediate language debugging is very good feature.

9. We can edit images or icons with inbulit editor and no need to go for other third party editing tools.

10. Last not the least is that its a quality unit testing features.

Cons

I never noticed any cons till now but below are some suggestions if Microsoft can add:

1. Team foundation branching is quite complex.

2. Software is quite taking high CPU memory and takes 3-5 minutes during initial loading and its too bulky and taking near about 3 GB space in c drive.

3. Licence fee is quite high because its a brand product but it is okay if we are dealing with quality software which is highly reliable in current competetion.

Sean S.

Visual studio is a good tool for writing/running .Net applications.

Reviewed on 27/06/2018

Visual studio allows for the writing/running/debugging of .NET applications. It provides an easy way to add external libraries via Nuget. It also makes it easy to maintain multiple versions (x86 and x32) of your application as well as allowing custom profiles to be created for your application's output(i.e. Release vs Debug).

Pros

Visual Studio is a nicely customizable IDE that allows users to make their workspace look like they want it do. I particularly like that the layout/visibility of all of the tools can be automatically switched between when your app is running vs when it isn't. I also really like that you can change and customize the IDE's theme. I use the Dark theme and then customized the colors a little bit to be more appealing.

Cons

Visual studio seems to struggle with large applications. We have an application that has over 20 different projects in the solution and it appears to struggle with rebuilding all of the projects in the correct order(due to dependencies) sometimes. Also, we have a recurring issue where a dependency that we used to have (a specific version of SQLite) keeps coming back even though we have repeatedly attempted to remove it from all projects. On top of that, VS sometimes locks up and eventually crashes once every few weeks (I use it 5 days a week, so really this doesn't happen frequently). The crash might have something to do with starting and stopping the solution 10-20 times a day.

Sanduni N.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Best IDE for the developers, to code in multiple programming languages.

Reviewed on 27/02/2019

Pros

I'm a Technical Support Assistant at ISG Academy - (Pvt) Ltd. I'm Using Visual Studio since 2016. It's the best Integrated development environment for the developers. Visual Studio also supported in Windows and Mac-OS operating systems. We can use Visual Studio to develop applications for Windows, iOS, Android, Mac, web, and cloud. Not only that, Visual Studio IDE also having so many features. It allows us to write code accurately and efficiently without losing spellings in keywords and fix code issues while we are typing the code. When we using visual studio, we have so many features embedded like Visual Studio Team Services, Visual Studio App Center, Visual Studio Subscriptions & Dev Essentials etc. Visual studio Is the best IDE that I used since 2016, I recommend this to any developers, that love to code.

Cons

Visual Studio is the best IDE. But Sometimes It uses computer memory, more than the required amount.
And also, Sometimes Visual studio IDE get stuck with the message "Not Responding". If they can release a lite version of Visual Studio IDE, It's the best Integrated development environment for any developers, with any computer. But when considering other softwares, Visual Studio is the best. I recommend Visual Studio IDE for any user.

José R.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Visual Studio by Microsoft is a suite that combines all the .NET tools in an agile and versatile way

Reviewed on 31/03/2018

Visual Studio by Microsoft has allowed me to develop software solutions for a wide variety of clients, using different software tools. These solutions respond to different business logic. To mention some applications, I have developed systems of billing, payroll, personnel management, online sales, accounting, inventory, administration of a shipping company, restaurant management, among others.

Pros

Visual Studio by Microsoft is a very used tool in the field of work linked to software development. In the work environment, I can work, at the same time, on different projects and frameworks for the same solution. Furthermore, this suite allows me to run multiple projects and debug them simultaneously. In addition, it is compatible with old and current technologies. That is, I can work from framework 2.0 to 6.0. For the specialists on the theme of software development, it is considered a quickly understand and learning work tool.

Cons

Visual Studio by Microsoft is a very good work tool. However, it requires much of hardware resources for its installation and operation. The software developer who wants to use this suite must have a computer with sufficient features (CPU, memory, hard disk, graphics card) so that the application can be installed completly and used to its full potential. If the software developer do not have a good machine it takes a long time to install and load Visual Studio.

Carl H.
Company size: Self Employed

One stop shop for development

Reviewed on 29/08/2018

Pros

There are oh so many things to like about Visual Studio, from the wide array of languages which are supported to the great intellisense which greatly speeds up development. Visual Studio is commonly known for development with .NET languages such as C#, VB and F#, however it also has support for Python and the latest versions of C++. This makes Visual Studio an incredible IDE for if you use one of these higher level languages in your daily job as well as the lower level C++ as you would only need to have a single IDE installed, Visual Studio.

Visual Studio also has a massive store of plugins which can be installed with your Visual Studio to increase your efficiency of quality of life. One of these incredible plugins allows you to stream your project to a fellow developer, this has allowed me to help friends countless times and all in real time with really low latency.

Cons

Considering the amount of powerful features included with Visual Studio it will come as no surprise to know that it can take up a fair amount of hard drive space and can become quite slow to load. However, this seems to have been improved in the latest version but nonetheless, an SSD would improve your performance a ton if you choose to use this IDE.

Jayesh S.
Industry: Higher Education

Visual Studio: Versatile code editor

Reviewed on 03/12/2018

Visual Studio facilitates advanced interface while product/project development for an advanced developer like me as well as being simple for a novice at the same time. I develop all of my front end web applications on it. Many of our clients include people from the engineering domain that tend to solve a lot of real world problems with code. And no doubt, Visual Studio has been at the forefront in development phase.

Pros

Cons

The pricing can be made more economic for developers who are on a tight budget for the development of projects. I myself feel that the pricing can be improved in terms of paying for the application. If the team manages to reduce the pricing , a lot of developer folks out there may get onboard the 'Visual Studio' journey. Other one is the package control can be made more intuitive and more demanding for more integration in the process. Despite being lightweight, Visual Studio should provide more simulators and heavyweight modules as a full fledged IDE. People can obtain more insights from editor for data science if Sublime Text provides functionalities like graphical outputs, visualizations and demographs.

Alfredo Z.
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Development with Visual Studio

Reviewed on 15/03/2019

Pros

This piece of software is an essential part of my day to day work. For development, nothing beats a good IDE. The amount of tools and features it provides along with the organizational structure keeps work flowing smoothly. Here are a few things that are very useful:

1) Building is done with a simple click of a button. No makefile needed or complicated compilation setups.
2) Shortcuts to improve productivity such as when we Ctrl + click on a method name and get immediately take to its definition
3) Powerful debugging tools. You can step through the code line by line, set watches for variables, and even attach the debugger to a remote process in order to debug a Visual Studio application on a different computer.
4) New Roslyn .NET compiler platform integration allows for smarter suggestions and improvements thanks to the on the fly compilation. Errors are quickly found with this.

Cons

Can be a little slow at times as it is a large piece of software, but it is honestly one of the best for professional development.

Industry: Retail

The IDE of Dreams

Reviewed on 31/01/2019

I have used Visual Studio for the majority of my time during my university years while studying for my undergrad. Its various features have made working from a cloned repository easier by providing an excellent visual representation of my project through the Solution Explorer. Visual Studio is very beneficial to new users and makes working across multiple files much easier.

Pros

- High flexibility due to its compatibility of projects with many different languages.
- The "Solution Explorer" is an easy way to keep track of the various files and libraries included in your projects.
- The "NuGet Package Manager" extension is an easy and intuitive way to produce and obtain packages for your projects.
- The included "Autocompletion" makes writing repetitive code structures fast and easy.

Cons

- Installation can take a very long time if you intend to use it for multiple languages.
- Running larger projects with many opened files can run slowly (especially on computers with less than 8 GB of RAM).
- Not very lightweight due to including features that may not be necessary for all projects.

Industry: Hospital & Health Care

Rich IDE

Reviewed on 04/03/2020

Overall I highly recommend this product for team using .NET application for their end-end development and testing projects.

Pros

It is by far the best IDE for .NET application. I have used this for 4 years now for C# programming along with Selenium for Automated testing. It provides good Intellisense, efficient debug tools, extensions, contextual help. You can also use other languages by accessing necessary plugins and extensions. It is easy to create you own repository, clone repository, switch between branches, commit code, create a Pull Request, commit changes for Conflicts in code between 2 branches while merging.

Cons

I dislike the fact that sometimes the UI just freezes and you have to exit the application and re-open. They release new version so frequently that it can be a pain at times to keep up with their updates. Large projects does not load instantly if you do not open in Admin mode. Sometimes, it unnecessarily adds random changes in your commit - which you did not even add code for!

Kithmi G.

The Best .Net application for Test Automation

Reviewed on 23/03/2020

I have use 2017 and 2019 versions of visual studio. I recommend this software for beginners as well as professional developers. This support most of the programming languages c#, c, C++,VIsual Basic, HTML, Java Script and etc.

Pros

This is the best IDE for the .Net systems. I have use this software for 2+ years. Mainly I'm still using this software for my selenium web driver testing- Automation with c# and Unit testing. This is very user friendly software and have the ability to change themes. My favorite theme is Black. This is very easy to Run tests and debug tests. This is clearly displaying passed, failed test and actual and expected outputs in Test Manager. My most favorite thing is Intellisense. This giving more fun to code.

Cons

This takes lot of time to install and load large projects.When I going to commit, It loads unnecessary files. Some times test cases are not running properly because of the automatically generated temporary files. In this kind of situation need to restart the software again.

Microsoft Visual Studio Review from a RPA developers perspective

Reviewed on 04/10/2019

I've been using this product for almost 5 years now. Even though it has some performance issues, I use this software everyday. This has to one of my favourite developing IDE's

Pros

The autocomplete feature in Visual Studio really makes it easier to code, specially if you are new to .net and still learning , this feature makes everything easy. Also for RPA implementations I use UIPath and .net. This program makes developing easy as I can cross check every code in Visual Studio for validation and then use it in UiPath. Also one of the best features of this software is that its customised UI for beginners as well as non programmers, which makes everything simple and easy.

Cons

This program takes a lot of space and processing power. Also it eats up the RAM, making your computer to function slower. Newer versions of this software takes longer to boot up and load. It's not possible to have two instances opened at the same time as it can crash the machine.

Prabhu S.

One for all!

Reviewed on 31/08/2020

I am working for the clients, belong to energy and utility. They are consuming reports and dashboards from SSRS, Excel Power pivot and Power BI. With help of Visual studio SSDT(SQL Server Data Tools) Business Intelligence project templates I have worked in whole data life cycle. SSIS for ETL (extract transform load) and SSAS for Data analysis and Reporting for SSRS. Visual studio is highly reliable development tool to engage with large amount of data.

Pros

1. With help of SSIS tool we can fetch data from any source , clean and transform the huge amount raw data to structured form and store it into sql server DB.
2. With help of SSAS tools we can process data in SQL Server DB for high throughput and low latency.
3. With help of SSRS tools we can fetch data for SSAS DB or SQL Server DB to design dynamic data for production reports.

Cons

1. SSAS service takes an enormous amount of time to process huge data.
2. Installing SSDT tool kit in VS is difficult, we need SQL Server Admin help.

Stefan B.
Industry: Supermarkets
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Review of Microsoft's Visual Studio

Reviewed on 06/05/2019

Visual Studio is my go to tool for development and this applies as well to other developers I know. Visual Studio is basically unavoidable if you intend to be a software developer even if you don't work with the .NET and .NET CORE frameworks as it provides plenty options for many development scenarios.

Pros

What I like about Visual Studio that it is an IDE (integrated development environment) with a wide range of options for development.
It's useful for creating everything from mobile apps, desktop apps, web apps and the new, 2019 version, promises development options for artificial intelligence and machine learning.
And all of this is free with the community edition of visual studio.

Cons

Some errors and bugs that occur during development are hard to resolve and there aren't always easy to find solutions to these errors. It would be really helpful if there was more easy to find help from the dev team.
Other than that I have no complains for Visual Studio.

Prateek S.

Best IDE Available

Reviewed on 12/04/2017

This IDE is the best IDE I have used (I love Netbeans also, but this is better). There are a lot of things to be liked about it:

1. Ease of use

2. Its very light weight (Please note I am talking about Visual Studio Code)

3. The search feature is really good in the Visual Studio Code..

4. Personally I love the split screen, it helps me manage the js, css and html file together.

5. The git feature is awesome, it gives a nice rivalry to atom by github.

Pros

1. The search feature is really good in the Visual Studio Code..
2. VS Code and Community editions gave a huge benefit for developers opting for open source development.

Cons

Earlier versions of visual studio is a heavy build taking more ram and needed a license for each developer including fresher.

Now with community edition, I do not have any dislike features

Pricing can be reduced for Team Services edition and move towards open source and thus making AngularJS more intellisense.

Kartik B.

Visual Studio IDE is the best tool for development

Reviewed on 18/09/2019

I would recommend using visual studio as it allows different users to share same piece of code and work on the same project parallelly. It also allows the user to develop the code much faster as it provides many libraries so that user can integrate it with his/her code.

Pros

Visual Studio has made development so easy and fast due to the following reasons:
1)A developer can easily do unit testing in Visual Studio IDE as it allows the user to run individual modules of code.
2.)Visual Studio is great for web, desktop, and database development projects.
3.)The online community of Visual Studio is best among other IDE community support as you receive quick solution to the problem as soon as you post your problem in the community forum.

Cons

The only con to Visual studio is its User interface as it becomes very boring to code on an interface which has no plugins and drag and drops options.

Sahan H.
Industry: Airlines/Aviation
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Best IDE for develop computer programs in modern day.

Reviewed on 18/04/2019

Visual Studio is the best choice of mine.It really helps me to improve my programming knowledge.Also nowadays Visual Studio becomes the best choice of the top level companies due to best performance of the software.

Pros

Visual Studio is one of the best software IDE due to it's fabulous features. I have created different kind of software programs using Visual Studio. The main adavantage is we can use various platforms. Most of the modern world Software IDEs support only one programming language. But Visual Studio supports more than one programming languages.It is very easy to code using Visual Studio.So it is very useful software for me for my computer studies.

Cons

Visual Studio provides complete environment for the developers.So we can access many functions and features same time,due to that reason sometimes it carshes.But it's best software development IDE of mine.

Visual Studio + GitHub makes me a happy developer

Reviewed on 30/09/2020

Whenever I find myself wishing there is something Visual Studio can do, I usually discover that it actually can! Even after almost 2 years of using this tool every day, there are still new surprises for me.

Pros

I love the integrations. I work on an agile software development team. We use GitHub for our version control and PR reviews. The GitHub integrations for Visual Studio make it ridiculously easy to navigation branches.

Cons

Visual Studio is so robust that it is sometimes difficult to learn how to make it do the things I need.

Bj N.
Industry: Computer Software

Been using VS since version 2010. Going to keep using!

Reviewed on 16/08/2018

Visual Studio continues to be the best IDE for building .NET applications. I wouldn't recommend any other IDE for working with the .NET Framework.

Pros

The Visual Studio team continues to add features and bug fixes. I've used Visual Studio 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015, and 2017. This IDE continues to get better and better. They recently improved their update process by using an installer that runs in the background. Aside from this, keyboard shortcuts, keyword highlighting, integration with Git, and Microsoft's IntelliSense are all the reasons why I love VS 2017.

Cons

Ctrl+W used to close the current tab in version 2015, but they removed that in 2017 for some reason. I needed to manually add it to their list of shortcuts to bring it back. Also, the "go to line" function (Ctrl+G) used to run extremely slowly when v2017 first came out. (It's much better now though!)

Ben L.

The best IDE for Windows development

Reviewed on 23/01/2018

Over the last 15 years I have developed many products using the software, it has made my life a lot easier.

Pros

Visual Studio has been around for a long time, and has gone through many iterations. It is a mature IDE, providing some of the most advanced editing features for developers.
For developing .NET, .NET Core, Xamarin and lower level windows apps it can't be beaten.
Developing in VS is an easy to understand, visual experience which allows the user huge flexibility in how they work.
As you work, the IDE tries to help you as much as possible, with brilliant auto-complete and code help. Refactoring is also easy, with many helpers to assist you.

Cons

The user experience, although simple, can be daunting to new users. Occasionally the software proves buggy, although this happens less with the newer versions.

Arnaldo C.
Industry: Oil & Energy

The only competidor is his little brother VS Code

Reviewed on 05/09/2019

I have been used it for years, and is y preferred one. And always comes with new things. Fallow youtube channels and some blogs to know all the stuff that you can do with it.

Pros

What no to like. It's powerful in any area. It's fast and smooth to work with, I have worked in multiple programming languages and used multiples IDEs and VS give the best experience by far. The reference of the functions used, the refactor options, the integration with version control, the debugging tools (this is OP). I found stuff that can be done with VS years after that increase the productivity of any developer.

Cons

The compatibility with older projects can be frustrating. That shouldn't be that hard. The Intellicence (coding tip thing)sometimes get...dead, and it's very annoying because is crazy useful.

Floris D.
Industry: Human Resources
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Visual Studio makes coding look bad ass

Reviewed on 02/02/2019

I have experience working with other IDEA's like IntelliJ (which is also very good), but I prefer working with Visual Studio. In visual studio everything works, and everything is also fun to work with. I't like having a good colleague which is also sexy

Pros

It's fast (Versions before Visual Studio 2017 weren't fast, but the new version are)
So much eye candy
Integration with almost every development framework
Integration with Azure
Integration with Team foundation server
IntelliSense
Easy to understand architecture
Rapid development (The platform is alive, and new features come almost weekly)
A lot of documentation available

Cons

Version before Visual Studio 2015 were kind of slow (this is not relevant anymore)
No Java development possible (3rd party tools are available, but they aren't any good)

Thang N.

Best IDE I have used so far

Reviewed on 20/10/2019

With VS I spend all the time to developing features rather then fighting with IDE / SDK / configuration. Everything just works!. It is the go to IDE when developing C# and C++ for me.

Pros

Visual Studio includes a powerful code editor with support to many extension allow user to customize coding experience to their liking. It is even improved in each version when I think it can not getting better.

VS support many programming languages: C#, C++, Javascript, F# to name a few. The debug tool is powerful with inline value editor, stack trace and performance profile. Live test coverage really helpful for TDD.

Cons

The installation size is huge, for using one SDK I have to install many unwanted things. Multiple product line of VS also confused me (Home, Enterprise, Community, Free ?)

Jose U.
Industry: Computer Software

the Ide for Development more complete of the market.

Reviewed on 19/12/2018

Visual Studio is being used to develop desktop software and mobile applications, our main development environment is very versatile with a lot of tools and artificial intelligence to improve development times, since only a few years ago it was only used for web and web solutions. window services, now it is possible to develop applications for android and IOS using xamarin.

Pros

Supports Multiple display languages.
It is possible to create applications using C #, C ++, VB.net, and more.
It has an advanced code debugger.
It has autocomplete code.
Manage queries towards SQLserver.
The project manager and code is very well dustribuido.
Intellisense is ingenious, it allows you to code without having to consult a manual.

Cons

the consumption of resources can be excessive.
It takes a long time to install.
We continue support for native applications in linux.