Meltwater

Monitor, analyse & engage online conversations in real-time.

3.9 /5 (62 reviews) Write a Review!
3.9
3.4
3.9
3.7
Kathy W.
Industry: Computer & Network Security
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

The most inclusive on the market

Reviewed on 20/10/2020

My overall experience has been good. The customer support is usually very fast and any issues always get resolved. The platform and staff are very reliable and useful.

Pros

The thoroughness of coverage and the reach is far larger than other products and the ability to customize searches, add viewers

Cons

a few typos in search criteria setup from prior account managers - but nothing that affects its usability

Response from Meltwater

Kathy, we're glad to hear we have delivered such a great experience for you. Our team strives for excellent customer service and product solutions. Please don't hesitate to reach out if there's anything additional we can do for you.

Ernest C.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care

Meltwater does the job

Reviewed on 26/10/2020

Excellent service and support.

Pros

Ease of use and data base capture. It’s easy to set up an automated process for newsfeeds and reporting.

Cons

Exporting is not as advanced as I would like. Pdf and cvs are the main options. Formatting on export is less flexible.

Response from Meltwater

Ernest, we're glad to hear we delivered such a great experience. If there's anything further we can do for you, we are happy to help!

Amanda M.
Industry: Public Relations & Communications

Great social media monitoring & journalist database tool

Reviewed on 10/12/2019

Tip to your sales team: stop being so aggressive and reading from a script it gets very annoying.

Pros

They have an extensive journalist database and their social media platform is great. Can connect several different clients' accounts and schedule posts and the metrics are great

Cons

Their sales team is extremely aggressive. Only hear from account reps when it's time for renewal and after you sign up they go silent when you have an actual issue.

Industry: Information Technology & Services

Best Option in the Market

Reviewed on 03/07/2019

With nearly 10 years working in PR, I have had experience with Cision, Vocus, and Meltwater. There is no question that I will continue to use Meltwater in my career because it is most powerful, in my opinion. I also think that their PR distribution (which is integrated into the platform) is better than what the other players have to offer.

Pros

I use Meltwater primarily for its media database and PR distribution. The media data seems to be pretty well updated and when I request changes/additions, they are made very quickly.

Cons

As they have updated the software, I lost some of the key features that added value to how I use it. I wish you could filter search results better, gain better snapshots of individual outreach performance from the overall list, and create news searches based on specific media lists, to name a few.

Also, beware of their contract because there is an autorenewal clause no matter if your account rep has reached out to you beforehand or not. Make a note on your calendar ahead of time so that charge doesnt come as a surprise or ask them to remove it from your contract.

Meltwater = Too Expensive For Small Business, Good For Larger Operations

Reviewed on 13/11/2019

Overall, the algorithm changes on Instagram took away our use for discovering leads efficiently with the listening tool. The cost was no longer sustainable once it was not bringing in any additional revenue. It is a powerful tool, with great customer service, but I believe it is a little too pricey for smaller businesses.

Pros

I liked how robust the listening side of the software was. You could really dive into the results and pick up conversations that were happening around your brand that you otherwise would not have been able to see.

Cons

What I liked least about this software was that their social inbox was just Sprout Social. I was living within the engagement side of the software and saw little additional value. For those focusing solely on social listening, I recommend looking only at the component.

Martin M.

A Product in Development

Reviewed on 01/09/2018

Meltwater is providing excellent support and their media data and reporting seems to be very reliable. We have been able to use it to make some very productive media in-roads. The software seems to be underdeveloped but hopefully they will continue to add the features needed to make it a mainstream offering.

Pros

Meltwater is easy to use and their employees pay a lot of attention to you as a client. Especially in the set-up stages, they are very attentive and schedule their follow-up effectively. The basic tools are adequate and their data seems to be reliable.

Cons

The platform for Meltwater seems to be very immature in terms of its development. It can send newsletters but you get almost NO functionality on analytics or member tracking. Like all other SaaS companies, everything is an add-on and it is not always easy to determine what you get for the price you are being quotes. The software simply feels rudimentary in design and immature in implementation.

Gaurav M.
Industry: Online Media

An awesome Social Media Listening tool for Twitter

Reviewed on 14/02/2017

I have been using Sysomos for almost 2 years and it has never failed to surprise me. The tool is fun to work with Twitter data however it lags when we are looking for Facebook, Blogs, Forums and Instagram mentions.
The tool is good for realtime campaign monitoring.
Downside: The customer support is not that responsive when you encounter any issue with tool like data lapse etc.

Overall it is good product when your prime focus is to monitor Twitter conversations on web.

Pros

1. Strong Twitter Monitoring
2. Effective Real Time Tracking

Cons

1. Poor customer support
2. Not so good traditional media tracking

Cassie C.
Industry: Telecommunications

Complicated Product

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 28/01/2019

Pros

There are some cool feautres in Meltwater, like being able to search history by specific keywords and dates and exlcusions, and getting email notifications that we can set up for when certain words or our brand is mentioned. It also worked for us to schedule out social posts.

Cons

There are some complications in getting up social posts - sometimes it wouldn't properly tag the person we were trying to tag in our post, and you can't go back and edit a post after it's done to tag the person. Sometimes it almost feels like there are too many features that are difficult to learn to use, and not enough help to properly learn how to use the software. It shouldn't be that complicated.

I think it is way over-priced for what you get, and there are competitors much better matched for our needs.

Emily F.

Affordable but over hyped and not suitable for a large company

Reviewed on 12/03/2018

Pros

I worked for a large automotive company and moved from NetBase to Sysomos due to cost and ease of use. Sysomos is certainly easy to use and fulfills the basic needs of a small to medium size business - I don't think it's ideal if you have to dive into analytics and provide in depth numbers. If that's the case, Sysomos is not for you.

Cons

I found that Sysomos wasn't delivering the analytics that execs were looking for and there was a lot of manual work that went into it.

The content planning side of the software seemed promising until I had to use it daily and dealt with glitches of the screen freezing or not being able to scroll up/down. When presenting content to client and using Sysomos, I was embarrassed.

Training was not great, there were so many things he missed out on and we found out later on that we were not using the software to it's absolute fullest due to poor training.

Kara I.
Industry: Higher Education
Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Great Spreading the Word

Reviewed on 08/02/2019

Overall, Meltwater has been an easy tool to use to distribute information and also see the analytics of how it's being received, opened, clicked, etc. We also use the tool to create a Daily Digest of hits that mention our business in the media or on Twitter.

Pros

This software is completely user friendly. It is easy to upload press releases and sent to various distribution lists.

Cons

Sometimes there are glitches or issues where if there is a lot of traffic happening via Meltwater which makes your particular information experience a delay. Usually, Meltwater staff are able to identify log jams pretty quickly.

Ryan P.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great product that does just about everything for you!

Reviewed on 20/10/2020

I had it at a previous employer and I needed to get it at my new company as it is that important of a tool to help me stay ahead of what is going on each day in our market.

Pros

Super easy to use; mobile and desk top; can set auto-alerts

Cons

The price is a little high; setting up the searches was fairly tedious but they help you through it.

Response from Meltwater

Ryan, your recommendation means so much to us and we're so happy to have earned it. Thank you again for taking the time to let us and other professionals know about your positive experience.

Company size: Self Employed

Meltwater makes media relations and PR easier

Reviewed on 27/04/2019

Meltwater really helps with media relations. It helps you target the right journalists for your news. If you do media outreach, you really need Meltwater.

Pros

What you can do with Meltwater you can't do with Cision. It's much easier to use and allows you to see who viewed your pitch so you can decide how to follow up. It makes media relations less of a thankless chore by helping you decide where to focus your efforts.

Cons

It's a little confusing to use. Once you have a tutorial, it's easier, of course, but I wouldn't say it's intuitive.

Michael W.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Meltwater Review

Reviewed on 06/10/2020

It's been great. The customer service and walkthrough they provided was great customer service.

Pros

It's a one-size-fits-all for running social channels. The ability to schedule, check analytics and build lists is unmatched.

Cons

There's not much not to like. I do wish that meltwater app and meltwater engaged were within the same platform for ease of use.

Response from Meltwater

Hi Michael, we are very happy to have provided you with such a positive experience! We will pass your feedback along to the team.

Julie C.
Industry: Research

Terrible for Analytics

Reviewed on 13/01/2020

I don't see how any analyst tested this tool. Doesn't include what I consider basic functionality. Requires multiple unnecessary steps to analyze data.

Pros

Customer Service is responsive. Tool is very affordable.

Cons

Social Analytics are awful. Problems include:
• Data Exports – Have to email data exports through individual chart widgets.
• Separate steps for creating queries and building dashboards with visuals.
• Have to create separate searches for News and Social separately – Duplicates work.
• Charts – Don’t have basic number labels, aren't usable.
• Can't download basic volume trend.
• Volume and Sentiment numbers do not match.

Likelihood to recommend: 1.0/10

Anna K.
Industry: Real Estate
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Not the Best PR Tracking System Out There

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 29/12/2020

Our experience with Meltwater was just okay. We ended up switching to Signal AI due to the machine learning that they were able to do to make sure the PR results we were seeing were accurate and up-to-date.

Pros

Meltwater has a clean dashboard/homepage and a pretty good customer service team, but there were more cons than there were pros in my experience with the software.

Cons

A lot of the times our saved searches for PR tracking would bring in irrelevant publication results that we couldn't use as actual results. When it came to using the service as a contact database, a lot of the contact information we'd come across was out of date. They have potential as a service, but for our needs they aren't the best option.

Kate C.

Excellent Twitter social media hashtag tracking tool

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 11/12/2017

Pros

Sysomos is a great tool for understanding the reach of your social media hashtags. It also measures engagement, which not all other tools do.

Cons

Excellent with Twitter, but not much access to other social media sites, such as Facebook, or blogs.

Javier victor marian B.

best monitoring media software

Reviewed on 21/07/2019

best tool for monitoring media outlets in latin america!

Pros

sysomos is a great combination of automated software that look into media outlets news in digital and keep a look into social media. Also, they have a robust database of latin america. Before wans't so great but they keep updating it. Now, it is hard to find adicional news outside sysomos.

Cons

i have problems sharing my monitors and querys with other users and customer suppport couldn't help me. Also time to timee they have a breach or something working wrong and you dont receive and alert by email and they are very slow to solve it. I have issues in the past with my clients because of this.

I really enjoyed using Sysomos! It was easy to get set up and researching for our office.

Reviewed on 07/03/2018

It assisted with understanding customer needs, how they use our product, and developing our line.

Pros

It helped organize and visually represent data for our online presence, determine how to expand our product line, and track customer sentiment.

It is quite robust. If you really get it going you can track industry activity as it starts to trend.

Cons

It took a while to learn. There are videos to assist, and but the system is quite robust.
It is on the pricey side.

Sanjay P.
Industry: Writing & Editing
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Map

Reviewed on 30/03/2019

It's a good software that saves time and sitting at home can use it in its small device and it makes it easier for the person to arrive and a free demo of any place can tell.

Pros

Here is a good software. The person can easily see the map of any place in its device and use it.

Cons

The quality of the map of the software is not so high that I can tell it to myself very clear.

Rafe G.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Easy and fast to track down journalists, pitch them, and increase the possibility of media coverage

Reviewed on 16/05/2019

MW delivers better functionality than Cision and also allows me to work faster and more effectively

Pros

MW is quick and simple to figure out, and if there's a glitch, their chat feature can address your issue within minutes!

Cons

It would be great if I'd be able to organize and divide long lists of results for targeted journalist searches into shorter sub lists.

Bertrand J.
Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

Expensive tool made for big corporations but not for start-ups

Reviewed on 19/08/2020

Pros

Not a lot to say. Overall we very disappointed by the too.l

Cons

Poor quality of the journalist user base. Lots of bounces when we write emails. Also abusive legal close to renew your contract with a 3 months notice period for a simple SAS and the sales person comes to you sending the invoice for the next period 2,5months before it ends. Finally, a customer service/success which is very pushy to always subscribe to very pricy solution and taking a yourself a lot of time with un-needed presentations. As a start-up manager of more than 20 employees, I was very disappointed by Meltwater services.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Amy R.

Media Platform

Reviewed on 26/03/2020

It was a good platform for tracking data and finding new resources

Pros

A complex platform with the abilities to showcase great insight for communications and media professionals

Cons

A lot of features and functions, sometimes not so intuitive or easy to use. Not much mobile functionality either.

Company size: Self Employed

Sysomos is great- if you have a lot of time for training

Used Other for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 17/01/2020

We used Sysomos Heartbeat for social listening and lead gen. It was useful but also difficult to learn.

Pros

I liked the customized dashboards and reports for media clips and the way you could sync with social media. I used this for a real estate company and was able to follow conversations about moving to the area and ping people with the real estate company info. It was very helpful for lead gen.

Cons

There are almost too many features. I found the customer support great but also necessary because the product could feel clunky and there is a lot to figure out. Steep learning curve for sure.

Briana S.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Still trying to figure it out.

Used Monthly for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 07/11/2019

I have to think that my issues with Meltwater are user error because I have heard good things about it, which is why we pay for it in the first place.

Pros

The ability to export data to share with clients is fantastic.

Cons

Meltwater almost never "finds" all the news articles it should be locating. I find myself googling things and having to "add articles" to my lists every time I write a report.

Rameez B.
Industry: Retail
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great for customer engagement and as CRM tool

Reviewed on 12/06/2019

For the two years that we used Meltwater we increased our media sales and overall agent productivity. This lead to a decrease in our ques and many more satisfied customers. There are better products however Meltwater will definitely get the job done.

Pros

The CRM tool is amazing at collating and managing all social media into a chronological timeline.

What I like most about this software is the interface. Very fluid and modern and easy on the eyes. It is also user-friendly, I was able to upskill many agents within 2 days maximum.

Cons

I do feel that the reporting could be a bit more specific or customisable. Especially when pulling agent reports, there is some information which I would like to see which is not there, so perhaps allowing a more in-depth customisable report functionwould be beneficial.