Zoho Books

Online accounting software for growing businesses

4.4/5
4.2/5
4.3/5
Customer Support Software
4.2/5

445 Software options

Cassi H.

• Customer Support Software

It's easy to use but that's as far as it goes

Reviewed on 18/12/2018

The overall experience with Zoho Books has been disappointing. We were told that they were capable of so much more than what they seem to be able to deliver on. There's no real good workflow capabilities and no real way to automate processes that the user imports over and over again.

If you're just starting out and don't have many sales (especially online sales) or a big budget, this is great accounting software for the value. The fact that the software developers are unable to transfer books from their own platform to an upgraded version or new version of it makes it completely incompatible with any business that is hoping to scale or merge with another company unless you have a bunch of extra staff or hours on your hands as you will be importing every transaction one by one manually.

Pros

It's easy to use if you're doing simple bookkeeping

Cons

This software is not made for those wanting to automate as much of the workflow as possible. It is also not for businesses hoping to scale with the software. The software link to the bank account and credit card frequently breaks leaving the user to have to sync manually. I have contacted customer service regarding this issue but there does not seem to be a solution.
If you're looking to upgrade from a beta or lower version of books to a newer version, Zoho is not capable of transferring your old books to a new account so the user is left having to manually important each entry one by one which is ridiculous and tedious. I cannot understand why the software developer is unable to do this simple task when they were able to do it when transferring the books from Xero or QuickBooks.
I’m glad others are having such success with the software but from my standpoint as an accountant I just do not see the value of the software for any company looking to scale in a digital world of eCommerce and automation, especially if the company is utilizing Amazon’s platform. The workaround I have had to implement to balance the account receivables and payables from those sales instead of having a successful either add-on or API like those of QuickBooks and Xero has also resulted in extra work which could all be automated if only the software had the capability.

David T.

Great Tool For Suite Users

Reviewed on 29/07/2019

We are running all of our books for our small business with Zoho Books. It is simple to sync bank accounts and credit card accounts, and quickly categorize expenses, and run reports. Pleased with results.

Pros

Very simple to categorize funds, connectivity with other tools in Zoho Suite.

Cons

Anytime a new vender is updated to an expense item, the screen needs to be reloaded and refreshed before that same vender can be selected for another item.

Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Choosing Zoho Books

Better accessability, and price point for us.

FreshBooks

Pricepoint and accessibility
Mehedi hasan M.
  • Industry: Design

• Customer Support Software

I love using Zoho Books since early 2021 and still using happily!

Reviewed on 16/06/2021

All in one I had a great experience with Zoho Books in this recent months. I hope this with continue and they will provide more features to the board. Their support system is pretty good. I love their work!

Pros

I mostly like the invoicing feature as I can set my work hours and then analyze them and making invoices to send to my clients. This way I can manage all my clients with their work hours and payments. Thanks to Zoho Books!

Cons

Sometimes I get hesitant on the banking fetching system. I am not sure it's me or Zoho who is creating those issues. Sometimes I see error data on the page.

Michael M.

Zoho Books

Reviewed on 11/02/2021

Zoho is very user friendly and once you have used any other accounting software it's easy to get up and running with Zoho Books.

Pros

Ease of use, it has all the features I was looking for in an accounting application. The security is another factor I like Zoho Books.

Cons

I wish there could be a way to get transactions directly firm wave accounting app.

Anne B.

All the functionality of QuickBooks - and more - at a much better price

Reviewed on 01/04/2020

Zoho Books has everything I need to keep my books in order, bill my clients, and track my time and expenditures. I've been very happy with this product.

Pros

Zoho Books does everything that QuickBooks does in a much more intuitive interface. It provides a ton of flexibility in looking at things from both accrual and cash methods, offers a free seat for my accountant, and allows me to track my time and bring it directly into my invoices. The ability to take pics of receipts and enter expenses directly from my phone app is great, too.

Cons

I wish that other software providers would wake up and realize that QB isn't the only game in town. Make it easier to integrate with Zoho, please! I've had some trouble syncing with my bank in the past and it took a while for customer service to understand what was really going on - there are some language barriers. But their CS agents do seem to try to help.

Wave Accounting and Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Choosing Zoho Books

Wave only allows for accrual-based accounting, which is severely limiting. Wave also makes some odd duplicate transactions when you're entering transfers and line items for invoices.

Wave Accounting

Reasons for Switching to Zoho Books

Zoho books has everything QuickBooks has at a much lower price. And Wave and And.co had too many limitations.
James J.

Great for a small business

Reviewed on 03/12/2019

We moved from an ancient copy of Billings (a Mac-only program), and chose Zoho over the main competition based on ease of use and the need to handle customer retainers smoothly.

Pros

The setup is fairly straightforward, and the learning curve is very manageable. It's really nice to have a good (and reasonable) set of defaults for categories and account structure. That made initial use and customization pretty easy to do. The documentation is generally good, and tip links are numerous.

Cons

The only thing I find even slightly annoying is that the feed connection to the bank account is often "broken", but on the positive side the status is clear and whatever issues exist seem to fix themselves automatically within a day or two. It's not really a show-stopper; it's just annoying when I want to "clean up" things and the bank feed isn't fully current.

Wave Accounting and Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Choosing Zoho Books

The previous product had been discontinued.

Reasons for Switching to Zoho Books

Zoho was less expensive than QuickBooks, and seemed to be more approachable. Wave didn't handle retainers as well (at least at that time).
Carla G.

• Customer Support Software

Awesome Book Keeping Software!

Reviewed on 15/06/2021

Pros

Zoho books is super easy to use. I have no accounting background and was able to navigate it very easily. I also love that it's all online so it's easy to share with my accountant.

Cons

I wish it had a payroll option for my country.

• Industry: Religious Institutions

Satisfactory Financial System

Reviewed on 17/03/2019

Pros

I like that the system is so easy to prepare for use. It allows a lot of upload options - expenses, time sheet, sales, etc. You don't need training to understand how to use it if you have used another financial system in the past. Everything is easy to grasp and master - I have one bookkeeper who had ZERO training, but got everything right quickly. I also like the app that comes with it. It's not heavy on data or the phone memory. It comes with fancy picture taking tools that will allow you to keep a soft copy of your documents. The search function is also easy and quick. If you are not a highly complex company, this is a good starting database. Even up to medium complexity, I think it'll still work.

Cons

When I got Zoho Books for the company that I am working for at the moment, it didn't have the ability to report by project. I needed to create reporting tags and project at the same time, which is a real bummer. Recently, they made an upgrade that you are already able to do so on a project level. Reports are not customizable, and it's not really that easy to use. I needed to download reports from one place to another to come up with an accurate report. Sometimes, reports contradict one another. Been wrestling with the reporting part for a few months now.

Nataraj S.

Simplified Payables and Expense Solution

Reviewed on 05/08/2021

Pros

Document forwarding. Expense data extraction from submitted bills, it reduces lot of effort.

Cons

Expense mobile app is not user friendly.

Quickbooks Online
Alexander B.

Decent cloud based Bookkeeping software

Reviewed on 27/06/2018

Easy cloud-based bookkeeping software that integrates well with other Zoho Apps

Pros

This is a great cloud-based Booking software that integrates well with other Zoho apps, such as CRM. This allows our business to seamlessly transition between the two programs. You can sync information instantly, which helps when you're in the service industry. You can customize up until a certain point which is nice. They also allow bank account synchronization, as well as the creation of custom templates.

Cons

Sometimes the navigation can get confusing, and the Reports aspect should be more customizable. We have also found difficulty in matching purchase orders with the corresponding bank account records, s well as making then auto match and appear correctly for accounting reports.

Mumin H.
  • Industry: Graphic Design Software

• Customer Support Software

Great product. It's worth it!

Reviewed on 25/11/2016

Zoho Books is one of the vital programs we use in our business. It is very easy to use and really has lots of awesome features that help you with your accounting needs. Of course, just like any other software, it doesn't have everything you will need or you can think of, but the most important ones are there. The mobile app could be improved, some reports are not accessible such as the tax summary and recording payments does not allow you to record bank charges in the app. But overall, it's an awesome product and would definitely recommend you use it.

Pros

I like that it's very user-friendly. Almost all the necessary things you need for your bookkeeping is there.

Cons

The mobile app is alright but can be improved.

• Customer Support Software

Great choice for small to large businesses or even freelancers

Reviewed on 30/06/2021

I tried quite few invoicing systems and this is the one im sticking with. Made my life so much easier and everything works like a pro.

Pros

The invoicing system, automations and customizations are a huge asset and with Zoho you get the full package. Really like the way things work and how easy they are done. Once you have everything set up, then invoicing becomes easy as 1,2,3

Cons

A bit more complex for the average Joe but not a big deal. Another cons you pay for the core but to unlock more features (that are supposed to be included in the core) you have to pay extra. But with workarounds you can get similar results

• Customer Support Software

Quality accounting software at an unbelievable price

Reviewed on 10/08/2018

Overall, Zoho Books works perfectly for my digital marketing company. Online payments, invoicing, credits, client portals, many integrations, and much more. The few issues I have with the software are quickly forgotten about when you consider the low price tag.

Pros

- The price simply cannot be beaten. There are a lot of features for the monthly price.
- Bank syncing works well and there have never been any problems with linking any of the bank on my account.
- Invoice and email customization is sufficient enough to differentiate itself from competitors.
- Client portals allow clients to log in and see their billing history.
- Zoho books can integrate with many other platforms via their API and through Zapier.

Cons

- The interface is a little hard to follow sometimes. There is too much white with tiny little lines across the screen. Looks "out of focus" a lot of the time.
- Recurring expenses are not handled well, in my opinion. There isn't an easy way to see expenses that were auto-created for easy removal.

John D.

• Customer Support Software

Zoho Books is perfect for any size business, especially smaller businesses!

Reviewed on 10/07/2018

Pros

One of the best things about Zoho Books is that it is Scalable for any size business, and being that it runs in the Cloud, you don't need to worry about in house servers to run the app or any backup services. Zoho handles all of that for you!

Cons

The downside is that it's price for the premium plan costs almost the same as upgrading to their Zoho One OS for Business which give you access to this and 40 other apps they offer, many of which you may not need.

David W.
  • Industry: Financial Services Software

• Customer Support Software

Zoho Books is awesome for the solopreneur

Reviewed on 20/07/2021

Zoho Books allows me to organize transactions and know my numbers to effectively forecast in my businesses.

Pros

I like most that Zoho Books integrates with other products in the Zoho One Suite. This makes it very easy to implement and use daily.

Cons

Just like with any new software, there is a learning curve. While this took some time for me to learn and customize the software, I was able to get the hang of it.

Ummar H.
  • Industry: Higher Education Software
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

The turnkey solution for small businesses and firms

Reviewed on 17/05/2018

Creating invoices on daily basis and recording expenses as well as vendor bills and recurring expenses. Zoho books provide a very easy way to audit accounts too.

Pros

It's cloud-based very lightweight and overall user interface is very nicely designed which is also aesthetically pleasing.

Cons

I didn't find payroll module inside zoho books. Also the integration of local SMS API using webhooks is not fully possible.

Beat B.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

• Customer Support Software

Great little piece of Online Accounting software !

Reviewed on 17/09/2016

I've been using and administering ERP systems for the past 15 years.. I can tell you that this is genuinely a very valuable piece of online software. If you are starting a small business and need and easy to use accounting SW, then use Zoho Books. Great value for the money.

Pros

- cloud base accounting software
- manage projects and customers in one central place
- provide access to some of the information to your customers thru a portal in Zoho
- can configure multiple users when working on projects in team
- includes a backup option to export all your data locally
- user forums to find quickly an answer. Product support seems pretty reactive too.

Cons

- sometime the navigation is a little bit confusing at the beginning, but once you get used to it, it works well
- reporting could be more straightforward, but still offers 3 different export formats
- invoice templates could be a bit more distinctive.. too many similarities between the few ones offered.

Chiamaka N.
  • Industry: Information Services

Cool ERP system

Reviewed on 25/11/2016

Since we have being using Zoho books for our business, we have never though of any alternatives becasue this guys are just doing great and improving on their products every time. One of the cool things they do is listen to their users request on features and plan to have it included in the suites once it will benefit majority of the users. I also love the fact that they listen to us to customize the ERP system flawlessly. You are doing a great job guys!

Mohit S.

• Customer Support Software

Your personal accounting assistant.

Reviewed on 27/03/2019

overall I'm very happy with Zoho books and recommend all small businessman to go for zoho books.

Pros

Zoho Books is very easy to use and don't require deep knowledge of accounting. it suits your small business as you want with online bills, tax calculation and payments. zoho always provide updates to keep it more smoothly.

Cons

importing and exporting should be more easy sometime importing to excel sheet lose many contacts details.

Travis O.

• Customer Support Software

Great software that will grow with your business

Reviewed on 24/04/2017

Great software. I was just starting my business is a general contractor. I looked at a lot of building software thats specially for builders and remodelers and it was all very involved and required a lot time to keep everything up to date. Zoho Books isn't like that, Zoho id easy-to-use and it's not time consuming and you can kind of scale it to the size of your business

Pros

Free to try and use with limited features
Only pay for the features you need
Great user interface on pc

Cons

Mobile app lacks many functions
All the different pieces of zoho software don't talk to each other which means entering the same data more than once

• Industry: Financial Services Software

• Customer Support Software

Helpful, simple, easy to use kind of software.

Reviewed on 28/08/2018

Pros

The software is simple in a sense that most our clients learn to use it for their businesses and personal use per our suggestion. The highly rated feature of this software is the possibility of uploading receipts and having an electronic copy for safekeeping and documentation purposes. This software also auto scans invoices which are beneficial and time-saving. The reports are useful and timely, allowing our team and clients to be up-to-date with their financial record.

Cons

Integration of Zoho books and Zoho expense is confusing and needs more updates. Bugs are present upon use. I am hoping for a future update that might fix this complication. Overall, the software is amazing and highly recommended.

Ramesh K.

Simply awesome

Reviewed on 25/11/2016

We are happy to use books for our internal management. We are thinking of to integrate your zoho books with our campus management ERP solution (School, College management solution) to bring our customers to use full features of books by integrating our fee management with zoho books.

• Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great for Business

Reviewed on 18/04/2019

Zoho Books has worked amazingly well for our finance department. It saves time so much time

Pros

It is easy to use. You can send invoices easily, monitor your cashflow in real-time, track expenses better and do a lot more with Zoho Books. It is the leading Accounting software in the world

Cons

I cannot find a downside to it. It works perfectly

Reinier D.
  • Industry: Accounting Software

Awesome Accounting software

Reviewed on 25/11/2016

Very easy to work and easy to understand. We like teaching our clients how to use Zoho and this makes submitting expenses and project

Pros

Easy to navigate and easy to understand for non-accountants

Cons

Nothing

Martin M.

• Customer Support Software

Zoho Books is a usable web-based accounting software

Reviewed on 25/11/2016

We have been using ZOHO for our 2 online marketing companies for more than an year now and are very satisfied with it. It has multiple currencies, customizable reports and chart of accounts.

Pros

Multiple currencies
Constomizable reports and chart of accounts

Cons

lack of payroll module
impossible to convert between currencies excluding your main currency