Chargify

Recurring billing and subscription management

4.3 /5 (197 reviews) Write a Review!

Allison C.

• Customer Support Software

I wish I found this sooner

Reviewed on 13/09/2019

I use Filemaker pro. I used to have to keep track of client information such as billing period and contact them to get the authorization to charge them each period. It was really ridiculous. Now everything is completely automated. Chargify does everything and sends me notifications to let me know how things are going. My experience has been a ten and I hope Chargify does more marketing so that more business can be sure to find them.

Pros

The customer service at Chargify is unmatched. While within your account you can choose to chat with a representative who is competent and will quickly solve whatever issue or question you have. They are able to provide direct links within your account to help you navigate and set up whatever you are trying to do.

Chargify allows you to set up several different billing strategies easily and efficiently. The possibilities are endless. The support center is extremely detailed and helps you gain a full working knowledge of all the available features so that you can be sure to take advantage of them.

Cons

You get what you pay for and the steep price of this comes with steep rewards and benefits. If you paid less you still wouldn't get half of what they have to offer.

James S.

• Customer Support Software

Very good for specific use cases, with other functionality not adequate

Reviewed on 10/09/2019

We wanted to manage subscriptions, feed quickbooks with info for revenue reporting, and track churn/MRR/ARR. But, we can only manage subscriptions with it and can' achieve the other goals.

Pros

Good APIs
Easy setup
Simple UI
Lots of analytics
Good at monthly subscriptions with credit card billing

Cons

Non-monthly subscriptions are not handled well and not incorporated into MRR/ARR properly when there are mid-cycle change
Revenue recognition severely lacking for anything but monthly, credit card subscriptions
Invoice handling severely lacking
Integration capabilities for quickbooks are inadequate for anything but monthly credit card subscriptions
Webhooks almost there but key data points are missing from key webhooks, like a customer ID on an invoice generated or invoice payment

Jordan G.

Glad we switched to Chargify

Reviewed on 10/09/2019

Pros

Chargify makes it very easy to run a subscription based business. We offer various monthly plans with configurable options and Chargify has a ton of features which allows us to configure and adjust products, plans, prices and options. It is extremely flexible and has saved us hundreds of hours managing our clients payment process - especially with self service pages and dunning.

Cons

Not sure if this is a configuration issue, however I recently saw a list of "unpaid" customers. I think Chargify can do a better job of notifying me if a customer has an unpaid balance which is growing. After 4 attempts of failed dunning, Chargify needs to send alert to me.

Danielle L.
  • Industry: Insurance Software

Customer Success - Success

Reviewed on 05/09/2019

Chargify as a software and service has provided us with a good experience.

Pros

The Customer Success team at Chargify is wonderful. You can go to them with any questions or concerns you have and if they don't know they answer, they will get one for you. They have made working with Chargify a joy and have helped us to adapt and alter the product to help it work best for us and our business needs.

Cons

There are parts of the software that are hard to figure out how to use without completing additional research. Chargify does have great Help articles, but it would be nice if the software was more user friendly so you don't have to refer to the Help items.

Chad K.

Perfect for our needs

Reviewed on 05/09/2019

It's been reliable, easy to understand and easy to use. Exactly what you want in this type of product. Having to custom-write our own billing and payment system to automate everything would have been a mess and would have us running around trying to deal with edge cases that Chargify handles perfectly.

Pros

Using Chargify has saved us hundreds of hours of custom development, and half a dozen hours each month of maintenance and administrative effort. It let us accomplish nearly everything we wanted to do with our monthly based pricing model.

Cons

It would be nice to have features to send one-off charges to existing clients, where you don't want them to recur.

Justin P.

• Customer Support Software

A rock solid billing platform lacking just a few search related features.

Reviewed on 19/02/2019

Solid and extensible, which is what we wanted, but plenty of room for improvement in admin, search, and reporting areas.

Pros

The platform is fully featured as far meeting as our needs for recurring annual billing for software licenses. It has a fast interface, the API is solid for website related coding, and the

Cons

The admin area is lacking in features. No real ability to generate custom reports, though they have some details reports but the drill down is limited. The search/filter capabilities are poor in most screens. They recently added a global search ability, which is handy for simple account related detail, but presents only a short list, and can only select one account each time, so no good for bulk searches. The main list screens for transactions and subscriptions is severely lacking in searchable parameters. For example, searching transactions exposes only date range and a type. No other transaction data is available to search against. This lack of back end admin features appears in other areas too, such as the web hooks panel.

Jordan J.

• Customer Support Software

Chargify is a great subscription management tool

Reviewed on 10/09/2019

overall, we have a very positive experience with chargify. It fulfills 95% of our daily business needs. Great service!

Pros

I like how easy it is to use and how seamless it integrates with other online apps (shopify, mailchimp etc)

Cons

I wish the email tool allowed for you to style emails better. The user interface is clunky and limited. Also I wish the integration with mailchimp passed along the subscription status of "pending cancellation". That way we could set up an automatic email campaign in mailchimp that is sent to users who change their status. It would help us save subscribers before they cancel.

Sarah B.
  • Industry: Design

• Customer Support Software

Strong product, responsive product and support team

Reviewed on 12/02/2019

We use Chargify for all of our billing processing. It covers the vast majority of our needs very ably. I am the primary user, but don't negotiate the contract, so I can't speak to value for the money.

Pros

Easy to use, new features make it more flexible for our business. Amazing support team and a product team that is interested in feedback and actually implements it!

Cons

There are some limitations in terms of how it can be used. Our pricing has become more flexible, which is a challenge with the need to pre-set product and discount types.

Neil H.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

• Customer Support Software

Solid product and easy to integrate

Reviewed on 12/02/2019

I have had a very good experience with Chargify. They feel like a business partner as well as a software provider - it feels quite personal.

Pros

I like how easy it is to integrate with a website

Cons

There is nothing I dislike about Chargify. The only slight challenge is that you have to have a separate payment provider to hook it up to so that payments can be taken, but Chargify does a really good job of subscription-based payments and website integration.

Tamara F.
  • Industry: Automotive

Pretty Great To Use!

Reviewed on 18/02/2019

Pros

I didn't choose this software, my employer did. But while I've never taken them up on training, I've been very easily able to navigate through the program and do what I need to do. It's very easy, I like the look and feel of everything and I've never had a problem. Whenever I needed it, support staff have been easy and quick to reach/respond and they've successfully helped me every time. If I ran my own business, I'd probably use Chargify for my online billing needs.

Cons

Nothing really. Haven't ever had an issue.

Annette S.

Chargify works well

Reviewed on 05/09/2019

I personally have only been using it for 6 months and am still getting my head around some of the features. The help component is ok but it would be great to have somewhere i could have an overview of the product rather than waiting for a colleague to help.

Pros

Ease of entering new customers, The reporting allows me to find the information I need easily

Cons

The inability to change items like an invoice if there is a mistake made

Paul B.

Reviewed on 05/09/2019

Solid. I don't worry about our auto-billing as Chargify deals with this for me. One less thing to worry about.

Pros

Straightforward. Does what we want for client billing. Reliable and cannot remember an issues where transactions did not go through due to an issue with Chargify.

Cons

Not much to say on this. Perhaps not being able to refund transactions older then the past 3.

Denise S.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Great software!

Reviewed on 05/09/2019

Automating billing is key to our business right now. I am still doing manual billings daily. The functionalities available are exactly what we need. Furthermore, the reporting functions are fantastic.

Pros

Ease of use and customer support. I also love the reporting metrics.

Cons

Customization can be challenging and often time the workarounds are correct/ sustainable.

Andrea M.
  • Industry: Wireless

Great for B2C products, not great yet for B2B

Great for B2C products, not great yet for B2B

Pros

Simple to set up, easy to manage sign up pages, and automated dunning works well.

Cons

Until recently there was no revenue recognition. The main ledger is a merge of all different types of data so it's hard to use.

We moved away because our use case has customers not activated simultaneously with the payment (manual activation is required) which is common in B2B and that is just not supported well.

Pascale D.

Helpful but could be a little more flexible

Reviewed on 11/09/2019

Pros

Easy to get an overview of our client's subscription plan and payment options.
Makes invoicing process much easier for us.

Cons

Could be a little more flexible. For exemple, some clients with overdue payments call us to notify that they sent us a cheque. But we can't switch Payment method from Automatic to Invoicing until they pay by credit card.

Zelma W.

Intuitive

Reviewed on 18/09/2017

Pros

Chargify is easy to use straight out of the box and most activities are intuitive. I like that you are able to give users different levels of access and the reporting is very robust. Their customer service is top-notch!

Cons

Most payment software provides the user id for transactions and Chargify currently doesnt have this feature. We have multiple people across different sites processing transactions and it is hard to keep track of who does what.

Jakub L.

Software that does not disappoint

Reviewed on 11/09/2019

Pros

For me, as a QA in company it's easy to use. Honestly, we didn't even once have problems with it. It just works.

Cons

I heard from those who configure it, it was not really easy to do it but if you did in once, that's done and you can forget about it.

Louise S.
  • Industry: Media Production

Support is so helpful!

Reviewed on 20/02/2019

Thanks to Chargify we are not limited to just one way of working. Being able to use the webhooks and API's are going to come in handy and allow us to create an eco-system for our customers. We have be able to move away from the standard systems that our customers industry uses, this excites them and us.

Pros

I love how I can make Chargify do whatever I need for my company to succeed. If we need something in particular, so far Chargify has been able to do it.

The Support team are so friendly and easy to communicate with, they are helpful and always have a solution.

Cons

I look forward to when Chargify offer more renewal EDM options.

Ben S.

Chargify Rocks!

Reviewed on 22/02/2019

They are the shopping cart of choice for me

Pros

Great price, excellent customer service and excellent functionality.

Cons

The receipts aren't ideal for showing UK VAT reporting and take a fair bit of complex configuration. With time their development team will fix this I'm sure.

Kent L.

Quality

Reviewed on 13/02/2019

Quality company that has helped me out when I have needed it.

Pros

Functionality. It is user friendly and is soft on the eyes.

Cons

There could be increased functionality. I do wish some of the information was better consolidated.

Alisha I.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Good so far

Reviewed on 05/09/2019

Pros

The ability to pro-rate charges is very helpful, we were not able to do this in our old system. The ability to add different coupons to line items is also helpful.

Cons

The transferring of our previous database has been very difficult. The upload template doesn't always work perfectly and the process of adding a subscription involves a lot of steps.

Aleksandra S.

Reviewed on 05/09/2019

Pros

For the most part it's easy to use and intuitive

Cons

Can't upload users in bulk. Can't undo a transaction. Not always clear the best way to apply payments

Carole S.

I like it!

Reviewed on 22/02/2019

Great customer support. Product management available to listen

Pros

Simple, easy to use interface. Configuration is straightforward

Cons

No reporting capabilities. Simply filtering is not good enough.

George K.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Great Software

Reviewed on 05/09/2019

Pros

Easy to use, robust API, and powerful administrator dashboard

Cons

Nothing major. API documentation sometimes does not exactly match actual responses.

• Industry: Research

Reviewed on 15/02/2019

Pros

The ease of looking up customers. Checking out the history on accounts.

Cons

It can be a little bit confusing when it comes to the coupon feature.