1,263 reviews

Todoist

To-do list & task manager to organise your life and work.

4.6 /5 (1263 reviews) Write a Review!
4.6
Industry: Accounting
Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Why TODOIST is a Designer Student Best friend

Reviewed on 17/10/2020

My overall experience with TODOIST is great, I can track my tasks and see milestones and adjust their deadlines.

Pros

I like TODOIST because it has a very friendly interface, I can easily access my tasks and track them, and set deadlines for them.

Cons

Unfortunately, some necessary functions are paid, and micro companies with smaller teams may find it difficult to purchase paid features.

Yoana B.
Company size: Self Employed

Works really well until I had too many tasks and then...overwhelm!

Reviewed on 27/08/2020

I really like the interace and ease of use, it's one of my favorite apps in terms of the UI. It's a really quick setup, the fonts are clean and easy to read, the tags and projects are colored nicely, it just wasn't the app that helped me actually get things done.

Pros

While I was using this software, I really liked the sleek and modern interface to add new tasks. It was quick, easy, and the UI was awesome. I wish all task management apps had an UI like Todoist. The tagging feature was also super quick to add, which saves me time adding tasks.

The feature to reschedule tasks I didn't do based on the load for my week was good, not as good as Skedpal (which is why I switched) but better than I've seen in other task managemetn apps I've tried and used.

I also really liked the minimalism of the screen, I never felt that it was too clunky or too many options being displayed at once and overwhelming me.

Cons

The reason I switched is because I had so many tasks added in I became overwhelmed. This isn't necessarily the apps fault, I should add time in my calendar to do a weekly review, etc... but it just wasn't happening. I switched to SkedPal because it schedules the tasks for me on my calendar, ensuring I get them done. With ToDoist, if something didn't get done, I would have an overdue task, and then need to schedule it into my calendar myself and spend time figuring out what time slot, etc..., then go back to Todoist if the time didn't work out, etc... it wasn't flexible enough to auto schedule and place it on my calendar with the option to roll over to the next day if not completed. (At least at the time that I used it). If it's not on my calendar, it doesn't get done because other things will fill my calendar and then I'm out of time and my Todoist tasks are not completed.

Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

A Highly Capable Task Management System

Reviewed on 21/12/2018

This software has been highly effective at helping me track not only personal tasks but organize business projects amongst a team that operates in a non-traditional office environment. By utilizing Todoist, we have ensured more effective tracking and increased our completion rate of tasks. It also allows for an easier sharing of information, allowing everyone to be informed.

Pros

Todoist is an excellent task management system that works well for both personal and business use. It offers the ability to easily organize projects and sub-projects as well as breaking tasks into smaller steps under one heading. It does take a traditional list format, as opposed to the visual card layout of Trello, but many people may find that they prefer this style.

The following features are ones that I have found to be extremely valuable in my roughly two years of using this software:
--Comments - the ability to make multiple comments on a task and even attach files has been great for both my personal and professional project management workflow.
--Assigning tasks - being able to assign tasks to specific team members is great for managing complex projects and tracking accountability.
--Integrations - integrations with popular services such as Outlook, Spark, Slack, Siri, Alexa, etc. make it easy and convenient to add tasks from anywhere. The ability to easily add an email is especially helpful.
--Labels - the ability to label tasks and projects and then filter based on those labels is extremely helpful.
--Natural language input - the ability to quickly and easily add a date, reminder, file in a project, or assign a person during the initial creation step makes it much easier to create detailed tasks.

Overall, I've found this software to be useful and would highly recommend both the free and premium versions.

Cons

Sometimes, depending on the OS, the interface can be funky. For example, I find the interface for iOS/mobile to be slightly harder to use when it comes to easily rearranging projects/tasks or making comments quickly.

I'd also like to see better visual organization in the form of custom icons for tasks. Though the ability to change colors exists, this often isn't enough during complex use. It would also be highly useful to assign tasks to multiple people or groups, instead of one particular person.

Richard S.

An elegant cross-platform project manager that works wonderfully for individuals and small teams.

Reviewed on 19/01/2018

I've used Todoist for over 4 years, and it helps me manage both my work and personal projects. I use it for everything from grocery lists to large software development projects, and it works great no matter how big the project gets.
The flexibility has made a huge difference. Over the years I've changed the way I work, and instead of having to go search for a new app, I can just change the labels and filters that I use to create a completely different workflow.
I love that I can access my tasks and projects on my computer, phone, tablet, and even directly within Gmail. This makes it a great place to capture things that I want to do later. It's helped me stay on top of things and succeed in school, work, and at home.

Pros

I enjoy the incredible language recognition that makes it easy to capture tasks, set due dates, priorities, organize tasks by project, and apply custom labels to tasks. It's very simple and easy to use, which is uncommon among professional project management apps.
It is easy to break projects into sub-projects, and use sub-tasks to help break big tasks into manageable pieces. This makes it a perfect fit for small businesses or teams.
It also has great collaboration features, such as sharing tasks with others, assigning tasks and sub-tasks to individuals, and attaching files and comments to tasks or projects.
Todoist has an app for every operating system, including browsers, phones, desktops, the web, and even smart watches. I personally love the Chrome browser extension and Gmail integration.
I love the custom filters, they are incredibly powerful and allow you to build your own workflows. I use filters and labels to organize my tasks by location, by priority, by the amount of time each task will take, and by due date.
Todoist integrates with many other products such as Google Calendar, DropBox, Google Drive, Slack, Google Assistant, and dozens more. Todoist works hard to be everywhere and integrate with everything, making it a really powerful tool.

Cons

Todoist only lets you view your tasks in list form. Most project planning tools give you a calendar view, a Kanban board view, or some other types of visualizations.
You also can't set due dates on projects themselves, and don't have a way to mark a project as completed. You can compensate for this by using sub-tasks instead, but it can get annoying at times.
The UI is very simple, and doesn't give you much control over themes. You can change the color of the title bar, but that's about it.

Riccardo P.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Optimal choiice

Reviewed on 20/11/2020

I adopted Todoist as my task management tool for many years. I adopted the Premium plan starting from 2014, and never changed.functionalitie

Pros

Ease of use, availability og keyboard shortcuts for task creation.
Features are really rich, especially in the cheap Premium plan.
Tasks can be assigned to project and easily prioritized by means of the user interface or by keyboard combinations (e.g. p1 assigns priority 1, #work assigns the task to project work, and so on).
Filters are a powerful feature. I usually create a specific filter for each week with ease, so that I can check if I completed my tasks for the week.
An useful feature for project management s the availability of sub-tasks.
Can be integrated with a bunch of other apps. I personally adopted the integration with Google calendar and IFTTT so that an event in Calendar becomes a task in Todoist, and/or vice-versa.
The user can also list all the completed activities.

Cons

Considering the completeness of the features, it is difficult to think about further improvements.

Peter anthony G.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Great functionality but too many free alternatives

Reviewed on 02/09/2019

Quite good, but with so many apps going to a subscription they were all adding up and I wondered if Todoist should be where i put money every month.

Pros

When i first saw Todoist the ios app interface was what got me. Swiping to get to what you wanted was at the time quite attractive and useful, and the idea of being able to use natural language to schedule was also new.

Cons

It was overkill for me. I did not need to assign tasks and many of the features i did not use.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Ari B.
Industry: Public Relations & Communications
Company size: Self Employed

Good potential but basic functions missing unless you pay

Reviewed on 05/12/2019

I am often looking at different options for project management and day-to-day task tracking for myself and my clients. I try to test out new products without getting caught up in shiny object syndrome and subscribing to things that may or may not work without thoroughly testing them.

Pros

This could be a good task-tracking app for people who need help organizing their to-do lists by projects and sub-projects. The Karma feature that gamifies getting stuff done might appeal to people who might appreciate the feedback and tracking of productivity. It seemed as though there are a lot of other great features to help you stay on top of your busy life, assuming you think it's worth paying for it.

Syncing between the web and phone apps was seamless and quick, and the ability to easily drag tasks around in one place and see them quickly update in the other is impressive. I have a client who has the full-on paid Business level of ToDoist and they often sing its praises, so if you're willing to purchase the Premium or Business version, this probably will help you stay on top of things in your personal and business life in a way that should help reduce your stress level.

Cons

The free version gives you a taste of what the fully-featured software is capable of, but it is frustrating to keep getting blocked from doing some of the most basic things until you pay for the Premium level. Often, when you create a task, you may find it helpful to include a quick comment or URL regarding what needs to be done. Unfortunately, even short comments aren't allowed until you pay money. Also, labels can be a great way to filter a busy to-do list in a way that helps you maintain order during a busy day. But that also can't even be tried until you pay.

I understand that companies can't be expected to give things away for free, but perhaps they need to move to a free trial period for the Premium product so that people can truly test out the program for at least a week before having to pay for basic functionality that is included in other productivity apps.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Timothy K.
Industry: E-Learning

The Todo app I've been looking for!

Reviewed on 25/06/2020

Been looking for a todo app which has syncing and multi-platform support and this comes out trumps. I can manage my work as well as personal tasks, schedule them, tag them. Coupled with PomoDone app I can timebox the tasks which is a great combo

Pros

Multi-device, syncing, can have hierarchies of tasks, can tag tasks, filter the easily and save filter searches. Android and web app is brilliant in particular

Cons

Reminders on Android could be improved, many of my tasks get swallowed up by other tasks and I miss reminders, being able to address stagnant tasks (ones I keep postponing I have ADHD so it happens a lot), Google Home app could be improved it's annoying to keep asking to talk to todoist instead of adding a task directly, also you can't schedule tasks in Todoist

Julian jacques M.
Industry: Computer Software

Organises my day

Reviewed on 09/09/2019

Pros

Todoist is probably the essential productivity tool I use. It organises all my tasks and helps me to stay on top of everything. The way I can enter new tasks, choose a due date and set a reminder just by typing a natural sentence is incredible​. The iOS app is also great and even allows me to create new tasks with Siri.

Cons

The Windows app sometimes has sync issues, causing tasks to reappear. The recent price increase is a bit too much for what it's offering, but my old account was grandfath​ered in so I personally cannot complain.

Industry: Internet

The one to do list app that I actually use

Reviewed on 22/05/2019

The magic of Todoist is the natural language input. It makes it so easy to add tasks that you actually use it. I've used plenty of to-do list apps in my day but they always become a chore - at some point I'd rather just jot the task down on a sticky note or on the back of my hand. Not with Todoist, it's fast and doesn't require any thinking to get the task down in the app and out of mind - until it needs to be.

Pros

The natural language input is the star of the show here. You can enter something like "Check out the leads inbox every Monday morning" and it will make a repeating task just like that. It just works the way you want it to work, and it's great. This is really key because it takes the thought and effort out of setting up tasks. You enter your items in a way that makes sense to you, without having to struggle with a bunch of menu items.

It sync effortlessly across all your devices and has some nice options for managing larger projects as well.

Cons

Not much, honestly. Their pricing model is very friendly, and the software works great. I guess the UI could be a little more attractive, but that's not what is important here.

I wouldn't use it for managing a major project, it's not the best format for that. But for your day-to-day list of action items Todoist is hard to beat.

James R.

Worth upgrading to Premium

Reviewed on 25/06/2020

Amazing - great support team as well.

Pros

My life runs on Todoist. I use it for work, family things and my personal life. I love the nested task lists and sub-folders. The newest update took that to a whole new level and I love the section you can add to organize things.

Cons

It can be a little hard to get used to, but once you do, you'll never want to leave!

Dave P.

Incredibly easy and agile project management application

Reviewed on 13/10/2016

I've used Todoist Premium for about 18 months. I moved from a very popular Mac GTD app because I use Windows at work, an iPhone, Mac and Linux at home, and I wanted an application that worked everywhere. Todoist is great. The web app has been rock solid and that's my primary interface for using Todoist (there are native Mac & Windows apps along with the expected iPhone/Android apps). It's fast, it uses natural language for task input, and it takes very little time to figure out how everything works together. I still miss a couple of features from the Mac app, but the ubiquity of Todoist has proven to be far more important to me.

I mention my previous experience because Todoist for Business is basically Todoist Premium with some slick collaboration features baked into the application. Sharing a project with your team allows the team to comment on the project or any task within the project. You can attach files/images to a task or link Dropbox/Google Drive. There's a great activity log that will show you your activity for the day as well as the activity of your team members. Note: the activity log only displays activity of shared projects to your team. Your personal tasks remain visible only to you.

Todoist for Business doesn't do everything. No Gantt charts, and the segmentation of different teams is clunky in comparison to other project management apps. Todoist also lacks a certain "polish" of other management apps, but I feel this is partially by design. There's a lot of white space, which reduces the amount of clutter. For a couple of members of our team, that was a key feature. "I don't feel overwhelmed when looking at Todoist" was one comment. Customer support has also been great.

You'll also be hard-pressed to find a better deal. It's only $29 per team member for an entire year. If you're on a tight budget, and don't have a lot of teams in your organization, Todoist may be the right choice for you simply for budgetary reasons.

Todoist takes very little time to learn, so the on-boarding time is minimal. We've started using Todoist for Business on a more consistent basis and we're finding that the lack of clutter and advanced features is actually helping us get more done.

Pros

Ubiquity and ease of use.

Cons

Lack of certain advanced features. More segmentation of teams would be helpful.

Jason L.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

The best out there, but still not good

Reviewed on 04/02/2020

We were looking for a replacement for Wunderlist after Microsoft destroyed it. We wanted shared To Do lists where we could collaborate without having all the extraneous features of something like Monday.com. We have users on PCs, Macs, iPhones, Android phones and need something that will cross over easily. We are trying to close loops without having to use email or meetings.

I use the GTD method, and I was trying to get away from Evernote which I had used for a couple of years. ToDoist doesn't make that easy either, but there's nothing out there that seems to be as perfect for us as Wunderlist was.

Pros

It is available on all platforms. You are able to share comments on items. You are able to get notifications when someone adds an item or comments on an item. The free version is sufficient for most team members.

Cons

Everything is clunky and difficult. The learning curve on something that should be self-evident is steep. For example, integration with Google Assistant is so difficult that it is not a viable option - and this software is owned by Google.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Sharon C.
Industry: Design

Want an app that will help you keep track of projects and chores? Todoist is your new friend

Reviewed on 23/03/2019

Well the pricing can be beat its is very easy to use right away, no lag time. The upgrades are a visual treat, but not necessary. It does exactly what you want it to. Perfect for the busy life.

Pros

This is perfect for people who are just starting out in their business. Or if you are a student and you need to keep track of class lessons and loads. The price is right...its free.There are upgrades on the phone and tablet app. Look for it on google web store and iOs app store. Just add a task, put a completion time and you will get reminders. I love it.

I personally prefer the desktop and tablet versions. It is the ultimate sticky note for busy people. You can put task by priority with colored and flags and set dates. On the phone version you have the options of themes. I love color.

Cons

I love the desk top and tablet versions. In the past the phone version was a little harder to manage for some reason was not as fluid. It has since improved greatly. So if you have this app and you have not upgraded, do so.

Chris V.
Industry: Computer Software

All you need for task management

Reviewed on 29/07/2020

We have been tracking the productivity from earlier to now, and discovered Todoist made a significant change!

Pros

Todoist is amazing! With the many features, beautiful UI and even productivity strategies explained and supported in the app, it's fantastic! It's cheap too!

Cons

I do not really have a lot to complain on. It requires training for employees though. Further, sometimes bugs and glitches occur.

Zeynel A.
Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
Company size: Self Employed

A software, encouraging us to be organized

Reviewed on 27/09/2019

I used to use this software managing may kind of productivity stuff. But its cost cause me resort to other software.

Pros

Todoist has extremely useful interface that allows you to organize your tasks with ease.

You can easily editing your work easily and in one screen. Creating lists containing tasks, managing these lists, moving tasks from one list to another, adding sub-task, setting up due date for the tasks and even subtasks... editing all of them is really simple with Todoist.

There is a effective filter system that helps you direct your focus on certain tasks.

You can also set different priority levels for any task and sort the tasks by priority level. So you can easily figure out which task would require more focus.

There many kind of templates that help you organize your task faster.

You can see all content of different projects at one page with multi-select feature. That makes organizing much more effective and faster.

İt has really good overview option. Karma goal feature and ability to overview my productivity encourage me to work organized.

İntegration with google calendar is precious for me.

Cons

Some feature which are essential for a task management software are exclusive to premium membership. İt is frustrating being have to pay for adding notes and files into task, seeing your task in your calendar. At least these two features should be free.

I can't unite two projects into one folder. As a results there may be a mess.

Josué L.
Industry: Human Resources

Now, I can't picture myself without it.

Used Daily for Free Trial
Reviewed on 25/07/2019

So far, it's great, I'm enjoying it, but I'm not sure I will switch to it after the free trial expires, after all, TickTick is cheaper and has some other features Todoist doesn't have.

Pros

It's fun to use, very intuitive, beautifully designed, with the functions you need and some you didn't think you would need (like the filters feature for example). It's a great tool to be organized and it achieves it in a very neat and straight forward way. You can customize your projects at will and add tons of extras to 'em, comments, attachments, due dates, reminders, tags, etc.

Cons

The recurrent tasks feature can use some improvement. It's pricy compared to TickTick and you're not getting such good recurrent options & Pomodoro timer.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Cory M.
Industry: Music
Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Great for Activity Tracking and Accountability

Reviewed on 24/06/2019

Pros

This is a fantastic piece of software that works as well on the desktop as it does on mobile. Excellent UI and great features for complex tasks that take place over longer periods of time.

Cons

I do wish that the interface supported a Kanban approach, but that's no reason not to use the app!

Industry: Retail

Flexible yet structured productivity tool

Reviewed on 07/01/2019

Pros

- Easily set recurring rhythms by simply keying in things such as "every first workday", "every monday" etc.
- Many products are often either too structured and rigid or too flexible such that you get lost while trying to get it to work. However, Todoist has a great balance of both. There are many guides out there by professionals who have used Todoist for a long time that suggests different ways of utilising Todoist, many of which I've tried and they all are workable and have their pros in their own rights. As such it gives the option to explore what works best for you. But should you just want a simple tool to record down

Cons

When completing a recurring task early, notifications still pop up as reminder when the time comes. But small matter.

Kelly L.
Industry: Accounting

Makes your like more efficient

Reviewed on 19/07/2019

Very good software, it makes your life easier!

Pros

I use Todoist daily, it makes my time much more efficient. I get to know my priority every day. When I get a task accomplished, I feel so satisfying.

Cons

When I finished a task and mark it, it was gone. I wish I can track my task history somewhere.

Alexandria J.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

A great task management tool for individuals and teams.

Reviewed on 10/05/2018

Time and process efficiency. Teams know what tasks need to be completed when and who is responsible for them.

Pros

I really enjoy the different scheduling, assigning, tracking tools available for Premium (Business). I like that you don't have to click so many places to get a task configured too.

Todoist has this capability that can schedule recurring tasks simply by typing "every workday at 6am" and will ensure the task populates every workday at 6am. It allows managers to easily assign tasks and track the progress teams are making on certain tasks.

The comment capabilities and attachment features is a plus too.

Great way to connect teams.

Cons

Not as user friendly for those who are not as familiar with using new applications. Requires more training and getting used to for certain users. Ie: the sub and parent task functionality and keeping everything aligned. But once they get it, it is a hit with them too!

Anil J.
Industry: Automotive
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Helps to make everything with in the schedule

Reviewed on 24/09/2018

Pros

In general a great productivity tool. Whether in personal life or for business purposes, making to-do lists has always been a great step towards being organized. The application is a virtual to-do list make with various added features. Most of the features are available free of cost which is always a great point to start for any user. It helps to make lists, points, and keep track of records. The tool is useful even in offline mode. Therefore, no active internet connection is required.

Cons

It lacks customizability. New features for productivity at different departments could have been very useful. The premium version consists of most of the free version tools. Some of the features are really basic and can be accessed elsewhere.

Jason L.
Industry: Medical Practice

I use todoist to manage ALL of my tasks in business and personally.

Reviewed on 13/12/2017

This software helps keep my personal tasks (whether with business or personal life) in order. It lets me put it down somewhere so I don't have to remember those tasks and feel like I'm behind. I can't imagine getting rid of this software, as it does one thing, and does it well - helps me manage all of my to-do lists!

Pros

I like how simple the software is to use, yet how powerful it can be if you want to organize your lists. Just like normal checklists, it feels good to check things off - and as silly as their "Karma" points system is - it actually feels good to see that number climb. I love that the iPhone and Mac app both work seamlessly with one another - I use both nearly every day.

Cons

There are very few cons, as this software is built to do one thing and do it well. But, a minor issue with the iPhone app is that the direction of swiping the to-do items isn't intuitive, and sometimes I end up swiping the wrong direction and doing the wrong action for that item.

Chloe K.
Industry: Research
Company size: 10,000+ Employees

Revolutionized my Life

Reviewed on 06/02/2020

This should be recommended to everyone! They have a phone app too so you can have your to-do list and add/edit it whenever you want.

Pros

I use this software all day, every single day and recommend it to everyone. I organize my life using Todoist and I especially love how you can organize things by project. As a graduate student, I have tons of projects going on at a time but by having different folders to keep all my to-do lists and being able to reschedule things when I need has revolutionized how productive I am at work.

Cons

I wish you didn't have to pay for the pro version to see your completed tasks. I would feel more accomplished dif I could see a list of all the tasks I completed each day.

Industry: Computer Games

Great to-do and GTD software

Reviewed on 13/03/2018

I was looking for a software that can support my GTD productivity methodology and couldn't find one for a long time. I stumbled upon Toxicity reading a review on one of 5he sites related to productivity and decided to give it a try. It had been indispensable tool for me since, I use it to organize my personal and business life each day. It mad emergency more reproductive and helped me to stick to my obligations.

Pros

It supports all platforms you can think of (including great Windows 10 UWP app), it tries to recognize words like today, tomorrow, it has projects and sub-projects, tags, etc. The Software can easily fully support GTD methodology, it is fast and has reliable syncing. Support from Doist has, so far, been great and prompt.

Cons

Interface between different versions is not consistent. E.g. Windows UWP app looks quite different to Android app (it is better looking definitely) so it takes time to switch from one version to another.