Todoist

4.6 (2,386)
To-do list & task management software for handling projects

(2,386)
4.4/5

Steve
Steve
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

The to-do app I've actually stuck with for a long time

Reviewed on 31/12/2019

It's superb for always being ready to go. I really love the Android widget that always sits on my home screen right next to my calendar and weather. It shows my task list for the day and I have no excuse for not knowing what needs doing.

Pros

I have used Todoist for almost 3 years now and it's the one to-do product that I seem to be able to stick with. I went through a variety of to-do-list managers before this, but somehow because of the wide range of platforms that it supports, including a browser extension, a native Windows app, mobile apps, and a native Mac app, Todoist meets my needs really well. So I guess the feature I like the most is it's ubiquity and speed--it's always close at hand. It can even be the default to-do manager on an Alexa device, which is really nice because you don't have to say "open Todoist" or something like that.

Cons

The free version is really limited. I had the paid version for quite a while and then switched back, but miss a few of the paid features. Even simple things like seeing completed to-dos aren't available unless you pay, so consider the free tier to be VERY limited.

Eladio

Best in the market solution for task management

Reviewed on 18/10/2023

I love the app. It works in every devide. Easy and fast. It is a must to have for me

Pros

It is fast and easy to add a new task. There are plenty of shortcuts to create, schedule and program recurrent tasks, from everywhere in tyour computer

Cons

I use Todoist for both work and grocery list. The day I go to the supermarket I eliminate tons of tasks (items ti buy). That completely misrepresent the real work I'm doing that day and ruins the Karma count in the app.

Andrew

Todoist

Reviewed on 31/01/2021

Overall, my experience with Todoist has been good. Personally, it helps manage to-do lists and makes prioritization simpler, but there is a lot of room for improvement when it comes to ease of use and automation to make the tool more adaptable and easier to manage. I love it for my personal to-do list, but it is not the best software for across team collaboration and milestone tracking.

Pros

Todoist makes managing personal to-do lists extremely easy and is extremely straightforward. It's tools to help prioritize are helpful and their smart scheduling features takes a lot of anxiety out of managing prioritization and time every week. Including sub-tasks and notes makes it easier to track progress and next steps while working in an extremely fast-paced environment.

Cons

While the features that Todoist offer are strong, there is a lot to be desired. Adding sub-tasks is a great feature, but adding the time and priority makes the task list more difficult to manage because the sub-task is not tied to the specific main goal. It is extremely difficult to track milestones and project progress and sometimes the features make to-do lists more convoluted, which includes more manual work to declutter and prioritize effectively.

Noxolo
Noxolo
  • Industry: Accounting Software

• Customer Support Software

My overall impression of todoist

Reviewed on 26/01/2024

Pros

I love how easy it is for me to plan my daily, weekly and even monthly activities, assignments and personal activities. Todoist makes it easy for me to be productive, plan, and complete my tasks.

Cons

I wish that I somehow had a section where one can write about their overall day, for example, a journal section where I can write paragraphs.

Karen
Karen
  • Industry: Research

Excellent features and easy to use

Reviewed on 04/10/2023

Easy to use across every platform I have.

Easy to use across every platform I have.

Pros

works across multiple platformsintegrates into other systems without needing admin rightsProvides a lot of functionality such as multiple lists, schedulingHas several different productivity systems built in that you can use and learn as you go along

Cons

I honestly cannot think of anything that needs improving!

Jae

• Customer Support Software

Todoist: The Task Management Across All Platforms.

Reviewed on 20/11/2023

I have able to use Todoist for years and NEVER missed a beat of Task that I am Working On.

Pros

The Cost and the EASE of USE! I was able to start using Immediately.

Cons

There is not anything that I dislike about this product and have been using for YEARS!

Craige
Craige

Very decent product

Reviewed on 17/11/2023

really good it works well and allows for planning

really good it works well and allows for planning

Pros

scales well with the size of your business or team

Cons

folder limit - decent but can be limiting if you prefer to use multiple projects

Microsoft To Do and Evernote Teams

Reasons for Choosing Todoist

todoist was simply way easier to use and learn

Reasons for Switching to Todoist

ease of use and integration with external tools and workflows
  • Industry: Hospitality

Really good to track personal goals

Reviewed on 04/10/2023

Really good, I use it for my personal tasks and business tasks when it's just me in charge of the tasks.

Pros

It's easy to use, intuitive and their free tier is a good fit for most of the people, also the paid tier really worth it

Cons

When using in big teams is not so easy to manage the tasks, it gets a little difficult and complex

Trello

Reasons for Switching to Todoist

Todoist free plan is really good and for personal uses i preferred Todoist. Also their mobile app is minimalist and really easy to use.
Jonathan
  • Industry: Supermarkets
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Limited free version, Expensive premium product

Reviewed on 14/01/2024

I found the product really easy to use but couldn't justify spending £48 (also $48, rip-off exchange rate) per year on creating to do lists and a bit of scheduling. The free version is inadequate; even a free product such as google calendar can alert you when something is due.

Pros

Really easy to use
Natural language for repeating tasks
Sub - tasks to break things down in to detail

Cons

Expensive subscription based model
No reminder alerts in the free version
Didn't find it easy to see when a task was repeating

Great for Managing Employees

Reviewed on 26/03/2024

Pros

Easily see what everyone is working on each day. Share across multiple people with minimal effort.

Cons

Linking dependencies can sometimes be troublesome.

Faith
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Keeps Us Organized and On Task

Reviewed on 17/01/2020

Todoist has been a game-changer for us. Its ease of use and interactive feedback helps us stay focused and achieve goals. They continue to work to improve it and a recent update has made using the app even easier. We are never without it when on-site or in the workroom.

Pros

We are theatre costumers who costume 12-14 shows a year. We use Todoist to keep track of all actors and their various costumes needed and the tasks required to complete those costumes. We love how easy it is to add new tasks to an existing one and how flexible each task can be. We can add a due date, assign a team member, and use labels to let us know what needs to be done or where it needs to be retrieved or bought from. It celebrates your productivity and emails you if a task is overdue as well as a report of how you did for the week. We can always tell if we did not use Todoist as faithfully as we should have during a project and in meetings the response to "How do we stay on task and organized?" is always "Remember to update and use Todoist!"

Cons

There is a 300 task limit to every project and we can easily hit that when we are first starting out and getting everything laid out for a show. It would also be nice to add an entire team to a project instead of individuals one at a time.

Basecamp

Reasons for Choosing Todoist

Producteev's setup was a bit clunky. We didn't dislike it, but it was not incredibly intuitive to use when it came to our needs so we decided to shop around and see if there was something we liked better.

Reasons for Switching to Todoist

Basecamp was too expensive for our small operation. Todoist, while not having all of the features we loved about Basecamp, was still easy to use, organize, and its price range was within our budget.
Zeynel
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

• Customer Support Software

One of the sofware I wish I had been used before

Reviewed on 24/02/2021

I use Todoist for almost anything in my life. From managing complex project to editing watching, reading shopping list, to scheduling my workout plan to tracking my monthly progress and so on. I also use this software as a bookmark tool for something I need to watch, read or write later. It is like part of my life.

Pros

* It provides almost anything you expect from a productivity app.
* Not only does it help you to create or manage your task but it also motivate you with its feature of karma level.
* The feature of 2 way sync with Google Calendar is great. I can easily schedule my task and plan my day in a calendar, without even have to open Todoist. Being able to create new sub-calendar in your calendar for each project in Todoist, is even better.
* You can create sub-tasks in sub-task in a subs-task and so on. Moreover, for each sub-task, you can add due date, notes. And this feature is really precious while you working on complex project.
* Sorting and grouping features make task management more effective.
* There are shortcuts for almost all stuff. Just typing with keyboard, you can add task, set the due date and priority level and move it to any project. That makes editing projects even faster.
* There are board and list view options. It is really helpful while dealing with different types of projects.
* There are well-organized templates to create a project faster.
* You can create so many project and easily edit, sort, or group them.
* Scheduling options are more than enough. It is so powerful editing recurring tasks.
* Maybe some of the features require payment but I can't complain about it because it is not so expensive and it is effective enough without it premium feature.

Cons

* Although its 2-way sync with Calendars is really powerful, it would better if there was a calendar view option.
* Sometimes, there may be a sync problems with Calendar apps.
* I used to monitor multi-project in one screen. But I cannot do it anymore, after the new updates.
* There could be habit tracker option for recurring tasks .

Ami

Perfect Your Productivity With Todoist, Not Your Trello Board

Reviewed on 21/02/2022

I've used them all. From AirTable to ClickUp. From Asana to Trello. I liked them all for two weeks, and then I got lost in the formulas. I desperately just wanted something that looked like a to-do list.

I'm fairly tech-savvy. I'm used to Excel spreadsheets, and I enjoy automation. But when it comes to project management, I found that I was spending more time sorting out my Trello boards (or any other board) to be presentable, set up automations, and generally maintain it, than actually getting work done.

I'm a copywriter, and my business revolves around creating copy for clients. As such, time management is a massive part of what I do. So, I needed to find something that was simple, presented clearly, and easily edited.

Then I found todoist. It's brilliantly straightforward. You need to set up different 'workspaces', but it's literally just different lists. I use a different list for different clients. They can see only their list, and no one else's. Then, click the + button to add tasks. You can add subtasks, too, which is super useful.

I personally LOVE the noise it makes when you cross off one of your tasks. A super pleasing 'click' like noise. You can set daily goals of the number of tasks you want to complete, too, which is good for productivity.

Overall, Todoist has a really simple design, and an even simpler user-experience. But that's why I love it so much.

Pros

I love how straightforward Todoist is to use. The design is clean and clear, and everything about it is just as simple. I was fed up with the complex formulas of other project management software.
I'm a massive fan of the subtasks feature. You can create smaller tasks underneath a bigger task, which, as a copywriter, is very useful. I can pop in tasks like 'Competitor Research', and then place subtasks under this that help me finalize the task.

I also love that you can set notifications as deadlines. It's almost like an alarm that pings when you need to get something done. You can customize it, too, to send you reminders a certain number of days ahead of time. That helps your productivity massively.

You can also add on clients to your lists, so they can monitor the progress that has been made.

Cons

There are no massive negatives to this software. There are areas they could grow. AirTable, for example, has automations that you can set up. So, if a task has been completed, an automatic email (which you can customize) is sent to the client informing them a task has been completed. If Todoist wanted to do something like that, I think it's important for them to remember that their appeal is simplicity, so it would need to be consistent with that.

Jaden

Simplicity, Speed, & Ease Of Use

Reviewed on 25/10/2022

Pros

What makes Todoist stand out is it's streamlined design. The design itself is minimal and clean. You organize tasks into projects, and those projects can be organized into sub-projects. One of it's best features is natural language input: you can set the due date, priority, project, labels, and more all in the name of the task. This makes it super fast to create & edit tasks, and makes it easy to get ideas out of your head and into Todoist.

Cons

The one feature I want Todoist to have is custom features. At the moment you can create "filters", which allow you to show tasks filtered by due date, project, label, etc. However the tasks always show up in a list style view. I would love it if you could display the filter in an alternate view such as a kanban board, or any of the other views offered by ClickUp's dashboards or Notion's database views.

Craig

• Customer Support Software

Todoist - A flexible and value for money work and project management tool

Reviewed on 21/04/2023

Very positive real world use experience over the last few years and ensures nothing is missed or forgotten and all project/stakeholder requests/asks are quickly captured and integral to how my team operates.

Pros

The ease of use for creating different 'project' areas that have unique project stages and tasks. These projects can often be repetitive in approach and nature and the ability to create 'template' saves time, improves consistency and quality of project delivery and contributes to project delivery success.Integrations with other cloud tools/email provides greater flexibility and completeness ensuring all tasks are captured at point of creation and no requests/tasks are forgotten.

Cons

Nothing so far - very flexible tool, available across desktop/webapp/smart devices and the price is very good for smaller organisations and teams to have a very capable project/task management solution.

Microsoft Project and Slack

Reasons for Switching to Todoist

Overall, the flexibility and ease of use in creating workflow that fitted how my team works, the great pricing, integration options, ease of initial set up and the number of options for working with the product ensure access to the product and features are never far away.
Alexi

Never Forget a Thing and Get it Done

Reviewed on 16/02/2022

Pros

I love how intuitive and pretty the interface is, meaning, that I am not discouraged or afraid to open the software. The most important feature is definitely the natural language processing that is extremely intuitive and understand what I try to do.

Cons

If you are bilingual or write tasks in multiple languages, the software may become confused.

Asana

Reasons for Choosing Todoist

Todoist has a card view which redeems Trello useless as it isn't very different.

Trello

Reasons for Switching to Todoist

Simpler and has a free tier to get started.

Changed how I work & live

Reviewed on 14/05/2019

I use Todoist to manage just about everything I do, in the office and out. I've found it is particularly useful for breaking up lengthy task lists into day-to-day chunks of activity, as well as for creating plans for long-term work that needs to be picked at over time. With Todoist, I find myself much less likely to forget tasks that need doing, and to approach my work in an organized, methodical fashion.

Pros

No exaggeration, adopting Todoist as the app for tracking projects, chores, and other to-dos had a profound benefit to my productivity. The interface is fantastic, and integrations with IFTTT, Google Calendar, and heaps of other software makes it easy to automate the addition of tasks to your list or schedule.

The reminders, though, are what really changed the game for me. Being able to schedule reminders not only for particular dates and times, but for when you enter particular areas is an incredible benefit. For instance, it makes it easier remember to pick something up when you're physically at the store, or to check on the status of a project as soon as you arrive at work.

Finally, the karma and productivity streak systems, for those who like a little gamification, are nice tools for motivating yourself to stay on top of things.

Many of these features require or work best with a Premium subscription, which I endorse purchasing, but Todoist is also a great app as a free service. Try it out; you won't be disappointed.

Cons

The biggest issue I have with Todoist is that while the web and mobile applications are top-notch, the Windows 10 native app is missing features, particularly in regards to notifications. Sync is also inconsistent with that app. It's easy enough to get by without touching the native app, but I would love to see it fixed.

• Customer Support Software

What Did I Do Before Todoist?

Reviewed on 21/08/2019

I've definitely seen myself become more productive with the integration of Todoist in my life. I've gotten in a good habit of writing tasks down in Todoist as they come so I'm not forgetting anything. I love that you can just easily have the list in front of you at all times to constantly remember what you have to do. The biggest thing has been the reoccurring tasks - I've been able to keep up with some tasks that can be menial and sometimes slip to the back burner on busy days. I love tracking my progress and really seeing how much I have improved with Todoist.

Pros

What I love about Todoist is how easy it is to organize all my to-dos and tasks for a day and where they fall on my list of priorities. I love being able to quickly jot things down as I'm running from meeting to meeting and integrate it into my Outlook so I get reminders if something slips. Having the option to make something occur weekly has also helped me remember things that sometimes I can let fall in the back of my mind. I've been able to track my progress on how well I've been doing and seeing the number of recurring tasks that I have kept after is so rewarding. As a visual person, I love the color coding to help with prioritizing. It also helps when you have multiple teams in Todoist, so you can assign them the tasks and they know which level of priority the tasks are. Overall, Todoist has changed the game in how I organize and get things done.

Cons

Sometimes I do experiences glitches with the Outlook plug in and the tasks don't always integrate with my calendar to update me. I also can get too many updates for my recurring tasks sometimes as well, which doesn't happen too often, but is still something that can throw me off through the weeks. Sometimes the templates available aren't always the most efficient for that area of work (i.e. the content calendar one is a little too simple and doesn't always organize the content super clearly). There aren't that many cons to Todoist in my opinion!

Souhil
Souhil
  • Industry: Design

The Best To Do List Tool for Everyone

Reviewed on 11/12/2020

It helped me to save a lot of time and stay focused on what's important because now I know what I have to do daily and everything is saved in the app.
I tried a lot of To-Do List apps and after trying Todoist I can say I finally found what I'm looking for and I'm really happy with it and I will recommend it to anyone who needs a To-Do List app.

Pros

I love it because It's Free and easy to use and I like the clean user interface because It's user friendly and everyone can get used to it in a few minutes also, I like the dark theme option.
I like the Productivity tracking feature because now I can see all the completed tasks and I can set daily and weekly goals.
The clean UI is amazing and without any complicated stuff, you can add projects, labels, and filters with just a few clicks.
The mobile app for me is the best because it has all the features and it's very easy and with a clean and simple user interface.
I can sort my Tasks by priority, project, name or by date, or even by the assignee.
I like the Inbox because I can write my ideas or any general tasks and things I need to do and things I don't need to create a project for them.
Today and Upcoming section are great because I see just what I need to do for example today and I really don't need to worry about tomorrow's tasks...etc.and this gives me the motivation I need to start working and finishing my daily tasks.
I like the cards and how easy I can move them between the sections and also, I like the sub-tasks option because it helped me to stay organized.
I like the Emails I get and this is a cool way to remind me if I missed a task or something.
I can schedule any task using their calendar option and I can have like one week or one month calendar.
There is a lot of helpful YouTube videos about this tool and I learned a lot from them.

Cons

They can add a note-taking option for us because sometimes we need to take quick notes.
They can add a built-in Emoji feature to add some fun and cool stuff to our Lists and Projects.
They can add more helpful features for us in the near future.

Arturo
Arturo

Your ideal project assistant for you or your team

Reviewed on 25/05/2022

The concept of Todoist is not just to write down reminders and that's all, for that we have the notes app that gives us the same phone, but what they try to do is to have this continuous tracking to help you complete your goals, pending tasks that you need to do in your daily life. Also being able to work collaboratively on hundreds of projects that the app offers you, is something to talk about, as it helps your organization to always be effective and be able to keep track of what we have not done, and what we have done as a team.

Pros

I loved the ease of this software to be able to tell you and guide you through all the functions that Todoist has, since being able to create projects and pending tasks for the day, for the week, or the weekend is too easy because the app feels very dynamic and even satisfies you every time you meet a pending goal.
In terms of price, it is extremely economical, since you have 300 active projects that are for more "pro" people as the platform would say since it offers collaborative work in the same way and has these frequent reminders so you never forget or miss something or pending goal. And of course, you have an automatic backup at any time.

Cons

It may be because of the limited functions that you get when using the free plan since they only give you 5 active projects and you don't have reminders, you do have them but you get them by your email, instead of in the pro you have more customization in all this topic. But being frank, for that person who does not have so many pending in the day today, it is perfect because you do not ask for more and the app is excellent.

Notion
Mark

• Customer Support Software

Excellent task-tracking for individual and small teams

Reviewed on 08/01/2023

I've used Todoist for tracking personal tasks, joint projects with another person, and start-up projects with small teams - in all cases it has been great for the job so far. For larger groups or more developed projects I can appreciate why teams would migrate to something more feature like Jira or Asana, but I don't think that's the market segment Todoist is aiming to address at the moment.

Pros

- Parsing and recognition of due dates, priorities, projects and tagged users is almost flawless and really speeds up task creation, especially the amount of flexibility in specifying due dates and recurring tasks.- Multiple views for projects allows the tool to be adapted for each - simple task lists, hierarchal lists, and even a kanban-style view.- The combo of labels and custom filters can be very powerful if you're willing to invest a bit of setup time.

Cons

- Over the last year or two Todoist have moved more features behind paywalls - not a problem for commercial users, but I don't like how it will be impacting individual users or start-up teams using the free version.- Release quality/QA isn't the highest. Bugs are usually fixed quickly, but more of them make it into production briefly that I would expect.

Asana
Martha
  • Industry: Food & Beverages
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

You can do it with Todoist

Reviewed on 26/08/2021

I have been managing my daily tasks at personal and home level. My general testimony is that for every task I have for that day, if I have it on todoist, I know I'll do it.

Pros

The first thing that will capture your attention is the logo itself. The symbol of three white ticks in a red background gives an inner feeling of success amidst a dangerously busy day.
The app has both a free version and a paid version. The paid version is priced from $4 to $5 per person per month, which is reasonable.
When you open the app, you are welcome with the Bird's eye view of your week. You plan your tasks and fill them into the timeslots of your choice, so you can see how your week appears on the dashboard. This helps you to readjust your plans sensibly.
Todoist works perfectly well on almost all well-known platforms. You have all the assurance to find your data on every gadget you use, because everything is synched, making you less likely to forget a thing.
Todoist can also work flawlessly on your device without a data connection and still sync everything when you are back online.
You'll find Todoist most suitable for personal routine or daily quick plans and tasks. You can share tasks with family members and set reminders at intervals of your choice.
The app can be integrated with various productivity applications like Google calendar, Jira, Slack, zendesk, Gmail, Outlook, Teams Zapier, etc.
I also like the swiftness and the AI applied in Todoist. As you type your task in the text box, the app automatically detects time and date in your sentence and accurately sets a reminder at that specific date and time.

Cons

I have not experienced any problem with the application so far. I would have said it here. If I am to compare with other apps under the same category, I am sure I was going to have complaints.

Yaroslav
  • Industry: Higher Education Software

Your personal assistant everyday, everywhere || Best portable task manager

Reviewed on 09/05/2018

Pros

*Flexibility
You can use browser, android, ios, windows, mac device, apple watch, android wear or even use a gmail or outlook.
Todoist is right there for you.

*UI
It has the most welcoming UI of all todo managers. Of course, tastes are different. But I believe, no-one would disagree that Todoist is well made and developed with Love.

*Scalability and features

No being a full scale CRM does not stop Todoist from having everything you might want to have for your everyday simple lists, reminders and tasks. Todoist offers such features as a great approach to structure of tasks, flawless work on the prioritizing tasks and creating simple lists.

*Integrations and little things
Todoist offers a broad range of features out of the box, such as projects, links as tasks, scheduling and calendar integration.

You always forget to pick up or buy something. Or want to prepare for the day by creating a simple todo - this app is for YOU.

Cons

1. More integrations needed. First of all calendars - at the moment the work there is mostly messy and is not optimized. It would be nice to have it in a compact and comfortable tab (calendar tab) and also add calendars on the go and display tasks or meeting in todoist. That would be a huge leap ahead.

2. Pricing of Todoist is not smart, to my humble opinion. First of all, they don't offer monthly payments, why not? Yes, I agree it's cheaper to pay for a year. But what if I am not sure. There are many todo apps and the pricing might be the only thing that would stop people from using todoist constantly, students for example. Would it not be nice to have more flexibility and options there.

Praveen
Praveen

Your User Friendly Productivity app but not Feature Rich

Reviewed on 17/05/2022

I love Todoist for the ease of use but the features are lacking. I love Amazing Marvin for its features but it is not easy to use. I wish Todoist can inspire from other advanced productivity tools in market and add more features.

Pros

I love the task scheduling feature in Todoist because it can convert plain text to due dates automatically. Quick reschedule feature saves a lot of time. In a nutshell it is mid tier in features but top tier in ease of use for the features it offers. The gamification feature (karma points) are basic but does the job to keep me engaged to keep using Todoist and stay productive.

Cons

The workflow management is basic and a lot to be desired here. You can create a board style project but there are no automations not even basic like close the task when I move to Done section. They can improve gamification a lot to keep people more engaged. Procrastination counter can be a great help for procrastinators like me to know how many times I have rescheduled a task.

From 10 different task management apps to one! starstarstarstarstar

Reviewed on 26/07/2020

Pros

Task management and to do lists had always been a tedious chore for me. I've had to try and use way too many applications and plugins to keep track of my todo list and tasks. Then I found todoist, and most of my problems got sorted instantly. Todoist has a simple intuitive interface for adding new tasks and viewing tasks/project lists. But don't let that fool you, as it is super powerful and as detailed as you'd like it to be. Todoist also integrates with every other programme I use. The Outlook integration can turn my emails into tasks instantly, and the same can be done with Gmail. It also integrates with Google Chrome allowing me to add tasks on the go, whether I need to add a note about a website link to read later or even create a research project based on a published paper I found. I also enjoy using the geo-location reminder, especially when I am running errands around town, as todoist would immediately remind me to pick up the laundry or buy bread as I get closer to my favorite bakery.

Cons

Generally, there is nothing that I did not like about Todoist. However, after a few attempts with project managers to adapt them to use todoist as a simplified project manager app were met with failure, I realized that most PMs still prefer old clangy solutions over new simpler ones (the same issue was faced when trying to adopt basecamp internally).