Todoist

4.6 (2,393)
To-do list & task management software for handling projects

(2,393)
4.4/5

Steve
Steve
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

The to-do app I've actually stuck with for a long time

Reviewed on 31/12/2019

It's superb for always being ready to go. I really love the Android widget that always sits on my home screen right next to my calendar and weather. It shows my task list for the day and I have no excuse for not knowing what needs doing.

Pros

I have used Todoist for almost 3 years now and it's the one to-do product that I seem to be able to stick with. I went through a variety of to-do-list managers before this, but somehow because of the wide range of platforms that it supports, including a browser extension, a native Windows app, mobile apps, and a native Mac app, Todoist meets my needs really well. So I guess the feature I like the most is it's ubiquity and speed--it's always close at hand. It can even be the default to-do manager on an Alexa device, which is really nice because you don't have to say "open Todoist" or something like that.

Cons

The free version is really limited. I had the paid version for quite a while and then switched back, but miss a few of the paid features. Even simple things like seeing completed to-dos aren't available unless you pay, so consider the free tier to be VERY limited.

Wiktor

Not enough integration in Todoist

Reviewed on 27/06/2023

I used to for both personal and bussiness needs for a few moths. But as my bussiness grow and i wanted to manage my personal tasks more consistently, i needed integration with other software. Since Todoist did not provide enough integration options, i had to switch to other software.

Pros

Elegant design, speed and some intuitive, easy to learn features in the field of task and project managment,

Cons

It doesn't have enough integration with other softwares. Since I can't reasonably connect it to my e-mail, my calendar, my notes taking app, the value of Todoist drops down.

Microsoft To Do

Reasons for Choosing Todoist

Searching for quicker, more easily adjustable software, which would meet my personal and bussiness needs.

Reasons for Switching to Todoist

Todoist is nicer, more elegant, faster and more advanced.
Maisarah
Maisarah
  • Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

Todoist is the best for To-do-list

Reviewed on 03/03/2021

This software has really helping me to coordinate my time, task and schedule in central hub. The integration with other service like outlook and Zoho Notebook is giving more value to this software. Overall,I really like this software.

Pros

Todoist has really improve my effectiveness in managing my to-do-list and recurring daily task in my schedule. Its board and card layout is easy to drag around and i really like this style of task management because it is easy to see my overall task.

Cons

There are not much feature and tools that i can use to build a more complex or project with detailed resource. Todoist will constantly sending me a notification for unfinished task and sometimes it is a distraction that i don't need.

Andrea
Andrea

How to Get The Right Things Done

Reviewed on 10/02/2024

I have tried soooo many task trackers for myself and my team. This one is easy to start with and has a beautiful array of features to meet you as you grow and get more projects done. Highly recommend!

Pros

I love the prioritization features and the blogs/quick tips for spending less time thinking/tracking tasks and more time doing them.

Cons

The default email notifications were a bit too frequent for me but I found that easy to customize in settings.

zoie
zoie
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

• Customer Support Software

It's simply the BEST tool to get and stay organized.

Reviewed on 20/12/2023

Basically, there was life before Todoist and life after. I prefer the "after". Todoist has become an integral part of my day-to-day organizing and productivity. Both my personal and professional tasks and projects are on the app. I'm using it throughout the day to keep me on task. It has become essential and I've never had a glitch or problem. Highly recommend.

Pros

I love the really clean look of the app on all of my devices. It makes organizing and keeping track of Tasks and Projects easy, intuitive, and rewarding. I also love that Todoist is so easy to integrate with other software. I have it integrated with Google Calendar, Drafts, and Obsidian. Todoist has made my digital life organized, productive, and efficient. This is a great app.

Cons

Todoist is super easy to set up and use. It's very intuitive, but it also has some features that go beyond just the basics of a "To Do" list. The more advanced features like tags and categorizing will require a time investment to learn. If you want that level of organization it's worth the effort.

Craige
Craige

Very decent product

Reviewed on 17/11/2023

really good it works well and allows for planning

really good it works well and allows for planning

Pros

scales well with the size of your business or team

Cons

folder limit - decent but can be limiting if you prefer to use multiple projects

Microsoft To Do and Evernote Teams

Reasons for Choosing Todoist

todoist was simply way easier to use and learn

Todo Something

Reasons for Switching to Todoist

ease of use and integration with external tools and workflows
Samiran
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

• Customer Support Software

All about to doist (good?)

Reviewed on 17/03/2024

Ofcourse it's a best app for making your tasks complete and makeing a productive day

Pros

It's very simple to use and very effective 😄

Cons

It's need some extra features and stylish interface

Mo'men
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Eng : Momen zidan

Reviewed on 15/04/2024

its amazing experience , especially if you work in big team.

its amazing experience , especially if you work in big team.

Pros

connecting the whole team together so you can easily follow the work

Cons

you can use it from many different devices .

• Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Great for Managing Employees

Reviewed on 26/03/2024

Pros

Easily see what everyone is working on each day. Share across multiple people with minimal effort.

Cons

Linking dependencies can sometimes be troublesome.

eva

Clear and simple to integrate

Reviewed on 02/04/2024

Pros

I like the simplicity and clean, no-nonsense approach.

Cons

I miss a bit of the visuals and it may lack a bit of aesthetic appeal.

Faith
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Keeps Us Organized and On Task

Reviewed on 17/01/2020

Todoist has been a game-changer for us. Its ease of use and interactive feedback helps us stay focused and achieve goals. They continue to work to improve it and a recent update has made using the app even easier. We are never without it when on-site or in the workroom.

Pros

We are theatre costumers who costume 12-14 shows a year. We use Todoist to keep track of all actors and their various costumes needed and the tasks required to complete those costumes. We love how easy it is to add new tasks to an existing one and how flexible each task can be. We can add a due date, assign a team member, and use labels to let us know what needs to be done or where it needs to be retrieved or bought from. It celebrates your productivity and emails you if a task is overdue as well as a report of how you did for the week. We can always tell if we did not use Todoist as faithfully as we should have during a project and in meetings the response to "How do we stay on task and organized?" is always "Remember to update and use Todoist!"

Cons

There is a 300 task limit to every project and we can easily hit that when we are first starting out and getting everything laid out for a show. It would also be nice to add an entire team to a project instead of individuals one at a time.

Basecamp

Reasons for Choosing Todoist

Producteev's setup was a bit clunky. We didn't dislike it, but it was not incredibly intuitive to use when it came to our needs so we decided to shop around and see if there was something we liked better.

Reasons for Switching to Todoist

Basecamp was too expensive for our small operation. Todoist, while not having all of the features we loved about Basecamp, was still easy to use, organize, and its price range was within our budget.
Zeynel
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

• Customer Support Software

One of the sofware I wish I had been used before

Reviewed on 24/02/2021

I use Todoist for almost anything in my life. From managing complex project to editing watching, reading shopping list, to scheduling my workout plan to tracking my monthly progress and so on. I also use this software as a bookmark tool for something I need to watch, read or write later. It is like part of my life.

Pros

* It provides almost anything you expect from a productivity app.
* Not only does it help you to create or manage your task but it also motivate you with its feature of karma level.
* The feature of 2 way sync with Google Calendar is great. I can easily schedule my task and plan my day in a calendar, without even have to open Todoist. Being able to create new sub-calendar in your calendar for each project in Todoist, is even better.
* You can create sub-tasks in sub-task in a subs-task and so on. Moreover, for each sub-task, you can add due date, notes. And this feature is really precious while you working on complex project.
* Sorting and grouping features make task management more effective.
* There are shortcuts for almost all stuff. Just typing with keyboard, you can add task, set the due date and priority level and move it to any project. That makes editing projects even faster.
* There are board and list view options. It is really helpful while dealing with different types of projects.
* There are well-organized templates to create a project faster.
* You can create so many project and easily edit, sort, or group them.
* Scheduling options are more than enough. It is so powerful editing recurring tasks.
* Maybe some of the features require payment but I can't complain about it because it is not so expensive and it is effective enough without it premium feature.

Cons

* Although its 2-way sync with Calendars is really powerful, it would better if there was a calendar view option.
* Sometimes, there may be a sync problems with Calendar apps.
* I used to monitor multi-project in one screen. But I cannot do it anymore, after the new updates.
* There could be habit tracker option for recurring tasks .

Ami

Perfect Your Productivity With Todoist, Not Your Trello Board

Reviewed on 21/02/2022

I've used them all. From AirTable to ClickUp. From Asana to Trello. I liked them all for two weeks, and then I got lost in the formulas. I desperately just wanted something that looked like a to-do list.

I'm fairly tech-savvy. I'm used to Excel spreadsheets, and I enjoy automation. But when it comes to project management, I found that I was spending more time sorting out my Trello boards (or any other board) to be presentable, set up automations, and generally maintain it, than actually getting work done.

I'm a copywriter, and my business revolves around creating copy for clients. As such, time management is a massive part of what I do. So, I needed to find something that was simple, presented clearly, and easily edited.

Then I found todoist. It's brilliantly straightforward. You need to set up different 'workspaces', but it's literally just different lists. I use a different list for different clients. They can see only their list, and no one else's. Then, click the + button to add tasks. You can add subtasks, too, which is super useful.

I personally LOVE the noise it makes when you cross off one of your tasks. A super pleasing 'click' like noise. You can set daily goals of the number of tasks you want to complete, too, which is good for productivity.

Overall, Todoist has a really simple design, and an even simpler user-experience. But that's why I love it so much.

Pros

I love how straightforward Todoist is to use. The design is clean and clear, and everything about it is just as simple. I was fed up with the complex formulas of other project management software.
I'm a massive fan of the subtasks feature. You can create smaller tasks underneath a bigger task, which, as a copywriter, is very useful. I can pop in tasks like 'Competitor Research', and then place subtasks under this that help me finalize the task.

I also love that you can set notifications as deadlines. It's almost like an alarm that pings when you need to get something done. You can customize it, too, to send you reminders a certain number of days ahead of time. That helps your productivity massively.

You can also add on clients to your lists, so they can monitor the progress that has been made.

Cons

There are no massive negatives to this software. There are areas they could grow. AirTable, for example, has automations that you can set up. So, if a task has been completed, an automatic email (which you can customize) is sent to the client informing them a task has been completed. If Todoist wanted to do something like that, I think it's important for them to remember that their appeal is simplicity, so it would need to be consistent with that.

Jaden

Simplicity, Speed, & Ease Of Use

Reviewed on 25/10/2022

Pros

What makes Todoist stand out is it's streamlined design. The design itself is minimal and clean. You organize tasks into projects, and those projects can be organized into sub-projects. One of it's best features is natural language input: you can set the due date, priority, project, labels, and more all in the name of the task. This makes it super fast to create & edit tasks, and makes it easy to get ideas out of your head and into Todoist.

Cons

The one feature I want Todoist to have is custom features. At the moment you can create "filters", which allow you to show tasks filtered by due date, project, label, etc. However the tasks always show up in a list style view. I would love it if you could display the filter in an alternate view such as a kanban board, or any of the other views offered by ClickUp's dashboards or Notion's database views.

Craig

• Customer Support Software

Todoist - A flexible and value for money work and project management tool

Reviewed on 21/04/2023

Very positive real world use experience over the last few years and ensures nothing is missed or forgotten and all project/stakeholder requests/asks are quickly captured and integral to how my team operates.

Pros

The ease of use for creating different 'project' areas that have unique project stages and tasks. These projects can often be repetitive in approach and nature and the ability to create 'template' saves time, improves consistency and quality of project delivery and contributes to project delivery success.Integrations with other cloud tools/email provides greater flexibility and completeness ensuring all tasks are captured at point of creation and no requests/tasks are forgotten.

Cons

Nothing so far - very flexible tool, available across desktop/webapp/smart devices and the price is very good for smaller organisations and teams to have a very capable project/task management solution.

Microsoft Project and Slack

Reasons for Switching to Todoist

Overall, the flexibility and ease of use in creating workflow that fitted how my team works, the great pricing, integration options, ease of initial set up and the number of options for working with the product ensure access to the product and features are never far away.
Darren
  • Industry: Media Production

• Customer Support Software

Todoist is an amazing, simple and easy to use task manager.

Reviewed on 17/02/2023

Todoist is exceptional and works great for me.

Todoist is exceptional and works great for me.

Pros

The best thing about Todoist is is simplicity. It helps you in managing tasks without it becoming a task in itself like other more complex solutions.

Cons

If you are needing to manage large, highly complex projects across large teams Todoist may not be fort you. Additionally it is missing calendar integration so you can not view your day in one app.

ClickUp, Wrike, and Asana

TickTick

Reasons for Switching to Todoist

For its simplicity and because it offered me everything I needed for a fraction of the cost.

Changed how I work & live

Reviewed on 14/05/2019

I use Todoist to manage just about everything I do, in the office and out. I've found it is particularly useful for breaking up lengthy task lists into day-to-day chunks of activity, as well as for creating plans for long-term work that needs to be picked at over time. With Todoist, I find myself much less likely to forget tasks that need doing, and to approach my work in an organized, methodical fashion.

Pros

No exaggeration, adopting Todoist as the app for tracking projects, chores, and other to-dos had a profound benefit to my productivity. The interface is fantastic, and integrations with IFTTT, Google Calendar, and heaps of other software makes it easy to automate the addition of tasks to your list or schedule.

The reminders, though, are what really changed the game for me. Being able to schedule reminders not only for particular dates and times, but for when you enter particular areas is an incredible benefit. For instance, it makes it easier remember to pick something up when you're physically at the store, or to check on the status of a project as soon as you arrive at work.

Finally, the karma and productivity streak systems, for those who like a little gamification, are nice tools for motivating yourself to stay on top of things.

Many of these features require or work best with a Premium subscription, which I endorse purchasing, but Todoist is also a great app as a free service. Try it out; you won't be disappointed.

Cons

The biggest issue I have with Todoist is that while the web and mobile applications are top-notch, the Windows 10 native app is missing features, particularly in regards to notifications. Sync is also inconsistent with that app. It's easy enough to get by without touching the native app, but I would love to see it fixed.

• Customer Support Software

What Did I Do Before Todoist?

Reviewed on 21/08/2019

I've definitely seen myself become more productive with the integration of Todoist in my life. I've gotten in a good habit of writing tasks down in Todoist as they come so I'm not forgetting anything. I love that you can just easily have the list in front of you at all times to constantly remember what you have to do. The biggest thing has been the reoccurring tasks - I've been able to keep up with some tasks that can be menial and sometimes slip to the back burner on busy days. I love tracking my progress and really seeing how much I have improved with Todoist.

Pros

What I love about Todoist is how easy it is to organize all my to-dos and tasks for a day and where they fall on my list of priorities. I love being able to quickly jot things down as I'm running from meeting to meeting and integrate it into my Outlook so I get reminders if something slips. Having the option to make something occur weekly has also helped me remember things that sometimes I can let fall in the back of my mind. I've been able to track my progress on how well I've been doing and seeing the number of recurring tasks that I have kept after is so rewarding. As a visual person, I love the color coding to help with prioritizing. It also helps when you have multiple teams in Todoist, so you can assign them the tasks and they know which level of priority the tasks are. Overall, Todoist has changed the game in how I organize and get things done.

Cons

Sometimes I do experiences glitches with the Outlook plug in and the tasks don't always integrate with my calendar to update me. I also can get too many updates for my recurring tasks sometimes as well, which doesn't happen too often, but is still something that can throw me off through the weeks. Sometimes the templates available aren't always the most efficient for that area of work (i.e. the content calendar one is a little too simple and doesn't always organize the content super clearly). There aren't that many cons to Todoist in my opinion!

Souhil
Souhil
  • Industry: Design

The Best To Do List Tool for Everyone

Reviewed on 11/12/2020

It helped me to save a lot of time and stay focused on what's important because now I know what I have to do daily and everything is saved in the app.
I tried a lot of To-Do List apps and after trying Todoist I can say I finally found what I'm looking for and I'm really happy with it and I will recommend it to anyone who needs a To-Do List app.

Pros

I love it because It's Free and easy to use and I like the clean user interface because It's user friendly and everyone can get used to it in a few minutes also, I like the dark theme option.
I like the Productivity tracking feature because now I can see all the completed tasks and I can set daily and weekly goals.
The clean UI is amazing and without any complicated stuff, you can add projects, labels, and filters with just a few clicks.
The mobile app for me is the best because it has all the features and it's very easy and with a clean and simple user interface.
I can sort my Tasks by priority, project, name or by date, or even by the assignee.
I like the Inbox because I can write my ideas or any general tasks and things I need to do and things I don't need to create a project for them.
Today and Upcoming section are great because I see just what I need to do for example today and I really don't need to worry about tomorrow's tasks...etc.and this gives me the motivation I need to start working and finishing my daily tasks.
I like the cards and how easy I can move them between the sections and also, I like the sub-tasks option because it helped me to stay organized.
I like the Emails I get and this is a cool way to remind me if I missed a task or something.
I can schedule any task using their calendar option and I can have like one week or one month calendar.
There is a lot of helpful YouTube videos about this tool and I learned a lot from them.

Cons

They can add a note-taking option for us because sometimes we need to take quick notes.
They can add a built-in Emoji feature to add some fun and cool stuff to our Lists and Projects.
They can add more helpful features for us in the near future.

Arturo
Arturo

Your ideal project assistant for you or your team

Reviewed on 25/05/2022

The concept of Todoist is not just to write down reminders and that's all, for that we have the notes app that gives us the same phone, but what they try to do is to have this continuous tracking to help you complete your goals, pending tasks that you need to do in your daily life. Also being able to work collaboratively on hundreds of projects that the app offers you, is something to talk about, as it helps your organization to always be effective and be able to keep track of what we have not done, and what we have done as a team.

Pros

I loved the ease of this software to be able to tell you and guide you through all the functions that Todoist has, since being able to create projects and pending tasks for the day, for the week, or the weekend is too easy because the app feels very dynamic and even satisfies you every time you meet a pending goal.
In terms of price, it is extremely economical, since you have 300 active projects that are for more "pro" people as the platform would say since it offers collaborative work in the same way and has these frequent reminders so you never forget or miss something or pending goal. And of course, you have an automatic backup at any time.

Cons

It may be because of the limited functions that you get when using the free plan since they only give you 5 active projects and you don't have reminders, you do have them but you get them by your email, instead of in the pro you have more customization in all this topic. But being frank, for that person who does not have so many pending in the day today, it is perfect because you do not ask for more and the app is excellent.

Notion
Mark

• Customer Support Software

Excellent task-tracking for individual and small teams

Reviewed on 08/01/2023

I've used Todoist for tracking personal tasks, joint projects with another person, and start-up projects with small teams - in all cases it has been great for the job so far. For larger groups or more developed projects I can appreciate why teams would migrate to something more feature like Jira or Asana, but I don't think that's the market segment Todoist is aiming to address at the moment.

Pros

- Parsing and recognition of due dates, priorities, projects and tagged users is almost flawless and really speeds up task creation, especially the amount of flexibility in specifying due dates and recurring tasks.- Multiple views for projects allows the tool to be adapted for each - simple task lists, hierarchal lists, and even a kanban-style view.- The combo of labels and custom filters can be very powerful if you're willing to invest a bit of setup time.

Cons

- Over the last year or two Todoist have moved more features behind paywalls - not a problem for commercial users, but I don't like how it will be impacting individual users or start-up teams using the free version.- Release quality/QA isn't the highest. Bugs are usually fixed quickly, but more of them make it into production briefly that I would expect.

Asana
Bhavik
  • Industry: Financial Services Software

An Awesome Task and Project Management Tool

Reviewed on 30/11/2021

Pros

The best thing about Todoist is its simplicity. It's really easy to use and with a really simple and clean interface. It has all the basic features that a task management solution should have. Above that, it has some really useful features that helps in improving productivity. Reminders work as expected and it also has support for location specific reminders.

Cons

The one thing I would love for Todoist to improve is the sub task system. Subtasks are not really easy to use and can be improved. Also, it can add time tracking to become a one stop solution.

Any.do, Microsoft To Do, and Notion

Google Keep

• Customer Support Software

Easy to use and great feature to integrate emails in your to-do list

Reviewed on 19/06/2019

Pros

It integrates in your Google Chrome browser and also as a standalone app on your phone or computer. Best feature is that you can make an email in your Gmail a task into Todoist. And when on your computer, if you click on that task linked to the email, the email in Gmail will open up in full. It saves you a lot of searching time.

Cons

I wish they worked more on their reminder feature. I have been using the paid version so I could have the reminders ring on my phone. For some reason, I found that these reminders would disappear very easily from my phone without me even touching it and therefore I would end up missing items to do. Despite contacting tech support, I was not able to find a way to reminders work well for me, but this may be on me. Or maybe there are the tech support explanation was not good enough or maybe their reminders features are not strong enough. What I've been looking for is a nagging reminder that only disappears once you act upon it. I could not find how to do this - yet?

Andrew
Andrew

Good Basic Program, but Better w/ Premium

Reviewed on 20/08/2019

Todoist has been a solid task tracker for our company since we started using it more consistently. The ability to share and assign tasks has definitely improved our communication and organization. The key is to have every member of your group task list buy into the system or it becomes virtually ineffective. The paid features give this application a leg up on competitor applications such as Google Keep.

Pros

The Todoist application is a great way to get organized on a personal or company level. With shared task lists, you can easily communicate or assign daily tasks to other individuals in your group for effortless productivity tracking. Even using the basic, unpaid version, you can assign individual tasks to different users in your group with specific due dates so that everyone can stay on the same page without additional messaging or communication. The corresponding mobile application is free works and syncs automatically with your desktop account. The operation of mobile is very similar to the desktop version, which makes for an easy transition between devices.

Cons

Like many applications, you do not get a majority of the higher quality features unless you paid for an annual license. For example, you are not able to view completed tasks unless you upgrade to the paid version, which can make task completion tracking very difficult. Another problematic design characteristic of this application is that it automatically sends you notifications for all uncompleted tasks linked to your account. While this is a preferred feature for individual lists, it is the default setting for group lists as well. This means that if you do not meticulously assign each task to an individual when that task is created in a group list, you will receive all notifications for that entire list, which can get very overbearing.

• Industry: Mining & Metals

Todoist Review

Reviewed on 15/02/2023

Todoist is a solid task management and productivity application, offering a simple interface and useful reminder functionality. However, the free version is a bit limited in terms of features, and some aspects of the interface could be improved. Overall, it's an excellent choice for users looking to organize their tasks and projects efficiently.

Pros

I used Todoist for 4 months to manage my creative projects, increase my productivity, and keep track of my daily tasks. I must say that I am very satisfied with this application. The interface is simple and easy to use, and I can create task lists and projects very easily. The reminder feature is an excellent addition that helped me not to forget anything and to meet my deadlines.I also enjoyed the collaboration feature, which allowed me to work with my colleagues and track their tasks. I was able to integrate Todoist with other applications that I use daily, such as Google Calendar and Slack, for optimal productivity.

Cons

I used Todoist to manage my projects and daily tasks for several months, and I must say there are a few aspects that I did not like. First, although the interface is simple and easy to use, it can sometimes feel a bit limited. I would like to be able to customize the appearance of my task lists more and add more detailed notes for each task.Additionally, while the reminder feature is useful, it can sometimes be a bit too insistent. I received several notifications for tasks that were not urgent or important, which made managing my tasks more difficult.Finally, I find that the free version of Todoist is a bit limited in terms of features. To access some advanced features, such as long-term planning and custom filters, it is necessary to upgrade to the paid version.