Employee scheduling & communication for retail & restaurants

4.5 /5 (66 reviews) Write a Review!
4.5
4.7
4.5
4.6
4.6
John T.
Industry: Security & Investigations

Best scheduling app out there

Reviewed on 28/08/2019

It truly has been a real asset for our business, I really believe we would be lost without this fantastic software.

Pros

Clocking in works great with SLING, scheduling and the employee interaction with the app is fantastic!

Cons

Getting use to messaging for help, were all used to calling someone. I found it works great and the response time is quick and responsive.

Stephen M.
Industry: Food & Beverages

Excellent with limitations...

Reviewed on 25/04/2020

As a scheduling software great. no need for the extra features.

Pros

Easy access to distribute schedules and messages.

Cons

Private messaging. Users can private message each other within Sling. If these messages take a negative turn. Sexual Harassment or something else. There is no way no monitor these messages. Unless a screen shot was taken there is no proof, because if the either of the user deletes the message it is gone.

Nicole W.
Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Helpful and Cost Effective

Reviewed on 24/10/2018

Pros

My company uses the free version of Sling, and for something that is cost free it's really wonderful. It's easy to navigate, and the messaging system has come in handy for us when our main method of communication (Slack) is down. We've tried several other paid and unpaid employee scheduling programs, and Sling has been the best one by far.

Cons

The only issue we have is that despite how many times we click "publish all future shifts", we still have to publish each new weeks shifts so that everyone can see. This is a very minor inconvenience though, as it's easy to quickly publish shifts.

Mark R.

Outstanding Software

Reviewed on 07/04/2020

Pros

Sling makes employee scheduling and overtime tracking a breeze. Our team members love the ability to receive instant notifications of their assigned shifts, and our organization benefits from being able to distribute our workforce more strategically to maximize production and reduce loss.

Cons

Sometimes it is difficult to shortlist relevant shifts and employees when setting schedules for multiple locations, especially in cases of particular employees working in more than one location.

Aurora N.

Sling for Managing Teams

Reviewed on 24/11/2018

Has helped me manage a team of 70 with constantly changing shifts (days/times)

Pros

Love this products ease of use and ability to manage a large team schedule.
Allos you to code people for different positions, set recurring shift times and even has a group chat to easily send out team notifications ect.
Send each person's schedule directly to their phone. Great for managing a younger demographic.

Cons

There is no way for the team member to post a shift for coverage, everything has to be done by the manager (this could also be a pro, depending on what your looking for)

Logan C.
Industry: Medical Practice

SUPER!

Reviewed on 19/08/2019

I love it and its been nothing but a benefit to us. Giving us all we need and nothing more and nothing less for a great price

Pros

lOVE IT! Cant say enough, ease of use, and bang for the buck! It covers all of our needs and saves us... amn probably 80% of what we were paying for a lesser product

Cons

Sometimes it can run slow but I think that's more having to do with my internet connection not SLING.

Industry: Information Technology & Services

I never missed my shift

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 22/09/2018

Pros

My boss used Sling to organize our shifts. I always knew when I work and never missed my shift and always knew with which colleague I work that day.

Cons

There's nothing I have noticed as a flaw to this software-it simply helps me organize my time. Maybe an interesting feature would be to ping boss when he forgets to fill shifts for that or next week. This way we can only call him and ask to do so.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Tina L.
Industry: Real Estate

Sling a good thing

Reviewed on 05/12/2018

Pros

was easy to install and easy to learn didnt take much time to do simple steps

Cons

not really many cons just took a minute or two to get the hang of it

April M.

Sling online schedule

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 15/02/2019

Pros

This program is wonderful.
It has helped our employees be able to access their schedules from home or in the go. We no longer rely on paper schedules.
The best benefit is a decrease in employees coming to work late or missing a shift!

Cons

No complaints, the free program does everything our business needs.

Ashley T.
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 08/01/2020

I like this app it's very easy to use and download on any device

Pros

This is a good app because you cant watch it on any device and stream live tv shows online . I like it user friendly

Cons

Sometimes to the shows wont work or keep loading. They wont play or keep glitching it says a error has occurred to try later

Djordje B.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Good for sheduling

Used Monthly for Free Trial
Reviewed on 27/09/2018

Pros

Great for organizing remote work. It's also free.

Cons

Phone app could be a bit better optimized.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Jamie W.
Industry: Events Services

Great scheduling system for decentralized team

Reviewed on 12/10/2017

Our schedule and our employees' availabilities are fluid. Sling! is able to keep up without even breaking a sweat.

My employees love the mobile app, which can push reminders about scheduled shifts. I love that my employees show up on time, because Sling! can push reminders about scheduled shifts.

I managed to get by before I discovered Sling!, but I honestly can't remember how. I'm able to spend so much more time doing the work now that I don't have to chase my employees down to get them scheduled to work.

Pros

The mobile app is what makes this package great. My employees love the push notifications when new shifts are posted.

We have a variable schedule and a student workforce. Our MO is to post available shifts when we need people to work. Sling! lets our students apply for as many or as few shifts as they like. We can then approve individuals to put our team for the day together based on the skills of those who have applied and the needs of the tasks at hand.

Cons

There is no view available that visually groups like time blocks into shifts.

Our shifts don't follow a set schedule, but we often need more than one person to work the same time block on a given day. There are now several features to help you save time when scheduling things like this. For example, you can copy shifts to avoid having to enter all of the same details multiple times, and you can select several different positions when creating a shift, but once created, each person shows up as their own event on the schedule.

If I've got a half dozen different people working for each of four different time blocks on a single day, the calendar starts to get a little overwhelming with 24 separate events represented. If there was a way to group like time blocks into shifts with multiple employees assigned, this example would be down to 4 separate events, which is much easier to quickly get your head around.

Marlesha K.

GREAT for managing many employees with unusual/atypical Shifts. Very scaleable, efficiency improves.

Reviewed on 08/09/2017

Pros

So many 'Pros'!! --
- supports multiple work sites/locations.
- supports different employee roles/titles.
- supports large (unlimited?) number of employees.
- can 'deactivate' employees & then reinstate them at a later date (no need to delete the employee's entire profile).
- There are even more 'Pros' that we haven't fully explored yet, such as employees communicating with each other through the app to arrange shift swaps, etc. So much potential!!

I work at a college Math Learning Center where we provide additional assistance to students seeking extra math support. Having a scheduling app/software that can manage many employees with atypical/changing/unusual shifts is crucial!! We employ both full-time permanent staff and temporary students tutors and with our temporary staff we have a lot of turnover as students come-and-go. Thus we have changes to the schedule constantly. So for us, a dynamic system is a must.

The Sling support staff is also very responsive and open to suggestions and ideas. Some of my suggestions have been incorporated, such as being able to included a 'break' duration for a shift which then is subtracted from the shift hour total. These changes have made Sling even more useful! I am so thrilled to have found this FREE scheduling web application. We don't have the budget to pay for a scheduling software/app, yet we needed a tool that could handle our very specific and complicated needs. We found it in Sling!!

Cons

- Would like to be able to add more details about each employee, such as customized checkboxes for employee 'expertise'. (There is a 'notes' section for each employee profile, which is nice.)
- Be able to make tags/notes for certain dates, such as 'holiday' or 'extended day' to remind the scheduler of different scheduling needs.
- Have a shift-responsibilities designation option, such as 'Opener' or 'Closer'
- Would like to be able to 'collapse' some of the hours from view and/or designate a viewing window that shows only when our center is open (must be unique by location). Though being able to schedule shifts beyond 'operating hours' is needed (set-up, take-down time) but many hours before and after our operating hours don't need to be displayed.
- Would like there to be a way to designate general staff 'types' (i.e. permanent vs temporary) not just different employee position. A Permanent staff member had additional responsibilities and must be staffed at all times, so being able to look at the shifts of just Permanent staff would be beneficial.
- More customizable options for the print-view.

All these cons, if addressed, would just be icing on the cake. The app, as it is now, is completely functional and covers all the necessities and more!

Kelly D.
Industry: Internet
Company size: Self Employed

Sling tv is a money saver.

Reviewed on 03/02/2020

Pros

Sling tv software works on a roku and amazon fire stick.Pac 12 networks are included in sports package.Record 50 hours with sling tv cloud dvr plus.Freeform and tnt channels included.No contract for sling and you can cancel at anytime.

Cons

No big 10 network is included in sling tv package.No justice network new detectives included in sling tv package.DVR is not unlimited is also a con.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Ken W.
Industry: Government Administration

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 11/05/2019

Pros

The streaming quality is excellent and the ease in moving through the software is extremely easy.

Cons

The choices in building packages that are cost effective.

Josephine-marie M.

Not the best of software

Reviewed on 27/06/2018

Pros

what I do like about this software is if you don't have one of your coworkers number you can go on there and message them. Also it gives you your schedule when you work on a month to month basics.

Cons

What I don't like is that I have the app and I don't get notifications about it also when I want to pick up a shift it doesn't add it to my calendar so if I forget I wouldn't know if I did pick it up until I get a call.

Luke M.
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

helps get messages out in a timely manner

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 21/06/2018

Ease of use,
Timely,
enhances communication of dept.

Pros

Sling helped our department by getting important memos across to all staff members. We use it to communicate to all staff, no matter the shift they work. They download the information/app on their phones and we can communicate and send information at once. This also avoids those stupid group chat annoyances.

Cons

I wish this would let us send files (large files). This way I could post my department meetings to those that missed the meeting and have them look over the slides.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Derek C.
Industry: Security & Investigations

Great Schedule Management

Reviewed on 04/08/2018

Pros

The program is incredibly user friendly.

Cons

It isn’t an industrial grade product that can be used as a primary scheduling tool.

Heimir H.

Very good and simple.

Reviewed on 19/05/2016

We use shifts and messages part of the software. It took us very little time to get the staff on board and now I don´t think we can go back to our old way of using excel and email. We have sent in some questions and they answered them within hours of us sending them in.

Jackie T.

Sling Scheduling

Used Other for Free Trial
Reviewed on 14/11/2018

Pros

Very excited as I am trying to find a more efficient way to schedule.

Cons

Unsure at this time, however I have no concerns at this time

Bc M.

Sling is straight forward and simple

Reviewed on 04/04/2018

Pros

We love that it is very simple and easy to use. Extremely user friends and great for small business owners!

Cons

We have only used a sling for a short period of time. That being said we haven't found any negatives with the software just yet.

Industry: Real Estate
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Excellent time management tool

Reviewed on 03/04/2019

Using Sling, we're able to correspond with our staff more effectively and schedule more efficiently. It keeps payroll costs in budget and keeps employees happy...No complaints!

Pros

In my office, we have a different platform already in place for time tracking, but Sling was recommended to us as a scheduling service. It works great! At no cost, we can allow our employees to request hours, we can assign shifts, and we can communicate schedules to our staff. It's helped us to keep our payroll costs in check at no additional cost. If we had the opportunity to switch to Sling for actual time tracking as well, we'd probably consider it.

Cons

No cons. I like the features, the interface, and the pricing model. If there's any con at all, it's that Sling can give information so freely that it at times becomes redundant.

Teresa A.
Industry: Hospitality

Sling was perfect for our needs

Reviewed on 10/09/2019

Pros

I love being able to completely customize shifts and even have them color coded. Everything was exceptionally easy and didn't require a training day to show employees how to use it. The ability to pull reports for payroll and other financial figures was a huge time-saver for us. Customer service is readily available and even friendly in emails.

Cons

I honestly have no complaints and just hope it stays the same a nice long time.

Matt F.
Industry: Retail

Overall a great scheduling program

Reviewed on 20/09/2018

Pros

The ability to completely get away from paper scheduling for my employees is great, and if a change is made they are all alerted through the website and mobile app. No matter where I am, I always no who is scheduled and can use my phone or tablet to manage all of it.

Cons

It is a bit cumbersome to copy and paste multiple weeks of schedules at a time.

Morgan B.
Industry: Commercial Real Estate

Better Organize Your Schedule

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 21/06/2019

I used Sling to coordinate and schedule individuals canvassing for a political party. There could not have been a more simple way to run the campaign and I have used it in several campaigns over the past few years.

Pros

Easy to quickly see schedule, Digital sharing among employees, Adjustments are quick and immediately seen, User friendly, High quality app

Cons

All changes have to be approved by an administrator, it would be convenient if my employees were able to trade shifts themselves without the approval. I wish there was a "low priority" setting that would allow this change. There were some difficulties using the software between different phone providers depending on how good the service was in the area.