OpenSimSim

Scheduling software for businesses with hourly employees

4.5 /5 (552 reviews) Write a Review!

Scott M.
  • Industry: Supermarkets

• Customer Support Software

Rosters the way they Should be

Reviewed on 31/05/2019

The managers enjoy using it and wouldn't go back to how we where doing it.
The team have shown an increase in picking up extra shifts and sticking to what agreed changes they had arranged with managers.
Our roster is now more steady and hours worked more accurate to our ideal workflow.

Pros

Its simple and easy to use. It gives you all the information that is required to make informed decisions when planning your teams hours, it gives clarity and removes confusions when dealing with shift swaps and holidays, Both employer and employee are on the same page via a cloud format that automatically updates every one when changes are made. Can roster multiple departments so when in a big retail business you can plan for team members to be working in a different department too. The messaging function is the easiest way to connect with 100+ people in just a few clicks, this helps drive engagement through communication.

Cons

A few upgrades that would improve this further is:
A function to save and print time off requests and approvals so that we could go paperless and keep complient with the IRD -this would also give option for the employee to complete a virtual signature on screen

Also editing a master roster would be great - currently not an option to edit a roster without having it uploaded into an actual week - master rosters are forever changing so would be great to keep these updated simply as things change.

I always found the name OPENSIMSIM "out there" and odd however UBER would have also sounded strange until it was a house hold name, SIMSIM could be as big soon enough!!

Kyle J.

Love the app!

Reviewed on 28/05/2019

Super stoked on it. It’s great for the staff on their end it could just offer a few more tools to make the admins jobs easier

Pros

Love the interface. Communication process is great and customer service is amazing.

Cons

-want to be able to easily black out dates for time off requests.
-a way to force staff to look at messages even or notes and “agree” that they have read them would be awesome.
-would love to have an interface to build “standard shifts” that you can then just mine from and add a little easier.
-also on the time off requests it would be helpful to have a limit on requests. So for example, if 3 people are already requested the 10th of the month off and we had set the limit at 3 requests, no one else could request off or make them u available.
-admins should representative the only ones to be able to edit workers availability

The blackout dates would for sure be the most helpful though. And ensuring that an alert is sent to employees when blackout dates are entered by managers.

Mitchell V.

Honest review

Reviewed on 31/05/2019

We use this every week with scheduling everyone for who's working and when. It's really great because before we used this we just had an Excel sheet and it had to be emailed out and with this, we can also see if they have acknowledged the shift where as with emailing it, it would be such a hassle with making sure everyone knew when they worked.

Pros

I like that I can have this on my phone and check it whenever I want to, and that I can edit shifts from my manager account from my phone. It's really easy to add availability and to teach new employees on how to use it as well. I really like that I can color code position titles as well.

Cons

I don't like that it shows all employees for our team members at one location, because it confuses them on who they can contact about getting a shift covered. I recommend adding their location or main location underneath their name in the messages part of it, or only be able to send a message to others at the location they have access to.

Tom C.

Product Review

Reviewed on 26/08/2019

Helps us communicate available shifts with staff who are sleeping from night shifts or currently busy with a customer where we cannot communicate with them, during our 9-5 hours in the office

Pros

It's easy to train staff to use it. It is reasonable customisable for how we need to use it as an agency. We use positions for each possible customer location that might request our services. There are too many locations for each to have its own schedule. Half of our potential customers listed use our services less than once a month. We are not staffing every location throughout the week with different managers like some of your users might be.

Cons

Please make it so that it is easier to add positions to staff in bulk, or groups. I spend too much time setting up new staff with all of the positions they need, or setting up new positions with all applicable staff.

Rachel S.

• Customer Support Software

Great free option for scheduling software with potential for more

Reviewed on 04/10/2019

I had a great on-boarding session with their training team. They do offer employee data importing as part of their setup but I did it all myself and it wasn’t too bad.

Pros

Super easy to use and set up. It has been as smooth of a transition for our employees One could hope for. Most employees have been able to get it set up and availability updated with no direct instruction other than our expectations.

Cons

A few simple features I would like to see on the app are: view only first initial of last name on printed schedule (privacy issue of employees), hide total hours on printed schedule, select individual rights for remote clock in (paid version).

Lynda B.
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

• Customer Support Software

Easy to use and suit volunteers

Reviewed on 16/10/2019

Finally found an online system where my members can be responsible and accountable for their shifts. I can pre-load and everyone can see who is on. Love this.

Pros

I am involved in a totally volunteer environment and this is the best option for us to control the shifts. It allows for members to be responsible for their own work shifts. We have members from 14 - 89 and they all use it.

Cons

I wish I could customise each week. As in we only patrol or do shifts on weekends and public holidays so really most weeks Mon to fri is blank. Would be better if not there at all. Minor bug and really only applies to our organisation.

Bryant R.
  • Industry: Photography

Multi-Unit Scheduling

Reviewed on 17/10/2019

Pros

It gives us ease of access to schedules for multiple locations, and easy to identify and contact an employee that is working.

Cons

Setting up mutiple locations and schedule labeling/identification.

Kevin R.
  • Industry: Entertainment

• Customer Support Software

Fantastic easy to use product

Reviewed on 31/05/2019

Support has been fantastic and are willing to hear suggestions on possible improvements, certainly respond quickly if you are having an issue. to e honest I wish all software companies ran this way.

Pros

Can be used from anywhere, allows staff to say when they are not available, alerts them when they have been given a shift and allows them to swap. I don't need to rely on my fading memory anymore or sticky notes or diary entries, simply awesome :)

Cons

So many buttons to print the same report every week but this is a minor inconvenience for the benefits being offered

Kryssi V.

Easy and user friendly.

Reviewed on 04/06/2019

I am very happy with Open Sim Sim. I have used this scheduling software at two different locations and it has been a lifesaver. All of my employees love it too. Saves time and money. Making communication a breeze.

Pros

Schedule is alway at your fingertips ok your phone
You can edit and add shifts between employees.
Send out group messages.
Complete shift swaps
And manage all requests off.
It’s brilliant and bang for your buck is unparalleled

Cons

The program at times has technical difficulties which renders it useless.

Louis C.
  • Industry: Security & Investigations

Excellent Software that Easy to Use

Reviewed on 27/04/2017

I started a new job and was tasked with managing an employee schedule for 50 employees. The method that was being used was literally a calendar with people's names on it. It was very confusing and employees were constantly confused about when they were working and trying to swap shifts was a nightmare. OpenSimSim was the perfect solution to help me clean up the scheduling data and give my employees clarification of when they are working, and flexibility to manage their shifts and availability. It has cut the time I spend managing my schedule from 10-12 hours to 1-2 hours a week.

Pros

The ease of use for the employees

Cons

There is no way to turn off the chat and delete chat rooms as an Administrator. I understand that functionality is part of what makes the software unique, but if it is associated with my company, then I should be able to control the chat within my account. If I have a problem employee, I can fire them and remove them from the company, but the chat rooms and inappropriate posts are still there and can not be removed. Also, the ability to change employee's contact information would help.

Micah G.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Scalable and Easy to Use

Reviewed on 25/10/2019

Scheduling across two stores with different operating hours used to be a real struggle for me and very time consuming. I would estimate it takes me 1/4 of the time to make a schedule than it used to. It’s easy enough to use that I can even let my assistant managers or administrative assistant do the scheduling, and just step in to review it instead of doing it all myself - freeing up time to focus on what matters most to me, improving my business and increasing our returns.

Pros

I used to spend hours setting up schedules for both of the stores I manage. Ensuring time off requests and availability was such a hassle before I started using Open Sim Sim. Now I can easily see all of my employees availability and time off requests in a sleek interface and create perfect schedules in a fraction of the time it used to take.

Cons

Adding new employees could be easier, and the header menu navigation could be easier. Some of the features I use fairly often are hidden a little deeper in menus than I’d like, but overall I love the software.

Richard W.
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Clock in spot on!

Reviewed on 31/05/2019

Overall it's great to use, cost effective and easily manageable.
Doesn't promise you the earth and give you a pot!

Pros

GPS function, change shifts on the go, great messaging, easy shift allocation as SimSim learns over time with suggestions.
Customer service is very good with online chat, and tech desk resolution if issue not resolved in chat.

Cons

Can't enter regular shifts as recurring. So we have to continue with Jorte Calendar to keep regularity of shifts (daily, weekly, bi weekly, 4 weekly, monthly etc...).
Some updates can be frustrating as you have to 'find out yourself' while using.

Daniel Z.

One of the best scheduling solutions

Reviewed on 25/10/2019

Pros

OpenSimSim is incredibly easy to implement. Adding new employees to schedules takes a few minutes, so overall very quick and straight forward. Managing multiple locations is convenient and simple.

Overall, no complaints. Great experience so far.

Cons

Nothing noteworthy. If I had to pick I would say I wish the iOS phone app had better UI for managing the schedule. It seems like the website it still best for creating schedule conveniently.

But not something that is a concern for us, using the website is easy enough.

Jay R.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Amazing product A++

Reviewed on 28/05/2019

This app solves the issue of having to send out multiple emails and text messages to book the crew for the jobs required.

Pros

I love this scheduling software is free to use for what I require it for. I have over 170 freelancers using this program and it works pretty much flawlessly.

Cons

Not really much I dont like about it.

It could use some improvements when it comes to more precise shift time starts/finish, Also being able to search a freelancer in the name list would be great and sometimes the names are in order and when you return they are not.

Karl H.
  • Industry: Media Production
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great App!!!

Reviewed on 15/02/2019

Open Sim Sim has allowed me to schedule out further with the time it is saving me. This is good for the company and for our techs.

Pros

Open Sim Sim is super easy to use and has the features we need without fluff we don't. It has cut my scheduling time down tremendously. The customer support is amazing and fast. The in app messaging is a huge bonus.

Cons

As a scheduler we set a time period that our labor needs to lock in their availability. I really want to be able to go in and lock those days down. I can keep them from requesting off, but not from changing their availability. It is really frustrating to hit publish schedule and a warning come up that says someone is not available.

Yasuhiro S.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Ease of access

Reviewed on 31/05/2019

Pros

It allows communicating with your workers easy.

Cons

There are a lot of functions that i wish they had to make it easier to upload schedules. Like if there was a function to create shift a/b/c and just assign those shifts to people rather than having to pick hours. My work has set times so it would make it much easier

Wendy P.

Can't live without Opensimsim

I'm very happy.

Pros

Makes it very easy to see a whole week to schedule out with vacations blocked out so I know exactly who I can schedule and when. Employees love the mobile app and ease of use to ask for time off and to see schedule at a glance.

Cons

I wish it had a feature to keep up with hours for my remote working employees to clock-in and out.

Mario G.

• Customer Support Software

OpenSimSim is great and easy to use

Reviewed on 14/02/2019

OpenSimSim has simplified my process of scheduling employees on a weekly basis. It's drop shifts and shift swaps are convenient to keep track of who is scheduled to work. I would definitely recommend this service to other businesses.

Pros

I enjoy OpenSimSim's easy to use software. I can easily schedule all my employees on a weekly basis and I'm given everyone's total hours for the week. I also enjoy that all my employees have access to their schedules from their phones and that all managers have easy access to confirm who is working on what days.

Cons

I don't like that employees can update their availability on their own. This creates problems for me because they will change their availability rather than put in time off requests for a day off.

Craig D.

Super Scheduling App

Reviewed on 05/06/2019

A great easy to use scheduling app.

Pros

Ease of scheduling and group messaging employees

Cons

Not being able to override availability manipulation by employees

Eric M.

• Customer Support Software

Excellent Software and good customer service.

Reviewed on 28/04/2017

Mobile and consistent schedule accessibility. Has also made the writing process easier so the staff has gotten more personally tailored schedules sooner, and has reduced the stress on my schedule writers.

Pros

Ease of use, excellent communication tools, ability to manage multiple locations and still communicate across the company.

Cons

Not much to complain about. Updates sometimes pose a bit of a learning curve, but that could be attributed more to users than any glitches. Even still, customer service is quick to respond and solve solutions to problems as they arise.

Joanne K.

Excellent Product

Reviewed on 23/08/2019

Pros

I love being able to access and use the software from the app on my phone, anywhere at anytime
I love that my staff can drop and pick up shifts with very little intervention by myself
It really helps with rostering my staff across 3 different sites

Cons

Occasional glitches but this is very rare

Veronica I.

Schedules

Reviewed on 28/05/2019

Opensimsim also tells me how many hours I have people scheduled to work.

Pros

I like that I can put everyone into 1 source and make a schedule that goes out to all the employees. I can also make changes between employees when shifts are swapped.

Cons

I can't make any changes to an employee time off once its approved.

Kumar S.

OpenSimSim Review

Reviewed on 28/05/2019

Don't really solve any business problems with OpenSimSim.
However it has improved our efficiencies in rostering and allocating time off to staff members.

Pros

* Ease of use
* Real live time rosters
* Massive time saver when it comes to doing rosters
* Staff can block days off and request time off
* Brought another element of efficiency to the running of the business

Cons

Honestly there is nothing that I don't like about this software. It took me a while to get my head around it....but now it's all smooth sailing!!

Lane H.

Scheduling Savior!

Reviewed on 11/06/2019

OpenSimSim has helped our organization with clear scheduling, allowing employees to see their schedules, request time off, and initiate shift swaps all from their phones! How easy is that? And even easier for creating schedules during my own busy schedule.

Pros

The ease of use of OpenSimSim is phenomenal. Less than 15 minutes to complete initial set-up, and scheduling (including budgeting labour!) takes mere minutes each week.

Cons

Swapping shifts between two employees, I have to move one shift to a third line to put it out of the way, otherwise I get an error message saying that the employee is already working that day and is unable. Maybe I just haven't figured out how to do it properly yet!

John B.

Best scheduler I've used

Reviewed on 20/02/2019

Makes my ability to keep track of labor much easier than other format I've ever used.

Pros

Ease of use, abilility to customize to my preferences

Cons

Has moments when there is lag between my completed actions and the apps ability to perform the next task (seems like it is playing catch-up sometimes)