SocialSchedules

Scheduling software for businesses with hourly employees

4.7/5

Michael

Great platform

Reviewed on 16/02/2019

Outstanding

Pros

As a GM I love OpenSimSim it’s very user friendly

Cons

Budgeting wasn’t working at first but then did work.

Eric

Compass-Non profit cafe using Open Sim

Reviewed on 17/10/2019

Easy to start and implement​, staff loves it

Pros

It's​ free! We were using an app called Deputy, and we had to pay for what open sim offers​ for free and its great as a manager, and our staff loves it! '

Cons

There is no direct message board for all staff notes, id love to be able to communicate with my team throughout a week this way

Joshua
  • Industry: Security & Investigations

It's very close

Reviewed on 16/10/2019

I am mostly satisfied, it could use a few more user options.

Pros

The geo mapping. I like that once I have added a job my employees can just open the app and it takes them to the work site.

Cons

There is limited things you can do from you're phone. I also wish when I add a job I could add the client information for billing purposes.

Emiko
  • Industry: Higher Education Software
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

It’s alright

Reviewed on 28/05/2019

It’s ok. It works, and it’s what my organization is using.

Pros

The design is easy and simple to see. Updates are made real time and notifications are sent.

Cons

There are functionality limited to mobile, and this is extremely unhelpful when I’m working at a customer service position where I’m not supposed to look at my phone.

Cons on the computer:
-I cannot see who else is working when I’m not working that day.
-I cannot see a list of people and their shifts the way I can view it on mobile.
-When I make the window size smaller (when I have to sometimes for my work), the application won’t let me view anything.

Overall cons:
-Setting availability/unavailability is a nightmare. It just takes so much time, especially when my hours are variable. There must be a better way to design this.
Also, this function is limited to the web app — why design the software where the functionality is half and half between different platforms?
-is there a way to change the view setting to “Month”? That will make the schedule easier to see.
-The notifications are exsessive — I get one when my schedule is changed, then published. For one change, I get four notifications (2 app, 2 emails).

David

Just what I need, all in one place

Reviewed on 31/05/2019

The biggest benefit to myself is managing time off requests, I no longer need to remember when a colleague has asked for time off. They use the app, submit request, I review and there it is in the schedule. No more allowing too many colleagues off at same time and mistakingly scheduling on time off.
Another benefit is less pressure to complete a schedule, I do my schedules at home so I no longer need to rush to ensure all staff see it in store, I have a little extra breathing space because as soon as I hit publish, my colleagues instantly have the schedule in their hands.

Pros

Communication feature - direct messages to specific colleague(s)
Manage time off requests which then show in schedule
Mobile version - inc notifications on shifts
Coverage graph (able to see how many colleagues scheduled per hour/per day)
Best of all, it has a FREE version

Cons

Some limited functionality on mobile version.
For example, can only manage/create schedules on pc version.
Time off requests need to be managed on pc version as this way allows to view existing time off to prevent allowing too many staff off. On mobile version, this is difficult to manage.
Can't track holiday allowances - possibly icing on the cake
Generally though, con's are hard to argue because it is free and it does just what I need it to do

James
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

Great product and great company

Reviewed on 28/05/2019

Was looking for an alternative to excel schedules that we've used for 20 years. Found OpenSimSim on a search, tested it out and loved it. Our search criteria was mainly, what will benefit the employee and the store the most.

Pros

Easy to use and navigate. Support is always quick to help when we have an issue. They gladly take our feedback on improvements and listen when we make suggestions.

Cons

That we can't incorporate all of it into our system. They have a time/attendance but since we have a POS system that does that, we haven't used that portion.

Madeliene
  • Industry: Sports

Great Software

Reviewed on 28/05/2019

We have had NO staff no-shows. Staff are able to see shift changes live (previously we were using an excel document). The roster is accessible and comprehensible.

Pros

This software is perfect for managing casual staff! The roster is accessible, shifts are easily tracked for the individual and the use of notifications has proved awesome.

Cons

We require the option of amending shifts from past weeks to reflect changes that may have occurred on shift. We require the option to swap shifts between casuals that have different "positions".

Kelly

Great for Small Business

Reviewed on 18/02/2019

We have appreciated the overall support from the OpenSimSim team.

Pros

I love the ability to love prior schedules and just paste to future weeks. We have been using OpenSimSim for more than 2 years and it was a huge improvement from the manual process we used. The ability to use the app for our associates has greatly improved our scheduling efficiency and reduced the errors in availability and scheduling.

Cons

We have had no issues with the software.

Briana
  • Industry: Events Services

Country club scheduling

Reviewed on 28/05/2019

I’m able to schedule my employees and communicate with them easily

Pros

A coworker had previously used it . I like that my employees can put in their availability and trade shifts with each other

Cons

I’d like to have a counter or additional notes next to each employee on their shifts and hours preferences. I have some employees that only want 20 hours a week or two days even though their availability is wide open. These details I have to remember.

Mario

Management

Reviewed on 14/08/2018

Really good, and simple to use to check my schedule

Pros

-I am able to check my schedule
-request any type of break or day off with this app
-simple design and looks good

Cons

-could upgrade the theme or design for better look however still nice

• Industry: Higher Education Software
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Odd functionality

Reviewed on 15/02/2019

Pros

UI is easy to understand and accessibility on both mobile and desktop is really nice. I'm constantly referencing my phone to check when other employees are going to be working so I know how to balance the workload and who to send tickets to. I work in I.T., so knowing who is working when is really important for handling clients requests quickly. OSS is easy to navigate.

Cons

There are several discontinuities in the functionality. I can view other workers schedules on desktop, but ONLY on days when I'm working. But on my phone, I can view other workers schedules throughout the whole week by turning my phone on its side. It really doesn't look great to have my phone out while at work, so this is frustrating.
Additionally, requesting time off and changing individual availability (not just regular weekly availability) is a pain and can't be done through both mobile and desktop app. There are many things I can do ONLY on mobile or ONLY on desktop, but not both.
Sometimes when changing my daily availability on desktop, the visual block may look like it's between two different times, but the actual time it states is several hours later.
There are many similar bugs and discontinuities between the mobile and desktop apps.

Melodee

• Customer Support Software

Observations from a first time schedule app user

Reviewed on 18/02/2019

Paper schedules were awful. It wasn't until we went to OpenSimSim that I found out how truly time consuming and wasteful paper schedules really were. After printing the schedule, it was almost always an incorrect copy by the end of the day. It was so frustrating. Now, everyone is up to date 24/7, able to see who is available for swapping and can swap shifts on their own. I appreciate having OpenSimSim as part of our scheduling process. Thank you!!

Pros

1.I love that there is an app! Doggonit, that thing is awesome!! When staff can get on there and swap and not have to call or message me to make that change, that's AWESOME!!
2. The help desk people (bless their hearts) are very patient, knowledgeable and are available to help every time I have messaged them.
3. I really like that I can stay home when someone calls in. I just open my app and send out a message as well as ask individually if needed.

Cons

1. I would like to be able to see/print a month view at a time
2. I would somehow REALLY REALLY like to be able to see what changes were made to each shift ie..who traded with who, who was originally scheduled on a shift, etc...
3. I would also like the ability to shrink the page (on the screen) so that I'm not constantly scrolling and up and down the page through a long list of staff

Gabriel
  • Industry: Restaurants

Good scheduling tool for managing a bar

Reviewed on 15/02/2019

I have enjoyed OpenSimSim more than our previous scheduling tool. Since pretty much everyone carries a smartphone these days, the schedules are easily distributed to the employees.

Pros

I like that the software works on multiple operating systems as well as moblile devices. I find the 'landscape' feature when a mobile phone is turned sidways to be especially helpful and well thought out. I really like genaral ease of use for scheduling, removing, and adding workers, arranging time off, basically keeping everyone in communication (and thereby accountable).

Cons

I have not discoverd how to do all my managent tasks from my phone, and thus must always use my computer. I don't know if that's an option, but it hasn't been intuitive enough that I have figured it out (or important enough that I have spent time to figure it out). I wish that when people sent messages that they were more flagged or intrusive, I have a lot going on and sometimes I miss messages sent through OpenSimSim... Like a pop up window or something?

Mitchell

Honest review

Reviewed on 31/05/2019

We use this every week with scheduling everyone for who's working and when. It's really great because before we used this we just had an Excel sheet and it had to be emailed out and with this, we can also see if they have acknowledged the shift where as with emailing it, it would be such a hassle with making sure everyone knew when they worked.

Pros

I like that I can have this on my phone and check it whenever I want to, and that I can edit shifts from my manager account from my phone. It's really easy to add availability and to teach new employees on how to use it as well. I really like that I can color code position titles as well.

Cons

I don't like that it shows all employees for our team members at one location, because it confuses them on who they can contact about getting a shift covered. I recommend adding their location or main location underneath their name in the messages part of it, or only be able to send a message to others at the location they have access to.

Tom

Product Review

Reviewed on 26/08/2019

Helps us communicate available shifts with staff who are sleeping from night shifts or currently busy with a customer where we cannot communicate with them, during our 9-5 hours in the office

Pros

It's easy to train staff to use it. It is reasonable customisable for how we need to use it as an agency. We use positions for each possible customer location that might request our services. There are too many locations for each to have its own schedule. Half of our potential customers listed use our services less than once a month. We are not staffing every location throughout the week with different managers like some of your users might be.

Cons

Please make it so that it is easier to add positions to staff in bulk, or groups. I spend too much time setting up new staff with all of the positions they need, or setting up new positions with all applicable staff.

C
  • Industry: Hospitality

• Customer Support Software

A Restaurants Dream Come True!

Reviewed on 14/03/2017

I first used OpenSimSim when I was a server at Urge Gastropub & Whiskey Bank. It was a convenient app that let all the employees swap shifts, pick up shifts and request time off. It was so great not having to call 10 people just to get one shift covered!
I then brought this amazing time-saving tool to the restaurant as a GM. My staff was used to the old-school way of using a printed excel spread sheet and then calling or texting a bunch of people trying to switch shifts, cover shifts, time-off requests, etc.. Once I brought in OpenSimSim, they raved about how useful and easy it was to use! If you are looking for a smooth running app that saves you time and money, then GET THIS PRODUCT!!! Thanks our reps & OpenSimSim for your outstanding training, support and all around awesomeness! I'm recommending this to anyone that will listen!

Pros

It's Free! It's a smooth running app. It's convenient, user friendly and my staff loves using it!

Cons

Nothing.

Response from OpenSimSim

Thanks for the fantastic review! The team is thrilled to hear that you have had such a great experience. Please reach out to us if you have any issues :-).

Pete
  • Industry: Building Materials

Great piece of software

Reviewed on 31/05/2019

One of the best scheduling tools I have used in a long time and its absolutely free! so Please keep it that way. You can set up as many work places on OpenSimSim and manage them from one place.

Pros

Live scheduling tool, any changes is immediately sent to the relevant people. Team can book time off on the software. There is an app for everyone to use. Its simple and not bulky. Gives you a breakdown of cost per day. You can have offsite working.

Cons

Not having the ability to talk to SAP Payroll. Not having the ability to input other breaks in a shift (paid and unpaid) you can only put one break in.

Maggie

Scheduling & Sharing Made Easy

Reviewed on 28/10/2019

This software is very easy to use. It allows me to schedule employees on days when they absolutely must be here, offer up optional shifts, and immediately tells employees that a new schedule has been published (this has dramatically reduced the amount of texts I get at 10:30 Sunday night asking when an employee is scheduled to work). Employees also have the option to request days off, mark days they're absolutely unavailable, and send messages through the app. It's really nice to be able to communicate with a whole team with very little effort.

Pros

Cons

The app can be flakey at times, and doesn't always notify me as the scheduler of changes. Time-off requests don't always show up immediately, and messages can be easily missed.

Kryssi

Easy and user friendly.

Reviewed on 04/06/2019

I am very happy with Open Sim Sim. I have used this scheduling software at two different locations and it has been a lifesaver. All of my employees love it too. Saves time and money. Making communication a breeze.

Pros

Schedule is alway at your fingertips ok your phone
You can edit and add shifts between employees.
Send out group messages.
Complete shift swaps
And manage all requests off.
It’s brilliant and bang for your buck is unparalleled

Cons

The program at times has technical difficulties which renders it useless.

Yahya

Works Great

Reviewed on 14/08/2018

Great overall, very good product with some amazing customer service. They get back to you right away and help fix your problem.

Pros

It's Free!!!!
It also has some great features, I really appreciate that they added the reminder feature to remind employees when shifts are coming up. Really easy to use. posting a schedule doesn't take more then 5 minutes and they have made it easy to copy over the previous weeks schedule.

Cons

it can get a little buggy sometimes and you have to refresh. The only thing that I would like to see different would be the ability to change availability for my employees. or to schedule folks even when they show up as unavailable

Micah
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Scalable and Easy to Use

Reviewed on 25/10/2019

Scheduling across two stores with different operating hours used to be a real struggle for me and very time consuming. I would estimate it takes me 1/4 of the time to make a schedule than it used to. It’s easy enough to use that I can even let my assistant managers or administrative assistant do the scheduling, and just step in to review it instead of doing it all myself - freeing up time to focus on what matters most to me, improving my business and increasing our returns.

Pros

I used to spend hours setting up schedules for both of the stores I manage. Ensuring time off requests and availability was such a hassle before I started using Open Sim Sim. Now I can easily see all of my employees availability and time off requests in a sleek interface and create perfect schedules in a fraction of the time it used to take.

Cons

Adding new employees could be easier, and the header menu navigation could be easier. Some of the features I use fairly often are hidden a little deeper in menus than I’d like, but overall I love the software.

Richard
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Clock in spot on!

Reviewed on 31/05/2019

Overall it's great to use, cost effective and easily manageable.
Doesn't promise you the earth and give you a pot!

Pros

GPS function, change shifts on the go, great messaging, easy shift allocation as SimSim learns over time with suggestions.
Customer service is very good with online chat, and tech desk resolution if issue not resolved in chat.

Cons

Can't enter regular shifts as recurring. So we have to continue with Jorte Calendar to keep regularity of shifts (daily, weekly, bi weekly, 4 weekly, monthly etc...).
Some updates can be frustrating as you have to 'find out yourself' while using.

Alex

iOS compatibility

Reviewed on 28/05/2019

Everything is great about opensimsim except in January of 2019 the update they did made their system non-compatible with use on iPad.

This is a huge huge downside of the product someone not to smart didn’t keep the system compatible with iOS on an iPad cuz I used it for over a year that way.

I don’t carry or want to carry a laptop with me everywhere which means I get chained to a desk to write schedules now that I can’t use my iPad anymore. Two thumbs down!!!!

JIll

• Customer Support Software

Good program for our catering company

Reviewed on 25/02/2019

Our company does off-premise catering for companies and social events. So we have an entire crew of people that never actually come into the shop! OpenSimSim allows a clear stream of communication with our staff.

Pros

The ease of use is what we like most. Any one of our coordinators can send out shift opportunities and we can keep them organized according to who sent the opportunity out.
Our staff has never had a problem downloading the app onto their devices, and they all enjoy how user friendly it is.
When I have run into a small problem or question, the support staff was right on top of it.

Cons

It would be better if , when a staff member declines a shift, that the program would keep track of who declined. Also, a red flag of some sort for a declined shift would be good.

sharnell

making my life easier

Reviewed on 11/10/2019

its fast, quick and i know the staff have all the same rosters. i know when my staff are meant to be here, when i am out. i can open and see who is at work.

Pros

I like that i can organise my staff easily and from home and work. I can click on the day and the previous shift for the week prior comes up. making it easier to duplicate days and shifts.
i like that i can see clearly when staff request time off, and i can nomnite days where no time off will be excepted.

Cons

that i have to scroll to find the current weeks roster. it should be the first week when it opens