Sunrise

Sunrise, formerly Billy, is a cloud-based accounting system

4.5 /5 (210 reviews) Write a Review!

Ben B.

• Customer Support Software

It’s an excellent app for startups & entrepreneurs!

Reviewed on 11/05/2020

Overall it’s been good. The support seems lacking as I’ve had to complain about stuff to get anywhere and usually don’t. So if I could have them improve anything it’s customer service, Zapier integrations and embedded payment forms for our websites.

Pros

I love setting my invoicing on autopilot - every month it bills my customers and manages the transactions. I can see who isn’t paying their bills, it’s great.

Cons

They still don’t have a Zapier integration yet, they recently reached out to me to be apart of their beta which is great as I want to integrate it with my all-in-one digital marketing platform Automate CRM. Doing so will streamline my signups / billing for done-for-you clients. I also think they need embeddable payment forms. Currently have to use stripe, but that bypasses their system so that won’t work for the long term. They need to get up to speed like waveapps, I’ve been checking their software out because of the limitations I’m running into.

Response from Lendio

Hi Ben, thank you for your great feedback! As you mentioned, we are excited to start testing the integration of Zapier in Sunrise. We take user feedback very seriously and we are always looking for way to improve our product. We've relayed you support concerns to our Customer Experience (CX) team and we will do everything in our power to do better by you. Additionally, we've taken your embeddable payment forms suggestion to our Product Manager lead. If there is any update whatsoever, you will be the first to know. Thank you again for your review.

Fredy P.
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Great accounting software

Reviewed on 21/05/2020

I've been using Sunrise for sometime now, haven't had major issues with it and when I had it turned out to be a user issue :p rather than software issue and support help me clear it.

Overall really happy with it.

Pros

Is easy to use, I'm not an accountant nor have many experience in that field so being easy to use was a big advantage for us. It has the core functionalities we need and many others that I certainly don't know how to use so It should have the required features for advanced users.

The invoicing system is great, easy and customizable.
Has a quoting and estimating system that's easy to convert to an invoice, also has an easy way to send reminders about our invoices and has some automation once you get paid.

It has a bookkeeping system and loans offering but we haven't used those so no comment there.

Cons

Would be great if we could use our own domain to send the invoices, reminders etc instead of the @sunriseapp.com

I haven't found a way to automate the invoicing process, using a csv file or something like Zapier or similar to avoid the need to create each item of the invoice . That certainly would save us a lot of time.

Not sure if these will be offered later or if there's already a way to do it at this time, just haven't found them.

Response from Lendio

Thank you, Fredy! We appreciate the kind and thorough review. Like you mentioned not everyone is an accountant. At Sunrise we strive to take the power of bookkeeping and put it into an intuitive and easy to use platform. We've taken note of your feature suggestion and we will make sure it gets in the hands of our product development team. Stay tuned for our Zapier integration going live this June. We'll make sure you are notified once is launches. Again, we appreciate you taking the time to leave a review.

• Industry: Information Services

Great Feature Set for Small Business Owners Ready to Move Beyond Spreadsheets

Reviewed on 21/05/2020

It helped me get organized and serious about my business accounting, which helped my business grow. And it's a great free alternative to Quickbooks Online.

Pros

This is the tool I recommend for any business owner/startup for double-entry accounting. It's the tool I used to get serious about my business accounting (moving out of spreadsheets). Getting organized with a chart of accounts, an real Profit/Loss statement, invoice processing/tracking/payments, and more helped me focus and grow. I purchased it when it was known as Billy, but now it's free and improving.

Cons

There is a bit of a learning curve, but it's not too bad. Lendio is improving Sunrise since acquiring Billy, but there are still some areas that can be improved. There is no account dashboard, meaning you have to go into each account individually to see if there are transactions to be reconciled or to check balances (this should be visible on a single page). Also, there is no way to save report settings, so if I want to see my P/L report by months for the current year, I have to make multiple selections each and every time I run it.

Response from Lendio

Our customer feedback is essential to how we improve the product. Thank you for providing us with your detailed review. As you mentioned, we plan to keep improving and making the tool better for our users. We have some exciting new product launches coming in June. Thank you again for your valuable input.

David A.
  • Industry: Media Production

Great Accounting Software

Reviewed on 08/05/2020

I have been using this software since it was called Billy and like it a lot. If they can add an app at some point I would be super happy with it!

Pros

Sunrise (formerly Billy) allowed us to streamline getting invoices out to clients. What was tedious before became very easy!

Cons

I really with they had an app to accompany the website. There are times when I need to find out info about a client's payment history, and there is no app. You have to log into the website which is not optimized for phones and can be hard to navigate.

Response from Lendio

Thank you, David, for the kind review. We are ecstatic you had a pleasant experience with Sunrise, especially around invoicing. It is exciting to know you were able to streamline your invoice process because of Sunrise. Currently, we have a team working on improving our mobile app. Look out for a new and improved app coming your way in the next couple of months. We appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Francis L.

Great Small Business All-in-one solution

Reviewed on 05/05/2020

Overall my experience with Sunrise has been great. I was skeptical at first but can see how this product has helped my small business.

Pros

Ease of use. The interface is easy and very accessible. Workflows and billing are simple. I don't need a professional accountant to help me get used to this software.

Cons

Pre-set settings or personalization features a bit lacking in the interface. For example, if I am looking at all my invoices, I want to see the fiscal year only. But whenever I go to that page, it shows me the full history of things which I don't prefer.

Response from Lendio

Thank you, Francis! We are thrilled you enjoy the interface and ease of Sunrise. Our goal is to simplify bookkeeping. We strive to do better for our customers and will take your personalization suggestion to our Product Development team. Thank you again for your awesome review!

Johnathan M.

Simple, But Powerful

Reviewed on 27/04/2017

I'm extremely satisfied with my decision to switch to Billy. I've been using the software for a little over two months.

I've developed some pros that I thought set Billy apart from some its competitors. Additionally, I've provided some cons to make people aware.

PROS:
- Ridiculously easy to use.
- The ability to reconcile -- most invoicing and billing softwares do not have this, and if they do, it's extremely complicated and hard to use.
- Customer portal (where customers can see past and current invoices -- paid, outstanding, and overdue)
- Recurring invoices
- Automatically import bills into billy by forwarding them to a Billy email address
- AMAZING customer service. All of the questions and concerns I've had have been addressed extremely quickly.

CONS:
- Some features are lacking

While Billy has a ton of amazing features, there are some features that they lack. See below:

- There is no CC option when sending recurring or regular invoices. In order to send to more than one person, you need to manually choose the contact and send. This can be extremely inconvenient for people who have a lot of recurring invoices that get sent regularly to more than one contact within an organization.
- It's a pain to reconcile batch invoices. If you have any sort of payment gateway that batches transactions into one lump sum (stripe), it's a little time consuming to reconcile. Evan generously provided me with a guide on how to do it, but it takes quite a bit of extra work than it does with normal transactions.
- There are no recurring bills. If you have bills that you usually get every month, you need to manually put them in each time you get them.
- There is no option to take out Billy branding within the invoices you send.

Super simple quoting and invoicing

Reviewed on 13/03/2019

Pros

I've used a few different billing software platforms, and I actually quite like Billy. At first I thought it was a little bit too basic, but I soon realized that I don't need it to do anything complicated, and the simplicity is actually a nice change. I bought a lifetime deal on the software when it first came out, I don't think that's still available, but I like the fact that there is no monthly fee (at least for me).

Cons

There are a couple of things that I don't like much. The first is that I'd like to be able to present my invoice and bills on my own domain, instead of a having a customer click on billyapp.com. The second is that I'm unsure of the delivery rate for invoices and quotes that are emailed from the Billy platform. I've had a number of clients say they never got a quote or invoice from me, so I usually download a copy and send directly from my own email. It could just be user error, so take that with a grain of salt.

Gary O.

• Customer Support Software

Has excellent potential but still has some way to go!

Reviewed on 05/04/2018

It makes complex accounting simple.

Pros

Billy provides a simple solution for accounting that is specifically designed for freelancers and agencies. It has a great user interface and is very easy to use. It is solid and I have never had a problem with.

Cons

The fact that key features have taken so long to evolve. I am talking about no PayPal integration and the fact that bank syncing has only just arrived in my country. The most annoying thing is that whilst key features are lagging behind the team are investing users money in having season Billy logos designed, which quite frankly is ridiculous. Their community management needs work as well.

Response from Billy

Hi Gary,

You didn't like our pumpkin head Billy face :(

Accounting for Non-Accountants

Reviewed on 20/11/2018

This helps me be more efficient and keep track of my accounts a bit better. I am still not utilizing all the features correctly or to their fullest but have hopes to get there. The key thing for me was being able to get up and going quickly and if not using all the features to at least have them more complex and dual entry accounting options available

Pros

I bought Billy because I needed an affordable, easy to use system for my Freelance business. This was easy enough for me to set up, includes room for me to grow with it's extended features and is something I can hand over to an accountant when I am ready. I love that I can collect payment from the invoice and take many forms of payment

Cons

I just an not a numbers accounting person and really dislike this stuff so I procrastinated on set up items that will help me and iddn't utilize help docs as much as I shoulda

John S.
  • Industry: Entertainment
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Efficient and Easy to Use

Reviewed on 21/05/2020

Overall, I like this product and have stayed with it even when other companies have offered their products for less money.

Pros

I can create a quote for a client in minutes with good details and add a deadline to it if I need to. I can convert the quote to an invoice if the client approves the quote. It is easy to see what invoices are open and easy to update payments for open invoices.

Cons

Changes to invoice permenant wording can be a pain because the access to this section is not obvious. Since it is something you only change once in a great while that means you have to keep great notes on how to do it or contact support every time.

Response from Lendio

Hi John, thank you for taking the time to share your review of Sunrise. Our goal is to help small business owners, so you have more time to focus on growing your business. We are thrilled you find the tool, especially invoicing, to be quick, user-friendly, and stress-free. Additionally, we've made a note of your invoice suggestion. The selection should be made apparent and obvious. Again, we appreciate you leaving us a review.

Daniela U.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

• Customer Support Software

Intuitive, easy to use accounting software for your small business

Reviewed on 12/02/2019

I use Billy for sending invoices to my freelance writing clients. It's an easy to use platform and meets all of my invoicing needs. It also allows you to bill with credit cards and Paypal, which my clients love.

Pros

Billy is my go-to program for creating invoices for my clients in my freelance writing business. It's easy to create a template, add products, and even send recurring invoices. You can also accept credit card and Paypal payments right from your invoices.

Cons

The email that is autogenerated by the software needs improvement. The subject line it creates is the invoice number, which isn't very meaningful to the customer. It also addresses the email to the name of the business instead of the name of the contact. I have to go in and change it every time I send an email.

Sandhya L.
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Great for a startup

Reviewed on 20/11/2018

Good, but would only use for the beginning year or two of a startup. Definitely not for advanced features or book keeping.

Pros

The Billy software is very easy to use, pretty trivial.

Cons

Billy lacks a lot of features as the company grows and advances, also does not have an actual app that you can use from mobile device. It is very limited in its use to receipt captures only.

Leonardo P.

• Customer Support Software

Accounting is boring... not with Billy

Reviewed on 11/07/2017

Made my life way easier when doing business in multiple Countries. Accounting is a serious thing, and Billy is used by many companies.

Pros

Ok, I got this software to help our company with our accounting. We have clients in multiple countries and with different currencies, so Billy is super easy to use and if you need the support is fast.

Billy is also a double entry software, which means its fully compliant with the rules of accountant.
I know, accounting is boring, but at least with Billy can be easy.

Cons

One thing that bothers me is the lack of recurrent charges. They do have recurrent invoices capabilities, but the recurrent charges would be an awesome add-on.

They said they will add it, if they really do, the software will have ALL an entrepreneur needs to keep things by the book:)

Ankit S.
  • Industry: Utilities

Superb accounting software

Reviewed on 02/05/2017

Pros

Credit and debit and expense on 1st page and balance sheet too and manage like you and mail invoice

Jacqueline W.
  • Industry: Accounting Software

Sunrise by Lendio Review

Reviewed on 09/06/2020

Pros

I like that it's very easy to use and the free version helps a lot for small beginning business owners.

Cons

I have to keep signing into the receipt capture tool to use it.

It would be nice to have the recurring invoices accept one-time payments

Response from Lendio

Hi Jacqueline, thank you for your wonderful feedback. It brings us joy to know that the software satisfies your business needs. We are always rooting for small businesses and want to make the tool as user-friendly as possible. We are currently working on better functionality with our mobile app. Stay tuned for some exciting updates. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review.

Eldrick L.

USER Friendly Invoicing

Reviewed on 28/04/2020

Great Product.

Pros

I like the invoicing feature and how you can add pictures to items. This made invoicing very productive for me. My customer was able to see exactly whet the product was they were getting invoiced for.

Cons

I need more information on the bank set up.

Response from Lendio

Thank you for your glowing review, Eldrick. We've made note of your feedback regarding more information on the bank set up. Here is a help article that may be useful: http://support.sunriseapp.com/en/articles/812569-link-your-bank-account. If you are still experiencing trouble, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. Thank you for your review and happy bookkeeping!

Gerry H.

• Customer Support Software

A simple and intuitive way to collect money from your clients.

Reviewed on 28/11/2017

Easy to collect payments from clients. It's as simple as that.

Pros

Very easy to use software, intuitive, and has a great UI. You can even see when a client has viewed your invoice.

Cons

There is not much I don't like about the software other than it needs more payment options. I like Stripe but I would love the option to use PayPal with some clients.

Candace G.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Tracks expenses very well!

Reviewed on 14/12/2019

I used to track expenses in a very haphazard way. This cost me money at tax time because I was never able to gather all of my allowable deductions together to claim. This program lets me track business expenses in every category, which means at tax time it will be easy ot claim every deduction allowed.

Pros

it is very easy to use and provides clear, clean methods to track my business expenses each week. There are plenty of helpful tips available as well.

Cons

I dislike that it has not been intergrated with PayPal yet. I hope someday it is. Many freelancers, including myself get paid almost exclusively through PP and it would be great to have all bookeeping tools integrated.

Kyle S.
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

• Customer Support Software

Definitely great for small businesses!

Reviewed on 20/11/2018

Pros

Very easy to use
Low monthly fee
Great customer service
Quick upload receipts feature which allows for quick expense records
Professional invoices
Easy to add discounts and corrections on invoices

Cons

It is a little 1 dimensional and lacks a bit of features

David W.

Sunrise by Lendio Review

Reviewed on 21/05/2020

Pros

The software is a smart component of my business. Yup, it's essential. Yup, it's focused to my accounting needs. Yup, it's very reasonably priced.
These guys do a good job, which is accentuated by the support I get from [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN].
Keep up the good work!

Cons

No complaints.
It's easy to use.
Wish I had found them sooner.

Response from Lendio

David, we are thrilled your experience with Sunrise exceeded your expectations. We are so happy to hear that Angelyn was able to organize your accounts quickly and thoroughly. We are extremely lucky to have her on the team.

Isaiah A.

Core Of My Business

Reviewed on 26/10/2017

Pros

I can really see how my business is doing, what my profit margins are and where I can adjust certain things. I run a lead generation business out of my home, and before I wasn't quite aware of how much was going out and how much I was bringing in, Once I got billy I could easily see where I could cut some unneeded expenses.

Cons

I would love to integrate the invoicing with my call tracking system (analytic call tracking) like ninja invoice can do with zapier. That would be great

Leah P.

• Customer Support Software

Billy has been a great choice for managing my books.

Reviewed on 07/03/2018

Pros

I like how easy it is to figure things out in Billy. I also like that things are customizable because I have more than one business that I send invoices for.

Cons

I don't like that it takes a few days for us to have money deposited into our account. I would like the option to use PayPal as a processor as well

Matthew B.

Great

Reviewed on 07/05/2020

Great

Pros

They're all about giving you a opportunity to be great

Cons

The phone has been busy every time I have called but I understand

Response from Lendio

Matthew, we are thrilled you had a great experience with Sunrise. Our customer feedback means everything to us and we take it very seriously. Thank you again for the kind review.

Matt A.
  • Industry: Motion Pictures & Film

Easy to use, Clean design, Efficient functionality

Reviewed on 28/11/2018

In general, Billy is great. It handles my needs seamlessly for invoicing clients and keeping track of everything. I haven't done taxes yet with it so I still have to see how well I can import the info into TurboTax.

Pros

I love how clean of design it is. After being bogged down by other programs for years, Billy does it best.

Cons

I wish that I could create a recurring expense and that there would be Zapier integration so I could link this with my proposal software.

Johnson L.

• Customer Support Software

Multiple functions and user friendly

Reviewed on 04/05/2020

Pros

Like the profit & loss and invoice feature. Easy to set up and and category of income & expenses.
Very good to keep track the profit & loss on a monthly basis.

Cons

Didn't see anything function that I don't like.

Response from Lendio

Thank you for your review, Johnson. We strive to assist business owners in the best way possible. This means making our tool intuitive and easy to use. Our goal is to simplify bookkeeping, so anyone can understand the health of their business. Wishing you success and growth with your business.