Homebase

Free employee scheduling, time tracking, and more.

4.6 /5 (759 reviews) Write a Review!

Maxwell P.

Scheduling & Labor Costing

Reviewed on 24/11/2020

Years of working with Homebase have shown that they constantly improve their product, and make it easier to use with integrations with common applications (via API access).

Pros

Quite honestly, one of the first things I recommend to businesses that want to schedule employees and know their labor costs that are up to the minute.

Cons

The one feature that I do wish was available, would be a calendar view that showed the entire department or business, so that it could be displayed on a monitor or web-based application.

Michael G.

• Customer Support Software

Best virtual timeclock for your money

Reviewed on 10/03/2021

Overall, my experience has been great with Homebase. Coming from manual punch clock, I've cut down my payroll process by at least 80%. It is easy to use (original software version is easy, new version is a little too messy so I haven't switched to the new view.) I still enter hours manually into QBO, because Homebase doesn't split regular and overtime hours. Not a big deal.

*A couple wishes*

1. I wish there to be a button when employees punch out that says "Did you take a lunch break?" (Yes or No) Reason for this feature - I don't make our employees go to the iPad at lunch to "Take a break" when it's lunch time. I would have a line up of workers waiting to punch in and out because our entire company shuts down all at once for lunch. That way, when some employees DO work through their lunch break, they can just say "No" to the question "Did you take a lunch break" when they clock out at the end of the day. Currently, everyday I log into Homebase and manually add each employee's lunch break, except if they leave me a note saying "No Lunch".

2. It would be great if time card notes for a whole current pay period could be amalgamated into one document as I am processing payroll. I currently have to dig through each time card to find notes of employees asking for vacay pay, sick days, mileage etc. If I just had a list of all the notes and names for that weeks pay, I can check off each note as I add their request into QBO.

Overall, I am still very happy with Homebase.

Pros

What I like most about Homebase is that it doesn't break the bank to put in a virtual timeclock system. It integrates with Quickbooks online and it is easy to use.

Cons

1. It does allow for a little customization, but not advanced enough for the way I run payroll.
2. It does not send separate regular hours and overtime hours to QBO.

David C.
  • Industry: Financial Services Software

• Customer Support Software

I've never seen so many bugs....

Reviewed on 27/04/2020

Bad,bad,bad. Customer service is responsive but there are just soooo many bugs with this software.

Pros

Very easy to use. The user interface is very simple and easy to navigate.

Cons

I feel like this is a beta software that should not have been rolled out yet. We have been using it for a week and have had issues every day since we started using it. Basic things that you think should just work doesn't work.
Example: All my employees have a 1 hour, unpaid lunch everyday. They clock in and clock out on this required one hour lunch but Homebase is still counting it in their total hours. So know I ma getting alerts that they all have overtime but they actually don't because Homebase is not calculating hours correctly.
So there have been several little things (Bugs) that I have found every day since using Homebase. I contact customer support and they tell me that they will pass it on to their product team.
This may sound harsh but the product team really should have tested this software more before rolling it out. Makes me question all the reviews I am seeing on here. All the bugs have been on basic functions.

Response from Homebase

Hi David -

We are so sorry to hear you've been having issues your Homebase account. This is not the experience we want our customers to have. Our head of technical support has just emailed you to see if we can remedy these issues for you. If you have any further issues, please reach out to me directly at [email protected] Looking forward to getting these issues resolved for you, and so sorry again for all the challenges here.

- Ryan

Jessica R.
  • Industry: Medical Devices

Awesome software!

Reviewed on 08/02/2017

Okay, so I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS APP AND LOVE THIS PRODUCT. Home base is easy to use, easy to read, easy to understand. The platform is SERIOUSLY DUMMY PROOF! My 9 year old daughter helped me set it up. It is seriously that easy! My 4 year old will open my app and can tell if I forgot to clock out when I left work, and he even knows how to clock me out at the right time! It really is just that simple. I love the restrictions it offers. I can determine whether employees can clock in and out from their app, I can determine whether they can see labor reports, view other employees schedule, and I love the fact that they can request off right from the app, and I can approve or deny right from the app. I love that they can switch schedules and I can approve it instantly from home. This app just has so many great features. I will never use another payroll system again.

Pros

I love that the employees can request time off or switch/trade shifts from their phone and I can instantly deny or approve the request. I love the ease of pulling the time sheets, and reading the time sheets. I love the access to be able to edit employees time on a daily or weekly basis. Employees can be horrible for clocking in early unauthorized, not clocking out to walk down the street to the store, etc. This app makes it simple to edit this carelessness from employees without even having to sit them down and talk to them about clocking in and out. Its kind of like, Okay, you want to take 20 mins to walk down to dollar general and you have already taken your lunch previous, oh and you didn't clock out. Well let me fix that mistake for you. The system tracks tardies, which is awesome, bc after 90 days, anyone who has been tardy more than 20% of their shifts, only gets offered a part time position within the company. This system gives us accurate data to show the employees at their 90 day evaluation, and the data can't be disputed bc it is tracked based on their clock in and clock out times.

Cons

I don't like the fact that there is not room for multiple clock outs under the edit mode. If we do not clock out for an extra break, there is no where to add it. I always have to add the time employees are gone to their lunch break. It give a false interpretation and false data when we pull data from this system for evaluations. I really wish you would update this to add columns for extra breaks, and reasons for the breaks. Also, I wish you would add a column to give explanation for employees that clock in late, miss a scheduled day, or clock out early. This system does not even track early clock outs, just late clock ins. We often find that employees will leave early to take care of things, and sometimes it can become repetitous. I would like to be able to track the data.

Chris S.
  • Industry: Hospitality

• Customer Support Software

I love Homebase and recommend it to other business owners

Reviewed on 16/09/2020

I love it. I recommend it all the time to other Camp Bow Wow owners. Whether or not you know it, Homebase is utilized by many many Camp Bow Wow owners and all always speak highly of your product.

Pros

Everything. For starters, it's very user friendly. I also love the scheduling, time sheet integration, PTO, chat/messaging, integration w/ Clover is HUGE. Having the COVID checklist when clocking in is also a great addition.

Cons

Homebase has some small glitches or bugs here and there but we look past that. For instance, although it's been a month or two now that I've heard an employee speak about this, Homebase does not always give you a notification when you receive a chat message.

Marybeth M.

Great POS system for a Sports Bar/ Restaurant

Reviewed on 24/07/2020

Scheduling is a breeze. I love i can duplicate schedules from weeks or months ago...sure saves time! It is great that I can Blackout dates that no staff can request off. It is great that staff can message each other or let the team know when a shift is available...to switch or cover for another person. I can send out a welcome message to the team when a new employee starts too...super easy to add staff as well!

Pros

It is nice to choose the apps that will work for your type of business. We are a sports bar, and it was perfect for us. It feels so good to not have a bunch of added items you dont use on your POS!!!

Cons

It seems to slow up at times, but it resolves quickly.
I don't like that we purchased a tablet and that will be outdated so it no longer is supported or provided updates. The tablet is convenient, easy to use and we use it for training new staff!

Christy O.

Definitely worth it

Reviewed on 22/10/2020

Overall this product and customer support have been great!

Pros

The reason that I started using g homebase was because it is linked to Square. However, even if I stopped using square I would still use homebase!

Cons

Some of the reports are difficult to configure and very time consuming to drill down to the data we need

Jason B.
  • Industry: Hospitality

• Customer Support Software

More than just employee time tracking

Reviewed on 17/02/2021

We started using Homebase for employee time tracking, but there are several features we have started to rely on and are really useful. Mainly posting new jobs on multiple job boards and tracking applicants. Also, this has become our tool for employee communications. I have talked to companies like Paychex that have similar product offerings, but they are much more expensive.

Pros

The core feature we needed was employee time tracking, but we have started using this for team communication and posting new jobs and tracking applicants.

Cons

I wish I could easier audit when the manager edits clock ins and clock outs.

Rebecca S.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

• Customer Support Software

The features we need, and not ones we don't, at affordable price.

Reviewed on 21/07/2020

Very helpful customer service-- they have gotten back to me within 5 minutes every time I have used the chat feature.

Pros

Unlimited users. Free COVID screening questions until September. Easy to copy schedule from one week to the next.

Cons

Takes a while to find all the different places to block notifications. I was getting 30 or 40 a day, about features we weren't using.

Dallas R.

• Customer Support Software

Easy to roll out and feature rich for non-HR people

Reviewed on 03/12/2020

My overall experience with Homebase has been very positive. It's saved me countless hours by automating and organizing a task that we used to do by hand in spreadsheets. It has also helped employees become more accountable and allows me to have a better idea of their performance.

Pros

The short learning curve and ease of implementation for a first time timeclock user were most appreciated. The phone app was very well received by my employees. The clean design of the user interface is very well done.

Cons

Setting up a repeating template is still clunky and more hands-on than I would like, although they've made some incremental improvements to it. It would be nice if when I approve time off for an employee, it would automatically remove the time they're scheduled for instead of me having to track down the conflict and adjust the schedule by hand. Finally, I've noticed a bug in the browser when viewing timesheets- the new date selector often times simply does not update the timesheets shown when I select a specific pay period, and I have to select the date range by hand.

Matt C.

• Customer Support Software

Homebase is amazing for our business

Reviewed on 12/06/2020

I believe that Homebase hit it out of the park with this app. The cost and usability are great. I would recommend this app to anyone that needs to track employees hours and other employee info.

Pros

The software is easy to use and has been very helpful to track our employees time and also to create and deploy our schedules. Also for tracking labor it is very useful.

Cons

There is very little to dislike. That is why I keep using it.

Wendy R.

Homebase for Aquatics

Reviewed on 14/01/2021

This has made scheduling so easy for me and my team. Time sheets are also easier and less time consuming.

Pros

Homebase makes my scheduling so easy. I do not have a schedule that repeats itself from week to week for any of my employees. Homebase has made it easy for me to keep track of all of my departments and schedule them with ease. I love that I can create a template to use for my schedules and just assign shifts to my team as needed. It was very easy to implement this when we first started with Homebase. The color coding on the schedules makes it easy for my team to know what they are doing.

Cons

It is sometimes temperamental and hard to clock in and out of on your phone. It will kick you out of homebase where you have to relog in and that takes time. That is sometimes due to our wifi here at our facility, but the geo fence acts up at times too.

Pedro L.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

• Customer Support Software

Great for large of small business

Reviewed on 24/11/2020

Very well

Pros

Easy to use and has several features and has some HR functions.

Cons

It does not print time card as in a W-2 format. EE can not use to verify income.

Sam C.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Great timesaver and easy to use

Reviewed on 26/11/2020

I was looking for a better option than Google Docs to keep track of hours for our staff. We started with a Google form to capture hours. But there was a lot of manual work after that to push the data to our payroll system. After we switch to new payroll provider that could sync with Homebase, it made the decision simple. Now I don't have to time about time sheets anymore.

Pros

Software as a service, cloud based
Time clock on mobile devices
One click export to payroll system
Mobile app to manage on the go
Monthly or annual payment option
Grows with your business
Add additional features when you need it

Cons

The user interface is a little busy
Does not have two factor authentication yet

Terran B.

Homebase Rocks!!

Reviewed on 19/01/2021

I absolutely love it and recommend to all of my friends

Pros

Keeping up with the time sheets and being notified if some thing is off like missed clock out

Cons

Changing a time because some one didn't clock out 2 days ago

• Customer Support Software

We got our homebase through our clover system, it was free and an amazing app.

Reviewed on 12/07/2018

I wouldn't change to another application, this has everything you will need for scheduling and payroll. Even if you don't have a clover you can go online and set up your business to schedule your employees.

Pros

I could post schedules with ease and it wasn't hard to learn the program. My staff loved if because they could download the app on their phone, see their earnings, schedule and could request time off or switch shifts. Once the staff requested off or changed shifts it gave me the opportunity to approve or deny the request. Also once I uploaded a schedule it would text or email the entire staff or just the ones I made changes to.

Cons

They did update the system and it is a little bit or a learning curve. It also changed how the staff sees their schedule and dashboard.

Sara P.

Easy to transition to

Reviewed on 14/10/2020

Its easy to learn and my staff loves it. They love being able to claim an open shift, request time off and even trade shifts with eachother. I like how it notifies me to approve these changes.

Pros

I love the phone app for the staff and being able to claim an open shift or trade shifts or request coverage.

Cons

Need events to be multi-day so you don't have to list the same event each day... if it could have a start/end date that would be fabulous.

Hillary L.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

• Customer Support Software

A great employee management tool for small business

Reviewed on 05/01/2021

We like Homebase because it's a good value and lets us keep track of our employees better than having written time cards, which can be a liability. The features in Homebase allow management to set geofencing and times to avoid mis-reported hours and overtime. Our team also likes that Homebase offers a free recruiting too, which is an excellent bonus. We've used it several times and it's great not having to pay a lot for Zip Recruiter or Indeed.

Pros

Homebase is easy to use as a "clock-in, clock-out" option for employees with non traditional hours and who work remotely. I personally like the geo-fencing options as well as the option that doesn't let employees clock-in early.

Cons

Sometimes it's confusing setting up schedules. We have regular employees who are in the office as well as non-traditional employees, so a system that is easy to use is important. I think it just takes more getting used to.

Dusti B.

Great value

Reviewed on 22/10/2020

Homebase allows me the flexibility that I need as a business owner. It has employee info at my finger tips and is very user friendly.

Pros

I love being able to see the schedule and adjust easily. The fact that my employees see the changes right away is great too.

Cons

The biggest issue I have is not being able to cancel time off.

Jesse K.

Glaze Teriyaki // Homebase

Reviewed on 03/12/2020

Overall, I am a very big fan. Price is great, and it makes scheduling / time clock management super easy. I have recommended to other restaurant owners, and definitely would again.

Pros

- I love the scheduling functionality all-around. The ability to repeat schedules for future weeks, the way I can apply one shift to multiple days for an employee, etc.
- I love the way the ease with which my employees can switch shifts with each other within the app.
- The iPhone app is great.

Cons

My one issue is that sometimes the time-clock has issues syncing with my payroll company. That being said, I don't really know if that's an issue on the Paychex end or on the Homebase end.

Tracy N.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Great solution for Medical Billing Practice with Remote Employees

Reviewed on 17/07/2020

Pros

The mobile app was perfect when we had to go remote during the pandemic. I can still track the location of time clock-ins since we had to disable the geo-locking feature.

Cons

The PTO time is a bit restrictive with the inability to change the daily hours from 8 hours for approved PTO.

Andrew K.

• Customer Support Software

Homebase has saved us time AND money

Reviewed on 04/06/2020

I've loved using homebase, we used it for two different locations that had very different needs and it fulfilled all requirements really well! I have already recommended Homebase to other restaurant owners. Everyone I know that uses it LOVE it!

Pros

I love the fact that I can set schedule templates with open shifts and allow my staff to pick them up as they want. It shows us who is and is not driven to be successful. I also appreciate the ability to limit early clock-ins and the location tool that require employees to be ON SITE before clocking in for a shift.

Cons

There have been a few times where a user gets "stuck" in the system and I'm unable to manage it on my own. Given the speed of tech support, though, it's not a big deal.

Edward E.

Great Product Lots of features

Reviewed on 12/03/2020

Pros

Ease of use for scheduling. Also like the job posting feature.

Cons

We use an iPad with Square stand the App does not rotate and makes it difficult for my staff to use as they have to tilt their head.

Grace C.

• Customer Support Software

Great but could use upgrades

Reviewed on 02/12/2020

Pros

Easy to use, self explanatory. Like the hiring portion as well

Cons

We have a lot of technical issues adding people in.
Need a more specific way to clock leadership people in abs having different ways to show different roles. The way it is now is cumbersome.

Sheila P.
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

Perfect Price Point

Reviewed on 19/11/2020

Super simple to use and implement. It meets our needs with very low cost investment.

Pros

We started with the free version and as our compnay grew we were able to upgrade with ease.

Cons

It would be nice if we could publish individual slots and not an entire day or week. We can't remind our clients thorugh the app. For example, we set up our schedule to show our employees whose homes or business they are cleaning. It would be nice if we could generate auto reminders to the clients using the schedule.