Drift

Live chat & in-app messaging for sales & marketing

4.5 /5 (152 reviews) Write a Review!

Darien C.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

Drift is a high quality chat platform with a significant load time

Reviewed on 02/03/2021

Drift has a lot of great features, and although it can be confusing at first, it is well worth the effort. My only complaint (and the only reason I wouldn't use it at this time) would be the significant increase in load time on my websites, which caused me to look elsewhere for a better solution.

Pros

I inherited drift from my predecessor, and immediately found it to be a very powerful and useful platform. It offered simple chat solutions, sent follow-up emails to people who didn't see your chat automatically, and provided numerous other useful features. It had a simple chat window that caught people's attention and generated chats, all of which we found very useful for our needs

Cons

Drift has a couple key problems - one being the overly simplistic and confusing backend UI. For users, there were just so many options on the admin side of things, and using it, I immediately felt lost and confused. This likely would have been different if I'd been part of the team that set it up, but starting to use the platform required quite a learning curve to customize it to our needs.

Perhaps more significantly, I used Drift for a period of time while updating my companies website - and upon switching to Wordpress and using Drift, I started to notice a significant increase in load time - with lighthouse & gtmetrix revealing a significant load time (I believe it was over 1.3 seconds of load time) caused by Drift's code. Needless to say, load time is key in website conversions, so I switched away from the platform pretty quick after that.

Response from Drift

Darien,

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your experience with us. This feedback is really important to ensuring we can improve for our customers. I'd love the opportunity to introduce you to our produce team if you'd be open to chatting more. Feel free to contact me directly at [email protected]

• Industry: Legal Services

Good Conversational Marketing Tool

Reviewed on 15/10/2020

Whether it's worth paying for tool like this will depend on how engaged your audience is and how big your traffic volumes are. We felt that for us the tool was not worth the money. There are much cheaper alternatives on the market if you're just looking for customer support tools.

Pros

Lots of features that are likely to appear to enterprise B2B companies like lead routing, instant meetings booker, help centre article look up.

Cons

Had issues with bugs in various areas several times and had to contact support and wait till they were resolved. Not very straightforward how to configure the tool in the best way and debug playbooks. Documentation could be better.

Response from Drift

Hi there, Thanks so much for sharing this with us, I'm sorry you had difficulty getting your issues resolved, and the documentation wasn't super helpful either. Appreciate you letting us know. If there's anything else you want to connect about feel free to reach out to me directly at [email protected]

Ramon H.

• Customer Support Software

One of the most appealing, beautiful and expensive website chats on the market

Reviewed on 31/07/2018

- Providing a beautiful and direct contact option directly on my website
- Direct targeting of specific customers groups with chat messages, emails and pop-ups
-> Increasing the number of leads & sales

Pros

- The design of the chat widget is gorgeous. It works on any browser and every mobile phone, I've tried, like a charm. With other chat widgets, I had lots of issues that it hasn't been displayed always correctly.
- Advanced bot and automation capabilities based on tags and other attributes
- Live view of prospects on your website with direct contact via web chat functionality
- Outbound marketing (sending sequences and tracking of emails) with their drift Gmail extension.

Cons

- Drift is quite expensive for what they offer. I'm one of the happy customers, which has gotten a startup license of the pro plan for a fraction of the normal price. Even with the pro plan, you have unnecessary restrictions like customization of the chat widget with CSS and using the smaller version. Most of the enterprise features as account-based marketing are great for any startup. Why isn't just the support by Drift and the quantity of usage restricted? Why do I have to see the restrictions within your account always and cannot just hide them if I cannot afford? Are they in need of that kind of marketing?
- The calendar cannot be completely translated into the language of your choice and you can't use a custom domain.
- Help center is branded with drift, even if your plan support branding free chat widget.
- I've received lots of emails from Drift about their Hypergrowth Conference (at least 10 in the last few months), which is quite annoying, no matter how personal and funny they have been written.
- I receive quite some emails regarding extensions of the core product like Drift Signature and Drift Help Center, but I've never gotten an update what has changed in the core product. After a while looking into the bot creation section, I've been flabbergasted that the whole design of the visual builder has changed, without me receiving any message about the advantages the new design and process brings with it.

Jen N.

2 years strong

Reviewed on 05/12/2019

Very positive. The changing of hands in team members has been difficult, but the software is intuitive enough to be supportive independent of people at times.

Pros

The team and the development of the tool. The people are incredible. They are helpful, involved, and genuinely enthusiastic.

Cons

Being an early adopter, the best practices weren’t written well into our first few years and the software itself has gone through impressive, but drastic change.

Aaron j R.

• Customer Support Software

Great way to add essential chat functionality to your website

Reviewed on 11/12/2017

Great way to provide value to visitors and be able to clearly communicate.

Pros

Drift is an easy way to bring chat to your site - especially when people are less and less willing to browse your site for answers and don't trust you'll ever respond to your "contact us" form. We've enjoyed using Drift and really like how seamlessly it integrates in with HubSpot.

Cons

The only complaint I have about drift is some of the functionality that's behind a paywall. I understand they need to make money, but some functionality that seems like a basic requirement to me is behind a paywall and eliminates itself from the conversation of some smaller businesses that don't always have someone able to answer immediately at all times. That being said, even Drift's paywall is easily justifiable for the benefit it provides.

Nick S.

• Customer Support Software

A time consuming disappointment.

Reviewed on 15/04/2020

We asked very specific questions during the sales process (no trial available - this should have been a red flag) where the salesperson misrepresented the capabilities around integration, usability etc. There was plenty of 'sure it works just like that'. We would have identified this had a trial been available.

Drift is expensive, has slick marketing, so I assumed it was good.

I should have quit at this point, but had our developers work around the many issues and the 'ohh you need to pay 10x for that'. Support was very lackluster. Focused on upselling features already promised on the current plan.

Our developers hated it (I should have listened)...

Our salespeople did not like it, the bugs it Drift manifested in a form that made our salespeople look stupid to customers. They were actively creating workarounds to avoid using it.

And here I am. Drift keep charging, and the support people 'can't find my cancellation request conversation' ironically, in Drift.

So, let this be a warning for managers. Drift is really great at marketing, the halo effect is strong! But walk away and save time.

Pros

Drift is a chat tool with some rudimentary marketing automation.

Drift's bot workflows are conceptually good. Email 'playbooks' are similar to a basic marketing automation platform.

Cons

I purchased Drift against the recommendation of our developers on the promise of its segment.io integration. Drift was buggy, did not work as described with segment.io and had numerous usability problems for end-users (customers).

Response from Drift

Hi Nick,

Wow, we really let you down. I'm really sorry for all of the places along the way we didn't deliver on the experience you expected. Thanks for taking the time to detail this feedback and share it.

If there is any interest, I'd love the opportunity to talk live ([email protected]) ... or simply feel free to email me directly if there's more you'd like to share with me.

Thank you again, and a sincere sorry for the poor experience you had with us.

All the best-

Julie Hogan, VP Customer Experience

• Customer Support Software

Simple setup and hassle-free website chat solution

Reviewed on 22/07/2019

Pros

Easy to set up and inject directly into your homepage. Can set up routes and automated conversations (albeit this process can be streamlined/cleaned up a bit)

Cons

Software can get a little clunky - leading to significant amount of resources rendering and setting up the chat button/bubble upon website load.

Andrey R.
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

• Customer Support Software

A modern way to connect with your customers

Reviewed on 30/09/2018

I still use Drift and will do further.

Pros

I implemented Drift in my website. The reason is not just I want to connect with my customers. but to show them that behind that e-commerce store there is a real person.
Nowadays, people loves connecting by others by typing what they need or what questions they have.
I use Drift app on my smartphone so I can answer fast to my customers.

Cons

My suggestion is to offer an option to choice louder or another sound notification when there is a user on the other side. Very often I can't hear that someone has just sent me a question. And then I miss the opportunity to answer.

• Customer Support Software

A great product that wasn't afit for us

Reviewed on 06/04/2021

Great product that wasn't a fit for our buyers

Pros

Drift was very easy to use. The conversation-building tool was fun to use and change. It is very well done.

Cons

It didn't capture leads for us. I think our buyers hated the bot.

Mackenzie J.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

An Easy Way to Engage Website Visitors

Reviewed on 18/01/2019

Overall, we have been pleased with what Drift has enabled us to do. It makes our sales engineers more accessible to interested prospects and has been successful in moving contacts through our sales funnel. I would definitely recommend this service to smaller/mid-sized organizations who have the resources to monitor the chat inbox.

Pros

First and foremost, Drift was incredibly easy to setup and integrate into our existing website using just a small snippet of code. Once it was setup, Drift has successfully engaged with countless visitors to our website who may not have otherwise remained on our site or found what they were looking for. It's scheduling features are a great way to organize and rotate "on-call" teammates.

Cons

We were excited about testing the conversational bot feature that Drift has rolled out to supplement the standard chat window. We are somewhat disappointed with the current capabilities of that feature to personalize a landing page to our branding. As a result, users experience a somewhat jarring shift to a landing page that looks nothing like your own on a completely different URL.

Stephen S.
  • Industry: Financial Services Software

Conversational Marketing is a Great Tool

Reviewed on 27/02/2020

A really useful tool and a great way to interact with your customer base.

Pros

Conversational Marketing is a great tool because it allows you to interact with your customers automatically.

Cons

The tool is very useful there isn't much bad to say about it. The tool requires you to learn how to use it.

Response from Drift

Hi Stephen,

Wow! 10/10 we are flattered! Thank you very much for sharing your feedback, please let us know how we can continue to help you this year in achieving your goals!

Not my Favorite Chatbot

Reviewed on 12/02/2019

Pros

It syncs well with our CRM (Salesforce).

Cons

I find it not very user-friendly. As someone who came into the administrator role after the account was already set up, I had a difficult time navigating. The chatbot script creator could be much cleaner. I find myself having to write the script in an excel document with a complex numbering system in order to easily input it into Drift. I also wish it had more features that some other chatbots have, like heat and click maps.

Jason B.

We use Drift for our church and LOVE IT

Reviewed on 21/03/2018

Pros

It took me 5 minutes to have it working from sign up to installed on the site. Our staff uses it and rotates days answering peoples questions from our website and mobile church connections site.

Cons

I wish there was a way to use it as a nonprofit with some kind of break. We don't have a lot of resources and would love to have multiple logins, but we don't have the budget for all the things we wish we could do with Drift.

• Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Amazing lead gen tool

Reviewed on 29/01/2021

Happy we on-boarded this product. We have definitely seen the value and a return on our investment

Pros

We are so glad we added Drift to our marketing site. It is now one of our top 3 pipeline channels. We've seen very high quality leads come through who want to quickly talk to a rep.

Cons

Building the playbooks can be tedious but overall the software is very intuitive. Reports are pretty generic.

Response from Drift

Thank you so much for sharing this. Pumped to be in your Top 3 for pipeline channels! I'd love to connect directly to learn more about your success! - [email protected]

Julie Hogan, VP Customer Experience

Ruth C.

• Customer Support Software

Great way to start conversations via your website

Reviewed on 19/10/2018

Pros

This customer chat tool was easy to add and integrate into our website. It makes it really easy to connect with website visitors who might have questions or learn more about us. I also love the integration with Slack.

Cons

No major concerns with using Drift at this point. So far it's worked well for us.

Jeroni V.

There are a competition

Reviewed on 17/04/2018

Pros

The new affordable monthly subscription. Drift or Intercom? Finally, I choose Drift forever. Because Drift allows me to get free access to software to going learn slowly.

Cons

I can't get access to bot feature with my plan. And I have to looking for another software. I'm waiting catalan language option in menu.

Tristan L.

VG Support Chat

Reviewed on 29/02/2020

Everything has been pretty good so far and as we expand use we know we will have good support.

Pros

The interface is nice and easy to navigate. Support is great as one would expect. Easy to set up and use workflows

Cons

Some of the training content was elementary level and the mobile app isn't quite as easy to use as other programs Ive used.

Response from Drift

Hi Tristian,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. I'm glad you've found Drift easy to navigate and set up. We appreciate the feedback on content. We are working on making improvements to this within the year...in the meantime please check out https://www.drift.com/insider where you will find advanced and premium content!
Julie Hogan - VP, Customer Experience

Samuel H.

Drift - Live Chat / we love it

Reviewed on 07/05/2020

It was very quick to set up and start using. I feel that we have improved our business and had better interactions with clients because of Drift.

Pros

I like that we can have the live chat open on mulitple pages of our website. The 'chat bot' is kind of cool and can draw customers in.

Cons

There have been a few times that I wish the notifications had come through faster. Other than that, I haven't had any complaints.

Response from Drift

Hi Samuel,

Thank you very much for sharing this. We're thrilled to hear you are a 10/10, and that it was quick for you to set up and start using. Please let us know how else we can help you!

Sujith K.

• Customer Support Software

Best AI powered chat software to handle web traffic

Reviewed on 14/04/2019

Pros

If you have a booming business or you are running short of your support or sales team then this is the best app to look forward too. One it cuts down man power cost and second and most important thing is that it lets you profile your user before making them have a convo. this helps your sales team to understand the user and engages your user rather than keeping them waiting

Cons

It is the best but the best comes at a cost. Good for organization but can have a cheaper plan for small scale companies or start-ups

Joe J.

• Customer Support Software

I couldn't be happier with the software or the team behind it.

Reviewed on 15/04/2016

Drift is new out of the gate as I write this review. So far it has about 5 unlocked features along with Drift Daily. Drift helps me help my clients engage with their audience while on the site. It always about the buyer. We can do a lot with creating a website experience that is helpful to the buyer, but with Drift it becomes a two way conversation. It's hard to believe there is nothing else out there that is as easy to use or so well thought out. It's been about two decades of a society relying on web browsing and it seems like a long time for a product this brilliant to come out. It's not about the product alone. It's the experience. Drift has an awesome culture that makes for awesome experiences for me as a user. Amazingly well done!

Response from Drift

Hey Joe, Love to see great reviews like this!

We work hard to make sure customers come first.

I'm curious about how your business has changed after having Drift on your site.

Best,
Kyle

Bill S.

• Customer Support Software

Very good lead engagement/capturing tool

Reviewed on 16/06/2017

Pros

It's very good in terms of user engagement, user support (through the chat feature) and also lead capturing.
The ability to book meetings automatically is very useful, and in a way Drift is like a sales machine that's working on its own while you're away.

Cons

Not all features of Drift are fully customizable.
Also, some features are not easily accessible from the main menu, and you have to dig deeper into the settings to access them.
Also, the LeadBot is only available on the monthly plan, which is very expensive.

Zahra H.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing
  • Used Other for Free Trial

Drift is Awesome

Reviewed on 04/12/2019

Quick signup, great for getting leads. I have not given instant messages on website much importance but when someone recommended it, i was convinced and Am very happy that i got it on my website too. Usually the contact page is for the same purpose but with drift it gives the impression that you will get back very very soon and I do get back - so although contact page and drift message come to my email and i reply instantly, but someone people get in touch with drift more. Well played!

Pros

It free, works with wordpress, shows an online presence, send email instantly, great for getting leads!!!! What more could I want...

Cons

Nothing really. The individual paid plan is VERY expensive. But since i dont use that, i'm fine with free.

Mike M.

Drift Review

Reviewed on 28/08/2019

Overall, very satisfied with this product Very easy to integrate and it has huge array of options within the app that can help with scheduling, email capture and a ton more.

Pros

What I like about this product is it was really simple to set up and integrate with my websites. Very user friendly

Cons

The only part I was concerned about was it being a 3rd party platform, but this has worked out really well.

• Used Daily for Free Trial

• Customer Support Software

Misleading, no free trial and bad support

Reviewed on 04/07/2019

We're Intercom user and were looking for an alternative. Drift advertised as the best alternative but it doesn't provide the advertised features. According to their pricing, you can send Sliders and Proactive Messages in Standard plan. But you can't. You have to subscribe to a higher plan because it requires premium Bot's features.
Reached their support and requested a refund after one hour of signing up Drift. They simply turned down my request.

Pros

I like their ads, landing page and messaging

Cons

Drift is messy and very limited. They don't allow to see what's inside. If you want then you have to pay. So we paid their monthly subscription just to view their admin dashboard and to see they don't provide what is advertised.

Riccardo S.

Great

Reviewed on 16/05/2017

Pros

I'm using Drift to stay in contact with my clients. It0s really easy to use and even easy to set up on WordPress.

Cons

Wha I like least about Drift is the Ui of the button. I think the user should be able to select the shape.