OfficeTools

Run your tax and accounting practice from a single solution

4.1 /5 (177 reviews) Write a Review!

Cathleen V.

• Customer Support Software

Office Tools "was" the next best thing. Honest review: I have "loves" and "hates"

Reviewed on 04/11/2020

The portals are easier for my customers to use than my old portal product.
Customer service: none unless they can sell you more product or $$. Often times unresponsive.
Billing flexibility definitely better than my old product but recurring monthly or quarterly not as automated as I would like. We found the dashboard to be very confusing and counter productive as far as tasks, appointments and to-do items, my staff was still keeping spreadsheets of their projects for clarity. Too many extra steps required to completely clear something from your view of things to do. free-flow document management took a bit to get used to over windows folder structure, but very manageable. We have actually now split into two different products as we wanted beefier document management tools. Calendar connecting with exchange was a hot mess.

Pros

There are a lot of things I love about this software and it was a vast improvement 3 years ago over what I was using. Love: Project tracking, although not as complete as we would like - we have actually left for one that has a more Kan Ban style visual approach, with the ability to tag colored status tags on a project as it moves through the process. Love: Billing: select all time entries related to a project to mark up and bill, or bill all out marked up for a monthly subscription client. Love: ability to link charge card processing both to portal and to invoice. Love - time reports for easy payroll processing. My clients love the portals.

Cons

Hate: document management presentation - must specifically look for emails or notes related to a project: have since moved to a product that has a chat-style interface perfect for a remote workforce. Hate: could never get project reports to print everything I needed. Matter of filters. I will give them the benefit and say perhaps I didn't learn that part well enough. Hate: tech support used to be terrible before they were bought out, has improved but still not great. I may now be really spoiled by the product I moved to - response sometimes within minutes. Hate: BEWARE: their contract has auto renewal without positive confirmation from user. I left them because I spent countless hours with their tech support, and many many $$ in tech support, and by their own admission, it was an issue they were aware of, and nothing to be done about . Now they want to charge me for the entire year and not let me out of it, unless I spend countless more time and $$ to try to resolve the issue that they already know they could not resolve. We have been receiving an error message when logging in for months. They know about it.
Yes, you can just click through it and log in, but it is another annoyance that they are aware of yet still want to charge me for an entire year when I have limped through the last several like a dedicated customer. The ability to link my calendar in exchange to that in Office Tools was a deal maker/breaker for me.

Terri S.

• Customer Support Software

Long term Office Tools User!

Reviewed on 23/10/2018

We have been using Office Tools for 12 years now. I cannot imagine how we functioned without it before and would not want to go back to those days. It is a very affordable and very comprehensive product. Also, it is very easy to implement and use. Our need to get support has been rare. Without hesitation, I recommend Office Tools!

Pros

Everything in one place! We have our scheduling, project and deadline management, phone call tracking, time-keeping and billing, and document management all in one place.

Cons

There really is nothing that I don't like about Office Tools. We did try out their client portal a few years ago, and we went to Sharefile to get some added features. But, we are going to go back to try the Office Tools client portal again before the end of the year. I am hopeful it will be a great change for us.

Dan M.

• Customer Support Software

Office Tools has been a very practice management tool for our firm

Reviewed on 25/10/2017

Pros

The product has a lot of features that made the implementation in the first year wonderful. The support staff was great and easy to access. Ease of use, reporting, billing features

Cons

40% + cost increase for the new year. The Lacerte software integration did not work very well. There are issues that could not be resolved with the multi-firm features of the product

Andrea H.

• Customer Support Software

The program has been great at keeping client and billing details accessible.

Reviewed on 20/10/2017

Ease of reports for billing, client records, staff utilization, accounts receivable which make our office run smoother and more efficiently.

Pros

The numerous reports and ways in which to cater a report to our specific needs. For example, I can create a WIP which shows work by date, or work by employeee, or work by code. These options have all been useful for different needs.
The contact lists are also versatile which helps with birthdays, phone lists, contact type lists.
Form letters is useful and we have created several this past year catered to contact type.

Cons

There have been issues with the document signature feature; months went by with giant red lettering appearing on the documents, so we could not use that feature; when the feature was fixed with a new upgrade, we were not informed of the upgrade.

The email link from Outlook is not reliable and keeps stopping on two of our computers. This feature would save time and keep records straight with our clients, however, we cannot keep it connected.

• Customer Support Software

Office Tools has been a value add to our accounting and tax group. Great product for the...

Reviewed on 17/10/2017

Office Tools helps our accounting and tax team stay organized and able to prioritize work without missing deadlines. We use the system to allocate resources to streamline the busy season workload and the workflow to make sure we know the status of every project along the way.

Pros

It is a great way to track project progress and make sure deadlines aren't missed. It is also a simple solution to time tracking, although our firm doesn't use the system for billing purposes, it is helpful in budgeting resources.

Cons

My biggest complaint is that reports can't be exported to Excel, and not every pre-built report has all the data required. Without having a custom report prepared by the developers at Office Tools, you are somewhat limited on reporting flexibility.

Ryan J.

• Customer Support Software

The software has the potential to be an elite program but it is grossly underdeveloped.

Reviewed on 19/10/2017

Pros

It has all in one capabilities such as client management, time tracking, billing and payment, reports, scheduling, and document storage.

The platform layout is clean and user friendly.

The learning curve to its features is low to mid-range which can be credited to it's design functionality.

It does utilize some integrations well such as the Dymo label printer and Drop Folders.

Overall, calls to Customer Support have been adequate with at least 90% problem resolution. I do have to knock the Customer Support to 2 stars because they do not have any early morning east coast support hours. If I have an issue with Office Tools I have to wait 4 hours to reach anybody on the phone. Half of my day is now gone.

Cons

Communication from Office Tools to its software owners is horrible. Known disruptions in services was communicated after the fact.

Software updates are non-existent. As of this review, 10/19/17, there has only been 1 public release update to the software in all of 2017 (v2017.019) and that was in January. That is unacceptable.

The Contact Screen has a narrow scope in what it allows for user input. I believe there are only 5 open variable fields that we can alter to collect data specific to our practice. The rest of it is dead white space underneath of it.

Software only allows one taxpayer's information to be displayed on the main Contacts screen with the spouse relegated to a "More Contacts" tab. It is more efficient to have all contacts displayed on one screen.

Client portal only allows for 1 contact email address.

The portal is not a responsive web design and certainly not friendly to mobile devices. There are buttons in the portal that are only seen when scrolled over (Pay Now buttons on invoice tab).

Payments made via a portal invoice do not sync down to the billing screen.

Downloading multiple documents from the portal is inefficient. There is no "Download All" button.

E-signing process is convoluted to the signer and has bugs which have not been fixed.

Form letters do not give you access to all collected data variables.

No user community to introduce or vote on feature requests. LinkedIn or Facebook aren't the solution.

Kyle S.

• Customer Support Software

Horrible. Unreliable. Blindfolded company culture.

Reviewed on 17/10/2017

It taught me not to believe the features you read on websites.

Pros

The days it works without data loss or speed issues. More often than not, it is extremely slow and non-responsive. We have an amazing cloud environment with more than adequate resources for this basic application. Office Tools is the only program that is slow or non-responsive on a daily basis.

Cons

There are many many little glitches that we have not brought to supports attention because we were told by your support team: "glitches must have been previously identified to exist". Your engineers told my IT consultant that we were not using the software properly, which resulted in the DATA LOSS we were experiencing. This is complete crap, as I witnessed the issue with my own eyes and know that Office Tools has a critical engineering issue that can result in lost data. I have also experienced the data loss issue across two separate companies (and IT environments) and have experienced this issue as far back as 2014. But that's not important, right?

The ABOVE MENTIONED ISSUE IS PROJECT ASSIGNMENTS CAN REVERT TO PREVIOUSLY ASSIGNED ASSIGNMENT WITHOUT ANY PROOF THE NEW ASSIGNMENT WAS EVER CREATED.

THE PROFILE SYNC DOESN'T WORK. THE CEO ACKNOWLEDGED THIS AS A KNOWN ISSUE YET THE COMPANY IS STILL SELLING IT AS IF IT WORKS.

ACCOUNTS WITH THE SAME PRIMARY CONTACT MAY HAVE THEIR FILE NAME CHANGED BY OFFICE TOOLS WITHOUT THE ABILITY TO CHANGE IT BACK TO THE PROPER NAME.

THE SIN (CANADA) NUMBER DOESNT SHOW PERIODICALLY UNLESS YOU HIT THE EDIT BUTTON, THEN IT MAGICALLY APPEARS.

Overall the software is not reliable and the company culture is disappointing. I brought the data integrity issue to the CEO and he brushed it off as a non issue, despite it being mission critical for his customers. Never will we recommend this software to anyone. It sounds better than it is.

Jeffrey T.

• Customer Support Software

Very user friendly software, very customizable, excellent customer support, very reasonably...

Reviewed on 02/08/2017

Keeps my firm organized through project workflow, keeps track our time and billing, hold all of our client information.

Pros

The software is very user friendly software, very customizable, very reasonably priced. The customer support is amazing and they are open to feature enhancements. The features I enjoy most are the syncing with QuickBooks, the excel import feature, timers and entering time with ease, activity list keep you organized, project workflow is amazing. Very excited about the web based version coming out at the end of 2017.

Cons

Needs to link to other tax software other than just Lacerte.
Number of reports could be improved but not bad.

• Customer Support Software

Office Tools is a great program

Reviewed on 26/10/2018

Overall it is a good program and I would recommend it. They are always working on adding new features and also have a place for customers to make suggestions on features they would like to see or changes that would be better.

Pros

This software is a great option for tracking clients/vendors/contacts, to do's projects, deadlines, and reminders. I like the options for setting a reminder or not when I create a project. I like to be able to see not just my project /to do list but also for everyone in the office. I also like that we can store documents related to the client/contact/vendor to easily find them when we need them.

Cons

Some features and settings are not easy to figure out. It would be nice to customize the program more to our needs but customization's are limited.

Daniel S.

• Customer Support Software

Overwhelming but the only software that handles our 3 of our major needs all in one place.

Reviewed on 30/10/2017

Client info, notes and documents are all in one place.

Pros

It keeps Client info, notes and documents all in one place. It will keep permanent notes on clients plus

Cons

The dashboard is visually overwhelming. It is really hard to see what you need to do at a glance. Way to many places to enter dates for a project. Overall it is cumbersome to use. Plus you charge us to have people help us understand the overly complicated program.

Sandy J.

• Customer Support Software

Great program! Really helped us move our practice to the next level.

Reviewed on 02/08/2017

Increased revenues. Increased productivity. Increased accuracy.

Pros

Improved project tracking and time management increased our revenues more than enough to pay for the entire cost of the program. Employees are more productive. Projects and files are easier to find and track. Clients love the portal.

Cons

Not an overnight learn. Took three months to fully implement. Four years later, we're still learning but definitely worth it.

Edeler C.

Fantastic program

Reviewed on 14/05/2020

I love it I use it every day it keeps control of all my work that we have to do it allows me to keep tabs on my staff on their jobs and projects that need to be finished

Pros

The ability to have the information all in one place documents projects contact information is perfect

Cons

Easier connection between Quickbooks and outlook with the program back-and-forth interaction

Gina T.

• Customer Support Software

Great software, could use some improvements

Reviewed on 30/10/2017

Having all my firms client info in one place. Being able to track projects through the office.

Pros

I like having everything tied together, having all a single client's info in one place, being able to link related clients, have all notes in one place, etc.

Cons

There are some bugs, it's also a very hefty program so it sometimes runs slow on our aging server. Also it's pretty complex to learn and some features are counterintuitive.

OfficeTools Experience

Reviewed on 24/10/2018

OfficeTools is a great way to organize all client information and communicate with other staff. Invoicing and running reports has caused issues but overall the system has been a major support to our work.

Pros

The document management on OfficeTools is great! We are able to keep all client information in one location that staff can view an edit at any time. It also allows for up-to-date information and increases our communication efficiency.

Cons

The invoicing and reporting are not compatible with an upfront/fixed pricing model. If OfficeTools' system were to treat real retainers as liabilities, we would be able to have more accurate reporting. Right now we are having to do many workarounds to get decent reports.

• Customer Support Software

Good product, but not always cost-effective for smaller firms

Reviewed on 17/10/2017

Pros

easy integration with various programs, easy to use portal and effective DMS system. Add to the easy of setting up the annual engagements and you have a great system.

Cons

Least is the cost and required training. further, the program is not yet Cloud-ready. also, the server-based DMS does not provide for security of the data files

• Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Affordable and useful

Reviewed on 01/09/2018

We have improved our organization with customer files thanks to Office Tools. Time saving and cost effective software have resulted in better productivity numbers.

Pros

Easy tracking of customers data, project status, schedules and due dates. Helpful customer service team.

Cons

Some generated reports can not be export to Excel spreadsheets. Length of contract could result an inconvenience, specially when you are trying to explore some other software.

Erin M.

• Customer Support Software

Easy to use once initially figured out

Reviewed on 10/01/2018

Pros

I like that there are so many different features and functions available within Office Tools. It is very user friendly once you figure out what you need to do and how it needs to be done.

Cons

The numerous features are hard to figure out and not readily apparent unless you're told about them in a tutorial or by a coworker, etc. It's not very easy to just play around with and figure things out.

Paul S.

• Customer Support Software

This software has a lot of potential to be the center piece of a practictioner's management...

Time and Billing
Staff productivity

Pros

Shared data with Lacerte allows easy set up and constant changes.
Connected system to allow project assignment and control
Time & Billing

Cons

Difficult until you get the hang of it.
Implementation should be done in steps to learn its quirks and how your workflow should be adjusted.
Weak scheduler. Must set up prospect/cleint before putting on calendar

Ashley S.

Good project management

Reviewed on 23/10/2018

This is much better project management than the old-school way of passing along a paper from preparer to reviewer, etc.

Pros

This software is great for managing and tracking projects. It helps the firm stay organized and on-track. There are lots of great features to maximize efficiency.

Cons

My bosses say that accounting for retainers in the invoicing process can be improved.

Debby M.

Smooth operation

Reviewed on 21/09/2018

Pros

This software is very easy to use. I like that there are a variety of reports

Cons

I do not like the recurring billing function. Or at least I have not been successful in getting it to work properly. It would be great if it did so I wouldnt have to do my billing through Qbooks

Nickisha M.

Reviewed on 13/01/2018

Pros

It has time keeping, customer data and billing most of what one would require using a management software.

Cons

Technical support is most times hard to reach which can be a bit frustrating but that's the only issue I've had so far.

Autumn D.

Great customer service!

Reviewed on 18/10/2018

Issues are always solved quickly. Customer service agents are always helpful and friendly.

Pros

Incredibly user friendly and easy to navigate.

Cons

The occasional crashing or locking up but it's typically taken care of quickly with easy fixes.

Doug D.

• Customer Support Software

Good one stop software for an accounting firm tracking time with decent reports.

Reviewed on 17/10/2017

Pros

Time tracking is great. The project and assignment system is a great way to organize and maintain accounting and tax clients with multiple employees. Central location for all clients, information and documents. Syncs with Lacerte tax software. We also do all invoicing through the software.

Cons

Hasn't been updated in a long time with no new features in two years. Desktop based and they are not building a web product. Does not sync with QuickBooks Online. This is not leading edge software.

Jon B.

• Customer Support Software

Updated review

Reviewed on 11/02/2020

The company does not care about its users. They acquired this product from the founder and once the sale went through, service and support plummeted. Plus they required a 3 year contract and now I understand why. Otherwise, they probably would have had users leaving them in droves.

Pros

The scheduling and project tracking tools. Also time tracking.

Cons

Buggy. Not a day goes by without issues.

Tim M.

• Customer Support Software

They held my business hostage

Reviewed on 15/03/2018

Pros

It was okay to use (only took 3 years to set-up). However the schedule Sync only worked with Outlook and only sometimes. The export to QB did not work properly.

Cons

Customer service was always slow and often not helpful at all.