OfficeTools

Run your tax and accounting practice from a single solution

3.7/5
4.0/5
3.7/5
Customer Support Software
3.8/5

180 Software options

Lyndsey L.

• Customer Support Software

Office Tools has streamlined our office, we now only use 1 program where we used to use three.

Reviewed on 23/10/2017

Everything is in one place. I can track the progress of projects that co workers are doing, so when someone calls and can tell quicker where we are on there return or other accounting service.

Pros

Can add To Do's in program for reminders to do several things.
Keep track of appointments easily.
Documents are easy to find.
Can add notes about clients.
Can track status of projects and set due dates.
Can send documents out for esignatures securely and its easy for clients to sign and return.

Cons

Wip and A/R balances don't match from end of month to beginning of next month.
When adding Wip to invoices, system writes off balance to zero instead of showing profit if billed amount is still over the amount of WIP on bill.
Documents for business clients is harder to sort, employees like to have folders.

Janet P.

• Customer Support Software

Great productivity tool but has some issues

Reviewed on 05/05/2020

It streamlined our business and made every step clear for each team member. The projects flow nicely from one person to next. Especially while we work remotely because of the Covid-19 pandemic, it allows us to work efficiently without missing a beat.

Pros

OfficeTools creators have thought of every aspect of the business and that's what we loved. Any questions that we had "can we do this or can we do that" the answer was yes. You can create projects, assignments, To Do and have it set-up anyway that works for your team. You can use it for marketing emails with groups, etc. Very well designed.

Cons

It has glitches and it takes some time to learn how to use it. For instance, I don't need to use Lacerte, but I had to have it installed so I could use OfficeTools, otherwise, I kept getting error messages. And then, you have to make sure you are logged in to Lacerte every morning or the program won't work properly and the only way you realize that is when you are looking for an assignment or a document and you don't see it - then you inquire from your team and they say "Oh, it's there, I can see it..." then you realize you need to log back in for the software to refresh and show you everything. It doesn't notify you that Lacerte has been logged off.
Also, the training module and how it works was a bit confusing for us.

CCH Tagetik

Reasons for Choosing OfficeTools

JetPack was a good product for a start, but it doesn't have all the capabilities that OfficeTools offers. We are a growing business and we needed something that allows us to do that.

Jetpack Workflow

Reasons for Switching to OfficeTools

OfficeTools had more options for projects and assignments. It also works with Lacerte.
Marsha N.

I have had an amazing experience using Office Tools

See my survey

Pros

The record keeping itself is worth its weight in gold. Having one software that lets you store and organize files, create and follow projects, time keeping and billing as well as schedules. I totally have become solely dependent on this one program to enable me to complete days of work into several hours. Customer support is the best. They taught me and helped me without judgement!!

Cons

Need it to be cloud based for easier use anywhere work takes me. Pricing is a bit high for smaller clients. I would like to have all of our accounting clients using this product. I also wish the big Vegas Show was on East Coast as well.

• Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Fantastic Software

Reviewed on 12/04/2021

I think the interactivity of this program makes it a winner and puts it at the forefront of innovating in its industry.

Pros

All client information is available to each member of the team, and viewing the progress of the tasks being completed is very easy. In a virtual environment it has become more important to be able to monitor one another on a team without “micromanaging” and constantly having status meetings, so this is fabulous.

Cons

Sometimes the video tutorials are a bit confusing, so I prefer speaking to someone through the phone support. Reading the articles isn’t as self explanatory as it is made out to be, but this can be different based on who is using this software.

Marion T.

Fine for us, for now

Reviewed on 14/05/2020

I can't easily get reports I feel I should be able to get. Such as all clients who came to us in 2020. If that is possible I don't know how. I find the training to be less than helpful. I've watched videos, but they frequently don't look like the product I'm using and never seem to be to the point. If I could easily switch to another product I would likely do so. But my information is captured in Office Tools and I can't get it out and don't want to lose it. So I'm stuck.

Pros

The software does a good job of keeping our database of clients and their personal data. We use the Contacts features, Notes, ToDos, Calls and Schedule features. We do not use the other features such as Projects.

Cons

I think it's expensive for the features we use. I think it is better suited to a larger organization who want communication among users who are not in the same office together. I have difficulty getting out letters and distinct lists of information. If you don't do those tasks very frequently you forget the process and it takes too long. As with every database it take constant and I mean constant updating. In the midst of a busy time we do not have the time to keep the database up to date so every few months I have to give a chunk of time to getting it back to rights.

Peter S.

• Customer Support Software

Great all-in-one tax office tool!

Reviewed on 17/10/2017

Having everything needed to help/work on a client at your fingertips in one piece of software. We consolidated 4 programs into one when we moved to OfficeTools. We could FULLY consolidate 2 more if they were reliable and user friendly enough for staff and clients (AIME and the portal). But as it stands we have to have backups for both to function properly.

Pros

The best thing about OfficeTools is the integration of contact manager, schedule, time/billing tracking project management, billing, and documents. There are lots of other features that are included as well but those are the big ones. It's great going to one client and having access to everything you need.

Cons

There are some quirks that you just have to live with, but overall it is a solid piece of software. There are times when support just cannot figure out a solution to a glitch we are having and we just have to wait to see if it will be resolved in a new release. Another thing that is quirky is having to go to another client and then back into the one you are working on the get the system to update.

Mostly small little things that aren't that bad and they do seem to attempt to address issues as they go so it is by no means a dead software.

Alfred H.

Comprehensive Practice Management Solution

Reviewed on 19/10/2018

Overall, I've been very satisfied with Office Tools. In the past, I was a member of the firm that developed its own computer-based time and billing system. Office Tools offers all the recording and analysis tools we strove to provide in our package and integrates nicely with document management and contact management.

Pros

Office Tools provides all the elements required to manage my small accounting practice. Contact management, document management, time, billing & collection are seamlessly interfaced. The Office Tools modules that I do not use do not interfere with the use of the elements that I do use.

Cons

it is difficult to find something to dislike about Office Tools. It is sometimes difficult to find where, in the program, adjustments to certain settings should be made. Also, occasionally, it seems that updates are promulgated, of which I do not received notice.

Mark P.

• Customer Support Software

Great product; horrible experience with new owners

Reviewed on 12/09/2018

Originally used Cloud9 to host all applications, AbacusNext bought Cloud9 and pushed to have users move to APC Cloud. Horrible experience - see reviews for AbacusNext. Also used OfficeTools which was purchased in 2017 by AbacusNext. AbacusNext would not let me renew my OfficeTools licenses because I no longer hosted my other apps on APC Cloud, even though I moved away from AbacusNext legally and ethically. They held me hostage as Abacus gave no prior notice that they would not renew my OfficeTools license. Ended up without a practice management software for 3 months while I searched for and implemented a new one.

Pros

It's a great practice management software for small accounting firms; workflows, reminders, time & expense all good

Cons

When AbacusNext bought out OfficeTools the culture and professionalism went down the toilet.

Richard C.
  • Industry: Financial Services Software

• Customer Support Software

Generally good - but concerned about the future.

Document/contact management

Pros

Good Product. OTP good service - but only on West Coast Time - need to expand hours . Staff, particuliary Mike G and Jarred F, are great to work with.

Cons

Company bought by Abacus 5/31/17. Sales now handled by Abacus. They want a 3 yr contract!! No upgrades of any kind since Abacus - but price increase and they want a 3 yr contract. Seem to be pricing themselves out of market for small firms. First comments were that I should just pay the increase because of the buyout. I think they should improve my value before raising prices! Three year contract is not competitive!
Like the new weekly training classes, hope they will keep these archieved so we can use them for staff training

Breanna B.

OfficeTools Review

Reviewed on 04/05/2020

OfficeTools has solved many of the problems that we had prior to the program. Client information can be kept in one program. From the client's contact information to their documents it is all easy to access. We like being able to record their calls, take notes, and create reminders for a specific client. The activity list is a great way for each staff member to keep track of their tasks. We like that we can record almost any interaction with the client so that we always have something to reference or refer back to.

Pros

OfficeTools can be great. Our firm likes that all of our client information can be kept in one program. From the client's contact information to their documents it is all easy to access. We like being able to record their calls, take notes, and create reminders for a specific client. The activity list is a great way for each staff member to keep track of their tasks. We like that we can record almost any interaction with the client so that we always have something to reference or refer back to.

Cons

This software has a lot of bugs and glitches. We have contacted customer service several times due to a bug or glitch and we have had to wait months to get an answer because they weren't sure why the problem was happening. Most features functionality is great, but we feel the documents area is lacking as far as ease of use and functionality go. We also have completely stopped using certain features due to them continuously not working properly such as the eSigntures feature. We also have trouble with our schedule's. Each individual staff member's schedule will occasionally change on its own. Either appointments will be moved or deleted completely.

Gloria D.

• Customer Support Software

Overall great practice management.

Reviewed on 23/10/2017

It has streamlined our document management and simplified the need for multiple programs to manage the workflow.

Pros

I love the convenience of having my contact information, billing history, client data and records all within the same program. It definitely helps maintain a smooth workflow.

Cons

This software still has many limits. Multi-tasking is very difficult because you have to constantly change contacts and screens. The report functions are not very robust. I would really like to see Crystal Reports built into OT so that I could truly customize my reports, letters, and invoices.

Stacy H.

• Customer Support Software

Exponentially Increased Productivity !

Reviewed on 18/10/2017

Pros

The ability to record client contact. Having client documents at your fingertips. No more paper files to haul around. Office staff can check on the progress of a clients tax return just by looking for their name. Notes about missing documents needed to complete a tax return are right there so anyone can pick up where someone else left off.

Cons

Could have better client reporting options. Maybe a way to bypass steps in the project to jump ahead without doing each step individually.

Julie D.

Still Learning All Possible Uses

Reviewed on 18/10/2018

This program has helped me organize my week and prevented missing deadlines.

Pros

I like the monthly schedule because I can take a look at one page and see what I have coming up for the week. The only complaint is, I am now entering as appointments and in the past I was able to enter as "to do's" Also, am impressed with the customer service when I had problems with resetting my password.

Cons

It will take some time to learn all of the possible uses, but like what I have used to date. Do wish there were more training options. We have the assignments set up and I like being able to see what needs to be done but can be overwhelming if you get behind.

• Customer Support Software

OTP is relatively easy to use. It is quite forgiving.

Reviewed on 17/10/2017

Much easier for billing purposes, tracking projects and allowed us to reduce the number of software products used in a day.

Pros

Quick and easy entering new contacts. Many ways to classify and group contacts. I'm also a big fan of the "bill to contact" feature. It's easy to focus on the clients you need to contact.

Cons

Only one email can be utilized per contact. Not easily managed when contact name has to change and they often do in cases of marriage, divorce, death of one of a couple or sale of company etc.

Catherine S.

• Customer Support Software

Comprehensive, seamless, efficient. I love it more all the time. It is a great value.

Reviewed on 21/10/2017

Increased revenue, better time management, better client and staff metrics.

Pros

The comprehensive design is delightful. It really does give CRM, time and billing, document management, project tracking, calendar and scheduling, and more that I don't even use yet. Nothing else I have looked at for myself or clients compares.

Cons

The portal service is a bit cumbersome for our clients sporadic use since the forget their passwords and lose the log in info.

Patrick F.

• Customer Support Software

Was a good value, not anymore.

Reviewed on 21/06/2018

Pros

The software has most of the workflow functions centralized. Time & Billing, Client Database, a watered down document management, and calendar.

Cons

We have used it for 4 years now. The basic functions work well, unless they push an update and it breaks something. (2018.059)

Lots of functions in the software are of zero use to us -
Integration with Lacerte (We use Proseries)
Integration with QB for billing/collections (We are cash basis in QB)
Canon Scanners (We use large multifunction Ricohs)
Portal (No better than our website portal)
Cost - Abacus took over, gave us no communication, and a month before busy season help us hostage and doubled our cost. Here we are a year later and have doubled our cost again. ZERO improvement in the software since they took over and increased cost.
The latest update Abacus pushed out literally broke the software. Printing reports and collecting payments now take extra steps.
Doubling the cost twice with zero improvement to the product is how you lose business.
We are actively looking for a replacement. Even if it costs the same as Office Tools, having communication, customer service, and trust is worth more. They completely fumbled this merger.

Leslie C.

Long time user. Couldn't imagine a day without Office Tools

Reviewed on 02/08/2017

Great Practice Management resource. Everything in one place and syncs with my other software programs.
When I first signed on years ago and they went to a new platform, there was some growing pains, but none since.

Pros

Connects your business all in one place. Great Customer Support. Great yearly conference. Great value for your money.

Response from OfficeTools

We are greatly pleased to receive your feedback and thank you for sharing. We hope to see you at next year's conference!

Marilyn B.

• Customer Support Software

Way better than our 20 year use of Timeslips! This is a fantastic project for billing &...

Reviewed on 23/10/2017

Increased efficiency and ability to bill quickly.

Pros

Easy to prepare invoices in many different formats. Great reports. The staff utilization report is great and helps understand the profitability of each employee.

Cons

sometimes it is hard to understand the reports and where the numbers are coming from. There are a lot of reports and we need more training in the use of the reports.

Jonathan B.

Great Program

Reviewed on 24/10/2018

Pros

We love the contact's feature, Notes, and the project management. The Client portal has also been a huge hit with our clients as it is very easy for them to use and understand.

Cons

It does take a bit to set up. I can't attest to their support in terms of helping as we originally started using the software before Abacus Purchased them.

Abraham F.

• Customer Support Software

Great product. It was a real turning point for my firm.

Reviewed on 27/10/2017

Pros

The office tools software package has a great document folder system and an excellent time billing program.

Cons

The project and workflow is a bit overwhelming. I went to two seminars and used a few hours of support and still cannot implement the use of programs. It might be due to the high volume of small projects that my firm has.

Tyler W.

• Customer Support Software

OfficeTools has really helped streamline the status tracking of our Firm's projects.

Reviewed on 23/10/2017

Pros

Interface is quite easy to learn and use. Even our least tech savvy employee has enjoyed utilizing the program. I also like the versatility offered within many of the program's functions. If we need something done a very specific way, I'm almost always able to find a feature or option that makes it possible.

Cons

I wish program updates were automatically downloaded with an installation prompt provided to the administrator. Soft releases left me behind on three updates (2 workstation / 1 - server). It was a hassle playing catch-up. In addition, I feel reports should allow for the sorting of projects by the Alias field.

Jill M.

• Customer Support Software

Wonderful product makes managing our clients and their projects easy

Reviewed on 10/07/2018

Pros

Robust and comprehensive management of our firm can maintain client database manages all projects and invoices from this software too

Cons

The acquisition by abacus was rough customer service dipped and help was slow to come this was at the height of prep for tax season very inopportune

OT

Reviewed on 03/09/2018

concentration of several tasks in one program is good

Pros

Easy access to time, client base, projects.

Cons

lack to run custom reports across different areas, jobs assignments hard to follow sometimes.

Kim P.

• Customer Support Software

OT has been difficult to implement and use. We have had several technical difficulties as...

Reviewed on 27/10/2017

Pros

We bought the Program because it interfaces with QuickBooks and had a scheduling program. I gave customer support the best rating bc they are lovely and patient when you talk to them. The employees really are your best asset.

Cons

The software has had several technical problems. It doesn't seem to easily showed budgeted time for scheduling purposes like we thought. It doesn't sync with QuickBooks easily (invoices show up skewed). There are so many boxes to click and items to fill out that it makes entering information time intensive. And some of those items really don't do anything (click the Extension box on a project, but there is no Extension report to show who you have on extension as an example). Crystal reports are clunky to work with. I gave training a higher score because they are lovely, patient and informative, but an issue we have with training is sometimes the trainer will tell us to do "x" but doesn't explain how that will effect "xy&z" down the road. I really wanted the software to work well for us but it really has been difficult.

• Customer Support Software

Used to be a good product, but stay away now.

Reviewed on 04/01/2018

It does the job but the company that purchased and currently manages the software has turned it into a commodity. There's better options out there with better service, support, and pricing.

Pros

It has most of the features one might look for in a practice management software. Time keeping, billing, and customer data.

Cons

Pricing triples out of the blue, customer sales and service is worse that dealing with the IRS, Tech support is typically unavailable, and a lot of quirks with how it reacts with other programs on your computer. Time for us to move on to something else.