OfficeTools

Practice management, time & billing software

4.1 /5 (176 reviews) Write a Review!
4.1
3.8
3.7
3.8
Sandy S.

Disappointed

Reviewed on 11/05/2020

Support - was a joke in year 1 of our contract. It took at least 3-5 days or more for someone to get back to us. One day I got lucky and [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] called me. She is the best asset your company has. She knows how to provide support. I even tracked down someone at the Abacus Next Conference to make sure they knew how valuable she was. Shortly after, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] had to inform me that I was no longer allowed to email her directly and I had to go through the ticket system. I complied with her request and now I'm back to hating your support. I know we are just a little guy in your eyes. I am the type of person when I love something I tell everyone about it. I also tell everyone when something is not right. I could never refer your product. We will be switching to another product as soon as we can.

Pros

Firm has been using for 4-5 years. It has served us well and we use most of the functionality.

Cons

Lack of technology development. When it was announced there was a QB online integration we were very excited and converted. Our 150 clients are on QBO, however we remain on the desktop version due to Office Tools. We then learned it does not integrate with QBO Accountant. We then had to convert back to QB desktop version as it was our only option. We patiently stuck with Office Tools on the belief that the software would continue to be developed and evolve. At this point we wished we had not signed our last 3 year contract. With the signing of the 3 year contract we were given/comped 3 hours for training. When we went to use them we were told those hours had to be used in the first year - WHICH WAS NOT TOLD TO US. I had our sales rep check into it and the "board" advised the hours were expired. WOW was I shocked. I had never been given something from a company that was complimentary to then not advise me that the hours had to be used in the first year. Who ever made this decision just made our final decision for us. We will NOT be renewing our software when the contract ends. Too many disappointments.

Stacey W.

Been working with Office Tools for nearly 14 years now

Reviewed on 10/10/2018

We use Office Tools for our companies billing, tracking time, tracking our projects for our clients and for our scheduling appointments with clients. We have used this product for nearly 14 years and it helps our office run smoothly. We have access to each others schedules and daily tasks. Everything is right at our fingertips.

Pros

I really love that it is user friendly. It really helps keep me on track with my tasks with all the projects that have been assigned to me and when it was assigned. It really helps me not forget about projects. I love all the available reports that you can print. There are reports to help track or Work in process and reconcile our billing and many many more.

Cons

There is not any thing really in particular right now that I would say I least like about the software. I find that if I have an issue with the software I can call technical support and they are always very helpful.

Judy R.
  • Industry: Accounting

Could be a good product but no customer service to help you realize its potential.

Reviewed on 30/03/2020

Trying to get answers to specific questions is futile. There is no attempt to identify a problem. They are dismissive if they have never seen it before . As you show them, on your screen, what the problem is and ask for a solution you get - "you need the newest update, that will get rid of the problem" or "it is your fault" or my personal favourite - "that doesn't happen" as they watch it happening on the screen.

Pros

Love the time feature. It is easy to record the time you spend on a file. You can have multiple timers going to track clients that you have stopped working on while you answer the phone, or wait for info from them.

Our billings went up 20 % immediately because we were keeping track of our time better.

The project management is great as long as everyone is vigilant about tracking their files. It is a constant challenge to get employees to record the movement of a project but constant vigilance and discussion gets the point across to new staff quickly.

Cons

There is no follow up on queries, compliments or complaints. They only call if they want to sell you more.

It could be a great product if the customer service was there. Someone that will look at the problems and discuss possible solutions or a work around. But that doesn't happen so thank you Capterra for giving us alternatives to look into.

Steven M.

Lots of Value - Great Price

Reviewed on 07/08/2017

Pros

I'm a sole practitioner. I've used the product for over 8 years. I mainly use the billing, due date monitoring and portal. Office Tools makes my billing process easy. I have set up standard paragraphs and just insert to complete the invoices. Due date monitoring keeps me aware of due dates and will roll forward projects when completed. I have Thomson Reuters Practice included in a subscription package for essentially no cost, but choose to continue using Office Tools as it is a straight forward robust product.

Cons

I really don't have any "Cons" per se. On rare occasions, the software will freeze and I'll have to restart.

Nathalie M.

Office Tools - Good for Small Companies

Reviewed on 16/05/2019

I had a very positive experience with Office Tools. It was very easy to use and could store a lot of data. Opening, copying, and saving documents was also very efficient

Pros

I liked how user friendly the software was. It was easy to store and save data as well as track workflows.

Cons

Creating workflows wasn't very intuitive

Response from AbacusNext

Dear Nathalie,

Thank you for taking the time to review OfficeTools. We're so glad you found the software to be user-friendly, and we appreciate your feedback about creating workflows.

Thank you for your patronage; we look forward to being of service for many years to come.

Best,

Katie Ternes
Marketing Coordinator
AbacusNext
(858) 882-4882

Michele A.
  • Industry: Accounting

support has been great, pretty easy to use

Reviewed on 23/10/2017

tracks my employees time so I know how much to bill my clients. I use it as my billing program and to keep track of employees time to I know what their hours are each week

Pros

the information is very accessible. the program is pretty easy to use. has reports that are very helpful and I don't think I use the program to its fullest potential

Cons

when an update goes through we seem to have a glitch and when we go into the program it says we are already logged in so we aren't allowed. We have to go in on another user and switch something to be allowed access.

Without this software our office wouldn't be able to function.

Reviewed on 23/10/2017

keeping everything straight. with so many clients and "projects" its imperative to know where everything stands. who has it, whats being done, whats missing, etc. having the documents in the system attached to everything (be it a meeting, a call a project) is a huge positive.

Pros

Everything you need to know about any client, contact, etc. is all in one place. whether it be an email, a phone message, document, meeting notes, client files, projects, time and billing. we can research anything and find anything on them. one stop shopping.

Katie H.
  • Industry: Accounting

The Practice Management we have been searching for!

Reviewed on 17/10/2017

The amount of information this product can provide has been a powerful tool for our firm. It has significantly reduced the amount of time it takes to setup new clients because we have been able to reduce the amount of software our company uses. It also is a time saving tool with the automatic email and text appointment reminders.

Pros

We love that is a one stop shop for all of our practice management needs. We have been able to reduce the number of programs our company uses because of this. The software is also incredibly easy to navigate. The team at OfficeTools is great if we ever have an issue that we can not resolve ourselves or with the online support.

Cons

The only con we have found with this software is with some of the reports we want to see, it doesn't appear the program can produce. Luckily, there are workarounds for this.

Elaine S.
  • Industry: Accounting

This software is easy to use, easy to train others on.

Reviewed on 23/10/2017

It serves so many purposes for our CPA firm, and all in one package. It has been our bible for over 8 years.

Pros

The software is intuitive & handles so many functions necessary to the CPA profession: time sheets, project management, document management, billing, schedules, QB sync, etc. And we use it all.

Cons

Occasionally we have glitches when a new update comes out, but the OT tech team is very responsive.

T. marshall R.
  • Industry: Accounting

Workflow that works for us!

Reviewed on 12/12/2018

Excellent -- we rely on it to keep our systems working. It offers a lot of functionality including communication among the office and ease of retrieving prior information.

Pros

We appreciate the ability to have one software that provides so much utility -- Contact info, Notes, Documents, Projects, Calls, etc

Cons

There is a learning curve on how to use the software fully. And the reports are a bit difficult to decipher.

Jessica R.
  • Industry: Accounting

Great product and a necessity for firm efficiency

Reviewed on 17/10/2017

Productivity reports and being able to track time to a project with comparability

Pros

Our firm really enjoys the time and billing function that is integrated with the workflow. These two imperative parts to practice management are seamlessly blended in OfficeTools eliminating the need for two systems. We love the reporting options and the ability to use parameters to obtain the information we need without any legwork.

Cons

In order to use all the functions properly, you would need a full time staffer dedicated to office tools.

Marlene D.

Office Tools Pros and Cons

Reviewed on 23/10/2018

Being introduced to a new software always feels intimidating, but it is fairly easy to use and get the hang of. If I ever have questions, someone at Office Tools will answer my question(s) and explain to me what the best/easiest option would be.

Pros

I appreciate that everything is in one spot. Office Tools allows us has client information/documents, billing, calendar, project management and more all in one area which makes it easier than going back and forth between different software.

Cons

I wish that it would be a little bit easier to run reports. It would be nice if Office Tools had had more options to filter our data while running these reports, but it is still a nice feature that they provide.

Karla C.

OT is awesome

Reviewed on 05/10/2018

Having a "full service" practice management system has saved us so much time. Time entry and billing is awesome, as well as tracking files. It's our daily goto system

Pros

The ease of use and the functionality it brings to our office is fantastic. Customer support is great too.

Cons

Wish the client contact page had an important notes section for critical information.

Patricia J.

OFFICE TOOLS - ACCOUNTING OFFICE

Reviewed on 02/10/2018

I'VE HAD A VERY POSITIVE EXPERIENCE WITH OFFICE TOOLS AS STATED ABOVE, I CAN DO MULTIPLE THINGS WITHIN THE SAME APPLICATION. IT MAKES FOR AN EASIER WORK DAY AND THE ENTIRE STAFF CAN ALWAYS FIND WHAT THEY ARE LOOKING FOR WITH THE LEAST AMOUNT OF FRUSTRATION.

Pros

THERE ARE MULTIPLE FEATURES: SCHEDULING, CLIENT INFORMATION, TIME SHEETS AND HOUSING SCANNED DOCUMENTS.

Cons

THERE WASN'T REALLY ANYTHING I DIDN'T LIKE ABOUT THE SOFTWARE. IT WAS MORE THE MANNER IN WHICH IS WAS BEING USED IN THE OFFICE WHERE I WORK.

Dean H.

Very good customer support. They need to add features to improve the usability of the program.

Reviewed on 23/10/2017

Pros

Task management and CRM functions. Customized reporting is also easy to use. I like being able to email invoicing but the program need a default AP email feature.

Cons

Billing process could be improved. System needs some minor features to make it easier to use. Like adding an AP default email address, etc.

David S.
  • Industry: Accounting

I like having our document imaging and billing all in the same client file

Reviewed on 23/10/2017

ease of use. consolidation of office procedures that used to be handled by at least 2 pieces of software

Pros

I like having our document imaging and billing all in the same client file. The drag and drop features are great

Cons

I wish we could drag and drop the appts within the external calendar view. Encrypted or some time of security for the imaged docs would be good. The report "Writing" features could be enhanced. There are some reports that I use which are difficult to produce

Kristin K.

This is our project management system

Reviewed on 17/10/2017

Pros

Ease of use and the reports are great. You can customize it to your particular needs. We use it for timekeeping and billing.

Cons

Sometimes have to wait for support as we are in NY and they are in California. I use Demandforce for marketing and coordinating the 3 of us was difficult.

Great tool

Reviewed on 17/10/2017

Pros

Works great and is very easy to use even for team members that are technology challenged. Tech support is amazing so quick to reply and great!

Cons

Wish it connected to other accounting tools, we use lots of applications and it doesn't work with any other application

Kevin P.

Great program for keeping track of ALL things

Reviewed on 27/10/2017

The ability to keep track of clients and where their files are and how the projects are progressing.

Pros

This is the best program that I have seen to keep track of billing, projects, client calls, to do lists, and much more. Everything is easily found and gotten to.

Kassandra S.

Nothing Less than Incredible

Reviewed on 04/10/2018

Keep in mind, I'm new to the program.....but this is an exceptional program to have if your looking for simplicity and accuracy. 10 out of 10!

Pros

Hands down I loved the Ease and simplicity of the program. It is VERY VERY USER FRIENDLY!! Very self explanatory. There really isn't anything or any single feature that you would use and not know how to use. (If that makes any sense)

Cons

I don't like the document manager and how all documents save are all single line items. I wish there were ways or accumulating statements by year/month etc. Would be nice to have less in that are to deal with. If I want to see a bill that was paid last year, I have to go through all of the items I can't go directly to a folder that has all of 2017's bills for that specific vendor. Yes, there is a category section and year section, but still, you have to go through multiple documents to get to the one you want.

Priddle-luck, S.
  • Industry: Accounting

We like the functionality of the software - everything is in one place

Reviewed on 18/10/2017

Improves workflow.

Pros

The interface between it and quickbooks. The layout is good. The search function is good. The project management work flow is good, it just took us a while to tweak it to how we like it.

Cons

The reports are a little cumbersome and difficult to find what you need. The work list at the bottom, it would be better if is could be a sidebar like the client list. The support is not very good, you call and you have to make an appointment. I would prefer if I could have instant support.

Cheryl R.

Task and Billing Software

Reviewed on 05/05/2020

Pros

We like that when you set up a task you can complete your portion and then assign it to the next person. You have the ability to track the project without having to have it clutter up your to do list.

Cons

Tracking time to a project could be easier. The mobile app is not as easy as I had hoped to use. The font size is very small and can't be adjusted.

Reviewed on 11/09/2018

Pros

Ease of use and links to Lacerte software

Cons

The client portal doesn't equal the ease of use that ShareFile offers

Alex K.
  • Industry: Accounting

Very capable, helps with office management

Reviewed on 17/10/2017

All inclusive office management program.

Pros

The workflow of the program and how everything can be done in one program. The billing section was easy to use

Cons

Portal email was buggy, some features were not working as well, customer service response was slow at times

James M.

Loved it now Hate Abacus

Reviewed on 05/10/2018

It is costing me time and money to dispute with them.

Pros

good across the board time billing and project managment

Cons

Abacus, software declined, they called and got new credit card and then our costs went up by four times the rate we were paying without notice. I have a dispute and they would not talk to me about it. I have a dispute into their legal department. I also put in a dispute with my credit card to stop charges as they did not let us know the charges would be more with the new company. If they don't resolve I will go somewhere else even if it cost more. I am very very upset. I would recommend you find another software.