Showing 124 reviews of 113

Invoice Ninja

Open-source invoice, expense & task management platform

4.8 /5 (113 reviews) Write a Review!

Showing 124 reviews of 113
Tom D.

Excellent software

Reviewed on 12/12/2020

Pros

I was able to spin this software up within minutes and begin invoicing immediately.
Software is highly customizable.
Appreciate the open-source nature

Cons

Australian reporting and integration is where it lacks, and I understand it is hard to integrate with everything but it would be a "nice to have".

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for your fantastic review! We appreciate you being a part of the Invoice Ninja community!

Yasien S.
  • Industry: Design

A Happy'ish Invoice Ninja Client

Reviewed on 29/02/2020

I would like to see the clients phone number on the main Client screen.
Some more updated youtube videos will be appreciated.

Pros

Invoice Ninja is easy to use and support has been very impressive when needed. I like that I can almost forget to do invoicing because it is done for you, especially recurring invoicing. It would be nice if statements could be sent out automatically on all overdue accounts.

Cons

I cannot always tell if clients have Viewed their invoices. Syncing with phone app not reliable for android. Proposals need some work. I am using Plutio.com for my proposals and digital signatures. The proposal sections look dated. More templates and a community that can share temples.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for your lovely review & great feedback/input! We'll definitely take your input into consideration as we release future updates!

John M.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Go Global with Invoice Ninja

Reviewed on 27/11/2019

Global Billing
Single Payment gateway.
Multiple users worldwide.

Pros

Hi.,

We have customers worldwide and we sell our subscription service to the customers for the shipping portal freightmarket.com

Invoice ninja has helped us to expand globally by billing clients in multiple currency using a single payment gateway.
Highly recomended for business trading worldwide

Cons

Simple to use and easy to understand. If you cant use Invoice ninja, you shouldnt be in business.
Cheap pricing

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you very much for your great review, we're thrilled you love our platform!

John S.
  • Industry: Information Services

Invoice Ninja is professional, reliable and cost effective

Reviewed on 15/06/2020

We wanted a way to configure recurring billing, the solution must integrate with Stripe and QuickBooks. Invoice Ninja gets the job done.

Pros

We are able to self-host Invoice Ninja on our cpanel website using Softaculous, other panels supported by Softaculous will also work.

Cons

Some functions aren't intuitive. For example importing takes some work. On the plus side forum support provided by the developer is excellent.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Great review! Thank you for your fantastic feedback!

Aslam C.

Invoice Ninja - Invoicing Made Easy

Reviewed on 20/12/2019

- Been over a year that I am using the software had no issues.
- Other than connectivity issue with hosting provider.
- Forums for assistance and help from others

Pros

- Easy of use
- Customization of the software
- Integration to payment gateways
- Automatic Invoice Reminders

Cons

- No inventory option would be nice
- Additional Columns to be added for customization
- Mobile tutorials for users

Response from InvoiceNinja

Awesome review, thank you very much for taking the time to post your feedback! It's appreciated!

Kenric B.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Awesome software for a small business

Reviewed on 05/04/2020

This is a helpful way for me to manage my company's invoices especially on the go. It is perfect for my self ran business.

Pros

Easy to setup and use out of the box. Lots of information if you need help. Can create multiple companies and multiple users.

Cons

The invoice preview wasn't working for me by default. I had to download every invoice to just see what I was sending. I googled a small and simple fix. I just had to disable a setting and previews worked as expected.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for your great review! We appreciate your kind words and having you on board, thank you! If you have any questions, we're at your service!

Tyler W.
  • Industry: Computer Networking

it remembers for me

Reviewed on 26/12/2020

prior to invoice ninja, I was trying to keep track of what people owed me and when in a spreadsheet and in my head which resulted in some getting really long free trials. this has completely eliminated that mess and made is supper simple for both me and my clients

Pros

its simple to use has helpful info for linking online payment processors to it, very user friendly on the customer's end

Cons

you can not link one person to multiple companies but I think they are fixing this in V5 so it will soon be a none issue

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for your great review & support!

Jason W.
  • Industry: Building Materials

Has vastly improved my invoicing process and made easy what was once an arduous task.

Reviewed on 31/10/2017

Pros

This software is so easy to use, but is packed with features! Everything gets calculated automatically, and all of my clients' information is stored in one place. Probably the most valuable feature for me is the automatic email reminders, since some clients forget to pay me on time. I never have to go back and figure out who's paid me and who hasn't, since Invoice Ninja tracks this for me. I can even see who has Viewed my invoices, which is very helpful.

Cons

1. I think recurring invoices can be improved. Ideally, payments would automatically be drafted at each interval, rather than emailing an invoice for client to pay. Also, I'd like a better way to automatically display the correct service date range for quarterly invoices when the recurring invoices are generated. For annual invoices, I can use the year variable which would change each year, but for custom date ranges every quarter I haven't figured out an automatic method. I just change the date range manually before the next invoice is sent.

2. Although data can be exported, tax information is not. It would be VERY helpful to have sales tax info exported as well, instead of total invoice amounts. Currently, I have to look at each invoice individually each quarter when filing state sales tax returns. That is the only way I can determine pre-tax revenue amounts.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for your very kind review! Please email us and we'll help you setup auto-billing so your invoices are automatically paid. When editing a recurring invoice if you click the question mark next to the frequency select you'll see some more help. Invoice item taxes have been added to the export in our latest release.

Mike S.

Outstanding software, easy to use, with amazing support.

Reviewed on 30/04/2018

Pros

Invoice Ninja is extremely easy to use, which is their main point. But that ease of use doesn't mean it doesn't have powerful features. There's plenty of functionality for freelancers such as myself to make getting paid a snap.

The developers are also a top-notch group. Any time I've had an issue or a question, they're always quick to either fix a bug or point out exactly what I need to do to solve a problem. You don't get that from larger shops that have a bunch first-tier support people following a script. Having a developer team that communicates efficiently with the user base makes all the difference in the world.

From an administrative standpoint, I could probably run it on a toaster as long as I had enough space for my database. If you choose to go the self-hosted route, there's no need for high-end VPS solutions. A single core with a gig of ram and some storage is more than enough to get you up and running.

Cons

If I had to pick something to gripe about, it would be that the setup process for self-hosted can be a bit finnicky for beginners. But once you get the hang of it, it's really not that bad. Setting up my own deployment has helped me learn a lot about Linux administration, so it's a win in the end.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Wow! Great review! "Outstanding software, easy to use, with amazing support." this says it all! Thank you for much for your kind words and support!

Laura K.

Extremely easy to use, very clear and intuitive

Reviewed on 10/10/2017

I think the toggle menu on the right (displaying the latest invoices) is not necessary, so I just keep it closed.

Pros

I operate a small freelance business, and Invoice Ninja is perfect for my needs. I have no accounting/bookkeeping experience or knowledge, and I find that with Invoice Ninja, I can do everything I need to invoice my clients and get paid online very easily and quickly.
Customer support is beyond anything I've seen before. When I've had questions or issues in the past, I've sent an email and received a response almost instantly.
The free version is very suitable for my needs, and they don't hassle me to upgrade. It really is free.
My clients are very happy with the system. It makes receiving/paying invoices and receiving receipts very easy for them too.
I also really like the fact that the invoices look good, without me having to do anything really. I'm a writer - not a bookkeeper, not a software programmer, and not a graphic designer. Invoice Ninja is a good solution that doesn't demand any special knowledge or effort from me. From my poitn of view, that's probably its strongest point.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a detailed review, we really appreciate it!

Brandon B.

The Best Invoicing Program Out There!

Reviewed on 04/07/2019

Pros

Everything! This software is so easy to use and has provided me with effortless invoicing to my clients. I don't have a big business so having a free invoicing program that makes me look good is really awesome!

Cons

Honestly have nothing bad to say about InvoiceNinja

Response from InvoiceNinja

You're great! Thank you very much for taking the time to wrote your kind review, we appreciate it very much!

Invoice and the team running it are amazing!

Reviewed on 19/10/2017

Fast and intuitive, allow me to manage my invoices, quote, recurring from one interface.

Pros

Nice UI/UX, really impressive on how easy it is to manage your business with that.
I also love the buy buttons, that allow to turn any web page in a professional shop.

Cons

I'm also using the open source version of it, and the optimization is still a bit misterious, I have a bit of troubles to make it as fast as the online version.
But I'll figure it out :)

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for your very kind review! Feel free to email us and we'll help you optimize your install. We'll also try to add clearer instructions in the docs.

Brad M.
  • Industry: Media Production

Self-hosted option has incredible features - more than most invoice/project software in the...

Reviewed on 02/05/2018

Pros

- Client portal
- Invoice customisation
- Clean, user-friendly design
- Self-hosting option
- Low price
- No monthly cost for self-hosting
- No restrictions apart from white-label logo removal
- Loads of settings for invoices, quotes, clients and payments
- Support for accepting multiple payment gateways for invoice payments and support for payment gateway fees
- Ability to setup recurring invoices
- Very comprehensive invoice/quote auto-emailing system

Cons

- Currently no support for Dropbox or file sharing system
- PHP 7 and Lavarel can be tricky for setting up self-hosting server
- Currently no ability to customise admin area with own logo/branding
- Mobile layout is a bit clunky and could have better navigation
- No calendar or planning functionality - would be nice to have some Gaant Chart or milestone planning functionality that ties in with tasks

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for your great review! We are just now relaunching our mobile apps, they're amazing, please reach out to us if you would like early access. Also, we are launching a new ticketing system that works with teams, this may be a great solution for you based on your comments.

Thank you again, please let us know if we can assist any any way!

Margaret A.

Invoices with my branding and ability to accept payment with Stripe

Reviewed on 18/07/2017

Pros

I went with the hosted paid version, which allows me to include my logo and custom number my invoices. I can keep a simple product list for filling in my invoices, and accept payments with Stripe. Clients have had no problem paying their invoices since I started in January 2017.

Cons

I wish it accepted both Stripe and PayPal, but I haven't figured that out. Occasionally it hangs for a bit after creating a new client but doesnt freeze anywhere else. The reports are useful, but the Tax Rate one doesn't include the client's name, only invoice numbers and from what I can tell it is in first name order when I look the numbers up.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thanks for your review! Feel free to email us if you'd like help setting up PayPal along with Stripe or if you experience any software issues. We'll make sure to add the client name to the tax report in our next release.

This software is amazing and is able to handle simple and complex invoicing and project needs

Reviewed on 10/04/2018

The open source software allows me to customize the application that suits me and fits around my business.

Pros

Ease of use. Feature-rich functionalities. Able to handle a wide array of client details. Great community. Excellent customer service.

Cons

As I have been using this software over the past year I have yet to come across something that was problematic.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Fabulous review! Thank you very much for your kind words! In the future, if you think of any features of functionality that you would like to see built, let us know! Thanks again!

Steven E.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Slow Save Problem

Reviewed on 21/02/2020

Pros

Love this program it is so easy to use and love the different layouts to choose from

Cons

appears to slow down once you have entered a few quotes, i have tried to clear the cache, but this does not seem to help, i have also archived most of the quotes not used and deleted those that declined, but still the program tends to go slow...

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you very much for your great review & recommendations! We would be happy to assist with you cache/speed issues, please email us [email protected]

Thank you again!!!

Lance T.

Excellent product, we have been using it for several years for various projects

Reviewed on 04/10/2017

receive $

Pros

ease of integration with stripe.
Ability to add additional documents to payment page.
Multi User Ability
Multi Currency
Mutli Project within 1 acccount

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it's very much appreciated! Please be in touch if there are specific features you'd like to see added.

Gijs R.

Very simple but powerful peace of software for accounting/billing and some other useful...

Reviewed on 14/02/2019

Managing clients and creating invoices through the REST-API. We use toggl for time tracking and zammad for tickets and all are connected with the REST API.

Pros

- Its layout and the clear design
- It is fast und the UI is almost completely understandable without reading the Manuel
- Some very good additional features for tasks and projects

Cons

The documentation for self-hosting could be a bit better. But hosting at invoiceninja's servers is very affordable. So for users like me that are no linux-pros, it is a better option to have invoiceninja host it for one.

Tom L.

This is an outstanding and well though out open source invoicing system.

Reviewed on 01/03/2018

A simpler invoicing workflow for my company and an easier platform for our clients to pay us.

Pros

The system also supports two factor security via the TOTP protocol which is nice as it does not rely on third-party websites for logging in.

Being open source means we were able to look at the code base and verify that it was well put together and back end was not just cobbled together. Having this solid & rational code base has allowed them to provide fast support and feature enhancements. While I have not had any issues, I went through their forums and github and they have an outstanding response rate to both questions about the product and the code base.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for your review and for taking the time to review our codebase. We're constantly working to improve our code and features, if there's anything you'd like to see changed please let us know.

Johannes E.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Full-featured opensource app for invoicing

Reviewed on 23/09/2020

We use Invoice Ninja for our customer billing and are very satisfied with the experience.

Pros

Easy to use, self-explanatory user interface and data model, API for integration with existing business applications

Cons

Collective payments settling multiple invoices would be nice to have

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for your fabulous review & being part of the Invoice Ninja community! If you need any assistance, we're here to help!

Marco G.

I recently switched from a desktop software to Invoice Ninja and i am very Happy!

Reviewed on 29/03/2018

Pros

Platform-independent. Works on my Mac, PC, Tablet and Smartphone. Very helpful customer support. Excellent Software-quality.

Cons

Slightly confusing how invoicing of time-tracking tasks combined with fixed invoice positions works. But i am sure this will be figured out in a future release.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank your for your great review! Please email us and we'll work to figure out the fixed positions issue.

• Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Great for Invoicing and time tracking

Reviewed on 23/10/2019

Pros

The invoicing is simple and easy online and mobile
Time tracking is easy and I can charge different clients with different hourly rates

Cons

Can't really use it for accounting since expenses are not (fully) implemented

Response from InvoiceNinja

We're happy to have you on-board, thank you for your review!

Gustavo R.

I don't use all features InvoiceNinja has but I can only recommend it to any freelancer like...

Reviewed on 19/10/2017

Pros

It's fast, intuitive, full of features, highly customizable, and free! I tried several other free invoicing tools but InvoiceNinja beats all.

Cons

I use it in self hosted mode, adding a custom currency was not that easy in this version like in the previous.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for your review! If you email us the currency you're using we'd be happy to add it to the app.

Yannis S.
  • Industry: Design

This is a great invoicing software

Reviewed on 18/05/2017

I stopped using paper invoices and i have a clean view of my income.

Pros

Easy to use and very effective software. I use it for invoicing all my customers and it works great. It get updated very often and the support community is great.

Cons

The fact that you have to pay to have white label license in self hosted environment.
Some minor problems in invoice design.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for your very kind review! Feel free to email us if you'd like help perfecting your invoice design.

Devorah A.

Sending invoices to customers is now so easy.

Reviewed on 09/10/2017

I have an easy and efficient way to bill customers and track it. I highly recommend Invoice Ninja.

Pros

It is a program designed to make invoicing customers easy. It saves customer information, fast and efficient, customers can pay with a variety of credit cards and checking what invoices have been paid is a breeze. Customer service is a pleasure.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for your review and recommendation!