4.7
4.7
Terry L.
Industry: Photography

The latest version is great, major improvements and great for my business

Reviewed on 06/11/2017

It's on my Mac rather than being in the cloud.

Pros

There are online email companies but I always find them a bit awkward. I first tried Direct Mail years and years ago and it was okay and did a job but this year they have updated it which has made the software fantastic.

The email design is really easy and simple with some great free templates built in while still giving you flexibility should you need it to customer deeper. I've changed my current newsletter styles over to the new ones and it's given them a fresh new look and total compatibility no matter what device the emails are read upon.

Being able to delve into who has looked and even clicked is a real big plus point for managing my marketing and I can really target further contact by this response.

You can, of course, buy email credits from them or use your own email sending system. I personally use both, credit from them for my loyal customers and potential customer (the list is huge) through my own servers (it's cheaper for me this way).

Oh, and it also links with y database system - Daylite which helps keeps everything organised an on track.

Response from e3 Software

Thanks a million for the review, Terry! We are really glad that you are liking the new update.

I wanted to let you know that we added some great cloud features to Direct Mail a little while ago. You can now save your projects to the cloud, access them from any Mac, and even sync and collaborate with other users. More info is available at our website.

Thanks again!

Carrie H.
Industry: Entertainment

Direct Mail made me happier and swear less (and saved me money)

Reviewed on 20/04/2020

Direct Mail has meant it takes me about one fifth of the time to compose and send an email campaign (compared to MailChimp). The user interface means I'm more confident about writing emails because I don't end up fixated on all the fidgety formatting and targeting issues I had on MailChimp. I've probably increased the number of EDMs I've sent out by about 80% because of how easy it is to use Direct Mail. I've had a much better engagement rate from my lists, and I swear at the computer a whole lot less.

Pros

I switch to Direct Mail from MailChimp and have no regrets. I basically love everything and can't choose one.

I love the fact I can work on campaigns locally on my computer without being online and not in a browser. The lists and address management is simple yet agile. I've been able to integrate the sign up form on to my website very simply without needing a third party plugin.

The emails I send are irregular, - some months I might send thousands, and others none at all - so the pricing structure is ideal for my business model. I'd never be able to sign up to a program that was charging a monthly subscription fee.

Cons

It was a bit difficult to get in touch with customer support while I was figuring out the software, and it would be good if there was a community forum for users to exchange knowledge and tips. I ended up abandoning my original idea and using a workaround because it took too long to be able to contact customer support (I'm based in Melbourne, Australia, so the time zones don't easily match up).

Ray M.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Amazing

Reviewed on 20/09/2018

Great product. Great customer service!

Pros

It does everything I'd ask for in an email blast program -- localized software, easy to import, create groups, build templates, send out mail campaigns, collect online data, link with other software, etc.

Cons

The only one thing that I don't like about it is -- if I schedule a number of emails (over the course of the week) and new subscribers come in -- those new subscribers won't get my already-scheduled emails. Because of this, I can't schedule more than 1-2 days of emails.

Marty M.
Industry: Environmental Services

If you knoow what you're doing - DirectMail is the best

Reviewed on 26/06/2019

Having used a range of programs - DirectMail certainly gives you the most hands on experience. The biggest draw back is being app-based; while most competitors are all online - but this is what also provides the biggest advantage in terms of tools and functionality.

Pros

Control of the whole process - from HTML editing to subscriber management to design and spam testing - it's fun to work with.

Cons

No online tool. Reporting is limited, there aren't enough ways to compare and contrast. Very hard to export reports and data in bulk. Hard to get examples out as PDF / Image filles.

Response from e3 Software

Thanks a ton for your review, Marty! Much appreciated!

I wanted to mention that the latest version of Direct Mail includes expanded options for exporting report data and for exporting your messages as PDF files. You may want to update and take a look. Please reach out to us with any questions or feedback. Thanks!

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Jason W.
Industry: Financial Services

Beautiful App

Reviewed on 05/06/2019

It's helped me design beautiful looking email broadcasts, great design and content + the feedback reports post transmission are really terrific, showing how many clicks, how many opened, what email client the recipients are using, fantastic platform.

Pros

I bought Direct Mail years ago and it continues to impress me with its functionality, ease of use and clean look & feel. Really easy on the eyes in keeping with MacOS tradition, this app is simple enough for novices and has plenty of features for expert level users. Great alternative to MailChimp and other similar platforms.

Cons

I really can't say anything bad about the app to be perfectly honest...

Alan B.
Industry: Retail

Fairly intuitive and full featured.

Reviewed on 01/05/2018

ease of use all 'round

Pros

Works well with Mac.
Very quick and helpful support.
The website is full of useful tips and advice.

Cons

Can't edit source code when using builtin templates.
Only runs on Mac.
Some features undocumented.

Ignacio G.

Great

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 10/05/2018

Pros

Easy to send emails, tracking is great and the interface to build the email campaigns so much easier than other products.

Cons

The price is a bit high, but they give you 150 emails a month free to use as you like, so and they have a subscription by month or by email, so, plenty of choices either way.

Abbas A.

Excellent! Love it!

Reviewed on 19/01/2018

Saved me a lot of time on email marketing, can track the performance of the marketing and emails

Pros

Pretty much do a lot of things you would expect to be able to do using a marketing email tool. I have been suing it fot he past 3 years! Better then mailchimp. I would highly recommend this to anyone.

Bill R.

I've been using Direct Mail for many years, and every new release brings more and better features!

Reviewed on 29/01/2018

Pros

Intuitive yet powerful. It's so easy to create a message in .HTML, and simply point Direct Mail to the URL to render a mailing. The reports are easy to create and share - in a matter of seconds. Nothing cumbersome or problematic - it just simply works!

Kevin B.
Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Works Well- Simple and Straight Forward

Reviewed on 31/03/2020

Positive.

Pros

I really like this software because it allows me to send bulk emails as if they are coming personalized from me and not a marketing piece. This gives me a more personalized interaction with my clients and prospects.

Cons

Not sure about the domain authentication process. I don't really want to bother our IT guy to have him update the DNS records just for me to use this. I hope that my emails are being delivered properly.

Ryan V.

Amazing piece of software that keeps its promises

Reviewed on 17/04/2018

Pros

Ease of use, simplicity, import/export features, messages-addresses-reports always ready and visible at glance.

Cons

The only, minor issue, is that you always have to check the sender email. There are no other issues, as far as I can notice.

Ashley M.

Easy to use for first time users

Reviewed on 15/11/2016

I send out newsletters and have a Mac. This has been a really good system for a first time user. It is also cost effective since goes by how many people are subscribers.

Pros

Cons

Not that many creative options

Response from e3 Software

Thanks for the review, Ashley! We hope you get a chance to check out our latest update, Direct Mail 5.0. It packs a ton of new creative options and an expanded gallery of templates.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Ole S.
Industry: Music

Great program for managing email lists for mac users

Reviewed on 15/01/2021

Pros

Easy to use and a very good and fast support

Cons

Nothing, for me it has been the perfekt e-maillist administration program

Pascal G.
Industry: Publishing

Sending mails from an external database was easier before

Reviewed on 13/07/2018

Time

Pros

It is doing what I want. Connect to an external database, send mail via an externa provider. But things are not working so well. The thing is that data in database are evolving and, in the new version, I have to re-right the request to the database each time in different adress group coming from different database. Spam test is not working. Preferences ares sometime not kept, situation on the screen for exemple.

Cons

Again it does exactly what i want but less easier than previous version . Main point is database connection.

Response from e3 Software

Thanks for your review, Pascal. If you are having any trouble with importing, spam tests, or preferences, please contact our support team and they'll be happy to get things straightened out. Thanks!

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

John S.

Great Software but AWFUL management and support after

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 21/05/2018

Pros

One of the easiest and good looking mail sender on the Mac have used it for years. (not anymore though)

Cons

You have to pay them to send using your SMTP, which is fine, but as soon as you offend their very strict rules they disable the whole part of the sending process, meaning the softwares useless. Then thats where you find out the support is AWFUL, as it seems to me theres only 2 people that work there, they refuse to talk on phone, and despite promises when chased up, they don't answer emails. genuinely terrible.

Response from e3 Software

Thanks for your review, John. Sorry that you had a bad experience. We strive to provide excellent customer service (via email and live chat), and are grateful for the many five star customer service reviews we've received here and on other sites.

In order to maintain a high quality of service, we ask all of our customers to agree to an anti-spam policy that forbids the use of illegal or purchased email lists. If that policy is violated, we are happy to explain how to resolve the issue. However, we are not able to help customers who repeatedly harass and threaten our employees.

Stephen R.
Industry: Food & Beverages

Nearly Perfect

Reviewed on 03/08/2019

I have maintained various mailing lists and mailings over the years and DirectMail has always been the perfect tool for me. Now that I am retired and I only use the app to organize my monthly dinner parties, it has scaled down nicely and is still the perfect tool.

Pros

Easy organization makes easy to maintain compliance with all laws and common decency.

Cons

It doesn't bend to my personal case use, but I could hardly expect it to.

Doug J.
Industry: Management Consulting
Company size: Self Employed

Tracking Readership for a small business

Reviewed on 21/08/2019

As I learn all its features I like it more and more

Pros

Once I had figured it out, with some help from helpful 'Help' people at Directmail, it has been extremely useful to me in doing was email broadcasts to my client and subscriber base, something I could to do with my usual email software, [Mac]Mail.

Works very well on my Mac.

I sue the subscriber option which allowed me to install the software on my isp's server. cost effective and looks to my readers as coming directly form me.

Cons

The reporting could be improved(?) if we could be sure the receiver has actually 'opened' the email, or merely saw the summary on their device, especially the case for people who receive the email on there mobile device.

I haven't figured out how file management works on the system yet.

Craig P.

Excellent application. Fairly easy to use. Good interface design.

Reviewed on 23/01/2018

Pros

Best means (by which users are honored in terms of their time for messaging) to communicate with various constituents.

Cons

Often have to retype names of messages as the app updates indiscriminately. Would love to be able to stop sending, then start again without starting at the beginning of the mailing list.

Sid L.

I love using this program

Reviewed on 15/03/2018

Pros

I love using this program. But best of all, when my computer damaged a key file, I sent it to Direct Mail. They sent an auto email saying it would be repaired in 24 hours. They sent the file back in two hours and it has worked perfectly ever sense. I highly recommend this program and company.

Cons

I would love this program to some how tie into the Outlook database so I only have 'one' set of contacts.

Gianni C.
Industry: Oil & Energy

Great value for a non-professional user

Reviewed on 14/12/2018

I have used DM for Mac for several years and found it truly powerful and complete. Even the novice user will appreciate powerful yet easy to use features such as automatic unsubscribes, bounces or complaints, helping you keep your mailing list clean and well-managed. Hundreds of templates make sure you can find the format that's right for you and then customize with graphics, logo, etc.

Pros

Ease of use, editor, templates, address manager

Cons

I would like an option to compare performance of weekly newsletter

Lloyd S.
Industry: Design

Great Mail Manager at a great price

Reviewed on 06/08/2018

Been using it for years and never a problem. Clean, easy interface. Can handle your emails through your own servers or theirs--software is free to use if you use their servers. If you have a small list to manage, that is even free. They are constantly updating to software.

Pros

Easy to use, works well, they continually update. Software is free if you use their servers, and they have reasonable pricing tiers.

Cons

Nothing really. It works well, just as advertised

Bob R.

Outstanding e-mail marketing app

Reviewed on 15/02/2018

Pros

Consistently improving and enhancing the application. Great value for the money. Outstanding customer support. Excellent selection of easily, editable templates.

Cons

Occassionally requires reading the user guide to get a handle on some of the functionality. Not so much a con as operator laziness.

Ricardo C.

Wonderful piece of software

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 18/07/2018

Pros

I love the fact that i can use my private server to send emails from my company, and the ability to track my emails

Cons

I wish you could disable the bottom of the message that says "this email is sent using directmail for mac"

Shann S.
Company size: Self Employed

Love it and it's easy!!!!

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 20/01/2019

Pros

everything so easy to use....learned it in no time

Cons

I can't think of anything I love this software!

Xavier H.

I used this mailing tools since 5 years and it's great...

Reviewed on 21/03/2018

Pros

Customization of the templates, very intuitive and easy to use.
The reports are complete and it's very important to compare data VS SMS campaign results.

Cons

Sometimes we have OPT-In list but recipients clicked on Spam Complaints.
We use filters to be sure that recipients are OK