Clockify

4.7 (1,594)
The most popular free time tracker and timesheet for teams

(1,594)

Ashley K.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Clockify is the Best Time Tracking Solution for Freelancers

Reviewed on 18/05/2021

I use Clockify every day in my freelance life to manage the time I spent on my client's projects. It's the one piece of software that has stayed constant for me across my freelance life, from writing, editing, and moderating content online.

Pros

Clockify makes it easy to keep track of multiple clients and the tasks that fall under those projects. As a freelancer with several different clients, Clockify's expense-tracking categories was the only solution that made sense.

Cons

I am an early adopter and browser integration was a problem, but the Clockify developer team has stepped this up with better support.

Harel M.

Easy to use time tracker

Reviewed on 13/08/2020

For our uses, the app is a good balance between free to use a multi-functionality system.
Though, even in free plan, some improvements would be good :).

Pros

The chrome extension makes life easier! Also, the reports generated from the web app are helpful with analyzing time consuming tasks.

Cons

The mobile app wasn't always synchronized with the web app. An option to add users that cannot edit time tracking is missing (at least in free plan) - we use it to track working hours for a client and want to collaborate with them. Location based tracking would be apperciated.

Asana and Redbooth

Reasons for Choosing Clockify

Google Docs was used manually to enter time tracking; it was time-consuming task by itself. Also it was missing reporting and simplicity offered by Clockify.

Google Docs

Reasons for Switching to Clockify

As I said, it offered good functionality with no cost added. The UI is easy to use, the web extension is integrated with many systems, so you don't have to enter the task you're working on - it's done for you.
Karie P.

Easily track and report on all your time

Reviewed on 24/09/2019

I track billable hours for multiple client projects, breaking down tasks to get the best sense of where I spend my time. For my flat-fee retainer clients, this allows me to see where my time is going to make sure my time is best spend and those arrangements are profitable. For my hourly-billed clients, this lets me accurately bill clients for time spent on their projects.

Pros

So easy to use! I have it bookmarked so I can quickly start time tracking new tasks - whether that's billable time, on non-billable time. I like that I can set up specific tasks but also include notes with specific time entries.

Cons

Being free to use, there is absolutely nothing I can complain about! I'm able to do everything I need to track and report my time.

QuickBooks Time

Reasons for Choosing Clockify

I first tried TSheets because it has a direct integration to QuickBooks for billing, but I found Clockify to be a better user experience.

QuickBooks Time
Zack W.

A very easy to use time tracker to cover many projects as a freelancer

Reviewed on 24/09/2019

I previously used Toggl, which I like just fine, but was a bit limited on the free version, and I didn't like the interface that much. I tried Clockify just to see how it would go, and so far I like it and am sticking with it for the near future.

Pros

The interface is nice, the reports get me what I need for invoicing. I can tag any recorded time as billable or not billable and even enter the dollar amount.
I tag entries for specific clients or types of work with various colors which helps differentiate entries.
The weekly emailed report helps me make sure my time is on point.

Cons

I didn't find the Windows desktop tool all that helpful, I just use the web interface.
It's not as streamlined to create a new project or client easily. I have to type a project name (which doesn't exist) then I can create it on the fly, but with no details such as setting the color or client. So I have to go to another part of the interface, track down this new project so I can set the client and color, etc. I wish I could set up all the details about project and client directly from the time-entry page and not have to go around the interface to finish adjusting it.

I don't really care for tracking precise start and stop times separately. Each time I have to stop and start a particular project time, it creates another entry. I prefer a generic single timer that accumulates, rather than a bunch of sub-time-entries like 10:34-10:45, 11:02-11:18, 12:50-1:42. This doesn't do much for me. I just want a single timer that says I worked 3.4 hours or whatever. But this is pretty minor thing. I can ignore all the sub-entries for the most part. But where this gets ugly is when I want to come back and enter time manually. If I need to adjust times, it's nearly impossible because I don't want to create time entries that overlap with existing entries. There is a lot of fudging numbers around so I can line up my projects.

Response from Clockify

Thank you for the review Zack.

When you enable the group similar time entries in your profile settings all your subentries will be grouped into one as long as they share the same description project and tag.

Graciela B.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great User Friendly Tool for Small Teams and Businesses

Reviewed on 24/01/2020

I started utilizing Clockify to add some clarity to the work of my company's small 3-person UX team. We wanted more insight into how we were utilizing our time. We work across products so we set up each product as a client, each project as a project within the client, and then create tasks to determine how much time we spent on design, research, meetings, etc. per project. Additionally, we've added tags for greater specificity within some of those tasks. This allows us to see a wide variety of information such as how many projects we've worked on in a given period, how long we spent in meetings vs. designing during a certain quarter, which products demand the most of our attention, etc.

Pros

I love that the software is free, lightweight, and user friendly. I appreciate the multi-faceted organization of having clients, projects, tasks, tags, etc. It's easy to understand and allows for flexibility within the product setup. Additionally, the easy to access reports allow for quick review of time tracking data without having to export to another format.

Cons

I have no major complaints with the product. I do wish that I could have live time tracking on while logging previous tasks, but it hasn't proven to be a large issue.

Time Tracker and Jira

Reasons for Switching to Clockify

The simple, easy to use interface and free version made Clockify the best choice by far!

• Customer Support Software

Clockify saves me time. lol.

Reviewed on 09/10/2019

We found it took a while to document time with other systems. It's intuitive with Clockify.

Pros

Clockify allows us to see how our time is managed, and it takes us a few minutes to document all of our time a week. Other systems, it tooks us a couple of hours a week to document. Clockify has all the features we need.

Cons

There used to be a bug on the app that deleted some users' data. I'm glad they fixed the desktop app, but the web app has always worked for us.

Forecast 5, Harvest, and Teamwork

cost / time efficiency

Harvest

Reasons for Switching to Clockify

Clockify had some great reviews, and we were able to set up everything we needed to test on a trial. It met our needs, and the team really grabbed onto it as it was faster / easier to use.

Easy to use, wish it was more customizable

Reviewed on 29/05/2019

We love using Clockify, it has really opened our eyes to what staff members are spending time on. It helps us plan projects better and speeds up invoicing work. We've learned a lot using the Reports about which tasks take a lot of time and have sinced tweaked some internal processes. We keep adding more users and it's been seamless getting everyone to use it.

Pros

It's really quick to get users up and running. Clockify has definitely focused on usability and has a really small learning curve. I love the reporting features, we were able to get rid of tedious spreadsheets and just use Clockify to support our invoicing needs. Its great to be able to export all the data for further analysis in Excel, although we are finding we don't need to do that most of the time because Reports are so straightforward.

Cons

It is ideally used for project basis work but I needed something to track ongoing types of work being done so it was a little tricky to figure out the setup. You can only have one client per project so I had to use tags for our client names. I wish you could rename fields or create custom fields. It worked out ok but doesn't exactly fit my use case.

Toggl Track

Reasons for Switching to Clockify

Clockify offered more features in their free version such as unlimited users on a team.
Boaz K.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

• Customer Support Software

One of the best time tracking solution out there.

Reviewed on 13/05/2019

Excel based time tracking required a lot of manual work and quite honestly it was quite ancient, we wanted an easy to use interface available to all, accessible anywhere any time !! Clockify was that tool.

Pros

I was in search of an easy to use time tracking solution, being a project manager it is quite critical to know where my team spends most of their time and analyze this data to drive efficiencies and make better decisions in general.

Clockify wins in many aspects here, I will list them out below.

1) Easy to use - it is easily accessible using a web browser and mobile,
2) Flexible - one can track time using the timer or chose to update it at the end of the day, also allows editing.
3) Fantastic individual & Admin dashboards.
4) Project-specific filtering.
5) Fantastic reporting capabilities.

Cons

I don't really see any cons here that the paid version can't fix.

Smartsheet and Trello

Reasons for Switching to Clockify

It was the most user-friendly and met all our requirements.
Evangela R.

• Customer Support Software

Clockify is a useful time tracker to monitor the day to day tasks.

Reviewed on 13/04/2019

Pros

Clockify can be downloaded for free. This can be used to record the time taken for a task and the time can also be entered manually. This one platform where you can monitor the time taken for other team members to finish the task, and if there are delays on the project the reasons can be monitored and discussed. Graphical representation of the time taken for each task will be presented this can be used to check the productivity for each project and it can be through a continuous improvement phase.This graphical representation can be easily exported in to an excel sheet where it is easy to make business decisions through this productivity Information. It also has Filtering Options to Filter the Options for a specific Project or for a specific month, it can be done easily through Clockify. You can easily edit and also review the time entries that are made. It can be also used through a Mobile app as well as through a PC

Cons

It is better if there can be more Integration Options with this tool and more improved Features as in Commenting Options and Communicating abilities within the Team. So it makes it improve the Productivity.

Great tracker for project time

Reviewed on 24/04/2020

Easy to use time tracking tool that I use for all client projects now.

Pros

The product makes it easy to set up projects and set up tasks within each project for tracking. It also integrates with Google Chrome, so you don't have to go into the Clockify website every time to start tracking time.

Cons

It can sometimes get visually confusing when it comes to tracking certain project tasks. Your titling of tasks plays a key role.

Jay G.
  • Industry: Design

Fantastic TimeClock Software for any business

Reviewed on 01/07/2021

Well, my overall experience would be that I'm totally satisfied and would purchase again if I had to. Give them a try. This software is definitely moving you into the digital age which is fantastic. My employees love it because it's so simple and doesn't take up their time clocking in and out by logging into a system. They just scan their faces push a button and done.

Pros

Integrates with technology effortlessly. This company is always upgrading and staying innovative. If you don't pay attention to detail, you could easily pass up this little diamond. This software has proven time and time again to work just as well as some of the big-name products out there. Works a little better in my own opinion. Timesheets, reports, facial scans, the whole nine-man! Geesh! There is so much more to this software that I haven't even tapped into yet. One would be the Geographic logging in feature...

Cons

Well, I have none at the moment. The software was easy enough to implement. When I had questions, support was awesome and on top of the stuff. They were very knowledgeable about their software and how to make it work for me and my business.

Tomas S.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

The best app to mesure your most important investment: your time

Reviewed on 20/01/2020

Overall, Clockify has help me and my team to keep better track of how we use your time. I when from thinking I didn't have time for anything to being using the extra time I actually had in things that I love.

If you're not using Clockify already, give it a go. I'm sure you'll not be disappointed

Pros

What I love most about Clockify is that you can have on any device. It can be access from your phone, tablet or PC, with the information you put in sync thanks to the use of the cloud.

It simple interface allows you to write the task your executing and them forget about the app until its time to write another one. And its dashboard let's you track the the way your investing your time in a very intuitive manner, making sure you get a graphical description on how your time is divided among your projects during the days of the week

Cons

The only problem that I still have to Clockify is that the tags functionality is not display in colors the same way than the projects. This can be bypass by making some things like eating a project, although it would be nice to have the option in the dashboard tab.

Chris M.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Clockify

Reviewed on 26/04/2019

I have been using Clockify for a long time now and love that it is readily available and easy to track my times for each client that I interact with. Being able to track my hours so that I can achieve my goals in a clear concise manner is also a huge benefit of using this software.

Pros

Clockify is free and is able to keep track of the times for each client that comes into my office. It is great for keeping me accountable for my billing so that I can achieve my goals on time. You can use Clockify on several devices and makes it easy to see your information clearly while on the go. It is extremely easy to use and is color coded so that I can identify each section effortlessly.

Cons

I cannot think of anything that I dislike about Clockify because it is easy to use and offers everything that I need for a small company.

Tony M.

• Customer Support Software

Great product that could be even better

Reviewed on 30/01/2019

We are happy to have been able to make the switch from Toggl to Clockify. However, the Clockify app still needs some work. We've reached out to the support team and in the early goings we found them to be prompt with responses as well as fixing some of the bugs we pointed out.

Since then, we haven't seen any more improvements based on what we have suggested (request #1260, for example). There are bugs that seem to really put a damper on the system and require much more time and effort from a user perspective.

Pros

Simple inerface, easy transition from Toggl

Cons

Feels clunky at times. Would much rather be able to use the tab key to navigate through entries rather than clicking everywhere.

Response from Clockify

Thanks for the feedback, Tony!

We'll definitely fix the reported bug. However, this bug seems to require some additional changes to be made on the Time Tracker page, so it will need to wait a while longer until then.

As for the suggestions, we launched the suggested Bulk Edit feature, and have in mind to improve using Clockify just by using the keyboard, but there are currently some more pressing issues and features to work on.

As for the ability to see more entries per page, we decided to keep the view at 50 entries per page for optimization sake. You're still able to see all of the entries at one when you export the report.

Kerri M.
  • Industry: Online Media

A game-changer for tracking remote work

Reviewed on 28/01/2020

Pros

There are two big pros to using Clockify as opposed to other apps. The first is that I can track on my phone--a few taps and I'm ready to get onto my work--but when doing my invoicing, I can pull the information up on my web browser and see the big picture.
The second is being able to categorize my work by both client and project--I can then see later how much time I've spent on x or y, and figure out how to become more efficient or based on hours paid out, justify a software upgrade to save me time.
Thanks, Clockify!

Cons

While I don't need this feature right now, I wish Clockify had a clock-in reminder feature, such as for when arriving on a work-site. When I was working a previous job with irregular hours, the clock-in reminder feature was amazing to ensure I was correctly tracking my hours!

Response from Clockify

Thanks so much for the kind words, Kerri!

Perhaps using the reminders in the Clockify browser extension could help you with reminding you to track the time (https://clockify.me/help/time-tracking/idle-detection-reminders#reminders)

Cheers!

Amy P.

• Customer Support Software

Great for time management!

Reviewed on 27/01/2020

It is fantastic, our entire company use it with ease and helps to track client profit/time and identifies where we need to make operational changes to increase ROI.

Pros

Its ease of use is really a pro for this software, the fact it can be used online or you can download a widget means tracking time doesn't take time.

Cons

We have to manually enter the tasks in which we are completing whilst using it

Ellen marie D.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

A Timer You'll Run Everyday

Reviewed on 04/06/2019

Overall, a really impressive web time tracker that any business or freelancer should use.

Pros

For the last few years of using Clockify, I realized one thing... there's no other time tracker on the web that I'd use. It's really simple to use, responsive, a surprising uptime, and a nice minimalist interface that looks clean and informative at the same time.

I use it for several clients especially because you can easily send them a report when needed, sort time clocked for EACH of the clients in your database PLUS, you can even change the rate for each client.

Cons

Paid features aren't exactly exciting. You get a lot of functionality with the free version already. I only upgraded since I have several clients.

Rafael S.

The best work companion

Reviewed on 07/10/2019

Overall, great. Clockify really helped and still helps me with managing my busy daily life.

Pros

— Really easy to use. Unlike most time tracking software, this one is built and centered around at most maybe 3 buttons, so I got started with it right away.
— Due to its simplicity, even the free trial gives you all the functionality you'd mostly need.
— Integration with Google Calendar. I am an active user of Google Calendar, and connecting Clockify to GCal through Zapier saved me valuable time every single day updating my daily schedule with Clockify entries. Works perfectly.
— Great reporting capability.

Cons

There's no particular con of the software, rather, I'd love to have a feature:
— Nested projects/tasks. I'm a software engineer, a freelancer, and a student. Oftentimes, each of my project s have many subprojects inside of them, each task has a set of subtasks that need to be accomplished and tracked. Having the possibility to subdivide a project into subprojects to tasks to subtasks and etc. would be great.

Grant E.

Great, free time tracking software

Reviewed on 24/01/2020

Clockify lets us track our teams hours with ease at an affordable price.

Pros

This software can do most of what's needed to track your team's hours. And unless you need the extra features, it's free!

Cons

At times, it's not as intuitive as other time-tracking softwares, but it usually can get the job done.

Sarah F.

Look no further

Reviewed on 24/09/2019

Clockify does exactly what I need it to in a simple and user-friendly format. I can track my time like a stopwatch, or enter my time after the fact. The reports pull in billable, and non-billable hours so I am confident when I bill my clients that I am presenting the most accurate information possible. It keeps me accountable and helps me feel confident that I have earned what I have earned and that I am worth the compensation. I worked in a large corporation where I had to track time for 10 years and never ever had something this straightforward. LOVE it.

Pros

It's simple, it's intuitive, it tracks time like I need it (as a stopwatch and as a time sheet), I can edit entries (which is helpful when I get a phone call that takes me off track), the reporting is clean and insightful, it fits my budget as a single person LLC startup without compromising anything. It's fantastic.

Cons

I can't really think of anything. It's like it was made for me.

Nicolò P.

Nice and easy timetracking software

Reviewed on 22/02/2020

Freelancers most likely are paid hourly so they need to count the hours. Even not freelancer may want to see how and where they spend their time.

Pros

I used to use it when I was a freelancer and recommended to my current company.
The free plan is kinda generous and better than the one in toggl, it has the "billable hour" feature for free where in toggl it is paid.

Cons

The client (at least for osx) was not perfect when i used it.
The "away detection" was buggy and was more likely to create problems than anything.
I know a friend that preferred the web version of the timer and used it over the desktop client, if I had to use it now i'd probably do the same.

Response from Clockify

Thank you for your feedback Nicolo!

I am sorry to hear you experienced some trouble with our Mac desktop app, please reach out to us at [email protected] and we'll be more than happy to look into the mentioned issue.

Henry R.
  • Industry: Graphic Design Software

Most Intuitive & Straight-forwarded Time Tracking App

Reviewed on 13/05/2019

Since I use clockify I've become more productive because I can analyze all my tracked activity with ease, in only a couple of minutes you can get a detailed overview (with a very complete filter system) of all the activity tracked in the last month. The most challenging thing about using Clockify is really building the habit to track everything you do; but the more you track, the more productive you become.

Pros

As a Product Designer, I love the fact that I can use this software daily to track my activities and not feel that I'm wasting any time organizing or studying the software to learn how it works, it's a clean and very intuitive software that I'm pretty sure anyone can use regarding of his/her knowledge or experience with clocking software.

Cons

The software really feels and looks "young" for me, although it does the job it doesn't feel like your using a high-end product because of the overall design and some small bugs like delays when selecting dropdowns, and others.

I wish they could also accept Paypal as a payment method, it's 2019.

• Customer Support Software

Not perfect, but gets the job done at a low cost!

Reviewed on 27/01/2020

Overall, it's been great! Honestly, want to keep using it because it's free!

Pros

1) It's free! (or at least it was when we started, my boss might have upgraded) 2) You can edit your entries! 3) You can see how much you've worked for the week!

Cons

The tags are kinda confusing and the ux/Ui is kinda confusing. The iphone app could be better too

Response from Clockify

Thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it!
If you have any other ideas in mind, feel free to fill in our feature feedback form: https://clockify.me/feedback

Cheers!

Danielle N.
  • Industry: Design

Great Free Tool for Tracking Time

Reviewed on 25/01/2021

Overall I've been loving my experience with Clockify. It's simple yet versatile and serves my needs. I generally charge my clients a flat fee per project or per month. One day I realized tracking the time spent per client or project might be a good idea. Then, I can see if the rate seems fair, or if certain tasks are taking longer than seems reasonable.

Pros

I like being able start a timer in one tab of my browser that runs in the background while I work. I also like having the option to manually add time worked if I was not running the timer. Being able to pause the timer to take a break and then resume the timer on the same task is very convenient. Clockify will keep track of the total time worked. If you need to, you can drill down to see the start and stop times for each session.
The reporting feature lets you choose from several common time intervals (this week, past two weeks, last month, etc.); but they also give you the flexibility to choose a custom range from a specific date to a specific date.

Cons

One thing has been annoying me about the Clockify interface. The field we can use for describing the specific task we're working on within a given project only displays the first 15 characters or so. If I have a few similar tasks, it's hard for me to tell them apart unless I put the distinctive keywords upfront.

Kristy H.

It's great!

Reviewed on 30/07/2019

It's been great. I have used other softwares that I paid a significant amount of money for. Clockify has MORE functionality and is easier to use than any of those others. My team likes it because of it's ease of use.

Pros

Simple and easy to use. It's nice to have a free software that integrates with my task manager too.

Cons

I need to figure out how to track by client when it's integrated with my task manager. Totally something I just need to take time to research.

QuickBooks Online Advanced, Toggl Track, and Timesheets.com