Argos Reporting Software

Enterprise-level reporting tools for colleges & universities

4.5 /5 (68 reviews) Write a Review!
4.5
4.5
4.2
4.2
4.6

A bit frustrating as a second-level user in an organization, but provides valuable information!

Reviewed on 19/06/2018

This software provides real-time access to data and statistics and provides a lot of flexibility in reporting options, so that you can get the information in a format that works for your needs!

Pros

I have use this software as a part of my Lead Support role at Lansing Community College. It is very handy to have access to information that pulled real-time from our college's student information system, and it has a LOT of flexibility in the way that you can set up and run reports to meet your statistical needs.

Cons

I am a second-level user in the fact that I can run reports, but I do not have administrative access to the software. For me, it tends to get a bit frustrating when I want more advanced information and I have to get a response from elsewhere in the organization to create a report that fits my needs. I don't think this software is particularly intuitive either. I am really adept at learning software, so I caught on quickly, but I often find myself training other people in our office, especially at ways to manipulate the reports to generate the information that you want. It sometimes takes a few tries to find and generate things in a format that works well!

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Deirdre M.
Industry: Higher Education

I couldn't do my job without Argos

Reviewed on 11/04/2018

So many. I use Argos for everything from ad hoc reporting to letter generation.

Pros

Argos allows me to respond quickly to the numerous requests for data I get each day, as well as giving me a tool with which to address more complicated projects.

Cons

Banded reports can be difficult to format. Lining everything up just right is tricky, and spacing gets weird when I use a lot of conditional bands.

Enables an easy end user view of the data in a format that is useful for day to day work.

Reviewed on 13/04/2018

The end users can do their work by running their on-demand reports and not waiting for a technical person to do it. It is easy to add or rearrange data on reports. You can build unlimited reports to handle all the special requests for specific purposes knowing that the data is accurate.

Pros

It is fairly easy to convert an sql script to a pool of data where you can create reports of all types for the end user to run on demand. You can select variables to create the pool or you can filter within the reports to get only the data the end user should have. You like spreadsheets, it can do that. You need to fill in forms, it can do that.

Cons

Variable functionality on some browsers. You can always get to where you want to be but sometimes you have to take detours with some versions of some browsers. sometimes it is a right click and other times you have to click on the tool button. Sometimes it doesn't show the whole list but you can type something in the search box and it will find it.

Benjamin A.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Overall, Argos is a great reporting tool that is easily customizable and a breeze to develop in

Reviewed on 13/04/2018

Pros

*Ease of use
*Security permissions are very clear and easy to maintain
*You can develop charts and dashboards with a good SQL background
*Through the use of filters, you can create generic reports that are usable for several different business groups

Cons

*Charts and graphs can look a little dated, and the filtering logic is not inherent, as compared to Tableau or Qlik
*If using a lot of filters, you must code the cascading filter logic yourself, which makes it a pain if you have changes later on (adding or subtracting filters)

Mary C.
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Argos has allowed us to improve our reporting abilities across campus

Reviewed on 13/04/2018

Pros

I like that we (ITS) can now saw 'Yes' to our end users more often than 'No.' Our functional users have taken on more of the report writing function than they could with our previous tool.

Cons

I'd like Argos better if there were seamless integration with Active Directory. Managing security at the user level and at the folder level is cumbersome.

Rania N.

Amazing software that gave deeply experience with

Reviewed on 14/04/2018

Pros

Speedy and friendly moreover very accurate as I can get the information you to date! I am so excited because it helps me a lot and facilating my job as it the best tool I deal it with.

Cons

Nothing at all! Argos is the best way for any type of users it can be more than successful method to get what we need in 2 minutes only.

Cale B.

Great product. Better customer service.

Reviewed on 10/04/2018

Pros

They go above and beyond to be helpful. ARGOS has enabled us to streamline many of our data requests and processes.

Cons

It would be nice if there was some better error checking when using free type. The ability to check parenthesizes, that sort of thing.

Skyler C.

It's a fairly robust reporting tool. It isn't perfect but it is quite useful.

Reviewed on 16/04/2018

Pros

I would have to say that I like that has a lot of useful features. I feel like creating reports is easier than using SSRS. I like the ease of setting up automatic emails as well.

Cons

I feel like the statistical charts and graphs are clunkier than tableau. I would like to see better analytics overall.

Waldemar M.
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Excellent and stable reporting software.

Reviewed on 18/04/2018

Stable reporting tool.

Pros

Argos is able to handle large amount of data from variety of sources. It is flexible and end-user friendly.

Cons

Visualization of data is limited, and formatting documents for printing is time consuming. In order to take full advantage of it, proficiencies in SQL is a must.

Augusto C.
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Report writing and analytics in one place

Reviewed on 16/04/2018

Report writing and analytics.

Pros

The process of report writing is easy and simple, once your data block is created. The process is pretty pain free, provided you know a SQL and where your data is at. There is a lot of help available from the company as well as other users.

Cons

Even with help, the learning curve for this software may be steep, depending of what you want to accomplish in the end.

Larry D.

So far, we have found it relatively easy for customers to use. It is less easy to prepare reports.

Reviewed on 13/04/2018

Ease of use for end users. Somewhat easy to prepare reports. Similarity to existing reporting software makes report preparation somewhat easy.

Pros

Ease of use for report viewers. It is user-friendly, and easy to get exports out of the system. I think this is more a case of how we are preparing reports, but it seems the default is to export into Excel. I'd like to see more reports prepared on-screen, with the ability to export as a secondary mechanism.

Cons

Understanding Argos security and it's possible configurations. We attended some Argos security sessions at the eVisions conference this past Saturday. I left feeling a bit more confused than when I went in.

Alexandria H.

Keeps us grounded!

Reviewed on 23/02/2018

Pros

I love how we can mangage classes and students information in one place. Unlimited number of users and database connections. We also love the data outcomes.
The unlimited and free on-line interactive trainings really help. I am new to Argos so it helps. It really is a great tool in a large university. I also love have you can limit access to certain users as well.

Cons

The only thing I have a problem with is at how massive the acronyms are. We have to create a cheat sheet to find certain information. Nevertheless it looks very dated far as font and execution but it holds a lot of information.

Jose T.

Argos makes report creation super quick.

Reviewed on 14/04/2018

Time saved in report creation and empowering users to create their own reports.

Pros

The ability that it gives to the stakeholder to actually create their own reports. Where as a programmer all I have to do is create the datablock and then for the most part the person requesting the report can go and drag and drop all of their UI elements to their report.

Cons

It's not so much that there is something that I do not like about Argos, it's more understanding what each tool is for. Argos is not designed for writing back to a database and that's fine. I guess what I am saying is that Argos has its limitations.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Company size: 10,000+ Employees

Reports

Reviewed on 23/10/2018

Pros

I enjoy the functionality of finding information when researching to complete projects

Cons

Lots of reports which are great but can be overwhelming to view at times.

Chandilyan A.
Industry: Education Management

Went to Evisions conference 2018, really amazed by Argos, looking forward to using Argos.

Enterprise Reporting
Graphic Data Visualization
Task Scheduling.

Pros

Enterprise Reporting Capabilities
Task scheduling
Graphical Visualizations
Higher Education Support.

Cons

I can't thing anything, a lot of higher education institutions use their software, and the customers recommended about the dedicated customer service, its really impressive.

Megan K.

Argos makes it simple to create queries and reports for review.

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 10/04/2018

Pros

Fairly easy to use for a functional user who has technical aptitude. Joins are explained in a simple way. The Co-op is essential and has saved time and energy.

Cons

Some navigation is not always intuitive, like creating the actual report. Additional prompts would be helpful when creating the a report from the datablock.

Daniel J.

Excellent option for reports

Reviewed on 02/04/2020

It has helped me with most of the reports from the department, and it allows me to organize data more efficiently.

Pros

Argos is a great software to create reports, even using different databases. I am able to compile reports from the whole department and read and compare results.

Cons

It is a little hard to understand the software layout at the beginning, but they have videos and tutorials to help you get used to it.

Kenneth D.

Single Office, not full enterprise/institutional product

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 16/04/2018

Pros

Affordable, great for a single user wanting to automate their processes, challenging to get it standardized across the entire organization

Cons

Lacks SAML security. CAS is not enough. Multi-Factor Authentication needs to be a minimum, especially if you are intending this to connect to a production database and write back into the database

Shawn R.

Good, but can be clunky

Reviewed on 24/11/2020
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

It's a bit clunky at times, but as we've figured it out Argos can be pretty good at putting together reports and dashboards.

Pros

Argos makes it fairly easy to access the information you want. It can quickly access tables, give you previews, and set up a basic form very quickly. For simple stuff, it is really good.

Cons

Where Argos is lacking is it's polish and ease of use. It can be difficult and finnicky to set up complicated reports. The charting functionality isn't great. There are also differences between the client and web viewer versions of the products, which makes access different from some users.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Amanda W.
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Our institution switched to using Argos for reporting a few years ago and quickly embraced it

Reviewed on 10/04/2018

The ability for our users to generate a large variety of reports or customize their reports from a large data block. This has helped cut back on the number of requests they send to our IT department for queries, reports, modifications, etc.

Pros

Argos is exceptionally easy to use for creating both simple csv data extracts as well as more complex, structured reports with customization of formatting, images and more. Argos helps our institution by allowing users to be less dependent on IT to access their data and more efficient in how they use that data in their business processes.

Cons

The responsiveness of the banded report tool can be tricky when trying to develop reports. I've found that it tends to lock up or render slowly (sometimes the graphics flash/jump around on the page). When previewing reports sometimes the data rendered isn't right.

Nadeem H.

Argos is an excellent tool. We are starting to implement this reporting tool.

Reviewed on 10/04/2018

Pros

I like the ease of use. A nontechnical user can go in and use a datablock and build reports and dashboards. Other institutions are able to share there schema and our report devolpers can easily configure and use this to build reports. The new graphics pie charts, bar charts, email bursts would be a useful feature for my institution. Evisions is investing time and effort for n making this tool better. I am excited to see the roadmap in the near future.

Cons

Would like to start to see integration in Banner.
I would like to see more canned reports
I would like to see more BI to be on dashboard, There may be some available on the coop
I would like to see feature like email, drill down options (may be delivered already)
Customer support and training available on web
Security based on banner roles or departments

Alejandro A.
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Excellent solution for all our reporting needs. Easy to use for developers and end users.

Reviewed on 13/04/2018

No matter where our data source was, we were able to connect to it and create reports in Argos. This way we were able to centralize all reporting making Argos our reporting standard.

Pros

One of the biggest advantages of Argos is the ability to combine different data sources into a single report. This enable us to create reports that marries data from different sources like Oracle, SQL, mySQL, mariaDB etc.

Cons

There's not much to say about things I don't like too much about Argos. There's always room for improvement in all areas. Probably charting was the one where they were not making too much progress but the latest updates updated the charting in Argos and now it looks more modern.

Mayna H.
Industry: Higher Education

We have absolutely no regrets on switching to Argos. It is powerful, flexible, and easy to use.

Reviewed on 13/04/2018

Fewer calls to IT for data; Happier end users.

Pros

The ease of use and the flexibility. We are able to provide our end users a "one-stop shop" for many of their data needs by pulling multiple facets of the data into one datablock that they can manipulate as they need. Not only that, but select end users can also build communications (email) and send adhoc or on a schedule without assistance from IT. Our users love it and we love it.

Cons

Not being able to connect to more than one datasource in one datablock.
This is not something we would need often, but occasionally the need does arise.

Lavasha S.

I am still fairly new to Argos but so fair it is ease of use.

Reviewed on 13/04/2018

Pros

The most impressive aspect of Argos is the turnaround of tech support. The submission to respond ratio is fairly high. Also, Argos is building an evolving platform that include new and exciting features and functions.

Cons

I am still waiting on Argos to implement two-factor authentication. We place high emphasis on establishing a secure platform and the two-factor authentication will help in accomplishing that goal.

Tara K.

Awesome!

Reviewed on 10/04/2018

Pros

It has made pulling information from Banner easier and has helped us to improve/automate many of our processes!

Cons

There isn't really anything that I dislike about the software itself...just wish I had more time to get datablocks designed by IT that I need to make things work more efficiently in my office.