Argos

Enterprise-level reporting tools for colleges & universities

4.5 /5 (70 reviews) Write a Review!

Stephen F.

• Customer Support Software

Argos replaced Crystal for most our customers on campus. Evisions is an outstanding company.

Reviewed on 17/04/2018

Argos allows us to create reports from different databases on campus.

Pros

The customer service is the best in the business at Evisions. There are a ton of training videos that help in the transition and ongoing use. There a 2 options for creating data blocks with one being for visual users with drag and drop and the other being for more technical users with entering SQL. A lot of our previous Crystal reports could be transferred quickly to Argos with minimal additional work.

Cons

Although most of our reports could be transferred quickly, some could not. This led to an entire department staying with Crystal. Their reports were too complicated to move in an efficient manner. There are some limitations to what you can do in the reports, but Evisions does listen to their customers, so updates are done frequently.

Jennifer R.

• Customer Support Software

The software is very easy to use, especially for non-technical staff

Reviewed on 10/04/2018

Easy access to data. For me, personally, I don't have to ask the developers for data - I can write the report myself.

Pros

Affordable, yet powerful, especially for a small institution. I love the Evisions team - they are incredibly supportive and customer focused.

Cons

Some things will work in Toad, but not Argos.
Also, there are sometimes funky things that happen with date fields .

Gohreen A.

Powerful tool.

Reviewed on 13/04/2018

One click reports for my department.

Pros

I can have reports available for functional users of me department with one click. Different charts can be created. Olap cube is very helpful. We do our admission letters with this product. Recently created probation and warning letters.

Cons

When our central IT has problem in nightly ODS update.

Greg K.

• Customer Support Software

Quick, powerful and intuitive software for database reports

Reviewed on 13/04/2018

Pros

User interface is incredibly intuitive while also providing great power and flexibility. Even users with no SQL experience can create complex queries using the visual designer. For experienced SQL developers, the text editor is available.

Outputs can be in the form of interactive dashboards with charts, graphs, indicators and multi column lists, or CSV files, xml data extracts, and PDF files.

The clever application developer can even turn this reporting tool into a data input application for maintenance data in your database delivering a user-friendly front end for end users.

One of the most outstanding features of Argos is the company behind it. Evisions is by far the best company to work with that a customer could ever find. Their tech support is exceptional: highly responsive, incredibly knowledgeable, never hesitating to offer a webex session and really dig in to find a solution. Software updates are very solid and dependable, saving us many hours of testing because of their track record of reliability.

Cons

The banded report editor is the weakest part of the software. It is the least intuitive and least flexible, only offering output in an often poorly rendered PDF file format. It lacks output options such as a Word file format, and forces you to construct your report output into bands of data, instead of a more flexible page layout format.

Anthony H.

• Customer Support Software

I was using Argos for more than 10 years, I am happy with it, it is a good report tools

Good and easy to use

Pros

Argos is very simple to use and easy to learn, it has very rich of features that meet the requirement of my school. I like the free type of SQL statement most, because I am a programmer and had very strong skill of SQL scripts, therefore I can just write up the requirement by SQL and then paste into the SQL free type screen. The result return from the report is exactly what I need.
To develop a report a very easy, just a few click and it also has a lot of Graphic features available, that makes the report has with the highest vision effect.
Argos has a very good customer support and it can solve my problem in a very quick time.

Cons

My school is still cannot use single sign on to the Argo server, it may be something missing from the set up in my school. It is not easy and clear to relate the items in the variables to the form design screen.
When I use Argos to update Banner table, the DML set up is not clear, whenever user were in more than one groups, the lower privilege over written the highest one. We run Argos report in Oracle AppEx system, but whenever we change the Argos report, it is not simple, something like we need to re-compile the report and generate a new link.

Dierdre K.

• Customer Support Software

Fantastic product. Makes our entire staff more efficient and happy with their jobs.

Reviewed on 13/04/2018

More productive, happy staff. Huge ROI. Facilitates collaboration.

Pros

The tool is very flexible in responding to our greatest needs. We no longer need to train new staff members on our clunky database. Everyone pushes and pulls info into the database via Argos, including all gift officers. We have a 100% rate of use in our database among front-line staff members due to our use of Argos.

Cons

You need someone on staff to develop datablocks, so there is training involved. But this really isn't a negative...there's training involved in all jobs!

Kevin B.

• Customer Support Software

I use Argos to write reports and send email blasts

Reviewed on 13/04/2018

the ability to use argos to transition our office to have more information in front of each counselor immediately has significantly reduced the time it takes to package.

Pros

I like the versatility. There are several processes that this software has helped automate. I was able to grow with my SQL abilities to go from visual design to a free type user.

Cons

"testing" is difficult. There is quite a few hoops to jump through to test it without it doing the real thing.

Shereen G.
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Exellent!

Reviewed on 15/04/2018

Pros

It is easy to be used by functional user. having a version control is a great feature. easy to run through the AWV

Cons

To get better and easier integration with Banner self service. The current integration needs to be done through the application server and IIS. Once this step fails, nothing happen . this is what we faced and I hoped you provide better and easier solution

Glenn H.

• Customer Support Software

Allowed us to get some necessary Enterprise reporting up and running quickly

Reviewed on 17/04/2018

Allowed us to quickly resolve pain points in reporting needs following the implementation of Banner Student and Banner Finance.

Pros

We found the software made it quick and easy to produce customized institutional reports. that our ERP did not provide out of the box.

Cons

WEE found that queries sometimes take longer than while performing the same query in a PL/SQL session.

Hylon P.

• Customer Support Software

Reliably brings data to clarity for end users.

Reviewed on 10/04/2018

Pros

Our end users can quickly access data in the awv whereas in the past they were it here relying on myself or vista views.

Cons

Setting up connection string, tricky but I've mastered it after a few tries. It would be nice have the ability to integrate work flow through processes as some staff forget the Argos reports exist.

Brittany H.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

I'm a user, and I have an easy time

Reviewed on 07/03/2018

This software gives me no headaches, and that's the best thing I can ask for when I work with so many programs that sometimes do.

Pros

It's intuitive based on the keyboard shortcuts and selections I naturally make with the data I need. We have a lot of people in our database, and they all have different attributes that we need to sort through and target and filter. Argos is the first step in this and makes it easy to move along in our process. It's not an exciting part of my job, but I REALLY appreciate that it isn't a headache.

Hongzhi M.
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

I used Argos to build the dashboard. It's not easy to use. You should have SQL background.

Reviewed on 12/04/2018

We connect the live data with the Dashboard we build using Argos. That live data make the senior administrators to monitor the situations of enrollment easily and save our team's report time.

Pros

The olap cube function is strong. But the user need to get training to use it. We used Argos to build Dashboard. There are many strong functions we like, such as automatically report through email.

Cons

It's not easy to use, but it's possible to learn for the regular users. After we build the Dashboard, we have to give many training to the users of the Dashboard.

Bob S.

• Customer Support Software

Excellent product and support .

Reviewed on 11/04/2018

Easy to learn and use. Performs well and is well received by end users. Has a lot of flexibility.

Pros

Dashboard capabilities. I love that you can build a functional web based online process as a dashboard.

Cons

I would love to see the dashboard capabilities expanded even more. I wish you had more properties for fields on a form to allow for better data integrity.

Jacob C.
  • Industry: Facilities Services

• Customer Support Software

Argos is a reasonable report software at a good price.

Reviewed on 10/05/2018

Good software for my regular reports.

Pros

This is more of a budget reporting software. The best part of Argos is that it is inexpensive. For regular simple reports this is a great software to use at the enterprise level.

Cons

The software is targeted for simple and repetitive reports for regular users and hits that target well. The software seems to struggle with advanced reporting needs and other software should be used for complex reporting.

Kia M.
  • Used Other for 1+ year

Reviewed on 12/04/2021

Pros

This software is very useful to use to pull spreadsheets/reports

Cons

The program is somewhat difficult to use once first learning how to use.

Robert M.
  • Used Other for 1+ year

New user, from a school using Argos in ad-hoc manner. Will have better feedback next year.

Reviewed on 16/04/2018

I'm not sure yet. I will have better info a 6 months to a year from now.

Pros

I like the potential of canned reports, scheduled emails, bursting. Have yet to implement these features.

Cons

Without better institutional support, it has been difficult to navigate on my own how to better use the software. We learned a lot from the conference and hope to be in a better place a year from now.

• Customer Support Software

A bit frustrating as a second-level user in an organization, but provides valuable information!

Reviewed on 19/06/2018

This software provides real-time access to data and statistics and provides a lot of flexibility in reporting options, so that you can get the information in a format that works for your needs!

Pros

I have use this software as a part of my Lead Support role at Lansing Community College. It is very handy to have access to information that pulled real-time from our college's student information system, and it has a LOT of flexibility in the way that you can set up and run reports to meet your statistical needs.

Cons

I am a second-level user in the fact that I can run reports, but I do not have administrative access to the software. For me, it tends to get a bit frustrating when I want more advanced information and I have to get a response from elsewhere in the organization to create a report that fits my needs. I don't think this software is particularly intuitive either. I am really adept at learning software, so I caught on quickly, but I often find myself training other people in our office, especially at ways to manipulate the reports to generate the information that you want. It sometimes takes a few tries to find and generate things in a format that works well!

Deirdre M.

• Customer Support Software

I couldn't do my job without Argos

Reviewed on 11/04/2018

So many. I use Argos for everything from ad hoc reporting to letter generation.

Pros

Argos allows me to respond quickly to the numerous requests for data I get each day, as well as giving me a tool with which to address more complicated projects.

Cons

Banded reports can be difficult to format. Lining everything up just right is tricky, and spacing gets weird when I use a lot of conditional bands.

• Customer Support Software

Enables an easy end user view of the data in a format that is useful for day to day work.

Reviewed on 13/04/2018

The end users can do their work by running their on-demand reports and not waiting for a technical person to do it. It is easy to add or rearrange data on reports. You can build unlimited reports to handle all the special requests for specific purposes knowing that the data is accurate.

Pros

It is fairly easy to convert an sql script to a pool of data where you can create reports of all types for the end user to run on demand. You can select variables to create the pool or you can filter within the reports to get only the data the end user should have. You like spreadsheets, it can do that. You need to fill in forms, it can do that.

Cons

Variable functionality on some browsers. You can always get to where you want to be but sometimes you have to take detours with some versions of some browsers. sometimes it is a right click and other times you have to click on the tool button. Sometimes it doesn't show the whole list but you can type something in the search box and it will find it.

Benjamin A.

• Customer Support Software

Overall, Argos is a great reporting tool that is easily customizable and a breeze to develop in

Reviewed on 13/04/2018

Pros

*Ease of use
*Security permissions are very clear and easy to maintain
*You can develop charts and dashboards with a good SQL background
*Through the use of filters, you can create generic reports that are usable for several different business groups

Cons

*Charts and graphs can look a little dated, and the filtering logic is not inherent, as compared to Tableau or Qlik
*If using a lot of filters, you must code the cascading filter logic yourself, which makes it a pain if you have changes later on (adding or subtracting filters)

Mary C.

• Customer Support Software

Argos has allowed us to improve our reporting abilities across campus

Reviewed on 13/04/2018

Pros

I like that we (ITS) can now saw 'Yes' to our end users more often than 'No.' Our functional users have taken on more of the report writing function than they could with our previous tool.

Cons

I'd like Argos better if there were seamless integration with Active Directory. Managing security at the user level and at the folder level is cumbersome.

Rania N.

• Customer Support Software

Amazing software that gave deeply experience with

Reviewed on 14/04/2018

Pros

Speedy and friendly moreover very accurate as I can get the information you to date! I am so excited because it helps me a lot and facilating my job as it the best tool I deal it with.

Cons

Nothing at all! Argos is the best way for any type of users it can be more than successful method to get what we need in 2 minutes only.

Cale B.

• Customer Support Software

Great product. Better customer service.

Reviewed on 10/04/2018

Pros

They go above and beyond to be helpful. ARGOS has enabled us to streamline many of our data requests and processes.

Cons

It would be nice if there was some better error checking when using free type. The ability to check parenthesizes, that sort of thing.

Skyler C.

• Customer Support Software

It's a fairly robust reporting tool. It isn't perfect but it is quite useful.

Reviewed on 16/04/2018

Pros

I would have to say that I like that has a lot of useful features. I feel like creating reports is easier than using SSRS. I like the ease of setting up automatic emails as well.

Cons

I feel like the statistical charts and graphs are clunkier than tableau. I would like to see better analytics overall.

Waldemar M.

• Customer Support Software

Excellent and stable reporting software.

Reviewed on 18/04/2018

Stable reporting tool.

Pros

Argos is able to handle large amount of data from variety of sources. It is flexible and end-user friendly.

Cons

Visualization of data is limited, and formatting documents for printing is time consuming. In order to take full advantage of it, proficiencies in SQL is a must.