Google Data Studio Reviews

Google Data Studio

Interactive dashboard reporting and data visualization tool

4.7/5

Neels
Neels

Amazing Value At No Cost

Reviewed on 05/08/2022

Before DataStudio I had to prepare dashboards and reports in spreadsheets and documents and compile the raw data into reports in a manual way.
I saved a tremendous amount of time by setting up the data flows and report/dashboard structures once in DataStudio and then just scheduling regular reports to go out automatically

Pros

The most impactful features of DataStudio are the wide range of visualizations you have access to in order to present your data in the most engaging and insightful way. Coupled with the wide range of data connectors that are available natively and also third-party connectors, which expands the scope widely.
Once you have understood the overall way of working, the tool is very easy to use. There are lots of training videos available and lots of support available over the internet, in case you get stuck.
Integration into my business practises was easy because of the flexibility in data input sources. If a specific connector does not exist, then you can always fall back on file imports.

Cons

The most important missing feature for me personally is a native (free) data connector to Facebook Ads. One has free access to all the Google platforms and I have a constant struggle to get a decent data connector to Facebook ad platform data.
One improvement that I suggest is to add the functionality to do processing on calculated fields to do for instance 7-day moving average calculations on the platform itself. Now I have to do those calculations on a Google Sheet first and then import the results into the DataStudo reports. Or even make that a built-in function?

• Customer Support Software

Google Data Studio will handle my needs?

Reviewed on 20/06/2022

I had a big concern that I would no be able to use Microsoft Power BI (budget issue), but in the end of the road Google Data Studion was a good surprise. Good price, everything you need to put a high quality data project running. No issues. In another company for example, it would be my choice.

Pros

Once it's build your data sources, it's easy to build your dashboards even they don't have the best data viz options. It's in the Google tech stack, that makes easy to your team keep running. Would like to have Microsoft Power BI? It was my concerto too! But yes, Google Data Studio will deliver all info you need in a beautiful interface - don't worry. Good price, clear and light interface, access from any device. Your data project will meet the needs.

Cons

Different from Microsoft Power BI for example, you don't have a on screen calculation, easy to work on. Many times you need to create new fields, build cases with calculations to have the field to use on. You need an administrator/builder with more tech skills. But any doubt that I found, I had case or example in the web to search and use. But once it's build the base, it's easy to build dashboards, deploy, upgrade and so one.

Pentaho

Reasons for Choosing Google Data Studio

We need a onde piece solution for data, where all data sources get together. In many times, price here, lack of features there were a problem. Now, we have a single source of truth.

Reasons for Switching to Google Data Studio

Already part of Google tech stack (our choice), price, fast and easy.
Bart
Bart
  • Industry: Market Research Software

• Customer Support Software

A great solution for non-essential dashboarding solutions

Reviewed on 21/09/2020

We loved using it for some reasons, we hated to leave (as we had to do a lot of work all over again). But we are happy we pushed through.

Pros

1) Simple to use
It is easy to use. Drag & drop, add texts, connect sources, ... It all works like a charm.

2) Free
It is free to use. Connect your account and you're good to go. The downside: you're on your own...

3) Visual freedom
As opposed to other solutions we (currently) use, Google offers by far more flexibility in terms of creating something that is visually exactly what you want.

Cons

1) What security?
We used google data studio to embed dashboards in our own SAAS solution. As embedding only works with 'open access' documents, it means that you open up your dashboard to the world (provided they know the URL). It is not the security we like.

2) Lack of roadmap impact & customer support
As one of the many free users, we have no impact on how the product evolves over time. Customer support is a matter of googling your way around and finding a community response rather than an official spokes persons' help.

3) Speed... Or the opposite rather: slooooowness
No matter how happy we are about Google's Cloud Platform solution, Data studio is sloooow.

Qlik Sense and Tableau

Reasons for Switching to Google Data Studio

Pricing. We were a bootstrapped startup, qlick & tableau were too expensive for us.
Hany
  • Industry: Higher Education Software

Easy to use Data Analysis Application

Reviewed on 29/04/2023

Google Looker Studio ( formerly Google Data Studio ) allows my team members to access and create analytical reports and share them with stakeholders and teammates. It helps my team visualize performance reports and run simple ad-hoc analyses. The service enhances our productivity and improves the information workflow internally over the company and externally with our clients.

Pros

Google Looker Studio ( formerly Google Data Studio ) is easy to use and has an intuitive user interface that allows the average user to create and consume reports and dashboards. It integrates seamlessly with google analytics and workspace applications like Sheets, docs, and Google Drive. It facilitates self-service data analysis and business intelligence practices.

Cons

Google Looker Studio ( formerly Google Data Studio ) has a relatively slow performance and limited features regarding data connectors and visualization. Although the paid version has advanced features, it comes at a high cost with more difficulties and barriers to scale.

Tableau

Reasons for Switching to Google Data Studio

The service suits our small-sized data workflows and is considered one of the easiest-to-use business intelligence applications. It's quick to start and requires minimal training for new users as long as we use it on a limited scale.
Mike

• Customer Support Software

If you want data in Dashboard from all the Google tools and many others then GDS is for you

Reviewed on 20/12/2022

Overall, my experience with Google Data Studio has been phenomenal. I'm able to easily manage and visualize all my data in one place. It's incredibly user friendly, and I'm able to customize my dashboards for different projects. The reporting capabilities are really helpful and allow me to quickly access insights that would take much longer with manual methods. Plus, the integration with other Google products makes it simple to create a comprehensive view of everything. Highly recommended!

Pros

I really like Google Data Studio as a long time user. It's really easy to use and it has an intuitive interface. I love that it integrates with other data sources like BigQuery, Google Ads, and Google Analytics so I can easily visualize my data in one place. The drag and drop feature makes it simple for me to customize my reports and dashboards however I want. Plus, the ability to collaborate with others on the same report is incredibly helpful.

Cons

I found the interface to be confusing and not very intuitive. It was difficult to figure out how to use the platform without taking some time to watch the tutorials. I also found it difficult to customize visualizations and create reports that were easy to understand. Overall, I found using Google Data Studio challenging, and would have preferred a more user-friendly experience.But for the price "FREE" and plenty of video's and ready to use templates this tool still wins for me.

• Customer Support Software

Powerful reporting tool in the right hands.

Reviewed on 13/10/2020

Seeing many data sources in a single view with multiple date ranges and comparisons.

Pros

I would recommend every business used this, from small to large. The ability to combine and view google analytics, google ads and search console data is fantastic and gives you great insights into your business performance. There are also lots of templates available online to get you started for no cost.

Cons

The customisation has to come from someone with a fair bit of knowledge of the product when sharing with others. In the majority of times people will have to only have a view of the report and they won't really be able to amend or see other data within it. It is also a little slow when doing lots of data and changing the views.

Looker, Tableau, and Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Google Data Studio

Value for money and connections into other google data systems.
Anastasios
  • Industry: Research

Great tool for reporting and dashboards

Reviewed on 04/01/2023

Great product for live dashboards. Great functionality and connectivity! Definitely recommended.

Pros

Great range of data source to connect to your dashboard! The filter functionality is good. Customised and great range of graphs. Easy to merge different data sources. It is a real live dashboard and you can modify the refresh rate of the data harvesting.

Cons

A bit slow and requires a very good graphics card in your computer to run smoothly, especially when you plan to build a multipage dashboard. Missing some more advanced graphs. Learning curve might be a bit steep in the beginning.

Tableau and Microsoft Power BI

Reasons for Switching to Google Data Studio

We use different tools for different purposes
Jakub

Dashboards for your clients

Reviewed on 19/07/2022

We were using custom reporting forms for our client work but struggled with the currentness of data and new colleagues always needed a lesson or two in understanding where to get data from, how to clean it and how to import it.
Once we started to setup GDS all these things went away. The initial period was the setup of the connectors and report templates, but after that the invested time payed off well.

Pros

Creating reports can be a task which requires a lot of steps and gathering of data from all sort of sources in different formats. Putting the data together in a way that is understadable for client or basically anyone else is a task where Google Data Studio comes in and does just that. Without any hassle - data gets inside the studio and can be vizualised, cross-referenced and presented to anyone without technical knowledge.

Cons

Sometimes you need a special data from an exotic service which means either going back to basics and side-loading some exported data or writing own connector or buying access to a connector. And the system can get slow.

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Google Data Studio

We used a proprietary reporting solution which was hard to maintain.
Sasamka
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Data Studio is awesome

Reviewed on 03/06/2020

Data Studio is an awesome tool to visualize your data
We can get easy and reliable insights quickly...

Data Studio is an awesome tool to visualize your data
We can get easy and reliable insights quickly on the Big data that we currently have in BigQuery
We are able to make insightful decisions based on data because of Data Studio

Pros

Ability to integrate with Big Query
Different charts that are available
ability to customize based on dates

Cons

Not user friendly initially
has a learning curve to get used to all the awesome features

• Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Great tool to have all your KPIs for the company

Reviewed on 05/05/2022

Pros

Simple to use as and end user and (mostly) simple to set up.

Cons

If you dont have the proper knowledge it might be a difficult task.

Microsoft Power BI

Reasons for Switching to Google Data Studio

It was cheaper and most of our info came from google anyways.
Natalia
  • Industry: Food Production

Our experience using GDS

Reviewed on 06/10/2021

We have a lot of employees, and we cannot give them all payed users of a software to visualize our indicators and processes results. When we test the software for the first time, we cannot imagine all the possibilities for free that we had in front of us. We had a very fast learning curve, and it was only a matter of months before various departments were already implementing their own dashboards. We love that we can edit several people on the same dashboard without problems.

Pros

To have a tool that give to you the opportunity to develop a complete dashboard is amazing, and the fact that that tool is free, is awesome.
I really enjoy that GDS is really easy to use, I learn by myself and seeking videos on the internet. It is a very intuitive application, so you might not know anything about data visualization and you could still use it without problem.
I really like that the Google apps have very similar edit pages, so if you have ever used Google Forms, you are going to find GDS very familiar.

Cons

I find this software very useful, but there is one thing that I want they to improve, if there is the possibility. The connection with Microsoft Office, for example: Microsoft Excel. If you want to make a dashboard on GDS, you have to pass your data to google sheets, and you lost a lot of features that Excel gives to you. There is a way to do it by using python, but, if you want to preserve the fact that this software is really easy to use, so, it is not a solution to this problem.

Microsoft Power BI

Reasons for Switching to Google Data Studio

We are using both of them, but we choose Data Studio becaus eit is userfriendly, it is very intuitive, and it is free.
Andrew

Data Studio Review

Reviewed on 08/02/2021

Overall, my experience with Data Studio has been mixed. The learning curve is definitely steep and it is not the easiest tool in terms of collaboration compared to other options on the market. Importing data can often be a pain and it is sometimes quite difficult to set up connections to refresh data sources, which makes reporting more manual and time-consuming than it should be.

Pros

Data Studio is an extremely powerful tool for reporting and has allowed our team to share out extremely in-depth reports with our clients. It's suite of features is vast and allows our teams to provide highly valued insights into data we previously never had access to. The software is extremely flexible when it comes to customization to fit the needs of our client on a case-by-case basis, which is extremely important since each client has different preferences, nuances, and objectives and Data Studio makes that customization super simple.

Cons

Since Data Studio has so many in-depth reporting features, the software itself can be confusing to adapt to and the learning curve for reporting is quite steep if you have no prior experience. It took our team a long time to learn and adapt the software and collaboration on one report was often difficult, which resulted in one member being delegated to handle reporting responsibilities. It would be nice if the Data Studio was able to incorporate task management and campaign tracking alongside its powerful reporting abilities; I think that would really push Data Studio above the competition from software such as Domo and Tableau.

Domo and Tableau

Reasons for Switching to Google Data Studio

We chose Data Studio for its pricing options and our ability to integrate easily with our client partners.
Shiva

• Customer Support Software

Great for marketers who know how to use it.

Reviewed on 31/12/2022

I can tell you that Google Data Studio is a popular business intelligence tool that is widely used by organizations of all sizes to create professional-looking reports and dashboards. Many users appreciate its ease of use, integrations with other Google products, and customization options. However, some users may find that it lacks advanced features and support compared to other business intelligence tools, and may be dependent on other Google products to fully utilize it.

Pros

Easy to use: Google Data Studio has a user-friendly interface that makes it easy for even non-technical users to create professional-looking reports and dashboards.Integrations: Google Data Studio integrates seamlessly with other Google products, such as Google Sheets, Google Analytics, and Google Ads, making it easy to pull in data from multiple sources.Customization: Google Data Studio allows users to customize their reports and dashboards with a wide range of visualizations, such as charts, maps, and tables.Collaboration: Google Data Studio has built-in collaboration tools, allowing multiple users to work on the same report or dashboard at the same time.Sharing: Google Data Studio allows users to easily share their reports and dashboards with others, either by embedding them in a website or sharing a link.

Cons

Limited data sources: While Google Data Studio integrates with many popular data sources, it doesn't have as many integrations as some other business intelligence tools.Limited customizability: While Google Data Studio allows users to customize their reports and dashboards to a certain extent, it doesn't offer as much customization as some other tools.Lack of advanced features: Google Data Studio doesn't have as many advanced features as some other business intelligence tools, such as predictive analytics or machine learning capabilities.Dependence on Google products: To fully utilize Google Data Studio, users may need to rely on other Google products, such as Google Sheets or Google Analytics, which may not be suitable for all organizations.Limited support: While Google Data Studio has a large user community and extensive documentation, it may not offer as much support as some other business intelligence tools.

Benjamin
  • Industry: Mining & Metals

If you already have Google Workspace the go to BI tool

Reviewed on 19/12/2022

If you have the data already transformed and edited in a way so you can prepare your presentations its the go to tool. However, if you need to modify the incoming data, it's not the best tool.

Pros

It's available free for use with Google Workspace and it gives you all the important charts and implementations you could think of and know from other BI tools like power bi. It integrates well with literally any other software that has an API or dedicated connector (hundreds available).

Cons

The biggest disadvantage is really the data preparation, sometimes it is not possible to have the data come in in the way you would like to present it, however in DataStudio it's crucial to have the data sources provide you the data in the format you require for the report. Editing data and transforming data is only possible to a certain point, other tools like PowerBI do a much better job in that way.

Anoop
Anoop

Best for Quick Visualization

Reviewed on 03/03/2023

Overall the interface is simple to use and intuitive. Integration with various data sources and data import that is seamless. Team members' collaborative sharing and editing is easy. It is free to use and can connect to a variety of data sources.

Pros

Google Data Studio is an incredible asset for making staggering and intelligent reports. The simplified connection point makes it simple to use for clients, everything being equal, and the capacity to work together progressively has made it a significant resource for our group.I love the way adaptable Google Data Studio is. The capacity to make custom layouts, add marking components, and coordinate with different information sources has permitted us to make lovely and viable reports that really address our image.It is a reasonable and simple to-utilize revealing device that has had a major effect in our business. The capacity to rapidly make custom reports and dashboards has assisted us with pursuing information driven choices and work on our main concern.

Cons

Though it can be used as a quick tool for reporting, it cannot handle large amount of data and thus gets stuck while processing it. Occasionally there are few bugs and glitches that slows the performance of the dashboard. It has limited options of advanced analytics.

Michelle
  • Industry: Music

Google Data Studio Makes Reporting Easier

Reviewed on 29/07/2021

I had to find a cheap way to provide reporting for a client that would pull in data from a lot of different sources but the client didn't want to pay for a subscription to any of the commercially available options. I found Data Studio by mistake about three or four years ago and I haven't used any other "reporting" tool since discovering it.

Pros

What I like most about Google Data Studio is that it's free. Honestly, that's the main reason I use it, because I consult as a part-time gig with one-off projects and I simply cannot afford to buy into anyone else's "business analytics," "business intelligence," or "reporting" software tools. The fact that it works, is customizable, and is fairly easy to figure out if you've ever worked with web-based, data-driven visualizations are just icing on the cake.

Cons

Getting started with it can be a challenge, especially if you've never worked with "connectors" for database-driven projects before. The initial walk-through provided by Google is just enough to get you completely lost. I think more companies would use this tool if they provided a better introduction to how to properly set up your projects.

Julie
  • Industry: Banking

Review on Google Data Studio

Reviewed on 05/04/2023

it is actually very useful for me to create interactive dashboards and also reports. figures and data can illustrate clearly. I can collaborate with my co-workers and work on same dashboard, which help us to complete our tasks effectively. But in some case customization is somewhat limited. Also do not get immediate solution from the support system.

Pros

A simple and intuitive interface so easy to use .Integrate with all other Google products, which helps a lot.The customization feature in some case is mind-blowing.A team can work simultaneously on the same dashboard, so I can collaborate with my co-workers in same workFree of cost so it reduce my business expense.Can create real-time dashboards, so understand website traffic etcAccessed through smartphones alsoAutomatically refresh data, so always display the most up-to-date information.

Cons

Limited support for non-Google data sourcesCustomization options for visualizations and formatting are significantly lessThe support system is very poor and do not get solution for doubts and problemsData security and privacy is a concern, mainly about business data.Required more advanced features and functions to make report impressive

Matthew
Matthew

• Customer Support Software

Professionally and easily create online dashboards and interfaces for internal and external...

Reviewed on 18/05/2022

To summarize, this was the most cost-effective solution for me because I needed just Google platforms for which to generate reports, and I wanted to save money on a reporting program. If you want additional social or video reporting for a combined reporting platform, it may be more cost effective to purchase a separate reporting product than to pay for Google Data Studio to incorporate that data.

Pros

Google Data Studio's greatest asset is the fact that it is completely free to use. It's a no-brainer to use Google Data Studio if you only need to aggregate and visualize data from numerous Google products and platforms (such as Google Ads, Analytics, Search Console, etc.). You don't have to pay per connection or result for any of these products because they can all connect to Google Data Studio for free.

Cons

As a result of Data Studio's extensive reporting capabilities, the program itself can be difficult for new users to grasp, and the learning curve for reporting is rather high. With the new program, we had to spend a lot of time learning it before we could start using it, which meant that we had one person of our team responsible for reporting.

Santosh

• Customer Support Software

Can't do without data syudio if you are an agency

Reviewed on 13/02/2022

Love it - pros outweigh the minor cons in a big way. Would recommend it for all digital agencies.

Pros

Part of doing good quality agency work in the digital marketing realm is taking your clients on a journey and keeping them up to date with their campaigns and digital performance. Data Studio helps integrate data from their search and social accounts in really visual dashboards. We cannot imagine our agency to function without these dashboards that take data in from Search Console, Facebook, Moz, Analytics, Google Ads, SEM Rush - you name it!

Cons

Sometimes third part integration with Supermetrics etc. can cause connectors to break randomly. Data fields being deprecated without notice also causes reports to break which is less than ideal. Finally, when you duplicate a report, the data sources are copied over which is a HUGE issue! So be careful there!

Satyaswapna
Satyaswapna
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Easiest way to Data Visualization

Reviewed on 16/10/2019

Looking at data on a day to day or weekly basis has become easier as looking at a graph is much easier than looking at numbers

Pros

The initial set-up is very easy
Easy to use templates
Very straight forward
New features coming in monthly
Can use calculated fields and items

Cons

There are some minor tweaks like adjusting data label position which isn't available
Can't use the studio with big datasets on Google sheet
Is slow when there are lot of responsive graphs

Tableau

It's free to use
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

A much needed tool, but lot to improve

Reviewed on 24/12/2022

Pros

It has almost all the data and we can create dashboard using all that data, by just drag and drop, which makes it super easy and convenient. For static data like targets, we can connect to google sheets, which results in one stop solution for many employees to track their performance. We also get rich demographic info using GA, which can be visualized here on maps also. After giving access to business users, they are self creating dashboards which is offloading my work.

Cons

It does sampling with users when data points are less, which results in different value for every user when using direct GA connector, we have to use Big Query connector to overcome this problem but it incurs cost. Sometimes it does wrong aggregation like while calculating distinct users, sometimes it will give distinct in total for which sum of table will by greater than total, but sometimes it just adds up the values which is wrong.

Johnna
  • Industry: Law Practice

• Customer Support Software

Google Data Studio (GDS Review)

Reviewed on 05/07/2022

I have had a positive experience with Google Data Studio and would recommend to others.

Pros

GDS is free to use, which is a huge perk. There are many connector options, the google ones are free and third-party ones can be added via companies like Supermetrics or TapClicks. I like the visuals in GDS and how user friendly it is. It's also nice you can have shareable URLs for reports/dashboards and can grant editor access to specific data sources.

Cons

There are limitations on the number of pivot tables you can have per page and i wish there was a customer support option. Even if we had to pay for it/

John
  • Industry: Music

Great for the Price

Reviewed on 12/06/2023

Google Data Studio is a fine lightweight product but I do not think it is a top-tier analytics tool. It is probably fine if you are working with small to medium size datasets and you are primarily concerned with data visualization.

Pros

Data Studio is a great choice if you are already on a Google stack. It is (or can be) virtually free and it offers plenty of flexibility for light analytics or old-fashioned data profiling. I have used it with some success for enterprise-grade analytics, but it is easy to run up against data limitations. It's generally very quick (especially with BI Engine) and it works well with other Google tools (such as GA).

Cons

The product feels a bit cheap compared to its competitors. I found it difficult to manage assets across multiple teams. We ran into multiple issues with ownership (granted, our own fault) that we wouldn't have encountered with, e.g., Power BI or Tableau.

Daïnah
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Easy and fast to use it with Google's component

Reviewed on 24/07/2023

We used Google DataStudio for the price (free), it was very easy to use and was mainly use for the simple dashboard and use cases.

Pros

Google Data Studio is very easy to use with BigQuery's connection : we can connect directly tables, views or custom query.

Cons

Before integration with looker, we were limited with left join between tables (no inner join and no right join)

Varsha
Varsha

Data Visualization - Automatic Report - Multiple Source - Custom Dashboard

Reviewed on 05/08/2022

my overall experience is really great, it saves my lot of time by creating a report one time and add any other feature later on whenever is required.

Pros

I like this tool very much because of few advanced feature like- data add on from multiple resources like google analytics, adwords, search console, Google Sheet, Big Query, MySql, Google Survey, Youtube Analytics, Custom File Upload and etc. Few more other to create custom dashboard as per requirement. Do automation share report on email. It's very useful to create advance data visualization report. Also the filtration of record as per date we select is a global feature to add in report always on a same URL.

Cons

there's nothing to dislike or less like. There's possibility to add more add on related to example worksheet for marketing templates, sales and project analysis.