Shift

Desktop app for managing your accounts, apps, and workflows.

4.4 /5 (275 reviews) Write a Review!
4.4
Paul M.
Industry: Architecture & Planning

Sign-In Issues

Reviewed on 22/10/2019

Pros

I have four business accounts I can see at once, switch between calendars and files, and get notifications all in one place. I hated having multiple windows open in my browser and having to switch between tabs.

Cons

I am having to sign-in to my accounts and authorize shift to access my info too frequently. I don't have to do it this often online. Once approved, shouldn't Shift be recognized by Google?

Daniel P.
Industry: Executive Office

Shift is a time saver and a life saver

Reviewed on 16/09/2020

I have used the paid version for years. It is fantastic. Everything I use all day in one central location. No more open tabs and jumping between tabs or apps. Simple and elegant!

Pros

Shift allows me to get more done in my day and has helped me to increase my productivity. It is well thought out and so easy to use and deploy.

Cons

To be honest, I don't have a feature I don't like.

Sara T.
Industry: Arts & Crafts

Work Every Penny!

Reviewed on 21/10/2019

Shift helps me just jump into whatever I need, FAST. At any given moment as a small business owner who has at least 20 different things going at once Shift helps me get it done. I could go on and on about the individual uses I get out of Shift. When you run everything on your own you need all the help you can get.

Pros

It's all right there. No opening and accidentally closing browser tabs, no hunting down bookmarks or even wasting a few second typing the beginning of a website to get where you need to be. I manage multiple email accounts and use several different applications to communicate with clients and manage my business. Time is something I can never get more of so when it comes to tools and saving time even as a small business owner Shift is extremely valuable to me. Between the extensive collection of apps and browser extensions, everything is right at my fingertips. Just a few seconds can really add up over a day/month/year... It's worth EVERY single penny to me!

Cons

I don't have many complaints about Shift except the short lag getting notifications through my Gmail accounts. I will get a ding on my phone before I get a ding in Shift. It's minor but that is the only thing I can think of that really would be anything annoying.

Ally B.
Industry: Events Services

Convenient

Reviewed on 22/10/2019

Overall I'm happy because I'm able to access all of my email accounts and majority of the third party apps/accounts I use on a daily. Saves me time and helps me to work more efficiently since I'm working on multiple things during the day.

Pros

The fact that you are able to connect a lot of other third party apps in one place. I manage a few businesses and have multiple emails and programs I'm in on the daily, it is nice to be able to access majority of them in one place.

Cons

Seems like I have had more security issues since having Shift, sometimes the program times out and I have to restart the program, or it takes a little bit longer to open. I use Google Drive a lot and off and on I cannot save from Shift (download Google Docs or docs from email) directly to My Documents. I have to save it to this folder on my C Drive.

Response from Redbrick Technologies

Thanks for the review! We're excited that you're managing multiple emails and programs in one place with Shift. You may have already discovered this, but it is possible to change the download location in Settings > General > Functionality within Shift. You first need to toggle off "Always ask download location" and then click select location. If you're still having issues, feel free to create a support ticket (https://support.tryshift.com/new) so that our team can help you out.

Industry: Retail

Best Productivity Software Available

Reviewed on 16/10/2019

Shift allows me to save time during my day by keeping all of my important communication tools, including multiple Gmail accounts, open and accessible without having to switch between accounts in the browser. Staying on top of multiple email accounts and other methods of communication during the day (such as Facebook Messenger and Android Messages) was time consuming and ineffective. But with Shift, it puts it all in once place and is very easy to use!

Pros

Access to multiple Gmail accounts within a single window and no switching accounts. Also love having access to other web applications within a single app as well. Allows you to build out a customized set of web apps to save you time during your day.

Cons

To be honest, I have had very few issues with Shift. Google Forms can be a pain sometimes as their don't always want to open in the child windows, but other than that, it just works.

Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Makes me feel calm when working

Reviewed on 04/01/2020

I love shift because it makes it easy for my team to see all the applications we use, all in one place.
When I'm using it, I love that it makes me feel calm when I work because I know where everything is and am never jumping between 50 tabs (which makes my head spin) and work more efficiently.

Pros

Everything is in one spot, which is what I like the most. It's easy to use and add new applications as you grow your business.

Cons

I wish you could use the keyboard to flip between screens faster. Even though I can't do that, I still prefer to use this Shift over just my browser.

Response from Shift Technologies Inc.

Thanks for your review! We're very happy to hear that Shift helps you feel calm while working and that you're finding it easy to use.

You may already be aware, but with the latest 4.0 release you can now cycle windows, check notifications and switch between accounts with the latest addition to our list of custom keyboard shortcuts. It's great for quickly toggling between your top apps and accounts without lifting your fingers off the keyboard.

Take it for a spin:

Mac: Command + `
Windows: Control + Tab

To see a full list of keyboard shortcuts within shift use:

Mac: Command + /
Windows: Control + /

If you have any other questions or comment, feel free to contact out support team!

Matthew S.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Great All In One, But A Bit of a Resource Hog

Reviewed on 25/10/2019

My overall experience with Shift has been good. As a freelance creative services provider juggling personal, professional, and creative resources, I've come to depend on Shift as a time-saver and essential tool.

Pros

I appreciate, and have come to depend, on having several e-mail and cloud storage accounts (Google), invoicing / time tracking (Freshbooks), and notes / outlining / to-do (Dynalist and / or Workflowy) in one place via Shift. Just taking into account the reduced number of clicks and alt-tabs, it's a time saver.

Cons

Since Shift mostly works as a container for several Chromium browser tabs, it eats resources just like Chrome does. On a less robust computer (for example, on my older Dell laptop), this results in a noticeable overall performance hit. On my zippy desktop machine (built for gaming), it's no issue at all. So be sure you have good hardware if you plan on using Shift regularly throughout your day for multiple apps.

Cole C.
Industry: Printing

Software Is fantastic, for the most part

Reviewed on 15/10/2019

We have too many forms of communication, and not enough screens to utilize. Then you have the multi-tab problem. It makes it too difficult to manage.

This tool helped create a simply solution.

Pros

I love that this thing consolidates all of my emails, crm, and communication channels all in one. This as made life that much easier. Especially people that are using one screen, this is the perfect consolidation tool to use.

Cons

I have had some problems with this tool not syncing well with hubspot or boomerrang. I have to constantly restart it in order for these tools to function properly.

Response from Redbrick Technologies

Thanks for the review! We're excited that you're finding Shift is perfect for consolidating emails, crm and communication in one place. Are you still having issues with HubSpot and Boomerang or have they been solved with a recent release? If you're still having trouble, we invite you to create a support ticket (https://support.tryshift.com/new) so that our team can look in to the issue.

J.d. M.
Industry: Education Management
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

I use it everyday

Reviewed on 22/10/2019

Pros

- Easily go between different email accounts without frustration, especially if you often go between different google accounts
- Utilizes other accounts like todoist, facebook messenger, evernote, whatsapp, and icloud notes

Cons

- Dashlane still isn't integrated
- Sometimes has difficulty with gmail accounts that require your organizations log-in on your organizations webpage.
- I can only have one shift window open at a time. This limits the ability to use shift to have both your calendar and email open at the same time, other than the limited ability already available in a browser gmail window.
- Shift is, in some ways, a glorified web browser...so in that sense it's probably over priced. If you only use one email account everyday, Shift isn't worth the money.

Tess C.
Industry: E-Learning

All Communication in One Window

Reviewed on 15/10/2019

Communication integration and streamlined view of all of my project activities.

Pros

I open Shift and all of my email / calendar accounts are present. I can move through each easily and communicate fluidly with all of my stake-holders. Most of my project management activities are integrated through attachable apps. (Wrike, DigitalOcean, DropBox, Google Suite, Slack, Git, even Facebook, & Amazon.)

Cons

It has easily become a staple while working. My only recommendation for improvement would be the function to show all calendar events on one calendar in addition to the individuals.

Beth B.
Industry: Human Resources

Named Appropriately: Switch Gears Easily with Shift

Reviewed on 16/10/2019

Pros

I really like the ease of use of the application. I like not having a million tabs open on my internet browser. I love being able to shift from what I was looking for in my email account to any given application and switching back without losing my place.

Cons

Currently having an issue with Shopify app asserting that my Chrome is out of date inside of Shift - even after the update. Doesn't seem to have the same issue when using Chrome as a standalone. Not sure if the problem is within Shift or Shopify.

One feature I hope they add is the ability to "group" sets of applications to a company. I have many clients and while I love the labeling feature so I know what I'm looking at, being able to group things together would be amazing!

Response from Redbrick Technologies

Thank you for your review! We're glad you're finding it easy to switch between email and applications in Shift. Has your Shopify issue been resolved? If not, feel free to submit a support ticket here: https://support.tryshift.com/new. We are working hard on adding a workspaces-type feature that will allow you to group sets of applications. Stay tuned for updates!

Steven D.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Saves me 1 'unit' of energy each day in "switching costs"

Reviewed on 15/10/2019

Delightful. Honestly from going to their website, downloading the free version of the software, buying the upgraded version, using it....it's all been easy and enjoyable

Pros

It saves me time and energy each day as it allows me to SHIFT between the major tools and platforms I work from.

Fast, easy, light. I love it.

Cons

I learned right after paying for it that there is another software called Station that is similar and free. There are some tools + platforms I use that do not (yet) integrate with Shift.

Response from Redbrick Technologies

Thanks for the review! We're glad to hear that you're saving time and energy because of Shift. We are always adding tools and platforms to Shift. If you have some specific apps you'd like to see, feel free to reach out and we can get them in our roadmap.

Jason C.

Shift is What I Always Wanted

Reviewed on 26/10/2019

Pros

I searched for a solution to my multiple email problem for a long time before discovering Shift. I've got four "check all of the time" email accounts and switching from Gmail to Gmail, then Outlook, then Google Drive then to Calendar - it was maddening. I am so happy with the place I go for all of it now - Shift.

Adding in the fact that I can put my Google Voice controls in there as well - it's such a game changer when it comes to efficiency.

Cons

The only negative thing I can think of is how often I have to re-login to some of my Gmail accounts while in Shift. It happens less and less and it's once every few days when it does happen.

Danny G.
Industry: Mining & Metals

I like it. I might it. I can live without

Reviewed on 11/02/2020

It's GUI is less messy than the tab bar of a web browser. It's prettier.

Pros

Shift is an app browser and email account "shifter". It most useful fonctionnality is to jump from one web email inbox to an another web email inbox from the same domain. Essentially it's a GUI that allow you to jump from one web app to another without the risk of closing the tab by mistake and having to login again.

Cons

Lacks integration with Roboform when I visit a web site from one of it's app. I didn't find an option to always open links in email in my default browser. Too much integration with Google apps. The price is high for what it does.

Adam M.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Shift into a higher gear

Reviewed on 21/10/2019

Overall Shift has improved the way I work and made it easier.

Pros

It's awesome that I have most of my core webbased platforms all in one place. It makes it easier to keep track of all of my communication. It also performs better than running Gmail in the browser.

Cons

Nothing really at this point. Every once in awhile I'll run into an extension or Google add-on that isn't supported but the Shift team is very open to suggestions.

Industry: Higher Education

21 Fewer Tabs Open

Reviewed on 18/12/2017

Pros

Shift has actually changed my life. Being able to easily have access to all of my GMail accounts without having to log in and out of them constantly has definitely made me more efficient. I adore that Shift is always improving and updating, adding pulgins and such that make it the easy choice for email.

Cons

Sometimes when opening certain drive items, it opens them up in the browser, prompting you to have to log into the proper account again. I can't figure out how to stop that but honestly, it's minimal compared to how annoying logging in and out used to be when I just used my browser for all my email accounts.

Tony D.
Industry: Entertainment

Múltiple Gmail Accounts

Reviewed on 15/10/2019

It honesty saves me time, everything is in one page- and overall- I do like the interface

Pros

I love the simplicity of having multiple Gmail accounts logged in and not have 10 windows open- easy to access G-drive- and other software like Frame.io

Cons

Maybe I don’t see it, but I need a refresh button, wether for the page I’m on, or for the entire account page

Response from Redbrick Technologies

Thank you for the review! We're excited that you love the simplicity of Shift and that it is saving you time. You have likely found it by now, but there is a refresh button on the top bar. If you have any questions about the refresh button, or any other issues with Shift, feel free to reach out.

Sherry G.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Long time Shift User

Reviewed on 15/10/2019

Pros

Allows me to manage multiple gmail accounts easily from my desktop

Cons

Nothing so far that has caused me to dislike Shift

Chris C.
Industry: Computer Software

Order into chaos

Reviewed on 22/10/2019

Pros

As the founder of a non profit, a software consultant, and human being in the internet age i have multiple email accounts, a variety of instant messengers, both personal and professional, and different communications accounts like twitter. It's just too much to keep track of in multiple windows or tabs in a browser.

Shift allows me to quickly switch between all my methods of communication.

I also find it psychologically jarring and exhausting switching between so many apps. Shift unifies everything into a single environement.

Cons

It is a little cumbersome to transfer information from one app to the other. I'd like to be able to "tear out" an app so I can see two things at once, or drag and drop between apps.

Response from Redbrick Technologies

Thank you for your review! It's exciting to hear that you're managing email accounts, messengers and apps in Shift. "Tear away" windows are in our roadmap, so stay tuned for updates!

Chris P.
Industry: Computer Software

The central platform that powers all of my company's software in one place.

Reviewed on 17/10/2019

Pros

I used to be one of those people who had 20+ tabs open on my browser at all times. One for each of my emails, calendars, and all the internal software I use for my company. Now that i'm on shift I only use my browser for one-off items.

Shift has streamlined my entire workflow. I cannot imagine what life was like before Shift and will never go back to the multi-tab diaster that use to be my daily life.

I literally cannot recommend this product enough.

Cons

There is absolutely nothing to complain about.

Alyssa S.
Industry: Public Relations & Communications

Life Changer

Reviewed on 16/10/2019

Shift have optimized my productivity completely. It is night and day!

Pros

I love how easy this software is to use. I do 95% of my work through Shift now. I used to have a million tabs open and it was such a pain. Now I can do almost everything I need to without leaving Shift. There was one time I was having trouble with Shift and I contacted customer service. They were extremely helpful and fixed the problem right away. I recommended Shift to my coworker and she is in love with it. Soon we are going to try and implement it with the rest if our team.

Cons

I really have no complaints about this software. I use Timular for my timekeeping and it would be nice if they would work together but I don't know if that's a possibility.

Response from Redbrick Technologies

Thank you for the review! We're really happy to hear that you had a good experience with our customer support team. We are always adding new apps and have added Timular to the list. Stay tuned!

Industry: Telecommunications

Useful tool for people maintaining multiple accounts across different platforms

Reviewed on 14/03/2019

As I mentioned above, if you are managing multiple accounts, email accounts, social media, log-ins for clients etc. It can be a great tool to gain back organization and control.

Pros

I truly enjoyed the ease and simplicity of shift. When I was using Shift I was a personal assistant and had many different accounts/emails and logins to keep track of and this simplified everything for me. I lreally liked it.

Cons

I thought it still had a little ways to go in terms of UI and interface. Sometimes appeared clunky, so while simple, not 100% seamless

Kristin R.

One Stop Shop

Reviewed on 23/10/2019

The overall experience has been great! I had one issue that required customer service, and that was easy to accomplish and went smoothly and quickly. Using the application every day is great!

Pros

I like how easy it is to have all of my emails in one application, along with my most frequently used other websites and apps. It makes it very easy to make sure I stay on top of all of my work and personal communications.

Cons

The emails make me often resign in and reauthorize shift accessing my emails.

Kathryn K.
Industry: Consumer Services

Game changer!

Reviewed on 16/10/2019

I'm far more productive because all of my email accounts and calendars are together.

Pros

I literally can't imagine running my business without Shift! I have multiple email accounts across multiple clients and having all of them together makes it so much easier to stay organized. And, no more having to have multiple tabs open in my browser!

Cons

The only thing that kind of bugs me is it opens attachments in another tab, but it's not even that bad.

Eva K.
Industry: Translation & Localization
Company size: Self Employed

All your apps in one place, but...

Reviewed on 27/11/2020

Despite the downsides, I couldn't find anything,ng better for my needs and it works for my day-to-day use. Just the calendar tool would be amazing!

Pros

I can finally see all of my different emails in one place, plus WhatsApp, Asana, Trello... No more 100s of tabs open or 100s of desktop apps.

Cons

No unified calendar option, that's really something I'm missing... and actually for 99 euros a year, I feel like it's a little deceiving. It's basically just a unified browser and not a real app where you integrate your emails, calendars etc. in.

Response from Shift Technologies Inc.

Hi Eva,

Thank you for the review and the great suggestion! A unified calendar would certainly be a nice addition to Shift.