Sigma

Collaborative business intelligence and data analytics tool

4.2 /5 (77 reviews) Write a Review!
4.2
4.6
3.9
3.9
4.7
Mia O.
Industry: Automotive

Turns non-technical business users into data power users

Reviewed on 26/06/2019

Stellar overall experience. The Sigma team makes a massive effort to truly understand and design around customer needs and use cases, as well as to provide hands-down the best customer support and training I have ever received from a B2B vendor, period.

Pros

The ability to connect to any data number of data sources across our enterprise data warehouse to extract useful insights for my team. Without a line of coding I can report, analyze, and visualize data from our CRM, IoT data streams, 3rd party APIs, and now .csv uploads. The full access is balanced by perfect row-level security controls so I can use the same system to power data dashboards and portals for internal teams as I do for external clients.

Cons

The upside of being able to access ALL data streams leads to a downside -- it can take a long time to process and load information. However I look forward to data materialization features in the works which will eliminate this problem.

Kyle T.
Industry: Venture Capital & Private Equity

Great product and better value

Reviewed on 15/09/2020

Pros

Compared to competitors I found Sigma to be much more straightforward with regard to database connections and dashboard building. No complex data warehousing layer, or reporting databases to instrument / sync, it simply reads from whatever db you assign and syncs in real time. While there is still a learning curve, the excel-like functions make it friendlier to business users who are not familiar with SQL to enable them to build custom reports rather than only viewing. While there isn't a "team" assigned to you for onboarding like other tools offer, I have found adhoc email and chat support to be good enough, and certainly worth the $ saved compared to other 'implementation costs' that often come with or are built in to the pricing of competitive products.

Cons

The team/user permissioning and management could be more straightforward.

Luke B.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Excel for your data warehouse

Reviewed on 18/07/2019

I help B2B SaaS startup founders and CMOs with their customer data platforms and reporting.

The ability to create additional columns on your data containing custom formulas and the ability to sort and filter on multiple columns is great.

One of my clients uses Sigma and I’ve been extremely impressed at how easy and quickly it is to build reports on multiple tables of data without writing any complex SQL. For example, sessionization of page view and event time series data is a complex SQL query which can be performed within a few minutes in Sigma without any knowledge of SQL. It’s a great tool for business users.

Pros

I’ m very impressed at Sigma’s ease of use for building reports from my clients data warehouse running on Snowflake. If you can use Excel, and understand the data in your database you can be up and running extremely quickly without having to write SQL queries or any code to describe your database.

Cons

As with any tool there is a learning curve to the interface, but since it’s similar to a spreadsheet, it’s quick to learn.

Theres no feature yet to save custom formulas to be used across worksheets so you’ll have to copy and paste them for now.

Gary B.
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Two month review

Reviewed on 15/09/2020

So far, I have loved it. For a month of experience, I feel very empowered to create the reports necessary to drive the business.

Pros

Love the simplicity of creating reoccurring reports and setting them up for automated delivery.

Cons

Some of the more complex formulas can be difficult to create, however the support has helped immensely. Only other con would be some of the output formats. one of the largest issues I still have is to output to a format that includes the entire list of (pick a column)

Alec P.
Industry: Computer Software

Sigma is a powerful tool

Reviewed on 01/06/2020

I have been able to expand my personal skillset with sigma and work towards better data insights.

Pros

Sigma offers a great way for me to explore tables in our database and visualize those insights. Building worksheets and converting those sheets into dashboards have been very valuable for me.

Cons

There is a learning curve here. It may take a while to get completely comfortable using the product. Once you do, the possibilities for data analytics expand.

Joanne P.

Up and Coming Software

Reviewed on 01/06/2020

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] have been great to work with and always ready to help us. Support is not an issue :-)

Pros

Integration with Snowflake, Ability to load data files, Ability to analyze large data sets, Excel like functions

Cons

Dashboards are a little quirky and limited on drill down capabilities; heat maps are missing; and other features expected in a BI tool; need more training options

Josy C.
Industry: Computer Software

Sigma from a user's perspective

Reviewed on 14/12/2020

It is good lightweight tools to understand data and stats about the data.

Pros

It is easy to set up reports, charts and graphs. I can drill down from graphs to worksheet easily and get detailed information

Cons

When we have more data (like one year's transaction), the queries take longer time; sometimes it times out.

Ashlie R.
Industry: Apparel & Fashion

I appreciate the customization options.

Reviewed on 03/07/2019

My overall experience has been positive, there is definitely a learning cure for the non-analytical.

Pros

I appreciate being able to start with a report created by our analytics team and tweak it to suit my department's needs.

Cons

The filters can sometimes be confusing until you get the hang of how the software thinks.

Betsy W.

Great Potential

Reviewed on 27/06/2019

We're starting to think of problems we can solve, but having disorganization in your company's data doesn't make it easier.

Pros

The ease of combining data sets and manipulating data in a way that makes sense to me.

Cons

It's not super user-friendly. I don't have a ton of experience with SQL and I feel like I am limited.

Shae R.

Decent

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 21/09/2020

Pros

For the tools that it provides, Sigma is very useful. Whether it is better than other options remains to be seen, but it is a decent choice for data collection and analysis.

Cons

It is not the most user-friendly and takes a fair amount of time to set up reports in exactly the way you need. It could be far more flexible.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Allen H.
Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Sigma review

Reviewed on 07/09/2019

Pros

Connection to Snowflake, good UI, can make adjustments / calculations to columns

Cons

Functionality is not as robust as I'd like (e.g. lacking some charting capaciblities)

Kevin F.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care

Good Product

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 16/09/2020

Pros

It's really good for its spreadsheet like interface

Cons

Hard to replace data sources, no calculations on pivot tables

Nicholas M.
Industry: E-Learning

Incredible power and flexibility

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 17/12/2020

I am obsessed with Sigma, by far my favorite BI tool I've used. It let me do calculations myself that would usually require whole cycles of data requests, and affords me much more flexibility.

Pros

* Ability to pull any data I need or want
* Complexity of calculations possible while being easy to use
* Seriously those grouping levels are VERY powerful

Cons

* Pivot tables are the one thing they haven't aced yet - you can make them but then to calculate cased on them you need to make a new dataset and then a new sheet. You can do pretty much all the same work with just levels though so I don't miss them too often.
* I wish my default permissions could be "public" - I'm never doing anything private, so why is that the default?
* Maps could use some work. I want to color-map countries, not just display dots

Martha Q.

positively mixed feelings

Reviewed on 18/07/2019

Overall I have access to more than our previous reporting system, which is a positive. However, as self serve as it is I wish connecting tables and validating was more straightforward as a user.

Pros

I like how customizable it is. From a good basic report I can move things around to suit my needs. In addition it has many options for how to export, which is great as I use excel for more complex files & google sheets for collaborating & sharing findings.

Cons

Load times to get to a report or filter can be killer for some reports that pull from many data sources, and have large amounts of information. The permissions are a bit annoying when a report is created for me by an admin, but I am the report owner (as it was made for my department), but I can't make my own changes (w/o admin privlidges) and archive the main one. In these cases, I have to request the admin to make the changes, or make a copy and publish my own report and again contact the admin to delete or move the report so that mine is the one the team goes to first.

Tania R.

Using Sigma as a Software developer

Reviewed on 27/06/2019

I think is a nice tool, is easy to use and it's fast. You can load your data and start analyzing it very fast, also, it's a nice tool for non technical users, but when I need more features or power I rather to use Data Studio

Pros

Is an easy to use software, I liked that it's very fast, I don't have to wait to start seeing the data

Cons

It needs more features, specially to migrate the worksheets to different environments, also it has a very limited number of functions. Sometimes the error messages are not very descriptives, so we can't know what's happening or how to solve it (we had a worksheet with an error like: "the joins are not efficient", something like that, so that message was kind of useless)

Jad H.
Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Decent features, need to cater to code-less users

Reviewed on 29/05/2020

Pros

the customer service chat button was nice

Cons

the way of drag and drop report building is not intuitive

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Sam J.

Incredibly Useful Tool for data analysis and workflow

Reviewed on 27/06/2019

Pros

The speed with which I'm able to pull together disparate data and generate some useful insights.

The Dashboard functionality has been particularly useful in creating reporting our teams can use with customers and prospects.

Cons

Version management and permissions. It's hard to keep everyone looking at the same version of a document, to view data, a document is created and generically named, so our folder system is getting very full and hard to navigate. Additionally, there's no way to tell if another user will be able to see a given document without asking them to try viewing it, and there's no way for them to request view access to that document.

Scott S.
Industry: Sports

Sigma - making SQL a visual effort

Reviewed on 27/06/2019

It has been great. The tool fit very naturally into my companies data flow and getting _explorable_ data into stakeholders hands. We also have a more static dashboarding tool that excels at that, but is weak for exploration.
Sigma also makes my job as an analyst easier by making data sets explorable using point-n-click tools vs code

Pros

Makes 'easy' queries very easy to work on and see results visually immediately. Natural way to think about grouping objects but still showing the 'row' level data is amazing and a huge selling point on getting non data people to use the sheets shared with them.
Makes the mental structuring of large undertakings choppable into smaller to-do's and then joining sheets together

Cons

Expanding on my point in my pro's about chunking down large undertakings to smaller conceptual efforts per sheet.... this is not very performant. I have two projects where I create a base sheet and then have 2-6 sheets built off of it before potentially joining them back together to combine the aspects I've added. This however, results in the base sheet/query being run numerous times and is often times a time consuming query to begin with. In a code based environment this could be made more performant by using a WITH statement so it only has to execute once and can then be used multiple times

Joins have to be exact matches (no date comparison) and can only be on original columns from the data source. Therefore, if a column must be switched from integer to string, you have to create a reference to the sheet before being able to join to other tables.

Austin H.
Industry: Oil & Energy

Great Product

Reviewed on 06/08/2019

Pros

Ease of use and visibility is great! Love the data that we are able to pull and how easy the interface is to use.

Cons

There are a few features that I would love to see added. Mainly that when you are working with large data sets, it can be hard on the system and lead to slow processing time.

Jen D.

It works!

Reviewed on 03/07/2019

I use Sigma to manage inventory company wide across the country and it's easy to see where things are and when.

Pros

easy to see all info in one place, for multiple needs

Cons

I have no complaints about anything sigma. but we also have someone who was able to walk me through how to create different reports at my workplace

Alaia S.
Industry: Real Estate

Lots of functionality

Reviewed on 14/05/2020

Pros

Great UI and incredible functionality! Been very happy with the product so far.

Cons

Definitely a learning curve at first -- lots to learn.

Virgil S.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Sigma helps

Reviewed on 26/05/2020

Pros

I really like how easily Sigma connects with our snowflake databases, and facilitates analysis. We are growing our data and analytics practice, and Sigma helps me to respond to the innumerable ad hoc questions from the business, while allowing our team to advance our capabilities.

Cons

Currently, I write SQL to execute the LIKE function when filtering on field values. It would be great to have this feature available with wild cards in the filter part of the software.

Frank P.
Industry: Computer Software

Increase the visibility of your data across teams and find your own answer to data questions

Reviewed on 18/07/2019

I am slowly getting up to speed with Sigma but can see already that as I commit to it we will greatly increase the speed at which my team can answer questions we have regarding all of the data we are collecting. There will be a day where I will no longer have a need for Excel and Google Sheets.

Pros

Really like the ease of being able to expose our data across teams and allow each individual user to be able to answer the questions they have with the tools supplied, grouping and filters being two of the easiest and most useful for me.

Cons

Up to the this point the visualizations aka charts have been difficult for me to create, but I will admit I haven't committed to taking a deep dive into learning. Also would like to be able to annotate from within a report (eg. cell) rather than at the top level within the description.

Hugo M.
Industry: Telecommunications
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Good software to organize your KPIs

Reviewed on 15/09/2020

Good enough to push SIGMA as an organizational tool. We are currently active using it, and it has helped give our [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] enough visibility on where our challenges are.

Pros

I like the flexibility on displaying the information that makes sense the most on our organization.

Cons

There were some restrictions when showing text alongside graphs, and the toolbars didn’t allow for enough flexibility to our liking. Other than that, pretty good experience overall

Nathan C.
Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Very Convenient Software to Use but have found less use for it as we've matured as a company

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 18/07/2019

I used Sigma very often when I joined Lime in October through early 2019. However, I learned how to use SQL and was more flexibly able to use Snowflake. Going to Snowflake gave me more flexibility. So I moved away from Sigma

Pros

The software is very powerful allowing me to do things I couldn't have given my previous lack of SQL
It made sharing queries in a useable way easy

Cons

Given that we constantly updated underlying queries, version control of various worksheets was hard.
Also, sometimes Sigma was slow as I think the query ran everytime a manipulation happened

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10