Sigma Computing

Collaborative business intelligence and data analytics tool

4.2 /5 (77 reviews) Write a Review!

Joseph B.

• Customer Support Software

Great model for rapidly evolving analytics

Reviewed on 24/09/2020

Sigma is the fastest and easiest BI tool to deploy. Iteration on the semantic layer is a cinch.

Sigma is a delight to work with as a vendor. Their support is superbly responsive (during business hours - they don't have global timezone coverage yet).

Sigma's pricing model is reasonable and very friendly to orgs where 80+% of the employees need live data access.

Pros

Sigma has the right model.

From the user perspective, the columnar formula editing feels familiar enough, and the learning curve is friendly to anyone with spreadsheet experience.

From an architect perspective, the semantic layer is lightweight and easy to adapt to ever-changing schemas. The UI covers most of the functionality you'll want, and for everything else you can fall back on writing your own code, like cron strings or SQL queries. I let Sigma do probably 95% of my querying, leaving the gnarliest 5% for me to write in their SQL runner.

I do a significant amount of lightweight ELT work in Sigma as well. I like being able to write massive views that I know I'm going to have to update often, and just like Snowflake / Sigma materialize them for me. When I use Sigma to query S3 directly in the SQL runner - usually to POC some new data that hasn't made its way out to the business teams yet - this functionality is really convenient because those queries are not efficient. I just need to get new data in front of the business as quickly as possible.

Cons

Visual discovery is lacking when compared to mature tools like Tableau. Sigma needs to continue chipping away at the Tableau features around dashboarding and charting.

Michell B.

• Customer Support Software

Good price, needs more features

Reviewed on 18/07/2019

This has been a net positive for our org.

Pros

Sigma allows viewers for free, even viewers from outside your organization.

Cons

The dashboard feature is not fully built out - many features seem to be missing. For example, I can't put percents on a pie chart.

Sean P.

Revolutionary Data Tool

Reviewed on 08/07/2019

The most significant impact of Sigma has been exposing data to so many people around the business who would otherwise have had to go through the data team bottleneck, both slowing their access to data and limiting the explorability and agility of the results. However, this can be accomplished in a controlled manner with Sigma, ensuring that stakeholders only have access to vetted sources of truth procured by the data team.

Pros

- ability to explore and inspect the source data and perform sophisticated SQL functions via GUI (group, join, aggregate, etc.)
- ability to create single source of truth worksheets and build all related content off of that, instead of reinventing the wheel with every new query
- unlimited reader accounts allows usage to really take off and flourish instead of hamstringing itself

Cons

- pricing still unclear as to what constitutes an author vs a reader - based on recent conversations with Sigma I'm afraid that we are going to be upcharged on items that were never made clear to us (I am still unclear)
- new software still has its share of bugs

Krystyna S.

Highly recommended!

Reviewed on 13/05/2020

Excellent! I use it on the daily.

Pros

It's easy to use and straight forward. I'm not not only handling reports for my team but for multiple departments as well.

Cons

I'm still learning the depths but it's one of the best programs that I've had the opportunity to use. I would say the only thing that can be annoying, is the load speed. Sometimes my tables and dashboards time out.

Drake M.

Simple Yet Powerful

Reviewed on 15/09/2020

Pros

Sigma presents data in a format users already understand... a spreadsheet. The result is a BI tool that is much less intimidating than alternatives because it doesn't force users to learn a new query language.

Cons

While the basic functionality is actually pretty easy to use, some of the features are hard to find, or not that intuitive especially around formulas or more advanced features.

Yuting K.

• Customer Support Software

Good BI for basic data visualization

Reviewed on 18/07/2019

Pros

1. excel like so it's easy to pick up
2. can connect to the live database and without writing SQL query
3. can share the worksheet and schedule to send out the worksheet via email

Cons

1. it's not easy to use if you want to do a complicated report: once you aggregate multiple worksheets / refer other worksheet and apply multiple filters, it's hard to verify your result and make it in the correct format.
2. the articles to discuss the Sigma features or best practice are not comprehensive.

Eric K.

Good platform with potential

Reviewed on 26/06/2019

I like the trajectory the company is heading, and would recommend depending on fit to objective.

Pros

Sigma is a dynamic and agile system, helping us remove the use of Excel for day-to-day calculations. Their team is supportive and hands-on, which is probably the best part of the company.

Cons

Still very basic and could stand to invest further into UI.

Heather C.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Great for comprehensive reporting

Reviewed on 27/06/2019

Pros

As a marketer, Sigma is an incredibly valuable tool that allows my team to aggregate data to inform our decisions and scale up. I like the ability to drill app activity down to the user level in order to identify trends and specific user behaviors.

Cons

It can be very overwhelming! Not instantly intuitive but not hard to learn either. My biggest complaint is that it was often very slow.

Caroline M.

Sigma for Usage Reports

Reviewed on 03/07/2019

We are using sigma to pull usage data from our customer base. We rely heavily on this data in order to measure the value that the customers are getting from Yesware, identify churn risks and areas for adoption. Without Sigma, I would not be able to do my job to the best of my ability.

Pros

Access directly from the browser, quickly pulls the results I need

Cons

Sometimes it is difficult to sift through the different dashboards - this could be an internal issue

Yanwu Z.

• Customer Support Software

Great tool without sql requirements

Reviewed on 08/12/2020

We use this tool to send dashboards and reports to external clients.

Pros

This tool is very easy to set up and very intuitive for end users. Sql knowledge is not necessary, but Sigma offers the option of writing SQL statement to generate data set. The queries is sent back to cloud to execute which make Sigma allow you to quickly query vast amounts of data.

The row level data security allows us to distribute the same dashboards to different clients and each client only can see their own data.

Cons

I only use this product in a short time period and have not found anything I dislike.

Blake T.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

A vast improvement over our previous product

Reviewed on 03/07/2019

Using Sigma as a tool to prioritize asset service and inspection has been a game changer. Much better visualization tools than the competitor's product we previously used.

Pros

It is much faster and easier to read than our old reporting software

Cons

I would like the ability to modify the sort on the fly. Currently an admin has to adjust it, if it is needed

• Industry: Capital Markets

• Customer Support Software

Great tool our needs - fast and easy navigation of snowflake data, quick reporting, data...

Reviewed on 13/05/2020

Pros

Easy and intuitive user interface. Licensing is for creators, viewer usage unlimited. Visual designer for lookups and joins. Fast learning curve for non technical users. Team is super responsive. Works very well with snowflake.

Cons

Not a tableau/power bi replacement, some features still immature

Daniel D.

Sigma Review

Reviewed on 08/12/2020

Sigma was very easy to setup, integrate, configure and use with our existing data stack. It was very easy to onboard end users and get them productive quickly.

Pros

The ability to easily and conditionally schedule report exports in multiple formats targeted towards our business users.

Cons

I haven't encountered any cons so in terms of features or functions. The only gap one of our analysts identified so far is the ability to determine how a worksheet's final state came to be, specifically the exacts steps performed to created the worksheet like Power BI has.

Lauren M.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Sigma Computing Review

Reviewed on 10/07/2019

it's been ok, better than the system i was using before but certainly not the best i have used.

Pros

The options are nice to have. We also have been able to compute what we need from the report.

Cons

It is the slowest thing on the face of the earth

Courtney M.

Basic Reporting Tool

Reviewed on 28/06/2019

Pros

I like that I can pull my customer's usage with ease

Cons

I think this is mostly how our account is set up - like we haven't invested that much time to set it up but wish there were graphics pulling the data together.

Andrew B.

Easily data management

Reviewed on 27/06/2019

Pros

It was extremely easy for someone with no data experience to start using the product.

Cons

The visualization features were lacking

Shawn H.

Sigma shaved 5 hours off my monthly reporting

Reviewed on 27/06/2019

While Sigma could be great for a lot of use cases, there is one in particular that I use it for. Every month I have a summary report that I have to put together. I used to run multiple database queries, dump the data out into Excel, do some manual sorting and manipulation of the data, and then build out pivot tables so that I could see trends month over month. Sigma takes care of all of the data fetching, formatting, and styling for me (and lets me do it in a way that turns out better than I had in Excel).
Doing the reports this way, now saves me about 5 hours a month off of that monthly report that I was doing, which means that I have more time for data exploration, and spend less time with data garbage collection.

Pros

I love the ability to build out extra columns in my data visually, which lets me build pivot tables that I cannot even replicate in Excel.
Having built out tables once, I can reuse them again and again with fresh data without having to pull and manually re-translate everything like I used to do.
Having the ability to change the type of data in a column to a new structure saves me a lot of time.
Extracting JSON from my tables is a snap!

Cons

While the documentation is good, I wish there was a little better messaging around error handling. Sigma formatting is slightly different from the PostgreSQL that I am used to.
I wish that there was a little more visual punch to the charts I can make.

Jordan S.
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

• Customer Support Software

The BI tool of the future

Reviewed on 26/05/2020

Love it. We previously had Looker as our BI tool and this is a HUGE improvement over that tool. Ease of use, clarity of features, flexibility of the system are all significantly improved. Couldn't be happier with our switch, I know my whole team would say the same thing.

Pros

Ease of use, especially the ability to write custom SQL queries to build datasets and reports. The visualization builder is also very user friendly and has made throwing together dashboards for internal or external use significantly easier. Saves me and my colleagues a ton of time!

Cons

There have been some features identified by the team that we need for Enterprise-level software that were missing, many have been addressed though. A major bugbear of mine is that the filters don't seem to react to each other if there are multiple on a dashboard, they filter independently of other inputs.

Ivan S.
  • Industry: Media Production

Integration Pipeline

Reviewed on 26/05/2020

Best email marketing pipeline integration when it comes to metrics and conversion goals

Pros

It's very effective on the email marketing and CRM.

Cons

pricing can be lower but totally works.

Leon K.

• Customer Support Software

A useful tool for specific problems

Reviewed on 03/07/2019

Monthly compliance reporting handoff to non-technical individuals.

Pros

For someone who is not particularly tech savvy, Sigma is a great way to take SQL queries written by someone who is, and then be able to modify the data in real time using the sort of functionality we're all used to via Excel.

Sigma also is easy to export data from, and the scheduling functionality is quite useful for recurring reports.

Cons

Because Sigma has to re-pull data every time you open a sheet, it is incredibly slow. Certain reports can take multiple minutes to load, and once any filters are applies, it has to re-pull the report, causing those minutes to be lost again.

Because of this, it's often easier to just download all the data and then do the filtering/etc in excel/google sheets.

Kevin K.

• Customer Support Software

Great analytics product, easy to set up and use

Reviewed on 26/06/2019

Pros

Awesome team behind the product, always responsive and helpful. They've taught me a lot not only about their tool but also about data analytics.

Cons

Some UI elements could be improved, but once you know where to find certain things you'll pick it up.

Jose f. G.

• Customer Support Software

Excellent alternative to pivot tables and spreadsheets

Reviewed on 20/05/2020

So far, we've managed to simplify our business metrics visualization and enabled querying that information to non-technical users which is a big win.

Pros

I like that it's easy to create customized views of Data without having to expose unnecesary information as noise. I love the simple UI to build new reports and the smart filters.

Cons

Getting the data into Sigma can be daunting at first, but it's worth it in the end. If you're struggling I recommend to keep trying.

Samuel H.

Sigma - Ease of use

Reviewed on 07/05/2020

Sigma is a great way to share smaller sets of data. It allows me to prepare for my clients by pulling together reports quickly in an easy format.

Pros

The software is pretty easy and intuitive, except for the UI, at first. You don't really need much training on instruction, making it easy for you to play around with until you get the idea.

Cons

Sometimes when I have put things into the CSV filter they end up in the wrong place. Also the UI is kind of weird if you've never used it, but I was able to get used to it fairly quickly.

Wallace S.

Solid BI Tool to use for Enterprise Analytics

Reviewed on 08/07/2019

The customer support has been very nice and prompt. The product has even evolved with ideas that we have asked for. The overall product and development team is very receptive and responsive to customer needs.

Pros

The ease of hook up to my database. Ease of report building. Use of functions and how it can interpret dates.

Cons

Dashboard to dashboard they cannot communicate and dashboards have a little different functionality than worksheets. Sigma is still very young in age and I am sure things will change.

Kera L.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Customized Reporting

Reviewed on 25/09/2020

Allows independent reporting and analysis to meet recurring business needs.

Pros

Enjoy the ability to customize reports and drill down data to your specific needs. Can update and refresh data month after month without starting from scratch.

Cons

A little overwhelming for first time users and requires a lot of hands on practice to establish a comfort level. Download time increases as more data is being manipulated.