Zimbra

Enterprise collaboration and online community software.

4.4 /5 (66 reviews) Write a Review!
4.4
4.5
4.2
4.2
3.9
Syed arbab W.
Industry: Banking
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Its a good product with low cost on-premise mailing and collaboration suite!!

Reviewed on 17/04/2018

Our organization is based on Linux with end user using the same and we really don;t want to go MS Exchange option so we left with choices of Lotus Notes (Which is a very good yet expensive product), Novell groupwise and Zimbra. Having tested Zimbra around more than 10 years ago we choose this. It has the flexibility to provide mobile base, thick client and thin web base client. So it was good choice and we are quite satisfied with our decision back then

Pros

Its scale-able, robust, secure and low cost. Based on Postfix and other opensource packages it provides good emailing solution. All the included packages are thoroughly tested before included in release. With most of the world going to cloud for email for the organizations need low cost yet secure and scale-able on premise mailing solution Zimbra is a good option. It has very good Web base UI which is very easy to use. There is no performance issues. Visibility with logs is very good . Zimlets are very cool features you can add on

Cons

The support is a bit so so maybe because of change of so many owners of the company. The web ui can use skin option to make it look and feel like different email platform in the market, e.g. if someone is use to outlook or gmail ui then a them/skin could provide that

Umar F.

Best Email Server

Reviewed on 19/06/2020

Its a best application i can say over all a great experience in best price using since 4years no major issue that i experienced till now. It helps to keep the back up of all your important mails avoid spam mails and the best thing it is compatible with multiple devices and browsers.

Pros

Its an open source server for email and web client which is designed for browser based interface.I can say its really cheap compare to other email servers. It helps you to create calendars, create backup of important file and also easy document storage. The compatibility with multiple devices and browser is the best feature of Zimbra.

Cons

Sometimes we get bugs when any new update comes to fix that they really take long time which is the only drawback that i feel till now.

Tanmay K.

Simplistic, Cost Efficient approach towards Email communication

Reviewed on 01/08/2018

- Functionality of sending and receiving mails
- Appointments in Calendar
- helped me in developing my basing understanding of mail clients
- helped me in performing my daily work as our business runs through Zimbra

Pros

1. Open Source - Easy to Configure, Less capital needed, less memory Consuming and Secure
2. simplicity - the user interface is very friendly no need to introduce people on how to use it.
3. Functionality - availability of important basic functions like Calendar, Document Storage and mail backup is already there and is very easy to use .
4. ease - can be configured according to business requirements and use
5. Stability

Cons

1. Can Include many functionalities and add ons.
2. Hard to configure shared mailboxes and DL's
3. Cannot handle huge data and less storage space
4. GUI can be much improved

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Pedro luis Q.

Simple, versatile and efficient.

Reviewed on 05/07/2018

Thanks to this software they have improved the relationships in our work team. Its diverse tools allow us to better plan our activities and keep us permanently communicated. Very good.

Pros

It is an economic software and very comfortable to work with. It is an easily accessible platform capable of integrating the most demanded requirements in an institution such as: mail, contacts, shared calendar and online documents. It is quite practical.

Cons

It is not the best option to integrate to mobile devices. I think it has several limitations when it comes to entering the Zimbra from a smart phone when compared to running on a desktop computer.

Carlos j. D.
Industry: Apparel & Fashion
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

A very useful e-mail, agenda, and collaboration tool

Reviewed on 06/08/2018

This is a useful program that solves your communication needs and helps keep you up to date with your emails, your meetings, and your daily tasks

Pros

It doesn't require a program to be installed in your computer, and you can have access to it where ever you need to: Laptop, PC, Tablet, Phone. It can sync your personal calendar in your cell phone and keep you updated about your meetings, Task list, and reminders. You can filter e-mails by folders, and there is also a downloadable local version in case you need to work off-line.

Cons

It does not have a wide variety of themes.

Anton G.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Great for small orgs that can't justify the cost of paid email suites

Reviewed on 28/08/2019

Pros

Great for small orgs that can't justify the cost of paid email suites but want the features that they may have become used to with Exchange/Outlook. The web app is pretty damned good, and the Zimbra Desktop app for Windows/Mac/etc is serviceable if you need to manage multiple accounts.

Cons

Requirement for extra apps on Android for CalDAV/CardDAV support as ActiveSync is only available in the paid (Network Edition).

Luca F.
Industry: Computer & Network Security
Company size: Self Employed

Easy to use and full of features

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 02/11/2018

I used Zimbra in my previous company and I liked the suite very much because it offered almost anything you'd need from an on-premise mail server. It also had some extra features like its own cloud support to share documents and files amongst users.
The paid version also came with the connector for Outlook allowing users keep using their standard mail client application.
I never had any issue to configure my email account on my mobile phones either through the MS Exchange protocol compatibility.
It also comes with a rich web interface.
Now it should also integrate a chat/conference and a document collaboration features but they were not available yet when I was using Zimbra so I can't tell anything about them.

Pros

Easy for the users
It has its own cloud-like file sharing feature
It works on almost any kind of device through standalone clients or rich web client.

Cons

Being Linux based it might be a bit harder to set-up and configure for Microsoft oriented admins

Amir M.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Best and fast server for Emailing.

Reviewed on 09/08/2019

In short, Zimbra is a perfect tool to stay connected and can be used in a firm where you need to send and receive information. It is fast and you can send email to multiple contacts. Zimbra customer service is also very good.

Pros

Fast and reliable.
Multiple options like attachments, font and color change.
Sending email to multiple contacts at the same time.

Cons

User interface should be more eye catchy.
Sometimes, we face trouble sending emails and page needs to be refreshed

Peter W.
Industry: Education Management

All my colleagues and I use Zimbra everyday for our communication and cooperation.

Reviewed on 11/10/2017

Pros

I like the implementation of various tools in Zimbra - I use mail, chat, calendar and briefcase in my everyday work.

Carlos R.
Industry: Research

Trustworthy

Reviewed on 03/02/2017

If you need an e-mail server, which you can use along with software like thunderbird, and able to manage calendars (work meetings), easy to use then you are in the indicated option.

Industry: Computer Software

Great for Scheduling

Reviewed on 18/01/2019

Pros

I like that the layout can give me a full range of scheduling cababilities. It helps to be able to have different days laid out on the sheet for one person and that I can go back and forth. The layout makes sense for keeping people organized and aware of what is happening next on their calendar. I also like that I can easily flow between one person's agenda and the next rather than having everyone's schedule on one calendar and having color coordination. I think Zimbra is much simpler in that way.

Cons

I can't say that there's anything I dislike about it so far. It has been easy to use for our purposes.

Les M.
Industry: Oil & Energy

Very cool

Reviewed on 24/01/2019

It's easy to deploy, easy to be a admin and is very secure that is the real problem of the auto-admin mail systems.

Pros

Email setup is a synch and it has many customization abilities overall that really help. Contacts are made easy to access. I also like the ability to calendar share.

Cons

I wish I could share documents straight from the briefcase tool. That would be helpful!

Cynthia R.
Industry: Information Services
Company size: 10,000+ Employees

Zimbra Transition

Reviewed on 03/02/2019

Zimbra was chosen as a preferred suite for our company because it allows for a simple client that every member of our workforce could use without feeling overwhelmed with Outlook or Office 365. With Zimbra it has been easier to encourage collaboration with different teams and team members. More experienced team members who need or desire the muscles of Outlook and easily set Zimbra in Outlook.

Pros

Ok lets begin with the good. Zimbra is a suite that comes with the basic calendar, contact list and the ability to create tasks. It allows you to set reminders, tasks and appointments and share them with coworkers quickly. This is perhaps the best features of this software. It is a relatively simple program without all the bells and whistles of the beast known as Outlook. It is the simplicity of this software and security that makes it ideal for our company. We have just migrated to Zimbra and the roll out for the most part was successful. One thing I absolutely love about Zimbra is the ability to set it up in Outlook. This gives me the collaboration within my team using Zimbra and the features I've come to love in Outlook.

Cons

If you are use to the larger and more powerful collaboration suite known as Office 365, you'll be a bit disappointed with Zimbra. Zimbra is not going to search for you, talk for you or keep your emails forever. What you'll find is a simple program that allows you to collaborate with your coworkers and management without the bells and whistles. It can be a disappointment if you're use to a larger suite. Communication is limited to just responding to an email, and emails are set to a 30 day retention limit. You can use a "Zimlet" to capture and save emails however. As stated above being able to incorporate Zimbra into Outlook is a way to overcome some of the limitations of Zimbra.

Deepak M.
Company size: 10,000+ Employees

Light weight, Cost-effective & User-Friendly Web-Email Collaboration product

Reviewed on 31/01/2019

While working in previous organization, came across this web based product, specially due to its open source nature, and easier to learn. It helped a great deal in being up-to-date by tracking official mails.It has all the features that an basic web email client needs to have.

Specially during the times we were connected to VPN, it used to easily work even in low or restricted network connectivity.It had easier and user-friendly User Interface, including refresh button, to force reload emails as per convenience.

Pros

1. Specially the optimized nature of it to work on limited or lower network connectivity like VPN,

2. Cost effective and Opensource nature.

Cons

User Interface was laggy sometimes. It has sort of older look and feel compared to other open source email collaboration products.

Sometimes it was not able to filter junk mails effectively compared microsoft exchange service.

Andrea W.
Industry: Computer Software

Reliable email manager!

Reviewed on 17/08/2019

Zimbra is simply outstanding and easy to implement. It can also be used for data storage and sharing.

Pros

Zimbra is our email manager. Our team uses it daily to send and receive emails, it is a very productive solution for internal and external communication. What I like the best about Zimbra are its splendid storage volume and the mobile version. Our colleague has access to emails even when they are traveling or away from the office.
Also, it is easy to manage for us and supports all the major platforms. Zimbra is fast and convenient.

Cons

The Mobile Version of Zimbra can really use an upgrade, we can only send messages and cannot attach files. I'm hoping Zimbra would upgrade their phone app very soon.

Estefanie arlet M.

Zimbra Collaboration Suite is a very useful communication tool that groups several functions.

Reviewed on 25/05/2018

Simply Zimbra Collaboration Suite is the best way to stay connected in the institution where I work. The planning of activities as well as the contact information of the different employees is centralized through this program. It is easier to communicate with the Zimbra Collaboration Suite.

Pros

The biggest advantage offered by Zimbra Collaboration Suite is the ability to communicate with other users by integrating various tools such as email, contact book, task planning and calendar in a single software and with a very simple interface.

Cons

Although Zimbra Collaboration Suite is a great software, sometimes it presents operating problems that are resolved by closing and opening the browser from where you work. Another aspect to improve is the design of the interface from the aesthetic point of view. It's simple but unattractive to look at.

this tool has helped me in many ways especially as I use it daily to review my messages .

Reviewed on 28/02/2018

Pros

* I agree with the following points:
1- The general presentation menu is quite friendly to the eye., as well as its versatility to be used in cell phones.
2- I like the easy installation and the web administrative console which can be used for many admin tasks. The Desktop app is great and easy to use.

Cons

* I agree with the following points:
1- Sometimes there are some glitches in Zimbra, but in most cases clearing cache and restarting browser helps to solve them.
2- Hard to customize the installation, lost data when I needed to migrate to another server. The API uses XML-RPC which is not easy to use, JSON is a lot easier.

Paola M.

It is a software that groups several functions allowing communication to be more effective

Reviewed on 03/07/2018

Thanks to Zimbra I have been able to keep better communication with my teammates and at the same time I have improved my ability to plan thanks to the tools that this software has. It has been a great alternative.

Pros

It has a very intuitive interface that makes this software an easy tool to use. In the same way its installation is very simple. Account with contacts, chat and tasks in addition to their email service. It is available for several platforms. It is accessible in terms of price

Cons

One aspect to improve is the interface design. I think it's somewhat antiquated if we compare it with other software of this type in the market.

Gilberto G.
Industry: Civil Engineering

It is an innovative email messaging and collaboration suite. It is the free software solution

Reviewed on 10/03/2018

Pros

It is an innovative email messaging and collaboration suite. The powerful Zimbra web client integrates email, contacts, shared calendar. Another of Zimbra's functionality is connectivity with proprietary clients such as Microsoft Outlook. It is the free software solution

Cons

It has a unique password that compromises all services. If the directory server falls, we can not access the services

Industry: Apparel & Fashion

E-mail made easy

Reviewed on 09/10/2018

Zimbra E-mail is very, very easy to use. Our little complaints are just nitpicky and isn't serious. We've been using Zimbra e-mail for over 5 years and have not had any major issuer. Our organization plans on keeping this service for years to come.

Pros

It is a basic e-mail system, quick, easy, great way to keep in touch with your staff.

Cons

it looks old, could look better, needs to be updated. I do wish it could handle e-mails with larger files. Desktop notification would be a great addon.

Hemant A.
Industry: Photography
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Good software to increase productivity

Reviewed on 11/06/2019

My overall experience is good. Actually very good in terms of value for money. I would recommend for others. Organizations that very big can afford others, but I think market segment for zimbra is different

Pros

Easy to organize things. I like the way you can tag and create a note for yourself

Cons

Sometimes it lags, maybe because I use browser based rather than the dextop app

Great program for non expensive web client

Reviewed on 22/03/2018

Pros

Great for company that does not want expensive email web client. Does everything you want in an email client. Never had system crash and is pretty decent.

Cons

Not an exchange. restriction list is a bit weird. not easy to migrate to a newer version. backups of emails is a bit difficult.

Rene M.
Industry: E-Learning
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

The new version of Zimbra is the best and most complete tool for emails

Reviewed on 09/10/2019

It is a good software to connect to the equipment through group chats, where even the creation of channels based on videoconferences is allowed. In addition, it can be used to share documents online. It is also recommended to synchronize and store all the information of our work through its own cloud, Zimbra Drive.

Pros

Zimbra is an open source software that only needs a server within GNU or Linux to fully deploy. Version 8.8.15 of ximbra collaboration is much broader in terms of mobility for calendars and events in general.

Cons

The zimbra suite does not have many key functions for working with document editions directly in real time, or for the execution of discussion forums among our team employees. Nor does it include a labeling system through social media.

Jardel S.
Industry: Government Administration

Email Service

Reviewed on 06/12/2019

One area of ​​the company was migrated to the zimbra service to unburden the other platform we use and we had a great result with the union of the two email services.

Pros

The highlight of the zimbra email service is the ease of using other mailboxes next to your main email.

Cons

Security in calendar sharing and distribution list.

Laura B.
Industry: Consumer Services

Zimbra Email software review

Reviewed on 14/12/2018

Pros

I love the ease of use of zimbra. Flawless and functional.

Cons

I wish there was a mobile app so that I can check my work emails on the go.