Nowsta

Workforce management tool to handle payroll & work shifts

4.9/5
4.7/5
4.8/5
Customer Support Software
4.9/5

Amanda Z.

• Customer Support Software

This app has been game changing for how we communicate with staff.

Reviewed on 20/07/2018

Pros

I like the ease of use as a Coordinator. My time spent scheduling has shrunk majorly, leaving me more time to focus on recruiting, on-boarding and training. The calendar makes it really easy for me to see what my week looks like. The sorting function help me isolate events to more easily see events. Even the color and font choices used in the apps is pleasing to the eye!

The support from the Nowsta team has been amazing. They always respond within minutes through their direct messaging function and not only resolve the issue, but are a blast to work with.

It's been a year that we have used the software and there have been endless improvements to functionality. They have expanded the system in many ways, allowing us to change our payroll functions and save money. Many times, we have seen areas for improvement, have sent the Nowsta team suggestions and then seen the tweaks in the app a few weeks later. The team at Nowsta is the ultimate example of continuous improvement.

My staff really enjoys using the app and it has actually been a help in hiring as well. I mention it during the interview and I have seen candidates' faces light up with excitement that we schedule with such a convenient form of communication.

Cons

The timeclock function on the app can be buggy and not record proper times, but I let the Nowsta team know and it's usually fixed right away. It's also an easy fix as a Coordinator, to adjust the times on the desktop.

Katie S.

Pier Sixty

Reviewed on 05/01/2022

Overall, I have truly enjoyed using Nowsta opposed to an Excel sheet that always made my computer crash! Not only has it been easy for me to use, but my staff as well!

Pros

I love how easy it is to use, and I love the physical layout of the software. I found that it was very visually appealing which makes it easier to use daily. I also enjoy how easy the app is for my staff. I appreciate that they can receive both notifications from the app and emails for the older staff members who don't use their phones as much. Very user friendly all around!

Cons

I wish that I could attach files on the event for only certain staff members, rather than everyone working that event. Sometimes I would like to give the captains the menu in advance and the bartenders the bar layouts but not everyone else because I do not want the servers to see the prices of each event.

Ranita R.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

easy to excess

Reviewed on 03/12/2021

Using for 5 months, feeling comfortable and get information about report, time & attendance.

Pros

making labor report everyday by using Nowsta app

Cons

Time & Attending for clock in-clock out by mobile excess

Rosemary A.

Great Software

Reviewed on 08/10/2021

Really good!

Pros

Scheduling, worker profiles and availability

Cons

I'd like to be able to print out a user friendly format for reviewing staff performance based on event notes and staff notes

Jennifer O.

Scheduling Software You Need that your Grandma could use

Reviewed on 09/12/2021

Nowsta is always very quick to respond to questions. I feel like they really listen to their customers and take our enhancement requests seriously.

Pros

Nowsta is a full service scheduling program that integrates with our catering software. It is an amazing tool for scheduling different levels of staff for multiple events at multiple locations. But it does not stop at the scheduling step. Nowsta is also our time clock and produces all the reports we need for direct import into our payroll system. It even allows our employees to cash out prior to our regular payroll date. Nowsta is also a fantastic data bank for our employee records and it has great tools for communicating with our entire staff at one time and/or the staff of a specific event. We used to have a program for scheduling, one for time and attendance, and none for employee communication. Now we have Nowsta and we love it!

Cons

I do not like the mileage feature in Time and Attendance. It is based on time instead of distance. I would love for Nowsta to be able to calculate the driving distance from an employee's home to the venue they are working at so we could compensate for miles driven.
Also our tips are often not received until after an event has taken place. I'd like to have a way of entering tip income for employees when we get it but still have it associated with the event they worked.

Eric S.
  • Industry: Security & Investigations

Using Nowsta for Security

Reviewed on 16/11/2021

I used Nowsta in my previous role as Director of Operations for a catering company, and am now using it in the special event space for the security industry. The types of employees and scheduling utilized in each industry are vastly different, but Nowsta has been a great tool in both spaces. Particularly for security, the app allows me to assemble a vast pool of potential workers for irregularly scheduled events, greatly increasing my ability to ensure appropriate staffing levels.

Pros

Nowsta is extremely easy to set up and use. The interface for the administrator is effective, while the app and interactions with the users make it easy for them to stay current with scheduling. The customization options for roles and permissions provide a high level of precision in accomplishing specific goals.

Cons

I would like to see the ability to categorize groups of positions together with one click, to save the time of clicking each individually for each employee. I would also like to be able to edit email addresses in the system in the cases where I have made a typo or the employee is locked out of their email account.

Meg C.
  • Industry: Legal Services

• Customer Support Software

Nowsta helped me expand my business

Reviewed on 03/12/2021

Because I am not spending hours trying to schedule multiple jobs, this has freed up time for me to source more business, hire and train more people.

Pros

I like the weekly view to see who is available when scheduling and the Events page to see if we have any days open to schedule new projects.

Cons

I really wish on the Weekly View that there was a way that the team could put in when they can not work as well as when they can. My team and our work are flexible but I always have to call the team member to see if they could possibly make it an hour earlier to meet a vendor or if we can switch the days they want off and they can tell me if they have no flexibility on certain days.

Linda D.

• Customer Support Software

Essential to our business!

Reviewed on 17/11/2021

10/10! We recommend Nowsta to so many of our colleagues!

Pros

We love how easy Nowsta is to use, not only on an administrative end but for our employees as well!

As a full service off-premise catering company, we use Nowsta to build events into our calendar, staff, track hours and attendance, share details about each event. We can sometimes have multiple events in a day, and it is easy to keep information organized with Nowsta. We have even been able to staff last minute call outs with the push of a button! So handy!

Cons

No cons about Nowsta, we really love it!

Olga W.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Nowsta saves us time and money

Reviewed on 28/12/2021

Nowsta has saved us countless hours of phoning and texting employees to confirm ever changing schedules.

Pros

It is so easy to schedule (and reschedule) our 100+ employees on a moment to moment basis!

Cons

I would like to be able to print out 1 concise schedule for all events of the day with all names on 1 page for easy viewing while moving around.

Stephanie K.

• Customer Support Software

Nowsta has been wonderful for our company!

Reviewed on 03/12/2021

Definitely streamlined our schedule process!

Pros

The ease of using it to manage our events and scheduling of staff. Very intuitive and user friendly.

Cons

I might be missing it, but on the app I have trouble seeing all of the events and staff assigned to each event.

Monica D.

• Customer Support Software

Saves time to book staff

Reviewed on 27/01/2020

We are a catering company and we use Nowsta for time and attendance for our in-house staff as well as our staff working off-site events out in the field. We love the ability to see how far away the staff member clocks in. Having the captains able to clock in and out the staff is a plus for staff who forgets their phone or is late and doesn't clock in.

Pros

Scheduling staff for events is a breeze. With multiple events displayed at once, we can click and drag staff to the event best suited for them. The report showing a spreadsheet as to the average number of minutes it takes staff to confirm events and the percentage that staff says yes to working an event helps us with prioritizing our staff based on their response. Approving staff on the Time and Attendance page is very easy and the screen is clear to see their times worked. Scheduling staff for the different departments works well .

Cons

Sometimes if the address of the location is not an exact address then the embedded gps map may send the staff to an incorrect location. The app works poorly on some older model cell phones. I haven't found a way to note when staff is on vacation to block those days so they are not accidentally added to the schedule.

Melissa C.

• Customer Support Software

Nowsta truly transformed our catering companies staffing operations!

Reviewed on 05/08/2019

Nowsta has eliminated our need for paper/hand written shift times, confusion over who was at what event and for how long, wondering what was the pay for that particular shift and the need to spend countless hours calculating every employees hours/pay come payroll time. Most of all, Nowsta has connected all our employees and with the app, given each the convenance of handheld information. Oh, and Nowsta integrates with our catering software Caterease which was our biggest selling point because we only have to enter event information once and it is transferred over to Nowsta with all the details needed for the employees.

From a Caterers view point, I do not think there is anything else out there that can come close to Nowsta for us. So happy we made the move to Nowsta and there's no turning back!

Pros

From an Admin stand point, I love how Nowsta is so easy to edit; staff information, times, position costs, literally everything! I love the availability checks that can go out as whatever I want, they do not have to be attached to an event. I love the multiple ways that I can inform my staff of shifts available via shifts requests and publishing to a first come first serve deal. It's so easy to make announcements to staff members who are scheduled for event shifts. Staff members get notified instantly of any event changes. I can set preferences to where I receive emails every time a staff member accepts/declines a shift, when new events are entered into Nowsta (we have the Caterease interface), when staff members do not clock into their shifts on time and so on. I could go on and on...

From an employees stand point, Nowsta gives me all the information that I need for an event. Its linked with Google Maps and with one click, I get GPS directions to my event. I can get notifications of upcoming events I am scheduled for. I clock in and out with my phone, no company timeclock box needed. I can easily add breaks to my shift. I can clock into an unscheduled shift, like for kitchen/office staff members who work daily yet do not have schedule kitchen or office hours. It is soooo easy! Makes everything soooo easy!!

Hands down the BEST Customer service crew I have ever worked with! I love chatting with them even tho I try not to have to. :)

Cons

The only thing at the moment that I wish Nowsta could do is have flat rate delivery options. I currently use normal staffing hours to calculate deliveries but they should be flat rates that do not affect employees hours but we make it work. Looking forward to the upgrade that includes flat rate fees.

Alisha S.

• Customer Support Software

Overall, this program has been a lifesaver and has drastically improved our staffing process.

Reviewed on 28/07/2018

Pros

I have been using the software for over 2 years now and have seen it develop into the great product that it is today. What I like most is that the Nowsta team is dedicated to really understanding the needs of their end users and developing a system that is perfect for event industry professionals.

We have been able to really cut down on overtime in every department, have a much higher response rate from staff who are receiving offers to work, and management is able to track hours and run payroll reports much more efficiently with this system in place.

The many different levels of permissions allow me to customize what each person using the system is able to see and access in the system. My Sales team can see schedules, but not pay rates and are not able to adjust times/ shifts. Department head can see pay rates, and enter schedules, but are not able to create or remove another admin user. Event staff can not access the admin portal at all.

There are many great features that this system has that several others on the market simply do not consider or offer, and I would highly recommend taking a look at it if you are not already a user.

Cons

As with any system that is still in development, there are still a few hick ups in the program. The Nowsta team works diligently to iron out the kinks but this causes the system to go down for unexpected periods of time and staff is unable to clock in/out.

David H.

• Customer Support Software

Intuitive scheduling for catering events

Reviewed on 28/09/2019

We are saving 1-2 hrs per week making the schedule and at least 10 hrs a week of admin time that used to be spent texting, calling etc. Now it's all centralized with more control delegated to captains, etc.

Pros

Great customer support team with active development on a best in class platform with a solid codebase to support future iterations.
App recently modernized and continued improvements in reporting allow for oversight and quantitative analysis

Cons

Doesn't include payroll, but it syncs with many others! Only real con I can think of

QuickBooks Time, 7shifts, Event Staff App, and Humanity

Reasons for Choosing Nowsta

Nowsta is built for the events industry. Nothing else comes close

QuickBooks Time

Reasons for Switching to Nowsta

It does what it does the best of any. Others can't even comprehend what an event is.
Michael C.

Game changer

Reviewed on 15/07/2019

Great! From when we were first introduced to Nowsta through now, it has been a GREAT experience.

Pros

The Nowsta software provides such an easy way to communicate with staff. Scheduling offsite events is about communication. Nowsta provides a platform where everyone can speak the same language when scheduling or receiving a schedule.

Cons

Hard to think about what I don't like. As soon as there is something that seems off the engineers are on it

UKG Ready

Reasons for Choosing Nowsta

The Ready Set Work software was dying more than it was growing. Nowsta's progressive approach to understanding a caterers needs seemed custom fit to what we were looking for in scheduling software.

Reasons for Switching to Nowsta

The final decision was based on ease of use and its custom ability to schedule to an event rather than an individual.
Aaron M.

Very Pleased!

Reviewed on 18/12/2020

Scheduling is much easier and the user interface is easy to use and understand.

Pros

Nowsta easily integrates with other systems that make scheduling events a breeze for our company. The interface is extremely user friendly and is not cumbersome like many other systems that have been used in the past.

Cons

There needs to be an attendance (point based) system in place that keeps track of an employee calling in, being late, etc. Progressive attendance based systems are important for companies where hourly employees are expected to maintain an acceptable level of attendance. I would like to see a system added to Nowsta in the future that will make it easy to track attendance so employees can be held accountable for poor attendance.

Cameron G.

• Customer Support Software

A world of difference, leagues beyond the next in line.

Reviewed on 02/03/2021

The employees can see exactly how lucrative shifts are, and easily sign up for shifts. Requesting staff is so simple, and scheduling them is even simpler. I can't say enough good things about the ease of access.

Pros

The accessibility is so optimized, it takes only two minutes to get someone up to speed on how to use it. The metrics it tracks, and volume of information readily available to both employees and admins is second to none.

Cons

The live-update features occasionally don't work, and you'll need to reload to see changes. It's not a big issue, it's just that they occasionally do work, so you usually just need to refresh to make sure.

Bob K.

Great Product, Great Customer Service

Reviewed on 10/11/2020

I can't say enough about this platform. I've personally recommended it to other companies in our industry and can't imagine ever changing. From start to finish, the software is easy to use/learn, provides great analytics and the customer service far exceeds expectations.

Pros

We love being able to create and assign numerous roles and hourly rates to our team members; the timeclock tablet feature is great for onsite clocking in and out and the tracking/reporting tools are incredibly useful for budgeting purposes as well as budget to actual comparisons. There are just so many great features to this software and it continues to improve.

Cons

I don't believe there is anything that we like least about the software but this is more of a wish list in that we wish we could house more employee information. Again, this is not the purpose of the software but to have it all in one central location would be super convenient.

Cristina M.

• Customer Support Software

Nowsta streamlined our event staffing

Reviewed on 26/05/2020

Nowsta has truly streamlined staffing our events. It's cut back on hours we spent on the front end and really helped our staff easily accept or decline shifts in an app. It was also a huge help to pay staff immediately versus waiting for our 2 week pay system via check. Staff seem to really love this option even with the fee.

Pros

Nowsta streamlined our event staffing through the app and the way we communicate with our crew. It's been a game changer for us.

Cons

We have been using Nowsta since it launched. The tech support has been wonderful at reviewing our feedback and making changes that really helped the app and our team use it. The software has had issues from time to time but it's always been resolved. The only downside on our end was setting up a direct bank debit weekly versus our original bi-weekly pay system.

Sarah P.

• Customer Support Software

Smooth Transition and easy to use!

Reviewed on 04/03/2020

From the initial conversation, to the implementation, I have been fully on board! I'm excited to know they are constantly working on how to make the software as useful as possible and I'm not sure how our company went so long with out it!

Pros

This software is so user friendly! We have a VERY wide range of employees that range from savvy to beginner in the tech department. The transition to this app/website was seamless for everyone involved. I love how you can compartmentalize almost every aspect of information on both the administrative side as well as the user side. It takes me less than 1 minute to create an event, and about the same for our employees to choose whether or not they are able to work. It's great from start to finish!
I also love that employees can choose how they receive notifications. Very customizable to how they use their phones.

Cons

The biggest thing I wish this software had was an app from the admin side. Although the browser is esthetically pleasing, I would like to get push notifications as the administrator.

Katie M.

• Customer Support Software

Nowsta allows for flexibility, easily accessible information, and great interfacing in my job

Reviewed on 01/11/2020

Pros

As an events services worker, It’s incredibly important to me that I can clock in from anywhere, see who I’m working with on a given day (and get their contact info in case I need to call them with an emergency issue), and see all the basic information about my event in one place on my phone. Nowsta allows me to do all of this and more, quickly and easily. That’s what I enjoy most.

Cons

The only issues I‘ve had to date with Nowsta occurred after the overhaul last year when Nowsta Timeclock was also introduced. Since then, I find that the Nowsta app can be slow and laggy at times (especially when accepting or declining shift invites). Additionally, once clocked out for the day, if you don’t log out of Timeclock (instead of just swiping out of the app for the night) when you go in the next day your current shift to clock in to wont show up. Before Timeclock, I remember the clock in page refreshing for the day no matter if you had logged out and in. This is a bit of a hassle but doesn’t greatly deter from the ease and functionally of the rest of the app.

Marcus H.

Game Changer for Event Management

Reviewed on 02/10/2021

I have used Nowsta for the past 6 years with three different Catering/Hotel companies because the dedication Nowsta has to their clients is superb, the software is user-friendly with features that save time and energy. The app is loved by my staff and commutation to them through it is seamless. If you want to streamline all things dealing with event management this is the software for you!

Pros

The scheduling and communication features are by far the best in the biz. Geared towards events.

Cons

Definitely wish they had the feature to approve "published shifts request" before our employees are "confirmed". When you have many on-call staff this feature helps with sorting through everyone based on knowing who will 100% Percent pick-up the shift. Nowsta does have a "availability calendar" so staff can easily notify management of their current availability, but with a staff of 50+ enforcement that they keep their calendar updated is easier said than done.

Brian H.

• Customer Support Software

Great product makes my life easier

Reviewed on 08/08/2019

Doing payroll used to take me anywhere from 1-6 hours depending on how busy we were and how many people were working. After we switched to Nowsta, I usually have payroll done in 30 minutes. We do schedules on a weekly basis and I used to have to do the schedule in Excel, then change it to a PDF and then email it to all the staff along with where they were meeting for events. It took me forever to do. With Nowsta, everything is right in the app and it cuts the time in half. Also, with people being able to punch in from their phones, there is no longer paper needed. All of the staff is very helpful and quick to get back to you if you reach out to them.

Pros

Nowsta cuts my scheduling time at least in half. It also takes me a quarter of the time to do payroll. Easier for employees to punch in and out.

Cons

Some issues with the app freezing. People with android have had issues using the app. There is no way for staff members to put in extended periods of time off in the app (vacatin or PTO or what not)

Clark K.

Staffing made simple

Reviewed on 11/11/2020

Pros

Nowsta makes it so easy to staff events! The platform is very user intuitive and it's easy to know when someone accepts vs declines a shift. The rating system is very helpful, the time and attendance tracker makes life so much easier, and not to mention the Nowsta team always is incredibly friendly, helpful and responds to messages right away.

Cons

I wish there was a message history of all the announcements I send staff - whether a text or email it would be nice to have a history as a reference or to copy and paste from.

schedule cloud
Shelby H.

Nowsta Review

Reviewed on 09/10/2019

Pros

It’s super easy to use and there are (so far) no glitches. The last thing you want is a program messing up mid scheduling. I love being able to rate employees and it’s super easy for my staff to see all the details of the shifts they’re working. It also reminds them to show up 2 hours prior!

Cons

Nothing so far. Obviously it’s constantly updating which can be a pain but it’s worth it to have a nice easy to use software