Quickbooks Online Reviews

Jose J
Jose J

One of the Best Accounting Software for Small to Mid-sized businesses

Reviewed on 06/11/2022

Quickbooks online is our main tool and resource to have a quick snapshot of our accounting, sales, taxes, and profit/loss reports. Also, Quickbooks is our invoicing software and CRM.

Pros

The onboarding and migration of our company data from an offline software to Quickbooks Online was way faster than we expected. Aside from that, QuickBooks has been our main and preferred accounting and invoicing tool since 2018.

Cons

I believe Quickbooks Online reports are not that customizable like the offline Quickbooks versions. Also, there are differences managing multiple companies. We need to create and buy separate Quickbooks Online accounts for each of our companies and with the offline versions we just had to buy one set of licenses, that allowed us to manage multiple company files.

Zoho Invoice

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online

I believe Quickbooks Online has more features that we need to manage our entire business than Xero. I think Xero focuses more on accounting.

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

Previous experience with Quickbooks offline versions.
Shayla
Shayla
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

Fantastic cloud-based accounting solution for any size company

Reviewed on 17/03/2023

If you want a single spot to manage your finances, I can think of no better option than QuickBooks Online. There's no need to download or install any software, and they've been a frontrunner in the accounting software market for many years.

Pros

One of my clients right now utilizes QuickBooks Online to keep track of their finances and sellable goods. My own personal involvement with this system spans several years, and I am responsible for managing it from an administrative and deployment perspective.

Cons

I'm hoping they'll upgrade their website to accept Schedule K forms soon. New users may find it difficult to get their bearings, depending on their familiarity with accounting software.

kaitlyn
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

• Customer Support Software

Customer Service is TERRIBLE!

Reviewed on 19/01/2024

It has been absolutely terrible using QB. I would never recommend any small business to use Quickbooks ever.

Pros

Mainly the only reason I use QB is because it's affordable and it's the main platform my bookkeepers work off of.

Cons

I've used Quickbooks for a few years now and it's a constant let down of disappointment. As long as everything is running smooth, it's okay. But the second there's any issue, plan on at least a month of trying to get it resolved. It's blows my mind and I don't know how much longer I can keep using Quickbooks. One senario that was insane and I could've sued QB for was: I had a new wholesale retailer use a fraudulent card. I did my due diligence and the order went as usual, per my other wholesale retailers. The package got shipped and about two months later, QB reached out and says the payment is fraudulent and they're reversing $8k out of my account. I run a small business so this wasn't possible for me. At one point of one of 50 calls I made, one of the QB employees suggested I close my account, close my bank account and try to escape from paying this. I knew it would just go to collections though. They ended up taking every last cent back from me with a payment plan. The second senario I recently delt with was changing my bank account number on QB. I had a fraudulent login to my bank and had to switch my account number. I also had payroll I had to push through in two days when this happend and I pushed it through immediately hoping it would work even with my bank on hold. Right after I updated QB with the new bank account number, it took 5 days to verify it. QB kept displaying a message that my account is placed on a hold. I called QB and they said I owed them money for payroll since it never went through my bank account but QB paid my employees. I ended up doing a wire transfer because I was told that the hold would be lifted the next day if I did that. I did not.. I called again and they said they needed to submit an order to lift the hold. The lady I spoke with reassured me over and over that it would take 2 business days for it to actually come off. It didn't... I called again and they gave me a number to talk to payroll specialists to take the hold off. I called the number over and over again and it said they are closed due to being in a meeting. It's now been over two weeks at this point and with no resolution for the simplest problem. And I still can't submit payroll that's overdue and have to submit payroll in another week, which I doubt this problem will actually be fixed by. Overall, I can't stand Quickbooks and if you run into any small or big issues, it truly doesn't feel like you get genuine help.

Abdullah
Abdullah

QuickBooks Online Review

Reviewed on 14/12/2023

It is a good app. Using the QuickBooks Online is cost effective and it is user friendly software when compared to other apps.

Pros

I'm involving QuickBooks Online for 2+ years. I recommend this app as QuickBooks Online has been an Editors' choice award winner for small business accounting apps and private venture bookkeeping, accounting applications for a really long time, and it stays a merited honor. it assists with making and track receipt without any problem. Quick books online saves Accounting professionals' time and the clients' time by automating features like recurring transactions and bank feeds. It monitors Costs and Bills consequently. It has an automated Backup service and it is customer oriented.

Cons

some banks are not set up to download transactions.

Lisa

Excellent reporting and automation

Reviewed on 12/10/2023

I've been a user of Quickbooks products since 2003. It has been great. Prior to that I was struggling with Sage. I used Sage for 3 years and Sage payroll. But when I discovered Quickbooks, to me, it lived up to its name... it was quick to do the books... I've done their training, I've an advanced certified pro advisor and user and the company has treated me (I feel) as a client user extremely well over the years.

Pros

Auto invoicing, payroll module that's integrated, sending out reports automatically, great customer service and supportive software provider. Receipt capture (although not every sophisticated) still does the job.

Cons

What I'm struggling with is this new tax feature, to then be able to file year end accounts, but once I've grasped it... I think it'll be a game changer for how I do business. The process will be quicker, which'll free up my time.

Rodney
  • Industry: Wholesale

• Customer Support Software

Cant connect a PayPal account to a QB Business account for 6 months? Realy?

Reviewed on 12/02/2024

Everything except for technical support was good, the software has cost me a lot of money due to lack of technical support.

Pros

Easy to use.....
Good for invoicing
looks good

Cons

Non existent technical support
Due to QB's poor customer service and the inability to connect a Business Paypay account for almost 6 months, has cost me hundreds with both myself and my Book keeper chasing an outcome with their useless technical support team. No wonder you are losing business to their competitors in droves.

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

Book keeper suggestion...Book keeper suggestion...
Maciej

• Customer Support Software

Efficient and User-Friendly: A Game-Changer for My Business - Quickbooks Online Review

Reviewed on 11/05/2023

My overall experience with Quickbooks Online has been extremely positive. It has streamlined my financial management processes, allowing me to stay organized and gain better insights into my business's financial health. The platform's integration capabilities with other business tools, such as banking institutions and payment processors, have made my workflow more seamless. The ability to generate professional invoices, track expenses, and run detailed reports has been invaluable in making informed decisions for my business.

Pros

Quickbooks Online has revolutionized the way I manage my business finances. One of its standout features is the ease of use. The intuitive interface makes it simple to navigate through various financial tasks, even for someone like me who isn't a finance expert. The platform's user-friendly design ensures that I can quickly access and update my financial data without any hassle. It saves me valuable time and allows me to focus more on growing my business.

Cons

While Quickbooks Online offers a range of powerful features, the pricing structure can be a drawback. The subscription fees can add up, especially for small businesses or startups operating on a tight budget. Additionally, some advanced features are only available in the higher-tier plans, which may limit the functionality for those on lower-tier plans. It would be great if there were more affordable options or a flexible pricing model to cater to businesses of all sizes.

Milena

Great

Reviewed on 05/05/2023

QBO is very reliable and I use it on a daily basis.

QBO is very reliable and I use it on a daily basis.

Pros

I like how easy to use QBO is. I like their training, benefits, functionality, customer service and support are great too.

Cons

The price can be a bit much for some companies.

Zoho Books and Xero

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online

The flexibility of QBO is leading for me. Don't have to backup anything and QBO has more functions than Xero, Zoho Books, and QB Desktops.

QuickBooks Desktop Pro, Zoho Books, and Xero

It's just better
  • Industry: Graphic Design Software

• Customer Support Software

Great solution for small business accounting

Reviewed on 13/09/2023

Excellent product

Excellent product

Pros

A great product that includes all the features for small business accounting, expense tracking, reporting, invoicing and payments, easy to use and affordable. Also integrates with Dext for automation.

Cons

Nothing really, the auto reminders could be more frequent

Tara
Tara

Amazing functionality and capability

Reviewed on 12/09/2023

Pros

Ease of use, accuracy, constant improvements

Cons

Gets pricey very quicky. Can't upgrade from Sole Prop version.

Jennifer

• Customer Support Software

Quickbooks has made my practice

Reviewed on 27/08/2019

Overall this software has changed the face of my practice and how it operates. I was previously using Solar Desktop software but Quickbooks software has enabled me to be able to take on more clients, provide them with access to their accounts online, be able to confidently provide my clients with accurate training and support and it has also saved me a lot of time with some tasks such as bank reconciliations, entering transactions using bank feeds etc.

Pros

Initially, I really loved the fact that you could receive very in-depth free training from home and in a classroom environment. Also, the fact that Accountants receive a licence for free for their own practice. I like the entire 'look' of the software, it doesn't feel overly complicated and is very user friendly. The help files and online helpdesk are extremely useful. I like that I can restrict the permissions that my clients have in order to avoid any unwanted mistakes being made but do feel that the permissions need to be more tailorable. I really like having the ability to set up recurring invoices which minimises the amount of time I have to spend on monthly repeating invoices.

Cons

I feel the permissions that you can set for individual clients is not restrictive enough - I would like to be able to enable clients to create their own sales invoices and purchase invoices but maybe restrict them from being able to delete them as this has caused many issues with some of my clients. Also, the system can be a bit 'glitchy' on occasion and the figures it sometimes produces on the trial balance report is not always accurate - usually the Sales figure is inaccurate for previous financial years which can be most frustrating. I also don't like that fact that, as a Quickbooks ProAdvisor, you cannot purchase any discounted bundles of licences. I also don't like the way you have to allocate a purchase credit note to the original purchase order - it is far too confusing and causes many errors by my clients.

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online

In preparation for Making Tax Digital and in order to be able to offer future clients a better service.

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

Better functionality, cost and the free training that was available.
Scott

The proverbial 800 pound gorilla still works!

Reviewed on 10/09/2019

QBO is the only one with the complete package that includes the ability to write and track checks. Since my business is simple, I need a lighter, "for dummies" mode that could remove a lot of clutter when it is not necessary. As a consignment business, I use software that is specific to the industry. It keeps all of the data I need to meet regulations. For QBO, a payment is a simple transaction. I wish the system could be lighter and less cluttered.​

Pros

Aside from keeping things in order, it allows someone with no accounting experience to do the basic bookkeeping activities, produce reports, and keep up with the finances. I like that it will connect with the bank and download activities! Best of all, it will print checks!

Cons

Connection with the bank can be flakey, depending on the bank. You have to watch the activity because QB does not tell you if there are problems. It should provide an option to warn you when it could not contact the bank overnight. Also, it is very difficult to use the check lineup processes. For some reason, I cannot get the check printing to line up properly and the tools they give do not work well.

Zoho Books and FreshBooks

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

In my business, the law requires that I pay clients with checks or store credit. I need the ability to write checks and have them tracked in the accounting software. QBO is the only package I found that can write checks.
Robin

Quickbooks Serves It's Purpose

Reviewed on 26/09/2019

It's a somewhat love-hate relationship I have with Quickbooks. Love more so though. I have gotten used to a lot of Quickbooks' quirks now. It was a difficult go to get started to get things set up but I had support. I've been using Quickbooks for a few years now. I like how clean and organized invoices look for clients and how I can customize them and emails. I appreciate recurring invoices that help to avoid user error on consistency in repeat services and in sending invoices on time.

Pros

I like the ability to customize how invoices and emails look. I appreciate the ability we had to import our clients' details and past invoices when we started up with Quickbooks. The plethora of reports and customizable reports are very useful. I also appreciate being able to process payments through Quickbooks. The search ability is decent helpful in looking for specific invoices, amounts, or other specific data.

Cons

It was quite a challenge to get everything up and going when we started with Quickbooks
There are some features that are limited and seem to operate oddly, such as deleting some clients vs marking some as inactive. If I have completed services with certain clients, I want to keep their data, but mark them inactive. When I mark them as inactive, the system puts them in a state of "deleted", which makes me very concerned when I see that. I don't want to lose their data. Also, some duplicates of clients have been created or clients never started services with us. So that data was just bloating the system and a bit confusing sometimes. Those particular clients would be good to actually fully delete them. I've run into processes that can be very confusing. Luckily my accountant is able to help me through the challenges.

Response from Intuit

Hi there, Robin. It's great to hear you've enjoyed using QuickBooks to customize reports, process payments, and manage many other accounting elements. You can continue to count on us to help lighten the work load for years to come! We recommend our video tutorials to expand your knowledge of features and work flows in your account (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/tutorials/). Additionally, the following article provides a detailed explanation of making clients inactive in your account (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/configure-products/make-a-customer-inactive-and-then-active/00/186156).

We appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us!
Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

• Industry: Entertainment

• Customer Support Software

Would recommend for anyone who is overwhelmed with by their accounting process

Reviewed on 01/05/2021

Has been so nice to get organized and have everything in one place. It really helped to analyze and get controls on spending, collecting receivables, and putting out monthly profit and loss statements.

Pros

The best feature for our company was the bank interface. All our expenses on all bank accounts and credit cards are all downloaded automatically. Even better is you can train this process using rules so that recurring transactions can be classified immediately resulting in little to no work on the user part. Reconciliation is nearly done at the end of the month as any transaction that is entered through the connection to the bank is automatically checked and matched for reconciliation. Tracking vendors for year end 1099 forms is also a great feature we use annually.

Cons

Cons are that if you do not the rules of accounting and are a small business owner with a tight budget and cannot an accountant, you really need to do your homework on what and when to do certain processes like turning the year over. Sometimes the software can run a little heavy on our computer, but there is an installable version you can put on your computer to resolve the issue. The help topics have not been much of a help. I usually refer to google searches as opposed to the topic center included in the software.

FreshBooks and Zoho Expense

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online

We switched because we were using a system to record transactions was antiquated and prone to human error upon entry not to mention the data entry process was very time consuming. We also needed everything all in one place to be a more effective strategy.

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

We ultimately chose Quickbooks for its brand recognition and excellent online reviews. Internet based operations was also a very attractive feature.
Nikki
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Get your Finances in Order Quickly!

Reviewed on 15/05/2022

Quickbooks Online has been a wonderful software to take my small business accounting to the next level! There is a bit of a learning curve to set up the customizable software and maximize it's use for your business. Once it's set, accounting is easy and quick. Running reports takes 5 seconds and you have all your accounting information at your fingertips with the mobile app!

Pros

Ability to access from anywhere! On my computer, on my phone, in the car, wherever I need it!

Quick mobile receipt upload from your phone or computer! This allows me to quickly scan gas receipts or upload online purchase receipts to Quickbooks Online. Gone are the days of saying "what was that purchase for?" Not only can you upload receipts but they automatically tie to the bank account import.

Easy to create reports! Ability to compare month to month or year to year. Can break down by categories or tags.

Tax time made easy! My accountant had all the information they needed. I can link accountants to my Quickbooks Online so they can assist with quarterly payments, general questions via email/online or bookkeeping.

Cons

Quickbooks Online has a little bit of a learning curve. Since I had no prior experience with a formal accounting system, I signed up to add one of their pros to walk me through set up upon purchase. They helped get the bank account integrated and get everything moving the right direction.

Due to the learning curve, there are plenty of resources online or within business organizations that can walk you through the ins and outs. Quickbooks Online is very customizable, but getting those custom items set up can feel overwhelming.

Bryant

• Customer Support Software

Makes my job a ton easier

Reviewed on 12/08/2022

I like Quickbooks. The company name does make sense... you do everything quickly lol. I haven't had a single issue other than the invoicing problem. I did spend more than enough time with their customer service which was a pain in the butt but the rep was really friendly and helped me get it sorted out. If I could recommend Quickbooks to a new or seasoned business owner, I definitely will! It looks expensive and hard to learn but honestly, it's much easier to navigate than it looks!

Pros

I was hesitant at first since I didn't want to go the everything electronic route. My wife was doing all of the tax stuff so I just gave her the okay and made the purchase. I now do everything minus invoicing through Quickbooks. Everything is streamlined for me and I realized how much time I was truly losing by doing everything through Excel and calculating by hand. My wow moment was watching my time being cut in half literally by just snapping a photo of a receipt after connecting my bank account then adding details on the purchase... that's it!

Cons

Now... the invoicing part I'm just not fond of. There was an error with a payment and Quickbooks kept kicking back a payment a client had made. I ended up just going through Paypal Business and setting up my invoices through there and attached my Paypal account to Quickbooks to make things easier on myself. If invoicing was different, I would be 100% with Quickbooks.

Kristie
Kristie
  • Industry: Entertainment

Top Financial Management App

Reviewed on 19/05/2021

It’s been an amazing experience because it organizes all of my costs and data. I don’t spend as much as I used to now that I categorize my business and personal costs. It’s always a good sign to keep the personal costs and see how much I need to save each time I get paid. I categorize all of my direct deposit as business costs and the money I spend when I got shopping as personal costs.

Pros

This app is great for those who own a business or is self-employed and likes having one app to store all the data on costs. I love being able to choose whether the cost is business-related or personal. The bank accounts are all linked to this one app and I can keep a record of what goes in my account and what is spent. I keep a track of every cent I use and spend. My favorite is seeing how much I earn and how much my business profits within a year.

Cons

Sometimes, the bank accounts get disconnected due to internet issue last and it can take a while to link the accounts again. The accounts get disconnected for unknown reasons even if I don’t change my account information on the bank account site. It can take a few hours to a few days to reconnect and retrieve the costs.

Jimmy
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

I'm happily married to QuickBooks

Reviewed on 29/06/2019

I think the future is digital and it's time that we all dropped our fear and start keeping our records online.

It’s very possible that your hard disk could crash but Quickbooks will still be there storing your records.

I recommend Quick books to small and medium-sized companies.

Pros

Before I began using QuickBooks, my biggest fear was that we were going to entrust a cloud with our money.

Personally, I was hesitant for a long time and so was my company. But after that, we decided to take a leap of faith and use QuickBooks. We’ve been happily married to this software ever after.

So here is why I like QuickBooks

It’s invoicing feature is amazing. The feature automatically invoices our customers and brilliantly matches the invoices to the customers.

Quickbooks takes payments, bills and compiles reports for everything

And while Quickbooks is doing this, everyone on the accounting team accesses it with ease.

Cons

Quickbooks crashes a lot and limits access to a few number of people. That's why I don't recommend it to big firms.

Response from Intuit

Hi Jimmy. We're so glad you decided to give QuickBooks a chance. It's wonderful to hear you're enjoying it for your business needs. Storing data on cloud storage can be daunting which is why security is our top priority. More information on how we protect your data can be found here: https://security.intuit.com/index.php

The great part of our online product is the variety of subscriptions offered that can be used by different sized companies. We recently introduced a new level called QuickBooks Online Advanced (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/blog/whats-new/quickbooks-online-advanced-growing-with-and-for-our-customers/) which allows up to 25 users and has new features to help run a larger company.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and welcome to the QuickBooks family!

Jen, The QuickBooks Team

Maurine
  • Industry: Farming

Customer satisfaction does not seem important to the Quick Books Team

Reviewed on 17/03/2020

The experience with the Customer Care employees was very frustrating. I felt they were really not interested in helping me.

Pros

I like to be able to do bank feeds, putting my transactions directly into my accounting software. I also like the graphs that are available to the user.

Cons

We are a small company and I do much of our accounting input myself. I tried to purchase the on line Quick Books on two separate occasions. I was told it would be easier for me to get assistance if the books were on line. The first time they couldn't convert my file from my Desk Top version but continued to charge me for 18 months, even after I had cancelled it. That should have been my lessons to stay away from the addition of"on line" to my existing account. However, 3 years later, I was again prompted by my accountant on how it would simplify the business accounting; I tried again. AGAIN they couldn't merge my older version of Quick Books to the on line version without first updating and charging me even more money. I immediately cancelled the on line version and went with a desk top version. I got the Quick Books support employees name and a phone number and his assurance that the account was cancelled. When a question arose on my desk top version I found that the ON LINE version was not cancelled after all. I once again had TWO accounts and they would be charging me. My frustration was extremely evident and I was told to take it down a notch or they would "disconnect" me. I use quick books because I feel like getting another software would be difficult to transfer everything that I have in my files for the past 10 years. I am never satisfied with their customer service and the software is difficult to keep up with changes from year to year.

Randi

• Customer Support Software

QBO has been a game changer for my business, but I have a few complaints.

Reviewed on 07/06/2017

Pros

I converted from QB Desktop Pro to QBO about a year ago, and it has been a game changer for me. Some pros:

1. The design is much more aesthetically pleasing and intuitive than QB Desktop. I now feel comfortable doing my own reconciliations rather than paying a bookkeeper, as it is much more natural than the steps required before.

2. I can easily add users and therefore don't need to pass the file back and forth. Before, I'd forget that my bookkeeper is working on my file and would make changes, which caused big problems. This is no longer an issue.

3. I can login anywhere.

4. The apps are a big deal for me. For example, I have an app called "Importer Pro" which allows me to import the schedule from my scheduling software. It then automatically generates and invoice for my clients, and it could also automatically generate an invoice for my independent contractors based on the work they do. This saves me about 25 hours per week. I could not have done this with QB Desktop.

Cons

There are two main (and large) problems I've found:

1. You cannot revert your company. So if you make a big error, or a disgruntled employee with QBO access logs in and messes everything up, there is no going back. That's a big issue. Luckily, it has not been a problem for us yet.

2. If you need to edit a past invoice, it deletes the description and changes the hour to 1. This became a problem for me when I realized that the line items were not mapped to the client, and I needed to change the "product/service" to something that is mapped to the client. Previously, I was using a generic term in "product/service" for all clients, not realizing it was an issue. However, I cannot go back through my past invoices and change the product/service because it will delete the description and edit the hours, which is way too time consuming to deal with. I have thousands of line items that are not mapped to the client.

I reported both of these issues to QBO. Asked to talk to a supervisor after the first person was very unhelpful and clearly not trained well. The supervisor said he would talk to the development team and call me back within 48 hours. That was months ago and of course, no call. Disappointing.

Mohammad Ismail
  • Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment

The Accounting SoftWare for a Medium Business Enterprise

Reviewed on 28/09/2022

5 Stars Excellence

5 Stars Excellence

Pros

1. Quickbook is a Friendly Software and easy to understand and easy to use for daily tasking activities.
2. It Contains PROJECTS thar will help you organized your Contracts and Project undertaken, it will give you the calculation of profits and Earnings, You will determine too your looses on its projects and will help you understand how did you lost for a certain projects.
3. QB helps you to organized your Business Intruments, such as Purchase Order Issuance, Delivery Note issuance, You can make Sales Order Acknowledget for new Orders you received from each Customers.
4. And Since it is an Accounting Software it will help you to Organized almost everything a Big Company needs to records such as making Journal entries, Creating Chart of Accounts, Organizing Products Inventory, Creating Product Entries for Pricing purposes, It will Records the Cost of Sales and Cost of Purchase.
5. For Contracts Services it will help you calculate the Manhour Cost of each Employees reporting to complete thier Jobs in a Certain Contracts or Jobs Undertaken that requires a specific Project Completion.
6. Quick is Superb and Easy to use, and it is also inter-active as if you are talking to live person because it contains an Artificial Intelligence to remind you that a certain transaction had been duplicated for example and when you need to amend something inside the System it will automatically ask you if you wanted to continue & retains attachments in your file, Recurrence Tasks is available too

Cons

1. Online Traffic only, Needs to restart

• Customer Support Software

Full of features & easy to use

Reviewed on 13/11/2022

Despite the cost and occasional glitches, I still believe that QuickBooks is currently the best product available for small business accounting.

Pros

I have used a lot of different accounting software and QuickBooks Online is by far the most functional and easy to use. I love the bank connection and the ability to categorize transactions as they come through the bank feed. The dashboard layout is visually appealing, the reports are great and the ability to customize them is an added bonus. Invoicing works great, and the ability to receive payments directly through QuickBooks makes the invoicing process quick and easy. Payroll is easy to use and with direct deposit automating payroll is also an option.

Cons

As someone that has used QuickBooks Online for many years, I don't love the cost of QuickBooks Online. They are constantly adding new updates and features but in my opinion the cost increase has been excessive in comparison with the added functionality. Also, on several occasions I've run into technical glitches in the software. Customer support is always kind but they're rarely able to help solve the issue and the problems are escalated and take a lot of time to rectify.

FreshBooks, Wave Accounting, and Xero

Functionality & ease of use
Erica
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

I rarely write bad reviews but Quickbooks Online is over-the-top bad

Reviewed on 02/05/2019

I am highly disappointed and frustrated with Quickbooks Online after switching after 15 years using Quickbooks Desktop. 1) the transfer from one to the other was fraught with errors that have been far reaching and expensive to resolve 2) QB Online is slow and cumbersome. 3) It is incapable of tracking hours by class which we were counting on 4) the screens are very inefficient with the way space is used which causes the need for extra scrolling and loading (which as I said is very slow) 5) it is way over priced for small businesses 6) every "improvement" seems to be in the form of a new app that one has to pay a lot more for 7) basically they are nickle and diming small businesses to death. After 1 1/2 years with QB online I kept thinking it would improve and there has not been one improvement despite submitting complaints and recommendations for improvement. We have decided that we will switch to another company as soon as we have time to make this transition.

Pros

It is accounting software. That we can use an app to export sales from our online store to Quickbooks.

Cons

Very slow to load pages which is why I am finally bothering to write a review right now because I am trying to enter timesheets and I am waiting for each page to load. This happens all of the time. The interface is not intuitive. There is no class tracking for employee hours which is hampering our ability to run reports and do business planning. Our business was with Quickbooks desktop for 15 years and we were very happy with it. We switched to Quickbooks Online thinking that this was an upgrade but it is a huge down grade plus we are pay much more for the online version. The process of switching was literally catastrophic. Much of our payroll and tax data did not transfer correctly. We spent over 200 hours correcting problems. We would solve one problem only to discover another. These problems also meant that we had unknowingly submitted incorrect tax forms that then had to be amended and submitted. It is 1 1/2 years later and we are still discovering errors that occurred during the switch. Quickbooks Online customer service was not helpful/useful at all when it came to fixing these problems. Additionally, instead of improving the problems with the existing program (the timesheets for example), QB came out with a new time timetracking app (T sheets) that you have to pay a lot of additional money for. At this point it seems like a total rip off for a small business. As the owner, I have had to deal with all of these problems - we are going switch as soon as I have time.

Paula
  • Industry: Philanthropy

• Customer Support Software

Fine except payroll and reports

Reviewed on 26/06/2017

I feel that the support staff have been placed in a bad position because the software is still so buggy. They should not have released payroll until it was ready and the sales team needs to better set expectations. The support staff can only do so much with buggy software. In addition, the engineering team needs to be properly staffed to resolve critical bugs in a reasonable time frame. Over 1 month is unacceptable for a severe bug that is preventing use of the payroll module for more than one customer. I was torn between giving the software 2 or 3 stars because of the pros above but I think they should understand that they can't push out poor quality, incomplete modules to try to compete in the online market and not properly set expectations. There are good alternatives at this point.

Pros

Seamless integration with other software, electronic billing and payments, banking download and matching

Cons

Payroll is a disaster and payroll reports are really bad. I noticed that most reviews on here do not mention payroll and I'm sure that's because many don't have this functionality enabled. I feel that QBO is trying to push users toward their full service payroll service by not focusing their attention on this module. It is an absolute mess. First of all, there is no integration between QBDT and QBO payroll modules. The data does not transfer from one to the other well at all. What does transfer is very incomplete or incorrect data. The manual data entry required is tedious and very bug-filled so it doesn't work correctly and requires chat or call-ins to the support line to complete. The functionality does not allow for customization of the posting of deductions and causes a lot of manual follow-up work from payroll that is completely unnecessary and which didn't exist in QBDT. In addition, they have many more bugs once in "operation" and some are severe and some are minor but annoying. The severe make it so that I have not actually been able to run payroll in QBO yet though we switched on 5/19/17. I had to run two payrolls in QBDT so far and then manually reproduce them in QBO. That is pretty severe in my opinion but still no resolution from their team. I did get them to credit me the fees for the month. Others such as the Total Pay column being nonsensical and not matching the total of the Gross Wages plus other compensation are just really annoying. The fact that you can't customize payroll reports AT ALL is maddening.

In addition to the above, there is an extremely annoying issue for nonprofits. If you select Nonprofit 501c3 as the type, you have to use "Pledges" as your terminology. You can't use "Invoices". I have worked around this by selecting Other/Not Sure as my type but it requires me to change it back whenever I set up a new employee in order to allow designating them as exempt from FUTA. So far, it seems to hold the exemption when switching it back to "Other". However, since I haven't been able to run a real payroll run yet, we will see. Many nonprofits don't utilize pledges and though you can customize the forms to read Invoice in the email, you can't change the language appearing on the Sales module and attached pdf invoices auto-name as Pledge #X when sending to customers.

Austin
  • Industry: Management Consulting

• Customer Support Software

Horrible Customer Service and Deflect Responsibility for their Products Functionality

Reviewed on 15/10/2018

I have to use quickbooks because it is what accountants and bookkeepers prefer but I hate giving money to a company that refuses to take any responsibility for the quality of their product.

Pros

Accountants and Bookkeepers prefer it so it is more widely accessible to use than freshbooks or other alternatives

Cons

Customer service is terrible. I have spent and least 10 hours on the phone with customer service and switching between your payment center and user interface center because of a minor issue that has still not been resolved in any way. One customer in our portal is flagged as not having paid even though he has paid. It took 10 hours and conversations with at least 10 employees to find out that this customer has indeed paid and the issue is an interface issue. I was told they would resolve the flagged customer in our system but he is STILL flagged as not having paid and there is nothing I can do about it. I asked for a refund or discount for the 10 hours I spent talking to their team so they could identify the issue and they provided a very minimal discount that did not cover a fraction of the hours. I can't afford to spend any more time with the team on this minor issue but my accounts continue to be inaccurate and the alert continues to be at the forefront of my homepage and it is infuriating.

They do not stand behind the integrity of their product at all. There is a clear interface issue with their product that remains unresolved for 8 months. They refuse to do anything even though the issue was identified by their team and they refuse to offer any discount even though the issue is known.

Everyone on their customer service teams is uncaring and incompetent. I spent over 10 hours being passed from department to department, everyone adamant to avoid taking responsibility to fix the issue. which remained unfixed.

They continue to raise their prices every year even though the software does not improve at all and you have no control over it.