SendGrid

Rahul
Rahul

Most Underrated Powerful Email Marketing Tool

Reviewed on 01/05/2022

Sendgrid is a powerful email marketing tool that offers superior services to its customers. Sendgrid is a must-have tool for start-ups, eCommerce businesses, freelancers and corporates. One thing that separates Sendgrid from other email marketing tools is their scalability once our list grows. The free version of Sendgrid allows you to send 100 emails every day.

Pros

What I like most about Sendgrid is that most of the tools out there offer easy integration with Sendgrid. Some apps can even directly integrate with SendGrid without using automation software like Zapier.

Cons

Sendgrid's UI is a bit confusing and it took some time to get used to the options. The email editor lacks certain features.

ConvertKit, Moosend, and Omnisend

Reasons for Choosing SendGrid

They are very expensive and for half the price I can get all the features on Sendgrid.

Sendlane

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid

Sendgrid offers more options and subscribers on the free plan than what they offer on their paid plan.
Eddie
Eddie

E-mail Marketing optimized for Professionals

Reviewed on 07/07/2021

SendGrid is a tool made for those looking for industrial strength e-mail marketing. If you have a small list and want a free tool where you have many templates and can drag and drop designs, MailChimp is the right tool. However, if you are sending millions of e-mails and want to use code and highly technical attributes with tens of thousands of users in your e-mail list you pretty much have to abandon MailChimp and SendGrid is the best tool in the space

Pros

The code editor and how everything is optimized for coding allows for truly beautiful e-mail marketing campaigns. SendGrid can accommodate beautiful e-mail templates that were created in HTML/CSS, you just have to know how to code for it to be useful for you.

Cons

They do not have a way to graphically edit particularly easily like with MailChimp.

To make a good looking e-mail marketing campaign you must know how to code, there are not a lot of templates provided for you to edit or drag and drop. It was not intended as a tool if you would like to drag and drop.

On the upside this got us to learn how to code better.

Reasons for Choosing SendGrid

MailChimp actually gets very pricey after you exceed 2,000 users. MailChimp also lacks the sophistication you need when you start doing more advanced activities companies like Uber and Spotify do. If you see sent by MailChimp you know it's a small business.

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid

SendGrid is professional strength e-mail marketing.
Pedro

• Customer Support Software

The worst customer support ever

Reviewed on 06/07/2020

I had sendgrid free, then I upgraded to the basic. After the shared IP has been blocked many times due to spam, I decided to go to a dedicated IP address. $89/month (really expensive for the service). I send around 500 emails/day for my learners. The server wasn't sending it, it was sending only 100 emails. as it had a limit of requests. I tried to contact their support service and it was terrible, no help at all.

Then, I added some of my IPs to the whitelist, unfortunately I had to change my home IP and I got blocked from sendgrid, after over 2 weeks trying to access it and adding IP, they haven't helped me or given me a proper reply.

Not only I could not send emails, I cant access my account, neither I can cancel.
I had ti sign up with Amazon SES, and now my life is great!

Terrible support, the worst so far, cant even cancel and get a refund =/

Pros

Free trial
easy api integration
cheap and good user interface

Cons

terrible support
expensive

Masud
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

My Experience With SendGrid - A Cool Tool For Email Marketing

Reviewed on 10/01/2024

Pros

I like the forms automation features
It comes with great email management and tracking capabilities
The software makes lead tracking and management easy
It is the best for email marketing

Cons

With SendGrid, we have realized so many benefits and I have no issues to raise.

Orianne
Orianne
  • Industry: Telecommunications

• Customer Support Software

Sending SaaS emails through the service is the best option.

Reviewed on 05/09/2022

Minimal running costs and the minimal need for application development make the API cost-effective. Even as a simple SMTP gateway, the API can perform many functions. These include distribution results and bounce information, which make the proper operation possible.

MTA SaaS services are made possible by the original. It is used to display messages from the service provider and notify the public of upcoming announcements. Nowadays it is difficult to operate with an original because it could be used by malicious third parties as a spam pass-through. However, it can operate securely if appropriate security measures and patches are applied frequently. Using the SendGrid service frees business owners from work they cannot control.

Pros

With the sub-user functions and the ability to manage each distribution case, it is easy to confirm the rate and track each delivery in the dashboard. In addition, it is easy to ensure bounce time records and investigate why mail was not delivered from the dashboard. This is because each case has a dedicated distribution manager that can perform distribution management in each case. It is advisable to confirm delivery with a tracking code, but it is also possible to check mail confirmation without any further action. This process can be completed quickly with any of the services offered.

Cons

Since the records of previous bounces disappear when searching, I want to extend the logging period a bit. To extract the data through webhooks, making a request each time is necessary.

Thomas
  • Industry: Insurance Software

SendGrid - You pay for reliability

Reviewed on 31/07/2023

Easy to set up, secure and verbose logging and reporting make this an easy choice for SaaS email relaying. While there is a marketing portion to this application, we don't use it so I can't speak of it.

Pros

I don't think the email API service has ever had a technical downtime where it doesn't work in the many years we have used it. The API itself is very easy to use and use the least privileges. Integrating the API into your SEIM or reporting platform (Power Bi for example) is also really easy to do and gives verbose information.

Cons

Email reputation can be a concern in ensuring your emails are delivered externally unless you want to pay extra, otherwise, the lower tiers are fine and still have decent deliverability %'s, typically above 95%'s.

Andrew
Andrew

• Customer Support Software

Great for easy bulk email sending

Reviewed on 31/08/2020

Sending emails without having to manually manage and handhold them through the process.

Pros

Easy to connect up and set up delivery of email, handles any bounces, spam reports, link tracking and continually trying to deliver. Allows set up of email authentication including SPF, DKIM and DMARC.

Cons

Sometimes things fail and can take a while to get to the bottom of, some of the reporting feels lack lustre and limited given the volume of emails we send. Support has at times been slow to get back to us, although they always do come back with answers.

Amazon SES

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid

Had used it previously for a large scale operation.
Roger
Roger
  • Industry: Information Services

Excellent, reliable - I recommend; using for years pre-Twilio

Reviewed on 19/12/2023

Pros

Reliable, excellent delivery rates, clean API - I like 'em.

Have used for years including Pre-Twilio acquisition, and still good service.

Cons

No complaints here. Not sure what to write.

Mailgun

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid

We use both - for different reasons / types - both great products and no wrong answer.
Divaldo
Divaldo
  • Industry: Consumer Services

• Customer Support Software

Fantastic solution for transactional emails

Reviewed on 20/10/2023

Pros

SendGrid is one of the best solutions for me in the transactional email service because it's easy to start using, the free version is generous and the more affordable paid version isn't bad.

Cons

I stopped using it simply because I found another even simpler solution, with lower prices and excellent support. Other than that I would continue to use it.

Richard
Richard

Not the best

Reviewed on 14/09/2022

I would have liked to continue with SendGrid since we spend time upfront in its implementation, but we simply could not continue once we came to the conclusion that it was simply not performing for us as well as other ESPs.

Pros

The pricing and implementation were easy enough but once we ran into some issues with email deliverability I felt like I had to school them on what to do.

Cons

It did not adapt to our needs, primarily deliverability.

Higher Logic Thrive and Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid

I chose all of those options but went with SendGrid originally due to price, ease of implementation and positive email reviews.

• Customer Support Software

Reliable, high-bandwidth, and reasonably priced

Reviewed on 31/05/2022

Overall, SendGrid has been a very valuable asset for our company. Even when we are not fully using every available feature, it's never failed us at a crucial moment, and continues to be a reliable and reasonably priced solution for us.

Pros

Our help desk/support team skews more to the "client's industry specialist" side and less to the tech savant end. That being said, SendGrid continues to be simple to use tool for those that interact with it daily. Setup and further customizations have been simple, and over the course of 10 years, it has continued to prove its value with minimum service inturruptions.

Cons

Our team's only major complaint during our ensure using SendGrid was mostly when it was a less mature product. There were some shortcomings early on with the email marketing and contact management, but there has been considerable progress and improvements in almost all corners of their service and UI.

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid

Our company was VERY small and short staffed when we realized we needed a transactional/API email service. After reading reviews and comparing pricing and features, SendGrid fit our needs the best, especially the pricing packages.
Fernando

• Customer Support Software

Great transactional email platform, very decent for email marketing

Reviewed on 12/11/2023

By far is the best tool we've used for transactional emails, and the last couple years it has done a good job for email marketing. They have very strict policies against cold email, which keeps deliverability high.

Pros

It is very easy to use and deploy. The API is very well documented and the email marketing features can easily be used by non-developers without writing a single line of code. They have a very nice no-code email builder, but it also allows to do it in HTML for more technically inclined users.

Cons

Though it is a great platform for transactional email, the Email Marketing tools are charged extra.

SendGrid is only really good if you get a dedicated IP, which is absent for the cheaper tiers.

Mailgun and Mailjet

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid

Better value at the time, better customer service, and our developers liked the API better-
Martin

API implementation is shaky and there are some 500s that you can't solve

Reviewed on 03/03/2020

After ending up on a 500 error from their server on a simple endpoint to create API keys on subusers, I made a support ticket. I had some answers at first and then the ticket stayed unanswered for 24 days, after which I went to Twitter to push them to answer me. They did answer me and told me to try using the API test tool to see if that would also produce the same 500. It did, it was now pretty clear that the error was on their side. 2 days later my ticket was simply deleted without any answer, I cannot see it in my list anymore. Despite asking them about it on Twitter again, nothing changed... I would strongly avoid Sendgrid if you're planning on using it for anything important.

Pros

If you use the most basic features of SendGrid, it will work and do what you need.

Cons

Don't use Subusers, ever! If you are a company who will need to rely on their subusers feature to provide services to your client, please don't, you're wasting your time and you're better off trying another provider that has the same type of functionality but that actually WORKS and is more simple. 500s left and right, endpoints that simply don't work, wrong documentation, ...

Campaign Monitor by Marigold and Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid

Because it looked more powerful, but that's the thing, it just seems more powerful but when you use it it's actually not. I'm switching to MailGun now.
Nurul Aishah
Nurul Aishah
  • Industry: Financial Services Software
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Simplified email service

Reviewed on 03/11/2021

Pros

Our business application uses Sendgrid for various purposes, including notification, authentication, and transactional data. We migrated from a competitor that was draining our bank accounts and causing a slew of problems. The cost was a good match for our budget and objectives, and the send grid was a perfect fit for us. They provide some handy online manuals to get you started, as well as a variety of configurable options to make sure the device is suitable for you.

Cons

It requires greater adaptability and customization tools to be successful in the long run. I couldn't discover a method to adjust automatic track in UTMs; it can only be activated or deactivated, which isn't convenient. The integrating and installation procedure were the most challenging aspects of implementing Sendgrid for us. However, customer assistance and YouTube tutorials were beneficial.

Abigail
Abigail

An Easy to Use Email Marketing Software

Reviewed on 05/07/2018

The detailed stats from each email campaign is amazing, and the Unsubscribe groups option really helped with GDPR compliance

Pros

1. On the bottom left side of the dashboard is a small reputation percentage bar, that measures your reputation. The bar is updated daily based on your email sends, your reputation goes down if your email bounces or is marked as spam.
2. Stats: SendGrid provides A LOT of data on the performance of your email campaigns, these stats are: Requests, Delivered, Opens, Unique Opens, Clicks, Unique Clicks, Unsubscribes, Spam Reports, Bounces, Blocks, Bounce Drops, Spam Report Drops, Unsubscribe Drops and Invalid Emails. SendGrid also provides stats such as: Global Stats, Category Stats, Category Comparison, Subuser Stats, Subuser Comparison, Geographical, Email Clients & Devices, Mailbox Provider Stats, Mailbox Provider Comparison, Browser Stats, and Browser Comparison
3. A/B Testing
4. Unsubscribe Groups: This is without doubt my favorite feature from SendGrid. When you click on "Marketing" on the left side of your dashboard, and select tour from the drop down, it sort of lists steps to set up for sending marketing emails. Step 3 on the list of things to do is to create unsubscribe groups. Here you can Create groups that represent types of email that you regularly send to your recipients. If a recipient chooses to unsubscribe, they will have the option of selecting which of these groups they want to unsubscribe from.

Cons

1. The Email templates in SendGrids gallery are a bit basic which initially wasn't a problem as I liked creating my own template, but I did not like how I couldn't modify the "columns" module to my taste.

I wanted to create a template with three columns with the center column bigger than the two on the side. The idea was to have my client's images linking to their projects (On their websites) on the side columns, with the write up in the center column.
However, that couldn't be done (At least so far it seems so as I can't find any option to tweak the size/width of each column) as each column has an equal width.

2. No automation function: I'd like to create a sort of If/Then sequence where I can resend an email to a group of people after x days, for example, I'd like to resend an email (With a different heading of course) to people who have not opened the first email after four days.

Anatoly
Anatoly
  • Industry: Information Services

• Customer Support Software

SendGrid offers a great transactional email API, but deliverability & support issues hold it...

Reviewed on 01/08/2018

Easy integration into our platform and deliverability metrics. Dedicated IP, if you pay for it.

Pros

We use SendGrid for transactional emails, such as welcome messages & notifications. Generally, SendGrid offers great tools to integrate emails into a variety of different application platforms and programming languages. We really like its level of detail when checking on the status of emails. Sendgrid is also free for basic transactional emails, which makes it easy to try and ensure it will work with your application. We use a third-party library called Nodemailer with Sendgrid, so switching from a different service to Sendgrid was trivial.

Cons

While the service is easy to use and offers comprehensive email activity metrics, there are a few things about it we didn't like. First, because the free tier uses shared IPs, we consistently had emails that wouldn't get delivered because of IP blocks. There were a handful of IPs that we had that experience with, and it persisted for weeks -- without any support intervention. Sendgrid must have deliverability metrics on their side as well, so I am surprised they didn't drop these IPs from their IP pool proactively. We had to upgrade to the PRO plan, which was the least expensive plan that had a dedicated IP. We also had to pay extra for 30 days of email history, you get 3 days by default. I'd love to see all these options be a-la-carte, but I get that you need to make revenue somehow, and few companies send enough emails to justify jumping to the next paid plan -- unless you NEED that deliverability guarantee that you get w/ dedicated IPs, which we did.

blake

Used to be great but new API is both non functional and not supported at all

Reviewed on 19/09/2019

Currently we are extremely frustrated and disappointed with both the support and the product itself. I would leave tomorrow if we could.

Pros

Originally it gave us full visibility into our emails and helped us get much better tracking on who was receiving what and when. Important to know emails had been delivered as we deal with large numbers of payslips and emails for our clients.

Cons

Recently there's been a change with their new API which has been nothing short of woeful.

We've had multiple clients either having emails not sent (where did they go?) or sending emails twice because they are getting incorrect feedback that the email hasn't been sent. (delivery report being wrong).

This has been for invoices and payslips which are highly sensitive information to be missing or duplicated.

It's made us look like fools repeatedly and our clients are furious. Sendgrid literally has one function which is to send emails and it's failing to do that accurately.

The response for help in these scenarios has been non-existent at best and negligent at worst despite having been a client for over a year. We haven't had a response to urgent requests for over 4 days and our clients are furious.

• Industry: Automotive

The best mailing solution?

Reviewed on 24/03/2023

Pros

I think, that SendGrid might be the best solution for e-mail marketing purposes or sending automated e-mails in some sort of user flow. It really speeds up the development. The desktop/mobile formats make it easy to reliably send pre-specified e-mails.

Cons

Some customizations might not be that straight forward for someone.

Brevo and Mailchimp

Reasons for Choosing SendGrid

Too few customization options.

Brevo
Matt
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Best Transnational Email App

Reviewed on 26/11/2019

We use Sendgrid to send emails from our website and our SaaS applications. This allows us to send emails without worrying about local security surrounding SMTP servers and maintaining the servers and services around email. We love them for their free plan as well as it allows us to test and deploy without road blocks.

Pros

The easy integration with their API and out of box integration with dozens of third parties. Easy to use SMTP gateway service and amazing free to start plan.

Cons

Office365 now blocks most of Sendgrids IP ranges which makes delivery difficult in some cases. You can how ever upgrade to a dedicated IP and this isn't an issue with their software. Other than that, have more than 1 api user on the entry plan would be great but what can I complain about..

Mailchimp Transactional Email

Pricing.
Sheryl
Sheryl
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

SendGrid is one of the best EMS optimized for marketing professionals

Reviewed on 19/06/2022

SendGrid handles all of our mailing campaigns and we are very satisfied with the performance. I like the deliverability and tracking metrics provided by it.

Pros

It's been over 2 years of using Sendgrid for many things within the marketing team. The code editor allows for effective e-mail marketing campaigns. SendGrid has tons of useful e-mail templates.

Cons

SendGrid doesn't have an intuitive GUI to edit like MailChimp. To make a custom e-mail marketing campaign you must know how to code.

HubSpot Marketing Hub, GetResponse, and Mailchimp

Cost and ease of use.

GetResponse and Mailchimp

Budgetary limitations

Suspended Account for no reason

Reviewed on 31/12/2018

very poor support experience

very poor support experience

Pros

it was quite easy to setup to use transactional emails and there was a free tier to start which is great for startups

Cons

the reputation of the shared IP is not really good and we still landed in spam. the biggest problem we had was that from one day to the other my account was supsended because "we were sending spam". No warning upfront, no chance to react upfront - just the information the we are suspended now. The problem: this e-mail came on a Thursday evening (out of office for me) and I reacted on Friday. The support did not answer anymore so we where off over the whole weekend cause their complience team is available only during weekdays business hours. The 24/7 chat support could not help me either. I needed to wait and we lost a lot of signups during those days off. Finally I got an example from them and could identify the problem. What I worry about is the fact that we did not get any warnings and no examples. If they would simply warned us upfront we would have solved everything right away and we would not have lost so many days without transactional emails.

so - really a very poor support experience.

Cristian

• Customer Support Software

Good features, worst customer support ever..

Reviewed on 07/09/2020

Works fine until it doesn't. I would search for a provider with better customer support.

Pros

It has a good set of features, not many competitors covers all the functions provided by SendGrid

Cons

The customer supports is very bad. It was quite much better before it was bought by Twilio. When you have problems with their platform suddenly stop working (we stop getting emails for 2FA, pass reset, etc in a few days and delivery rate dropped below 20%). Their support was not responsive and their only option was to pay for more dedicate ips, increase or cost by x6....and only for sending a few emails per day.

Mailchimp Transactional Email and Mailgun

Better reputation.
Shuhan

• Customer Support Software

Unacceptable random errors for a utility product

Reviewed on 26/02/2021

Pros

Generally set and forget for the years that we've used them, but reliability has been a major problem recently -- see cons.

Cons

Ever since last September, we've had about a 1% error rate with Sendgrid due to random 406 errors. Based on what we've seen on the internet, we're not the only ones. As a utility integration that the rest of our software depends on, this is wholly unacceptable. Imagine your product, and imagine that 1% of emails your product sends just randomly fail.

Sadly, their support has no drive to actually solve the problem. We've been back and forth with their support for months now with no resolution. The last three interactions are about them asking about a different key in our request, one key at a time. This is the interaction after "escalation". At this point, we might get through describing a single API request by the end of the year.

Strongly recommend to just go with any other vendor that actually works. As a utility play, there is no way you can afford to spend time worrying about whether your email provider is reliable.

• Customer Support Software

An excellent email marketing platform

Reviewed on 12/06/2023

The API is cost-effective due to its low operating expenses and lack of application development requirements. Even as a simple SMTP gateway, the API may execute a variety of tasks. These comprise distribution results and bounce information, which enable proper operation. The original enables MTA SaaS services. It is used to display messages from the service provider and to notify the public of impending announcements. It is difficult to function with an original nowadays since it could be utilized as a spam pass-through by hostile third parties. It can, however, operate safely if suitable security measures and patches are implemented on a regular basis. Using the SendGrid service liberates business owners from tasks over which they have no control.

Pros

An wonderful platform, particularly for novices. It provides free trial packages for life, 100 emails every day, and an SMTP feature that can be linked with a program. Emails can be recorded and Follow Up can be done, as well as accurate analyses through development. There are numerous benefits, and it is easy to create an HTML form to place on a landing page or your website to enroll individuals in a mailing list for a charge.

Cons

Haven't really thought about anything negative with this.

Best Transactional Email Service Out there

Reviewed on 09/06/2022

Extremely satisfied till now and have been using it for the past 4 years.

Extremely satisfied till now and have been using it for the past 4 years.

Pros

The uptime and delivery monitoring service is the best in class. No doubt large enterprises like Uber, Spotify, etc. use sendgrid for their email delivery. Additionally, its overall communication tools suite like Twilio SMS, Whatsapp business make it an all in one solution for all the communication related APIs

Cons

Probably needs a little elaborative developer documentation with respective to example code samples for a newbie.

Brevo and Mailchimp