SendGrid

3.8/5

Vishal

SendGrid - Best Email API for sending marketing emails

Reviewed on 09/08/2021

I use SendGrid for sending communication and marketing emails to thousands of customers every day. Sending close to 100,000 emails per month and the quality of service is quite good. Must say I am happy to use SendGrid.

Pros

The best thing about using the SendGrid Email API was the performance measured in terms of email deliverability and server uptime.

The dashboard provides good insights with respect to number of emails sent, delivered and opened. Thus helps a great deal in improving marketing campaigns.

From the deployment point of view, the integration of SendGrid with the existing email service was quite easy and can be completed easily without great efforts.

Cons

As far as technical aspects are concerned, there is nothing which I don't like.

On the pricing front, would like to add my views. Currently, the pricing plans are available as Free (100 emails per day), Essentials and Pro. The Essentials plan starts from 14.95$ per month for upto 40,000 emails a month and the Pro starts at 89.95$ per month. These plans are good for small and medium size websites.

Would be good to see if a new Basic plan is introduced for a low starting price of 4.95$ per month and offering upto 10,000 emails a month. Such a plan would be highly suitable for extra small website applications who have a limited customer base.

Sendinblue

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid

Going by various product reviews and comparing the various plans offered by different vendors, we decided to select SendGrid as the best choice for our email requirements.

We wanted to try using a new tool

Reviewed on 22/08/2022

Pros

The developers started using Sendgrid to confirm that the emails provided on the portals we created were valid ones. Later on, our marketing team also started to use Sendgrid to blast emails and follow up on how our users interacted with the content we sent. We used to work on another software but we didn't use it's full package and we found it too expensive. So, we ended up switching to Sendgrid and it's doing a good job so far.

Cons

Not the easiest software to use to be honest. The visual of it is just too much information dispayed directly, can be very confusing at first.

Varun

• Customer Support Software

Good email marketing tool for budget friendly

Reviewed on 21/12/2022

Good product

Pros

Its very useful for ours to sending transnational email using API key in Laravel project.

Cons

Sendgrid need to improve domain validation methods in some domain registrars.

Paul

After 10 years - they banned by account without notice

Reviewed on 28/03/2022

I used the service for 10 years, sending telephone call receipts and email notifications from clients sites, not had any issues, then this last year clients started complaining about receiving emails at night. I thought that was odd, turns out that Sendgrid IP address was blacklisted, very expensive to upgrade to a dedicated IP address, so put up with the multitude of issues throughout the year - then last time complained about deliverability I then suddenly got an email to say "We have reviewed your account and have determined that Twilio’s services cannot support the content and/or nature of your business. "

What an absolute JOKE, never host mission-critical email with these clowns - why suddenly an issue after 10 years! and why so careless suspend my account!

Pros

Basic SMTP - no really a lot to like in fact it's awful

SLOW support

Sendinblue

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid

because I thought Twilio would be reputable, I spend 3,000 a year at twilio, and they just cut my email off like that
Nicolas

Send email easely to yours lists

Reviewed on 12/11/2022

We already use our own software to manage mailing list so we use this only in email delivery and SMTP : it's a very good product for that - SMTP is not a pain to configure and delivery go to inbox in most of the cases

Pros

very easy to use. we don't need any list management so review is only for SMTP and email delivery. This solution make great job and it's really very good to deliver compared to other product.

Cons

Sometime, mail could take some minutes before being send so that could be an issue for transactional email.

Richard

Not the best

Reviewed on 14/09/2022

I would have liked to continue with SendGrid since we spend time upfront in its implementation, but we simply could not continue once we came to the conclusion that it was simply not performing for us as well as other ESPs.

Pros

The pricing and implementation were easy enough but once we ran into some issues with email deliverability I felt like I had to school them on what to do.

Cons

It did not adapt to our needs, primarily deliverability.

Higher Logic Thrive and Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid

I chose all of those options but went with SendGrid originally due to price, ease of implementation and positive email reviews.
Sagi
  • Industry: Gambling & Casinos

High potential

Reviewed on 01/11/2021

Has high potential, very secure with 2FA, limit the amount of templates you can have in each account and overall ok

Pros

Easy to use API, advanced features, relatively friendly and very secure with 2FA foreced on you and every user in the system

Cons

Customer support can improve significantly (didn’t reply to my ticket for more than 2 months, I had to approach the sales department for making sure my ticket is reviewed)

Sherwin

Reliable email deliverability

Reviewed on 14/01/2023

We used SendGrid to send transactional emails to clients. It's more reliable than sending these messages from our own web server.

Pros

SendGrid ensures your emails are delivered reliably and on time.

Cons

No dislikes. The service was easy to set up and use.

Shaikat

A Decent Email Marketing Tool

Reviewed on 10/01/2023

Overall, it's a good starting point for beginners.

Pros

For a beginner, the free plan offers 100 emails/day, which is alright to get started. Besides, SendGrid offers API and Webhooks in all their plans, including the free tier, which is highly appreciated. The setup process is relatively easy, and the email delivery rate is decent. Overall a good tool for email marketers.

Cons

The essential plan doesn't have email validation functionality, which is a bummer!

mark

SendGrid

Reviewed on 09/01/2023

We are very happy with the sendgrid we use for emal verification. I wish they had 200 posts a day instead of 100.

Pros

Although it took some time to move the screen we prepared in Figma, generating the template id immediately made our job much easier. It's great that 100 messages a day are free

Cons

It is very bad that there are not enough ready-made templates and the design possibilities on the application are limited.

Eddie

E-mail Marketing optimized for Professionals

Reviewed on 07/07/2021

SendGrid is a tool made for those looking for industrial strength e-mail marketing. If you have a small list and want a free tool where you have many templates and can drag and drop designs, MailChimp is the right tool. However, if you are sending millions of e-mails and want to use code and highly technical attributes with tens of thousands of users in your e-mail list you pretty much have to abandon MailChimp and SendGrid is the best tool in the space

Pros

The code editor and how everything is optimized for coding allows for truly beautiful e-mail marketing campaigns. SendGrid can accommodate beautiful e-mail templates that were created in HTML/CSS, you just have to know how to code for it to be useful for you.

Cons

They do not have a way to graphically edit particularly easily like with MailChimp.

To make a good looking e-mail marketing campaign you must know how to code, there are not a lot of templates provided for you to edit or drag and drop. It was not intended as a tool if you would like to drag and drop.

On the upside this got us to learn how to code better.

Mailchimp

Reasons for Choosing SendGrid

MailChimp actually gets very pricey after you exceed 2,000 users. MailChimp also lacks the sophistication you need when you start doing more advanced activities companies like Uber and Spotify do. If you see sent by MailChimp you know it's a small business.

Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid

SendGrid is professional strength e-mail marketing.
Oscar

• Customer Support Software

The best mail service provider for marketing and transactional emails.

Reviewed on 20/05/2019

I have been working with Sendgrid for more than 2 years and it really has been very helpful.

It's perfect when you need to send transactional mails, for example password recovery or notifications to users from your website. or custom marketing campaigns. You can implement on your App easily with his Full Documented API or via SMTP.

The free forever plan is perfect when you're starting a website or application and still do not have enough users. You can also easily upgrade your plan in order to get more emails monthly .

Recommended with closed eyes.

Pros

1. Have AB Testing enable.
2. Manage unsubscribe emails.
3. Easy to Integrate via API or SMTP.
4. Email Reputation indicator.
5.Full detailed report. You can see if the email it's blocked, bounced or delivered.
6. Have a Forever Free plan . (40.000 Emails in the trial period, then 100 Emails Daily forever)

Cons

Send grid interface it's a little bit confuse.

No more cons to highlight, for me it's a perfect tool.

Mailchimp Transactional Email, Sendinblue, and Mailjet

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid

His API have a good documentation and it's easy to implement. The free forever plan . The Price it's low in comparison with the competitors.
Abigail

An Easy to Use Email Marketing Software

Reviewed on 05/07/2018

The detailed stats from each email campaign is amazing, and the Unsubscribe groups option really helped with GDPR compliance

Pros

1. On the bottom left side of the dashboard is a small reputation percentage bar, that measures your reputation. The bar is updated daily based on your email sends, your reputation goes down if your email bounces or is marked as spam.
2. Stats: SendGrid provides A LOT of data on the performance of your email campaigns, these stats are: Requests, Delivered, Opens, Unique Opens, Clicks, Unique Clicks, Unsubscribes, Spam Reports, Bounces, Blocks, Bounce Drops, Spam Report Drops, Unsubscribe Drops and Invalid Emails. SendGrid also provides stats such as: Global Stats, Category Stats, Category Comparison, Subuser Stats, Subuser Comparison, Geographical, Email Clients & Devices, Mailbox Provider Stats, Mailbox Provider Comparison, Browser Stats, and Browser Comparison
3. A/B Testing
4. Unsubscribe Groups: This is without doubt my favorite feature from SendGrid. When you click on "Marketing" on the left side of your dashboard, and select tour from the drop down, it sort of lists steps to set up for sending marketing emails. Step 3 on the list of things to do is to create unsubscribe groups. Here you can Create groups that represent types of email that you regularly send to your recipients. If a recipient chooses to unsubscribe, they will have the option of selecting which of these groups they want to unsubscribe from.

Cons

1. The Email templates in SendGrids gallery are a bit basic which initially wasn't a problem as I liked creating my own template, but I did not like how I couldn't modify the "columns" module to my taste.

I wanted to create a template with three columns with the center column bigger than the two on the side. The idea was to have my client's images linking to their projects (On their websites) on the side columns, with the write up in the center column.
However, that couldn't be done (At least so far it seems so as I can't find any option to tweak the size/width of each column) as each column has an equal width.

2. No automation function: I'd like to create a sort of If/Then sequence where I can resend an email to a group of people after x days, for example, I'd like to resend an email (With a different heading of course) to people who have not opened the first email after four days.

Anatoly
  • Industry: Information Services

• Customer Support Software

SendGrid offers a great transactional email API, but deliverability & support issues hold it...

Reviewed on 01/08/2018

Easy integration into our platform and deliverability metrics. Dedicated IP, if you pay for it.

Pros

We use SendGrid for transactional emails, such as welcome messages & notifications. Generally, SendGrid offers great tools to integrate emails into a variety of different application platforms and programming languages. We really like its level of detail when checking on the status of emails. Sendgrid is also free for basic transactional emails, which makes it easy to try and ensure it will work with your application. We use a third-party library called Nodemailer with Sendgrid, so switching from a different service to Sendgrid was trivial.

Cons

While the service is easy to use and offers comprehensive email activity metrics, there are a few things about it we didn't like. First, because the free tier uses shared IPs, we consistently had emails that wouldn't get delivered because of IP blocks. There were a handful of IPs that we had that experience with, and it persisted for weeks -- without any support intervention. Sendgrid must have deliverability metrics on their side as well, so I am surprised they didn't drop these IPs from their IP pool proactively. We had to upgrade to the PRO plan, which was the least expensive plan that had a dedicated IP. We also had to pay extra for 30 days of email history, you get 3 days by default. I'd love to see all these options be a-la-carte, but I get that you need to make revenue somehow, and few companies send enough emails to justify jumping to the next paid plan -- unless you NEED that deliverability guarantee that you get w/ dedicated IPs, which we did.

Jonathan

• Customer Support Software

An affordable choice for transactional emails with one flaw

Reviewed on 28/09/2020

Overall, the experience was solid. Price and customer service were great. Unfortunately, the spam and email block issue was a deal breaker.

Pros

The pricing is great. Easy to use API with lots of documentations. Their user interface is straightforward. The customer service has always been pretty quick to get back to me. It's a popular service with a lot of integrations available.

Cons

I was a happy user of Sendgrid for a long time, but emails sent with the service always went to the spam folder for Microsoft email services (Outlook, Hotmail, MSN). This could never seem to get resolved, even with a dedicated IP that they offered. Then recently, Microsoft started blocking the emails. I found out this was because a spammer had used their service and got the shared IP blacklisted. They were unable to help me resolve it swiftly, so I had to leave the service, because we have a lot of people who use Microsoft email services.

Mailgun
Abel

• Customer Support Software

We use Sendgrid for many things

Reviewed on 07/02/2021

It's simply pleasant and we're still with them for the simplicity. That can't be over emphasized.

Pros

Two things actually. The transactional email software was what we started with and it was exceptional. The emails were fast and delivered promptly. That made us try the email Marketing feature and we eventually dumped Mailchimp for it. You can have as much as 1000 free subscribers and send 6000 emails per month, not as much as Mailchimp is offering but it gets the job done and we love the simplicity, are there cons? Yes, and I'll get to that shortly. Sendgrid also takes security seriously and never lets you rest until you've turned on two factor authentication even when I'm sure my account is not in that much of a threat, simply not bad.

Cons

Mostly on the email marketing part cause that's what we use more often. The pricing isn't small business friendly and you'd have to pay more to access essential features like automation, not great, you'd have to pay more for that. Dedicated IP, that I get, but automation not available on the basic paid package is kind of a kicker but with email marketing ROI, its probably a great investment but then again, we do make do without it. The software doesn't work well on all browsers and devices sometimes, it happened to us at some point but I reckon its been fixed.

Benchmark Email and Mailchimp
Daniel

HORRIBLE customer support

Reviewed on 06/10/2020

I was a happy customer until July 2020, when suddenly my account was locked "for compliance reasons". I am not a spammer, I only used Sendgrid to relay email to my customers (who want all the email I relay to them). When I was locked, and then summarily terminated, I had no recourse. I provided lots of evidence that I was not a spammer, but the compliance team did not speak with me at all. Customer support took 25 DAYS to respond to my initial ticket, then cut me off 6 days later (no warnings, no recourse, just shut down).

What is worse is that my customers discovered that every email they had that had a link in it, had the link rewritten to be a Sendgrid redirect URL. And since they terminated my account, this meant that my customers could not click on those links any more, and their emails were being held hostage. I tried for 2 weeks to get in touch with them (trouble tickets, emails, and phone calls) and never got a reply to anything.

This is a TERRIBLE company to do business with.

Pros

It was easy to set up, and worked perfectly until it didn't; then, customer support was non-existent.

Cons

Customer support does not answer emails. Compliance team does not speak with me, I could not determine what I had done wrong. They simply left me in the lurch, and held my email hostage.

Nishtha

• Customer Support Software

An amazing email marketing tool for sending bulk emails

Reviewed on 28/09/2022

Awesome!!! Its an amazing tool tool that offers metrics which helps us delivers results to our clients.

Pros

We’ve been using sendgrid for more than 6 months now for our clients and we’ve seen amazing results with it. We’ve seen a conversion lift of somewhere between 10-12% which is great. The thing that I find most useful is it lets you collect signups and feedbacks right into the emails. I know its not some out of the box features but we’ve tried many other tools and we found sendgrid to have the easiest setup. The deliverability rate is also great for a email marketing tools and the metrics that it offers are really insightful. It helps us regularly monitor and reiterate our email sequences to optimise performance.

Cons

I don’t think I’ve noticed any cons yet in my 6 months of usage. Its bug free and easy to set up email marketing tool

ActiveCampaign and Mailchimp

ease of use

Sendgrid - send mail easily

Reviewed on 28/05/2021

Overall I would say their service has been super reliable and mail delivery has been great.

Pros

SendGrid provide simple APIs to integrate with provide multiple programming language support for this. The service can scale and you get price reductions as you go up the tiers. There is also a legacy SMTP server option if you need to integrate older systems.

Cons

Until you reach the Pro plan you only have 3 days of logs available. This can be problematic when trying to troubleshoot issues and can sometimes force you onto a higher tier than you really need.

Amazon SES
David

• Customer Support Software

Great email service for offloading website form emails from web hosting services

Reviewed on 30/08/2019

SendGrid is a great solution if sending emails from your website is critical to your business. It gives you the functionality to inspect and see what emails are being sent and to secure your emails using various security standards (ie. SPF, DKIM, etc).

Pros

Often web hosts have email limits for websites and your contact forms or orders from your site can be shut off without warning. Using SendGrid means you can control your email services from your website and see what emails are being sent and whether they are being delivered. The SendGrid console allows you to view what emails are bouncing and which aren't being delivered (ie. fake email addresses), etc. Also SendGrid support is really great as well and will assist with how to go about securing your email using Domain Keys Identified Mail (DKIM) (or their similarly named solution of this).

Cons

With you could inspect the email bodies within the SendGrid console. Unfortunately you can only search on the email subject, dates, etc, but not the email bodies.

Deepa
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

SendGrid excellent SMTP provider.

Reviewed on 07/08/2022

Pros

SendGrid was our SMTP provider for transactional emails. Using the APIs, the platform can be easily integrated with the backend system and the service can be used right away. Pricing is very attractive and can be integrated with various marketing automation platforms.

Cons

Mails start reaching SPAM box after some time and there is no clear way to analyse how many email are reaching to inbox. Domain and Ip reputation cannot be tracked on this platform.

Alicia

We use and recommend Sendgrid for everything

Reviewed on 23/07/2019

We develop software and often have to send transactional emails, sendgrid helps us protect our domain for SPAM complaints and also provides great tracking information for the emails we send.

Pros

My favorite feature are the logs, we can always find information about a malformed email, a bounce an unsubscription, etc.
I also like the ease of use and the ability to admin several domains under the same account.

Cons

I don't think I have any specific dislikes.

• Industry: Accounting Software

• Customer Support Software

Awesome Marketing platform for client/customer communication.

Reviewed on 21/04/2020

As a developer, I have used it to integrate with the app I was building for feedback of users and SendGrid played a huge role in that. They have a nice dashboard that shows all the marketing and email data and they also have some cool settings for the developers to make it connected with their own website. Overall I would say Its very nice software You could be taking into consideration when it comes to marketing emails to your customers or clients.

Pros

They have some awesome features that make it standstill among other software such as you can send the same marketing or feedback email to all the clients in that database and record the response through it to see what customers are thinking about your product. It's also good for developers to integrate with a website as it has very nice and clean API documentation which allows developers to use it across their website.

Cons

Some of the features from development are very hard to understand and integrate to the website. A person with zero knowledge of this software has to go through the documentation to see what's happening. Also, in the free plan, they give very few free email transactions which can be increased to make it more popular and small businesses can use it without any cost but again pricing and features are their choice.

• Customer Support Software

A good fit for our startup

Reviewed on 30/12/2020

Overall, it is a great email API service that boosted our business and helped us to gain traction

Pros

We liked the fact that we could start with a free tier and when we grew and knew we had a good business transform our account to a PRO plan

Cons

1. The BI capabilities could be much improved.
2. Sometimes there are weird errors, like if you have duplicates in the TO field.

Mailgun

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid

We got a generous free tier
Reece

As Advertised

Reviewed on 10/02/2021

I used SendGrid for a couple of years and found my experience to be aoslid and hassle-free. Some emails would get dropped but that was very rare.

Pros

SendGrid is a solid email management service which I would recommend to anyone just getting started with large-scale email sending. They have a wide selection of excellent tools, great support and a nicely designed website.

Cons

Some tools are a little hard to find and understand. It might improve with better navigation and documentation.