Harvest

Online time tracking, invoicing & project reporting

4.2/5

Eileen
Eileen
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

• Customer Support Software

Time tracking tool, with great potential

Reviewed on 11/04/2023

Harvest provides a set of capabilities that facilitate time management, balancing the workload among our employees and boosting business performance.

Pros

This is a very intuitive tool that allows you to track time from any device, without any complications. I like that it provides automatic reminders that keeps our work team alert. It is very useful to verify the workload of each employee and reorganize the operational capacity. It facilitates the planning of all activities with excellent filters that help optimize our organization.

Cons

This time tracking solution has worked very well, I just wish it incorporated more customization options.

Kurt

Harvest is a Perfect Solution for Time Tracking and Billing

Reviewed on 22/06/2022

Everyone in the agency from me, the owner, to all of our team members love using Harvest. It's so easy to use, between the desktop version to the mobile app. It's been a lifesaver to make keeping track of time and budgets for our marketing agency.

Pros

I started my marketing agency in 1999. I used manual, paper solutions for time tracking for the first few years. After much research we found Workamajig in 2004 to switch to an online solution. It served its purpose for many years but everyone struggled with it and found it not user friendly at all. After many attempts we found Harvest in 2018. I played with it for a few days at the end of a month then ripped the bandaid and switched to it on the 1st of a month. It was SO user-friendly everyone loved it out the gate and we have never looked back. It's so great for time tracking and quick insight into projects and budget status at the client, project and task level. I love it!

Cons

It's very hard to complain about Harvest. I really love it. I do wish it had the ability to set budgets for staff by clients/projects so we can see how booked up our team is and better manage their time allocation. There is a second-party project Harvest syncs with to try to do this, but it does not work the way we needed it to so we dropped it after a brief trial.

Ruth

• Customer Support Software

Easy to track time spent working on a client

Reviewed on 26/05/2017

Efficient time tracking that doesn't take much time out of your day and clear visibility on where you are spending your time.

Pros

The chrome extension makes this really easy to track the time you spend working on a particular client. With the click of a button you can select the client you are working on via a dropdown menu and you just hit 'start timer'. When you stop the timer you can also add in some extra details that are great when you're trying to report back on where your time has been spent.

When you log into the desktop version you can view week by week and day by day. You also have access to a dashboard which visually represents where you spent your time.

Cons

Sometimes you leave the timer running - it's really easy to forget that it's running in the background. You don't get a notification until the next morning and so I often have to log back in to correct my time logged.

Will
  • Industry: Graphic Design Software

Timetracking and Invoicing Made Easy

Reviewed on 23/08/2021

In general, I have been very happy with this product. When we originally were researching time tracking and invoicing software this one rose to the surface and it has remained one of the leaders in this space. Having said that, it's not cheap, particularly if you need multiple people on it, so there are definitely options out there that cost less and or are free if that is what you are looking for. It does also provide some integration with Quickbooks that others likely don't have.

Pros

Working in a creative field, I am a person who detests tracking time and invoicing. It takes me out of flow and into a space that doesn't really foster creative ideas or spark the imagination. Harvest makes the process about as painless as possible (let's be real, tracking time will never be entirely painless) and frees me up to focus on what I do and how I best deliver value to my clients and team. For clients that prefer to pay by credit card, it allows you to deliver the invoice via a web portal with the ability to pay via PayPal with your cc.

Cons

I still feel that the project setup scenarios could be simplified and / or streamlined. I've used Harvest for over 10 years and they have consistently added features and addressed certain gray areas that the software couldn't really account for, but I do think that if they were rebuilding the platform knowing what they know now, they would make it even more straightforward and simple from that standpoint.

QuickBooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Harvest

Harvest was simply the best and cleanest designed and most intuitive and user friendly of all of the options that we researched with all the necessary features but not a lot of unnecessary bells and whistles that would be meaningless to most individuals.
Mathew

The gold standard for timekeeping

Reviewed on 21/04/2020

We've used harvest in the past and moved away to other products in the name of trying to fine one software suite that does it all: timekeeping, project management, chat, resource management, etc. Inevitably, we end up coming back to Harvest (alongside basecamp and slack) because it keeps things simple and does its job extremely well.

Pros

Exceptionally easy to use. Intuitive interface design that's obviously been user tested and refined. Every button and feature is exactly where you'd expect it to be.

Cons

This software does one thing really well – timekeeping. We've tried using solutions that try to do more and have gone back to Harvest because there's nothing we don't like about it.

Ken

• Customer Support Software

Truly the best time tracker/invoice management solution I've ever used

Reviewed on 24/10/2019

I use Harvest to track hours on projects and invoice for time spent. I've also used the estimating tool with great success. I also accept online payments through Harvest and Stripe.

Pros

Number 1: great value for the money. So much capability in one product, for a very low monthly fee.
Number 2: They are constantly adding new features, but not half-baked ones. I get the impression the the product and engineering teams are very good at what they do.

Cons

Could use more customizing of expenses and taxes - I'd like to be able to add fees to invoices that are not taxes - like markups for Stripe fees.

Jake

Track your Time and Expenses from Anywhere

Reviewed on 23/09/2019

Overall Harvest has been a great tool to keep my staff hours in check and to monitor staff utilization. It does provide some basic forecasting which has been nice to have as well.

Pros

You can track your time and expenses from literally anywhere with relative ease. Harvest provides: Desktop apps for Windows and Mac, browser extensions, and mobile apps for Android/iOS.

Cons

There are few small things here and there which don't impact the performance of the product but would be nice to have. For example you can create and send estimates but you cannot convert estimates into invoices. Also, some reports can be very long and they can't be filtered.

QuickBooks Time and Toggl Track

Reasons for Switching to Harvest

This product was already in place when I assumed ownership of the company and we have stuck with it as the users happy with it.

• Customer Support Software

Big feature list for time & project tracking but pricey

Reviewed on 05/05/2022

Harvest does everything we need and is easy to use. However there's definitely features we don't need or use that we're paying extra for.

Pros

Lots of great features and the UI makes Harvest nice to use. It's easy to pull time reports for specific resources and projects.

Cons

It's definitely expensive. We are exploring other, more cost-effective solutions in what is now a crowded marketplace.

BambooHR and Clockify

Clockify

Reasons for Switching to Harvest

It's easy to use and the time tracking and reporting fits our use case very well.
Jason
Jason

• Customer Support Software

Great for a small creative business.

Reviewed on 20/04/2021

We've been using harvest for years, and when we were just doing small side projects here and there it met our needs perfectly. Now that our business has grown we need a more powerful tool that integrates bookkeeping and vendor management, in addition to time tracking, billing, and invoicing.

Pros

We love Harvest and its features. From time tracking to billing and invoicing Harvest has helped us grow our business and keep on top of the projects we are working on.

Cons

There are other similar products on the market that offer the ability to send contracts and proposals, as well as products for bookkeeping that integrate many of the same features for not much more in total cost.

FreshBooks

Reasons for Switching to Harvest

At the time, pricing was the deciding factor.
Brent
Brent

Does one thing well - simplicity

Reviewed on 10/05/2022

Meh - wish we didn't need to use it, would prefer the timetracking to happen in our project management software (teamwork) - but that doesn't support timesheets & has very poor high-level visibility reporting.

Pros

Timesheets workflow, high-level time spent/remaining visibility

Cons

Doesn't support sub-tasks, loosely integrated with our project management software (Teamwork)

Laura
  • Industry: Media Production

Wanting for More Features

Reviewed on 29/06/2021

Overall, Harvest does what it needs to do for our company - provide a place to track time worked, on an array of different projects, and report that time worked to upper management. But I think Harvest could certainly add some features to their interface that would increase user productivity, and help guide employees through their work weeks, with an eye on time management.

Pros

Harvest certainly offers a very user-friendly interface. When you log on, it's immediately apparent how to use the software for the basic need of time tracking. The interface is set up to reflect the current week, with the days of the week displayed left to right, and the time you've tracked for each day displayed below it. Each day is broken up into time tracked according to a specific project. If using Harvest in the way our company does, you can create project codes to reflect different projects, so you'll be able to track how long you or your employees are spending on individual projects, or even separate types of tasks within that project.

Cons

I do wish there was a a sort of "Week So Far" tracker feature, that appeared as its own tab in the top menu bar, or perhaps was totaled at the bottom of the screen on the current day's time sheet. At the moment, if you'd like to see the hours you've spent on different projects summed up so far in a given week, you would have to either click into each day, and add up the hour totals yourself, or you go to the "Reports" tab, then click on "Team," then click on your own name under that, where then you would be able to see the total number of hours you've spent on different projects that week. This seems like a simple feature that should be more accessible, or at least more clear to navigate to.

Alex
Alex

A Great, Lightweight App Which Does What We Need It To

Reviewed on 11/12/2018

Overall a very positive experience; the software is very simple to use and does what we need it to (allows us to invoice, view income reports and send client reminders on payments, as well as allow them to pay via card online, from anywhere in the world and for the funds to be filtered into our business bank account. Some limitations persist and I wish the company would listen to the community on such items as the lack of statements facility. However, they do offer a large number of external software integrations for proposals, contracts etc. which beefs out the utility and functionality of the software.

Pros

Harvest is a super-simple app which manages all our client payments and invoicing/reminders for our clients and integrates with Stripe for a seamless payment process. We use it every day and can bill clients in $ or other currencies easily, and provide them downloadable pdf's, payment portals and other functionality (using external app integrations) with ease.

Cons

The in-built feature set is quite limited. To get integration with contract software, proposal software etc. you need further subscriptions with other companies. It would be ideal if it was all built-in. Also, it's missing a huge feature which should be standard on all invoicing apps - The ability to send automated client statements. At any time we may have 5-20 invoices outstanding for some client accounts and, even after 4 years using Harvest we have to manually send links and individual invoice reminders. It's by far the biggest downside of the software and is a big limitation.

Muhammad Adil
Muhammad Adil
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Harvest

Reviewed on 04/07/2021

One of the best tool to track my time on any task or project. The biggest feature is you can track it from your laptop, desktop or mobile, Very easy to manage and dashboard is well layered for easy access the different features. Invoicing is a very powerful feature you can always track and engage with your customer.

Pros

Reporting is a big asset especially virtually. you can easily assign task to individual developer or to the whole team. Track them what is going on and allocate and manage the budget. It is intelligent enough to suggest what part of your project is infected or going strong and you can make your decision accordingly.

Cons

Not very easy to work on it initially but once you are familiar with it then it is going along very nicely. There is need of improvement in there mobile app and also costing is bit tricky as rate change is not very helpful. Moreover for user or developer it is hard to catch his time sheet as summary is not very helpful.

Amanda
  • Industry: Higher Education Software

• Customer Support Software

Harvest is my indispensable freelancing software

Reviewed on 17/03/2020

Customer support is amazing. I really love this software, and will continue to use it indefinitely.

Pros

There is so much to love about Harvest! First, it works, really really well. You set up your project - and YES projects can have sub-projects - and you start your timer. As long as you can remember to start and stop your timer, this is perfect. Every two weeks, or every month, when you need to send invoices, all you do is "create an invoice" and the software auto-generates the invoice, in as much or little detail as you'd like, taking all your time and translating that into a professional invoice. I love the graphics that help track how much money you are making. AND you can even input what you are spending versus what you are charging, in order to ensure that you are actually charging enough to cover all your costs. There is a great place to input expenses and receipts -- this software does it all, for a quite affordable rate.

Cons

The most challenging thing about this software is that you MUST set it up correctly. Take the time at the beginning to get your rates set, ensure that what is a 'billed' and a 'not billed' expense are correct. At the beginning, I was often accidentally putting time into 'not-billed' tasks, when it was just my mistake in setting up my categories.

Brandon
  • Industry: Financial Services Software

• Customer Support Software

Effective and reliable time tracking

Reviewed on 31/10/2023

Harvest has helped us simplify and streamline our processes while maintaining security and organization. This platform is a solid choice for any company looking for an easy to use and secure platform for time tracking.

Pros

I like its intelligent approach and the ability to track our time, expenses and billing in detail. Harvest gives us a clear view of our resources, allowing us to make informed decisions and stay in control. I also value the security it offers, with measures such as two-factor authentication and data encryption, giving us peace of mind in protecting sensitive information.

Cons

It needs to improve its ability to generate customized reports. Sometimes, we run into limitations when we want to customize reports to fit our needs exactly.

• Customer Support Software

Harvest - perfect for time tracking on a project by project basis

Reviewed on 13/01/2021

Overall the experience with Harvest has been mediocre. It is a great way to track time, report hours to clients and bill appropriately. There are almost too many options making it a little difficult to first getting things set up. It is a pain to use if you have little random projects that come up frequently because they then have to be separately added to Harvest as their own job by the project manager.

Pros

Harvest is perfect for tracking time, especially on a project by project basis. It is great for marketing agencies that work under retainer and have to report time spent on specific projects. It is pretty simple to track hours and view hours tracked by teammates and be able to report directly to the client. It is an easy way for managers to track other employees. The invoice feature is great if you use it.

Cons

It almost has TOO many features. Ease of use is great for employees who are simply logging hours, but is very complex and sometimes difficult for the project managers to keep up with. It would be nice if others could add projects (and possibly have to have manager approval) and not have to be added solely by the project managers. It would also be nice to have more of a warning prior to renewing membership. In my instance, we no longer needed to utilize the software, but randomly received a charge on our credit card without prior notification that the program was up for renewal.

Christopher
Christopher

Time tracking from anywhere

Reviewed on 11/09/2023

Allows us to be efficient and profitable without hours of admin.

Allows us to be efficient and profitable without hours of admin.

Pros

The multiple devices and ways to launch the tracker make it fit within our workflow, from phone, tablet, browser, or our PM software, time tracking is easy.

Cons

Takes a little time to set up and use efficiently but once you start people getting used to the system it has a good learning curve.

Steve
Steve
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics

Excellent at what it does, but pricey

Reviewed on 01/01/2022

Overall it's the simplest solution for straight forward time tracking. There are tons of competitors that do similar things, but Harvest was one of the originals in the SaaS space and provides excellent execution and stability.

Pros

I learned about Harvest through the integration with Asana. Although my team doesn't use it for billable time, we do track hours for projects so that we can understand what portions of our product pipeline are consuming the most time, so we're utilizing just one small portion of the overall functionality, which includes different clients, rates, and other features consultants or freelancers would need. That said, what I like the most is the slick integration with Asana right in the app, and the clean clear reporting in the Harvest tool itself. We don't tend to use the mobile app our our usage, but it seems quite good as well.

Cons

The biggest drawback about Harvest is the price for what you get. For a product that does basically one thing, it costs about as much as the Google office suite. The hardest part is that they added a new forecasting tool as a separate product and then that costs an additional monthly fee per user, so instead of extending the capabilities of Harvest itself and giving you more value for your money, they froze the Harvest feature and decided to charge more (fortunately it's an opt-in instead of just raising the prices for all).

Dennis

• Customer Support Software

The best time tracking software out there

Reviewed on 23/11/2017

With Harvest we track more hours than we did with other software. It takes the hassle out of the process. Nobody likes to track his of her hours in complicated and time consuming ways and Harvest solves that problem!

Pros

It does what it does and it does it best! Time tracking on projects has never been so easy for our organisation. We have used multiple time trackers, but were never pleased with the wat we neede to register the hours we make for our clients. The mac, windows and iOS/Android apps work great. New projects are available instantly and starting / pausing the time tracker is wonderfully done. Managing the projects, budgets and tasks is really easy and if you like, you can integrate it with Harvest Forecast and plan your team ahead.

Cons

Harvest lacks decent support of monthly retainer 'projects'. It's not a show stopper for us, but it makes us do manual checks of the hours we make for our clients. I would love Harvest Forecast to be part of Harvest by default instead of the invoicing functionalities, since we use other software for that.

Reka

• Customer Support Software

Good all in one time tracker

Reviewed on 13/02/2023

Overall it is a really good software, would highly recommend for businesses small or large.

Pros

I like how employees can track time based off of categories, so it is clear during week-end review where all their time has been allocated. Categories can be broken down by department and project, so billable hours are also clear. Time sheets and project-based hours can easily be exported which makes payroll very seamless. I also like the expense tracker feature as well.

Cons

It is a bit tricky to get used to at first, employees also agree that navigating Harvest as a new user can be a bit overwhelming. I wish there were also more integrations with expense tracking, so accountants can directly receive the expenses for their upcoming payroll. I also wish time off had more integrations, because integrating our HR software to time off tracking would make it more consistent with our records and eliminate the need to check both applications.

Jessica

We LOVE Harvest

Reviewed on 15/02/2018

Pros

Harvest is incredibly easy to use, and doesn't try to be more than it is. It is perfect for tracking time (the iPhone app is great, too, as it allows you to start and stop time on the go) and expenses, and conducting billing. It also has a surprisingly great reporting section, which is helpful for understanding your own productivity and opportunities. Harvest is also wonderfully customizable to fit your office's individual needs.

Cons

This is so nitpicky, but that is because Harvest is so great, and has so little to improve upon: I wish there were multiple pre-set messages you can send. The current system allows for a thank you message and a "balance due" message. Our office, like many law firms, I imagine, has two balance due messages: money due for work performed, and money due to maintain a required trust deposit. Currently we have to manually change this. Not at all a deal breaker, but it would be a very welcome update in the future.

Amanda

A freelancer's best friend

Reviewed on 23/01/2020

No more tracking time on projects through notebooks and spreadsheets, or losing track of outstanding invoices. It's all there, easily accessible from a single online platform. For my solo enterprise, it's less than $15/month, which is an incredible bargain.

Pros

- So easy to do everything: time tracking, invoicing, expenses. The whole platform is intuitive and easily navigable.
- Flexible time tracking: either setting a timer or entering into a timesheet-like interface.
- The system can send invoice reminders on your behalf, so it's not like you personally bugging your contact.
- You get to choose -- through checkboxes -- how detailed you want your invoices to be.
- Invoices are globally configurable, so you can set up your template with logo, recurring info, etc.
- At a glance, you can see how much you have invoiced/received over the year/last year/etc. and which invoices are outstanding.
- Every end-of-week you get a report that shows how you spent your tracked time.

Cons

I haven't encountered anything to dislike about this platform, though I haven't yet used all of its features.

Jennifer
Jennifer

• Customer Support Software

Don't fear, Harvest is here!

Reviewed on 26/06/2020

Harvest saves me so much time by tracking my work hours. Invoicing is a breeze.
My clients have an...

Harvest saves me so much time by tracking my work hours. Invoicing is a breeze.
My clients have an easy time paying invoices through a couple of clicks of buttons. Harvest offers many integrated payment options that I have found to fill my company's needs and were quick to set up.
The simplicity of the layout of the website makes everything so simple.

Pros

Harvest tracks my time with the click of a button. I select the project and hit go. Then I stop the timer when complete. Invoices are made at the end of the month very quickly. It takes less than a minute to create and send each invoice to my clients.
Never once have I had an issue with the site being down, or any other inconveniences.
The Chrome extension helps a lot.

Cons

I have little use for most of the reports, however, they may be geared towards larger companies. Otherwise, this software is great.

Response from Harvest

Thank you for your trust in Harvest and for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate it!

Khuram

Harvest is awesome!

Reviewed on 13/03/2019

Overall, Harvest is incredible. It's one of the best SaaS products out there. For time-tracking specifically, we found it better than other platforms such as Toggl. The user experience is super simple and it's got great reporting.

Pros

Harvest takes minutes to set it up and is so user-friendly, user adoption happened incredibly quickly. It was the fastest program our team adopted compared with other solutions. Firstly, the platform is accessible through multiple devices ranging from web to desktop to browser extension to mobile app to integrations with Jira. Everyone is different and the platform adapts to almost everyone's needs. Secondly, as an admin, I can go in, add users, add projects, add tasks, classify tasks as billable or non-billable, and add a bill rate if applicable. Thirdly, the platform can set reminders and people self-manage. Each week, I get everyone's timesheets on the dot, I review them, send them back if they need more information, and focus on analyzing data instead of trying to get everyone to give me updates. I love the project view because I can see where we are spending money, where we aren't, and where we need to shift resources accordingly. It's even great for reimbursements - you just snap a photo and add can add the item via the mobile app.

Cons

As a digital agency, we don't always bill by hourly rate or fixed firm price. Some of our clients are on monthly retainers which sadly Harvest doesn't include. It's not a deal breaker for us, but it's something that would be nice to have.

April
April
  • Industry: Market Research Software

Great program with a lot of features

Reviewed on 27/04/2019

My overall experience with Harvest is as a project manager and using it to track employees time, and set up and manage budgets for projects.

Pros

What I liked most about this software is that it has a ton of features for time keeping, budgeting, and payroll. This is one of the more comprehensive time keeping programs I have seen. It has different levels for employees and managers to log in. It is super easy for employees and contractors to log in adn out to keep accurate track of time and hours. It has budgeting functions for payroll, projects, etc. I really liked this program!

Cons

The one big negative I can say about this program is the cost. They charge per person using it and it can get pretty pricey when you have a lot of employees or contractors using it. It would be better if they offered it for a flat rate or monthly flat rate.