Informer

Business analytics system for education & insurance sectors

4.8 /5 (56 reviews) Write a Review!

• Industry: Higher Education Software

Great tool for higher ed

Reviewed on 09/01/2019

I've been using Informer for at least 8 years in my current research position at an institution of higher education. It has been a fantastic tool that has allowed me to more effectively and efficiently perform the duties of my job.

Pros

I absolutely love Informer. It is incredibly user-friendly and very intuitive. Nearly everything I know about Informer is self-taught. The dashboard feature was a bit more difficult to figure out, but I was still able to do it and it provided a fantastic overview of the data that our higher administration was looking for.

Cons

There is not really anything that I dislike about Informer. The only issues I run across are with regards to locating pieces of data and that is not really an Informer issue.

Teresa A.

Informer Review

Reviewed on 02/10/2020

Pros

The ease of writing a simple report for use.

Cons

Having to restart the entrinsik service several times a day.

Deborah J.

• Customer Support Software

Great Tool for Reporting and More!

Reviewed on 14/10/2015

We have used Informer for about 8 years. This product is easy to use for novices, but also has many powerful features for more advanced users. One mission-critical use is to populate other systems with the "scheduled report" feature. Data can be exported to other servers at programmed times. For example, we use this to keep our website populated with directory and class schedule information.
The customer support is also outstanding. Both complex and simple questions are answered quickly and accurately.
I would highly recommend this product!

Duane R.

• Customer Support Software

Very easy to write 'quick' reports for users. Flexible with SQL or Informer commands

Reviewed on 19/10/2015

Native SQL is very easy to use and is generally good for all reports. Some more complex SQL functions may give issues but for the most part queries can be transferred from SQL queries directly to an Informer report.
Reports can be created within minutes and unless complicated links are used can be run very quickly. Informer reports have saved our users a lot of time and efforts because of the ease of getting data.
Support on issues (customer service) and regular updates to the Informer application is very good and timely.

Cyrus C.

Informer

Reviewed on 13/10/2015

Fairly easy to use but does require an understanding of the data source to pull in the data for reporting purposes. No so much work to get it operational. Could improve (current version 4.5) on connecting or combining multiple data sources for reporting. Offer more options for exports file types.

Michael T.

• Customer Support Software

Fantastic product with incredible support

Reviewed on 13/10/2015

We use this software extensively on campus and our end users really like the ease and convenience of the product. Informer has solved so many of our reporting needs and now with the addition of Dashboards, we are able to deliver meaningful c-level reports to all the appropriate decision makers.

Mariza T.

Easy, self-service reporting.

Reviewed on 02/10/2015

It is really easy to use, with an intuitive interface. Allows you to create ans share reports and dshboards, does analytics and connects to almost all kinds of databases out there.

Tara M.

Reviewed on 20/10/2015

I currently request reports from our SIS from the IT department for use or scheduling. Processing the created reports is user-friendly.

Jennifer B.

Powerful Tool for Database Reporting

Reviewed on 05/10/2020

Overall I really have no complaints. The customer service is extremely responsive and the software itself is constantly be improved and enhanced. We've used Informer for over 10 years and the product of today is far superior to what we started with. Also, the support team really listens to user feedback and tries to incorporate as many suggestions as possible into new releases.

Pros

I like the fact that Informer is able to connect to various databases which makes reporting seamless to the end user. We are currently using it for unidata, SQL and mySQL. Being able to create reports that pull from one or even all 3 databases simultaneously using a web interface has really allowed us to put the power of reporting into the hands of our users and reduced the reliance on IT to create custom reports using Colleague, or another web interface.

Cons

The online documentation is not as extensive as many other products. There is a help center, but it seems as though most clients prefer to email support to have questions answered rather than post it to an online forum. I think the biggest improvement that could be made is really building up the forums to make it easier to share resources and get answers to more simple questions.

Arlo M.
  • Industry: Publishing

• Customer Support Software

Great BI tool at an affordable price

Reviewed on 27/11/2018

We have had some difficulties setting up Informer 5, but the support has been very good, both knowledgeable and timely.

Pros

I like that it's an affordable tool for a smaller company. It is intuitive to set up reports and dashboards and being able to report across multiple data sources is key.

Cons

There are features in Informer 4 that I need (comma-separated filters), so until that exists I have to use both Informer 4 and Informer 5. It would be better to be able to just use 5 for everything.

Iqbal K.

Easy to Use and User Friendly

Excellent for Dashboards and reporting

Pros

ease of use and user friendly best for price/performance ratio

Cons

Intergration with other business process is easy to handle

Jesse O.

• Customer Support Software

Infomer is intuitive to use and easy to install and deploy across multiple databases

Reviewed on 13/10/2015

I recently selected Entrinsik Informer to fill a need for real time and scheduled reporting in a distribution environment with Infor SX.e (ERP), Infor Storefront (Ecommerce), TWL (Warehouse Logistics) Tour de Force (CRM), and a new Infor Proof of Delivery product.

Software installation and connecting to various data sources was very easy and support was very helpful. I was in production with the product literally within days and without a drawn-out, expensive, resource intensive implementation. Their people are absolutely top-notch.

Out of the box, the product is pretty much a blank slate. That's was exactly what I was looking for. It is not a prebuild set of management tools/reports/dashboards that are already integrated with my specific ERP.

You will want to have some knowledge of your databases if there is not a mapping suite already available. That has not been a problem for the platforms/dbs I've mentioned but it's something to be mindful of.

Also it would be helpful to know javascript for certain field calculations - I've never really worked with javascript before and it's something I've picked up while working with the product.

Overall, I'm a really big fan of the product. Pretty much right out of the gate, I was building near real time alerts for conditions that required action throughout the day, I was building reports and dashboards for a Proof of Delivery app that is in development and for which those tools just didn't exist yet in the app. I created reporting that helps keep customer data consistent between ERP, CRM and ecommerce systems. I was able to create loss prevention alerts on access to sensitive databases. I've pretty much accomplished in the first few months what I set out to do with the product initially and now, I'm working on finding new ways to use the product.

I will say that one specific advantage to the product and one that I can ROI the thing with all by itself is in managing user licenses for other products. I have been able to use the 'Live Excel' capability to give access to real time queries from various dbs without having to pay for/manage additional user licenses for other products.

I recommend the product and look forward to collaborating with other users.

Ted D.

Very intuitive software.

Reviewed on 13/02/2017

This software is easy to use and makes report writing fast and fun. I use it on a daily basis, easy to import into Tableau.

Pros

its easy

Cons

logging in

Terry T.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Great Software!

Reviewed on 02/10/2020

Overall this software meets most of our goals of dashboard creation and end user functionality.

Pros

The software is very easy to use. Dashboard are an excellent and easy way to visualize data.

Cons

I would like to see more drop down menus for end uses instead of filtering.

Monte C.

• Customer Support Software

Informer is an incredible reporting package. I can't imagine being without.

Reviewed on 13/10/2015

I am generally extremely stingy with my star ratings, so 4's and 5's mean a LOT to me.

The company:
Everyone that I have worked with, from sales through support has always been prompt, polite, and most important, very helpful. I've never had a problem getting a hold of anyone at Entrinsik, and can generally count on quick resolutions.

The product:
Informer is easy to use for the non-technical users, yet has flexibility for the more advanced users. We utilize Informer for many different functions around the college. We have about 150 automated reports, some sending emails, some creating saved lists, some saving files to the server to be transferred elsewhere. Many of the schedules have been set up and forgotten. This may sound odd, but it means that we don't have to "baby-sit" the process. It runs without needing assistance, which lets us spend our time elsewhere.

In short, we love Informer. :)

Ed C.

• Customer Support Software

Informer is an outstanding institutional reporting solution.

Reviewed on 13/10/2015

I find that Informer allows us great flexibility in report writing. Existing SQL queries or those developed using other tools can be copied directly into Informer where they can take advantage of Informer's access control and distribution features, as well as analytics, charting and other features.
For less experienced users, complex data relationships can be simplified through data mapping allowing novice users to develop queries and get needed data quickly and easily using Informer's report definition features. Of course this requires an experienced person to set up the data mappings first, but once that is done, inexperienced users will have no difficulty getting the data they need.
I also enjoy the ease with which I can combine data from multiple sources into a single report.
As a new user, I have found the training resources to be very good and the product easy to learn and use.

Trev S.

Informer provides AAA reporting software

Reviewed on 13/10/2015

Informer has saved me hours/months/years of programming reports from our legacy software and has allowed data to be transferred to dashboards with ease. Being realistic from a Pick system you must setup your dictionaries correctly and make sure you can snap periodic data, but once that's done it's not only easy, but it's fun to use. And the main thing is Entrinsik listen to customers. It may not look like ms powerbi at this stage but it has quality and beats salesforce who don't yet have trend charts. Well developed and qa'd entrinsik!

David B.

• Customer Support Software

Best reporting product for the price!

Reviewed on 13/10/2015

Informer has proven to be a tool we can't do without on our campus. This tool has provided us with the ability to provide ad hoc reporting to any user whose job demands reporting. The ability to schedule reports to be run keeps us up to date on a lot of things we struggled with in the past. Plus, the ability to export reports in various formats has proven to be very helpful. Informers ability to traverse the database is super powerful and a huge time saver.

Linda M.

This makes my job easy!

Reviewed on 03/04/2019

I have a huge database that I am working with and had to implement a new policy. In order to do that, I had to run a report with certain parameters, extract the data results from the entire database, export it, and then upload it into another system to trip some alert flags.

Pros

I love that I can add a query in Informer to extract out exactly the data I need from tons of records based on the criteria I add.

Cons

There is a learning curve but once you get it down, it's awesome!

Doug N.

Excellent Reporting Made Easy

Reviewed on 13/10/2015

Informer is so easy to use and configure. We currently run multiple database types with ease and have the ability to combine data from multiple data sources into a single report. Informer can also schedule reports and deliver them via email or written directly to a file or network location. Informer makes managing thousands of reports simple and intuitive.

Matt M.

Informer is easy to use

Reviewed on 13/10/2015

I use Informer almost daily to extract information. The interface is very straight-forward and easy to use, but can be a little intimidating for new users.

IT has set it up for us to hit against production (U2) as well as our new SQL-based BI solution. Really nice.

Christy P.

Wonderful Product

Reviewed on 13/10/2015

This product has been wonderful from day 1 and keeps getting better. My only regret is that we didn't have it sooner!

Christopher S.

Powerful and innovative BI player

Reviewed on 12/10/2020

Pros

The thoughtfulness behind design has made this tool very versatile and scalable. Data modeling flexibility, built-in drilldowns, and powerful conditional calculations and formatting are among the strong differentiating features for this tool.

Cons

The dashboard designer leaves a little to be desired.

Camille W.

• Customer Support Software

I don't know how I ran a company without it!

Reviewed on 02/10/2020

Pros

It's versatility is second to none, allowing us to capture countless metrics and data for any aspect of our business.

Cons

It can be overwhelming getting started, but its ease of use comes quickly and it's well worth the learning curve!

John C.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Informer Rules

Reviewed on 29/11/2018

No longer spending ages writing reports in Visual Studio based on SQL views. Can leverage old views in Informer and connect in directly to database as well. I've only crashed it once running a rogue query, it is very dependable.

Pros

Allows us to plug in several different data sources to quickly build and run user friendly reports. Quick formatting and sort options, easy aggregation, fast loading. Supports lots of formats for data export. A real software Swiss Army knife for reporting.

Cons

The search functionality could be improved a little bit to be more keyword based than literal.