1,020 reviews

ActiveCampaign

Email Marketing, Marketing Automation, CRM/Sales Automation

4.6 /5 (1020 reviews) Write a Review!
4.6
4.3
1,020 reviews
Néstor M.
Company size: Self Employed

This guys know how to do things the right way

Reviewed on 06/09/2019

Let me say it clearly: A-W-E-S-O-M-E

Trust me, they are the "real deal".

Pros

Instead of boring the hell out of you making a long list of all the things I like about AC, I would resume them in just 3 "little" things I care of:

- Reputation: They REALLY care about sender reputation. And, you know... an email that doesn´t get to my suscribers is like loosing money out of my pocket. So, I´me really happy the way they´re handling things on this department

- Ease of use + functionalities: Most other services only offer one of them things. But I want them all. AC covers all my needs regarding this issues (and I´m a choosy guy, you know).

- It´s scalable!: This is a biggy. As your businees grows, you´ll have a new set of needs when it comes to automation. AC scales as your business thrives so you don´t have to switch companies never again.

Cons

I´m a Spanish user and would love a full Spanish translation (at the moment we hace a partial translation) for Spanish users.

David B.
Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

If I had to recommend a single email marketing and automation tool, it's AC

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 14/12/2020

AC has helped my business and clients alike in being able to seamlessly create email marketing campaigns regularly. In addition, the automation features are helpful to be able to tag specific contacts, start/end automated email series, and so on. There are limitless possibilities, without a *need* to use every feature to make it worthwhile.

Pros

AC provides the best combination of possibilities (features), user experience (ease of use), and pricing (it's affordable!).

Cons

There are situations when you may want a tool that is at the "enterprise" level (e.g., Salesforce) that may provide more options and span more actual product lines. I think it's very situational. But for specifically email marketing and marketing automation for small to mid-sized businesses, AC almost always is a more desirable fit than other platforms considered (e.g., more opportunity provided than MailChimp, all-around better than the terrible system that is ConstantContact, etc).

Aaron B.
Industry: Real Estate

this is the title of my review

Reviewed on 14/08/2019

training training training. I have been trialling and training how to use this product the whole 12 months or so Ive been using it

Pros

love the automation and the campaigns features. I also like that it integrates with my gmail (G Suite) account.

Cons

some of the features are hidden, the layout is really lacking for easy of use. its hard to find and add tags and lists etc. it seems to have great features but they are hidden away and hard to find.

Mike C.
Company size: Self Employed

Best of its kind but getting complacent on the basics

Reviewed on 10/01/2021

I was a huge advocate for AC early on. Now, I temper that because of my frustrations. If they listen to their users more and get down to fixing the basics that are way outdated, they can soon get back to a full 5* experience. But for now, I would say try it out carefully. If you don't need the capabilities that distinguish it from the likes of MailChimp, it probably is not worth the annoying hassles.

Pros

This is high-end marketing automation at mid-market pricing. If you want to automate marketing to a high-degree and with great sophistication, AC allows you to do nearly anything - yet at a price point similar to email marketing tools with little or no automation. That's why I chose Active Campaign and why I stick with it.

Cons

For all of its technical sophistication, there are a few weak points around basics. Its email creation interface feels dated and the handling of image assets is clunky and horrid. Creating restore points and undo is flaky and unreliable. And what makes all this so bad is that users have logged these points for several years as top requests and AC has not addressed them. Instead they add fancy functionality. The basics of everyday use matter and the experience spoils the software for me.

Millie B.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

A good all-rounder

Reviewed on 13/10/2020

Active Campaign is our one stop hub for our sales and marketing activity so we have an almost global view of how our customers and and prospects are interacting with us - the exception is our help desk but I'm sure we could integrate that too if we really wanted to.

We use Active Campaign to track our:
- Sales team interactions - emails, including emails we send from our own inboxes, tasks and follow up tasks, and call records - as long as we enter them!
- We use it to send and tracks all the newsletter/marketing interactions and all our automated emails for customers on free trials.
- We also track key interactions with our own product (though an integration we built ourselves) so the sales team have a quick reference to important behaviours.

Pros

Moved to Active Campaign from Infusionsoft (2 years ago now, before they changed their name) and we were very satisfied at that particular time that Active Campaign was the superior product.

Good marketing and automation tools - which have also had a lot of investment and attention in the two years we've been using Active Campaign - as well as a solid CRM and lead/opportunity management dashboard.

We have the Enterprise Grade subscription which gives us access to a dedicated account manager. This was really useful in the first year and we had an excellent account manager at that time.

Cons

Active Campaign have really focused in recent years on the live / real time behaviour tools and giving users the ability to build extremely complex automations. For us though, we would prefer a bit more focus on improving the CRM and things that make contact and lead management easier - such as the ability to add follow up tasks from the (otherwise excellent) Gmail widget.

Elisabeth W.
Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Continual support each step forward

Reviewed on 04/10/2020

Even the times of technical challenges I have had were supported from the onboarding specialist and I have maintained what has been taught in each catch up. The technical complications are broken down and made simpler through amazing support. This has included a variety of either in person online, video training, correspondence through email and Q & A pages. I am so happy with what I have set up, it is much more than is needed for where my business is at, however many foundations are created to support my business growth.

Pros

The support is awesome and unbelievable. I save about 10 hours a week with everything set up as what is needed to be done once set up continues to meet the outcomes I created. There are so many options and ways to use active campaign. I use campaigns, automations, contact lists, email sign ups and as my business expands active campaign has so much support which I will continue to use. I am now free myself to do so much more than I could of imagined 6 months ago.

Cons

It is complicated for a non technical minded person.

Jorge A.
Industry: Real Estate

A Must Have in Sales and Marketing

Reviewed on 04/01/2021

Keeping our team all on the same page. Being able to automate several tasks and be more efficient.

Pros

Ease to use and automations. How you can keep track of all the touches you've had with your contact all in one place. And the fact that I can send all my contacts a bulk or text without having to use another software.

Cons

More straight integrations with other software's instead of having to use Zapier

Sjoukje B.
Industry: Online Media

Great automation software

Reviewed on 10/01/2021

I use Active Campaign for all my emails and it has been a total game changer. I have been selling courses for years now using AC and it's the heart of my company.

Pros

I love the automation options of Active Campaign. It saves so much time to let AC do my email marketing. And it's really intuitive, quite easy to learn. I especially like the "jump" functionality, where you can plant a subscriber anywhere in an automation you like.

Cons

Deep data integration is only available in the Plus subscription.

R. michael A.
Industry: E-Learning

Overall LOVE the product, tried a bunch of them

Reviewed on 23/09/2020

I've tried Infusionsoft, as well as a few of the other off the shelf CRM's. As far as breaking up my website, tracking, in setting up campaigns, I really think active campaign is the best bang for the Buck.

Pros

Active campaign gives me everything that I need to set up my autoresponders and links into all the software did I use needs to link into it

Cons

I write a ton of emails and their email composer, well I've used both of their composers, could be a bit better.

Nathan V.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Extensive, not just for email campaigns and automation

Reviewed on 23/11/2020

Pros

To be honest, although ActiveCampaign can be quite complex, it has so many options and it works perfectly. I can use it for my email campaigns, but also for my online courses and automation for my live trainings to name but a few. I do have the CRM option too, but haven't used it yet to be honest. What I am seeing there though is more than interesting and could help me get some more leads.

Cons

ActiveCampaign really takes some good digging in to understand how to set up campaigns. That's what I have a VA for :-) But I would definitely dig into it if I had to do all of it myself as I know it will be worth it.

Allen E.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Critical software for small business/startups

Reviewed on 24/12/2020

Pros

The most critical thing a small business has is their customer list. Being able to communicate with your clients in a timely manner, whether it's regarding safety protocols to build confidence or a promotion/offer to increase revenue. An email marketing system that can properly segment your clients and make it through email filters can make the difference between success and failure in a small business. Activecampaign allows solopreneurs and small companies to compete with big companies when it comes to email marketing, lead tracking and relationship management at a very affordable price. Also, their premade 'recioes' (marketing automations) are such a help so you don't start from scratch.

Cons

There is a learning curve an best practices when starting up. Learning how to create a campaign or even the terminology that Activecampaign uses. However, they make it easier with a wealth of articles, how-to's, webinars, and live support (which is crazy good and fast!).

Jill G.
Industry: Online Media
Company size: Self Employed

My top pick for an email marketing platform.

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 29/10/2020

Overall, choosing Active Campaign as my email marketing service was a terrific decision. I've been happy with it so far and cannot wait to see where it takes my business.

Pros

I love how robust Active Campaign is and at a great price. It integrates well with the many online services and I haven't needed to reach out to customer support for help. I look forward to learning more ways that I can use Active Campaign to grow my online business.

Cons

As I progress through all of the available options and features Active Campaign has for me, I do struggle with knowing which features will help my blogging and email marketing business the most. There are many digital marketers providing courses on email marketing. Yet, I feel held back because I need to learn more about Active Campaign's platform and how it will best help me as a blogger before I can implement many of the techniques recommended to me.

Scott D.
Industry: Law Practice

A Powerful, Affordable Package

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 13/09/2020

Active Campaign is at the center of my online marketing, and I am very happy with it.

Pros

I came from a different autoresponder which had many, many limitations.

A marketing guy suggested ActiveCampaign, so it was one of many I explored when the limitations of the old autoresponder company foprced me to move.

I am glad I moved, and I am very happy with ActiveCampaign. It allows you to set up marketing funnels, forms, capture lead data, tag your visitors and put them into marketing funnels for follow up.

I do not use all of the features, but. I have been able to build pretty elaborate follow up processes for my marketing sytem using ActiveCampaign.

There are a slew of new competitors which CLAIM to do what ActiveCampaign does for less money, and several services which offer website hosting, autoresponder, everything, for more money. I am glad I am with ActiveCampaign because they are established and their have a mature, stable product.

Not the cheapest, but it has features of more expensive platforms. I'd recommend it.

Cons

As with all autoresponders, the user interface and names and locations for things presents a learning curve. Especially for newer people, they could improve their intro and training videos to be more clear.

Keleigh L.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Consolidated so many tools into one

Reviewed on 31/08/2020

Their customer support is beyond great. I’ve sent instant chats to ask questions many times and I’m always impressed by how out of the way their reps go to help me. I even had one rep who built out an entire custom automation for me based on my needs.

Pros

I held back from investing in ActiveCampaign for over a year because of the overall cost. What I didn’t realize then was that I would be able to cancel FOUR other software subscriptions thanks to the robust suite of features that AC has. This software has played a critical role in my ability to grow my business by over 150% this year and I would recommend it to anyone!

Cons

I would give my left leg for AC to have mobile functionality. They don’t have an app and the mobile version of their site is non-functional. It quite literally can only be used on a computer. This is the one place where AC is severely behind their competitors.

Noa M.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

ActibeCampaign is a professional game changer!

Reviewed on 15/08/2020

Overall, an excellent experience, that has transformed my organization's digital marketing and engagement.

Pros

I love the flow of the automations and segmentation.
It's opened a whole new world of opportunities for my organisation.

Cons

I'm not sure whether I have yet to find it, but from the exploration that I've done on the mobile app, I couldn't find tracking for automations, nor for forms. That would come in handy.

As for the software in general, it would have been helpful to be able to see an overview of all campaigns and automations in one place, rather than having automations on one tab and campaigns on another.

Also, it would be helpful if I could go into a sent campaign and resend it to myself (not a specific contact), and access the original message and list of people who received the campaign more easily. Currently feels like I need to go through 2-3 steps each time in order to do so.

Candice P.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

I recommend it to everyone!

Reviewed on 23/08/2020

Pros

I recommend ActiveCampaign to all of my clients for two specific reasons. Easy of use and features. My clients hire me because they are not tech-savvy but ActiveCampaign gives them the freedom to use a robust email marketing platform with ease after getting over a very short and small learning curve. ActiveCampaign has an AMAZING and thorough online help database as well.

Cons

The only thing that I personally find missing from ActiveCampaign is Dubsado integration (although ActiveCampaign has a TON of integrations options so that might be a fault on Dubsado's end). I also think it would be nice to add landing pages. I host my landing pages on my Showit site but it would be a great option for some of my clients who haven't launched their site yet and want to start building their email list.

Andrew T.

ActiveCampaign - Powerful drag and drop automation + Easy to send Emails

Reviewed on 01/08/2020

My experience has been a very pleasant one. Simple to use and fairly intuitive.

Pros

The deliverability of emails is crucial to me (and to most businesses).
A simple user interface comes in a close second.
ActiveCampaign delivers on both (and gives you a comprehensive tutorial series).

I don't make full use of the automations. However, they're drag-and-drop which makes them dead simple to use.

You can also create opt in forms using ActiveCampaign to collect emails. You can embed these forms into pages, or direct users to a link.

Cons

Sometimes it seems like ActiveCampaign goes down which is a problem. I've had people ask me why I sent them a broken link - but the real issue was that ActiveCampaign was down.

I don't have any other big complaints.

A small complaint is not being able to change an email's subject line without clicking a few times.
It would be great if you could change the subject line inside of the email creator.

Morgan G.
Industry: E-Learning

It was wonderful until we needed support

Reviewed on 21/07/2020

Initially we were thrilled with AC due to it’s ease of use and speed. However, recently we ran into a major issue that suddenly started showing up, and is preventing us from moving forward on a vital project. We used the chat, and initially the guy on the chat told us it was the fault of another vendor we had integrated with. After going back and forth, he agreed to look into it, and asked for a bit more information. I went to collect that, and when I came back, the chat had ended. Furthermore, when I tried starting a new chat, it said “chat is offline, you will have to send an email.” I noticed that the chat was disconnected and chat went offline at exactly 12 pm Pacific time, corresponding with lunchtime. This is crazy! Who goes offline in the middle of a chat with customers who pay over $200/month for software just so they can take their lunch break exactly on time?
Now I’m really wondering, can I trust AC when it counts? Because this kind of software is expensive enough and complex enough that it absolutely requires good support. So far, I’m not impressed. (Previous less critical support inquiries were eventually answered, but not particularly quickly).

Pros

AC is very easy to use and to set up. It’s more intuitive than most similar products we’ve tried. When it works right, it’s great.

Cons

Software like this is complex, and things inevitably break or have bugs. We have used most of the major platforms out there, and they all have periods of bugs and issues. Once you run into it, the only question is this: will support be there to help? Not AC support, not if it’s lunchtime.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Aidan L.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Thorough Email & CRM Software

Reviewed on 12/07/2020

Pros

AC is easily deployable and compatible with the rest of our tech stack, and this makes it easier for us to justify our continued use of it. The automations are easy to build, but complex enough to go further should you wish to. The email marketing system is thorough, and does what it says on the tin, The reporting capabilities are strong, and it is useful to have this all tied in with a clear CRM and Deal flow management system. The support team at AC are generally great, and depending on what tier you are on, they also provide generous support to their customers to make sure they succeed.

Cons

Sometimes the software bugs out, and doesn't do what you are asking it to do, although this is usually resolved quickly. The entry price for the higher tiers could be slightly lower.

Gabby C.
Industry: Writing & Editing

Satisfied with Active Campaign

Reviewed on 12/07/2020

I've used several different email marketing software providers but when I switched to Active Campaign, I was finally satisfied with one. It was easy for me to get started using it and that was a big factor for me.

I like how the automations are similar to advanced email software and are easy to use. All the commands that I need are in the automations so I don't have to do a work-around.

Customer service has been helpful each time I contact them. When needed, they send me the exact link to the documentation I need, or answer my question.

Overall, I enjoy using Active Campaign and find it easy to use. The pricing is fair and I believe I get more value compared to other companies with similar pricing.

Pros

More features than other software at similar pricing
Pricing is fair
Easy to set up
Fast start to using the software
Good documentation
Good customer service that points to documents when needed

Cons

I don't know all of the features or how they could help my business - more explaining how things work would be helpful so I can decide if I want to implement it or not

Nick B.
Industry: Management Consulting

Amazing

Reviewed on 07/07/2020

I have used AC with an ecommerce store selling $3-4m per year, as well as several consulting firms and info product companies. It works amazing for all these use cases.

Pros

It's very rare to find so much functionality while retaining ease of use. I've been a consultant implementing and managing marketing automation and CRMs for 10 years, and AC has become my go to solution for all my clients. The CRM has come a long way in the past few years and now beats just about all of them that do both CRM and Automation. The integration with Ecom platforms like Shopify are also a huge benefit.

Cons

For years I would tell clients if they needed a CRM and they were doing personal sales that they should use Infusionsoft, but I can't say that anymore. Infusionsoft's CRM has become worse over time while AC's CRM has become much more powerful. One thing I wish AC would add is more functionality in the math actions for changing fields. If we could use different fields and formulas in the math to make calculations for custom fields, rather than just simple +-X/ then that would be amazing. I currently have to use Zapier to do that and it's not even that great with Zapier.

Antonio L.
Industry: Human Resources

My first marketing automation platform, its about to pay for itself

Reviewed on 06/07/2020

As a startup founder, It is really difficult to choose the right platform to commit with. You have free options and very expensive ones. So Active campaign was a great option for me, right on the sweet spot.

Their customer success team is the best. I have had three on boarding one-on-one calls where they have understood my business and helped me with all the setup, resources and best practices to start using it the best way possible.

It is a very robust system, I only use the email automation, segmentation and I am starting to use their CRM, but the posibilites are endless. So far I love it

Pros

It is super easy to setup and use
The best customer support I have ever had on any kind of service/product
A thorough on boarding process, with personal coaching
You can automate every single part of your marketing funnel and still have a nice personal touch with your best leads
Endless possibilities to interact with your customers and prospects and track every behavior with you

Cons

It is so wide that I find myself a little overwhelmend on how to take as much as possible from the system without burning out.

I am in the 2,500 contacts bracket, and I think its price is fair. But when I have to sacle it up, it will seem pricy

Ray F.

Easy to Use, some bugginess

Reviewed on 30/06/2020

Overall, everything is very nice. The pricing is reasonable, and the additional features were unexpected as I was sort of grandfathered in to them.

Pros

This is a very legitimate mailchimp competitor, well-priced. The CRM functionality surprising, and there are really nice web insights (WordPress user here) that I could glean at-a-glance & give to my sales team via their plugin/javascript.

They just recently added conversations (chatbot) automations, which were great to see. The chatbot was slick & never glitched out on me. It's not quite an Intercom replacement, but if you're not familiar with Intercom you'd be over the moon with this.

The email automations are hands-down the best aspect of ActiveCampaign.

The automations & workflows are visual-based & made it incredibly easy & user friendly for a once-newly-christened marketer unfamiliar with sequences. There's even a set of 'cookbooks' that are pre-built templates in case you were like me & didn't know where to start.

Cons

The email builder is a tad clunky. My biggest gripe was when I would create a new link from a template, it would change the color to blue & the font to Arial. Sounds like it's not a big deal, but when you're constantly changing the colors & fonts, it adds to the amount of time you're making an email.

It would be nice to be able to add an HTML element in the WYSIWYG editor, instead of bouncing in/out between that & the HTML editor.

The CRM is nice, but the deals functionality is fairly light. Not the end of the world unless there's a lot of nuance from deal to deal (like in our industry).

Deanna F.
Company size: Self Employed

Very happy with ActiveCampaign!

Reviewed on 26/06/2020

My business is still small but growing and I know that there is a lot more to tap into for what ActiveCampaign can do but I have been very happy with it so far. When I was deciding who to go with, I researched many of the options that were popular and this one just seemed like the best one. Now a couple years later, I'm seeing more and more people praising it and what it can do. That's got me thinking I made the right choice. I mean, I figured at the time that it was the right choice but I'm seeing that validated by other's comments, too.

Pros

I like how powerful this software is and for a great price! When I started with it, I had quite a bit of a learning curve to learn it but had excellent help from support staff. It integrated well with my other online sites. Now I'm all set up and it runs like a charm. I look forward to using more of its capability as my business grows.

Cons

I have found it a little complicated for setting up with new lead magnets but I have attributed that to its ability to do so much so that you have to navigate around to set up what you need. And, I am still learning it. But what's great is that you can duplicate an automation. So once you have created what you want, you don't have to necessarily go back to square one. That I like very much!

Mikael E.
Industry: Sports
Company size: Self Employed

Highly recommended email service provider (and so much more)

Reviewed on 26/06/2020

Outstanding. In addition to how great the software is, the few times I've been in contact with customer support, that experience has also been very, very good. And the pricing is very reasonable for what the product gives you.

Pros

I am only using the Email Service Provider side of the software, not the CRM, so I will comment from the ESP perspective. What I like the most is the unlimited flexibility and features. In the "old days", marketers needed super expensive and complicated software like Infusionsoft to achieve what ActiveCampaign can do, in terms of automation, rules, segmentation and so on.

This unlimited flexibility means you can make your email marketing as simple or as sophisticated as you like, the choice is yours.

Generally speaking, the features of the software are outstanding!

Cons

In some ways the user interface can be a bit clumsy, e.g. when creating an email campaign. It's not bad, but there's room for improvement.