1,185 reviews

ActiveCampaign

Email Marketing, Marketing Automation, CRM/Sales Automation

4.6 /5 (1185 reviews) Write a Review!

1,185 reviews
Leandro N.

• Customer Support Software

A great all in one solution

Reviewed on 14/03/2021

I found Active Campaign to be just as feature rich as Hubspot, at a much better price and with an open user mangament service. It really helped my team to cut down lead follow up with their automation tools. The campaign mail feature is top notch. In all, a great budget minded option that punches above its weight.

Pros

Very good price to quality ratio. Flexible plans. Much simpler price plans in comparison to Hubspot. Great email client. Excellent automation abilities. Robust and hassle free user management. Great form integrations with Wordpress.

Cons

Would love to have a scheduler like Hootsuite. Whatsapp integration would be great. More customization options in the forms would be a great addition.

Sjoukje B.
  • Industry: Online Media

Great automation software

Reviewed on 10/01/2021

I use Active Campaign for all my emails and it has been a total game changer. I have been selling courses for years now using AC and it's the heart of my company.

Pros

I love the automation options of Active Campaign. It saves so much time to let AC do my email marketing. And it's really intuitive, quite easy to learn. I especially like the "jump" functionality, where you can plant a subscriber anywhere in an automation you like.

Cons

Deep data integration is only available in the Plus subscription.

Allen E.

• Customer Support Software

Critical software for small business/startups

Reviewed on 24/12/2020

Pros

The most critical thing a small business has is their customer list. Being able to communicate with your clients in a timely manner, whether it's regarding safety protocols to build confidence or a promotion/offer to increase revenue. An email marketing system that can properly segment your clients and make it through email filters can make the difference between success and failure in a small business. Activecampaign allows solopreneurs and small companies to compete with big companies when it comes to email marketing, lead tracking and relationship management at a very affordable price. Also, their premade 'recioes' (marketing automations) are such a help so you don't start from scratch.

Cons

There is a learning curve an best practices when starting up. Learning how to create a campaign or even the terminology that Activecampaign uses. However, they make it easier with a wealth of articles, how-to's, webinars, and live support (which is crazy good and fast!).

Scott D.
  • Industry: Law Practice

A Powerful, Affordable Package

Reviewed on 13/09/2020

Active Campaign is at the center of my online marketing, and I am very happy with it.

Pros

I came from a different autoresponder which had many, many limitations.

A marketing guy suggested ActiveCampaign, so it was one of many I explored when the limitations of the old autoresponder company foprced me to move.

I am glad I moved, and I am very happy with ActiveCampaign. It allows you to set up marketing funnels, forms, capture lead data, tag your visitors and put them into marketing funnels for follow up.

I do not use all of the features, but. I have been able to build pretty elaborate follow up processes for my marketing sytem using ActiveCampaign.

There are a slew of new competitors which CLAIM to do what ActiveCampaign does for less money, and several services which offer website hosting, autoresponder, everything, for more money. I am glad I am with ActiveCampaign because they are established and their have a mature, stable product.

Not the cheapest, but it has features of more expensive platforms. I'd recommend it.

Cons

As with all autoresponders, the user interface and names and locations for things presents a learning curve. Especially for newer people, they could improve their intro and training videos to be more clear.

Noa M.

• Customer Support Software

ActibeCampaign is a professional game changer!

Reviewed on 15/08/2020

Overall, an excellent experience, that has transformed my organization's digital marketing and engagement.

Pros

I love the flow of the automations and segmentation.
It's opened a whole new world of opportunities for my organisation.

Cons

I'm not sure whether I have yet to find it, but from the exploration that I've done on the mobile app, I couldn't find tracking for automations, nor for forms. That would come in handy.

As for the software in general, it would have been helpful to be able to see an overview of all campaigns and automations in one place, rather than having automations on one tab and campaigns on another.

Also, it would be helpful if I could go into a sent campaign and resend it to myself (not a specific contact), and access the original message and list of people who received the campaign more easily. Currently feels like I need to go through 2-3 steps each time in order to do so.

Candice P.

• Customer Support Software

I recommend it to everyone!

Reviewed on 23/08/2020

Pros

I recommend ActiveCampaign to all of my clients for two specific reasons. Easy of use and features. My clients hire me because they are not tech-savvy but ActiveCampaign gives them the freedom to use a robust email marketing platform with ease after getting over a very short and small learning curve. ActiveCampaign has an AMAZING and thorough online help database as well.

Cons

The only thing that I personally find missing from ActiveCampaign is Dubsado integration (although ActiveCampaign has a TON of integrations options so that might be a fault on Dubsado's end). I also think it would be nice to add landing pages. I host my landing pages on my Showit site but it would be a great option for some of my clients who haven't launched their site yet and want to start building their email list.

Ray F.

Easy to Use, some bugginess

Reviewed on 30/06/2020

Overall, everything is very nice. The pricing is reasonable, and the additional features were unexpected as I was sort of grandfathered in to them.

Pros

This is a very legitimate mailchimp competitor, well-priced. The CRM functionality surprising, and there are really nice web insights (WordPress user here) that I could glean at-a-glance & give to my sales team via their plugin/javascript.

They just recently added conversations (chatbot) automations, which were great to see. The chatbot was slick & never glitched out on me. It's not quite an Intercom replacement, but if you're not familiar with Intercom you'd be over the moon with this.

The email automations are hands-down the best aspect of ActiveCampaign.

The automations & workflows are visual-based & made it incredibly easy & user friendly for a once-newly-christened marketer unfamiliar with sequences. There's even a set of 'cookbooks' that are pre-built templates in case you were like me & didn't know where to start.

Cons

The email builder is a tad clunky. My biggest gripe was when I would create a new link from a template, it would change the color to blue & the font to Arial. Sounds like it's not a big deal, but when you're constantly changing the colors & fonts, it adds to the amount of time you're making an email.

It would be nice to be able to add an HTML element in the WYSIWYG editor, instead of bouncing in/out between that & the HTML editor.

The CRM is nice, but the deals functionality is fairly light. Not the end of the world unless there's a lot of nuance from deal to deal (like in our industry).

Peggy M.
  • Industry: Publishing

Extremely User Friendly and Subscription Comes with Great Support

Reviewed on 20/06/2020

When my big company split up and sold off all of its individual brands, I went from having an email staff to me taking on that responsibility all myself. My staff had been using Hubspot and I did try to learn that platform but it was not intuitive, rather clumsy...and VERY expensive. And since we no longer had the deep corporate pockets we once had, I had to move to something that was lower priced and easy enough for me to be up and running quickly. I investigated about 4 difference platforms and settled on AC and have not been disappointed. I think I made a great choice that a non-tech person like me can use and won't break our small company bank.

Pros

I like the fact that someone like me, who has only ever written campaigns for others to create but now has to do everything myself, can get up to speed pretty quickly and now I feel very comfortable with the platform. Although there are some odd, small nuances in the drag and drop, that functionality is really good and let's me create my campaigns quickly and easily.

Cons

For the most part, this is a great tool, but there are a few things I would like to see addressed. The first one was just addressed recently and you can now "undo." Not having an undo and instead looking at a bunch of dropdown times was not efficient, so kudos to AC for fixing that! I would also like to be able to search my images by keyword...that would save me a ton of time. Also, and this one would really be helpful...I find that creating a suppression file is an awkward process. I would like to be able to choose and list to send to and a list to suppress against that send list. Creating the segment for the suppression is not intuitive and I get confused with that.

Best Marketing Automation platform for small and medium enterprises

Reviewed on 20/01/2020

I have used different marketing automation platforms and ActiveCampaign is now the best one I can recommend for begginers and SME.

Pros

ActiveCampaign has all the features that other "premium" platforms also have, but the price and the fast set up are totally a game changer.
In a few steps you can provision a marketing automation platform with all the capabilities.

Cons

For high database and high sending volumes, maybe it's not the best option. Large campaigns could take time in sending.

• Customer Support Software

A great platform for email automation

Reviewed on 05/10/2020

Overall, I’m an advocate for ActiveCampaign because I’ve had many more positive experiences than negative.

Pros

The software is comparable with other tools which make it nice & more stress-free when integrating.

Cons

The email builder tool (specifically the text block) has some serious problems. Sometimes you can paste something or select text and the entire text is deleted or shown in a different font/size. I’ve used this tool since 2016 and have always had trouble with this. Even when pasting plain text or using their own native personalization fields. A large percentage of the community has mentioned this in Facebook groups and it seems like it’s a low priority considering they continue to release new features in other categories. The basics need some work in my opinion. The campaign analyzing tools could use some major upgrades as well as they seem to also have been neglected.

Monika D.

• Customer Support Software

Blown away by what's possible, the easy of use, and the support

Reviewed on 20/09/2020

I used both Mailchimp and AWeber before but I'm absolutely blown away by the ease of use and the many options that ActiveCampaign provides, making it a complete system.

Pros

I love the combination of email marketing, segmentation, dynamic content, lead scoring and integrated sales process management. It's easy to learn and set up. The induction process and the library are very helpful to get started quickly. ActiveCampaign is for me the tool that goes far beyond email marketing. The support and on-boarding call are amazing.

Cons

There are many options that I'm not using right now, simply because I don't have time to learn more about them at the moment.

Paul P.
  • Industry: Entertainment

• Customer Support Software

I keep recommending AC to everyone but my competitors...

Reviewed on 12/07/2020

Pros

AC was easy to set up and, even better, has retained everything I built it to do. It is sometimes months between times I build new funnels for my email list and it gets easier and easier to do each time - I don't have to re-learn the system and it's intuitive enough I don't forget enough to make it hard for myself.
There are plenty of great YouTube videos from other users on successful funnels to build so there is a strong community to lean on for ideas and assistance, but AC's customer service has always been very responsive and helpful as well.
AC has become the engine of my side-hustle. For my tech stack, some pieces are optional. AC is most definitely not.

Cons

Reports are AC's weakest link. I am a data nerd, so I would love to see much more perspectives on my users' activity so I can better target and segment some users over others. I want to see my open rate over time, not just from one email campaign to the next. And I want to be able to easily drill down in to what inspires opens over others (subject line analysis!).
Alas, this is the area AC falls down. But again, as long as the functionality is great (which it is) I'll cope on the reporting until it improves.

Sarah A.

Exceptional for email marketing

Reviewed on 30/05/2020

I love Active Campaign, and I highly recommend them if you wish to have a great email marketing aspect of your business.

Pros

Firstly, the automations for this software are incredible. They are intuitive and can create a customer journey that is dynamic and a positive experience at the same time. Active Campaign integrates with all the tools that I use for marketing from Facebook Ads to my data capture forms and of course my website. The event tracking and dynamic (conditional) content is superb. I've never experienced anything as good from another company.

Cons

I don't like the forms, they're ugly. I'm sure I could make them better but life's too short and they work well for other people.

Margaret R.
  • Industry: Public Relations & Communications

• Customer Support Software

Daily check on my pipeline

Reviewed on 15/03/2021

Pros

Fantastic customer onboarding and support! Active Campaign was easy to jump into early in my business, and as my business has grown, there are more and more features I can take advantage of. A flexible tool for all my pipeline needs!

Cons

Editing an automated email series was puzzling.

Cristina I.
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

• Customer Support Software

Great software at low price key for every business

Reviewed on 03/03/2021

Overall, my experience working with AC over the last 7 months is very good although I have to keep learning a lot to cover everything is possible and advisable to do.

Pros

I like all the AC functionalities and options for segmentation, automation, tracking, etc. They are endless and there is nothing we need to do with our leads, customers or prospects that is not possible with AC. Also the online help is really good and comprehensive.

Cons

The e-mail editor and the fact there is no one single point you can use to edit all of the e-mails being used regardless if it is in campaigns, automations, etc. I would rather prefer to have all of the e-mails we use in one single access point to be able to make changes in a more efficient way instead of having to go to each specific campaign or automation.
I also miss a functionality to manage labels in a better way, because they can go easily out of control.
About Customer Support, I needed something very specific about the way they invoice de annual product and they were not very keen to help.

Austin S.

The Best Kept Secret in Marketing Automation

Reviewed on 06/06/2017

Pros

ActiveCampaign is one of the best kept secrets in the marketing world. The automation builder is both easy-to-use AND powerful. You can trigger actions and segment by almost any criteria you can imagine. In a lot of ways, the automation builder rivals the (what I consider) best-in-class solutions such as Marketo. The email builder is intuitive and the template library comes with a lot of good looking emails to start from. Zero HTML/CSS needed. The built-in SMS messaging is really cool and somewhat unique in the industry. Building an automation consisting of emails and SMS messages is drag and drop, with no integrations needed. While it's limited (as of today) the CRM is really intuitive and clean. If they continue to add functionality in this area they may have something incredible in a couple years. Importing contacts is simple and goes far beyond the typical CSV file. Google contacts, Google Sheets, other email providers. no problem. Possibly the best import tools I've seen in this industry.

Cons

The most obvious one is the lack of a landing page builder. Having landing pages in the tool would be ideal, but solutions such as LeadPages can be easily integrated. Having to pay for email compatibility testing (for different devices) is a bit annoying, feels like you're being "nickel and dimed." The reporting leaves a lot to be desired. I'm really hoping they invest in this area (much more important than having built-in landing pages in my view), as it would really elevate the solution and make it an easy choice vs the Infusionsofts of the world.

Val S.
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

• Customer Support Software

Super affordable for all the features it has

Reviewed on 28/02/2021

Pros

I love being able to integrate all the automations so I know my new leads are getting exactly the information they need to build trust with them.

Cons

There are a lot of features and it was a beast for me to learn how to use it at first.

Matthew B.
  • Industry: Events Services

• Customer Support Software

Active Campaign is a great marketing, pipeline, and CRM tool in one. Definitely better than...

Reviewed on 17/03/2021

Pros

Active campaign helped us scale our business effectively through the use of their CRM, pipeline management, website integration, and marketing tools. The biggest benefit we saw was the use of attribution marketing to tie Google ads campaigns to our inbound lead deals, in order to get more data that would help us with future bookings. Also the automations were a huge win, and allowed us to do less work, and manage our pipeline better.

Cons

The reporting all seems valuable, however it's pretty slow and somewhat difficult to set up. Aside from that, I wish there were more attribution related to organic searches and non-paid advertising.

Tea M.

• Customer Support Software

The best tool for email marketing, segmentation and contact management

Reviewed on 19/06/2020

The best on the market, as it has advanced marketing, segmentation and targeting options and it's easy for clients (not tech savvy) to use.

Pros

Easy to use, the best value for money. Advanced features that most softwares don't offer unless you pay $$$$

Cons

Email designer is sometimes clunky. There should be an 'undo'/redo' option when designing. More fonts.

Stephanie L.
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

• Customer Support Software

I always recommend Active Campaign to everyone cause I like it so much!!!

Reviewed on 26/05/2020

Active Campaign allows me to better know my audience, their needs and push them to directly interact with my emails. It pushed me to reorganise my contact menu and homepage,segmenting between tourism companies and travellers + according to the type of service (guiding/consulting) or place (Basque Country/Asia). The guides and blog articles gave me a lot of new ideas. It also seems my subscribers buy more from my affiliate links.

Pros

I shifted from MailChimp to Active Campaign mainly because I wanted to to segment my audience. It is awesome to be able to send customised content and my audience engagement is awesome, just as the number of new subscribers. It provides me more than expected as it also forced me to make my offer clearer and my marketing better

Cons

It's necessary to take time to understand how the tool works. But it worths it and normal as it's a very powerful tool so the process can be complex. I think adding someone in the middle of an existing automation could be done easier. Adding a if condition takes too much time. I'd like to be able to click on an email and just add the person.

Hector S.

Excellent tool

Reviewed on 26/01/2021

Its really necessary if you want to have success with your email marketing campaign

Pros

It’s very easy to configure it and also to integrate with other platforms

Cons

It’s very expensive tool comparing with other similar features in the market
Your mails always are sent into the promotion

Vanessa alejandra R.

• Customer Support Software

Easy way to manage your leads

Reviewed on 12/10/2020

I'm very happy for this software, because is very complete. Also I think we could use more of his potential.

Pros

What I like about Active Campaing is the easy way to manage your leads and how you can keep your channles integrate. For example, we use Instapage to manage our landing pages, and the integration between Instapage and Active Campaing is pretty simple. This allow us to track and tag every contact that leaves info in the form. Also you can have a historic of each contact, and see what is the status in the automation. You can do a lot of funtions in the automations, to deliver personalized content to the leads.

Cons

Part of my job is to create content relevant for the campaings and e-mails that we send to our contacts in each stage of the funnel. The thing I like least about Active Campaign is the widget to design of the templates. I created our own template and I have so much problems with logos and adpating them in to the template. Also, for a responsive view (mobile) is the same, the logos are not in the right size or location. I think is not intuituive and easy for those who arent designers.

Sam M.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Great software

Reviewed on 23/12/2020

Brilliant! Great product, great team, get it as you won’t regret it!

Pros

This software has helped us grow our email marketing revenue by over 260%. It’s simple to use and the support (webinars) that are provided for FREE are brilliant. Have recommended this to multiple friends and clients I have.

Cons

Not really, I probably don’t know what I don’t know though!

Nick P.

• Customer Support Software

Good Experience so far...

Reviewed on 13/07/2020

Overall, I've had a good experience with ActiveCampaign. The support hit and miss in terms of their availability and expertise, even for some of the simpler questions I've had. And no phone support unless you have the highest "Enterprise" tier.

Pros

Overall, Active Campaign is probably the best going at the moment especially for email automation. There are good features and the interface is generally pretty straightforward.

Cons

I feel that Active Campaign feels too expensive for what it offers compared to others out there, and the price jump to the next tier is toooooooo much. So, my position is that the value is not enough to justify the next tier price jump for the features that are being offered.

For example, the price doubles if you have twice the contacts from 500 - 1000. So, the assumption is that you must have twice the value in your contacts to justify the higher tier pricing. We all know this is not always true, especially if you have a simple lead magnet opt-in for example. In the Plus plan, the first tier up from light, you'll spend $2,400 per year for 10,000 contacts without having all of the features unlocked.

If you want all of the features unlocked, you'll need to spend $4,800 for the same amount of contacts. 🤯 Doesn't seem like a good, and the incentives are not that enticing for the average marketer with a small business. There are features that are in there that most probably won't use, but will have to pay for in order to be allowed more contacts in your lists.

Also, the app can get laggy and slow, especially when editing automations. I wish it had a quicker response time when you submit changes.

Catherine D.
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Trouble-shooting

Reviewed on 19/12/2020

My overall experience was extremely positive. I struggled with a feature, and contacted Customer Service. Within minutes, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] had created a video to explain step-by-step how to fix the error and sent it to me. It took me another two minutes to implement the correction and finalize the project. Superb customer service.

Pros

The ActiveCampaign software is intuitive and its design features are excellent. It took me about half an hour to feel that I was well-versed in most of the functions.

Cons

I struggled a bit to get the email function working for my monthly company newsletter but that was mostly because I'd made an error with the segment feature.