Jany C.
  • Industry: Accounting Software

I love Expensify!

Reviewed on 16/05/2018

Save tons of time for reviewing, approving and reimbursing to employees.

Pros

It saves employees a lot of time and hassle on doing the paper work including keeping the receipts. Employees only need to take a picture of the receipt and submit with their phone. It is easy and timely. If expenses are not submitted immediately, at least the scanned receipts are kept in Expensify for employees to submit anytime later. With the feature of the scanned receipts, no more keeping the stack of paper receipts!

Cons

Syncing Expensify with accounting software (Xero) in order to get a complete and updated customer list is not 100% there yet. A lot of times, we couldn't submit an expense marking billable because the customer is not available in the drop down window in Expensify. This requires accountants like us to do extra work in accounting software (Xero) to fix the entry.

Stefanos S.

Reliable and rewarding!

Reviewed on 11/10/2017

- Expense tidying up
- Categorize according to projects, events etc.
- Everything centralized
- Ability to handle expenses with other team members

Pros

We have been using Expensify for over a year now and I can say that it we have been pleased more or less. I really like the fact that you are given the ability to manage your expense and categorize according to how detailed you really need it.

In addition, the joint report of all expenses is neat and easy to manipulate. I would say that it is quite user friendly once you get familiar with it (you do need a few times to use it in order to get a full handle on it). The app is a strong point as well.

Cons

Nothing too bad about it. Sometimes it cannot process as quickly as I desire especially when uploading pdf files. Subsequently I have had to log out and log in again to reset it in a sense.

Other than that I would say it is a rather solid service.

Expensify Honest Review

Reviewed on 24/05/2019

Overall experience has been great. I love from a user experience how easy it can be to submit expenses and receive a reimbursement. From an administrators perspective it can be a real pain going through everyone's expenses and sometimes correcting them yourself.

Pros

I have a love hate relationship with Expensify. First with the positive, I love how I am able to expense items through the company and receive a refund in a relatively short amount of time. I love how you're easily able to take pictures of receipts and collect new expenses. Overall, a straightforward easy to use application.

Cons

Being on the administrator side as well the categories are an incredible pain. For the most part it is straight forward but from experience I've had so many instances where I reject expenses from the team because they are not categorized correctly. This take up so much of my bandwidth during my day when it really shouldn't be. I wish there was a simpler way to automate categories but as of right now it has been reeducating the team on which expenses so into which category.

Andrew P.

• Customer Support Software

Ideal for a small business

Reviewed on 26/06/2018

Pros

Being a small business without a full time bookkeeper, we use Expensify to keep all the many expenditures and accounts organized between sessions with our accountant. Expensify's integration with Quickbooks Online is very helpful as well.

Cons

We would benefit from a more detailed mobile interface, having the ability to create subcategories of expenses. Although a lot of this can be updated though once the Expensify transactions are synced with QuickBooks. All in all, this is a very helpful app for our small business.

Joshua J.

A well rounded and easy to use accounting software

Reviewed on 24/10/2019

I really enjoy expensify and everything it encapsulates. It's easy, and quite frankly, effective and I recommend to everyone.

Pros

Quite frankly, Expensify is literally the easiest and most effect of the Expense software on the market. It's easy to use, it's thorough and it's easy to download/understand reporting features.

Cons

I've been using Expensify for nearly 3 years, I personally do not have any qualms with Expensify. Internet speed can affect issues, if you are updating a bunch of receipts.

• Industry: Design

Fantastic Tool

Reviewed on 06/03/2019

Overall, we really like Expensify and the pricing structure works so well for us given our infrequent use. There are many features and functions that we don't need as a company, but considering the features that we do use are so easy, I would guess the rest of the product is just as great!

Pros

We mainly use Expensify for reimbursement reports and to track credit card receipts. We don't even use it to its fullest function and still highly recommend it. Especially now that the pricing is based on usage, it's a no brainer! You only pay for it when you use it and based on how much you use it, which means there's really no risk in purchasing a subscription! It also makes reviewing and reimbursing reports easy and the historical reporting is very handy if a question arises after the fact.

Cons

The only thing that can be confusing is that you have to add an expense and then start a report and link the expense to the report. Every employee I've ever worked with has gotten tripped up with this step, because instinctually, everyone assumes you can start a new report first and then add an expense to the report. In general, this is a small complaint, but it would be more intuitive if the first step was creating a report.

• Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

The clear leader in expense reporting

Reviewed on 29/01/2020

A few months ago, I liked Expensify, but probably wouldn't have rated it quite as highly. Recently, however, I've been required to use Certify for expense reports. WOW, Expensify blows it out of the water in every regard. More mobile friendly, easier to use regardless of device, and much less of a learning curve.

Pros

While it's easy to use Expensify on your desktop and drag and drop e-receipts into it, it's also very mobile-friendly. For paper receipts, I always use the app to photograph my receipt. The process is pretty intuitive and easy to learn.

Cons

Expensify allows users to create "rules" that prefill some expense details based on conditions you set. This could be built out a little more. For instance, why do I need to select what card was used for a purchase if the expense automatically ported in from my credit card activity?

Steve C.

• Customer Support Software

Expensify has helped us manage our expenses and brought our whole team to the next level!

Reviewed on 12/06/2018

Helped our whole team better manage our expenses and finances. And helped our small nonprofit stay on top of our finances and stay compliant.

Pros

Extremely simple and intuitive. Snap a picture of a receipt and let the software do the rest. It's like having your own personal finance assistant. I love it!

Cons

I've had a few issues here and there with the credit card import sync, importing expenses properly from bank account. I've also had a few sync issues with quickbooks category sync.

Nivin J.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

• Customer Support Software

Simplify the process of managing your receipt and expenses using this cloud-based application.

Reviewed on 05/08/2018

Pros

The mobile and website interface is very user-friendly and easy to set up and implement. It provides a lot of integrations with other accounting tools like QuickBooks and NetSuite that helps in facilitating direct reimbursements. From the time you get your receipts, it automates the expense reporting process. Manual entry is eliminated, reducing majority of errors by employment of OCR technology. They provide attractive and affordable monthly plans. While you sync your corporate card, all your transactions get synced automatically. You don’t have to wait till you reach your office to scan your receipts, you can just take a photo of the receipt and upload it. You can categorize and put filters to your expenses. It eliminates paper receipts by using these scanned receipts. Reduction in the time consumed for reviewal, approval and reimbursement process.

Cons

Few configuration settings only available for admins. The customer service takes a lot of time to respond. Provides limited reporting capabilities. The absence of a reminder feature.

Hanna R.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Submit reports easily with Expensify

Reviewed on 26/04/2019

Pros

Great tool for submitting expenses. Pretty easy and intuitive to use, the interface is built the way and it gives hints and tips where/what to fill.
I also love the view when you can see all submitted resorts and their status, moreover, email notifications make it easy to always stay up-to-day about any changes made to your report.
Another great thing is that you can use it on desktop as well as on your mobile phone, make document photos/scans in a ​couple of seconds and attach them to the report.

Cons

It would be better if "Generate PDF" and "Add documents" would have the icons that clearly show​ the functions, faced a couple of times with the issue when I need to attach the file, but clicked "Generate PDF" button instead

• Industry: Sports

A MUST for mobile record keeping!

Reviewed on 15/10/2018

fantastic, time saver, syncs with our existing financial management tools very easily.

Pros

Easy to keep track of expenses while on the go, mileage, receipts. Integrates with accounts in a couple of clicks. Very simple, user friendly!

Cons

There's not a button that reaches out to grab our employees to make them actually DO these simple steps to keep perfect records while on the move.

• Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Keep your expenses in check with Expensify

Reviewed on 03/12/2019

I recently have tried to simplify my life by not having a traditional wallet and just using a phone case to store my essential cards and some cash. I used to have many receipts in my wallet and now I didn't have anyway to store them until I reconciled my accounts. Expensify helps me capture screen shots of my receipts, enter in the info from the receipts and then create reports of my expenses. It's a great way to keep your finances in check.

Pros

I like the fact that there is an app as well as an online website so I can track my expenses on the go or in the office. Online storage of receipts is nice too.

Cons

Marking the receipts as closed is kind of difficult unless they are added to a report. It could be a user error on my part.

Rahul V.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Ok for personal expenses

Reviewed on 21/08/2018

Pros

The app helps track expenses on a daily basis. It also helps make claims on a corporate level. The app is user friendly and light weight

Cons

The app need integration with many corporate systems so that it's easier for reimbursement. Personal expenses can be tracked but they obviously do not get reimbursed

Simple Reimbursements

Reviewed on 06/04/2021

Overall, expensify has been a successful tool for our company to use for employee reimbursements. The customer support chat experience is adequate. They are able to integrate with HRIS systems for employee creation and reimbursement if desired. Overall it has done the necessary job.

Pros

I like that we can set up permissions so managers can review expenses but the finance team can do a final review prior to reimbursement.

Cons

The admin experience is not the best. I wish they would populate expense reports that have action needed in the home page for administrators who need to reimburse the expenses. Expenses can sometimes get 'lost' in the system without administrators realizing.

Moira B.
  • Industry: Accounting Software
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Expensify tracks your expenses flawlessly!

Reviewed on 15/04/2019

Pros

The thing I like the most about expensify is that it is super easy to use and isn't a hassle to integrate into the natural workflow like other softwares. All you need to do is just take a quick photo and its already on the software. Controlling your expenses in an easy to digest and manage application makes it less stressful and exhausting to make sure everything is in check. I didn't even know I wanted expensify until I used it.

Cons

There are some minor features that I would like to see added in the future, but as of now it is still a great product to use.

Ellen J.

Mixed bag of tricks

Reviewed on 05/12/2018

Pros

Good for keeping track of and reporting basic expenses incurred for your business. If you need it to do anything extra, not so great. Bells and whistles break frequently and at the worst times.

Cons

If you need customer service, start by asking someone else. If you submit a ticket or an email for an issue you may be having, they will respond (never sooner than 12-24 hours) with a copy of that topic's Help manual. In other words, their customer service gives new meaning to terrible. If you try responding to that copy/paste answer, they will copy/paste from another part of their Help manual. It's truly frustrating and you have to get stinking mad before an actual person replies to your issue, usually with a sorry for your troubles reply. I've given up asking them for help. Oh, and if you have a broken bank connection, they love to blame it on your bank instead of actually looking to see if it can be fixed on their end. And no, this is not the free version.

Vince B.

• Customer Support Software

Never keep a receipt again. This is a great tool for logging expenses.

Reviewed on 17/11/2017

Pros

Never keep a receipt again. This is a great tool for logging expenses for the entire staff. The photo option for receipts is a time saver.

Cons

There are times when the receipt image does not match the expense that is listed. I'm not sure of any work around.

• Customer Support Software

Expensify saves time and hassle!

Reviewed on 06/11/2017

It saves me a lot of time and hassle. I am much more organised when travelling and more confident that I am submitting all of my expenses and not losing money!

Pros

Using Expensify has helped me keep on top of my travel expenses by scanning the receipt on the go. I no longer have a huge build up of receipts in my wallet or spend half a day filling in expense reports. It's quick and easy to upload an expense and create reports. I like that I get notified when my expenses are approved.

Cons

It can be a bit slow sometimes to scan and read the receipts, especially if they are in other languages. Sometimes it is easier to cancel the scanning and enter the details manually. Occasionally reports are submitted automatically without me doing so which is a little bit annoying

Eric J.

• Customer Support Software

A quick way to take care of expenses

Reviewed on 09/02/2015

My company recently switched to Expensify from another expense management application, and it has been fantastic, specifically for one reason, I now spend less than half as much time doing expenses!

Expenses always have always been the bane of my professional existence, I travel every week for work, and generate a lot of receipts. I would spend a minimum of one hour every week associating receipts with expenses, filling out multiple items per transaction, and trying to read faded receipts. The use of Expensify has substantially reduced the amount of time I now spend doing expenses. This is specifically do to the Smart Scan feature of Expensify, allowing me to take a photograph of a receipt and by the time I get home all the relevant information from that receipt (date, vendor, and dollar amount) has been important into Expensify, meaning all I need to do is enter in the purpose and I'm all set. Additionally Expensify auto generates receipts for expenses under $75 when synchronized with my credit card. This means I don't have to keep receipts for the majority of my expenses, a novel concept compared my previous life of walking around with a wallet filled with no less than 20 receipts at any given time.

I would definitely recommend this to any fellow business professional who has suffered through expense reports in the past like I have.

• Industry: Food & Beverages

Great Program

Reviewed on 06/09/2018

Pros

Ease of use and better standardization of reports. Easier for users and admins.

Cons

Cost. Would love to see a lower overall cost, but that's us being greedy.

Scott G.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

• Customer Support Software

Expense reports have never been easier

Reviewed on 13/12/2016

I used Expensify at a previous job as our sole means of tracking and submitting expenses. Three jobs and three different expense reports solutions later, I still seriously, SERIOUSLY miss the ease of use of Expensify. The mobile app allows you to instantly scan, process and upload your receipts to the application which then automatically matches everything up to your monthly corporate card statement line items. It could not be easier. I'm back to taking photos of receipts and figuring everything out by hand in Excel spreadsheets and I could cry. GIVE ME BACK MY EXPENSIFY!!!

Pros

Mobile app which allows you to scan receipts at time of, well, receipt - and then pretty much forget about them. Automatic import of monthly credit card statements and match up with scanned receipts. Submitting expense reports is super easy too.

Cons

The fact that my current company is not using it. =)

Response from Expensify

Thanks for the awesome review, Scott! If you ever want to show your finance department just how truly awesome we are, shoot us an email at [email protected] and we'll set you up with a demo :)

Have a great week!

We stopped using Expensify after 5 years of being customers

Reviewed on 31/12/2020

We've used their service for 4 years and they kept increasing their fees and finally they locked us in an annual agreement and changed their procing model again. They customer support don't answer any questions, they keep sending links to their documentation and support forms instead of answering questions.

Pros

Their software has a lot of features but nothing that the other player in the market don't have. their customer services is horrible

Cons

Their are far better alternatives in the market with better value, honestly stay away from them. we've worked with them for a long time and they changed from a startup to a big company with horrible customer service and focus on getting more money from their clients.

Mike W.

Expensify Simplifies Expense Reimbursements

Reviewed on 05/09/2019

We are saving time on expenses and we are able to spend more time serving customers. it makes perfect sense!

Pros

I love that Expensify enables the picture taking to create the expense and interpret what that picture says. That is software saving me time versus having to manually enter things like many expense reimbursement apps.

Cons

I believe you should be able to edit expenses even if it is not on a report. Editing should be available no matter what the context.

• Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Awesome Expense Report Managing Tool

Reviewed on 14/03/2018

Pros

Very easy to use. I travel internationally for work and often have expenses in foreign currencies, Expensify does a great job with exchange rates/conversions. I use Lyft business for transportation and I can easily import receipts into the app. The mobile app is great for uploading receipts. I also expense distance (miles) and Expensify makes that very simple. My expense reports are reviewed and approved quickly thanks to this tool, I love getting email notifications that let me know if my report was approved or not and if my money is on its way. It's very easy to tie in your bank account and get direct deposit for your reimbursements.

Cons

I have had issues with the mobile app being slow, sometimes I have a hard time editing the name on reports. Small buggy things but nothing too bad.

Jackson H.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Expensify - A great and easy way to track

Reviewed on 24/05/2019

Pros

The simplicity that Expensify brings is more than any other software out there. Hands down the best to use and the most simple solution to solving a headache of keeping track of expenses and receipts etc.

Cons

It would be nice to be able to learn more about Expensify before having to sign up on the website and give all of your information to them beforehand.