Task Management, Time Tracking, and Accounting for SMBs

4.7 /5 (403 reviews) Write a Review!

Ilan G.

• Customer Support Software

Software that surves me as a freelance individual for years.

Reviewed on 20/06/2020

I use Paymo since it's the first version. Back those days I used the Paymo Plus desktop app, recording absolutely everything I do on my computer. By the end of the day, I reorganized everything. It helped me to find "holes" in my schedule, where I spent too much time on social networks and the internet.
Today I plan my week, I collect data about my tasks, searching where can I improve myself. I see how many clients do I have since I started freelancing. All of them there! I manage who is an important client, which one is the most paying one.
I often use Timesheets set to a weekly view, so I can see how much I busy this week.
A homepage quickly shows all my tasks and a dashboard helps me to see my progress.

Pros

Paymo can serve big companies with a large number of users and departments. For me as an individual, Paymo is one place for managing my clients, projects, task, and time.
One of the first and absolutely necessary things for me as a freelancer is good, simple to use time management tool. Paymo has an implemented live timer that is connected to all my tasks and projects of a specific client.
Not less important is the ability to produce smart time reports I send to my clients and get paid by. Half of my tasks are in Hebrew, and Paymo works just great with RTL languages. This is crucial for my time of business. The report could be set by tasks, days, or other specific categories.
The timer exists in the browsers when using the softer, but it also has a completely synchronized desktop app which I use for the most, and mobile app, which I use when I work outside my office.

Cons

Actually, Paymo has more features I'm sure I would use, like Gantt Chart, or Invoices, though this feature costs extra $19.95 per month and I prefer not to pay for it since it's not so necessary for my business.

Response from Paymo

Hi Ilan,

Appreciate the kind words :) You must be on an old plan, as Invoices are now available under the Small Office plan ($11.95/user/mo) and Gantt Charts under the Business one ($18.95/user/mo).

Kassidy B.

Small business-friendly software!

Reviewed on 05/05/2020

The ability to automate the majority of our processes, and keep our project management happening in one place, has been very relieving and has boosted our efficiency. Before using Paymo we had separate processes and locations for our project management, invoice creation, estimate creation, etc. and the majority of these were done manually. Paymo is cutting down on time taken up by those manual processes, and we have been able to streamline our project management in a way that is more clear to us and our clients. We are gradually populating the Projects and Clients pages with anything we've done up to this point -- it's a lot of work but it's worth it to us now that we know Paymo is such a great software that has benefitted us as we are moving into our second year as a small business.

Pros

Paymo helped our small business organize projects and boosted automation functions of our working process really well. We were already used to tracking time under project tasks before trying Paymo, but we were looking for a software that could streamline the full process from the start of a project to the end, while covering the financial aspects as well. The best thing about Paymo is the ability to automate the working process through templates, and to be able to customize at every level. We also really appreciate the Help Center (the attention to detail and clear explanations have been very useful) and customer support.

Cons

It was pretty time consuming at first to get set up on Paymo and learn how to make it work for us, but this can be true for any new software. A more thorough tutorial or very obvious recommendations to use the Help Center would have helped us at the beginning -- it took a bit of time for me to discover all of the great pages on the Help Center.

There are some very specific features that would be useful to us that are not currently options:

1. An option to round-down instead of round-up in increments of time for time reports.
2. More user-friendly and intuitive customizing options for the templates, instead of relying on custom code to really change the appearance.
3. A pay roll feature to track pay days/periods and previous pay for employees, as an extension of time reports or time sheets.
4. The ability to manually edit the "Cost" sections on templates, after they have been automatically filled while adding from a project's tasks or time sheets.
5. Something to consider in the future is adding an entire new feature focused on the financial statements side of accounting. This would be very attractive since it would mean having nearly all of our business management happening in the same place.

We are still getting used to Paymo and all of its functions, so may have more feedback in the future!

Response from Paymo

Appreciate your thoughts, Kassidy!

Sorry to hear about the onboarding process, we do offer free sessions on-demand, so please write me at [email protected] to schedule one :)

Here's also a quick video tutorial about the new interface: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAwY7m3I_kw

As for the feature requests, it's best to post/uvpote them on our community forum so they get more visibility: https://community.paymoapp.com/

Keep in touch,

Holly M.

• Customer Support Software

Paymo allows us to communicate and share client information with ease

Reviewed on 18/06/2020

Our business has grown since we started using Paymo, and it's great that we can grow with Paymo. We keep improving how we work and interact with Paymo and it is an integral part of the day-to-day of our business.

Pros

The scheduling tool has been a lifesaver. We have been using Paymo for year to manage our projects. All communication is via Paymo, to ensure there is one place where all updates are available to all staff.
We recently started using scheduling

Cons

We feel like the app could do with some work but the desktop version is great!

Response from Paymo

Kudos, Holly!

Not sure if you reffered to the mobile app. If yes, then I'm glad to tell you it's going to include task assignment, rich task details, and comments in the next update that we're currently working on.

Stay tuned!

Olga R.
  • Industry: Public Relations & Communications

• Customer Support Software

Great app for small business

Reviewed on 16/06/2020

We have been using Paymo for two years and it has become an essential tool for our business: we control our database of clients, projects, budgets, times and offer a professional image with the invoicing. Also, we use it as basic CRM. We are happy with the customer service and with the best and updates that are added to the app.

Pros

Paymo is very useful for budget and billing control, time tracking and customer and project management.

Cons

I would like it to have more advanced functionalities like CRM

Response from Paymo

Appreciate the feedback, Olga!

Indeed, we have no CRM function per se. What we have instead is a light client databse in the form of the Client module.

You can then filter after them in the Clients Table View: https://help.paymoapp.com/en/articles/3064844-clients-table-view

Would this help?

Carlin R.

Great user experience

Reviewed on 16/06/2020

Great, it was easy to get up and running

Pros

Their support is top-notch and gives genuine replies. Not some generic FAQ bs

Cons

Could be quicker to organise tasks and colour code project in the menus

Response from Paymo

Thank you for taking your time, Carlin!

Can you write us at [email protected] to give us more details about how could tasks be organized better?

Leonardo B.
  • Industry: Graphic Design Software

• Customer Support Software

A reliable way to track your time and obligations

Reviewed on 16/06/2020

Nowadays I use it as the primary way of knowing where we stand in terms of workload and obligations. I can easily know what the team hast to do, and what are the tasks' statuses, and whether they are under budget.

Pros

What I like the most is how it helped me have a grasp of the worked time, which in turn helped me structure prices and give estimates and deadlines.

Cons

I use the team scheduling a lot, but I still miss the ability to navigate directly from a task to its booking.

Response from Paymo

A pleasure as always, Leonardo!

You will soon be able to schedule bookings directly from the full task details, have sent you a screenshot already ;)

Karen D.

Excellent Time Tracking and Team Scheduling Application

Reviewed on 18/09/2017

Pros

easy to use, reliable, accurate time tracking. Robust features. Unlimited clients and projects. Each project will have a dashboard showing total hours worked and how many tasks out of total have been completed. Projects can be tracked by custom categories, like bid, active, on hold, lost/won, archived. Task view can be switched between list, table, and kanban; users can collaborate by commenting on tasks, attaching files, assigning the task, and setting due dates. Team Scheduling allows you to see who is busy (or overwhelmed) and who is free to work on more tasks. Accounting features: Invoicing, Estimates, Expenses. The built-in timer makes tracking time spent working on tasks quick and easy.

Cons

Paymo is constantly improving this software and adding great, new features. One that would be helpful is the ability for each user to have a view showing all the tasks assigned to them, sorted by due date. Currently there is a My Tasks section, but it only sorts by Project Name.

Response from Paymo

Hi Karen,

With adding the Home area we also improved the My tasks area and added more filters and different views.

Colin H.

• Customer Support Software

Deceptively well-designed app/software. Excellent value and clever too.

Reviewed on 04/05/2016

Do the free trial to see why. You'll get an initial impression that compared to the feature rich apps of Wrike, Asana, Basecamp, Teamwork and many others that Paymo is fairly simple. It is but it has some very-well considered functionality around user permissions, pricing and invoice/report generation. The user interface again looks simple but works great.
For us, what's great about Paymo is:
1. Pricing. Great at $4.95 per user. That's a real per user price. 1 user = $4.95 per month.
2. Additional users (we use many collaborators) can then be switched on/off as required.
3. Good user permissions (switch on/off admin, tasks, projects, invoices, estimates, expenses)
4. The general focus on user performance metrics/utilization (with a good dashboard + individual user metrics by hour, month, project and billed/unbilled time.
5. Fantastic, customisable client reporting and wrap-up invoicing with unlimited free client access to these features*.
*The invoice module ($9.95/month per account - which is great way to charge for this) monitors unbilled time with a one-click invoice generation button. That's a great feature whether you use Paymo to send (and receive payments) or not.
In similar fashion, the client report generation tool is cleverly set-up so you can group time/costs by client, user, projects, task lists, tasks, time, day or billed status as well as include the original budgets by project or tasks. For us that's a massive time-saver and a feature-set that not available or so quick and easy to manage on any other PM system we've tried.
The con's on the present feature list (hence why I've only rated Paymo 4 stars overall):
1. There's no easy to see/use UI control over project/task timescales.
2. Equally, no-billable tasks/reminders don't sit as well in the system.
3. Updates aren't realtime, another great Wrike feature.
4. There's no client/guest access to the project details (which I would have thought Paymo could add easily, by making making the default user status 'view only'.
5. Generally speaking Paymo isn't a slick or richly featured as other leading-class PMs.
However, as of May 4th 2016 there's a promise on Paymo's pricing page that Gantt charts, task scheduling and progress tracking is 'coming soon'. Would be great to know roughly what that means Paymo but those three features even if relatively simple but robust (in Paymo's style) would considerably round-off and build-out the Paymo App experience.

Jovana V.

Pay-me-More with Paymo

Reviewed on 13/08/2020

Though I still use other apps to track status of my projects, Paymo is irreplaceable for invoicing and time-tracking -- and most importantly these two functions are tied, so you are constantly reminded that time is ticking. It's simple and neat, and it takes little time to get familiar with the basics.

Pros

My two favorite features are invoicing and timer. Invoicing is neat, the design is simple and clean and your clients will like it. As for timer, it's dominating your screen, so it saves me from distractions of all kinds. Overall, what I like the best about this software is the blend of simplicity and feature-rich functionality.

Cons

Perhaps, the pricing can be more sensitive to freelancers, or adding a layer with less feature but more affordable. But nothing else, really.

Response from Paymo

"Pay-me-More" is actually close to "get paid more", where the acronym comes from - thank you Jovana :)

Just to be sure, if you're an NGO, you can benefit from a 50% discount. Just write us at [email protected] and send us a proof of your NGO status.

Other than this, be sure to check our other time tracking tools as well: https://www.paymoapp.com/time-tracking/

Ben O.

Simple but great

Reviewed on 05/09/2019

I use Paymo to organise my time and projects across three businesses. I've used various task managers and high-end project management software in the past, but Paymo hits a real sweet spot for me.

Pros

It's a really simple interface, but still has enough features to make it usable. I evaluated around ten other project management tools before selecting Paymo. Tech support is friendly and responsive.

Cons

I'm not sure if this is just a limitation of the browser, but I find the interface a little slow at times. It doesn't really slow me down significantly, just used to using lots of keyboard shortcuts. More standard spreadsheet-style table entry would be good. But honestly, it's great.

Response from Paymo

Hi Ben,

You're not wrong, the app might experience low speed sometimes (it's a combination of several factors), but we're aware of this and already take active steps in this direction.

As for the spreadsheet-style input, you can go for the Task's Table View to add task details in-line, as well as the add bulk option for time tracking.

Hope this helps!

Vy T.

Paymo Review

Reviewed on 16/03/2020

Very positive and efficient. Would definitely recommend to others in the industry.

Pros

Very User friendly and efficient in terms of hour and task breakdowns.

Cons

Too many categories. Sometimes I get lost when trying to input my time.

Response from Paymo

Hi Vy,

Thank you for giving us a review! Not sure what you mean with "too many categories" - can you be more specific?

If you're referring to modules, then here's a video on how to enable only those that you want to use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAwY7m3I_kw

Kimberly K.
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Reviewed on 16/03/2020

Its pretty nice to project manage once you get the hang of it. I dont have administrator access but it is just what I need to do my job.

Pros

I really enjoy the way you can see how much time is allocated to a task. And how easy it is to pull a report for a project.

Cons

The filters can get confusing, sometimes its to many filters or not enough..

Response from Paymo

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, Kimberly :)

Can you write us at [email protected] about the filter issue? We're more than glad to look into it.

Cheers,

Joanna L.

Great for Monitoring Productivity

Reviewed on 18/06/2020

Paymo is great for tracking our team's productivity and making sure that we keep on track with numerous projects.

Pros

Paymo is a great tool for keeping track of project work and team efficiency.

Cons

Switching between projects/tasks in the smaller window can be fiddly. Also having to click start/stop twice each time is a little frustrating.

Response from Paymo

Thank you for your thoughts, Joanna!

If you're minimizing the web browser window, be sure to collapse the menu and second column for more screen space.

You can also track time manually or use PaymoPlus, our automatic time tracker that sits in your background and tracks activities on your behalf :)

Try it out: https://help.paymoapp.com/en/articles/888726-what-is-paymo-plus

Sean G.
  • Industry: Renewables & Environment

Reviewed on 11/07/2019

Useful for time tracking, has made staff management easier particularly for keeping track of our contract or non-salary hours on a project-by-project basis.

Pros

Useful for tracking hours and billables. Practical API integrations to use for pulling data for further analysis at a project and business level.

Cons

Not the most user friendly interface and lacking depth of features.

Response from Paymo

Hi Sean,

Happy to know that you find the API well-documented, we have an OAuth 2.0 too, although private.

Not sure what you mean with lack of feature depth - can you give us some examples at [email protected]?

Thanks,

Andrew B.

• Customer Support Software

Paymo saves you time - lots of it!

Reviewed on 12/10/2016

I am a remote freelancer. From day one, Paymo made planning, budgeting, organizing, and billing simple and straight forward.

Example:
I use it for project planning and task management. I didn't' even realize at the time, but using the built-in timer against each individual task made it so that I could report to my customer overall time on each high-level project and task. When it came time for the first billing, they wanted that level of detail, and got it w/o with the invoice, w/o having to ask. That makes me look VERY good in their eyes.

This is the sort of detail put into this product. Expect to be wowed.

Pros

The workflow. I enter data once at the top of the workflow - build out projects, tasks and subtasks. From there, I can estimate, budget, track. When it comes time to bill, one click and my customer has everything they need, including detailed time tracking information.

Cons

There are a lot of needs by different types of use cases. Paymo can't satisfy everything. Of the few details that _I_ personally would like to have, their support has always offered a useful alternative.

Carolyn D.

• Customer Support Software

Paymo is helping us manage tasks & deadlines more efficiently -- it's making our lives much...

Reviewed on 20/12/2017

Pros

We're able to manage client projects, tasks, deadlines, and timesheets, which is transforming the way we coordinate and manage short- and long-term tasks. It's provided much-needed structure.

Paymo has additional capabilities that we haven't yet taken advantage of -- reporting, for example. In 2018, we look forward to exploring all of Paymo's features and optimizing our use of its capabilities.

Cons

Some aspects of Paymo's use weren't intuitive to our team, and we had to receive some training to take advantage of some of its capabilities. However, that training was very easy to come by, and Paymo's support has been very responsive.

Costin laurentiu O.

Best tool for startups

Reviewed on 21/01/2019

Great project and team management!

Pros

The flow and the user experience in working with the project and tasks, time tracking, invoicing, etc.
Great support!

Cons

We like to use paymo, and we use it all day, so it will be awesome to have an intern chat.

Response from Paymo

Hey Laurentiu,

May I ask you to submit the chat suggestion on our community forum please ?

This is our way of measuring demand for a feature, before considering to add it or not on our roadmap.

M juliana L.

Great app!

Reviewed on 08/06/2015

I've been using Paymo for over 3 years, and I have seen the evolution of this app. They have definitely evolved with the demands of busy professionals, and have got to a point where the apps are not only easy to use, but with a fun interface. I have recommended Paymo to every person I can, and will keep doing so. The only downside is the price, which is way too high.

Pros

The interface is super easy and fun to use, and the unlimited project feature fits my needs perfectly.

Cons

I would like the task templates to be modified. Currently, I can add tasks and save as templates, but I would like to modify the templates and have this reflected on all projects.

In addition, I have the paid version which allows me to have unlimited active projects, but I am not very happy with the price. I think the price is extremely high, even with the student discount. I would like to pay no more than 99 cents per month, and that would be somewhat fair. The reasons why I haven't moved to a free app (which there are a bunch out there) is because I already have all my projects here. Paymo used to be free for over 3 years, and then they decided to make everyone pay, even those customers who, in one way or another, helped them evolve and make it better.

Raul M.

• Customer Support Software

Complete software with awesome task and time tracking apps

Reviewed on 15/08/2016

With Paymo I can analyze my entire company performance and analyze inside project progress.
Paymo allow me to control each project adding custom or pre-configured task-lists and tasks.
I use zanier to connect with my CRM, so everything works fine and integrated.

Pros

The time tracking apps are awesome.

Cons

Pre scheduled cronograms would improve my capacity to preview future exceeded hours budget.

Response from Paymo

You can use the Team scheduling option to schedule future work and see how busy you and your team is.

Mitch M.

Best on a budget

Reviewed on 25/08/2016

Pros

The small price and big function. I went through a lot of options and free trials to find a project management tool that offers as much for as little. The time tracking and reporting work fantastic. They keep slowly improving and adding functionality.

Cons

There are a few minor glitches that really irk me from time to time but they are trivial. It doesn't seem like there is a way to set preferences for window views so every time I log back in I have to reset the view (shut off the archive items, set the view to go from newest date on reports, things like that). Nothing that has been close to a deal breaker for me.

Jason F.

Great program and app

Reviewed on 02/08/2016

I've been using this system for the past 6 years. It's the best tracking system I've found. I'm able to accurately time my hours, stop and go, manage projects and manage my team.

It really helps my company.

Pros

Timer by task, project management

Cons

Nothing

Ray V.
  • Industry: Information Services

• Customer Support Software

Paymo gives us great insight in work and ability to categorize by billable/non-billable work

Reviewed on 24/04/2018

Managing projects from beginning to end, planning portfolios and associated revenue stream.

Pros

We like most the ease to add clients, projects and tasks . Once setup assigning work to resources applying a budget and mark items as non-billable or billable is great. Following up with time sheets, time reporting and invoicing from with Paymo is a life saver as we now see missed revenue due to managing our time in Paymo correctly. Adding a Statement of work as a project, assigning tasks from the details SOW with billable and non-billable tasks, entering actual time spent allows us to generate an invoice for the SOW that does not affect other projects for the client. We are impressed.

Cons

Compared to the previous cloud previous tool we used there are no items that we find are hindering operating with Paymo. The app is very user friendly.

Madeline F.

Reviewed on 16/03/2020

I am now able to view active projects from many different perspectives very easily, and have complete transparency with the status of each task/phase of my projects. It has been very easy to learn to use and overall very beneficial for our teams project management processes.

Pros

The product is extremely user friendly and if, by chance, something is not clear, the customer service team is very helpful. Switching to Paymo was an almost seamless transition from our previous software and with features like the to-do list and the reports you can generate per project, I am very happy with the switch.

Cons

There really isn't anything that I can think of that I would say is a negative feature of Paymo.

Response from Paymo

You're right, Madeline! For project and task transparency, always go for Kanban Boards

We've recently added a new Client filter, so clients show up on cards inside a board. Be sure to check it out!

Fabian P.

• Customer Support Software

Working in a team has never been easier

Reviewed on 30/06/2018

Pros

This software solved our little lying game " who's fault is this ", we managed better response time and better planning. By using Gantt Charts, we better developed solutions and start building for the future, not just putting fires out every day. Thank you paymo

Cons

There are a few things to suggest, as a team we had to hire a few freelancers, but after a short while they had to upgrade in order touse the invoice function.

• Industry: Management Consulting

good streamlining capabilities for creative type of jobs

Reviewed on 30/12/2018

Pros

Paymo has most of the functions that other task management software provides, but it is uniquely well serving the creative community by having a lot of default setting fit for those industries. Which is not common for project management teams.

Cons

the app targeted for small businesses and freelancers, price is good, but hope there could be a more affordable plan for businesses that hasn't yet taken off