Hightail

Share Files & Collaborate on Creative Projects with Hightail

4.4 /5 (275 reviews) Write a Review!
4.3
Mark P.
Industry: Consumer Goods

Hightail Is An Effective Tool

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 22/09/2020

A client suggested I use Hightail to receive massive files from him. I downloaded it and it worked without fail. I also use Dropbox, but Hightail seems much more focused.

Pros

Enables transfer of massive files between users. Makes remote work easier and once you set it up runs seamlessly.

Cons

I wonder if there are features that I am not using that can be put to good use (I'm primarily using file transfer)

Steven S.
Company size: Self Employed

Hightail helps with transcontinental video documentary projects

Reviewed on 08/07/2019

Excellent, Hightail's an incredibly useful and wonderful video production convenience. I live in west Michigan and I've been privileged to film many concerts in San Jose, California during the past decade. The conductors I work with like to be able to review the editing of their concert videos. The availability of Hightail has proven to be an exceptionally fast and economical way to do that. In the past I'd edit a concert video here in west Michigan and would then send a preview DVD, a very time consuming & slow process. With Hightail I can quickly and efficiently send the conductors an edit of their concert, in standard definition video format, which they can preview and review online wherever they might be. Then conventional DVDs are made. The development of Hightail's become a tremendous & practical utility for transcontinental video production efforts, imho :)

Pros

Convenience, ease of use, control of content distribution, statistical information about numbers of views and/or downloads.

Cons

On one recent occasion a choral concert music video file was uploaded and recipients found the audio and video were not in sync while using the "view" feature on Hightail. The video file could be downloaded successfully with the audio & video in sync. It was only while using the "view" feature that the audio and video were not in sync. The "sync" issue could have been due to the encoding by the server at Hightail or more likely is a problem that happens with uploading a video file in the Apple H.264 codec. Video files encoded by Apple Final Cut using the "Pro Res" codecs have not had audio-video synchronization problems. So we may have found one area where the Hightail file sharing software might need revision to handle H.264.

Ric W.
Industry: Printing

USER FRIENDLY

Reviewed on 29/01/2019

With Hightail, I do not need to maintain a ftp site. Hightail is my ftp site.

Pros

I enjoy using the Hightail platform to send large files to clients and for clients to send large files to my firm. Art files for printing can be extremely large in size making email incompatible for sending. I can upload to Hightail and send in very short time to a client and they will get an email with a link to download. One of the benefits is the client can just download with out having to populate a form with all sorts of personal information. Additionally when I send a file I can immediately get a copy of the download link and email that to others or to the recipient explaining what has been uploaded. Another benefit is that I can email my client a link to upload files to me taking the place of having to maintain my own ftp site. The Hightail platform is USER FRIENDLY for both my staff and my clients staff. I have been using it for years and still see it as a WIN-WIN software program.

Cons

So far there is nothing that i have encountered that I do not like or interferes with my use.

Chris C.
Industry: Motion Pictures & Film

The Best Non-High End Transfer Service

Reviewed on 29/01/2019

I transfer a lot of data per month, and need that data to be very secure. I can't justify the cost of something like Aspera in my small business, and after trying many other transfer services during a time when Hightail was going through some major growing pains realized that this is the best transfer service for what I'm trying to accomplish. There are still things that could be improved, but overall it's an excellent product and one I have recommended to clients many times over the nearly 9 years I've used the service.

Pros

I like that you can easily track files and that it tells you how long it's going to take for the upload to complete.

Cons

I cannot stand that you are not able to create paragraphs in messages that go along with what you're sending. I also slightly prefer the functionality of the old Hightail Express app to the Hightail Spaces app. Another bummer is that when someone comments on a video for feedback (when there are multiple video files in an upload) that you do not keep them all together. It sends a separate email for each one and is enormously time consuming to sift through volume projects if feedback is used in the app.

Jason G.
Industry: Photography

Great service

Reviewed on 08/07/2019

I send images daily and j have photographers who work for me send me images. But I'd my customers are not happy I'm not happy. They need to ba able to download the images quickly and easily without signing up for anything.

Pros

Asa professional photographer I rely on sending images to customers your service has been great.

Cons

A significant number if customers have difficulty downloading the images. They dont want to sign up for anything they just want to see their images. Sending large files is still awkward and takes a long time to download.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Nick O.
Company size: Self Employed

Hightail Makes My Life Easier!

Reviewed on 09/07/2019

I am always sending large files to numerous clients every workday, and Hightail makes it easy to do.

Pros

With but a few (and I do mean very few) instances, Hightail has worked exceptionally well for me and my needs to transfer numerous large files frequently. Reliable, easy to use, and affordable, Hightail is my choice over all the other available services.

Cons

In the 12 plus years I have used Hightail (and it predecessor, yousendit) I really can't think of any, offhand.

Industry: Market Research

Great look for client access!

Reviewed on 08/07/2019

Overall Hightail has been a tremendous asset. The ability to share large files easily in a beautiful way has helped me land and serve several leading clients. I highly recommend the service!

Pros

Hightail is perfect if you need to share large files in a visually appealing format to valued clients. I often use Hightail during the sales and project management stages of a relationship and it is very easy for the client to collaborate and share the files internally and externally.

Cons

There are some minor glitches every few months that cause loading issues. The default format for knowledge management is not easily usable by teams.

Casey P.

Hightail has been great

Reviewed on 08/07/2019

The overall experience has been great. Like I said, it has meant that we can do more work, do it more quickly. For fear of you raising your prices, I have to say that it's a real bargain.

Pros

Basically, it's functionality. I advise a college radio station. With my Hightail account, I'm able to transfer files from a computer in one studio to a computer in another without the computers being networked. That makes things so much more efficient.

That, plus just being able to send audio and video files quickly anywhere is just great. The lack of limits on size and frequency of use is also terrific.

Cons

There have been changes as you've gone from YouSendIt to Hightail and that meant having to figure out what I used to do so easily. With time, I've figured everything out, but it was confusing at first.

Mike T.
Industry: Legal Services

easy to use!

Reviewed on 09/07/2019

This is vitally important to my biz I use this every day sending large video files

Pros

just simple to use. You upload share the link and you're done

Cons

Only thing that would be nice if there's a way I can create a Space and have one of my subcontractors
upload their video onto the space I created like you can do with Share file

Chris C.
Industry: Design

10/10

Reviewed on 08/07/2019

It is simply a lifesaving tool, in business terms and great for both internal and client collaboration
I am proud to have been a user since the early days, and love customizing each portal that I create, and then providing a personalised link to both my team and clients alike

Pros

I have been a user for ten years, and it is so very intuitive

Cons

Trying to change my email address, as a username (not easy)

Izzy W.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

I love this software!

Reviewed on 30/01/2019

Brilliant, easy to learn, quick and efficient, never any problems.

Pros

It is quick to load up big files, it's easy to use, it rarely fails and it saves me so much time! Plus our clients love it and find it easy too use.

Cons

I need to spend more time working out the feedback/comments section on the software. If it works like Asana then I would be over the moon as this is the best comments software I've ever come across and it is becoming more and more important.

Larry W.

The truth about HIGHTAIL Customer Service

Reviewed on 30/01/2019

HIGHTAIL customer service is poor. I have on several occasions e mailed or even tried to leave a fone message and never receive a response to my questions. Questions like, just the other day the software flat refused to send. After several tries, I ended up compressing the audio file and including it in an e mail. Now the client has a compressed version of my audio, when my intention was a fatter .wav file. It would have been nice if HIGHTAIL would have had some kind of trouble notice on their site so I could have anticipated a problem.

Pros

HIGHTAIL gets my audio files to my clients anywhere in the world. But it can be cranky.

Cons

Sometimes client e mail addresses automatically populate in the "to" box. But sometimes they don't. It's when they don't that I have to go back to my e mail program and find the address, copy it and paste it in to my HIGHTAIL send. Also, if I am to quick with attaching a file to upload, I get this "calculate" message which never goes away. I end up going back and starting all over, leaving enough time between the time I attach the file and the time I actually hit send. Frustrating.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Maria R.
Industry: Design

Review Hightail

Reviewed on 29/01/2019

I have a small design studio and I like the Spaces feature the most. I like the way I can upload and share with the team. I like they can access it whenever they want after the original invite. It has saved me time since they can access it anytime and download what they need without having to ask me for it. Nice.

Pros

I needed a place to store all of my files. Most desktop external hard drives fail and my information is lost. So, Hightail Folders have been a good place to store my large files and are accessible from anywhere.

Spaces has been nice to use and organize my work. I like the ability of sharing these files with my clients to get feedback. I like they can access the files and download them when they need them.

Cons

Moving files from one folder to another isn't perfect. I have had problems with this and have worked around it. But, I wish there was a more user friendly way of just dropping and dragging from folder to folder instead of having to go through a menu of tasks to do it.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Richard A.

Unimedia Productions

Reviewed on 10/07/2019

the fastest, most reliable way to send large video files on a daily basis to our client base

Pros

the upload is fast, the preview is very useful and my clients like the software and ease of use

Cons

i'd like to see a more dashboard interface if possible

Ara B.
Industry: Oil & Energy

Easiest Way to Transfer Large Files

Reviewed on 29/01/2019

I use Hightail for transferring large files to customers. I am very happy with the price/performance.

Pros

Easy to use and security features (password, kill by date, receipt)
Reasonably priced

Cons

The steps involved in deleting files over a year old

Industry: Construction

Tech Novice Friendly File Sharing

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 21/08/2020

Use this to send big files to others, to enable others to upload big files to me, and to house files that are too large for my website and tend to time out during download on my website and files that I want to share with a select group of my members by creating a page for folks to visit. It's great to have a dedicated unindexed URL to give others that doesn't require them to create an account.

Pros

Ability to make a large file safely sharable and downloadable via a simple link.

Cons

Nothing really bothered me about the software. It was nice that you can see the files that you've previously sent and that the UI remembers emails you've already sent to and autofills them.

David S.

Downhill all the way since changing from YouSendIt

Reviewed on 19/08/2016

Whatever it is Hightail wishes to become, they've done an awful job of getting there. Their software has been forced upon their users half-baked. Many existing features were eliminated or obfuscated. My clients still get emails with the option to "save to folders" but they cannot .. with GREAT FRUSTRATION. Hightails response .. "We are no longer providing the option to "Save to Folders." Strategically as a company we are moving away from the storage model." How long would it take then to remove that feature from their email notifications. Better we find out this way, when a client calls angry and frustrated. Were I a company trying to coordinate the collaboration and approval of ongoing work, perhaps their new business model would be attractive. But they've moved away from what I and many others used them for, delivering and storing large files. And they've done it in a completely incompetent fashion with little or no warning or instruction. Of course, they won't refund my paid in advance annual membership fees.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Luiza N.
Industry: Printing
Company size: 10,000+ Employees

Great solution

Reviewed on 30/01/2019

Pros

Easy to use, customers do not have to have an account to use it, its totally accessible.

Cons

i cannot think of cons, all works for me.

Robert T.
Industry: Legal Services

High Marks for Hightail

Reviewed on 09/07/2019

We are using Hightail exclusively to share large files, folders, and photos of sensitive assignments with clients all across North America.

Pros

The ease of use, reliability, security, and simplicity for our staff and clients make this our go-to service for transferring and receiving large files.

Cons

I have never received any concerns from employees or, more importantly, our clients on any aspects of sending or receiving large and confidential files.

Miki W.
Industry: Graphic Design

Hightail Review

Reviewed on 29/01/2019

Pros

The ease of transferring large files and tracking their retrieval.

Cons

That I can't easily search my past sends and archives. The search function is maddening. I know the files are there but it can't find anything. It makes me with I hadn't archived anything with Hightail at all.
Some of my clients have trouble retrieving files I send them. They get prompts to join. They just want the files with no hoops.

Barbara W.
Industry: Biotechnology

Secure, easy file transfer

Reviewed on 30/01/2019

I feel safe sending password protected files and I'm delighted that I have options like verifying the recipient and confirmation of recipients' receipt of files.

Pros

This user-friendly software is reliable and secure and has never failed me - I've been using it for anearly decade and it has never failed me.

Cons

There's nothing I dislike about this software - it performs consistently well!

Amber R.
Industry: Photography

Loyal customer

Reviewed on 29/01/2019

To have one place to work from including having clients send me content, is what has kept me loyal the past several years.

Pros

I love that all of the content that I have uploaded throughout the years is still there should I or a client need to access it. The level of reliability is essential in our industry.

Cons

I don't feel it is as user friendly via mobile devises.

Brittany D.
Industry: Construction

Not much to it.

Reviewed on 07/05/2020

Over all it does its job. Gives me what I need. My plans.

Pros

Not to much to it I get a bid invite from maybe two General Contractors and I click the documents to have them download.

Cons

Not much to it. No good back ground just simply enough to get what you need done. I only receive bid invites through this system.

Likelihood to recommend: 2.0/10

Michael S.
Company size: Self Employed

Dependable and fast way to deliver files.

Reviewed on 21/05/2019

I used Hightail to send video files and various digital assets back and forth for clients and between a creative team.

Pros

Fast. Easy to Use. Dependable. Works well for multiple files or one. Option to archive files.

Cons

Nothing. It is a great tool and one of the best ways to share files.

Brenda B.
Industry: Law Practice

My review

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 29/01/2019

Overall the program works like it is supposed to. It took some time for me to get the hang of it, but I feel pretty confident while I'm working on it.

Pros

I like that the program does not have a size limit. I can set up a project and put documents in the folder without worrying about it bouncing back due to its size. I can also invite people to the projects and send them a link.

Cons

The least favorite feature is that the program does not allow for folders to be downloaded. Also, sometimes the documents take a little longer to upload and it causes the program to crash. This has happened to me on a few occasions.