Hightail

Share Files & Collaborate on Creative Projects with Hightail

4.4 /5 (278 reviews) Write a Review!

Tom G.
  • Industry: Printing

Hightail -- One of the better FTP Software Packages Available

Reviewed on 21/06/2020

Most of the FTP (file transfer protocol) programs that exist -- in my book as an industry professional, are an unnecessary expense for the client, because we already have easy-to-access FTP programs in place -- which for some reason, clients resist using, generally claiming difficulty in use. Nothing could be farther from the truth, and most paid FTP software programs strike me as being extraneous at best. The only good thing about Hightail, is when you receive the email with the file transfer link, it doesn't (yet!) trigger our corporate firewall, so you can pretty easily download the client files without having to go to a computer that we have rigged to intentionally subvert the firewall. So there's that. Every other paid FTP program that exists out there (We Transfer, for example) seems to immediately trigger the firewall, which is an aggravating issue.

Pros

In terms of FTP software programs, it generally works effortlessly, and doesn't require getting around RR Donnelley's firewall in order to retrieve files.

Cons

It's not inexpensive to use, and if you're only using the free version to retrieve files, you get constantly bombarded with requests to buy a paid version.

• Industry: Telecommunications

• Customer Support Software

Modern Review & Approval, Finally!

Reviewed on 31/01/2019

1. Speed to Market – the ability to provide feedback and reviews within the Hightail platform, without downloading content brings final versions to frontline teams sooner and with greater quality than old review methods.
2. Ease of Use – from individual contributors, to SMEs, managers, directors and above, adoption has been easy, even when reviewers were not tech savvy, so approval requests don’t “bottleneck” when using the Hightail platform.
3. Accountability – tracking and managing comments and feedback in one secure location eliminates assumptions about design choices, and provides clear ownership between requestor and design team member.
4. Vendor Management – centralized, secure, controlled access between T-Mobile and vendors of creative content in collaboration with design teams makes managing vendor performance faster, easier, and more transparent.
5. Security and Speed – ensuring content review takes place in a shared, secure, and trackable space eliminates churn and delay caused by feedback being provided as attached docs or large files sent through various other means.
6. Error Reduction – secure and centralized spaces for feedback, reviews, and approvals in Hightail stops a patchwork of tools currently in use from causing errors related to file access and/or incorrect version management or tracking.
7. Increased Efficiency – removing several tools from the review and approval process with the use of Hightail reduces the number of actions required of design teams,

Pros

A mobile-ready solution that makes it easy for peers, partners, stakeholders, and vendors to see work product all in one place. This centralized approach ensures everyone is offering feedback on the correct version of an asset, and seeing peers comments, which reduces redundancy, making the process faster. Assigning feedback to team members as an action item is great, and ensures people can work focus on what matters, in a prioritized manner. Approval flows, both linear and non-linear make it easy to get the feedback needed in a timely manner.

Cons

Adding new team members to a space, based on the formatting of the introductory email is NOT ideal. The level of confusion for new users on 'where to start' or 'how to login' required additional emails and communication to ensure a smooth onboarding process. This level of effort wasn't extreme, but is the opposite of easy and has lead to some initial perception hurdles based caused by the way people feel about the solution, based on the poorly formatted and confusing 'welcome' email.

Trisha K.

Stepping Up Provide for Customer Needs

Reviewed on 08/07/2019

I am teaching classes to students all around the world with Hightail, without ever leaving my desk. No TSA. No hotels. No airport delays. Just high efficiency and productivity.

Pros

When I need to be able to deliver a large file, whether graphic or media, HighTail delivers. Fast. Efficient. Handled. Period.

Cons

When I need to deliver a file to multiple clients, I cannot create a group. I must type in every last email every single time. I have better things to do with my time. There used to be a group option, just like there used to be folder options. I have called. I have written. I have been told "sorry, we can't do that" and "sorry, we don't offer that."

Those are not the answers I want.

As my clientele grows, Hightail is holding me back.

These are simple requests. Either Hightail will prioritize them, or I will be forced to find someone who will.

Hope you're listening this time…

Monnica S.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

• Customer Support Software

The best investment I've made!

Reviewed on 29/01/2019

I am loyal to Hightail which says a lot. When I joined it was called You Send it and then Hightail and I guess there is a new name now. I will always call it Hightail. Its outstanding service. Thank you.

Pros

I love Hightail and have been a customer for a few years. The monthly rate is great and I hope and pray that you don't raise your prices. I have NO complaints. It's easy and its fast. Thank you Hightail!

Cons

Oh only one time the file I sent didn't make it to the recipient. Another time the desktop app didn't work. I got an error message and had to start over typing in the directions inside the text window. I called and I was helped by fantastic customer support and or tech support. Thank you.

Frederick P.
  • Industry: Sports

Semi-Tech Challenged Retired Guy

Reviewed on 30/01/2019

I can sell my products electronically/digitally. I no longer need to create DVD's and physically mail them. It really saves time and expense.

Pros

I use it for a hobby business I have. I send training videos to customers using Hightail. The upload and sending speed is great. I can fulfill several orders while I am sitting drinking my morning coffee.....it is just to easy.

Cons

I would love it if this software allowed me to send but not give the customer the ability to download/save/share.....but rather had the ability to allow someone access to view for a set amount of time.

Jenai F.

• Customer Support Software

Great, With a few small tweaks

Reviewed on 15/10/2019

Overall experience with Hightail has been great. They are quick to assist with issues and overall have a great product

Pros

It is the Easiest way to share materials between colleagues and clients. With everything in one place, all can access without the need for sending email attachments

Cons

You cannot copy items between folders (only to spaces) if you are “cleaning up” and reorganizing a folder, you have to download then reupload into new folder

Thad U.

• Customer Support Software

Overall great feature set, could do with some functionality tweaking

Reviewed on 09/07/2019

I manage the content for an educational video publisher, often delivering orders as well as managing videos to be uploaded onto the site. Hightail makes it easy to do everything I need to do in one place, as well as looking professional (more so than a wetransfer link in my opinion) when delivering orders.

Pros

- The ability to send large quantities of content
- The ability for people to deliver large amounts of material to me without having to create an account
- The ability to collaborate with remoters on creative projects

Cons

- Sometimes deliveries fail with no warning (the upload will stop at a certain 'time remaining') and I'll have to redo it. This means I have to remember exactly what was in the last batch etc.

- You can't filter your received files by anything (date, user, type etc.)

- You can't filter your sent items by the same.

- Sometimes downloading large numbers of files at once doesn't work (maybe that's just an unzipping problem on my end?)

- Sometimes people sending content via our uplink get confused and cannot access it, or try and create an account. Perhaps confusing user flow?

Peggy F.

Hightail Review

Reviewed on 08/07/2019

I have been using/working with Hightail since it was YouSendIt many years ago. I have enjoyed the ability to send large files (I do graphic design & video creation) to clients. Have not had a need to contact customer support (that I can remember). Affordable tool for my business.

Pros

Ease of use when sending large files to clients
Like the email notification when someone downloads a file
Like that you can view a file before downloading
Drag and drop large files to send quickly

Cons

Not a fan of email component - no formatting to email
Clients are sometimes confused on if they need to create a login to download files I send them
Does not integrate with my Outlook email program - need to send followup email to clients to notify another email with download links will follow

Josh W.
  • Industry: Design

Not sure if this is the best solution

Reviewed on 09/07/2019

Has served me decent, need something more fuel suite integration.

Pros

I like that it handles large files and you can send the link off to clients.

Cons

It’s limited to just doing file transfer. They tried building new features which we find completely useless. Dropbox is a far better solution esp once they get their large file transfer feature up and running soon.

Ryan T.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Hightail all the way

Reviewed on 09/07/2019

A great tool for our business to share very large artwork files

Pros

Best program for file sharing - easy to upload and share.

Cons

Amending files in spaces - not able to amend one file

Michael A.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Hightail Convenience

Reviewed on 08/07/2019

The fact that Hightail is website based means I can access the program easily from any of the computers I use to generate content without having to load an app on each of them.

Pros

An easy and practical way to send large video and music files.

Cons

The website interface is awkward. Especially the black background with white text that makes finding the cursor difficult. There is little grace to the overall design.

Josh A.
  • Industry: Media Production

Good if using paid plan

Reviewed on 21/04/2020

I use Hightail every week for delivering assets to clients. The storage side of Hightail is less appealing, in comparison to OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Drive. I would prefer to exclusively use Hightail for large file sending.

Pros

I really enjoy the simple and fast upload speeds for sending files, which seems to be much faster than other file sending services.

Cons

The file delivery limits make it challenging for sending video assets, which tend to be more than 25GB. Other services are just fine for sending a final deliverable, which are generally <1GB, but to pay a monthly service for file sending, I'd expect there to be an higher cap than 25GB for the Pro version.

John I.
  • Industry: Music

Hightail review by Hit Trax MIDI Files

Reviewed on 09/07/2019

Very effective for business and transferring large files. Very reliable.

Pros

Convenience, ease of use. Recipients never have issues downloading fils we upload and visa versa.

Cons

No ability to save custom messages and replies to drop into message box.

Milt D.

Very good program

Excellant

Pros

Easy to transfer files non zipped or use the built in zipper.
Client can also for the file to his customer,\. I have been using this program since 2012 when is was YouSendIt

Cons

I had no problems installing the program and using it.

Scott H.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

• Customer Support Software

Hightail simplifies my workflow and transmission of video projects to my respective clients.

Reviewed on 12/03/2020

It works.....that is my bottom line.

Pros

It works reasonably fast, 101% without fail, though sometimes it takes a long time to transmit.

Cons

A reviewing process that won't let me say what i want!!!

Anna B.
  • Industry: Publishing

Awesome product

Reviewed on 08/07/2019

Phenomenal. Couldn't do my business without this product

Pros

Easy to use, fun, multi user, send large files

Cons

Sometimes slow to upload or send if a huge file...wish it was super fast....

Martha B.

Totally reliable

Reviewed on 08/07/2019

Hightail completes the tasks I'm hired to perform.

Pros

It is critical that I can trust the files I send will reach my clients. I've never had a failure and clients never report any difficulties in obtaining their files. Also the interface provides a record of uploads I can reference. Hightail helps me practically every day.

Cons

Hightail spaces seem a little confusing but one of my clients uses it without problems.

Gabriele F.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Excellent service!

Reviewed on 30/01/2019

To me it remains one excellent way to share big files with people external to my organization.

Pros

It's very handy and useful, as most of the times I need to send big files I had troubles with standard mails or other services.

Cons

There are sometimes troubles in the opening of the page and I noticed it depends also on the browser you're using. It would be nice to have a working version for any kind of browser.

Jo ann C.
  • Industry: International Trade & Development
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Hightail is a Lifesaver - a Great Tool for Disseminating Large Files

Reviewed on 04/09/2019

I've been using Hightail for many years, sending groups of documents and large documents with ease - and far more quickly than they would "send" using Outlook - Hightail can send 20 or more documents in the time it takes the email approach to send a single one of those documents.

Pros

I can send all of the documents related to a single project at once - including large files.

Cons

When the format changed, I had a bit of trouble figuring out how to send files.

Lynne P.

Great large file transfer

Reviewed on 29/01/2019

Quick transfer of large presentations and high res images

Pros

HighTail/OpenText is easy to use and that makes sharing files a quick task. I haven’t used the feature where multiple people,can work on a file yet, but would like to

Cons

That you have to send individual documents/images. There are times when I’d like to send a whole folder and either you can’t or I’m not sure how to do that anymore.

Roby B.
  • Industry: Media Production

It works!

Reviewed on 08/07/2019

It allows me to upload preview video files for client review and then delivery of the final product once approved. Usually these files are less than 1GB; 1920x1080p mp4 HD video in stereo.

Pros

It works as advertised. Good feature set.

Cons

Does not allow the uploading of a FOLDER, i.e. a batch of still photos.

William J.

Hightail: A Can't-Do-Without

Reviewed on 16/07/2019

I send digital images to my Editors. Each image is about 20MB and a dispatch of images can be as large as 600MB. Email can't do it. Recently I had a rush job. I was in South Dakota, my editor in Wales, and we were on deadline. Images and text were delivered quickly and with ultimate reliability. All other dispatches around the world have been trouble free.

Pros

It is extremely easy to use and fast to prepare a dispatch. It has been totally reliable. It allows me to track dispatches. My customers have never had a problem downloading.

Cons

I love the software. The only issue is internet speed. I send large images; without enough bandwith, images may be slow to upload. That isn't Hightail's fault.

Daniel U.

• Customer Support Software

My experience has been great. This program has one major goal, and it executes it perfectly.

Reviewed on 14/12/2017

I'm able to send large size files without issue. I can do it from the web, mobile app, or Outlook without issue.

Pros

It's easy to use. In our fast paced environment, we need tools like this that require little effort to use. I love how there is a mobile app as well as plugins to Outlook.

Hannah S.

• Customer Support Software

Hightail is my go-to for file sharing

Reviewed on 06/12/2016

Hightail is my go-to when it comes to quick and easy file sharing. Often, I have to send projects that are large in file size and won't send over an email and rarely can I send them over another FTP site. With a few clicks of a button, I'm able to send my files over to fellow employees or clients and they receive them with very little delay.

Mindy I.
  • Industry: Graphic Design Software
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

• Customer Support Software

Love the simplicity of it

Reviewed on 06/10/2020

Very good experience. My first time using this was when a collaborator needed to send me files that were too large, and I found that process very simple, so I started using it from time to time when I need to send a one-off file to someone that is too large to email.

Pros

I love that it is extremely easy for everyone involved to use. Whether you are sending or receiving files, it's a very simple process which is so important when I use this service with clients.

Cons

I think it's a bit expensive to use for larger files. I would like to see a less expensive plan than PRO at $12 that will give you a bit more options than the FREE version. As it is, with FREE I cannot set an expiration date or password, but do not use the service enough to warrant paying the PRO monthly price.