Quicken

Write a Review!
Brings all your accounts together in one place

3.7/5

David
David

Quicken Home & Business 2022 Review

Reviewed on 25/11/2022

We use this software for the accounting of my wife's small business and financial reporting needs for select government programs. This is the best accounting software for a small business owner/sole proprietor in the market today. We have been using this program for nearly ten years.

Pros

I like the updated tax tables and current regulatory database for up-to-date tax prep tax schedules and deductions. It is easy to input transactions, categorize them, and get a running balance with ease.

Cons

My least favorite thing about this software is that it now requires a subscription instead of buying the program for a set price.

Robyn
  • Industry: Accounting Software

• Customer Support Software

Quicken is a Great Program!

Reviewed on 18/10/2022

Placed it on 2 units at first to try it out in our office and loved it so much we decided to switch everyone to it instead. Been using it daily for almost 3 years now. It's an excellent program!

Pros

It's very easy to self learn this program. It is equally as easy to teach to others too because it's simple to understand

Cons

I have no complaints. It was easy to set up, it was easy to convert info from the prior program we were using. It was easy to learn and easy to teach to others. 10 out of 10 far as I'm concerned!

QuickBooks Enterprise

Reasons for Switching to Quicken

Easier to learn according to reviews we read.
Mike
  • Industry: Insurance Software

• Customer Support Software

Is there anything out there other than Quicken?????

Reviewed on 08/03/2018

If I could give less than 1 star I would! I have been a huge supporter of Quicken in the past. I encouraged my kids and clients and anyone that would listen to use Quicken. Sorry!
I have now gone to using my online banking bill pay through my bank which is free!

Pros

This used to be a great product! I have used it since 1993 to track my business finances and investments. It really helps at tax time.

Cons

Support is worse than non-existent. It is March 8th and I have been trying to get support since the first week in January. I was on the phone with a rep for 2 hours trying to get bill pay to work. I was told to hang on I need to ask my manager about that and then hung up on. I tried chatting and was told that you cannot use chat for online bill pay. Called the support number and was told that there is a special number for online bill pay. I called that number and was told by the rep that I needed to go to quickenbillpay.com but he would stay on the line and would call me back if I got disconnected. That was a week ago. Still havent gotten at call. Went through the insutructions on the quickenbillpay.com website to set up a new account and it indicated it would take 2 -3 days to set up an account and I would receive 2 transactions on my bank statement from them. Check my statement and then come back and enter those figures to confirm I own the account. That was 6 days ago and still no transactions. Yesterday I received an email that I must send in 1. My drivers License. 2. My Social Security Card. 3. my most recent utility bill from water, gas, or electric company only. 4. A voided check from each account I want to use.
Sounds like an internet scam to me. I called quicken and explained I wasn't comfortable sending all of this over the internet and by the way I have been paying for your services for 25 years and now you want all of this info. Their response is quicken was sold and that they are a new company and they have to have the info or no bill pay services! No wonder they bill pay services are now included in the Premier package. No one can use it! The bad part is I have all of my payments for cars, houses, utilities, credit cards set up for auto pay using quicken bill pay. Now I have to find another way to get them paid because it has taken 2 months and I still am not set up for bill pay. By the way they don't tell you this is what happens when you download Quicken 2018. Beware!

PAUL
  • Industry: Photography

Using Quicken Since Its Inception

Reviewed on 27/10/2023

I have been using Quicken since it was running on MS-DOS - a long time. This software has always met my financial record keeping needs.

Pros

Relatively easy to set up accounts, enter data and create reports

Cons

Would like to be able to make a direct connection to my bank for bill paying - i.e. Enter a bill payment into Quicken and have Quicken directly tell my bank to initiate a payment to a vendor without having to go to my bank's web site to enter and initiate a payment.

Nina
Nina

Quicken Rental Property Manager works some of the time

Reviewed on 29/10/2019

I've been using this program for over 10 years and while it it not perfect it is better than nothing. I would like the rental part to be easier and more reliable to use. I like that you can integrate Zillow estimates and values to properties.

Pros

I liked that it integrates all my accounts and I can track rentals, home and business at the same time. Reports are fairly accurate and are very useful for accounting and tracking purposes.

Cons

Has bugs that I cannot figure out. Sometimes the transfers don't ever show up and the accounts get messed up. Hard to track rents in the format that is available. I can't figure out how to enter and keep all reconciled the way they want you to do it.

Dan
Dan
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Don't bother

Reviewed on 29/01/2019

Pros

It is relatively cheap, if you can find it on sale, and has a few good features for property managers including the ability to automatically send invoices. You also get all the typical features of Quicken, like the ability to track your personal finances, connect all your banks and investment accounts, download statements, etc. I've been using Quicken for years and years and it's definitely the most important program I own and need and I hate pretty much everything about it.

Cons

Quicken, by now, is the most bloated piece of software in the history of the world. There are dialogs and sections of this app that were likely last touched when Reagan was present. It's a crazy amalgamation of features added over time. When using the app, doing even the most basic tasks kicks off a round of screen refreshes, flashes and such. No clue why it does that, but the whole thing desperately needs an overhaul.

KAYLA JANE
  • Industry: Wholesale

• Customer Support Software

Quicken is OK but not the end-all solution

Reviewed on 30/01/2024

Quicken keeps me organized for personal use but there are always additional steps when it comes to business. I use it for two small businesses, both of which require sending the transactions and reports from Quicken to external accountants. This program is best for individual use, and managing your own transactions unrelated to owning any business.

Pros

I like the ability to organize and ease of us. I like the connectivity to other websites, accessibility from many platforms, and simply layout. Quicken is ideal for transaction management.

Cons

Quicken provides information but generating taxes, tracking capital equipment, really anything beyond the bare bones - is another investment in different software or an accountant.

Ricky
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Powerful accounting software

Reviewed on 20/11/2023

Pros

It is a powerful accounting tool that can provide a visual overview of different accounts.

Cons

We need to reconcile frequently; otherwise, we will make mistakes easily.

Mahlon
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

This is a great software for basic accounting

Reviewed on 18/10/2023

We use this for accounting for our small private school. It works well but in this situation since we don't make invoices and need the features that Quickbooks offers.

Pros

It is a very basic easy to use software.

Cons

It works great for basic use but lacks many features of Quickbooks if you need them

Delmar
  • Industry: Accounting Software

I like it. Helps me keep track of my money

Reviewed on 28/06/2016

Pros

Easy to enter/edit transactions and run thorough reports. I love how I can do invoices (customizable too) and receive payments for projects/services.

Cons

UI could be modernized a bit more but that's not a big deal. The biggest thing is probably that it doesn't have all the Canadian banks to sync transactions with so I've never used that function. However, they might have updated that on a later version already.

Debbie

• Customer Support Software

Quicken from a Person who is not techie

Reviewed on 31/01/2023

- Quicken can help businesses track their income and expenses, so they can identify areas where they can save money. - Quicken can help businesses track investments and generate reports to help them make informed decisions. - Quicken can help businesses keep track of their customer invoices and payments, so they can accurately manage their cash flow. - Quicken can help businesses manage their payroll and taxes, so they can stay compliant with the law. Benefits- Quicken can help businesses save time by automating mundane tasks. - Quicken can help businesses reduce costs by streamlining their accounting processes. - Quicken can help businesses make more informed decisions by providing detailed financial reports and analysis. - Quicken can help businesses stay organized and efficient by providing access to all of their financial information in one place.

Pros

- Quicken is a comprehensive financial software package that can help users manage their finances in one place. - Quicken allows users to track their income and expenses, create budgets, and manage investments. - It also provides tools to track investments and create financial reports. - Quicken makes it easy to track and categorize spending, so users can identify potential areas of savings.

Cons

- Quicken can be expensive, and some of its features may be too complex for beginners. - Quicken may be difficult to use for those who are not familiar with computers or accounting software. - Quicken does not integrate with other accounting software, so users must manually enter data.

Jen

• Customer Support Software

Great for general accounting...

Reviewed on 13/02/2017

We have 65+ rental properties. I had waited to enter them into the rental property part until I worked out the kinks of the accounting part. I had issues with bank connectivity and then mobile sync was not working properly. After I got that fixed, I decided that in January I would start entering in my tenant's info. Here are my problems:
1. Most of our houses are section 8 which means 2 checks and NO, you can not just have 1 housing payment that you split into your houses and have those apply to your tenants. you HAVE TO MAKE A SEPARATE TENANT for EACH house labeled section 8 (or what ever) and house number or something to uniquely identify it. PAINFUL!!!!!!!
2. Lets say you have an invoice from Vendor A and they have invoiced you for 3 properties. You have to put the invoice on the tenant side (each invoice to each house) then when you go to pay Vendor A- it prints multiple checks. Not just one check or an option to pay several invoices for vendor A. THAT IS CRAZY!!! (For me it was going to print 10 checks to the same vendor. I then went to the banking side and made a check, tagging each property which then printed one check but the system did not enter the charges into the tenants side. So you need to do double entry. WHO HAS TIME FOR THAT?
I called customer service-super nice but spent SEVERAL hours trying to get it figured out. They ended up saying how terrible it was.
3. There are no useful reports.
Bottom Line:
I ended up going with a property management software. I interviewed Builidium, Appfolio, and a few others. Expensive but hopefully it will help me out in the long run. Anything is better than this.

Pros

easy to change the payee/category/tag

Cons

see above

melissa

RENEW SUBSCRIPTION REMINDER

Reviewed on 05/04/2021

WAS A VERY HAPPY USER FOR 21 YEARS.....NOT NOW!! THEY SHOULD ADVERTISE IF YOU DO NOT PURCHACE THE MEMBERSHIP THEY WILL MAKE YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH THE SOFTWARE NOT USER FRIENDLY. IF YOU ARE A BUSINESS LIKE MINE THAT YOU DO NOT INTEND TO DOWNLOAD INFORMATION FROM ONLINE....YOU MAY WANT TO CONSIDER A DIFFERENT PROGRAM BECAUSE THEY ARE TAKING UP YOUR SCREEN SPACE WITH ADVERTISEMENTS.

Pros

I HAVE BEEN A QUICKEN USER (MOSTLY 2004 VERSION)FOR OVER 21 YEARS. I FINALLY SAID I SHOULD UPDATE MY QUICKEN PROGRAM. THAT BEING SAID I UPDATED TO 2019 VERSION. THE PROGRAM IS WHAT I EXPECTED TILL THE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP RAN OUT THAT THEY GIVE YOU FOR PURCHACING THE PROGRAM.
I DO NOT NEED ANY DOWNLOADS FROM BANKS ETC. I ENTER ALL MY INFORMATION MANUALLY.
THEY SAY YOU DO NOT NEED TO PURCHACE ANY ADDITIONAL MEMBERSHIP IF YOU WANT TO ENTER MANUALLY.

Cons

THEY TAKE UP YOUR AVAILABLE SCREEN SPACE WITH A LARGE BANNER ADVERTISING TO RENEW YOUR MEMBERSHIP. SO NOW YOU CANNOT USE THE SCREEN SPACE AND SEE YOUR BALANCES AND OTHER INFORMATION EASILY. MEMBERSHIP IS $89 A YEAR. THAT IS A HEAVY COST TO PAY TO REMOVE THEIR ADVERTISEMENT FROM MY SCREEN!!!!

Thandile
  • Industry: Entertainment

• Customer Support Software

Extraordinary for following your financial status, all around incredible.

Reviewed on 08/04/2021

Exceptional for getting your records all together and starting to see elevated perspective where you and your money is. I could have done without the evaporated features before my last update yet i'm adequate now. It's one of my essential applications!

Pros

It's a direct mechanical assembly to use for most business structures fit for managing trades, taking everything into account, and repeat. It is the best product (in my opinion) to follow records, adventures and business pay/expenses in all cases spot and on your work region rather than having that information simply on the web. Having the option to see each record in one spot truly permits you to all the more likely control your funds and spending plan. It's absolutely the best.

Cons

What I have gotten extremely astounded with is the marking in and my intuit ID. At whatever point the systems logs me out, for no good reason, whenever I log back in, it just doesn't take me to my standard page, it makes another page and new record for me. It's terrifying and it has been occurring even more once in a while. In like manner, I do feel the spending section of the application could use some work. I genuinely cherished it as a matter of first importance, however at this point it is fairly a desolation to use and have not used it since.

Luis
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

• Customer Support Software

Quicken has lost its way

Reviewed on 09/02/2018

Pros

Quicken allows for standard management of finances and in the deluxe version has a host of features including budget management, investement management, and more.

Cons

The problem with Quicken in today's age is that it has passed through many corporate hands and the core problems have never been fully addressed. The system is glitchy. The connections to banks and financial institutions are sometimes inaccurate. But worst of all, the platform has changed to a subscription model where previously owning the software allowed for many years of use. After an "update" in the fall of 2017, my 2016 version stopped working. Online support stated it was a problem with the update and we needed to reinstall, but when we did we could no longer download our transactions. This was a scheming and greedy way for Quicken to try to push users into the 2018 subscription model. With that kind of treatment of it's customers, I'd recommend you go elsewhere.

Lynn
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

• Customer Support Software

Don't give up - it's probably worth it.

Reviewed on 25/09/2020

I had used many different types of accounting software for small and large businesses. So when I wanted a software program for my own purposes, and to grow from our personal finances into a small side business, I expected to use Quickbooks because I was familiar. Someone recommended Quicken. I tried to set it up 3 times in a free trial period, but it seemed very difficult, so I let it slide. One slow day, I persevered and completed the set up. Thank goodness I did. Once the set up is complete, the functioning is so much smoother and easier than Quickbooks was for my purposes. I'm so glad I didn't give up. I am saving time and money by using Quicken now. Well worth the effort in the set up.

Pros

The functionality has impressed me. It's bill pay feature is better than I had anticipated, and it's layout and easy viewing is making it one of my new favorite accounting software programs - and I've had many. I didn't think I would want to stray from Quickbooks, but 3 months in and I am thinking I may not want to ever go back. Correction.... I am thinking I may not ever NEED to go back.

Cons

I was a little overwhelmed in the set up - which is why I set up my accounts in the free trial 3 times and let it sit for months. It seemed too daunting and I was scared it would be way too complex and difficult to navigate. I just didn't give it chance. Once you get past the start, it's way easier, I believe, than Quickbooks. Simpler, so it may not be for everyone, but it is for my purposes.

Tina

100% UNRELIABLE - prepare for lost data and hours of rework

Reviewed on 12/06/2018

if you are considering purchasing this software, run like the wind

if you are considering purchasing this software, run like the wind

Pros

I like that I can create different accounts and it's somewhat easy to do searches and run reports for my rental expenses. I was happy with the software for about the 1st month I had it.

Cons

This is hands down, the most buggy software I've ever used. I use the mobile app to input receipts and then I sync with the desktop.. only I find myself on the phone with Quicken support almost every single time I use it because it won't sync to the cloud properly. Sometimes I get errors, other times, not all the receipts transfer over and they often have to reset my cloud which deletes hours worth of work i've put in. What's the best thing EVER??? Trying to find what data was deleted and starting all over again... yeah, my worst freakin fear. This software is EXACTLY my worst fear. completly 100% unreliable. I would go to a competitor in an instant if I could find an alternative and I look all the time. Maybe Neatworks.

Ruben
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Another all-time favorite agonizes in the mobile era

Reviewed on 24/07/2018

Quicken needs to move faster to mobile and cloud if it really wants to survive.
100% integration...

Quicken needs to move faster to mobile and cloud if it really wants to survive.
100% integration with QuickBooks, additional security features, support for more cloud backup providers are features that should be already available but are no show.
Intuit own's Mint App is an example of how Quicken should be but, for some reason, they have decided to continue working on the same outdated software instead of relaunching.
Still, Quicken is a big respected brand in the financial software world that continues to be one of my favorites.

Pros

- A longtime runner with a big user fan base
- The very familiar interface allows old users to upgrade without a steep learning curve
- Very similar Mac and Windows version allows painless platform switch
- Supports most banks and account syncing in The US
- Does not require a monthly or annual fee

Cons

- The interface is beginning to look a bit outdated compared to new mobile apps available for iOS and Android
- No equivalent mobile version available
- Cloud syncing and backup is limited and not easy to setup (dropbox required)
- Version to version upgrades sometimes include little to no enough new features for the price (That's why some users are still using 5-8 years old versions)

Michael
  • Industry: Legal Services

• Customer Support Software

Why can't we sync between computers?

Reviewed on 05/08/2023

You can't sync

You can't sync

Pros

Quicken is easy to use and updating from a previous version went well.

Cons

It drives me crazy that you can't sync information between computers. I'm no expert, but I can't see why you can't have information from the Quicken cloud update information on the computer.I use Quicken at work and at home. If I could just sync information that I added at home to my work computer and vice versa, it would be perfect.I don't know why this feature can't be added.

Donna
  • Industry: Insurance Software

Quicken is Easy

Reviewed on 29/09/2022

Print checks, reconciling bank accounts

Print checks, reconciling bank accounts

Pros

Very easy to use and train new employees on its use.

Cons

All the different upgrades and customer support.

QuickBooks Enterprise

Reasons for Switching to Quicken

Did not need software that detailed
Jason

Mostly good/ some annoyances

Reviewed on 04/12/2018

Pros

Links your bank account.
Does recurring invoices
Can file your taxes
Payroll
Can set up automatic payment for customers.

Cons

Can link two recurring invoices for a customer. Ex. The regular monthly invoice then when the semi annual invoice needs to be billed it doesn’t link so I have to print two invoices. Also, when I print all the invoices it doesn’t print each person’s invoice right after the other. So I end up searching for that second invoice. It’s a mess. It sounds so confusing to read what I wrote. But basically sometimes I end up sending two separate envelopes on the same month for one customer because when it needs to be printed it doesn’t organize then invoices per customer.

Tim

Quicken 2018 release is the worst software ever!

Reviewed on 31/12/2017

Someone had best get control of the QA of the software. I would really hate to see this product die after all these years.

Pros

It used to be easy to use and very helpful. It can track your personal bills as well as track rental expenses.

Cons

Extremely buggy. Features that used to work are broken or just removed entirely. There used to be a cool interface showing what bills were coming up - that's been removed and replaced with a simple list. Linking to bill accounts just blows up the whole program and it crashes. Some of the totals don't appear to update when you make changes. All of this, and they've changed to a subscription model, so you can still pay full price, but just receive a year's worth of buggy mess.

Aaron
Aaron
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Unable to purchase in Canada - Postal Code issue

Reviewed on 26/11/2022

Pros

Customer service was prompt and really tried to help me with my purchasing issue.

Cons

It is impossible to purchase this product in Canada. I spent well over an hour (~50min with customer service - both through chat and a personal phone call) trying to purchase. Every solution lead me back to the issue that when I tried to submit my order, the purchasing page forced me to enter a zip code, with no option for a postal code. I created an account with my Canadian address, downloaded the software, cleared my cache and cookies, restarted my computer, worked with [SENSITIVE CONTENT] from customer support to approach the purchasing page from various links and browsers, nothing would allow me to purchase the software. If Quicken can't get something as simple as postal code v/s zip code correct when a new customer is trying to purchase, how can I trust them with my banking information?

Dennis
  • Industry: Executive Office

20+ year user, now totally dissatisfied

Reviewed on 21/02/2022

Quicken just doesn't care about good customer service. It is now unusable, so I didn't renew my subscription. It's better to just do things manually than use software that doesn't work. I have gotten zero value out of it since November 2021.

Pros

updates of financial companies data (banks, credit card, Investing).

Cons

It now doesn't work with Schwab to download investing data. On or about 11/19/2021 when Schwab introduced an enhanced security process, which Quicken was totally unprepared for, Quicken just doesn't function with Schwab updates. I've spent 50 hours trying to get it to work and been on the phone 3 times (total of 6 hours) to no avail.

Claudia

• Customer Support Software

Great for tracking your financial status, but needs improvement

Reviewed on 17/02/2018

Pros

I've been using Quicken since 1988, so I'm very familiar with it. You can easily track checking, credit card and savings accounts. Quicken partners with thousands of banks and financial institutions so you can download your activity rather than having to manually enter it. It makes balancing your checkbook a breeze! It is rare for it to not reconcile correctly, and when that happens, it is invariably a mistake I made. You can also use it to track investments, create budgets, run reports. I use the Home and Business version which lets me track business activity separately from personal activity. I keep track of my rental property, which makes it very easy to file a schedule C come tax time. It's been an invaluable tool for me over the years and has helped me meet my financial goals.

Cons

In the last several years, the quality of the software was an issue. Lots of annoying bugs and crashes. Fortunately the company is addressing these issues.