Resource Guru Reviews

Resource Guru

Write a Review!
Blissfully simple resource management for busy teams.

4.6/5

Paul
Paul

Resource Guru Gets the Job Done Easily

Reviewed on 13/06/2023

Easy way to keep track of resources for scheduling, planning and project purposes

Pros

Ease of use and simple , effective visualization of scheduled resources

Cons

Needed to integrate with Harvest to get full picture of time actually spent on projects rather than just time scheduled

PJ
  • Industry: Industrial Automation

Clean, easy to use software with lots of room for growth

Reviewed on 25/01/2021

Overall, Resource Guru has been a welcome addition to our operational process. I have thoroughly enjoyed using the software so far and it has certainly made things easier on myself and my team. Although I have a long list of things I think the software can improve on, I hope to work with the development team to open a dialogue on these additions. I know that our application for the software may be unique, but I'm sure the developments will be appreciated by others as well.

Pros

Resource Guru is a very clean-looking software that provides an ease of use unlike I've seen in other products. No training was required to bring my team online with the software, much of it is intuitive. I appreciate the professional look and feel as well as the simplistic interface. Filtering is something that is crucial to our business, and while I love the functionality of it there is definitely room for improvement. Through implementing small workarounds we were able to bring this software online for a team of over 100 field service engineers with very short turnaround (less than three weeks of overlap between the old software and Resource Guru).

Cons

While Resource Guru provides a clean and simple software, at times I find it too simple. There are some features that are built in some places but not others. For example I have the option of custom tags for filtering Resources. I can build out a filter for region, city, desired schedule, skillets, or even favorite food if I want to. However, none of this applies to Projects. I would love to be able to filter projects by region, city, state, or custom tags like skillset and software required. It seems to me that the exact same functionality could be copied and pasted over to Projects.

There are other minor tweaks to be made, like exiting a window. Sometimes I am met with an "are you sure you want to exit" window because I'm currently editing something, but more often than not I am allowed to simply click outside the window or hit escape and all of the editing in progress is lost.

Furthermore, it would be nice to be able to input repeating holidays or events. For example, New Year's Day is always on January 1st. Why do I have to scroll forward and manually input this holiday every year? It would be great to just set it and forget it.

Another addition I would love to see is the ability to mark jobs/projects as tentative or unconfirmed. This could be in the form of a checkbox that adds a gradient to the job so it looks different than the rest. Something simple to differentiate it from confirmed projects is all I'm looking for.

Resource Management

Reasons for Choosing Resource Guru

Resource Guru offers a more professional looking service with the ability for our field engineers to sync their schedule to their own calendar service.

Google Sheets
Ana
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

RESOURCE GURU - ok for small and medium companys and/or not too demanding user

Reviewed on 07/02/2020

We use it for micro and macro managing of our team. For bigger companies such as ours it is not flexible enough. Reasons as listed above.

Pros

I LOVE the sayings from the sitting guru on the upper right side on the dashboard.

Cons

I miss certain features or find them not to be optimal for end user:
- Colouring certain project or client, without influencing dashboards in other offices worldwide, who happen to work on the same project or client (if I want to mark it regionally)
- Search function is not successfully applicable (you dont't get clean results, without clutter)
- Not optimal print option for weekly overview (Guru in the middle, format wrong)
- Copy function only with shift key + draging the selected entry to duplicate it somewhere else
- Reports export to excell is not usable without modifying the excell spread sheet
- Complicated weekend bookings

Response from Resource Guru

Hi Ana

I'm sorry to hear that you've had some difficulties. I wanted to let you know that we have plans to release custom fields for bookings in future, and this should help you to categorise individual bookings without having to use the "Color by" setting.

When you filter resources you will see all bookings which have been made for them, and we are currently working on a dedicated project/client view to make it even easier to focus in on bookings for specific projects/clients.

Resource Guru was designed to be used as an online tool, so we don't have a print feature right now but we do plan to support printing in future.

I can see you discussed the report downloads with our team and I'd recommend you use the XLSX file rather than the CSV file.

When it comes to booking at the weekend, if your resources aren't normally availability you can create an availability exception as shown here https://bit.ly/31H5S6C You can also flag overtime!

Hope this helps :)

Thanks

Emma

What a great tool

Reviewed on 13/02/2024

Pros

It's easy, the training is great and it works!

Cons

You need to have the paid version to get the best but that is the same with most.

Jon

• Customer Support Software

Useful too for transparency across teams

Reviewed on 21/11/2019

Any questions I had were answered clearly and quickly. They are very accommodating and the tool has improved over the last 6 months as well. It has helped us streamline utilization and project assignments.

Pros

I love how easy it is to see a view of availability across multiple team members at the same time. I love the ability to color coordinate projects for an easy view of some major projects across multiple team members. Also easy to allow others permission to log in and see their utilization as well.

Cons

I have to manually enter in recurring meetings. I have not mastered an easy way to automate getting our clients and projects into the tool. would be good to multi select projects as well to get them closed or cleaned up.

Saviom

Reasons for Switching to Resource Guru

Chose Guru for the cost and ease of use and setup.

Response from Resource Guru

Hi Jon

Thanks for sharing your feedback - it's great to see you've given us 5 stars! You said you would like to import projects, and I wanted to let you know you can do this quickly using our Zapier integration, as shown here: https://blog.resourceguruapp.com/importing-projects-into-resource-guru-using-zapier/

I also wanted to mention that bulk editing and non-sequential repeat booking (i.e. a booking that repeats weekly/monthly) is very firmly on our roadmap. In the meantime you can use SHIFT+drag to copy bookings :)

I hope this helps! If there's anything else we can do for you at any point, please just let us know.

Russ
  • Industry: Medical Devices

Awesome Tool for Resource Management

Reviewed on 01/03/2021

We moved from a home-grown Excel sheet to Resource Guru and it has made a HUGE improvement in employee satisfaction, clarity of assignments, and projecting resource constraints and availability.

Pros

Easy to use! Straight-forward user interface.

Cons

I would love to see an easy way to see date/time of when an entry was placed on the schedule and who placed it there. It would be nice to have an "audit" trail of what changed, when, and by whom.

Response from Resource Guru

Hi Russ

Thanks for sharing your feedback :) We don't currently support a timesheets feature, but this is firmly on our roadmap for the future.
In the meantime you might be able to create your own DIY activity log by sending changes in your account to a spreadsheet using Zapier. You can read about using the Zapier integration here https://help.resourceguruapp.com/en/articles/2942116-using-the-resource-guru-zapier-app

I hope this helps, but please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you. I'm always happy to help!

Luke

Highly recommended

Reviewed on 12/04/2023

I have used Resource Guru for almost a decade now and I would be at pains to switch to anything else.

Pros

Easy to use and intuitive functionality. Unlike a lot of other management software, with Resource Guru it's clear and obvious how to use it and it's functionality and features. It's so simple yet usefull that all members of the team can pick it up quickly and use it daily.

Cons

It only really does one function. But it does that function very well instead of spreading itself to thin.

Jira, Slack, monday.com, and Asana

Reasons for Switching to Resource Guru

Easy to use and intuitive functionality. Not a lot of Project Management tools include scheduling functionality, and those that do don't do it as well as Resource Guru.
Tom

• Customer Support Software

Brilliant, intuitive platform with top class customer support

Reviewed on 01/07/2022

It has turned something we used to do slowly and manually into something done in seconds.

Pros

It looks great, the daily update emails are really helpful, it's very easy to use and the reporting is incredibly useful

Cons

I wish there were more features, especially around putting in (and being able to export) a project timeline with milestones. This would mean you could see the duration of a project and its different phases, then see all the resources booked underneath. I would also love a mobile app!

Smartsheet

Reasons for Choosing Resource Guru

Float's pricing structure is ridiculous - there is no help for a small company

Float

Reasons for Switching to Resource Guru

Resource Guru is intuitive and pleasant to use. it's also much easier and makes more sense.

Response from Resource Guru

Hi Tom

Thanks for sharing your feedback! Milestones, project phases and a dedicated mobile app are firm features on our roadmap, so I've made a note to contact you once they get released :)

If there's anything else I can do to help at any point please don't hesitate to reach out!

Simon

• Customer Support Software

Couldn't run the team without it

Reviewed on 24/09/2019

Excellent. All our interactions with the team have been fast and successful. They clearly love the product and the work they do.

Pros

It's fast and intuitive and I am able to see at a glance and report on all of my team's​ assignments and accurately schedule all their time.

Cons

Reporting aspect. Stock reports are good, but would like to be able to drag them into a platform like PowerBI. Potentially via scheduled export to CSV or similar. Would also like some more customisation​ such as more leave types and an option to backup and restore information. Finally, audit tracking - who made what change.

Microsoft Teams and eResource Scheduler

Reasons for Choosing Resource Guru

The tool was only good for scheduling large blocks of time, was slow and cumbersome. This tool is much more dynamic.

Reasons for Switching to Resource Guru

Exact functionality match to requirements. Originally bought for my team​ only, but quickly expanded to the whole department.
Steve
Steve
  • Industry: Financial Services Software

• Customer Support Software

An adequate calendaring tool for resource management

Reviewed on 19/10/2019

We use Resource Guru to manage the utilization/booking of our research facilities. This works well for us as we have a small number of facilities we manage. I cannot offer a recommendation for/against this project for large numbers of resources (>10) as it might be cumbersome at that point. For our limited resource pool, it works well.

Pros

The interface is simple to use and understand with respect to resource availability and conflict. It serves its purpose well.

Cons

New feature rollout is buggy. When I switched between the "beta" ("new") experience back to the classic, I received a nagging email from the company telling me I had recently logged in using the "classic" experience and it would eventually be discontinued, and that I should try out the "new" experience. This product is basically a shared calendar, and while it offers reporting that is a hybrid somewhere between Microsoft Outlook and Project, it's a bit too pushy with respect to new features.

Response from Resource Guru

Hi Steve

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on Resource Guru! I'm sorry that you felt our message regarding the new schedule was a bit pushy or potentially buggy. We needed to share this message because the old schedule will shortly be retired, and we didn't want people to be taken by surprise by that. As long as you click the cross to close the message, it won't reappear for you.

I also wanted to take the opportunity to reassure you about the new schedule. It's a vast improvement on the old one - it's been completely rebuilt from the ground up to provide lightning fast scheduling, infinite scrolling, lots of enhancements including elastic overtime, and it's just as stable for incredibly large teams as it is for very small ones.

I hope this helps, but if you have any other feedback or questions we'd love to hear from you!

Ross
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Daily Resource Guru user

Reviewed on 28/01/2021

As mentioned above, the web based ease of use and reporting functionality make Resource Guru a trusted tool for maintaining and tracking our resource based projects. Highly recommend!

Pros

My company chose Resource Guru because of the web based interface. We've stayed for the ease of use and robust reporting functionality. We are able to extract daily, monthly, and yearly (or custom) reports and easily create Excel pivot tables for internal analyzing. This feature alone is extremely beneficial to our company.

Cons

No dark theme. It's only a minor thing but would really like to see the quality of life feature added to future versions.

Reshma
  • Industry: Public Relations & Communications

SM user

Reviewed on 30/09/2019

As mentioned I have implement RG to both my previous and current working places. Its easy and simple, no complications, not clumpy.
I use RG on a daily basis to book my whole team's daily tasks.

Pros

Easy to use, simple for all team members. Looks visibly pleasing.
I have implemented Resource Guru to my previous and current working places.
Very good value for money.

Cons

Needs to have an action for users to click once they have completed the task. I have been waiting for this for a few years now.
Still not very mobile friendly.

monday.com

Reasons for Switching to Resource Guru

It was more beneficial for my team and how we work daily.
Stephanie
  • Industry: Construction Software

Game Changer

Reviewed on 12/01/2022

Pros

The ability to schedule out months at a time. Small projects do not get lost in the shuffle of construction projects that go on months at a time where we are constantly pulling on and off of. It is so easy to use and customize. Field staff caught on intuitively and almost immediately.

Cons

I cant think of anything I don't love about RG. I do not use many of the advanced features because we have project management software that gives us reporting.

Calendly and Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Resource Guru

It seems easiest and most intuitively laid out.
Nancy

Resource Guru Review

Reviewed on 17/07/2019

Everyone has access to the schedule so each developer or designer not only knows what they're supposed to be working on, but what others are working on. We can schedule months into the future which helps us as we have projects that last months, not weeks.

Pros

It's easy to use. Everyone can see what's on the schedule or what they are supposed to be working on. I can see how long a project is in our production queue to ascertain when we'll be finished. I can schedule vacations so others know which resources are available on which date.

Cons

The times are sometimes not correct. It seems to think a work day is twelve hours long, instead of eight. It's hard to schedule several projects in the same day. It's easiest to assign a project for the whole day.

Response from Resource Guru

Hi Nancy - thanks for your review. I just wanted to question a couple of things you wrote in the Cons section. You said the times are sometimes not correct - I'd love it if you can send us an example so we can troubleshoot it for you - we are not aware of this happening to any of our customers.

You also said, "It seems to think a work day is twelve hours long". I'm not sure where you see this info - it would be good to assist you further with this. By default a day is 8h long, but Normal Availability is totally customisable at a resource level - this is actually a feature we have that other products we've reviewed don't.

Finally you said, "It's hard to schedule several projects in the same day". Again, this is a limitation we found in other products which is why we made it easy to create as many bookings as you liked in a day - to a very granular level eg for as little as 1 minute.

Would love to hear from you ..

Best, Percy

Emma
  • Industry: Design

• Customer Support Software

Amazing software that's incredibly useful for our Studio team

Reviewed on 24/01/2022

We as a team absloutely love using RG, we use it on a daily basis and it really has transformed the way in which we work as a team, making us more collaborative and organised.

Pros

Can't believe how cheap this software is and all the built in capabilities! It's great, we are a team of 7 and this has helped us with our project management bookings.

You can clearly see what work is booked in over the weeks/months and allows you easily to move stuff round.

Cons

I would like there to be an option to have specific colours per clients. It would also be good if it retained hours per project. For example we have big animation projects in that are broken down into sketches, moodboard, animation etc and would be good to have some sort of log if the time gets moved.

Response from Resource Guru

Hi Emma

Thanks for sharing your feedback when you responded to the survey we recently sent you :) Customisation of the colour palette is firmly on our roadmap, but in the meantime if you have any programming capabilities at your end you can use our API to add custom colours. You can assign your own custom colours via API right now if you'd prefer. You can find all of the API documentation via our Developer Center here https://app.resourceguruapp.com/developers/apps

Also task dependencies are firmly on our roadmap for the future, I'm afraid I can't give you an accurate release date for this just yet; but I'll be sure to keep you updated as soon as there is any news on it.

Spencer
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

• Customer Support Software

Great scheduling app for teams

Reviewed on 24/02/2020

We have a team of 15+ individuals who all have different work/ vacation schedules, commitment levels, and weekly to daily workloads. We use ResourceGuru to organize all of this information into a simple, clean format that is easy to read and quick to update. The main component that we use every week is tracking team member's availability to take on more work (or if they're overloaded and need help). We accomplish this by using the "clients" toggle field, which we set up with levels of availability (Available, Partly Busy, Mostly Busy, and Fully Booked) with colors associated with them (green to red). That way, in one glance, we can see who needs work, and who has too much and could use some help. It's a bit of a work-around, but RG is by far the best platform we've found to accomplish this simple task.

Pros

The user interface is very intuitive and it is easy to scroll through the entire team's schedule for the week.

Cons

The cost is considerable, but if your team needs something beyond Outlook calendar to view everyone's schedules in one place, it's a great option for that. I wish there was more compatibility between our Outlook calendars and RG though. Often it feels like we need to have duplicate information in both places.

Response from Resource Guru

Hi Spencer

Thanks for sharing your review of Resource Guru! I wanted to check in to make sure you knew about the availability bars? It sounds like you're using a workaround to highlight when people are available, but the availability bars will give you excellent visibility of when each of your resources has availability, right there on the schedule. You can learn about using them here: https://help.resourceguruapp.com/en/articles/2942098-using-the-availability-bar

I hope this helps! If you have any questions at any point please don't be a stranger - we're always very keen to help.

George

Resource Guru Overall Review

Reviewed on 12/07/2021

Overall a great app. Has certainly improved my time management abover all else. This app really enables me to keep on track of my workload and stay organised in the fast paced agency. Very useful indeed and couldnt work without it.

Pros

As an account executive for a design agency, being able to shcedule resource is a key part of my daily activites. RG is super easy to navigate and makes scheduling my work really efficient. I use it every day and it makes my work management a whole lot easier. An email first thing in the morning shows what I have scheduled for the day so I can be prepared for the days bookings. The dashboard also enables me to see what Ive got in for the day which is great. I can easily cancel, edit and add new bookings with just a couple of clicks. Using the different colour schemes also enables me to see who on my team has bookings so if i ever need to edit a booking, I kow who to speak too on my team. Overall, I would highly recommend this app too anyone as its super intuitive and no training is really needed! Perfect for anyone in client services.

Cons

Nothing to improve from my point of view. I havent used all the features off the app so no comments on ways to improve.

Paula
  • Industry: Environmental Services

• Customer Support Software

Provides Great Resource Management!

Reviewed on 20/09/2019

With many staff members doing field work, Resource Guru helps greatly with schedule planning and tracking where staff are at any given time.

Pros

This software is easy to learn and use. We can see the availability of resources at a glance, and it's simple to make any edits to current entries as needed. The option to add personal photos for resources is fun to use and adds a bit of personalization to each resource.

Cons

When choosing a date to enter information, we need to scroll over the calendar instead of clicking, because clicking on dates will automatically trigger a window for entering new information.

Adile

Resource scheduling never easier

Reviewed on 09/12/2019

It has make resourcing scheduling so much easier. Staff knows what they are supposed to be working on and managers can plan properly resources and understand conflicts or overtime required to complete projects on time.

Pros

It is a very easy tool to schedule resources. you can extend tasks across weeks, split tasks, duplicate tasks across different team members. It is visual and easy to use. It allow us to understand who is working on what projects.
You can customise and filter resources by teams and you have a reporting tool where you can see by week how is your resource utilisation.

Cons

the Zoom -+ button will only show present week or next 6 weeks. It would be good if you can select how many weeks you want to see, between 1-6 weeks to visualise on the Schedule tab.
sometimes when adding many tasks on a day for one resource, you create overtime unnecessarily it would be good to have a button/option to distribute same amount of time to all the tasks for a day, taking the amount of hours the resource works a day.
Reporting- when reporting who is working on what project, it would be useful to have the percentages of time spent on each project.

Float

value for money
Simon

Easy-to-use, convenient scheduling software

Reviewed on 20/10/2021

We schedule all our daily tasks with Resource Guru.

We schedule all our daily tasks with Resource Guru.

Pros

+ flexible scheduling features
+ clear and easily readable UI

Cons

- if a day has 8h30m available, and 8h15m are scheduled, and another task is added with a 30m length, it shows up as "30m on waiting list and 15m free" - in my opinion, it would make more sense to show up as "15m on waiting list and 0m free"

Response from Resource Guru

Hi Simon

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us :) When it comes to Overtime or Waiting list bookings, it isn't possible to have bookings partially on the waiting list as it would also be hard to display it on the Schedule. But in the meantime, you can add elastic overtime if needed, and drag the slider for overtime to 0 if the time should not be marked as overtime, but needs to extend availability. You can find more details in our help centre article here: https://help.resourceguruapp.com/en/articles/2942105-elastic-overtime

I hope this helps to clarify things for you, but please let me know if you have any further questions and I'll be more than happy to help.

Brent

Maintaining High Resource Utilization through Coordination and Resource Guru

Reviewed on 23/09/2019

Overall Resource Guru has significantly contributed to our ability to schedule, review and plan our resources. We have increased our overall utilization of resources by using this product.

Pros

We like the ability to visualize our employee utilization on a company-wide basis while being able to generate other utilization views by department and resource type. This helps us determine any utilization gaps and plan for cross utilization to ensure overall high utilization of our resources.

Cons

I would like to see a few more customization features for how the system currently treats over-bookings. We would like to be able to over-book resources and it show their utilization at 100%+ rather than it showing the conflict and a lower utilization until the over-allocation is corrected.

mimi
  • Industry: Media Production

usage of GURU

Reviewed on 29/03/2022

I do find it easy to use, very intuitive and clear interfaces. I do do the inductions of new 'Client managers' on how to view their requested resources and everybody likes it

Pros

The simplicity of the usage and interface

Cons

I could not edit information of members of the team once they are listed.

Response from Resource Guru

Hi Mimi

Thanks for sharing your feedback! Once your team activate their account, their photo comes under their control (along with their name and email address). Resource Guru was designed so that each person invited into the app has control over their own details and can keep their own details up to date. This helps to prevent one person from being burdened with keeping everything up to date. So, the best thing to do is to ask your team to update their own photos themselves.

If you have any resources that have been added to your account without being invited (or who have yet to activate their invite) then you should still be able to upload photos for them.

Please let me know if there's anything else we can do to help :)

Eric
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Great Tool

Reviewed on 12/01/2021

it have been very positive. I implemented this across or company to get some visibility on our resource allocation. it have worked well and is not very expensive.

Pros

very easy to use and the calander view is great give me a sense of what is going on 2, 3, 4 weeks out.

Cons

would like to have a feature that allows the employee to be able to mark a task or a project complete, which would than send a notification back to me or the PM that they are available to do additional works.

Float and monday.com

Reasons for Switching to Resource Guru

functionality, easy of use than the price.
Nikki

• Customer Support Software

A great way of organising your day

Reviewed on 15/01/2018

Pros

That you can easily move jobs around if they need to change and can book off holiday time and meeting time so that you don't overbook yourself.

Cons

The waiting time bit could be better if time is overbooked - doesn't allow for different lengths of working days.

Response from Resource Guru

Hi Nikki,

Thanks for sharing your review of Resource Guru! I wanted to let you know that you can most definitely customise the availability of each of your resources on a daily basis - not every day has to have the same availability.

You can set resources normal availability (which is the availability which repeats on a weekly basis) and you can also create availability exceptions if you need to make a temporary change to someone's normal availability.

You might find this article on resource availability useful https://help.resourceguruapp.com/customer/portal/articles/2162590

I hope this helps, but please get in touch if you have any questions. We're always happy to help!

Sudip
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Resource Guru: An Easy-to-Use Resource Management Tool

Reviewed on 02/03/2023

Overall, my experience with Resource Guru was positive. The software was easy to use, intuitive, and provided me with a powerful suite of tools to help me manage my team's resources.

Pros

I liked the fact that Resource Guru was incredibly easy to use and allowed me to quickly and intuitively manage my team's resources. The software also allowed me to easily customize the way I view and organize resource data, which was very useful for staying organized.

Cons

One thing I disliked about Resource Guru was that it had a limited selection of integrations. This made it difficult for me to connect the software to other applications I used for project management. Additionally, there were some features that I had to pay extra for, which I felt was not ideal.