Float

4.5 (1,590)
Resource planning for agencies, studios and firms.

(1,590)

Kavindu Githsara
Kavindu Githsara

Keep Your Business Afloat

Reviewed on 19/02/2023

Overall, I would recommend Float as a useful tool for managing cash flow and making financial decisions. Its intuitive interface, powerful scenario feature, and the ability to link to existing accounting software make it a helpful addition to any business’s financial toolkit. However, the cost may be a barrier for some businesses, so it’s important to carefully evaluate the pricing plans before committing to the software.

Pros

Float is a cloud-based cash flow forecasting and management software designed for small and medium-sized businesses. As a user of Float, I find the software to be a helpful tool for managing cash flow and making financial decisions. One of the primary benefits of using Float is the ability to visualize future cash flow, which is useful for planning and forecasting. One of the key advantages of Float is its intuitive interface, which makes it easy to use and navigate. The software allows you to link to your existing accounting software, which means that data can be automatically imported into Float. This saves a lot of time and reduces the chance of errors, which is particularly important when dealing with financial data. Another benefit of Float is the ability to create multiple scenarios, which can be used to model different financial outcomes.

Cons

One of the potential downsides of using Float is that the software can be expensive, particularly for small businesses. The pricing plans are based on the number of cash flow forecasts that you need to create, and this can add up quickly.

Mohammad
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

Float is your management tool for a good business.

Reviewed on 03/03/2023

Monthly cost is very low, services are great, support is wonderful, interface is a wow.

Pros

Sync. of Float with other calendars such as Outlook and google makes life easier to work. All the reminders sent are great.

Cons

Could not find anything wrong with this software.

monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Float

Found more options in Float, it exactly has what our company needs.

ZenHR

Reasons for Switching to Float

After analyzing how it works we found that it does not contain all the features we are looking for.
Paul

Float for time management

Reviewed on 17/01/2019

Problematic - not 100% sure this is floats problem, as it seems designed for the restaurant/service industry, and we are more a agency/service business.

Pros

I like the fact you can filter and search by people and/or project

Cons

I don't like that you cannot see 3months in advance on 1 screen. It's still laggy when scrolling, we have 70 people timesheeted and we have project managers filling this in, they find it cumbersome. The repeating tasks are not well formed, as in if you set a repeating weekly task then want to edit one week to be say 3 days, it won't let you do it.
We have other awkward things around adding contractors or people leaving jobs, it would be nice if Float had more sample data as I think sometimes we uncover usecases they haven't tested for - atleast tested the UX for.
I'd love it to improve, as the last speed improvement they did was a step in the right direction, but more customisation is needed.

Marta

• Customer Support Software

Imaging floating through production or traffic management meetings!

Reviewed on 21/03/2023

We have been using it for almost 2 years, overall we are happy although it took a bit to get the hang of things. The customer service was super nice and helpful the couple of times I have reachedout.We have tried the time recording module a few months back but the price was too much for us at that time.

Pros

That once you get the hang of it is great tool for my team (about 40 team members). The big board gives great overview and the filters work like charm! As long as you have set them up correctly. This took a bit to click through all the team members but once done it make traffic management SO much easier!

Cons

Lack of multiple currencies, very cumbersome managment of retainer projects (those that need to be repeated month by month). Phases don't really work for me as it's too much maintenance and it's not the easiest to do

Resource Guru, monday.com, and Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Float

Interface, price, personal preferance that's difficult to pinpoint at the moment.
Tomasz

• Customer Support Software

Resource planning in big picture

Reviewed on 09/09/2019

Float is great tool that helps us in three ways:

1. Planning resources in the near future - thanks...

Float is great tool that helps us in three ways:

1. Planning resources in the near future - thanks to this we can easily know what specialist and when will have free time for some short maintenance or start new project.

2. Planning time off office days

3. Get statistics about how much time was spend in which project in wide perspective and quickly check who and when was working on what milestone off the project for client reports.

Pros

How easy it is. To book resource or edit time range you only need a few clicks or drag and drop.

Cons

It will be nice to get notifications about not booked time of some resource and small tool for moving all booked resources for a given project in time.

Kantata and Harvest

Reasons for Choosing Float

Paymo was slow and has bad mobile app

Paymo

Reasons for Switching to Float

Nice UI, easy to set up, fast to add and modify
Ben

• Customer Support Software

Simple and powerful resource management tool to manage team workload

Reviewed on 05/08/2020

We really love Float and it’s been a game changer in effectively managing our resources across projects. We now have a clear view on our resource pipeline and it’s allowed project managers to better utilise team based on availability and make more informed hiring decisions.

Pros

Easy to setup and use without any training required. Clean interface that makes it easy to view and update resources assigned to projects. Love the ability to easily drag to extend duration of tasks assigned.

Cons

Would be great if there was a better integration with our timesheet tool (Xero) to populate timesheets automatically based on plan in Float.

Response from Float

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your review! I've passed your Xero integration request to our team.

I also wanted to let you know that we do have a time tracking add-on in Float that pre-fills your team's timesheets based on the work schedule. You can find out how it works here, https://www.float.com/how-it-works/time-tracking.

All Float users can try time tracking free for 30 days. The Account Owner needs to activate this from the Team Settings in Float.

If you want a demo of how it works, or have any questions, please feel free to email us at [email protected].

Thanks again for the review!

Cheers,
Siobhan

Lewis
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

• Customer Support Software

You might manage without it, but you really shouldn't

Reviewed on 17/06/2022

Good, really helps to smooth things out by communicating the schedule to everyone concerned, easy to learn and use, support is fast and friendly.

Pros

Zapier integration, user interface/layout, ability for others to view the schedule without being a billed user, flexibility, detailed reporting function, contstant improvements and updates.

Cons

I'd like to have employee birthdays displayed on the schedule somehow, other calendars use suitable icons e.g. cake with candles. There's really nothing else important I'd ask for.

Toggl Plan

Reasons for Switching to Float

Better layout and interface, does it's job of resource management very well without becoming a bloated jack of all trades master of none, easy to use, per user pricing was acceptable.

Response from Float

Thanks for your review, Lewis! Great to hear that Float is keeping everyone in your team in the loop.

Stephen

Reviewed on 06/02/2020

I have a team spread around the globe and this really highlights what work and projects are being carried out by the team and provides a good forecast of where resource shortfalls are.

Pros

The software is easy to use and has many features that support resource planning in flexible ways.

Cons

There could be some work on the global settings where we can convert from a local currency (i.e. Euros, Pounds, Aussie dollars) into a default currency to see how projects compare with each other when normalised.

Planview Portfolios, Trello, and monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Float

More flexible, more features and somehow cheaper

Reasons for Switching to Float

They solved the issue I was struggling with which is a team view and resource capacity planning. The other products were either to complex or did not have the features I desired.

• Customer Support Software

Great for a high level, resource management tool.

Reviewed on 02/09/2020

Pros

Its a user friendly tool that makes resource management and managing a team of 40 with varying skillsets, availability, and calendars feasible.

Cons

It is not customizable, few api integrations that have worked, no development hope even when communicating with brand reps. You almost are forced to use it as is, off the shelf, or not at all.

Reasons for Switching to Float

Cheaper, visually appealing, you can stack by department, skill set, tag, etc. in ways other tools cannot.
Amanda
Amanda

One of the better project management tools out there

Reviewed on 05/09/2019

Pros

I like that you can split bookings and set different hours on different dates, rather than blanket booking a full resource.

Cons

I dislike that you must click more than 2 times to add a new project. It's an extra step that I find a bit more cumbersome than other project tools.

Rawiri

How Float works for us

Reviewed on 18/08/2020

After using the Trial, we found the best way to apply it to our business and implemented quickly for Live usage. We have been using Float daily since and it has been successful in providing a complete overview of staff workload and availability. It provides clarity for future scheduling.

Pros

* Provides an overview of scheduled work and staff availability for forecasting and scheduling
* Ability to assign consultants to specific projects, while also assigning individual tasks.
* Minimal duplication of work as the system maintains the lifetime of the projects
* Ability to link to Jira tasks
* Easy to schedule timeframes
* Can view based on teams or individuals

Cons

Not a lot we didn't like, but it would be great to have;
* Task breakdowns
* Two way Jira linking (Currently only from Jira)
* Pull more data from Jira (Timeframes etc)

Todoist and Trello

Reasons for Choosing Float

It didn't provide an overview of staff availability for forecasting purposes

Reasons for Switching to Float

It covered some of the basic features of Asana but providing an overview of staff available and scheduled work, which was a higher priority for us.
Marco

Great software for planning but missing some features.

Reviewed on 12/02/2020

Overall I am very satisfied with Float, as it allowed me to save a lot of time in my planning activity and provided the company with a tool that everyone can use.

Pros

I really like the possibility of having a global view of the activities and the possibility of having a fast (very fast) synchronization with the Outlook calendar. Furthermore, it is really useful to assign different roles to people in order to define planning permissions.

Cons

I am not crazy about the graphic style of the calendar / schedule view. Hiding over the weekend it is difficult to see at a glance the separation between the various weeks. Also there is no translation of the portal in Italian, not a serious deficiency, but if there were it would be better :)

It also lacks the ability to view your schedule in a daily agenda format in order to have a more precise schedule of your commitments, as you can do through outlook.

Toggl Plan and Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Float

We chose float among all the other software seen because it provided a better user / price ratio than others in relation to the size of the company. The choice was also made because it provided all the necessary functions of division into teams, projects and tasks that were necessary for our team.
Ky
  • Industry: Design

Best Visual Project Management Tool I've Found

Reviewed on 13/08/2020

It has allowed us to essentially self-manage projects without having to have a dedicated PM on staff.

Pros

We love the ease of use of Float to visualize our team's schedule. It allows us to quickly see how our people are resourced and make adjustments on the fly with the draggable task blocks. It was extremely easy to set-up and implement with our team and projects–no tutorial or laborious how-to required!

Cons

We use the basic features for an easy workflow overview so it covers all the features we would need.

Asana

Reasons for Switching to Float

Price, ease of use and set-up, simplicity and visually-focused interface
Sam

Great for balancing our resources

Reviewed on 14/08/2020

I think Float is having a real positive impact on our project management team and is becoming more the useful the more we use it.

Pros

As both a user and administrator of Float at our company I'd say my favourite feature is the UI design of Float. It looks great and I never have to to look hard to find the information I need - it's all very intuitive.

I also love the daily email digests that come through. Way better than any 'to do' software I have tried in the past.

The reports visualisation is fantastic too, and is something I'm only just discovering.

Cons

I'd love to use time logging / timesheets but cannot for the life of me figure this part out!

Jira, Paymo, and Basecamp

Reasons for Switching to Float

Float was more focussed on resource management and the user interface was top notch.

Response from Float

Hi Sam,

Thanks so much for your review! The Account Owner can activate time tracking on your account, including a 30 day free trial for first time users.

Your team's timesheets will be pre-filled base don your scheduled work hours in Float!

If you'd like to set up a demo or find out more information, please email us at [email protected] and we'd be happy to help!

Cheers,
Siobhan

Brad

Float review for Audio Visual Studio

Reviewed on 17/01/2019

With using Float we have been able to have one central, accessible platform for the team to schedule tasks and projects and to assign them to the relevant individuals, sometimes weeks ahead of the deadlines. This has improved the teams overall planning of jobs and has allowed us to see what we can take on, what we need to reschedule and at times when we have to call in additional help to meet the deadlines. Float is quite easy to use and is improving all the time with new features. For us as an audio and design studio it has become an essential tool in our day to day operations that has benefited our overall productivity.

Pros

As a busy audio and visuals studio the biggest advantage we have seen with using Float is the scheduling feature. This allows us to schedule when projects and tasks need to take place, and who is working on and responsible for each project and task. As we have a number of people on our team and often numerous projects on the go at one time, Float has allowed us to better coordinate everything and has become vital in ensuring that projects and tasks are completed on time by each individual team member. As a team we can view the overall workload and time frames involved, while as an individual you can keep track of what tasks or projects you are working on and what projects you can or can not take on due to scheduling.

Cons

Sometimes the administrator /account owner has certain scheduling permissions and can add projects for individual team members int he scheduling feature. This is great but when these scheduled tasks or projects need to be changed or reshuffled it can only be done by the admin person / account owner and not the individual. There have been times when the admin person has not been available and I have needed to change the scheduled projects created by the admin person but have not been able to and have had to wait for the admin person to do it. This is the only downside so far that I have experienced using Float.

Great Visual Tool for Resource Management

Reviewed on 01/08/2019

We've been able to better project planning times for business needs coming in. When we know how long something takes via Float, we're able to give clearer milestones to our clients and we can manage our internal deadlines better. When you're able to take a quick peak at Float and see what someone is working on for the next few days, it's a more efficient way to manage resourcing expectations internally and across business units internally.

Pros

With Float, I love that you can make instant decisions on capacity management. I can assign someone a scheduled task and easily move the task back and forth between two team members if needed. It's a great visual tool to see how long people are spending in a certain area and to help plan ahead for the future. It gives a full visual picture of capacity and resource management, which can be hard to do. I love that you're able to assign color coding and different notes to each project, so you can monitor the health of the project properly and understand how many people are actually touching it.

Cons

Sometimes, there are some small glitches that happen, where you make an update and it either disappears or adds additional time to someone's schedule (making them fully at capacity). There aren't many cons to this application other than that because sometimes it can just take a lot of refreshing and some rework because sometimes the refreshes can cause a loss in information inputted.

Shriya
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Great for

Reviewed on 31/08/2023

Pros

How visual and easy it makes talent scheduling for our client services business! It's really intuitive in terms of its UX/UI and means that the information is shareable and understandable by everyone. It's actually created positive reliance for the business where it's become the single source of truth about who is working on which project/ away on hols and for how long, so that teams can effectively plan the best use of people. Especially as we work on multiple projects under the same client account, the tags are super useful as while we might be working for Client X, project A and project C might have completely different briefs and people scheduled on them to complete.

Cons

Probably some of the toggling features when you try to filter people across multiple departments.. It's not a massive issue, but one I am struggling to nail.

Klara
  • Industry: Public Relations & Communications
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Makes capacity juggling so much easier

Reviewed on 22/08/2023

Pros

The tool has a simple overview, visually similar to already known calendars. This means that you don't need any time to familiarize yourself with it. Just click and add entries.If you work with many different customers, you can create them once and then easily add individual projects within these customer folders.I especially like the fact that I can tell my clients apart right at first glance using the Color Coding feature. But when I need more information, I can also click on the entries and have access to the job number, the available budget, and any other information that might be available.Thanks Float - you make my daily work so much easier :-)

Cons

What could be improved:Currently, when I enter vacation, my projects in the same time frame just disappear from the schedule. This is quite inconvenient and should be fixed. It would be more practical to at least be warned and transfer the projects individually to someone else from the team, or be able to specify vacation substitutions so that the projects are automatically transferred.Also, it would be great if you could duplicate blockers via copy & paste. The split tool is often a bit impractical to use.

Suhas

best project planning and resource management software

Reviewed on 22/08/2023

Float takes care of all of my project management and resource management needs. It is the one place i can go to to keep an eye on the projects that my team is working on, and to see what the next 6-8 weeks looks like for my team and assign work/projects accordingly.

Pros

I work in consulting and manage a team of 6 consultants. I find Float really useful to be able to manage scheduling for my team as well as forward plan based on upcoming work and team availability. I also work with a wider team and need to be across what other projects are happening and where my wider team might have upcoming availability that I might be able to use for my upcoming projects. I can use tags to be able to filter based on my preference, i find this feature extremely helpful.

Cons

I can't really think of any. It works as it should for my needs. It has an intuitive user interface and super easy to use.

Aaron
  • Industry: Animation Software

• Customer Support Software

Empowering Efficiency: A Scheduling Product that Masterfully Handles Prioritization

Reviewed on 24/08/2023

Pros

What sets this project management software apart is its exceptional user interface. Navigating through tasks, timelines, and reports feels intuitive and user-friendly. The visual representation of project timelines and progress is a standout feature, making it easy to grasp project status at a glance. This visual clarity has significantly enhanced our project planning and decision-making processes. With this software, complexity is simplified, and managing even intricate projects becomes a breez

Cons

In my experience with Float, the aspect that has the most potential for growth is the mobile app. While functional, it could benefit from more robust features and smoother navigation. Real-time updates and more comprehensive task management capabilities on the mobile platform would greatly enhance the product's utility for users on the go. Despite this, Float's desktop version remains a reliable tool for managing schedules and projects effectively.

Kester
  • Industry: Media Production

• Customer Support Software

Easy to use and efficient time management tool

Reviewed on 16/06/2022

My overall experience with float has been extremely positive. Compared to similar products we've used in the past this is the easiest to use, and we have fewer problems than with other software.

Pros

Integration with our business was very straightforward, and there are very few problems that arise when using float on the daily. The schedule updates immediately and its very easy to keep track of an entire teams workload at a glance.

Cons

Sometimes I have issues adding in new tasks to the system, but this is quite rare.

Response from Float

Thanks for your review, Kester! Glad Float was easy to set up for your business and that it's easy to keep track of your team's workload at a glance!

Ruth
Ruth
  • Industry: Machinery

• Customer Support Software

Achieve an equitable and sustainable resource management with Float.

Reviewed on 30/10/2023

Float enlightened us on how to have better planning and resources allocations. It allows us to first understand what is available to use and with such information, it becomes easy to plan our work based on what we have and what we are capable of. It allows us to institute responsibility among ourselves since it easy to know who is allocated to which job.

Pros

Float excellent resources management features helps us to bring together everyone and everything in the organization under one central point and this allows us to plan our projects effectively and allocate duties based on ones capabilities. It has useful dashboards which keeps us updated on the project time and budget expenditure in real time.

Cons

Working with Float has always been simple for me and i have no dislikes.

michelle
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Float Review

Reviewed on 14/06/2022

great for scheduling. pretty happy with everything

great for scheduling. pretty happy with everything

Pros

I like the range of colors we are able to use. easy to adjust timing per day and see total time for each project

Cons

I wish there was a way for my team members to see everyone elses schedule. I can see the full team, but each individual can only see their own.

Response from Float

Thanks for your review, Michelle! Great that Float is helping you schedule your team's time.
A note about who can see and edit other Members' schedules -- your Float Admin can adjust access rights to allow for this. More info here: https://support.float.com/en/articles/5215287-access-rights
Hope this helps!

Abbey
  • Industry: Construction Software

Easy to use for work complete & future tasks

Reviewed on 28/08/2023

Generally a very good experience with float and it meets all my needs as an individual employee. Only note is that its hard to export specific information for myself, as noted in the Cons section of this review

Pros

Scheduling is easy for both myself and others. My office operates of a flexible hybrid schedule so its great that I can also indicate what days I will be in the office.

Cons

With the introduction of hybrid work after covid, I use float to indicate what days I am in the office using the status feature that already exists. For tax purposes, It would be very useful if I as an individual employee could export the days and hours each day that I worked from home for the past year.

Fatima

Float

Reviewed on 30/08/2023

Very user friendly and easy to use.

Very user friendly and easy to use.

Pros

I love that it is user friendly and easy to use. We are a service based business and it is therefore imperative that we are able to track time spent on each project effectively and accurately.

Cons

I would recommend that they enable the downloading of reports into excel.