Showing 1,062 reviews of 1,019

Float

Resource planning for agencies, studios and firms.

4.5 /5 (1019 reviews) Write a Review!

Showing 1,062 reviews of 1,019
Ben K.

Simple and powerful resource management tool to manage team workload

Reviewed on 05/08/2020

We really love Float and it’s been a game changer in effectively managing our resources across projects. We now have a clear view on our resource pipeline and it’s allowed project managers to better utilise team based on availability and make more informed hiring decisions.

Pros

Easy to setup and use without any training required. Clean interface that makes it easy to view and update resources assigned to projects. Love the ability to easily drag to extend duration of tasks assigned.

Cons

Would be great if there was a better integration with our timesheet tool (Xero) to populate timesheets automatically based on plan in Float.

Response from Float

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your review! I've passed your Xero integration request to our team.

I also wanted to let you know that we do have a time tracking add-on in Float that pre-fills your team's timesheets based on the work schedule. You can find out how it works here, https://www.float.com/how-it-works/time-tracking.

All Float users can try time tracking free for 30 days. The Account Owner needs to activate this from the Team Settings in Float.

If you want a demo of how it works, or have any questions, please feel free to email us at [email protected]

Thanks again for the review!

• Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Great tool for roadmapping personal/team schedules

Reviewed on 17/08/2020

It has definitely been a step in the right direction for our business using float and has a better visual to some alternatives such as monday.com.

Pros

It is easy to see what myself and my colleagues have got scheduled to help make sure that resources are managed effectively.

Cons

There is not much integration with other applications that we use which means at the moment it is a stand alone product that we use in our business. If there was more integration then we would be able to utilise the functionality more effectively.

Response from Float

Hi,

Thanks for your review! You can check out Floats direct integrations, including a Slack notification app, on our website here, https://www.float.com/integrations.

We welcome hearing any other integration requests you have. Please email [email protected]

Merle D.

Integral part of our internal production process

Reviewed on 13/08/2020

Float has honestly been a game changer for our studio and as a result, the wider business. The minute we first started using the platform, it transformed the way we visualise our busy schedules and communicated with the wider teams about our availability and timelines. It's made our lives easier and simplified the overall production process - taking a lot of guesswork and confusion out of the equation.

Pros

The simplicity and immediacy of the timeline interface is massively important for digesting and understanding an often hectic and clogged schedule. Customisation of clients, projects and tasks means that we can see, at a glance, exactly what clients and projects we are working with - it takes a lot of the project management stress out of the process for teams like mine, who need to focus on their own tasks at hand.

Cons

I think there could be more options to input information within the tasks in a schedule - although there is a notes section, it would be great to see more integration with other platforms like the Google suite (Drive, slides, docs) that could streamline our process even more.

Joseph B.
  • Industry: Environmental Services
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Intuitive and helpful software, let down by occasional performance issues

Reviewed on 09/09/2019

Although I list here several cons, I think these are far outweighed by the practical benefits of using the product, and certainly don’t dampen the experience too much. My experience so far with Float has been one of trying to make it reflect reality, and encourage adoption within our organisation. I think the real advantage of using it will be one project managers are widely aware of its benefits, and proactively use it to resource projects and keep abreast of changes in the availability of our team.

Pros

Float is an incredibly intuitive piece of software to use, with a simple calendar-like interface that everyone can understand. I have found that this aspect of the software is helpful in promoting its adoption within our teams. The experience is consistent across the product, which has allowed me to discover more and more features in and enrich the experience of using the product.

Cons

The performance of the software is occasionally a bit lacklustre. For example, I often find myself accidentally clicking somewhere on the screen which prompts a dialogue box to open to enter a new task. This problem is especially pronounced when using a trackpad, and isn’t something that I experience elsewhere. Additionally, the interface seems to have a strange way of ‘splitting’ tasks that occur across multiple days. I have found that it often leaves blank gaps that give the illusion that a team member is working more hours per day than they actually are.

There are a few features that I would like to see when going forward. Firstly, I think it would be good if there were different options when ‘resizing’ a task. Currently, the task can be resized independently across both axes (i.e. how many hours per day, and across how many days). I think it would be good if there were an option for these to affect each other – i.e. the total number of hours allocated to the project remains the same and could be allocated fewer hours across more days, or more hours across fewer days.

Program Manager using Float

Reviewed on 11/02/2019

We are using Float in our organization to manage resource allocation and we have been using it for the last 3 years. It has been mostly great and enhanced our resource allocation amazingly and provided great visibility into resourcing across different programs and into the future. We use Float to track Holidays and vacation across all regions (worldwide), we use it to forecast allocation and revenue across the team per each project. Permissions are straightforward and allow us to control what we want. We can keep projects as tentative while awaiting for the contract and still allocate people to provide visibility into anticipated resourcing load. Overall Float has been great for us and I would recommend it to any organization providing services and focused around resourcing their team. Float has been constantly evolving and you can notice the difference and improvements rolled out weekly if not daily. Thank you for your work Float team!

Pros

- Easy of use
- Performance
- Interface
- Good visibility into my resources and their load

Cons

- There were couple glitches and numerous updates in January but that is resolved now
- Previously performance was not great, but there are great improvements recently on that part
- Adding holidays could be easier
- When grouped by project I'd like Float to show all assigned project for people, not only specified project

Sam C.

Great for balancing our resources

Reviewed on 14/08/2020

I think Float is having a real positive impact on our project management team and is becoming more the useful the more we use it.

Pros

As both a user and administrator of Float at our company I'd say my favourite feature is the UI design of Float. It looks great and I never have to to look hard to find the information I need - it's all very intuitive.

I also love the daily email digests that come through. Way better than any 'to do' software I have tried in the past.

The reports visualisation is fantastic too, and is something I'm only just discovering.

Cons

I'd love to use time logging / timesheets but cannot for the life of me figure this part out!

Response from Float

Hi Sam,

Thanks so much for your review! The Account Owner can activate time tracking on your account, including a 30 day free trial for first time users.

Your team's timesheets will be pre-filled base don your scheduled work hours in Float!

If you'd like to set up a demo or find out more information, please email us at [email protected] and we'd be happy to help!

Ben C.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Flexible and responsive

Reviewed on 02/08/2019

Float has given me the ability to schedule resources from a regional perspective and utilise cross project multi skilled resources.
I can easily search a resource skill and view their availability !

Pros

Being able to make changes and have those changes reflect live on my teams phones is a HUGE benefit!

Cons

responsiveness of the website. Would be great to have local instance for a faster response when making changes

Chris N.

Great Concept with Some Server issues

Reviewed on 02/08/2019

Float helps us accurately manage our project life cycles and also individual workloads to ascertain useful information about performance rates and also account health.

Pros

Float is visually very easy to read and allows users to be succinct but detailed at the same time.

Cons

Float tends to not register all our changes and tends to not be completely "LIVE" as it requires multiple refreshes at times to attain the most updated information. This is mainly happens when there are multiple project managers.

The export report is not as detailed as I would like it to be. It would be more beneficial to have monthly exports with breakdowns per job, per person and per week. I need to use the raw data more often than referring to the online report so it would be good to see some improvements on this.

Review after 3 years as an Software Company to follow our client's project

Reviewed on 12/08/2019

We choose Float because it doesn't do a lot of things but what it does it do it well

Collaborative
Efficient for each project manager

Cons

Difficulties to follow each budget for every project we deploy
Smartphone apply very limited

Michael W.

Finally, the tool we'd been looking for

Reviewed on 14/08/2020

Pros

The simplicity of the platform, it's so easy to drag, drop and view all of the company's assigned tasks as a very quick glance. The ability to be able to switch to project view (vs just people) is great too.

Cons

Early on when we started with the platform some of the usability was cumbersome & slow. However, it's changed a lot since, and is a very smooth platform now.

I think one of the things I'd like most is the ability to add notes alongside milestones so that we can put notes in about what that milestone includes.

Hannelie V.

Key resource management tool

Reviewed on 19/08/2019

Very easy to use, great dashboards and continuous enhancements to the product.

Pros

Easy to navigate and setup.
Integration with Outlook.
Out of office functionality.
Administration module to access invoices etc.
Team setups

Cons

More fluent way of connecting to JIRA.
Financial management and time tracking would be great.

Viviam A.
  • Industry: Research

Good project dashboard

Reviewed on 01/08/2019

Pros

To see all my team tasks
To see all my projects at the same time

Cons

Can not edit project from "project" tab.
Can not have a timeSheet for my team.
Can not have a gantt to projects.

Veary W.

Change the way you work!

Reviewed on 01/08/2019

Time spent managing an excel spreadsheet, trying to integrate or find out staff holidays and /or training, managing pipeline work and assigning staff - all this is now achieved in minutes rather than hours!

Pros

Float saves you time: when you manage a number of resources across multiple clients and projects and lets not forget planned training and AL - most organisations don't have one system where employees, managers and project managers can view staff availability. The administration for Float is low and does not require you to update!

Cons

updating a resource and having to select the Today button again - sometimes is confusing

Callison N.
  • Industry: Public Relations & Communications

Packed full of features but not fully utilised

Reviewed on 30/06/2020

It was easy to implement and helped streamline our scheduling of jobs within the team. However, it is has lots of features which weren't properly utilised and lacked better user experience.

Pros

It does not require all users to create a user and login. The administrative team set up all colleagues and could get started with scheduling work immediately. That convenience helped allow the rest of the team to be freed of the cumbersome admin work and concentrate on our tasks. The whole seamless implementation is complemented by how our team members could check our schedules right from the browsers.

Cons

The application seemed to be a bit laggy. It is probably due to a lot of features that most of us do not require using. Without proper onboarding UI/UX, it further discourages us from exploring the application to find out how to put it to good use.

Finn B.

Wonderful piece of software

Reviewed on 02/08/2019

Pros

Float has given me more overview in my day-to-day planning at work. It's a wonderful tool that does what you'd expect. Besides the wonderful functionality and ease-of-use, it looks very good, too.

Cons

I'm personally missing a few key features:

- I'd like to see Google Calendar integration, it'd be nice to see my day in my calendar on the go.
- Notifications would be handy, I've had it happen my planning has been changed without me knowing.
- A dark theme is always a good thing, would love to see that added.

Response from Pixel Paddock

Hi Finn,

Thanks so much for the feedback!

We do have a Google Calendar integration. You can select this from the global navigation menu > My profile settings > Integrations.
Support article: http://support.float.com/en/articles/2795210-google-calendar-integration

We're working on notifications at the moment, stay tuned!

Thanks again for the feedback and choosing Float!

Ashleigh Z.
  • Industry: Design

Using Float in a Design Agency

Reviewed on 14/08/2020

My overall eperince with float has been amazing, I have been able to see what is in store for me the following week after the lead designer delegates the work, I am able to track my time sheet accordingly, the colour coding of clients helps a ton at a quick glance.

Pros

Float offers collaboration for multiple users that interact with one another on a daily basis. It is really efficient to see at a glance who will be working with who and to calculate the number of hours spent on certain clients including meetings that are scheduled over and above the workload for said client. This is a very effective way to evaluate schedules, costings and collaboration.

Cons

Adding in items that are shorter than an hour that can still be readable at a glance, maybe increasing the standard bar height? Perhaps giving a weekly view in email in the form of a timeline. The verticle timeline doesn't sit with me well. I would also like to see something like Mondays fully integrated with float.

Chloe D.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Works well

Reviewed on 05/09/2019

Pros

It is intuitive and easy to use. It has allowed for better communication with my manager and colleagues in order to keep the many parts moving in a complex, long-term project.

Cons

I don't have any complaints about the features I use. I would like to start using more of the features in the future.

Ineshka D.
  • Industry: Design

Good software on Float

Reviewed on 06/02/2020

Overall, a great software that does the job - but could be more useful and embedded into customers work life with some added features like to-do lists and other planning functionalities.

Pros

I've always liked using this app. It's super easy to use, I can access it on my phone too. I really like the fact that I can see other team member schedules as well as my own.

It would be amazing if you could build into Float and add the function to do have your own to-do lists. I think it would go great with the scheduling/planning features of the software.

Cons

Sometimes it can be frustrating when I've been double/over booked for something and I can't reject/appeal/flag the booking in my schedule. It would be nice if I had more flexibility and control over my own schedule without PM's being able to book in whatever they please.

Robert T.

Deceptively Simple

Reviewed on 01/08/2019

Pros

Colorful and organized interface. Drag and drop functionality.

Cons

Confusing to see who else is on my team when working on a project.

Jenny S.

Float keeps us profitable!

Reviewed on 17/01/2019

Float keeps us organized, on task, and our project manager can quickly understand how close we are to capacity on projects, when we can start new projects, etc. It's easy to use and an essential tool for our small team!

Pros

Super easy to learn/use, easy to drag and drop assignments from one person to another, keeps us on task which means we can be more profitable!

Cons

I think the mobile UX could be better. As an owner, I'm out and about a lot, and would like a better experience when viewing Float on my phone.

Renee J.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Float Review

Reviewed on 30/01/2019

I love using Float! I had to convince my managers to hop on board but once I provided a tutorial everyone jumped on board. Staff comes to me and asks who is available in a week to help with something and I can very quickly say go to person A, they have availability. I no longer have to talk to my boss and my other project managers to check someone's availability and I can easily solve staffing challenges. Float is exactly what I needed for my department.

Pros

Float doesn't get mixed up with trying to provide so many options that it becomes unusable. When I was evaluating software this is what I found everywhere. I needed help visualizing what my employees are working on and that is exactly what Float provides. It is easy to use and you can put as little or as much information in as you want. Even with the tiniest amount of data you get to see everyone's schedules.

Cons

I don't actually think it's the software but I think it's my internet browser.. Sometimes it is hard for me to scroll through my employees and look at the schedule. Again though, I don't think it's the software but my firefox browser causing the issue... I know, I know, switch to chrome already.. I just don't want too.

Kevin A.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Perfect way to track time

Reviewed on 17/02/2021

Pros

I love the intuitiveness of the software, and it provides a really great visual to see what I've worked on, along with what my coworkers are working on. The analytics reporting is also very interesting, and though I have not much use for it, it is a great way for higher management to track our projects.

Cons

Our office had trouble putting in PTO at first; it only worked after I created a custom time-off category, and only then was it available for the rest of the team. A strange little hiccup, but now it works perfectly for entering in time off. Another strange thing that I don't particularly like, is that when inputting certain tasks that may end on the half hour instead of the hour, the day will look visually longer than it actually was. If I work 3 hours on one task, and 5 hours on another, it's visually consistent with the size of an 8 hour block. But, if I work 7.5 hours on one task, and 0.5 hours on another, it looks like it's the size of an 8.5 hour day. It would just be nice if the hour totals always corresponded to the correct size of the time block.

Joel C.

Float - Quick and simple time management

Reviewed on 17/01/2019

I am a production manager at a Design Agency working with designers and developers. Float allows me to track progress of everyone across multiple projects in one place. Ease of use and simplicity to update are the main reasons I chose Float. It's simple enough for anyone to pick up, the useful features can be found when you need them.

Pros

Easy to pick up and use (even for tech novices).

Instant access from anywhere easily due to being stored online

Automatic email updates to team.

Easy to scan statistics and automated reporting are a huge win for me.

Cons

None major. One issue is that sometimes updates are missed on the email updates but we have an internal system which we use to update staff so we sometimes use that when working to tight deadlines.

Adam H.

Managing workflows can be simple

Reviewed on 01/08/2019

Pros

Easy to use, I especially like the colour coding of clients, drag and drop editing and recurring scheduling.
My team come in at the start of the day and know exactly what client they are working on and how long is scheduled to complete the job. It's pretty awesome.

Cons

Originally it was a bit clunky but the latest upgrades have made it super good.

Cheryl K.

Feedback on Float

Reviewed on 17/01/2019

Ensuring that the internal resources are not burning out - through resource allocation of jobs.

Pros

The visibility it gives us on all the status and workflow of all our ongoing projects against the resources.

Cons

The software has a pretty high tendency of hanging. On multiple occasions, time blocks input would not be reflected resulting in missing work allocation.