1,453 reviews

1,453 reviews

Finally, Reporting Made Easy!

Reviewed on 04/03/2021

Overall, I am very glad to be using Tableau for reporting. It really helps my team and I see and understand the reports easily so that we can focus on analyzing. The automatic updates and the ability to turn certain filters on and off have been a big game changer for us. If you're looking for a better way to visualize your data, I recommend looking into Tableau.

Pros

Tableau seamlessly integrates with Salesforce and allows us to create beautiful reports and dashboards. Prior to this, we relied on Salesforce for all reporting and we found it pretty limiting or difficult to set-up. With Tableau, it's been very easy to see all of our reports in one place. I love that you can toggle on certain filters too to change the dashboards easily rather than having to edit the whole thing. We also have ours set to auto refresh daily, which saves us time. I always found that refreshing my reports or dashboards on Salesforce took some time, but with Tableau this process has been sped up.

Cons

I have yet to encounter any difficulties with this software. The process has been pretty smooth so far.

• Industry: Insurance Software

Great BI Tool

Reviewed on 09/03/2021

Love the product, great for Ad-Hoc presentations and digging into historical data.

Pros

I really like how easy it is to try visualizing data in different ways. Going into an analysis I don't always know the best way to present my data, so being able to try different things so easily makes my analysis a lot easier.

Cons

Formatting visualizations is not easy to understand. Clunky UI for formatting. Somewhat difficult to figure out what exactly is being changed by different options.

Andres Q.
  • Industry: Food Production
  • Used Other for 2+ years

A very intuitive business intelligence tool

Reviewed on 14/01/2020

I started using it while I was making my MBA and I was amazed at the easy of use and the possibility to make chart in a very powerful way beyond excel. Later on, when I was asked to do some complex representation of many parameters, Tableau has been the best and easiest option, beyond other 3 options I have tried from major sellers

Pros

- Very intuitive way o assemble data, no need for programming or special commands
- Easily change data from numeric to alphanumeric
- The most common and useful charts are available
- Easy to breakdown data into several clusters
- I once plotted 6 parameters in a 2 dimensional chart: X, Y, bubble size, color, name, icon
- You can build special read-only docs with the functionality to be read by Tableu Reader (as in acrobat reader)
- You can customize label, axis, trend and references lines

Cons

- Eventually some very specific charts are not there as chord, tornado, tree maps, nodes, gauges, alluvial diagram, dendograms
- Even with all the clustering, it lacks statistical analysis as Anova, hypothesis test between two set of data, normal probability plot

Rhea D.

Best Data Visualization Tool

Reviewed on 27/05/2020

Tableau by far is the best visualization tool I have worked with and there is no comparison with other tools. I have never felt that Tableau lacked anything and have discovered things I wouldn't normally do with the data if not for its Tableau functionality. This has helped me create robust dashboards and stories with a lot of unstructured and confusing data. I have been using Tableau for more than 2 years now and never get tired of its interesting interface and ease of use and the best part is that the developers of the software keep updating it to new versions with new functionalities and features.

Pros

I love each and everything about working with Tableau . It is by far the best tool for visualization and none of the other tools is a match for its versatile uses. I like the ease of use and step by step guidelines. What I like most about Tableau is its integration with a vast number of Softwares, platforms, and databases which I do not think are offered by a lot of other visualization Softwares. Tableaus ability to handle customized calculated fields, create stories and dashboards and animations are some of its strongest points that make it a market competitor in Viz

Cons

There are a lot of features on one single interface as Tableau wants to maximize the user experience. But because there is so much on the one single interface that tableau has, a lot of features go unnoticed and unused. Also since there are so many features and functionalities, it sometimes is difficult to locate a particular functionality. Being an avid user, I have noticed that sometimes, arranging pills in a particular order on rows and columns, changes and undoes the entire visualization to a backtracked point which undoes important steps at times and leads to rework.

Sarah E.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Educator who uses Tableau to analyze and display network-wide student achievement data

Reviewed on 05/03/2019

Pros

I'm a K-4 public educator who uses Tableau to analyze and display network-wide student achievement data. As the literacy director for six elementary schools, I analyze scholar data on a daily basis. I primarily use Tableau to display English quiz results for each of my schools to compare and contrast performance by question and by standard. I appreciate the ability to categorize data (by school, by section, by question, by standard) and to easily sync it with our data uploading system (we use Illuminate). Displays are easy to read and easy to implement -- overall a pleasant user experience. I really like how you can create workbooks on Tableau that will auto refresh whenever you open them. This is SUPER helpful to me considering I analyze data daily. Given that I work with multiple schools across multiple grades, the filtering options that Tableau offers are also very helpful to my work. I also appreciate that it's free, even though I'm not the one making all the high level budget decisions.

Cons

It took me about 2-3 hours of perusing the internet to feel comfortable using Tableau. Perhaps they offer user support resources but I did not have any access to them. It's definitely not the most self-explanatory software out there, and I wish there was an easier way to either train myself on how to use it or read articles/watch videos that could quickly help me learn how to use it efficiently.

Easy Analytics Tool

Reviewed on 07/05/2020

It is one of the grate tool that is saving my bunch of time. I can utilize more timings to make attractive visualizations rather than spending time in Organizing and Cleaning of data, It has everything like calculations, Maps, Filters and lot more very cool functions.

Pros

So Easy to Clean and Reorganize data , data cleaning takes forever via database or Excel, Tableau makes it easy to load and clean before its ready for analysis

Cons

Takes to much time at first load or update large amount of data. Once it load successfully then you are good to go

Good Data Visualization Tool, But Needs Improvement

Reviewed on 14/04/2021

I use Tableau every day, and it's a really powerful data visualization tool. I have used to make many good presentations. However, the speed is very frustrating. If the speed problem can be solved, I won't complain anything about this app.

Pros

First of all, Tableau is a considerably powerful data visualization tool. In Tableau, you are able to create lots of fancy, interactive, and dynamic graphs. It also supports lots of data sources, so usually, you don't need to worry about connecting your data sources to Tableau. If you have any questions about using this app, you can simply go to the Tableau forum and post your question. Usually, you can get an answer within 24 hours.

Cons

Speed! Speed! Speed! When you have to deal with a large dataset, speed will become a major issue here. It can take several minutes to run a query. What is even more annoying is that it also takes several minutes to cancel a query. I really don't understand how it can take that long just to cancel a query. Anyway, you really need to think before action; otherwise, please wait for 5 minutes.

Verda D.

Excellent

Reviewed on 13/01/2020

Overall, love the versatility and ease of use. There is some training that you need to go through to learn the full functionality and collaboration, but the options you get with this software are endless. High recommend to anyone who is into visual storytelling.

Pros

I was introduced to this product a few years ago when trying to work on data dashboards. I work large volumes of data and numbers don't make sense to high management. We need to summarize data and provide visual storyboards to provide summaries to leadership. In the past, I have employed Excel or Powerpoint to make charts and graphs. While those work great, Tableau provides a much better quality product where multiple functions and calculations are available at your fingertip. The graphics look extremely professional and provide a great variety of options or summarizing and analyzing data. Love this state of the art tool!

Cons

When I started using this software, one thing that I didn't like was how the online platform is open to everyone. The data and the graphics I produce can be accessible to anyone. Working with sensitive data that we can't give access to anyone, I couldn't use the free version. I suggest, they provide a free option where you can house your private data and dashboards. Other than that, perhaps the price would be a factor too. It took me several hoops to get it approved through my management to have it installed.

Jay M.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

A leader in BI Analytics

Reviewed on 12/03/2019

Pros

Tableau is an incredibly robust BI tool. Drag and drop functionality and built-in connectors to a wide variety of data sources make it a breeze to get up and running while creating beautiful visualizations that can help your business make intelligent, informed, data-driven decisions. Whether you are new to BI tools or have years of experience, you can easily use Tableau to help you get up and running with all of your data needs. If you aren't sure how to best visualize your data, Tableau will give you recommendations based on the type of data you're using.

Cons

While Tableau can be easy to start using, it can definitely feel overwhelming at times. With so many connectors and different charts and graphs it is easy to get lost when you are first starting out. Some of the calculated fields, while incredibly robust, feel like you need a PhD in order to figure them out. Once you get past some of these hurdles, you'll never look back though!

Adam C.
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Very powerful, very slow

Reviewed on 02/04/2020

Despite its slowness, we would be much worse off without Tableau. The sheer amount of data we can present in the software helps us out across our team, department and no doubt across the entire business. It’s easy to set up and build reports and they can be displayed in a multitude of different ways - some more functional and some more visual than others. It would be difficult to analyse so much data so quickly without Tableau.

Pros

The reporting and analytics possibilities within the software are extremely diverse. Being able to pull together multiple data sources to monitor and evaluate performance across all of our metrics and KPI’s is invaluable. The range of display options is extremely helpful - there’s a chart type for everything so you can display your data in the best possible way for your needs.

Cons

I find the system extremely slow. I’m using large datasets, but I expect there to be businesses with far more data than us and I can only imagine that it would be unworkable. Even just the most benign task of changing the date range in a report can take up to a minute. Even when pausing the report and toggling the filters it still has a few seconds of delay.

Kerra S.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Turned an average Excel user into a data analytics pro

Reviewed on 09/11/2017

We used Tableau to combine over 2 million lines of health claims data from Excel spreadsheets with approximately 85 data points per line. Tableau made it possible for our team to compare each line of data and locate the specific lines of data that indicated problems within the coding for health benefits. After locating the issues and fixing the coding, we used Tableau to compare the data again and validate that the potential issues were corrected. Without the use of a tool like Tableau, our comparison process would have taken weeks longer, and would have been less effective.

Pros

Able to gather large pieces of data from multiple spreadsheets and combine them to create a cohesive picture
Flexibility in creating different types of reports and graphs for sharing with a variety of audiences
Overall, most functions were easy to learn, and once the graphs were created, it was easy to copy them and alter them for additional purposes

Cons

Some of the functions were difficult to master quickly--had a higher learning curve than I would have liked for some tasks

Oliver H.

Tableau

Reviewed on 18/04/2020

Overall a strong experience with the system and it's a software that serves it's purpose though there does seem to be a lack of software updates/capability updates.

Pros

The interactive interface is easy to manipulate once information is ingested into the program as long as the data is following the rules-based parameters that you've set up. The labelling of data enables an easy story to be compiled when sent around to internal stakeholders.

Cons

There is a lack of diversity and modelling that can happen as the system is not used to cross-data sourced systems. The speed of the system can be slow. Not to mention there is a lack of plugins or API into other systems.

• Customer Support Software

One of the best visual BI tools on the market

Reviewed on 19/01/2019

Pros

If your company is heavily invested in Salesforce and it's your go-to system record and you aren't using Wave - you need to seriously consider it. It has a learning curve, but not unlike any other BI tool. It has dashboards that come out of the box that can be useful for some but otherwise is extremely customizable. They are continually investing on the platform and providing improvements, still some to be made.

Cons

If you aren't used to BI tools and don't have an expert in house, the terminology can be difficult to understand at first (ie: building lenses - or datasets) and it may take some time to grasp. It can also be expensive, but in our case it has more than provided value for our team to help improve decision making abilities. My one biggest fault with SFDC is that any kind of real time support service is an add-on, so you'll need to be patient if you require help.

Jaehoon L.

• Customer Support Software

Great report and dashboard development tool in the market

Reviewed on 23/02/2019

Our company has pretty big needs of data analytics and visualization with more than 100 clinical data analysts. Tableau is an expensive solution, but it is worth to invest it to deal with all the variety of development and maintenance needs.

Pros

We adopted it for our internal report and dashboard development, to monitor clinical data and key performance indexes. The Tableau server was well integrated with out clinical database. It provides rich functions of easy report authoring, configurability, security control, and automated data extraction. Arguably, Tableau is one of the leaders in the area of business intelligence tools for many aspects.

Cons

Tableau Desktop for authoring report in local machine used to be slow when it is loaded with heavy data. It is stable when it is in authoring mode, but used to crash especially when it is connected to large volume of data in remote databases. Fault tolerance should be improved.

• Customer Support Software

Fast data views and analysis

Reviewed on 13/10/2020

Being able to see data quickly and share it amongst many team members has been great.

Pros

The speed in which data can be shown is incredibly quick. You can toggle between views and different data sets at a very fast pace, it works far quicker than anything else I've used.

Cons

It isn't the prettiest of UI's and I'd say that it isn't hugely intuiative for someone to use out of the box, regardless of your profeciency with software. You do really need some training to get the most out of the product.

Javvad H.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Tableau for network KPIs reporting

Reviewed on 02/03/2020

The overall experience is good, Tableau provides a solid base of complex data analysis. The dashboards created through Tableau are visually appealing and helps in the quick analysis. For periodic reporting the reports can be made with connection to the backend source and when required can be updated with a click of a button.

Pros

1) Rich options for inputting data ranging from CSV, Excel, SQL to almost every source.
2) Lots of data presentation/interpretation options available, Tableau provides the options ranging from table to different graphs itself based on the data selected.
3)In-depth analysis of data is easily possible.
4)The dashboards created can be set to update manually or relative to dates.
5) The created reports can be shared easily for view with teams.
6)Custom indicators can be created quickly.

Cons

1)The software for new learners is available for only 2 weeks, there should be at least 3 months period.
2)The cost of the product is also high.

Jordan D.

Visualization...No More Than That

Reviewed on 11/03/2019

As my title implies, if you have a talented DBA on your time this could be the tool for all of your data visualization needs. If you're a one-person analyst that needs to automate several dashboards, look to tools like Improvado or Datorama.

Pros

I love that it's easy to integrate mostly clean data and then start to build formulas to visualize data. It's a tool that tremendously helps the data analyzation process. While at university, Tableau was always held to the gold standard for any and all data visualization tasks.

Cons

If you're not a novice at data analysis, you understand that Tableau was never meant to be the one source for backend data piping and dashboard visualizations. If you want that, you should look to tools like Datorama. If you're lucky enough to work for a firm that has a data engineering team and you can work with them to pipe data into a dashboard, you'll really learn to love this product.

Andrea O.
  • Industry: Financial Services Software

• Customer Support Software

Still the best on its class

Reviewed on 11/05/2018

Overall, a very good product. It has a free trial license, so I recommend a trial to anyone interested in data visualizations.

Pros

I am a longtime user of Tableau an I think I should update my previous review.
Some years ago, Tableau was already a top-contender. Starting from this position, it has enlarged the list of compatible databases, and the capabilities to mix and match data from different sources.
In the last weeks, Tableau software has changed is pricing scheme, and now it offers a reduced-price "viewer" license. In the past, you were forced to buy "the more costly "publisher license" even fro viewers.

Cons

The palette of available visualizations is the same since too many years. (e.g. it is missing radial plots)

Sweya G.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Tableau review

Reviewed on 27/10/2019

We embed tableau graphics in our webpages as a part of our analytic data points. We circulate the health care costs, quality and information via online articles , printed journals to the consumers. For these products tableau is used a lot for building various kind of graphics especially heat maps

Pros

The dynamic graphics in tableau can be made with drag and drop with the need for coding expertise. For advanced users they can integrate Tableau with R , python etc and make most customized graphics.The parameters and pages features are best, i feel based on my use.

Cons

Tableau does not let us create dashed lines for line graphs and its very irritating because some times I would need another element apart from colors to differentiate groups on the line graph and tableau has very little advancement here. Another area is the tableau maps.we cannot really use user supplied addresses and lat/long coordinates together. If the features are made something similar to GIS it will be great

Matteo S.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

• Customer Support Software

Best way to provide business intelligence

Reviewed on 18/07/2019

Coming from a similar software (qlikview) the transition was as easy as it could be. My team was able to quickly deploy a new dashboarding system on a few weeks.

Pros

The way in which allows to customize charts and table just without requiring much script writing

Cons

It has suboptimal access to IBDC sources.

• Industry: Automotive

• Customer Support Software

A perfect tool if you want to switch from the contemporary excel spreadsheet data analysis

Reviewed on 24/11/2020

This is an extremely budget friendly professional tool that is perfect for organizing undergoing a digital analytical transformation.
Really love the interface and the scope and benefits this tool offers is endless

Pros

The analytics module is the best I would say
It is really easy to derive charts from the available database.
Linking existing databases works like a charm.
It has a plethora of data visualization methods which is extremely professional and helpful for users to gain valuable insights

Cons

The initial effort required to understand and successfully generate results is on the higher side.but once after basic understanding it is really easy to generate your required output.

Phillip H.
  • Industry: Higher Education Software
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Extremely useful, difficult to get used to

Reviewed on 15/02/2019

Pros

I currently go to a dental school that uses the software to keep track of students' production and progress towards graduation. It has assisted me in keeping track of my numbers and seeing which quarters I have produced the most, what procedures I still have in progress, and the milestones that I need to reach in order to stay on track to graduate. It is a very useful analytical tool that most likely has many other applications in the business.

Cons

It took some time to get used to all of the analytical tools available in the software. The main page looked very cluttered and it was difficult to navigate at first. Like any other software, there is a learning curve. Once you master the software, I'm sure that it would serve you very well in any business analytic ventures,

Caio A.

• Customer Support Software

Tableau is a must for anyone working with data.

Reviewed on 15/04/2018

Pros

Tableau is a great product with a feature set that easily rivals that of of competitors. If customers are willing to eat its learning curve, then Tableau can almost certainly fulfill any data analytics need. And, if the company evolves its UI in the future, then there's every chance it might regain its solo position as king of self-serve BI. It is easy, full featured software to do data analyses.

Cons

There is a learning curve involved. A new Tableau Software user will need to spend time learning how to use the software. But it is so worth the learning curve because then it becomes easy and flexible to use

• Industry: Automotive

• Customer Support Software

Great product in the visualization world.

Reviewed on 15/01/2020

Pros

I found tableau the most user friendly application for creating the visualization. I have been using different visualization tool but tableau is very easy tool to use. Some of the good feature I liked most are the switching or swapping functionalities of the views is awesome. Also easy to connect with different data sources and get the data in one views. Overall I would prefer to go with this tool for the industrial implementation for visualization users.

Cons

There are many filters options that made me confuse in the earlier stage of using tableau, but now I got hands on with this but for the new developers it would be bit difficult to understand the functionalities and usage of the different filters.

Keerthi P.
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Nice Visualization Software

Reviewed on 02/10/2018

This is the ultimate Business intelligence visualization tool that our management likes very well.

Pros

Tableau is a data visualization tool that helps create dashboards and other reports in a very easy and configurable way. I liked the way we have multiple options to update our reporting tool to each personal liking with no programming language required.
we can create public dashboards, or customize the permission to user needs at a granular level.
The user interface is also clean, and all the required data analysis can be done with drag and drop.
Since this is a mobile compatible software, it an be used for ipad an iPhone use a well.

Cons

Some of the fonts on the graphs need to be adjusted better to display stunning graphs.