Deputy

Staff Scheduling, Time & Attendance (Time Clock) and more

4.7 /5 (561 reviews) Write a Review!
4.7
4.4
Justin P.
Industry: Security & Investigations

Deputy for Security

Reviewed on 21/11/2020

Deputy is an innovative solution for security professionals.

Pros

Deputy allows users to check their schedules, claim open shifts, and clock their time with accountability by GPS tracking.

Cons

Sometimes lags in the data makes it difficult to clock time accurately. Also transferring incident reports could be made easier.

Natalie O.
Industry: Apparel & Fashion

No bad until you try to leave

Reviewed on 27/08/2018

I have rarely ever left a negative review in my life but after my recent experience I feel it's almost a responsibility. I closed my business in July. Not having a need for timekeeping I cancelled an account. I deleted all staff and shifts and unsubscribed from this service. I did so before the close of the billing cycle. Since this is a payment in advance service I should have been left with nothing outstanding. I've had demand after demand. I went back into the account to inquire as to why I'm still receiving demands to find that the account was not closed, I was not unsubscribed and although all staff profiles had been deleted i was still listed as having 5 staff. I updated my contact information, emailed Deputy stating that I had unsubscribed using the instructions in the help files and heard nothing more. Then the demands started again. The worst however was having to deal with their customer service rep on live chat who'd leave me sitting on live chat for 5-7 minutes at a time only to come back and claim he was leaving me hang there on purpose so "I'd calm down" He seemed to take particular exception to me insisting on a chat transcript. Given that I'm so furious with this company and how it allows its reps to treat customers, customer service rep's strategy didn't work. I got my chat transcript in the end but only by copying and pasting the entire thing myself. He wasn't too keen on his replies being included in the chat transcript. Utterly disgusting.

Pros

It's cheap. It's not an expensive service but the old adage you get what you pay for applies here.

Cons

Customer service is deplorable. I've never in my lifetime of dealing with various services, apps, etc ever dealt with a customer service rep as badly trained and as unprofessional as I have seen at Deputy.

Response from Deputy

Hi Natalie. We really value your feedback and will share this information with our team. Thank you for your honesty and we look forward to working with you in the future to improve your Deputy experience!

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Stacy M.
Industry: Restaurants

Fantastic!

Reviewed on 20/06/2018

This software has helped our company specifically with the scheduling aspect of our business. It saves the company scheduler time, helps us keep the time off requests and scheduling organized, and has made it much easier to communicate the work schedule to our employees. After trying the free trial, we knew it was the right software for us.

Pros

We went from using spreadsheets and a calendar planner to using Deputy. When we were comparing scheduling programs, Deputy really grabbed our attention because of its look, ease of use, and price. We have been using it solely now for almost 2 months and it has proven to be a dependable, trustworthy service. We no longer need the planner to keep track of time-off requests. Now they go right into Deputy. It is very easy to set up and customize - Deputy offers to do this for you, but we did it on our own. I am a self-learner and was able to gain much insight on the program after watching a tutorial video. Deputy's customer support has been dependable. I was able to get my questions answered during a scheduled video call with a customer support representative. I've also emailed them and they've responded within 24 hours, and I've used their live chat. My employees like it, and they appreciate how it automatically adds their shifts to their phone calendar. Overall, I've had a very positive experience with Deputy. I highly recommend giving them a try!

Cons

I've sat here for a long time trying to come up with a complaint about the software. At this time, I have no complaints about the product but will report back if something comes up the longer we use it.

Matthew L.
Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Staff management made super easy

Reviewed on 27/07/2016

I use deputy every single day to keep tabs on my employees who work in two different locations. Scheduling and managing my employees couldn't be easier. Deputy is a very easy to use software used to track data, time sheets, schedules and communicate with each other.

Pros

I love the reports that deputy keeps track of. Every report is meticulously categorized and organized, which is a complete life saver. Instead of spending hours sorting through time sheets and data, deputy has all that for me in a single click! Payroll is super simple.
I also love the way that I can communicate with 40+ employees through the news feed. I use the news feed for important company announcements and changes which is helpful because everyone has to be on the deputy software, so everyone will see the messages. My employees also interact through deputy among regarding work such as schedules, work processes etc.

Cons

More functionality with the iOS app. I work a lot through my phone and I would be great if I didn't need to hop on my laptop to access everything I need on deputy.

Adam G.

Simple program to use with great customer service

Reviewed on 25/04/2018

Pros

Simplicity in its use. I also enjoy the ease of inputting employees into the system and the ease of placing employees into shifts. Its quite easy to use and its functionality is great throughout all levels of use.

I can tell you that the customer services is also wonderful and quick to reply to any need. They really have someone available around the clock which is quite helpful considering I often times get my admin work done later at night here in the US!

Cons

Overall, there is not much that I do not like, I do wish that Deputy integrated for little to no cost with accounting or other IT Software programs. I would love to integrate with other programs that I use, but the cost is just too high to do that with the small business that I have. Its ok...easy enough to do on my own due to the ease of use of the program overall.

Alicia C.

Deputy makes scheduling masses easier. A few features need to be added still though

Reviewed on 23/04/2018

Pros

I love that I can copy-paste a schedule from last week, make minor adjustments for employees who have other rotating schedules to work around, or vacation days... it also makes finding available replacements drastically easier

Cons

I dont like the printable version and I still prefer posting my schedule instead of only having it digital. I want my employees to see my notes for each shift publicly and so I have to screenshot them print which has resolution issues. Therefore I have to size increase the window (ctr+), take two different screenshots, and then stitch together with photoshop in order to share these notes. Also, we are a restaurant that does shifts to phase send people home in order of first clock in time depending on how busy/slow we are or when dinner rush slows down. There is no way to indicate this. I have to use shift end times as estimates and let employees know. Also our POS system Sapphire is not supported and we can't use the clock-in feature

Austin K.
Industry: Computer Software

Deputy, An Easy Scheduling Solution

Reviewed on 19/12/2018

I've been using Deputy for 6 months and it's taken a bit of getting used to but has been worth it. Deputy allows me to view which employees are signed in, track hours, change hours, and see where each employee is working on the job site. It also allows me to assign employees to their respective work areas and lets their managers see which hours have been worked. We don't assign pay rates, but use it more for the hour tracking, which it does very well. If you're a small business who is looking for a manageable solution to tracking your employees' hours, look no further than Deputy. The team is also very willing and able to help with any questions you may have and are always looking for suggestions to improve their system.

Pros

Deputy allows me to track all the employees and easily view which hours were worked on which day and by whom.

Cons

Deputy took a bit of learning to get used to. Scheduling employees and rounding times could use a bit of refining.

Jennifer F.
Industry: Entertainment

Quality app that is easy to set-up and use. Customer service is ready to assist any time.

Reviewed on 17/04/2018

I save time scheduling employees. Employees are able to receive their schedule as soon as it's publish. I am able to set daily lists for tasks to completed during every shift plus assign additional tasks as needed.

Pros

It was simple to set-up the account and to use it afterwards. It is easy to show the employees how to use. The news feed is great to communicate to all my employees at one time.

Cons

The task lists are tricky to set-up, especially the lists that come up when employees clock out. I was given an address to go to when creating the clocking out questions but would prefer a direct link on the website so I wouldn't have to spend time searching for the web address

Rachel P.
Industry: Facilities Services
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Saved us money and meets our needs with a few quirks

Reviewed on 20/04/2018

Large cost savings over the product we were using with similar features.

Pros

It's a easy to use scheduling software at an amazing price. Additionally, the ability to sink with google calendar has helped our staff to stay on track with their shifts. We also like the training features which allow us to select which employees can work in which areas without having them be totally separated in the system.

Cons

Notifications. There's no way to adjust individual notification settings, so your mailbox is flooded with emails.

The constant presence of features you don't have access to in an effort to up-sell.

Jackie F.

Makes my life so much easier!!

Reviewed on 20/06/2018

Pros

the ease of communication with staff makes our company run more smoothly. I appreciate how I can see everyday what is going on (someone late) which makes it so much easier to adjust the day.

Cons

there is sometimes a lot of notifications but you do have options to shut them off
Sometimes employees will have a trouble installing but their customer service staff is wonderful and their to help.

Davin R.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Deputy is a must for any business

Reviewed on 12/04/2017

If you business requires the tracking of hours worked like most business, YOU MUST JOIN DEPUTY.

This program is very easy to use, and employees love it. This company is great with communication and fixing any issues that may arise.

The reporting system is great and very accurate.

A+++ a must for your business

Pros

Cons

customizing to include my logo

Response from Deputy

Davin,

Thanks for your awesome feedback! We love hearing success stories like yours, and what an awesome quote : )

"YOU MUST JOIN DEPUTY"

Thanks for your stamp of approval, and never hesitate to reach out to our team for help in the future!

Happy scheduling.

- Team Deputy

Sam M.
Industry: Hospitality

Great Software!

Reviewed on 20/04/2017

A real lifesaver when it comes to time spent on HR! Well laid out UI and intuitive enough that my staff can figure out how to use it as they go.

Pros

Great UI, time saver. Integrations with Kounta to see sales vs staff costs.

Cons

Doesn't directly allow custom wages based on an area of work and/or age. Can be achieved through the RIA 2010 template but would be nice to see this native and customizable inside deputy when adding employees and wages. Maybe an extra tab with wages. Custom wages based on hrs of the day/employee age/working area etc. Then apply them to an area or employee.

Response from Deputy

Thanks for your awesome feedback Sam! We love hearing success stories like yours! Never hesitate to reach out to our team for help in the future and happy scheduling.

- Team Deputy

Juliet P.
Industry: Consumer Services

Deputy is an easy, affordable scheduling app that helps our small business to stay organized!

Reviewed on 23/04/2018

Helping our small business to stay organized and allow for better communication with our scheduling.

Pros

I like that it sends a text to the employees with their schedules. I also like that they can use it as a timeclock.

Cons

I can't think of anything...maybe that you can't fully customize adding a new employee on the app like you can on the computer.

Joel S.

We have been thoroughly pleased with the Deputy Product

Reviewed on 23/04/2018

Pros

We manage there different veterinary clinics with Deputy. Love the payroll projections for the work week. We use the journal options to keep track of items for review during our performance reviews. Love love love the integration with Quickbooks and Intuit Payroll, makes life super easy!!

Cons

We have not encountered any shortcomings. We have only experience difficulty clocking in with our employees once which was a system wide issue and was resolved quickly.

Lisa F.
Industry: Accounting

Great program to use.

Reviewed on 01/05/2018

Time clock

Pros

Quick and Simple easy to use with little instructions. Used the program for many years and love the ease of use.

Cons

Loss of data if wifi goes down. We notice that sometimes when the wifi doesn't work well the data is lossed over 23 hours. We can work with the issue though.

Industry: Hospital & Health Care

Great platform easy to use and train new employees on.

Reviewed on 24/04/2018

Pros

Easy to access on any device, tracks employee time and geo tracks. The new feed is very helpful for notifying employees across a large territory.

Cons

Nothing I can think of overall. Deputy was the best choice for use based on interface and useability of the product.

Chris S.

This application took me from hours to minutes now to create next weeks schedule in Duputy.

Reviewed on 24/04/2018

Deputy is a time saver for me!

Pros

The application is easy to navigate and the support is world class. Scheduling is significantly quicker and the automation of steps is a real time saver. It then helps us with our payroll and verifying our numbers. Most of all I appreciate the help from the Deputy team from installation through adding some very helpfull functionality when I pointed out something that would help me.

Cons

The ony can is that Deputy is not specifically designed for my industry so there are a few things that it simply can't do as far as budgeting.

Industry: Consumer Services

Deputy is so easy to use and so powerful a tool I am able to manage all my employees easily

Reviewed on 20/04/2018

Pros

It functions as a planning tool as well as a time clock for my employees to use, and it imports diectly into my Quickbooks payroll.

Cons

I really don't have any complaints. The price is calculated by number of active employees and is so very reasonable.

Danielle R.
Industry: Retail
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great for keeping track

Reviewed on 13/08/2019

Pros

Keeps track of my hours, how long I worked each day and how many hours I worked in the week.
Lets me know how long I've been on my lunch break.
Easy to use and learn.
Lets me know what days I'm working and not working.
Shows me who is working that day and the next.
Ease of communcation as well.

Cons

Sometimes there are small glitches in the scheduling.

Bridgett W.
Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Useful but tricky at times

Reviewed on 17/09/2019

Overall it's useful and fairly user friendly. It is also easy to give up a shift and offer it to other employees so the shift can still get filled.

Pros

I like how easy to use to sign up for shifts. The feed feature can also be useful for communication but can get a little burdensome when too many people start posting and you get a notification each time someone posts. I also like having the ability to give up a shift and offer it to other employees.

Cons

It seems that when shifts are posted by the administrator that they show up at different speeds for different people so shifts can be claimed by some before they even show up for others which doesn't seem very fair and can get very frustrating. Also, notifications don't come through immediately so shifts can post but users won't get notified until about 2-5 minutes later but someone who is actively on the app can see the shifts immediately.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Regina S.

Deputy is perfect for us when we have employees who do not work from the home office.

Time Sheet

Pros

Employees can clock in at any location from their mobile phone. If an employee forgets to clock out and if they are set upf for mobile clocking in and out, the system will automatically clock them out.

Cons

Tasks should have the ability to be more detailed and should provide more characters for writing more. If a web link is provided in tasks, please allow the link to be clickable.

Darrell M.
Industry: Retail

Good product with constant development will keep me staying with Deputy

ease of scheduling

Pros

Ease of use from scheduling to employee interaction. The employees have the ability to use the kiosk and also their smart phones to communicate

Cons

Would like to see weeks broke out to better determine over time. There is nothing that I really dislike about this software. I have used many others over my career of 30 plus years and this is by far the best.

Sara S.
Industry: Aviation & Aerospace
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Time saving and effective tool.

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 27/10/2018

While using it in organization i had fantastic experience with this marvelous solution.

Pros

The best employee scheduling tool that is really easy to use. The great ultimate workforce manager. It is web based advance technology. The most thing I liked about Deputy it is really inexpensive than the other products available in the market. If I talk about the feature they are no doubt remarkable. By using it communication becomes easier. I love the team and support services of this tool that is responsive. Interface is superb.

Cons

There is nothing to tell about the cons. It is a little difficult to let the new staff know about the use of this tool. I do not mean that it is not easy. I do say it user-friendly use product. It has the super functionality.

Kahni N.
Industry: Medical Practice

Very, very easy to implement and use.

Reviewed on 21/06/2017

It makes rostering and timesheets extremely fast and easy.

Pros

Is really easy to for everyone to use. Its quick, can be accessible on your phone or laptop. Its really easy to copy shifts in advance which reduces a lot of time at work.

Cons

None really. If I had to list something I would love to have my deputy shifts in the same calendar that I use for all of my family appointments etc.

Drew M.
Industry: Events Services

Great experience managing 101 part-time employees using Deputy

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 18/04/2018

Pros

Intuitive & Easy to Use
Especiallly like the NewsFeed/Communication Feature
Excellent Customer Support
Easy Interface to Payroll System (Gusto)

Cons

While excellent for one of our annual events, the software does not readily lend itself to our being likely to use year round for our many other grassroots marketing events. Just a tad too cumbersome to get all the events set up and even still - it's more time tracking and reporting where we need a tool that is specifically geared toward marketing events management end-to-end that would contain some element/module for time tracking.