Bullhorn ATS & CRM

Recruiting and applicant tracking software

4.1 /5 (974 reviews) Write a Review!

Wendy K.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Bullhorn for your Daily Use- Staffing Recruiters Best Friend

Reviewed on 18/08/2016

Bullhorn is both our ATS and CRM. We utilize the tool on a daily basis for Activity Tracking, Reporting, Job Order Management and Candidate Search. The tool has helped bring everyone to a common platform with a common process. This has helped us maintain better performance metrics, overall reporting and candidate engagement.

Pros

Bullhorn is a great tool that is very user friendly and easy to navigate. The time to get a recruiter or an account manager up to speed on the basics of Bullhorn is relatively simple. Getting people to use all the power of Bullhorn is where consistent reminders and training is needed. The tool is great for tracking anything and allows you to forget because you can set reminders to follow up on items, track past emails, etc. The tool really will change how you recruit.

Cons

Bullhorn has lots of great tools out of the box so it is best to explore this before completing too much customization and automations. You may find better out of the box ways to do things versus spending money on customizations that you don't need or use after going live.

Stacey D.

Great ATS, the best one I have used as a Recruiter

Reviewed on 06/12/2019

Bullhorn ATS is overall a great tool for our recruiting team and we enjoy using it. It integrates well with a lot of the other tools we use to improve the candidate experience including Herefish, LinkedIn, TextUs, etc. Wish customer support was a bit stronger with stronger, long-lasting solutions, but overall we like it.

Pros

Integrates with a lot of other software we use like TextUs, Herefish, LinkedIn, LinkedIn Jobs, etc. We also like that it has a lot of capability and functionality, more than other ATS's I have used. It also has a fairly easy to use interface and a lot of training materials, which makes it easy to onboard new recruiters on to our team.

Cons

Customer Support is very unhelpful when we try to add new functionality, suggest Bullhorn updates, or if we have a system issue. We have not been impressed with their problem-solving or timely support.

• Customer Support Software

Would be lost without it...

Reviewed on 25/03/2021

Pros

Bullhorn has helped us streamline considerably. It tracks everything from texts to emails by user and candidate/client.

Cons

There are so many features that are "so close" but not quite there yet. I do believe they will get there but it takes longer than anticipated for improvements to be implemented.

Megan S.

Disappointed - All Talk & No Follow Through

Reviewed on 11/07/2020

I rarely leave poor reviews. However; I was so thoroughly taken in with a software I want to share my experience for future potential users.

The customer service is great from the tech team- they get in touch with you quickly. However; I was often finding work arounds myself, or being advised work arounds instead of having issues resolved (example- The DPA/Non DPA issue- an excel spreadsheet can do this, yet a CRM cannot?)

I was debited on the incorrect date & then when I requested they refund until the due date, I was re-debited again on the correct date. The communication was poor- their billing team are based in the US and there was no acknowledgement of the mistake. My initial consultant chased them down for me, and advised me of their error. Lucky.

The product was oversold. For example; I was advised their 'merge docs' feature would allow me to bull data directly from the 'Overview', 'Work Histories' which later proved to be false.

Finally, when I requested to end my contract & transfer my data (I advised a specific date I needed it, when my CRM would be ready) they advised it would take 15 business days & I was to put no further data in my system during that 15 days, and then gave me my data after 3. I now have no CRM for 4 weeks.

It's just a complete lack of regard, or care about individual customers once you've signed. There is no continuity of care & it's extremely disappointing for me as a customer, & their sales team who did a great job in the beginning.

Pros

- The ability to hashtag consultants, client contacts & candidates
- The appearance is user friendly
- The ability to customise individual views at the consultant level
- The availability of training online
- The ability to customise yourself without the help of the team.

Cons

- It's old & clunky with attempts to modernise its appearance & features.
- The search uses boolean so consultants require training to know how to search, build lists & find candidates & contacts. EG, you write 'Bob' into search, & it won't appear but you'll add an asterisk & it will appear. If you had 'Bob Jane' in the first name, it also won't appear.
- The filters don't work correctly. EG, we have 'DPA' & 'Non DPA' - BH did not have the ability to differentiate between the two using the filter, because they both said 'DPA'. We had to either change the terminology (which is industry standard in the medical field) or use the advanced search rather than the filters.
- The updating of the custom fields is clunky & not intuitive. Adding in multiple job types was limited to 3 (i.e. salary, contract & temp - we have additional types)and each one required individual customizing (fair) which the played havoc if it didn't match up to the master file which overrode the other 3. EG, ALL custom fields were required on the master, and then you'll match up each in the individual job type as required. You'd then just include what was required in the individual job type.
- The migration from our old CRM was poor. One Example- We ended up with thousands of files that were 'New South Wales' which got turned into 'New South Western Australiales. We were refused assistance in fixing this
- It's slow to load
- Clear your cache daily- or things will break
- No ability to add locations.

Mark A.

• Customer Support Software

Why we chose Bullhorn over the company choice

Reviewed on 19/11/2015

Pros

We were encouraged to use a different ATS and chose to pay a little MORE for Bullhorn S for a few reasons:
1. Email is the primary form of communication for many conversations and the ability to be in the database while in Outlook was the number one reason for choosing Bullhorn S
2. Having the ability to create a workflow that matched our needs was a must. We do both direct hire and high volume contracting. We a process that works for both income streams
3. Customer Service - we almost didn't go with Bullhorn because of "rumors" about customer service support. We took the chance and are thrilled that we did. The customer service team usually picks up in a few rings. Even if the first level tech doesn't have the solution, they will get the issue resolved almost always on the first call
4. Set up went very well. The implementation team helped us to configure Outlook and Microsoft Office 365

Cons

Unfortunately the program setup forces you to select creation of emails using either Outlook or within the ATS. We create our emails using Outlook as normal and the emails are logged in the database. BUT if you are doing a mass email or want to use a stored template, it is a little bit of a process to bring up the email editor and to email via the database. That is manageable. The real issue is that often emails sent within the database wind up in SPAM. I have been told that there is NO solution. It means that I must follow up with the email recipient to guarantee receipt.

Karrah K.
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Bullhorn is like a cellular phone - all in the palm of my hand!

Reviewed on 13/09/2019

I have been using Bullhorn for almost a year now - our company has been with the software for at least 5 years and they are doing everything right. At the beginning of this year my organization decided to add Sense Messaging as another way of engaging with our clientele (best decision we've made). These two pieces of software are connected on my platform and have benefited PMC together and on their own too. When we text our clientele through Sense Messaging it automatically is in the database system allowing PMC to keep track of all of the important conversations with our candidates for reference. Bullhorn has solved many business problems with its simplicity also by simply with its ability to communicate with us. The software provides all the information we need to communicate in our industry. Bullhorn has allowed PMC to keep up to date with our clients' needs in positions and our candidates interests and success to meet their goals. Bullhorn is a computer software program progressing with the times of recruitment.

Pros

Bullhorn is like a cellular phone - all in the palm of my hand - well both of my hands technically - click the mouse with my right hand and type with my left hand when need be. Bullhorn is easy to use, easy to read, it's organizational, it gives you the ability to edit and delete incorrect notations and through contact with Bullhorn's Support Services we've been able to have the software edited for an addition of information that has helped us understand our consumers better to meet their needs. What is most loved about Bullhorn on my end as a Front Desk Agent is having the ability to create and edit templates. I am on the phone from 8am - 5pm Monday through Friday speaking to candidates and clients. Through all this beautiful chaos I am also transferring our customers to our recruiters, payroll admins, and directors. With the opportunity to build and create templates, I have been able to color code, have the message set up, ready to go, and tag my coworkers for knowledge all within a matter of seconds whilst assisting someone else at the same time. There is not a perfect experience to dedicate knowledge here as I successfully complete this task every time. Could not ask for a better resourceful and system.

Cons

Every perfect piece of software comes with its defects. No person is perfect and nothing they create is perfect either. Bullhorn is stubborn in the category of taking extra steps. When I receive resumes via email, I can simply parse them in no strings attached. However, if I try to parse a resume that has been sent via fax, the option is not there. As a user, one must add the candidate, save the candidate and then go back and merge if the candidate is already on file. A lot of baby steps but doable when need to be done. When candidates apply through our website, Bullhorn is outstanding and automatically merges the file into our system. Sometimes if the candidate is already in our system, Bullhorn merges the two files together and sometimes the software does not which creates confusion for our notetaking and reach outs. Thankfully knowing this, I am always 100% on the lookout for those doppelganger files and ready to merge them to create less confusion for my coworkers and our clientele.

Jesica B.
  • Industry: Insurance Software

Great for recruiters

Reviewed on 07/03/2019

This platform turned out to be really handy for candidate recruiting. Users should pay special attention to the report functions, as they are really helpful in recruiting. For people who like everything individually organized and neat, it’s a lifesaver.

Pros

- A truly simplistic layout
- Seamless integration of all data from different sources to one complete Bullhorn database.
- Efficient tasklist and search
- Managing client and talent leads has become much easier
- A real time saver
- Contact list is searchable and easy to navigate
An extremely useful service for integrating databases (e.g. client and sales, recruiting data etc). Bullhorn is one of the best CRM’s I have worked with. Simple, clean visuals, intuitive functions, good integration features. Allows synchronization with other programs and tools.
- Customizable, with lots of functions
- Compatible with tons of other software

Cons

- Some problems with user interface, like popups
- Refreshing posts is sometimes delayed, especially if they are close in time
- Small window sizes, requires lots of scrolling action
- Speed – data transmission could be much faster
- Needs a lot of updating and administration (which is honestly the problem of all CRM sofrware)
- Keeps old data which you have to delete manually, or it will interfere with current priorities

• Customer Support Software

Powerful tool, mid level complexity

Reviewed on 01/05/2017

Pros

- Great enterprise implementation team
- Intuitive layout
- Useful data integrity features (ie. any field can be made mandatory)
- Automatic Email inclusion
- Good support (within local AU support scope, US support has been underwhelming)
- SalesDuel

Cons

Built-in reporting is non-existent with two addon options available, the first being a third party who can create reports for you, and another called Canvas - BullHorn's solution to the overall lack of reporting.

Cavnas:
Canvas is an in-house rebuild of Cognos Reporting suite however it has a lot of key features disabled, such as the ability for report creators to Cross-Join when required, edit SQL code to enforce certain report behaviour and some minor inconsistent functionality behaviour.
Any raised issues are handled well by our local AU support, however, the US Canvas development team are rarely able to provide long-term solutions.
As of 1/5/2017, I can't endorse Canvas as a complete or entirely functional product.

Training:
If you are moving from a system like JobAdder where the entire concept is around making the process as simple as possible and are making more fields mandatory, you'll need more than the basic BullHorn supplied training for your users to ensure the transition is smooth.

Data Display:
Some overarching data is unavailable in any form, such as "Last Contacted".
You can find "Last Note Added" and "Last Edited", however, neither of these take into consideration the Outlook Email integration they have in place. Which makes it difficult to determine the last time a contact was actually contacted in any way.
The solutions around this are poor.

Tamara C.

Database management

Reviewed on 06/02/2019

online chat are good, they dont know the more detailed information but will find it out .

Pros

It is easy to navigate, easy to send emails, and add notes to contacts, the overview pages are interactive and provide lots of information in an easy layout. Companies and contacts link easily together. The search functionality is comprehensive, and it is easy to be fairly competent.

Cons

one of my issues is adding notes is to a maximum of 500 records. Sometimes a note needs to added to several thousand which requires creating a lot of lists with the same criteria but excluding each of the lists you have created so far. Pulling off the first list took me 10 minutes it then took me 2 days more to add all the notes. The backend and how it can be manipulated is much less easy to navigate. With goals there is an issue with the way some things are recorded. a note saved to 500 people will only show as 1 note if you do it through batches so it is difficult to get relevant sales stats.

Alex R.
  • Industry: Translation & Localization

Very positive - Adaptive Globaliation

Reviewed on 10/09/2019

I am not part of the decision team for internal software but from what I can see, we have a very happy partnership in place.

Pros

Easy to use, great tool in general. Best recruitment platform on the market.

Cons

stop logging me out after 30 minutes of use.

Jennifer S.

Excellent ATS!

Reviewed on 08/08/2016

I have been using Bullhorn for over 8 years. I train every new hire and it is quick to get new recruiters up and running as the system is very user-friendly and easy to learn. I love that you can easily customize every screen in Bullhorn so that it fits your companies workflow!

Pros

The lists are my favorite feature. They have greatly helped our company. We can filter on any data point in Bullhorn to create available candidate lists for our recruiters and target lists for our sales reps.
Notes can be entered very quickly into Bullhorn on a candidate or clients record. As a result we have been able to reduce our unemployment rate by several percentages saving our company thousands of dollars.

Cons

None! Bullhorn is constantly updating their software and making improvements. I have no complaints.

Ryan M.
  • Industry: Government Relations

Bullhorn Review

Reviewed on 25/11/2019

Pros

The simplicity and the way in which it has integrated with other software that we use, i.e. Sourcebreaker / OneUp.

Cons

It often has crashes and doesn't work as intended during periods of outage.

Katie L.
  • Industry: Banking

Premier Recruiting Software

Reviewed on 07/01/2019

Bullhorn has really helped us reduce our time to fill and post time to interview ratios.

Pros

Bullhorn is a recruiter's best friend. It can handle everything from the Job Post, the applicant tracking, candidate communication / scheduling as well as on-boarding. For a large team working on the same position, it allows us to all be on the same page and keep the process moving forward. The customer service is awesome!

Cons

Some of the reporting features aren't as robust as other platforms and Bullhorn isn't one stop for HR, we use other software for benefits, performance evals, etc. With that said I'd rather have the best ATS and work with industry leaders in other areas, a la carte HR!

Sarah S.

• Customer Support Software

Could be better, not interested in the smaller accoubts

Reviewed on 18/07/2019

I found bullhorn a deterrent to recording information in the main & tended to rely on email & memory. Only when the connection speed was at its very fastest did I find it functional to use.

Pros

Compatibility with broadbean & cv preview.

Cons

Distribution lists, coding, speed, intuition.

Sari V.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

If you make Bullhorn your partner, they will enrich your company

Reviewed on 14/06/2018

I love Bullhorn, not only as a partner but as a company in general. It looks like an amazing place to work too. I feel that it still is not fully equipped to handle the (mainland) Europe market but I am confident that if Bullhorn uses us, the European clients as a partner too, it will work out.

Pros

The possibilities, the flexibility, the constant improvements. Bullhorn thinks with you and even for you to see how your business can get more out of the software and the business.

Cons

When your business is not standard in setup, Bullhorn allows you to change a lot but it can be difficult to manage all the different partners (all the separate costs add up to a big cost)

• Customer Support Software

Bullhorn has great partnerships!

Reviewed on 25/10/2017

Pros

What I love most about Bullhorn is not only the easy interface but also their partnership with vendors. They have a marketplace that allows you find so many great tools to help your business and they all integrate with Bullhorn!

Cons

They have some things that are hard coded that I wish we could change. Also, they tend to tell customers about new features and give a date that it will be live but it usually takes longer than expected. For example, they said the new version would be rolled out in July and when I spoke to them about when we would be getting it they said it would be closer to December.

Phil M.

Reviewed on 10/10/2013

As a Recruiter for Indecon Solutions (now Fahrenheit IT) it has been my pleasure to use the Bullhorn system for over five years. The Bullhorn suite allows us to enter all candidates into a system that may be searched by all the recruiters in the company. It also provides the sales staff a way to capture information on all prospects, clients, and job orders. Bullhorn enables our office to track all job orders from client companies and capture all the activity leading up to the placement of a candidate.

Over the past five years, we have made several requests to Bullhorn to customize the status statement regarding candidates, because we track them from submission to either placement or rejection by the client. The service staff at Bullhorn has worked with us to make the requested changes so that our version of Bullhorn would be a reflection of how we conduct business and how we prefer to see information regarding our candidates. This enables us to see the history quickly for any candidate when considering them for future opportunities. It also provides better insight as to why a client might select one candidate over another, as the details regarding their submissions and interviews can be easily retrieved and reviewed.

Bullhorn is a very flexible system that is easy to use and allows the individual recruiter multiple ways to search for candidates. There have been times when we needed to recover past jobs or candidates and have been able to conduct searches in the system by factors such as a portion of a candidate’s name, job title, client name, or even by a client manager name. Any one of these approaches will result in a select and easy-to-use list that will provide this information.

Bullhorn is easy to use, offers complete flexibility in finding and tracking information about jobs and candidates, and has a service staff that has always been very quick in responding to requests for changes to the system.

Suanny R.

Other ATSs are better!

Reviewed on 23/01/2019

I've been evaluating other ATSs and they provide more customization and features for the same price. Worth doing the research before choosing an ATS!

Pros

Can sort and move columns on lists, can do auto free text on most fields, offers job board integrations, now offer a chat with an specialist option which works!

Cons

Weak Outlook integration, can't mass update fields, don't have a minimum user count, mobile optimized website doesn't work, zip code search doesn't work properly, can't print a task report, technical support is only provided to a couple admin users.

Jordan W.

User-Friendly!

Reviewed on 05/10/2017

Bullhorn is consistently improving their product, which is why they get a 10.

Pros

Bullhorn has a user-friendly interface with customizable features that made it fit our business. The CRM is perfect for the staffing industry and has helped our business improve with some of the available reports. Bullhorn Back Office completely changed our back office efficiency and eliminated a lot of administrative work for our Recruiters.

Cons

Some features are static that we do wish to customize. If the CRM becomes fully custom, it'll be perfect!

Sanjeev I.

BullHorn ATS review

Reviewed on 04/10/2016

Used it extensively with the past company for over 2 year, very easy interface compared with prior ATS used having a single window interface rather than multiple tabs needing to be opened. Not sure of price as another department was handling it but ex-employee have indicated being reasonable for both individual and ability to scale upwards

Pros

Simple interface, ease of navigation. No multiple windows to open and select

Cons

compared to the current ATS I am using (Jobdiva) ability to input years of experience for specific technology, Jobdiva also has something called Mapping for technology arena

Jennie A.

A+A+A+A+F

Reviewed on 11/01/2017

Customer service and ease of use are outstanding what I can not find through the resource center you make it possible for me to understand through the customer support. I love the people. I love the product. If there is a feature not currently available you take it to the developers and low and behold you make it possible. Wow. Awesome product, awesome people.
My number one complaint now is that I paid for my service ahead. Great for you all at Bullhorn you have my money. But my partner left the business and I needed to drop from 2 seats to 1 because I prepaid my account I was screwed out of money. If I was month to month I could have terminated the 1 seat immediately but because I paid ahead. OUCH! It cost me and you all WON big time. Not a fair way to treat a small struggling business. Thanks a lot guys! So, Your financial side is unfair..

That's the reason you guys get three stars for Value! Otherwise, it would be five stars like all the rest.

Pros

AWESOME PEOPLE, AWESOME PRODUCT.

Cons

FINANCIAL - Financial is the side you really need to focus in on.
PRODUCT/SERVICE IMPLEMENTATION - Implementation of new/additional services don't work well which is sad because I truly love the people and love the product. Care for current services is 100% perfect but implementation gets lost in the mix but the money is sure collected for services not rendered.

Paul S.

Flexible ATS for elastic world

Reviewed on 08/06/2017

In general, Bullhorn offers a strong foundation with regards to an ATS platform that's easily adopted by your employees and customizable to fit your business needs.

Pros

1. Strong foundational workflow out of the box, that can be customized with ease when need be.
2. Highly intuitive UI that's easy to adopt for the recruiter or sales type.

Cons

1. The UI shows flashes of brilliance with certain aspects, but lacks uniform functionality across the board.
2. Base package goes the distance, but some needs and wants carry additional cost/spend.

Matt B.

• Customer Support Software

Expensive, but with good cause

Reviewed on 19/07/2018

Bullhorn automates a lot of our processes. It saves my recruiters time which saves my organization money.

Pros

There is no better system for tracking candidates and recruiting in an internal database than Bullhorn. As long as you put in a lot of data on each candidate and appropriately link notes, there's no better platform to utilize for search.

Cons

Setting things up takes some time. If you don't partner closely with the transition team, things are going to get lost in the shuffle.

James B.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Long time Bullhorn User

Reviewed on 01/03/2017

Bullhorn provides a scaleable platform for small and large organizations which allows for a higher return on investment as your firm grows.

Pros

Since Bullhorn is written for the Staffing community the focus and attention to industry usage and workflows positions Bullhorn with a better OOTB experience as compared to a generic ATS/CRM that would require significant customization to get up and running.

Cons

As a legacy large system the streamlining of data sets could be optimized (people record consolidation).

• Industry: Human Resources
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Applicant Tracking System

Reviewed on 02/09/2018

Pros

1. Full function for recruiting, keeps all information intact from parsing, screening, endorsment and placement.

2. It is great to use for multi tasking. Can open several jobs at once, can pull up multiple candidates

3. One great feature of this software would be their tear sheet. Can make a list private or public of candidates in certain location, skills or qualities that can be used for future references. You can also use this tear sheet to send multiple emails at once.

4. Bullhorn, gives you flexibility with integration. This also serves as accuracy in documentarion. If all tools are integrated, however you interact with a candidate thru phone, email or text all these will be put in on file automatically.

5. You can also open a job, and see similar jobs at the bottom of the page o look for other opportunities with the same end client

6. It also provides variety of ways to save a candidate. Either drag and drop, copy and paste or download the file. It also offers bullhorn accelerator. Where it can download profile straight from your job boards. If you want to save up with space in your drive.

Cons

1. Though Bullhorn is a very useful tool, it is never perfect. It has latency every now and then and at some point misses to capture what you have saved.