• Customer Support Software

I've been using it for years, wouldn't replace it

Reviewed on 09/02/2018

Pros

Extremely clean interface and easy to pick up with limited training makes sharing the platform with clients a lot easier. Support has also always been quick.

Cons

Perfect for project management but lacks integration to repositories for git (previous version had it), needs automatic backup for self hosted version

• Customer Support Software

Probably the most cost effective PM tool we used so far

Reviewed on 12/02/2019

Very good user experience across the board. We liked ActiveCollab UI, and feature set, with pricing that was in a one time fee manner at that time. For just a fraction of yearly cost of some other tools, we managed to get ActiveCollab and used it for more than one year during the period of our intensive growth. This is still one of best experiences we had from perspective of PM tools.

Pros

At the moment of purchase of ActiveCollab, this was the far most cost effective solution we managed to find online.

Cons

We had some minor issues in the version upgrades (e.g. for plugins/modules).

Chrystale T.
  • Industry: Graphic Design Software

• Customer Support Software

This PMGMT tool was a game changer for our studio workflow. Extremely happy with the results.

Reviewed on 12/02/2018

Cleaner workflow, project organization and time management.

Pros

Simple user interface, easy to add projects and templates, team can enter hours with ease [online or using the AC timer], visual tracking of projects in calendar and reviewing hours and costs is a breeze. Also, setting up sub-tasks and timelines is intuitive. This has been a great addition to our workflow and a refreshing change from the previous clunky system we were using.

Cons

There's a bit of repetition needed when creating sub-tasks clearly if you're avid users of the Timer [which we are]. If you don't add the client name before the task it gets' lost with other tasks. Be great to be able to add time [not just date] for due dates.

Jelena H.

Very satisfied

Reviewed on 26/01/2018

Better organisation.

Pros

Before using it, I wasn't aware of how many thing I have to handle. It simplifies communication within the team and clients, which is very important for everything is in one place. Keeps things in order.

Cons

Calendar should be better. I cannot choose different colour by clients, so when there are few projects overlaping, all of them are in the same colour which makes it difficult to keep track, so we need to use other program for that. It puts colour depending on the status of the project (new, in progres...) - not good.

• Customer Support Software

Easiest to use PM tool out there!

Reviewed on 02/04/2018

ease of use, great ui/ux

Pros

My team has used many PM tools, but AC by far is the one that they ACTUALLY use on a daily basis. This is because the UI/UX is so uncomplicated, and the customizable views appeal to left and right-brained users (Card system vs. lists vs. calendar views).

Cons

My team would love to see the ability to assign a task to more than 1 person, and also to create project 'groups.' We have 2 sides to the company and would like to group each department's projects into their own group vs. all of them being lumped together.

Joshua D.

Reviewed on 12/04/2019

I don't have to think about using the software; it is very intuitive and does what I need it to do quickly and efficiently.

Pros

The search function is very intelligent and helps me find information quickly.

Cons

The people/ company management information could be more robust. I have sent them a feature request regarding this and they quickly responded and are looking into adding that capability.

Julie N.

Minimal Design and Easy-to-Use Functionality

Reviewed on 10/10/2017

The ability to create templates and clearly define the tasks for specific project is by far the best part of the software. That way when you start a new "Website Design" for an example, you can make sure all the tasks are already loaded in there and assigned to the right people right from the start of the project, making sure you don't miss out on anything. So, in general, organization

Pros

The best part of Active Collab is just how clean and minimal the program is. It is super easy to navigate the platform and figure out where everything is. I also enjoy the ability to send Invoices within it. I can't tell you how nice it is to not have to bug accounting to create a simple invoice that should only take a few moments.

Cons

The thing I like least about Active Collab is that you can't add emails to the platform in order to keep track of conversation topics. I understand the reason behind this might be because you can invite clients in to the software and communicate with them within it, however, I like the option of having both because some clients are more likely to email rather than to learn a new software and make notes and place comments within it.

Maya O.

• Customer Support Software

Great collaboration tool for digital agencies

Reviewed on 06/04/2021

Very happy, keeps our agency together, track hours, and enables all needs we have to keep in one system.

Pros

Project organization, chat and reporting, hours tracking, super great support, listening to their customer needs and really implementing suggestions and updating this software frequently.

Cons

Custom time selection, but my feature request has been already heard, accepted and implemented by AC dev team.

• Customer Support Software

A seamless experience for managing multiple projects and tasks in the SEO industry

Reviewed on 09/02/2018

Time management and project management made a lot easier. Possibility to add all resources needed / required for a project in one place.

Pros

The fact that you can manage very easily multiple tasks in categories and edit them. Also, the time and task review reports are very useful for a complete overview of the work.

Cons

The fact that I cannot live track the time under a task directly in the projects interface and that I cannot add meetings in the Agenda section.

Greg D.
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

Excellent for managing web projects

Reviewed on 18/10/2018

I settled on using ActiveCollab to manage website development projects after testing numerous. On the rare occasions that I've had questions, customer support is very quick to respond.

Pros

ActiveCollab is very easy to use and helps me manage projects, project documents and project communications all in one place. Best of all it reduces emails and the issues that arise when trying to find the latest version of a document that has been emailed multiple times. It's easy to keep selected team members updated about particular tasks and they can each determine how often they want to receive updates.

Cons

I can't really think of any cons about ActiveCollab.

• Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

I have never been so organized!

Reviewed on 18/10/2018

Keeps me organized and helps me prioritize my to-do list!

Pros

I love this software because it allows my supervisor to add tasks to my to-do list when I am not around for her to tell me in person. It organizes everything and I can add tasks myself as well. Active Collab is always open on my computer!

Cons

The one thing I don't like is that my recurring tasks that happen every day​, excluding weekends, still shows up on the weekends and I have to go in a delete them or mark them as done.

Tziry W.

• Customer Support Software

Active Collab Has upgraded our operation of business to a more professional standard.

Reviewed on 12/02/2018

Organization and follow up on projects to make sure nothing gets lost between the cracks.

Pros

Active has been amazing for our company, the ability to create tasks and sub tasks for each of our client projects has organized our way of operation. We can then assign each task to its appropriate department and assign who needs to work on it. Furthermore, we keep track of notes and discussion added to each tasks. Recurring tasks is also something very useful.
Active Collab is the best thing that happened to us!! We've been advising many clients to start using this software.

Cons

One thing is that the 'Search' option is not very detailed..

Justine W.
  • Industry: Government Administration

• Customer Support Software

Our municipality is using this as a tool for employee task management and project management

Reviewed on 12/02/2018

Our everyday management of the municipality runs through this software. We are better able to make staff more accountable and keep projects on track by assigning tasks with timelines to specific employees. We are also able to pull reports to assist with yearly reviews for our employees to see how much work was completed throughout the year.

Pros

It is easy to use, all of our employees can use it easily, and the fact that it has an app for our employees to use in the field off their devices is very efficient

Cons

The reporting feature I feel could use a little work. When you first look at it, it appears a little overwhelming. It is functional and does the job, but if you were to work on improving the software, I would recommend starting there.

Ginny H.

• Customer Support Software

Packs a lot for the pricing. We are super satisfied with the product and excellent customer...

Reviewed on 09/02/2018

Pros

The software is easy to use and easy for others to figure out. We have a campus like environment and are able to work on projects for various departments without having to have so many meetings. All skill levels have been able to easily figure out how to utilize the product. It's been a real life-saver for our department.

Cons

I would love to see the completed projects being able to sort and view better. It gets hard to go back to a job and see what we've done before or re-open. Also, copying the entire job itself would be great.

Robert R.

• Customer Support Software

We're extremely heavy users. Our team of 25 live in ActiveCollab as a creative mandate. It...

Reviewed on 06/07/2018

Healthier and happier team... creativity up due to managers and admins kept at bay. Because they feel like they can see everything that's happening with long term and short term projects, a freedom for creatives to be creative has been a very welcomed change. We're faster at what we do and quality has gone way up. Efficiency is becoming our norm.

Pros

MOST: The desktop version. Structurally and organizationally sound. Streamlines workflow and allows multiple leads to see the workload and run reports on their various departments. Really helps with tracking estimated time for the individual and their part in the project. Communication is up and the stress of the communication is way way down. Creatives have more freedom and administrators and managers feel like they have the control they need. Love the Command+K shortcut we found today. We're still learning how to customize it to our team. It has made dealing with 60 national brands much easier and has put an end to the grade school feeling of walking up to the gigantic whiteboard to move color blocks around.

Cons

Notifications - We believe if a Project is set up and has multiple tasks that run linearly, we should be able to connect them and have a notification sent to the next person when the person before them has completed their task - An automated "passing of the baton" type of thing.

Andrew F.

• Customer Support Software

This is the Project Management tool you've been searching for!

Reviewed on 06/07/2018

I've tried at least 20 different Project Management tools, but they were all either too expensive or simply not enjoyable to use.

ActiveCollab saves me hours every week that I would normally spend searching for documents, keeping track of tasks, and double-checking things with clients.

It also saved my sanity an email-based PM system is not mentally sustainable!

I use it for work, and also for side-projects: learning new things, centralizing my store of ideas to ensure that they get implemented...the list of uses is endless.

Pros

ActiveCollab is far less expensive than BaseCamp and more visually appealing than the likes of Zoho or Trello. This makes it ideal for freelancers (myself included), but it could work for larger teams just as well.

It's available everywhere I need it: the web, my Mac, and my phone.

The overall workflow is insanely simple, yet powerful, allowing you to create new clients, projects, tasks and sub-tasks with ease.

Every time you find yourself thinking "hmm...I wonder if ActiveCollab does this..." whatever you try works just as you expected it to. That's a sign of really good UI/UX thinking.

Their customer support is fantastic, as well. All the people I've talked to have been real, friendly humans never bots or clueless outsourced drones.

Cons

The Mac app is still being worked on, and it has a few startup bugs, but works fantastically, otherwise.

• Customer Support Software

After extensive research, our team settled on AC for its simple interface and robust structure.

Reviewed on 09/02/2018

Pros

- Simple, clean UI
- Easy to learn
- Clear structure (teams, projects, categorized task lists) that works well for us
- Ability to sort things in the My Work list, so I can arrange my priorities for the week and then easily reorder things as tasks are completed.
- Integrates well with Dropbox
- Powerful customizable reports (ex. can easily see what got done in the past week on project A, or can get a clear portrait of what employee B did for the last month)

Also, when you're in the middle of writing something (ex. a comment or a note) and get interrupted, it *retains* what you wrote (even if you didn't submit it and no one else can see it). This has saved me so much effort, since it's hard to juggle doing things with documenting them.

Cons

- The Asana importer didn't work for me. This resulted in a huge amount of effort migrating projects and tasks by hand.
- AC emails you every time you're added to a project, and you need to be part of a project to see what's going on in it - we use this for workplace transparency, so there are a lot of projects and the notifications are irritating
- Can't easily transform a task into a project
- The My Work interface doesn't automatically refresh when there's an update on one of my projects, so I can be in AC all day and still miss some notifications (unless I enable email notifications, which I dislike).

Tony P.

Great task management application

Reviewed on 26/01/2018

Pros

Activecollab are great, we were previously using 3 different Basecamp accounts for our sister companies. Basecamp was becoming a nightmare, it's ugly and the support is bad. We frequently have projects running over as an example, usually as we are waiting on information so we need to manually update every task deadline (Slow and painful) Activecollab allows selecting the project and bulk updating the deadline on the tasks, or in a list view one by one which is quick and easy.

We opted for the self hosted version and use an amazon AWS Elastic Search Service for searching. this is so much cheaper than what Basecamp was costing and so much more user friendly. Anyone big plus factor is, we were able to customise the software a bit (Against their guidelines) to give it some branding for our company by including an additional CSS file, we have to add this after every update but it's worth it.

Cons

Lack of built in customisation
Email sending is limited in regards to daily reports etc
Requires Elastic Search which is on another server/service, whilst not a huge deal it would have been nice to have a local native search and a high performance option using Elastic Search.

• Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Great Product, Bad Support

Reviewed on 09/02/2018

Pros

ActiveCollab is very easy to use. With just a few clicks, you can have a new project created right away. Time tracking, invoicing, payment processing and many other features add an already large depth of features.

Cons

Support is quite bad, at least for the self-hosted release of the application. There is no ticketing support system, and instead you have to chat with staff through the activecollab.com site to be able to get issues logged. You never get professional assistance through chat. They copy and paste your chat into their internal support system. You're then at their mercy to reply back via email. If and when they do write you back to your email address, be prepared for long followups to your replies.

When features are broken in ActiveCollab, if a fix is not on their roadmap to get the problem resolved, it will take a long time, if ever, to get the problem fixed.

Elastic Search is not a great feature for self-hosted AC builds. However, search has always been horrible with AC since it's early days.

Sinoun C.

• Customer Support Software

Great, but a lot of improvements can be made.

Reviewed on 12/12/2018

Overall, I like ActiveCollab, but I want to so bad love it more. There is a lot of potential with AC and room for improvement, and I really hope they listen to people's suggestions and needs! Either way, I do highly recommend ActiveCollab, especially if you're a web designer like me who manages hundreds of sites.

Pros

Before I decided to go with ActiveCollab a few years ago, I researched and tried all the project management softwares I could find. I ended up going with ActiveCollab for a number of reasons.

One, their interface is simple, practical, and easy on the eye. I found other project management softwares trying to hard and it essentially complicated simple things. Also, I loved how my projects can be displayed and searched. I know this sounds trivial, but when you manage hundreds of projects (websites), I need an interface that works for me. Their interface works perfectly for someone with my needs. I constantly have to go back and forth on so many notes for projects and ActiveCollab has made it user-friendly for me to do this.

Second, ActiveCollab had awesome customer service when I had any issues or questions. This was a big plus because I then knew I was in good hands.

Third, they had some add-ons other softwares didn't have so it was nice to have features I wanted to use all in one place, like time tracking and invoicing.

Fourth, it was reasonably priced.

Cons

While I went with ActiveCollab, I am still frustrated with some of their features:

One, I use notes A LOT. Their notes interface design looks like something from the 90's.

Two, while they have the invoicing option available, it's sub-par. There are a lot of things they can improve with their invoicing. I wish I could use it, but it's just very limited. An example of a limitation is that you can't even enter or send an invoice without "inviting" the client to join ActiveCollab. I tried testing an invoice by putting an email manually because they claimed you could, but nothing gets sent, unless I "invite" someone into my account. This is silly. Another issue I have with the invoicing is that it shows "Active Collab" as the sender and you do NOT have the option to change this. Kinda stupid.

Three, you only have a measly 3 ways to categorize or filter projects: Client, Category, and Label. This can be very limiting depending on what you're doing.

Great all-in-one solution

Reviewed on 17/05/2019

Our team manages all of our projects through ActiveCollab, and that includes budgeting, tasks, and time management. Without it, we'd be lost in a sea of emails and Slack messages.

Pros

ActiveCollab is quite feature rich. We were able to consolidate multiple pieces of software into one.

Cons

Some of the menus are hard to find and I'd really like to see a comprehensive calendar approach to tasks, vs just per project.

Uroš Z.

• Customer Support Software

Very easy to use but packs a big punch

Reviewed on 25/07/2019

Our overall experience is absolutely positive. We get to plan out our projects, go through them daily, track everything, and at the end exactly know what to invoice the client. It really covers all the basis that we need in our process and we love it for that.

Pros

I really appreciate the simplicity and the power behind the features it delivers. On the surface, it offers just a list of tasks me and my team manage throughout our design and development process, but under the hood it offers task dependencies, estimates, time tracking and many other cool things that make it deceptively powerful.

Cons

Probably the speed of the app on some larger projects. It's lightning fast for everything small to medium, but on larger projects it can take a while to load everything.

Beautiful design meets functionality

Reviewed on 26/05/2021

All in all, I am happy with ActiveCollab and glad to have discovered it. The support is ultra quick to respond via live chat and very friendly and helpful.

Pros

The very first thing I would like to highlight is ActiveCollab's great, minimalist design. It is one of the most beautiful UI I have ever used. Everything is clearly and logically laid out and it doesn't take many clicks to get to the desired item.
The project management is also simply beautiful, so you don't lose track of everything. Tags and statuses can be customized and the integrated calendar provides an overview of upcoming tasks including deadlines. Task lists and to-dos can be added to each project and sorted by priority. The time tracking is also a nice feature, so you don't have to rely on another program.

Cons

Currently, I still find creating customers a bit too cumbersome. I first have to navigate to the "Contacts" item and create the respective company before I can assign a project. I would like to be able to add a project directly from the list of the corresponding company/contact without having to switch back and forth in the menu. An integration with HubSpot would also make work easier if contacts are constantly synchronized, because with HubSpot I always have all contacts automatically.

Response from Active Collab

Thank you for your feedback! With the current design of the app, you can add people invited to your account directly to the project. If you need to assign a company a project, you would need to first have a company created in the People section and users added to the company. As for the integration, you can use Zapier to link ActiveCollab and HubSpot. Fore more detailed instructions please feel free to contact our support teams at [email protected]

Matthew J.

ActiveCollab is one of the easiest PM tools to migrate to

Reviewed on 17/06/2021

Overall, I really like the product and I think for any team that has been plagued with trying to find the "right solution" to their PM needs, either overwhelmed by more technical PM tools or underwhelmed by lightweights, then ActiveCollab slots in nicely as being a very viable, competitive solution. You just have to ask yourself if the pricing is worth it.

Pros

There are actually two PM tools that I absolutely love - Nifty and Ora, however, as much as I love them, they're a bit too "technical" for the layman to use. If you're not heavily invested in software development, they can be overwhelming, but ActiveCollab offers a really clean UI and superb UX that make onboarding new, casual users a breeze.

The features offered in ActiveCollab are on par with the industry and mean that you can grow into the product as a team without worrying about boundaries for the most part. I only say "the most part" because I'm on a lower tier plan that doesn't include things like Invoicing (something I use a different product for anyway).

Cons

While I guess it can be seen as a "smart" business decision, I think gating things like Invoicing behind a pay wall doesn't feel great as an end user. It's just the psychological aspect of it all, right?
If you said I had to pay $7.50/month for a plan and then an additional $3/month for Invoicing, I would be less inclined versus just being asked to pay $10/month for everything.

I think the pigeon-holing of Invoicing being behind a plan that is also a price per member can also be a crux because the functionality doesn't really change between a 2 person operation and a 200 person operation, but the two would pay a crazy amount of difference ($6 vs. $600) just for Invoicing.

Aleksandar I.

• Customer Support Software

Perfect Project management tool.

Reviewed on 04/03/2020

ActiveCollab is one of the best, if not the best project management tool that I have ever used and I have jumped from one to another tool for different projects and project types.

If offers so many features, perfect dashboard, milestone preview, calendar, planner, contact details, time tracking and much more.

While it is perfect for managing many different types of projects, this is still not the perfect tool for managing software development projects. The only reason for that would be, there is no (or that was not back then) an integration with Git or other version of control system. It was simply a missing feature back then.
I truly hope that nowadays the ActiveCollab team managed to improve and integrate such feature, but talking 6-7 years ago, that was the only downside that I can say about it. If for some reason that is still not available and you are into software development business, look for something else like Asana or Bitbucket.

Pros

Great dashboard, different types of reports, milestone preview, calendars, time tracking tool are just a few of the features that make this software irreplaceable tool when it comes to project management.

Cons

Lack of integration with Git or another version of control system.