Simple and extensive

Reviewed on 21/07/2020

It was very good to us during 6 years.

Pros

Web used Active Collab during several years in our servers. The database structure is very simple and allow us to create dashboards with user data.

Cons

Lack of features like kanban and of user interface improvements during updates

• Industry: Printing

• Customer Support Software

A/C has been a game changer for us. We are using it a bit outside of its intended scope but it...

Reviewed on 09/02/2018

Highly focussed team members. Remote work flexibility. Collaboration. Time Management. Quality Management. Data Management. Targeted and SMART Goals. Internal Motivation. Trust.

Pros

The platform makes communicating with team members a breeze. We have a multitude of projects and tasks within the three departments - A/C helps keep everything organized and on track. LOVE the landing screen "My Work". The calendar view is awesome for our morning meetings. It is great that we can filter by person or project on the calendar. It's a robust feature that other platforms did not have. Really enjoy the notifications when I mention a team member. The robust area within a project including Tasks List, Discussions, Files, notes, Time, Expenses, Activity is great. Not only does it encourage collaboration it fully supports remote work. On the task list, we can drag/drop tasks. Filter by assignees, tasks lists, due dates, or completed tasks. You can also review the overall project progress. A/C has some great reporting features. I like how we can star projects. Simple features like that are NOT overlooked in the A/C platform.

Time tracking, invoicing, and estimates functions look great. We haven't used them yet but we will eventually. I appreciate the pricing. The customer support is quick and responsive. Our team has embraced the platform and I feel we will continue to use it for years to come. I would recommend the platform to others.

Cons

Disclaimer: We use it a bit outside of its intended purpose. Our group is Marketing, Web Development, and IT. Although there are a ton of project-based objectives within the departments there are some marketing functions that are not project based. This is the biggest thing I've got it's not a deal breaker. Maybe extend the software to include flexible user accounts or setup different types of project areas. That isn't necessarily project oriented.

Minors:
Recurring tasks are a bit of a pain to setup the first time
Multiple different calendars confuse people sometimes and they end up creating a calendar for themselves.
Maybe we could setup tasks requiring a sign-off? Maybe this is already a feature and I don't know how to do it yet?

Ulric A.

Collaborative working made easy

Reviewed on 18/11/2019

Pros

It's a great Project Management System. We moved from a legacy system and had prerequisites for our agency: project & task management, people/roll management and time management. It does these with ease. Then it layered great collaborative working.

Cons

The recently launched "workload" feature is an add-on additional cost. As a SaaS the competition is fierce for features and benefits. I personally think this should have been part of their bundle, not additional.

• Industry: Higher Education Software
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

Active Collab is helpful in keeping everyone on the same page and up to date on tasks

Reviewed on 15/02/2019

Overall, I really like ActiveCollab as a project management tool. We have been able to onboard folks to it quickly and again, I like to have one place that I can go and see all my active projects and current tasks. You are also able to see past projects and tasks.

Pros

I like that I can go one place and see all my tasks for the projects I am a part of. It is easy to tag people and the software is pretty intuitive. It allows many people to be part of the big picture and stay up to date on the progress of projects. It also cuts down on the number of emails I need to send because I can follow up on items within the program and tag people.

Cons

The customer support often leaves something to be desired. When issues arise it is not usually a quick fix and when Active Collab is down, our project management comes to a halt because this is the key to our success. The everyday support for quick answers is fine, but when major issues arise the solutions are not always quick.

Joseph H.

• Customer Support Software

This has been the perfect solution for our project management needs. We do everything here.

Reviewed on 16/01/2018

More efficient project management. More time spent on work, less time searching for files or waiting on emails.

Pros

It has the sophistication we need and remains very easy to use. I have tried nearly every other project management software out there, and this one makes the most sense to me. It allows us to effectively collaborate with clients, and it gives us complete control over what can be seen and accessed. We use it for time tracking as well. It connects with a number of other services including Quickbooks. They really seem to listen to their users. I have asked for things and have seen them implemented. Overall, it is a great solution for us, and I do recommend it to anyone looking to better manage their projects.

Cons

I did like a little more flexibility in the license levels. It would be nice to pay by the user when we need extra users rather than have to bump up to a level that many more users than we currently need.

Sergey D.
  • Industry: Public Relations & Communications

• Customer Support Software

Clean and pleasant user interface with most of functionality that we need

Reviewed on 09/02/2018

It is our primary task tracker that we use for each and every project we work on.

Pros

1. Nice and easy-to-use interface. No issues with using it for several hours a day.
2. Several nice feeds: global (across all projects), project-wide and personal.
3. Ability to estimate and then track time for a given task.
4. We are an agency and our clients are REALLY NOT eager to use various task-trackers that different agencies push onto them. Thankfully, you can respond to any ActiveCollab comment via email so our clients do not even need to open ActiveCollab to collaborate with us. Meanwhile, we have all messages and comment in a nice and clean order, all inside our comfy ActiveCollab interface.

Cons

At some point we decided to move to a self-hosted version of ActiveCollab. By that point we've been using ActiveCollab for a while and our database (including all the files) was about 150GB. Unfortunately, it took about 6 weeks (from 16/10/2017 to 30/11/2017) for the guys over at ActiveCollab to provide us with a link to download our data.

Chris V.
  • Industry: Railroad Manufacture

• Customer Support Software

ActiveCollab is Basecamp, but better and cheaper

Reviewed on 27/11/2018

Overall, this is a major tool for the day-to-day operation of my business. Support is at least average, functionality is fairly complete and mature, and it is a pleasure to use.

Pros

I started using ActiveCollab back when it was open source and contributed to the code. Since then it has matured a lot. It is a great over-all solution for project management, communication, time management, and even invoicing. The interface is well-thought-out and has few glitches.

Cons

The reporting functionality leaves a bit to be desired, but gets the job done. As others have mentioned, the search functionality is not great and setting up Elastic Search for the self-hosted version is a bit involved. Also, the mobile apps are not great.

Tracie P.

• Customer Support Software

The flexibility of ActiveCollab makes this an all round fantastic business tool

Reviewed on 08/07/2018

ActiveCollab has increased my productivity, my organisation and decreased the sheer volume of clutter that used to be on my desk

Pros

The ability to view information a variety of ways enables each project to be completed according to need.
The flexibility of reports
The fantastic customer service you can tell they put the customer first and genuinley care about you getting the most from the software
The best thing about ActiveCollab however, is the ability to handle general admin tasks along side projects, something very few project managers allow for

Cons

The UI the software really needs a little colour, I know this is a little thing but I also know it is important to some people.
Although the android app works well, I have a personal preference for seeing my task lists on a homescreen widget not having to access through an icon

Tamara W.
  • Industry: Maritime

• Customer Support Software

Easy in use and very practical. One of the best PM-tools i've ever worked with.

Reviewed on 09/02/2018

I find it very easy to work with. I have already adviced people to use it, because I really like to work with it. It's also not expensive, which I find a very important asset.

Pros

It allows you to make different projects and within the projects itself you have tons of options. Also, you can make tasks and subtasks and assign them to someone, which I find very usefull, certainly when working with a lot of people. The billing-tool is also very easy. I've been working with ActiveCollab for a while now, and it's by far one of the best project management tools I have used.

• Customer Support Software

Used well, this is all you need to keep an eye on business

Reviewed on 10/02/2018

Pros

I like the fact that everything is contextually linked, you can dive into a task from a calendar, report, email - anything really.
As a manager it's great for checking workload and distributing tasks efficiently. I've been using ActiveCollab for a while now in different organisations, so much so I recommended we get the self-hosted version.

Cons

The inability to email direct to other modules like conversations and files unlike Basecamp which does allow it. That and not being able to add tasks from the calendar. That would be awesome.

Luc-philippe P.

ActiveCollab

Reviewed on 06/03/2019

When we were looking for a tool to help us manage our small business, many tools were complicated or over priced for just what we needed. ActiveCollab was perfect in price and functionality.

Pros

It allows my team to collaborate easy and get work done with.

Cons

I would like to control some of the notification features more. For example, I'd like to disable/modify when the Daily report is sent out and it would be great if there's an option where members of a project that are subscribers can get a notification of an update and not all the details.

Jayden L.

• Customer Support Software

Fast, user-friendly, a core part of our teamwork

Reviewed on 10/03/2018

I use ActiveCollab to manage my business and personal tasks and goals, and it's invaluable for our team's collaboration.

Pros

It's fast, user-friendly, and intuitive. It supports teamwork within our web design company, and the support is amazing.

Love that there's a mobile app and a desktop timer app to keep track of certain task's time.

Cons

I'm honestly struggling to think of anything. Perhaps the search area could remember previous searches when you click in it, but that's really an advanced thing that I just thought of today.

Kevin B.

• Customer Support Software

We have been using ActiveCollab for about 5 mo to manage our projects. It's helped us...

Reviewed on 13/02/2018

Pros

It's easy to use and has a lot of features for the price. It has been very reliable and has great recovery features such as saving incomplete comments if one navigates away from the task and later comes back.

Cons

Subtasks are pretty limited in scope, and it's not easy to convert a task to a subtask and vice versa. Sometimes when we setup a project, we just want to get everything in there as a task. Later when we want to refine the tasks into higher level/lower level (basically create subtasks from existing tasks) we end up not using subtasks because we would lose all of our comments and other meta data that may be saved to the task as a top-level task.

Adam W.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

A really helpful tool for time, resource and team cost analysis

Reviewed on 12/02/2018

Pros

We use ActiveCollab in a fairly basic way when compared to the layers of functionality it offers. We use it track time spent by individuals in the team across the many projects we work on. This helps us to accurately surcharge team costs back to our stakeholders and plan resources efficiently.

Key benefits of the tool in this regard include;

The ease and flexibility of creating projects and assigning to team members.
The ease with which a 'cost' can be assigned to each individual
The flexible reporting capability and ease with which the raw data can be exported for detailed analysis.

Justin H.
  • Industry: Higher Education Software
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

ActiveCollab Project Management

Reviewed on 22/10/2019

Pros

My team requires daily collaboration and project management where 3-4 teams are working on different components of the same project. This tool is an excellent and intuitive way to collaborate and track timelines on our larger projects. It has been significantly better than our previous tool (Basecamp 3)

Cons

The notes tool is not quite up to snuff compared to other tools, and this might be a deal breaker for some uses.

Guy S.
  • Industry: Graphic Design Software

• Customer Support Software

Great product and features for the price

Reviewed on 21/02/2019

Overall, I've loved AC. Coupe hiccups a year ago, but they are good about hopping on things and addressing issues.

Pros

Love the fact that I can pretty much do soup-to-nuts with AC. I especially love the estimates and invoicing; makes keeping things in one place easy!

Cons

I'd like to be able to set up more complex roles and responsibilities and add people as sub-contractors, give them only certain abilities, allocate a pay model for them and report on their role.

Nemanja V.
  • Industry: Design

Amazing project management tool

Reviewed on 12/01/2017

We've been in a search for a long time trying to find a PM tool for our design agency. We've tried Asana, Trello & Active Collab and trial each of them for some time. Active Collab was a huge winner. Tracking tasks, expenses, time & working with clients is simply astonishing and they've built user interface which is unbelievably easy to use. (If we take into consideration that most of the PM tools have the hard time to stay simple due to the huge amount of content).
Active Collab addresses the key issues in project management and brings your agency messy things into order!

Pros

The way how everything is built and organised. It's simple, and if you need additional features, you just add them via add-ons.

Cons

none

Tod w. D.

Great Alternative to Basecamp

Reviewed on 20/03/2019

We are very happy with ActiveCollab and how involved it lets our clients be within the project and our ability to track our time spent on each project. A great improvement over Basecamp which its​ capabilities were much more limited. Would definitely recommend.

Pros

What we like most is the time tracking for projects and the ability for our clients to​ upload files to the project.

Cons

Would like a Slack like feature to be able to communicate without​ email.

• Industry: Publishing

Reliable, effective, and invaluable

Reviewed on 09/02/2018

Pros

Active Collab is easy to use for all types (business, tech, etc.) of users in our organization. It has all of the features that we need to effectively manage our enterprise software development efforts. We're enjoying the addition of recurring tasks!

Cons

We'd like to see more features at the sub-task level, such as due date and label. They're not necessary, but they would be a nice to have!

Sonet C.

• Customer Support Software

It allows me to manage all my projects and teams collaborated in one place.

Reviewed on 29/01/2018

Pros

The fact that you can use it anywhere, even on your phone, and can take it anywhere you go, and are kept up to date with all projects at the same time.
We also use the Estimates/Invoices a lot, and helps us keep track of payments.

Cons

The Reports section can be set up to have more detailed in depth reports, that can be exported to be mailed to management.

Alessandro D.

Gets the job done.

Reviewed on 06/02/2018

Pros

Everything is in one place. Very easy to manage day to day tasks and long term projects.
It's also very convenient that you can add the hours for a certain project/task.

Cons

The fact that I can't set deadlines to subtasks. I set up projects as tasks under headings such as "pamphlets", but under the specific task, I set up subtasks such as "get translation". It would be much more convenient to have deadlines for the subtasks as well as the main task (which currently exists)

Kali M.

• Customer Support Software

I use it exclusively for work and it's super helpful.

Reviewed on 26/01/2018

Helpful messaging/file sharing and easier project management.

Pros

Threads are really good for us to organize our projects/conversations. Google Drive compatibility has been helpful as well. I like how customizable it is for each individual user

Cons

Mine tends to crash extremely frequently around the time updates become available. I have issues with my mobile app sending my messages multiple times. I would like for it to be more compatible with gmail.

Wojciech S.

• Customer Support Software

Very good modern project management tool

Reviewed on 14/04/2017

I was using Active Collab to coordinate work of 25 people team across different countries. It was extremely easy to use, notify people about outstanding tasks as well as track the time they were spending on those. We also had a bug-tracking system that helped us properly manage all outstanding issues and during debugging process.

Pros

Cons

none, really

Bryan S.
  • Industry: Information Services

Nice tool for broad array of uses

Reviewed on 21/02/2019

This is a great tool for tracking tasks, time and organization of all the relevant details. We use it as the primary means to track client time and its been spot on. The collaborative features are solid and the ability to store everything in a single location regarding a project is a huge help.

Pros

I love the clean interface and ease of task grouping and organization.

Cons

The API information, while available, is somewhat lacking and a bit outdated at times.

Naveed ahmed J.

• Customer Support Software

overall best . just a tiny few bugs that got fixed when we reported the bugs to them .

Reviewed on 07/12/2017

stream lined management, task alignment and management . and time tracking to some extent.

Pros

easy to use , labels are a great way to manage the priorities. lists help a lot with task delegation and the comments are also helpful . subtasks can be assigned too which is a great help .

Cons

really wanted to have images in subtasks and tasks description . and if the image attachment can be just drag and drop will be perfect.