Internet based backup solution

4.1/5

147 Software options

David M.

• Customer Support Software

Carbonite for personal or small business

Reviewed on 11/03/2021

Complete system restoration was a huge problem solver. Also real time continuous synched back up helped immensely for incidents such as accidental deletion.

Pros

The product was easy to implement and configure. The best features were continuous synchronous backup, and backup with encryption. It also had a feature to back up the entire system that could be used to restorer after a hardware failure.

Cons

The features were never a problem, however the pricing model changed significantly that made the prodcut unaffordable to my business and my clients.

Acronis Cyber Backup

Reasons for Choosing Carbonite

The pricing model changed, and it exceeded the budget allocated.

Reasons for Switching to Carbonite

Pricing was the best and Carbonite contained all of the features I was looking for.

Response from OpenText

Thank you for leaving us a review. I'm sorry to hear that our pricing model was not to your satisfaction. Please reach out to our sales team to see if we can work something out: https://www.carbonite.com/contact-us

Darell B.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Carbonite is a Valuable Tool

Reviewed on 27/08/2020

I have been using Carbonite for Years and the Customer Service is 5 star and the software will auto backup all your data all day long just set it and forget it.

Pros

I have used Carbonite for a long time and recommend to all my business customers because it is the most reliable backup on the market and easy to use.

Cons

The pricing is a little expensive but it is a Great Product

Acronis Cyber Backup

Reasons for Switching to Carbonite

After reading the reviews of Carbonite it was customer after customer satisfaction.
Lester E.

Great online backup service

Reviewed on 13/07/2018

It helps me to sleep at night.

Pros

You can backup your server and desktops using the locally installed software. You have great control over what and when everything is backed up.

Cons

When I needed to do a full server restore, it would have taken days to restore. I contacted Carbonite which sent me a hard drive with our backup on it, which save me many hours.

• Customer Support Software

Use Carbonite if you don't want to risk losing your data on your computer

Reviewed on 17/09/2018

Pros

I have used Carbonite in the past when I was running a company with 10 employees. One of my worst fears in the world would be having a computer corrupt or damaged and not able to access the files. It is better to be prepared than kick yourself later for not doing it. It was easy to set up carbonite on all of the computer and synced the backup on changes that were made within the computer. You select what folders that carbonite will consistently backup, such as my documents or customer invoices folder etc. The plan did not have any data limits on the amount of data you can backup. Carbonite really saved us when one of the disgruntled employees was trying to maliciously delete important documents and negatively hurt the company. It was about as simple as can be to retrieve the documents that were deleted and so nothing bad happened in result of this individuals actions. I never noticed any computer performance when running this software on a computer. I was surprised because I thought it would affect the computer in a negative way. I would recommend Carbonite for anybody dealing with important documents on a computer that cannot lose the information.

Cons

The least of what I liked about this is probably pricing. I feel like it should be a little lower for a backup system. There are quite a few plans to choose from but think the pricing for all of them should be a little lower. Other than that everything is perfect!

William R.

• Customer Support Software

Carbonite keeps your information safe

Reviewed on 30/07/2020

Carbonite is a great product that's very reasonably priced and does an excellent job backing up your information. We have personally relied on them more than once to backup information that was lost in a computer crash and we have never been disappointed.

Pros

Carbonite makes keeping a record of your valuable information extremely easy and reliable. In the past when we have had a computer crash and vital information was lost from the unit we were able to easily find and backup the information from Carbonite.

Cons

We really have not had any negative experience with using Carbonite. It is easy to set up and to download your lost information.

Santosh B.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Carbonite - Review

Reviewed on 06/11/2019

- it is a good overall experience with Carbonite application.

Pros

- This is an application which helps us to keep a backup of all our servers daily
- This application is very easy to setup and access.
- This application is very efficient is storing and retrieving data files without any issues.

Cons

- the pricing can be more affordable in pricing
- this application can have more features to handle more use cases.
- this application can be more optimized on UI

Paul F.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 14/01/2020

Overall I have loved Carbonite. It gives great peace of mind and is very affordable.

Pros

I love this software! It is so easy to use and gives great peace of mind that my documents are stored. I like how you don't have to do anything but simply let the software run in the background.

Cons

It can take Carbonite quite a bit of time to restore documents after a factory reset of the computer. While I understand that a lot of files take time, it does seem that there can be some duplicates that don't need to happen.

Greg H.
  • Industry: Chemicals

Reviewed on 14/12/2018

It has been a life savor for me. Our owner had lost his laptop and I was able to fully recover his data to restore on new laptop. He was extremely great full that we had this software installed.

Pros

Users love being able to login on phone/pad and view files that have been synced from their workstation/laptop. Also, gives them security that their files are backed up if something went wrong with their workstation/laptop.

Cons

Not really con but depending on amount of data, syncing it up and recovery can take sometime to complete.

• Customer Support Software

Great product for all kinds of backups

Reviewed on 24/10/2019

Overall it continues to be a great experience. Support has been great. its saved my clients bacon a number of times when it comes to local restores. highly recommend

Pros

Ease of setup, ease of use. backup types and styles, and the ability to customize. Solid interface. Customer service and support.

Cons

When they updated to version 6, they changed the software interface quiet a bit, it feels restricted in terms of the ability to administer tasks. I much prefer that older classic look and feel for those of us who know their way about backup software. Price point is a little high, especially for small offices who only have 2-3 servers vs bigger clients who could have 6-10 or more.

• Industry: Entertainment

Love that Backup, Hate the Slowdown

Reviewed on 06/12/2018

Pros

Carbonite has saved my butt a few times when I've lost files. You used to be able to also see files on your iPhone but that feature was discontinued. I do like that you can choose what specifically to back up.

Cons

It slows down my computer A LOT. I've talked with tech support and they've tried to help but no matter what, it's slow. I set Carbonite to only run while in the middle of the night and that helps.

Brad W.

• Customer Support Software

An essential product for anyone with critical information stored on their computer

Reviewed on 02/07/2018

Pros

Very easy to use. We first started using Carbonite about 7 years ago when we lost our entire hard drive to a virus. Unfortunately, we hadn't signed up for the service prior but we quickly learned our lesson and have used since.

Cons

I've never been a fan of monthly subscriptions. I would rather buy the product and purchase additional storage if needed. Other than that it is a great product.

Brian B.
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

• Customer Support Software

Essential cloud backup solution!

Reviewed on 18/03/2018

Ability to restore files to a new computer.

Pros

Carbonite provided outstanding customer service when we needed to transfer files to a new computer. They walked us through the entire process and saved us hours of heartache!

Cons

The price point is fairly competitive with other cloud backup solutions and sometimes they offer discounts at time of renewal if a 5-year plan is chosen.

Good Program but can get Pricey

Reviewed on 17/01/2018

Pros

It offers an additional back up source for me at a reasonable cost. I am a belt and suspenders type of person so I want multiple back ups of everything I do. This provides me with an easy way to have an extra backup source.

Cons

I looked into using this program as my main back up software but when you start looking at the server version it can get expensive in a hurry.

Larissa H.

• Customer Support Software

Great desktop PC backup solution!

Reviewed on 30/04/2018

Pros

Carbonite works well for backup of desktop PCs, but the product is lacking when it comes to server/enterprise level backup. It's good value for the price when it comes to desktop PC back.

Cons

The server file restore process takes significantly more time than I have experienced with other enterprise-level backup solutions, which results in more down-time in some cases. We have a high speed wired Internet connection to our servers, but file restore from the cloud can take days to complete in most cases.

Rob J.

• Customer Support Software

Good

Reviewed on 17/01/2018

Pros

With so many different types of backup software out there I think this is the best deal for a single computer. I love to be able to look up things from my backup on the app.

Cons

The thing I least like about it is that you have to manually choose to backup each video. That is a real pain and I have no idea why they make you do that!

Jennifer D.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Great Product!

Reviewed on 03/10/2019

It has been excellent. Highly highly recommended.

Pros

It is so easy and works so well. I have had a computer crash and was thankfully already using Carbonite. It was so simple to load everything on the new computer. It is absolutely worth the money.

Cons

I don't like when they contact me to try to upsell new products. The one I have works great for me. I wish I could opt-out​ of promotional emails, but I also think others can benefit from the other products so I understand why they do it.

Ross K.
  • Industry: Biotechnology

• Customer Support Software

I use Carbonite to backup my data files.

Reviewed on 02/04/2018

Peace of mind that my data is backed up.

Pros

The fact that Carbonite runs in the background and ensures my files are always backed up is great. Once it is setup, you do not have to do anything with 95% of your data.

Cons

It would be nice to have it automatically backup all file sizes - without going to specific large files to add them.

• Customer Support Software

Carbonite works well - until you want to restore a large file

Reviewed on 02/05/2018

Pros

Carbonite is pretty easy to set up, and it will capture changes in files pretty quickly. It's a set-it-and-forget-it backup utility. You simply choose which folders you want to be backed up, and it will monitor for changes and get the files into the cloud.

Cons

Carbonite owns your encryption key, meaning that when it does encrypt, the employees of Carbonite could theoretically gain access to your data. It's better to use a service that allows you to create an encryption key (there are many alternatives). Also, the biggest con to this is restoring. When you are restoring from the web interface (because, say, your server/PC is dead), then what happens is that the page will time out during the download. When this happens the download is canceled and you have to start over. For restores of large files, I've had to sit in front of the computer to click within the window every few minutes so I wouldn't get disconnected. Also, they are not HIPAA compliant, they do not encrypt the data prior to transmission, and I don't trust their security.

Can access all your laptop files remotely

Reviewed on 31/10/2018

Pros

With the Carbonite Mobile app, you can easily synchronize all your laptop desktop files to your smartphone. As such, your desktop appears on your phone. I love how I can easily access all my files, including send new files from my phone without having to take my computer with me.

Cons

There is a lag in time when you create new files on your desktop and when they finally appear as a new file on your smartphone.

Jason Z.

Full featured Backup and Recovery software

Reviewed on 21/09/2018

Overall, dispite the cons listed above, its pretty much a hands free product and easy to use. it does everything that you might want it to do.

Pros

several levels of backing up and recovering methods, imaging, file and folder, excellent bandwidth throttling tables. local backups and online. easy to use interface

Cons

Seed drives. I wish they offered seed drives to speed up implementation of backup initial installation. many small offices dont have large connections to upload, so it creates a giant 3 month long backlog of incremental. They recently changed the local app to a more "windows 10" feel. I dont care for it at all. I like the classic layout. The cloud website isnt synced very well with the local cllints as far as backup reporting goes. many times its out of sync.

A life saver!

Reviewed on 24/04/2018

Pros

I like the easy access to backed up files. I have had to use our backup multiple times, and the files were restored quickly.

Cons

I didn't like when I had to completely restore my computer from my backup a few years ago, and it failed.

Lisha N.

• Customer Support Software

Assurance of Recent Backups!

Reviewed on 24/03/2020

Overall, it is a positive experience. Have been really grateful for the recent backups on multiple occasions.

Pros

It works in the background and backs up regularly.

Cons

Sometimes takes all of my processing speed.

James E.
  • Industry: Farming

• Customer Support Software

I do not have enough space to tell you of how this software fails.

Reviewed on 28/07/2017

I can not offer any user a benefit to using this company for backing up critical user documents, pictures and data.
My recommendation is to find something different.

Pros

It was installed and configured by the previous admin, that's it.Honestly there is nothing positive about this software.

Cons

Horrible user setup,
Bad server support,
Software required daily administration to keep users up to date.
Customer service was terrible. No matter what the reason for contact tech support they could not resolve even basic errors.
Server support would bloat our data backup and would not release expired backups.
Unable to restore ANY user files no matter the user backup size.
The software/ company cost me over 300gb of lost data due to failed server backups.
The final straw was when they had a security breech and sent all users an email "click on this link to reset your password" What happened, as I was told a senior executive decided to blow out ALL customer access passwords and send this email to reset. Oh, and let's not forget that this little blowup allowed you to use the SAME password that just got dumped.

Windy P.

Sit and do nothing

Reviewed on 20/03/2018

Pros

I love how easy this program is. As an account payable, I need to make sure that I always have a back up just in case my computer decides to die on me and so far carbonite makes sure that my files are back up in their system.

Cons

I've been using Carbonite for more than one year and I don't have any complaint against it. It's really great!

Ken C.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Excellent

Reviewed on 06/12/2017

Peace of mind and the ability to recover lost or corrupted data.

Pros

Unbeatable for the price, especially for the Home user. Easy to set up and runs on its own. Couldn't be simpler.