1,649 reviews

Square Point of Sale

iPad & Android point of sale (POS) system

4.7 /5 (1649 reviews) Write a Review!

1,649 reviews
Jacob S.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

• Customer Support Software

Square POS offers new and flexible use

Reviewed on 28/04/2020

Overall, I would 100% recommend Square for new businesses. Start up costs can be next to nothing and it doesn’t require someone to install it. And NO CONTRACTS :)

You can then add on their additional features which should be able to sustain your businesses growth for as long as you need it too.

In terms of switching to square, make sure your existing equipment can be reused .

Pros

Square is offering a software that is versatile and also nearly free for a new business that doesn’t have money to spend on start up costs or an existing business that has been ripped off from an expensive POS company. You can literally just use your iPhone with a card swipe. Or for the brick and mortars use their new and sleek looking square register.

In terms of interface, Squares basic dashboard is free to the public and can be set up as fast as signing up for a email account. You can learn it’s navigation in a matter of minutes and you are able to subscribe for the extras you need like loyalty, gift cards or marketing. Very simple, very user friendly, and the support is actually helpful.

Cons

Switching from a POS company that requires a lot of upfront infrastructure and training, I don’t have a lot of bad things to say about squares POS and software other than the existing equipment they told us we could use hasn’t necessarily been easy to re use. Also you are not able to get as granular in customizing some features as other softwares

• Used Monthly for 1+ year

Square is so convenient

Reviewed on 03/03/2020

Super easy to navigate and user-friendly. Customer service has also always been very helpful.

Pros

I love how portable and easy to use the hardware is. It makes all the difference being able to be mobile and also look professional.

Cons

I don't like that it doesn't integrate with Wix. It's less convenient when I have to toggle b/w Square and Stripe.

• Industry: Medical Practice

Easiest and simplest way to start taking credit card payments for your office

Reviewed on 15/12/2018

Great. Simple and easy to use. People have said that their customer service is extremely hard to get hold of, but we have used it for 3 years and have had no reason to contact customer service.

Pros

Square POS was very easy to set up. The first card reader you receive (a simple plug in to an iPad or iPhone) was free. We created an account online, attached a bank account, and created a menu of items/services we provide. Then we simply chose photos for each service or product category so that it looks nicer in the app for our employees. The result was a very simple set up and a very clean looking POS.
What's also nice is that Square POS is good at being able to refund patients if something was charged incorrectly. They also get receipts if they choose to via text message or email.
Changing the prices and adding or deleting items on the service/products you sell is quite easy. You simply log in to the website and make changes. Also, you can turn in options such as giving customers a choice to tip or not.
For being an office that used to take cash only, choosing Square POS was the way to go in entering the world of credit cards. We have no regrets and have no had problems. The correct amount of $$ we received (minus 2.75% of every transaction) gets deposited into our account every week. And we no longer have to hire a collections agency to go after those who don't have cash or mail in checks because they will simply pay through credit card now.

Cons

Square does take 2.75% of your transaction each time. You can find cheaper alternatives, but not with the ease of set up and use that comes with Square. The bigger con about Square POS is that if you have take a payment over the phone and manually type in their credit card information instead of typing it, they charge extra at 3.5% of the transaction.
Also, the first card reader they send you is a simple swiper, but we found that it didn't always work well. Most cards these days have chips, and if you want a good and safer reading you'll want to purchase the Chip reader at $49. We don't regret the purchase though.
Lastly, if you are a restaurant and choose to include the option to allow customers to tip, know that square takes 2.75% of your ENTIRE transaction (including the tip your customers add).

Kristine B.
  • Industry: Museums & Institutions

• Customer Support Software

After research, seemed like best choice on a small nonprofit's limited budget.

Reviewed on 14/07/2017

Our previous credit card processor charged us PCI compliance fee but didn't help us with our compliance issues. They were happy to charge an additional price. PCI noncompliance fee for more than a year. Switching our four physical locations and website to Square resolved those issues and saved those fees. Square Retail would no doubt help us more with inventory management, but we can't afford the extra monthly cost for the multiple locations. Software Advice and other review sites were very helpful in sorting through the hundreds of options and convincing our board that we could afford to make the switch to Square to help staff reduce time spent to manage both sales and inventory.

Pros

Fairly intuitive and forgiving (can back out of most screens if not sure where to find function you're looking for). Sales and national park visitor center staff really like the system, and have had little difficulty learning it. We have it set up with wi-fi on AT&T U-Verse and satellite internet and on a Verizon wireless-enabled iPad. Offline mode has worked during power interruptions and automatically uploaded sales when back online. Customer support has generally been top notch. Support Center has good information and comments from the Square community, though it can be a challenge to find the answer without fairly extensive searching. The Square stands, compatible printers, and cash drawers were easy to hook up and work well together. Straightforward pricing. Ability to accept multiple forms of payment with the Square chip reader and Virtual Terminal.

Cons

Would be extremely helpful to have searchable, downloadable start-up and user guides instead of having to cut and paste from web pages, which doesn't work well. We had to make a lot of phone calls to tech support during initial set-up, particularly for uploading inventory, because we couldn't find instructions online. Very time-consuming and tricky to upload inventory spreadsheet files that include multiple locations. After all the effort to upload, it appears that each item still has to have inventory tracking enabled manually. We assumed that's why we were entering all the inventory numbers into the spreadsheet. Moving inventory from one location to another also must be done manually. With desktop version of QuickBooks for Mac, Square's daily subtraction of fees for each location's sales vs. all fees charged once monthly by our previous processor has more than quadrupled the time needed to enter sales reports. Switching to cloud version of QuickBooks may help, as transactions can supposedly be downloaded to it. Had to purchase a third-party module to integrate our website's Magento Community ecommerce software with Square, but integration is very incomplete (total charge only is transferred to Square, not items sold, merchandise subtotal, member discount, or shipping charges). We accidentally entered some Virtual Terminal transactions with the wrong location selected and couldn't transfer them to the correct location. Tech support verified that the only option would have been to refund each transaction from the incorrect location and reenter them in the correct one. We bought a recommended scanner but found that we would have to manually replace our existing PLUs with very long barcode numbers for each item to use it.

Aurora G.

• Customer Support Software

Great as a user and business owner

Reviewed on 26/09/2019

Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for an easy to use and up to date transaction platform.

Pros

My first experience with Square Point of Sale was a couple years back as a Receptionist in a Fitness Facility. On a daily basis, we used Square Point of Sale whether it was to buy merchandise, memberships, snacks or sign up for special workshops. What I particularly loved most about Square Point of Sale was its easiness to use and software platform. We could receive payments from the company cellphone, iPad or computer depending what was available at the time. The platform was consistent on all three devices and just as easy to use on all of them as well.
In later years, as I opened my own Health and Wellness business, I went straight to Square Point of Sale as my main way of receiving payments. It has been an excellent tool and is always up to date. What I also like the most is how quick it is and easy to receive payments and it accepts most credit cards.

Cons

Square Point of Sale is excellent for receiving payments and I don't have any negative experience with the platform. The only thing I wish would be that the analytics and reports that I receive for all payments and invoices would be easier to read. I have a bit of trouble understanding them. Other than that, overall great platform.

Amanda josalene W.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

• Customer Support Software

In combination with an online shop, Square has more pros than competitors

Reviewed on 22/09/2019

As stated above, Square has had numerous pros for me when it comes to my apparel business.

Pros

I love Square and have been a loyal user of Square POS & Square payments. For starters, Square is what helped pave the path for me to be able to launch my clothing / apparel business outside of Etsy. I wanted to launch my own site, have independence away from online marketplaces, and have control over my payments, sales, invoices, etc., and Square is what gave me this opportunity. I am able to do everything within the app, whether it is in-person sales or online. Online, I was able to connect Square with their website service (Weebly), which mean my payments & sales go directly to my Square account.

These are the main pros for me with using Square:
-Good processing fees
-Free Square reader was provided to me (plugs into my iPhone and uses Bluetooth) for in-person sales; allows me to work pop-up shop shows
-Instant transfers to my bank; this was SUPER critical to me since I work in a made-to-order apparel business. I need to have funds instantly for fabric purchases, supplies, shipping supplies, etc.
-Quick invoicing
-Ability to organize customer info and customer data
-Ability to order gift cards for my shop directly through Square

Cons

I have no cons; Square has been my go-to payment processing software and I will not switch in the future.

Sean U.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

• Customer Support Software

Square is the best solution for being able to accept credit/debit cards for small businesses

Reviewed on 23/07/2019

Like I said, it was rocky to start with because smartphones and that kind of tech were not openly out in everyday life. but once that changed, acceptance of Square did as well. Wonderful product!

Pros

- It's easy to use.
- I have never had a situation where something had to be refunded.
- I've never heard of a complaint from someone who's card was used for a transaction.
- super affordable!
- Intuitive

Cons

when Square first came out, people were cautious and skeptical. I maybe only performed several transactions in the first couple years. then I stopped using it entirely for a bit, not because of square, but because the public in our area was just not up to date with "modern technologies" lol. Now in the age of technology where everyone has a smart phone people are more than willing to pay somewhere that uses Square.

• Customer Support Software

A great product for a small retail business

Reviewed on 29/01/2019

I log into Square every day to check the sales of our coffee shop, as I don't work there day to do, but lead the management team. I use the various reporting tools weekly as well, to track how we are doing compared the previous weeks and years.

Pros

The software has a very low buy in cost and if you aren't processing payment through them it is free. But in the end the best way to use it is to process credit card directly through your Square POS. It was so easy for our staff, but no real POS experience, to figure out how to setup our coffee shop using square. The way you are able to build in all the variables that make up what you charge the customer took the guess work out of things for our person running the POS. In the end, it meant errors in charging the customer were eliminated. We also love that the customer can reply back directly to us via their email or text receipt. Giving us feedback and allowing us to refund them if they had a negative experience.

Cons

The rewards program has changed a couple times and it was a little confusing for the customers how to use it in the past. though a recent update fixed a lot of that for us.

Rick R.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

New SQUARE Dedicated POS system is great -- Just needs expansion modules

Reviewed on 06/05/2018

I can look at reporting from my house, most other POS systems don't allow for that. I can also add to and take from my inventory and item list, I don't have to be tied to my facility to make it work.

Pros

It's simple to setup, simple to use and most importantly -- simple to train. It's so intuitive that the staff took to it in less than 5 minutes of training. Also, because their dedicated POS system "Square Register" is purpose built, we are able to use iphones and ipads to do tableside ordering which makes the workflow and throughput of the bar stools that much faster.

Cons

The reporting is not granular enough with time. You have to find out the hard way, when you want reporting from 9am on Monday through 2am on Tuesday, you have to run two separate reports. And to top it off, you have to learn the hard way that when you select an hour, it will show you everything through XX:59:59 of that hour, if you select the next hour, you're adding that hour's data to your report. They should offer software updates to improve reporting and maybe consider add-ons that are industry specific.

Barry H.

• Customer Support Software

Easy, convenient, and incredible!

Reviewed on 13/12/2018

Square has been a great experience to use and I will continue to use it for years to come. The ability to send text confirmations to customers and an email to the client simultaneously has increased my business tenfold! Easy to use and easy to access features make running business simple and easy for not only myself but my workers as well. It is HIPAA compliant and works great for any and all business models. Put simply this is a solid 10/10 software!

Pros

Square POS has been the most helpful feature for my small business. I have used Square on a daily basis for about a year and am still blown away by the features. Square links easily with any type of smartphone and the easy to use website makes handling the day to day business routine a breeze. Features include an appointment calendar, online booking, sales tracking, item tracking, payments, and much more!

Cons

The only downside I personally have experienced with this software is that Square does not do tiered pricing. For my business, I have a tiered cost for service (I.E. Tier 1 equals $, Tier 2 equals $$, Tier 3 equals $$$). This makes it difficult for online booking services and scheduling appointments. Luckily, you can put in discounted rates to help make the price accurate which is easy to setup but can effect your end of year outlook if you use Square alone to follow your income.

Heidi G.

User Friendly!

Reviewed on 11/11/2019

Overall, I really enjoy using Square. It has been my payment processor from the beginning when I was a sole proprietor and I still use it as a small business owner with employees.

Pros

Square Point of Sale makes taking my business on the go super easy. I use it when I go to events as well as in the office. The best part is when I am at events that do not have WiFi I don't need to stress because Square offers an offline mode which allows me to take payment without internet access. The payments simply get processed as soon as I hook up to the internet.

Cons

If I could change anything about Square it would be to integrate several of their services for one price. Currently there is a cost for employee tracking as we as for scheduling and other services. As a business owner I like to keep things as simple as possible so it would be nice to have a package deal where I could choose all the services I want to use and have it available for one low cost.

Alex T.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

I LOVE SQUARE!

Reviewed on 24/01/2019

Square has made it super simple as a small business owner to get started and to keep track of my accounting.

Pros

I am a small business owner and square is so easy and affordable and it allows me to access all kinds of information about my business that I would have no idea that I needed until later when it was difficult to gather that information. Its affordable and is set up so I pay for my fees as I go with each transaction instead of a huge fee at the beginning or end of the month. It is also easy for me to run transactions on my phone, so when I am at a show or sending invoices, I can process payments on my computer or phone without having to carry around big heavy outdated technology. I also love that square has the same fee so I can accept every type of payment. Square also syncs products up with Etsy or your square website and has simple free website options or more detailed and professional options.

Cons

I wish that I could somehow accept payments through Venmo as well as PayPal. I also sometimes have trouble syncing updates for products from my computer to my phone but not the other way around and I haven't quite figured out if I'm doing something wrong or not.

• Customer Support Software

Selling goods? Square POS is for you! Fast, easy, and uncomplicated.

Reviewed on 20/04/2018

Pros

I am a freelance business, so whenever clients want to pay with credit card, I have Square as one my options. I also use an invoicing software that takes credit cards as well as an online website that run through a different system. Square was the first system I used when I first started out and it's a solid system, but I've found better alternatives throughout the years though I still use it occasionally. It's great for quick sales that don't require an invoice.

Pros
Quick POS capabilities
Ability to charge a "tax" that will essentially pass on credit card fees to the customer
Immediately emails receipt to customer so that I don't have to worry about it

Square is great for goods, while I would recommend Wave for services. It's more robust and you can pull lots of different reports related to accounting through Wave. The one thing about Square that does have Wave beat is the ability to add a "tax" that essentially passes on credit card processing fees to the customer. It's easy to do on Square, while in Wave I have to manually calculate the percentage and add it as another item.
Square also is portable and quick and you don't have to create an invoice for it if you don't need one, so that's also a plus.

Cons

No ability to create invoices for services.

I have the old Square attachment for my phone and it doesn't take the new chip cards. I have to purchase the new one in order to process those cards and that's kind of a nuisance.

Taylor W.
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Great POS

Reviewed on 05/04/2020

Overall great. It system with a nice app design and easy to use

Pros

Great point of sale I like that the have a card readers for different size business. Also you don’t have to move money to a bank account to access funds you can get a debit card as well which I like

Cons

Least favorite part is the processing. It takes awhile to set up same day transfers to your bank account

Jacob A.

Square One

Reviewed on 28/02/2018

Pros

I highly recommend Square POS for any business struggling to manage the point of sale transaction. Especially new businesses, can get tied up and make mistakes when it comes down to taking money from guests, and this is often a real sticking point when things go awry. This is where Square excels most. Transactions are seamless and intuitive, and guests are happy.

Cons

The main con is that Square's transaction fees are very high compared to a traditional merchant processing company. You just have to remember that you are paying for convenience and ease-of-use. One trick is to contact square (after having a few months of transaction data) and ask them to lower your rate.

Tammy G.

• Customer Support Software

Using Square to process credit cards

Reviewed on 01/11/2017

Great way to process credit cards for low volume types of businesses.

Pros

It's free - there's no monthly fee to utilize the software. They only charge a percentage of the amount charged and a per transaction fee. The fact that they don't charge a monthly fee makes it more economical for small businesses that don't have a high volume or recurring volume of credit card sales.

Cons

You have to use an ipad to run the credit cards. It would be nice to be able to use their website to process the credit card. When there's a problem it's next to impossible to get someone on the phone to help you with it.

Krystal S.

• Customer Support Software

It gets the job done, but the system could be better.

Reviewed on 08/03/2018

Pros

I like that I am able to add pictures of my items for easy visual location in the system. It is easy to add items and remove them.

Cons

The inventory system we use is not compatible with Square which makes it very hard to do inventory. When I called and asked for this issue to be resolved I was told it was being "worked on," but it never got resolved even a year later. The system can be slow to transition between tabs. Also, getting a hold of customer service can be difficult because you need a customer code and this can be hard to locate for other employees. We also had issues when Square has signed us out, and my staff could not use the device code to log back in, I had to give them my username and password to get signed back in.

Andrew M.

• Customer Support Software

It has consistantly outshone the competition

Reviewed on 04/05/2019

I mostly use the app, although the virtual system is fine too. It has become easy to set up repeat payments and subscriptions, and keep a database of frequent clients to make card processing easier. I also like that they now have a debit card so I can access funds easier and faster.

Pros

I have stopped using Paypal for business because Square is superior and more reliable. They keep upgrading with new features and ideas. They also transfer money to your bank the fastest, with an even faster option for a nominal fee.

Cons

I used to say customer support, but that is no longer an issue at all.

• Customer Support Software

Square makes my invoicing life easy!

Reviewed on 23/02/2018

Pros

I use Square as one of my main invoicing tools. They have a very user friendly back end and I can quickly manage money and invoices. They have a a lot of great features that I love within the invoicing system. They keep making it better, Any issues I have had their customer support was great in amending quickly

Cons

It is way too easy to accidentally signup for their add on features. I wish they would have a confirm button before they automatically enroll you into one of their add on they you accidentally click on.

John O.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

A Real Winner

Reviewed on 29/12/2018

We sell books and services at trade shows. Square allows us to seamlessly accept credit cards.

Pros

It's available for small businesses without having to undergo the usual hassle involved in accepting credit cards in your business. It's easy to install and use, and it's loaded with useful features most small business can use immediately. We can take payments anywhere, even if there is not internet connection.

Cons

The cost is higher than most "traditional" credit card processors. But, you get what you pay for with Square.

John H.

SquarePOS GREAT for Small Businesses

Reviewed on 27/06/2019

I’ve been using it for nearly a year with no outages and confidence that it’s working. I have items that are taxed and some that aren’t in my state. It handles that well. Components are solid and I anticipate and expect them to last a long time

Pros

These things just work. Like apple products, I look for technology that I can just plug together (iPad, monitor display, card swiper, receipt printer, cash register) and they all work right out of the box. The app is ok too and the rates for credit card processing are competitive- with daily deposits and nice reports.

Cons

Set up of the app and items that I’m selling took a little time to plan out and adjust. But once I understood the process it went fast and I can also log in to their system from a separate PC or my phone and make adjustments or get reports too.

Chris M.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Square Point of Sale

Reviewed on 29/09/2019

Overall, I love the simplicity and easy to use layout of the Square POS system. I use it for everything from fundraisers to garage sales. I am truly impressed with the product and can not be happier with the experience that I have had with it.

Pros

I have been doing side jobs for that last 2 years and have been part of my sons cubs scouts troop. Having square not only makes everything so much easier for us, but we have notice and influx of customers that are more willing to purchase items due to the ability to process credit cards. Square is easy to use and straight forward. It keeps track of my inventory and lets me know what I need more of so that I never run out. It is easy to set up and anyone can use it due to it being very user friendly.

Cons

Unfortunately you can not customize the features to great extent, but they still have an easy and user friendly system. I have not ran into any issues or bugs that have prevented me from getting the full benefit of using the Square POS.

Benjamin M.

• Customer Support Software

Not the answer we were looking for

Reviewed on 28/09/2020

Overall the software was decent, it was just lacking a lot of key features that one would expect. Square is a large company and should put more thought into their features from a business owner standpoint. Square as a company though, isn't one I'll do business with ever again. After 18 months of running my business just fine, they deleted my account due to 'high risk activity.' Which is incorrect because nothing changed over the course of the 18 months. And once they make that decision, it's final. There is no debating. So I've moved my business elsewhere and won't go back.

Pros

It's easy to get setup and easy to use. The user interface is extremely simple and clutter free so that's a big deal when using it, especially for those that aren't very tech-savvy.

Cons

Where do I start? The Analytics are extremely limited and don't give us anywhere near the level of detail we desire. Without proper Analytics, we can't keep our finger on the pulse of the business. The mobile access is a pain in the butt to use as it's often unresponsive and doesn't have the user friendliness that it should.

Kayla H.
  • Industry: Animation
  • Used Other for 2+ years

All You Need to Sell

Reviewed on 17/06/2020

I sell often at various conventions and festivals and Square has made it easy to take any sort of card payment for my wares. I have even bought several of the accessories to make it even more streamlined.At the end of each sales day they send you a summary of all your sales and the payments taken out of it which makes record keeping simple.

Pros

Simple to use and set up. It saves the information of each purchase to make it easy to itemize. Also very easy to give out refunds if necessary and to have the option to have the customer give you a tip.

Cons

It requires active Wi-Fi for it to work effectively, which often times I am at places that have spotty Wi-Fi at best. Also during the signing section the button to cancel the transaction is too easy to accidentally hit instead of the button that allows the transaction to go through, which has cause a few lost transactions for me.

• Customer Support Software

LOVE Square. Use for all my payment processing.

Reviewed on 04/05/2018

Pros

I have never had any issue with processing payments through Square. Funds are always in my account the next day and the notifications I get are instant. My clients never have any issues paying invoices, processing their credit cards, etc. The interface on both web and mobile is extremely well designed.

Cons

I don't really have anything bad to say. I have enjoyed using this platform so much I have never even considered using anything else.