Square Point of Sale Reviews

Jared
Jared

Square POS after 1 year

Reviewed on 25/06/2022

The POS software is very good especially when I go offline and in person I can collect a payment and continue online and resolve any client information.

Pros

It's seamless with my banking and helps me integrate payments for clients, products, and services

Cons

There are many freemium features that can be an additional benefit on top of the current monthly costs unlike a shopify plan that bundles most offers in one subscription.

Cash App, Stripe, and Venmo

Reasons for Choosing Square Point of Sale

The solution was able to solve a pressing need to offer an offline settlement system just in case my clients were not able to access my website.

PayPal and Shopify POS

Reasons for Switching to Square Point of Sale

It involved a lot more ecom and web integrations that provide
Germaine
  • Industry: Hospitality

A Great Value for your Money

Reviewed on 30/10/2023

We have used Square for several different ministries. We ghave a coffee shop, a college cafeteria, a homeless shelter and online store. Square is able to work with all of our many ventures with ease

Pros

I like that it was simple and intuitive to use

Cons

I wish the website allowed for more customization in outline and interface looks

Stripe and Shopify POS

Reasons for Switching to Square Point of Sale

It had a more user friendly interface and was able to satisfy our needs for all of our various ministries and offices.
Dorian
  • Industry: Entertainment

Ease of use and good customer service

Reviewed on 07/05/2024

Pros

We are an indie record label using square for customer orders and merch transactions. We have found the interface easy to use and customer service easy to interact with during the implementation phase.

Cons

No real complaints, other than that the processing fees are a little high at times.

Jeffson

• Customer Support Software

For a POS system it works as should

Reviewed on 07/01/2023

My overall experience with this platform is good, I only wish they requested business verification first before approving me to use them as a payment processor but if you have all their needed criteria you’re definitely good to go, there service is quite seamless

Pros

The setup was quite easy, they don’t take up to 7days to process your money so thats a plus, the interface is straight forward. They support various card types for debiting

Cons

You can’t contact them via live support chatYou will be asked to verify your business once a large amount of money is processed through their payment gateway and if you don’t meet all their criteria the money will be held for 120days before release

Square Payments

Reasons for Choosing Square Point of Sale

Stripe took too long to process my money to my bank account

Stripe

Reasons for Switching to Square Point of Sale

The shorter time in processing payments
Jonathan

• Customer Support Software

Easy to train and use for high volume

Reviewed on 09/02/2024

We have used square in a high volume music venue for shows and events. We have also used square and the square team for high volume music festivals. We can implement this for the box office as well as the bar sales, while pulling live reports to see how inventory is moving and track sales trends throughout the event.

Pros

I like how intuitive it is for any new user. Having multiple screens easily navigable is helpful in high volume bar sales.

Cons

Setting up new items and inputting them into a proper category can be lengthy to keep them organized and not having too many "type" of items. If you do not do this process 100% in the first step then your inventory will get out of control very fast.

Celine

• Customer Support Software

Square varies from case to case and company to company

Reviewed on 26/11/2023

Great as a beginner but not for anything complicated. Can't integrate into many programs. If you just want to collect money and nothing more, it's fine, but keep it at that.

Pros

Square was the first POS that I ever had. I've used everything from the first small swiper that was offered many years ago to the actual POS system in a kiosk I had to taking mobile payments via NFC. It's very user friendly and great for beginners and self explanatory.

Cons

I ordered the square bank and card product so that I wouldnt have to go out of my way to open a business account for a small consultation business I have and that was a terrible idea. I never saw a dollar of the money I was paid that went to it. I never had access to any of the funds and I couldn't ever reach anyone to figure it out. It would show the payments I received but my drawer was always at 0.

Aria

There's a reason everyone uses it

Reviewed on 19/04/2024

Pros

It is aridiculously easy to implement and a low-cost way of creating a POS for your business. Our clients love the iPad set up the most as it allows for collecting tips and giving the option of e-receipt or print to their clients.

Cons

No complaints thus far honestly, does everything my clients need it to.

Erika
  • Industry: Higher Education Software
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Easy & Convenient

Reviewed on 09/05/2024

Pros

The ease of use and the fact that almost all the customers are familiar with square to begin with, makes having our pop-up events or bars very smooth!

Cons

The ability to hide buttons so that our cashier does not get overwhelmed - we have multiple locations so being able to just stay inside your own location's menu

Nicky
  • Industry: Textiles

Square saved me from losing sales!

Reviewed on 14/04/2024

Pros

I like that I can carry the Square device around anywhere and change customers as needed. It was very helpful before the new social media money apps.

Cons

I do not hear much about it anymore since the new apps are taking over.

Good POS Platform

Reviewed on 17/04/2024

Pros

Overall Square works pretty well for what it needs to do and the fees are reasonable.

Cons

Can't think of any specific cons to mention

Navine

Love Love Square

Reviewed on 11/12/2019

Overall, I prefer square any day over stripe and PayPal payments.

Overall, I prefer square any day over stripe and PayPal payments.

Pros

Love live square. Love that it can be used for both in store and online payments. It sync with my quickbooks which saves me a whole lot of time. It gives detail daily reports which includes best seller of the day, number of sales, number of products sold and what type of product sold, taxes paid, types of payment the customers used, plus it syncs with my online store inventory. Square gives you all the detail info you never realized you need till you need it all in one place. So easy to use and tailored for retailers. Love the Apple Pay feature too.

Cons

My big con with square integration is it doesn’t sync well with bigcommerce. By that I mean, my online sales gets imported as a custom order so there is no itemized list of what the customers bought. Also with bigcommerce, there is no way for me to take Apple Pay or other digital wallet payments. Square does have digital wallet payment options with their square space shopping cart. Fingers crossed they will fix this custom import stuff soon.

Mylinh
  • Industry: Alternative Medicine

Square POS app

Reviewed on 21/04/2020

This has been great with no problems! It allows me to bill anywhere and review my billing history. It gives me a breakdown of new clients and how many returning.

One thing I would like to see change is the 1099 form. It only gives me one if I sell more than $20K in products a year. I would like to be less and more flexible for small business owners!

Pros

This is portable and accessible from anywhere. I also like that I can send invoices, schedule a time for it to send and set up reminders to the client!

Cons

On the initial setup, my profession was not setup up properly so I was not able to accept HSA or FSA credit cards. It was because there was no option for me as an alternative healthcare provider. Customer service helped me and my issue was fixed!!

Reasons for Switching to Square Point of Sale

I actually still have both but the Square app is more user friendly on my smartphone such as invoicing. I use square more for my business.
Jake

• Customer Support Software

Every Business Needs Square Point of Sale!!!

Reviewed on 21/06/2022

Square has seriously helped our business grow into what it is today. And we're still scaling. We can create subscriptions on the go, accept payments online, at events and easily export reports when we need them (super helpful when tax season is here).

Pros

The simplicity and ability to process payments and subscriptions on virtually any device and from any location is super key. And Square allows us to do this.

Cons

We don't really have many cons to report other than it would nice to have some of the new "premium" features included being that we pay about 3% per transaction already but we understand that operations need to be funded (and profitable).

Venmo

Reasons for Choosing Square Point of Sale

Square appeared to be easier (this was back when it was just the mobile reader).

Reasons for Switching to Square Point of Sale

Square seemed to have a better roadmap and ecosystem of product development.
Caitlyn

• Customer Support Software

Square Point of Sale is a LifeSaver!

Reviewed on 27/09/2022

My overall experience with Square POS has been a good one. For the last seven years that I have used this product, I have not had any serious issues. It is very efficient, organized, easy to use, and they made it very easy for me to reach customers I otherwise would not have been able to help. So if I had to start all over again, I would once again choose Square.

Pros

I like its ease of use, the fact they make their features very "what you see is what you get" so I don't have to spend much time training others on how to use it if I have need to. I like the fact that everything is very clear and organised for optimum efficiency. I can get to anything I need in a matter of seconds without having to jump through hoops just to find the features I need at any given time. If you are someone who is just getting started with a small business, I would definitely recommend using Square POS, because it took me from barely doing barely any business to having a growing community of customers practically overnight. All thanks to how convenient and easy the software is for customers and business owners.

Cons

Thus far, in the last seven years I have used this product, there really hasn't been anything I have found that I REALLY dislike about it. It's a very simple uncomplicated software and that is what is so great about it. So nothing negative to say.

Shopify POS

Reasons for Switching to Square Point of Sale

I chose Square because of its affordability and easy plug and play "what you see is what you get" format. It was great for me when I was just starting out as a business owner and it's been just as good, if not even better, as my business has grown. So I would definitely recommend this software to anyone, whether they are just starting out or if they are looking to switch to a new POS software.
Michael
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

• Customer Support Software

Simple and powerful mobile Point-Of-Sale app

Reviewed on 28/11/2022

A powerful business financial management tool, right in your pocket. It offers an owner/operator to enter invoices from a home computer, or from a mobile device in the field.Super easy to use, and packed with features that provide the insights an owner needs.

Pros

Being able to quickly add a client on the fly, either manually or "from address book", taking a credit card payment, and storing the card in the client file is so simple, quick, and easy.Then, any additional charges to the same client can for a very small "additional percentage" amount be charged to the card now on file, saving the client the hassle of having to pull out the card every time.

Cons

Would like to be able to add "standard service fees", such as a "processing fee", "fuel surcharge", and others, in the same way one can add various taxes. Right now, I am doing it in the "taxes" section, which is not ideal, but it can be done with that workaround.

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Reasons for Switching to Square Point of Sale

It was the quickest to set up, and at the time, had the most features that were easy to use, and the bank was more expensive, and I would have to invest in the QuickBooks software. No up-front cost with Square.
Cortland

Square Point Is On Point

Reviewed on 26/04/2023

My overall experience with Square Point Of Sale is that it’s given me the smoothest online and electronic payments possible and they take a small percentage of everything transferred in and out.

Pros

I like the easiness of processing transactions on this software! Takes away 90% of my businesses financial headaches.

Cons

I don’t have any cons in regards to Square Point Of Sale because any and everything I need the app to do, it does!

Matthew

Easy as it gets

Reviewed on 04/07/2023

The overall experience has been wonderful. It is an extremely easy to use product which makes rolling it out across the country quick and simple.

Pros

My favorite part of Square is the ease of it all. It was easy to set up, it is easy to use and it is easy to integrate. This makes life so much easier when you have locations all across the country.

Cons

We only use Square for payment processing. It is a little more expensive than some of the other solutions if that is all you are using.

Stripe

Reasons for Choosing Square Point of Sale

Ease of use, better control and better reporting

Reasons for Switching to Square Point of Sale

We felt that Square was the most user friendly, most flexible and the reporting suited our needs better.
Paul

Square Point of Sale is Reliable and Easy to Use, But Beware

Reviewed on 24/10/2023

Our overall experience with Square POS was either one extreme or the other. We were reasonably happy customers for four years, minimal complaints, and then dumped on our butts without warning. Three years earlier we were contacted by Square POS and asked to remove glass product from our POS, and we complied, so I'm honestly not sure why, years later, as loyal customers we weren't even given the courtesy of a phone call or email explaining what the issue actually was.

Pros

Our setup was Square POS for the brick & mortar piece of our store, then we had another software acting as our master of inventory between our store, and website, which was hosted on a different, more robust ecommerce platform than Square. I feel it's fair to say that Square kept its promise in terms of its uptime, and ease of use. We rarely had issue with Square POS being down, though it did happen for a few hours here and there, but again, well within their uptime promise.

Cons

What did I like least about Square POS? That would be the time Square, with zero notice, pulled the plug on our store and website as a credit card processor, leaving us without any modern way to process payments. Customer service IS part of the deal, right? Well, when I contacted Square about this, I was not given a reason, or the ability to appeal the decision. I was simply told to move on to a different solution, and no further information would be provided.

Shopify POS and Toast POS

Reasons for Switching to Square Point of Sale

We went with Square POS because we are in the CBD business, and Square invited us to be part of their CBD payment processing program. There's that, and in all honesty, the software is incredibly easy to set up, and use. It's certainly not the most robust solution in terms of reporting, but to cover that we were able to connect to a solid IMS via API. For most businesses, I think Square would be a simple POS solution, but again, beware, there just wasn't a lot of communication from their end on major decisions that negatively impacted our small business.
Jacob
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

• Customer Support Software

Square POS offers new and flexible use

Reviewed on 28/04/2020

Overall, I would 100% recommend Square for new businesses. Start up costs can be next to nothing and it doesn’t require someone to install it. And NO CONTRACTS :)

You can then add on their additional features which should be able to sustain your businesses growth for as long as you need it too.

In terms of switching to square, make sure your existing equipment can be reused .

Pros

Square is offering a software that is versatile and also nearly free for a new business that doesn’t have money to spend on start up costs or an existing business that has been ripped off from an expensive POS company. You can literally just use your iPhone with a card swipe. Or for the brick and mortars use their new and sleek looking square register.

In terms of interface, Squares basic dashboard is free to the public and can be set up as fast as signing up for a email account. You can learn it’s navigation in a matter of minutes and you are able to subscribe for the extras you need like loyalty, gift cards or marketing. Very simple, very user friendly, and the support is actually helpful.

Cons

Switching from a POS company that requires a lot of upfront infrastructure and training, I don’t have a lot of bad things to say about squares POS and software other than the existing equipment they told us we could use hasn’t necessarily been easy to re use. Also you are not able to get as granular in customizing some features as other softwares

Christy

Square Point of Sale for Gift Card Sales

Reviewed on 14/04/2020

Over all, having the ability to sell E-gift cards from my existing website without a monthly fee was a huge game changer for my salon company! We went from selling $200-$300 per year in online gift card sales to well over $2000 the first holiday season my company offered E-gift cards. I believe the increase was due to the great look of the gift card choices, the Square name that everyone knows and how easily I could added the service to my company website.

Pros

I love how easy and fast it was to set up and link into my website. Square gave me the exact dimensions my photo(s) needed to be for the custom branded E-cards for the Square point of sale. In addition, my main reason for choosing Square Point of Sale for my online gift card sales was that there is no monthly fee to offer the E-cards, my company only pay for processing sales.

Cons

Square Point of Sale continues to improve the software for the E- gift cards, however I wish the system would notify me, the owner, when a customer has purchased a gift card. Customers would bring in their digital gift cards for services and since Square Point of Sale did not integrated into our booking software & our company did not realize the card had been purchased staff would have to search to find the purchased card. I wish the gift card sales and the reporting of the gift card sales was more streamlined.

Michael

Love Square POs

Reviewed on 21/08/2019

Pros

The POS system is simple and easy to use hands down. The use of our POS integrated with online, loyalty program, marketing, and payroll is a one stop shop integrated and makes life simple and streamlined!

Cons

We paid the original higher cost for the register when it first came out. The price just dropped $200 this week. Our rate remains lower so it will pay for the difference over time since grandfathered in....not much we don’t Ice about this wonderful easy, all in one system!

Worldpay

Reasons for Choosing Square Point of Sale

Processing cost, ease of use and integration with payroll, invoices, Loyalty, marketing, etc.

Reasons for Switching to Square Point of Sale

Had everything we needed and the cost was great.
Austin

Square POS

Reviewed on 31/08/2023

Square helped us with sales when we're at events and with our regular business operation. The rates are affordable so we're still making nearly the same profit and we've been able to sell more tickets and merchandise.

Pros

Square is a convenient way to complete sales transactions no matter where you are or what kind of business you're running. They have an app that's great. Use it in your storefront, pop-up booth, festivals, events, wherever. All of the pricing information and fees are listed up front and it's a pretty good rate. Transactions are secure for buyer and seller. Customer service portal has several ways to get support so you can use whatever method is best for you and your situation. Square can run in offline mode if you need it.

Cons

Inventory management wasn't great but since we don't have a lot of merchandise it wasn't a deal breaker. Square should come up with something better for Inventory. Easier to manage, less time involved.Account freezes do happen with Square once in a while.

Aurora

• Customer Support Software

Great as a user and business owner

Reviewed on 26/09/2019

Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for an easy to use and up to date transaction platform.

Pros

My first experience with Square Point of Sale was a couple years back as a Receptionist in a Fitness Facility. On a daily basis, we used Square Point of Sale whether it was to buy merchandise, memberships, snacks or sign up for special workshops. What I particularly loved most about Square Point of Sale was its easiness to use and software platform. We could receive payments from the company cellphone, iPad or computer depending what was available at the time. The platform was consistent on all three devices and just as easy to use on all of them as well.
In later years, as I opened my own Health and Wellness business, I went straight to Square Point of Sale as my main way of receiving payments. It has been an excellent tool and is always up to date. What I also like the most is how quick it is and easy to receive payments and it accepts most credit cards.

Cons

Square Point of Sale is excellent for receiving payments and I don't have any negative experience with the platform. The only thing I wish would be that the analytics and reports that I receive for all payments and invoices would be easier to read. I have a bit of trouble understanding them. Other than that, overall great platform.

PayPal Commerce Platform

• Customer Support Software

Awesome program for managing payments

Reviewed on 26/03/2023

Square Point of Sale is an amazing payment management software. I have recommended this software to my friends and colleagues who run a business. It is a pleasure to use and saves time.

Pros

Square Point of Sale is very user friendly! I am a first time small business owner and I chose to use Square Point of Sale to process my payments and I am very happy with my choice. Not knowing much about how online payments are processed, the setting up and usage of Square Point of Sale was overall intuitive and a well guided process. The fee associated with using this software is very reasonable and is minimal compared to other softwares. Another feature on top of the software that I really enjoyed was the inclusion of sales reports, feedback from customers and other bonus features such as management on different things. Whenever I need to add the information of a customer, I find it is very easy and time saving process. When I have returning customers, Square Point of Sale remembers their information and I don't need to ask for the card number again.

Cons

The one thing I hope Square Point of Sale can improve on is preventing any glitches. I've encountered 2 glitches which were not damaging in anyway but it would be nice if the app was glitch free. Other than this, I don't have anything negative to say.

Tammy
Tammy
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Square Point of Sale

Reviewed on 07/11/2018

Overall I had been having a decent experience with Square but having to spend so much time looking for a phone number and then waiting so long for a person to tell me my customers had to wait 7 to 10 business days for a refund that was caught 15 hours or less from the original transaction was ridiculous. I had to go and get a money order to give one customer for the refund and NOW have to drive across town to now pick up a money order from her once the refund was posted to her account so I can deposit the additional money I gave her Saturday so she had funds through today when the refund posted. A lot of unnecessary running around when it could have been corrected within a day or two not 10 days! It was enough aggravation that I'm looking for another money transfer app for our events.

Pros

I liked that it was a convenient way to accept payments anywhere via my mobile cell phone through the Square App.

Cons

I didn't like that customers couldn't make a payment directly from their phone & that Square charges a higher fee to manually enter a credit card. There was a glitch with square that kept showing a different totals than what was entered $82.00 it showed $82.03. The customer said run it with the .03. Then the next day LESS THAN 24 hours later I saw the deposit total from Square to our bank account and it was a lot more than it should have been. I looked up transactions and saw where 2 customers were highly over charged. (1) I entered $52.00 but Square deducted $520.09 from the customers card, (2nd) I entered $53.00 but Square deducted $530.06. I immediately looked through their website to see if I could refund the difference but had no way of doing so through the website. I was able to refund the difference through their Square App. That was done maybe 15 hours later I refunded the difference and sent screen shots of the refunds to the 2 customers. Two days later one of the girls said the refund hadn't processed. What seemed like 30 minutes or longer looking through their website for a phone number - called to speak to someone and was on hold for 30 min. or longer to get someone. This person didn't seem to care that I refunded these customer's accts. 15 hours or less from the transactions took place. He said it would take 7 to 10 business days to refund their accts. That was large amounts of money for someone to wait a week when it was caught 15 hours or less.