Targetprocess

Visual platform that helps to scale agile across the company

4.5 /5 (534 reviews) Write a Review!

Aaron S.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Excellent alternative to JIRA

Reviewed on 20/11/2019

We used JIRA for several years and it's good, but the lack of proper integrated hierarchy means organising 10,000+ items is just impossible. Even 3rd party plugins dont help much. The UI is slow and unattractive and after 6 months trying to get JIRA Porfolio to work (a cool idea!) I could never get it to and the response from Atlassian was disappointing overall.
The UI is much, much better in Target Process and

Pros

* Responsive UI
* Adding many stories at once is easy so doesn't interrupt your flow
* Incredible customer support responsiveness
* Dashboards are 10x better than anything in JIRA
* Reports are built in and very well designed, things you have to buy from 3rd parties in JIRA (if you even can)

Cons

* Roadmapping is harder than it looks, some planning features missing means i can't throw away my gantts just yet but it's getting close
* Search results have way too much white space, can be hard to find exactly what you're looking for - JIRA was better at this
* Difficult to learn the filtering side of things for anything more than basic needs (but their customer support team are amazingly supportive on this, even writing a script for me immediately to address my individual need). Oh, this is meant to be the con section isn't it. ;-)
* Workflows aren't quite as customisable as JIRA, such as setting triggers and custom screens

Marco S.

• Customer Support Software

A strong Agile and multiproject companion tool

Reviewed on 30/10/2019

We have introduced Targetprocess during 2017 year since we have started to really implement an Agile approach to our development process. We are also active JIRA users and from the beginning we discovered a much more clean approach with TP, and a much more powerful reporting tools.

Pros

We have found it very clean and simple in the day by day usage, it has powerful reporting functions that helps to keep track of your progression and global performance between multiple projects

Cons

We are missing some functionalities, like the skills matrix tool in order to have a clear view of allocated peoples vs. skills required on a project basis.

Some aspect of the UI can be improved and much polished to be more clean, but we know that its a matter of time.

Kelly C.

Target process

Reviewed on 21/10/2019

I like that is easy to use and that you do not need to be a genius to use it

Pros

That it helps run the business better and faster and they update the software better then the other software programs

Cons

I think it makes the other software programs look bad because they are not as good as the targetprocess

Bill P.

with Target Process for the long haul

Reviewed on 15/01/2019

Several of the team are remote workers, so it's great that it's cloud-hosted and accessible from anywhere. We've been able to customise it to add the fields we need, and - following a hint from customer support - we also use it to manage our retrospectives. It's also straightforward to interface from PowerShell, and we've used the API to integrate with our on-prem TFS system. The TFS side has brought challenges - but that's a topic for my TFS review!

Once I encountered Target Process, it has been my Agile tool of choice, ahead of JIRA. In my first company, it was a little mysterious, and that was because we hadn't actually been properly SCRUM trained. Worse, we were trying to extract non-Agile information from it. That's not the tool's fault - but to get the best from Target Process, you do need to understand SCRUM (or Kanban, which it also supports). Once I got my SCRUM Master certification, the light bulb went on for Target Process too, and I realised the power it had.

Pros

The boards are just so intuitive - using a board to estimate user stories, for example, by dragging stories of similar complexity to the same story-point column. Being able to quickly throw together a board to view stories or tasks, on a grid with whatever-you-want as the two axes makes it really easy to understand how your work is partitioned.

Cons

The licensing model makes it hard to share info with non-users. You can generate (and export) lots of reports, but I'd really like to see a read-only licence that lets occasional visitors look around.

Mark C.
  • Industry: Newspapers

• Customer Support Software

TargetProcess powers our business and project team

Reviewed on 08/02/2017

My team have used TargetProcess for around 6 years. Those years have seen a lot of change for my team and for TargetProcess, although I think the core of what attracted me to TargetProcess is still the same, namely the separation of data from presentation. It's a simple and common concept to developers of many types, but it's very rare to see in tools, even complex project management tools. Most have 'our way' or more likely 'the way' and allow for minor tweaks to that approach, but rarely let you build limitless ways to view the data.

Over the years with TargetProcess my team and our processes have changed considerably, but thanks to the flexibility of TP we've been able to iterate the various presentations of our work data without needing to move to another tool (User Stories, Bugs, Features and Epics, across boards, reports and dashboards).

The support at TP is second only to the inherent flexibility of the product, but it's also a big part of what's kept us with TP all this time. On the rare (5-10 times a year) occasions I need to ask a question, I pop onto live chat, upload a screenshot or video and get an answer, typically within minutes, typically a full solution that allows me to carry on with what I'm doing straight away. In the rare cases it isn't possible, support create a suggestion ticket for me or upvote an existing one if it's there and I've seen several of them appear in the product.

My 4s and 3s in the ratings are only because I deem 5 to be almost perfect and there's almost always room for improvement. I gave Support a 5 as there honestly isn't much more that could be improved there.

I regularly evangelise TargetProcess to other companies and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Pros

Flexibility (abstraction of data from presentation).

Cons

Nothing major.

Gabriel L.

Very useful for IT project management

Reviewed on 02/12/2019

We used to receive our customer requests throught TP, then either answer them directly or create bugs, user stories, tasks, etc. accordingly. This worked well when we only had a few customers, but when we strated to really grow, it became unmanageable.

We then transfered our customer support to Freshdesk and decided to keep TP for the dev team and that's just been a bliss. We now have all the bugs, new features developement, etc. entered in TP, they they are separated into release plans so I can see how and when a bug will be fixed and let the customer know.

Pros

How powerful it is. I'd say it's not the most visually appealing and user friendly software out there, but the amount of things you can do is just incredible. It's also incredibly customizable.

Cons

It's not necessarily the best for custom support. I know there is a feature that lets you get requests from clients and follow up on those requests, but it's really lacking any depth in my opinion. This is really a great software for software developpers, but I wouldn't say it's ideal for the support team.

David L.

• Customer Support Software

Great customizability at the expense of complexity

Reviewed on 10/07/2019

Overall support has been responsive, and we have been using it for several years. However this past year we had 20 users on a separate product line switch to another product. Therefore we are about half the users on this system right now than we had before.

Pros

This product seemed to fit our use case the best, where we have 1 team responsible for multiple products that all have independent release cycles. It handles that with release planning well. Also liked the Idea portal, though it was a bit tricky to setup. Having a better way to get users into the system and more granularity on the roles for the ideas portal would have made it much easier.

Cons

There are times where I just cannot get the data i need for a report. I work with support and they get me close, but then nothing. For example, there is no easy way for TP to forecast your sprint velocity based on the average velocity of the last X sprints. I've hacked it with some custom fields, but it still requires manual entry at each sprint launch. There are other issues, such as giving a velocity over time graph when your sprint durations may change (like a holiday week or something).

Dan C.

• Customer Support Software

Best Scrum tool we've come across

Reviewed on 20/02/2017

The beauty of TargetProcess is in its flexibility. When we started using TP we tweaked it all kinds to track our workflow the way we wanted. Over time our process has moved a bit more true to "pure" scrum and many of those customizations have gone away. We still have tweaks here and there to track extra info or to track things just how we like, but in general the tool is right on the money.

Pros

Cons

Some of the default calculations aren't what we'd prefer. For example: the sum total of points in a feature only includes stories, not bugs. We've worked around that though.

Sam R.

Really Robust

Reviewed on 23/06/2016

I'm a product manager for live mobile games, I really like the features and functionality of target process. One of the things I've consistently run across is that Target Process has too many features exposed to every day users. I need more customization for card layouts (after double clicking) because people get bogged down in details that don't matter to them. From a manager perspective target process really embodies that a team gets out what it puts into it.

Pros

Good customization. Easy to visualize workflows. Simple drag and drop functionality for attachments. Makes it easy to see a lot of information quickly.

Cons

Can't turn off all the features I don't want to use. The text editor on cards is straight up sub par. Response times for cards isn't as quick as some competitors, I think it is fast enough but my team does not (and ultimately this software is as much about helping my team as it is about helping me)

Matteo L.

• Customer Support Software

Very good product, but needs some little addition and tuning to pass to next level

Reviewed on 28/02/2017

Generally speaking i love target process and the way you do things guys.
i would have to be honest the only thing really piss me off is the arrows in the boards in order to scroll if there are too many columns and row. i already said this many time to the tech support and also offered my experience in the canvas rendering but in 3 years you have not yet took that in consideration.

overall the product is pretty good and amazing.
My personal opinion is that the way of estimation and the timeline component are the most weak ones and i would suggest to explore them a bit more.
in a project is of course fundamental to speed up the daily work and there you can just adjust little bugs, but the real crucial point of the development is to don't make wrong estimations and being able to respect those. i think that here the tool should help more.
As i said i think this would take the product to the next level but if someone asks me if i would ever come back to some other products or jira ..... NO WAY!

Pros

Fast, high customization and easy to create custom boards.

Cons

- query language is often difficult
- arrow on scrolling the board
- burn down

Juan E.
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

The road to success without complications.

Reviewed on 16/02/2017

Tanks to target process, I accomplish all my projects in time within my work team.
is is easy to customize filters to have different views on the projects and the reports are super easy to understand, the lay out of the interface give me a better way to easily find the state on the flow of our projects, having the option of adding files is another plus, because some times when a person on the team needs help to finish a task on a user story having this files available kind of put you on track on this persons work and you can easily start helping with out interfering on his end.
different options to change the state on a user story facilitates the work invest and make the software more easy to learn it.
one of the features that I like the most is having the filters to easily change the view of a project where you can see who is working on what and the progress of the user story or just simply concentrate what you doing by leaving it on My work only.
over all target process is easy to understand, helps giving you the option to create reports with out taking to much time or effort.

Pros

The filters to see the progress of the different projects

Cons

Hard for me to repeat what I have already written on my stand up meetings.

Larry P.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

A Lot of Features with a Few Shortcomings

Reviewed on 17/07/2019

Pros

Target Process offers a lot of functionality to make it very useful for most organizations, large and small. I particularly like that it combines all normal ALM functions with basic PM functionality to track progress. I also like that it isn't just focused on software and Agile, but allows you to adapt it to your needs. We use it for both hardware and software with equal effectiveness. Customer support is excellent and they will even perform supported customization for you.

Cons

Learning to use the views isn't intuitive and lacks the ease of use of an advanced search to find the items you're looking for. The test functionality is a bit of an after thought and doesn't allow some needed features, like reuse of test steps and test parameters. We use this to manage all requirements and there is no easy way to get those into a nice printable format. I know they are working on more item customization, but I'm use to TFS and having complete control over the fields, layout, and rules.

Adrian C.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

• Customer Support Software

Fantastic product with simple flexibility

Reviewed on 31/08/2016

I was looking for a product to manage our software testing practises when I joined my current employer in 2013. I quickly identified TP3 as being suitable for our small team of 4 developers and 1 tester (myself).
The product has been very stable, which is a key requirement.
There are fantastic integrations available with other systems that are used in our dev environment.
The product features an extensive array of options for customising the system to suit the environment it will be deployed in and this is very easy to use.
There have been significant advances to the software QA side of the system since we started using it. The beauty of this product is that software QA is only a part of the functionality offered by the system.

Pros

Stability, Flexibility, Feature updates, New functionality, regular releases of updated

Cons

There is no need for this section...

Guillaume O.

A highly customizable Project Management software

Reviewed on 23/06/2016

As a Product Owner, I use Targetprocess every single day, from the very beginning of a project when I prepare the roadmap to the last release of the software. And everyone in the team uses it as well, allowing me to know in real-time which user story has been started or which bug has been fixed.

Pros

The way views can be created and customized is really awesome and the visual encoding feature is great to highlight cards based on their properties. I use tag-based colors a lot!
I also love how easily I can notify a specific user while writing a comment.
A few weeks ago, I started using Targetprocess API to automatically build the changelog and the release note of our software and I was impressed to get it to work so quickly.

Cons

Setting up notifications based on card transitions is not so easy.
I would also like to restrict card transitions based on user roles.

Tim C.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Just a great tool.

Reviewed on 23/06/2016

We have been using TargetProcess for many years and have grown with it. The latest version (3) is a flexible and dynamic interface that allows you to shape the tool around your processes, whilst making it easy to track progress and raise standards.

Pros

The web UI, filtering and searching capabilities. The product allows us to manage a development team whose time is split across projects. I especially like the introduction of Team Iterations, rather than Project Iterations so it is possible to manage set periods of time into which a team can report across multiple projects.

Cons

Some actions are more difficult to do in bulk than in their previous web interface (v2). I hope it will be introduced soon.
It would be good to have tighter integration with other common tools (GitHub, Travis etc..)

Zoltán S.
  • Industry: Market Research Software

• Customer Support Software

Great software for agile companies

Reviewed on 19/10/2015

Have been using TargetProcess for years by now, started with its old UI and shifted early to the TP3 UI easily. In TargetProcess we meet a flexible software package, that we could adjust in data visualisation, in workflow, in stored data completely to our needs, without custom hacks.

The tool serves an agile software development team works with scrum, one works with scrum-ban, and a system administrator team works with kanban.

A very stable software with decent functionality.

Pros

Excellent concept: how you can work with the different entities like user stories, bugs, requests etc is awesome!

Very easy to create all kind of overviews, that you need from different purposes, while those are based on the same data in the background.

Adjustable workflows, with custom fields, mashups cover the needs easily, if you are creative enough, you find multiple solutions for the same challenge.

Rarely needed support from the TP team (this is a pro in itself), when needed, chat support worked very well, and sometimes when I thought, well my question might be stretching the limits of the software, I got great answer.

Cons

You need to invest some time in the beginning to understand the entities and concepts, from that point on, it is rather easy - but, from the other way around making some tries by yourself can be done easily, especially if you create a playground project for yourself - this has to be done once, to learn.

Vesa R.

• Customer Support Software

Excellent and modular software for your Agile practises

Reviewed on 29/10/2019

Own views for each developer to cater their personal needs is a huge bohus. Also ability to track status of each project in your portfolio in one view helps me personally.

Pros

You can customize almost everything as you wish, it's very modular.

Cons

Sometimes existing data is hard to export for other use.

Joseph D.

• Customer Support Software

Smart UX, fantastic customizability.

Reviewed on 04/11/2015

Our process has changed a lot over the past 3 years as a startup. Targetprocess has handled literally everything we've thrown at it. I hear other talking about how they wanted to do a unique process in one part of their workflow, but couldn't because of the limitations of their system. That is not the world I live in. Targetprocess is built for customizability.

Asana is great for task collaboration, but it falls short on visualization, particularly with Kanban and Scrum boards. Targetprocess is built for this very purpose.

If you're looking for a project/portfolio management software, particularly if you run Kanban or any flavor of Agile, you owe it to yourself to spend some time in this product. Not long ago, we looked around again at other options for cheaper. Nothing solved the problems with the same flexibility, customizability and UX as Targetprocess.

Pros

We have 4 cross-functional teams working with 4 separate processes. That has been a cinch to handle with Targetprocess. Everything from complex reporting and data insights to very custom workflows and notifications have been possible with their tools. You can even add your own mashups to extend the functionality.

Cons

We used Asana previously and task creation was almost as fast as typing a list of to-dos. Targetprocess is a bit slower than that for creating multiple tasks/stories, since they reside as cards instead of just list items.

With so much customizability/flexibility, it can take some time to understand what the software can *really* do.

Julia D.
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

Amazing tracking tool for bigger projects

Reviewed on 23/07/2019

Pros

This tool is by far one of the kind and you can keep all your project documentation: starting from requirements to the qa test run results and metrics.

Cons

It can be a little bit complicated to work with it at first, but then you'll get a hang of it

Uday P.

• Customer Support Software

Search for best project management tool ends here ..

Reviewed on 26/03/2019

My experience with Targetprocess is great so far. I use TP every day to track my project's status and check the work assigned to me.
Every project needs project management tools like TargetProcess.

Pros

Targetprocess is the main ingredient for the success of your project. You can easily track your project's real-time status.
I like Targetprocess due to following reasons :

1. Easily assign work to your team member and check the real-time status of the same.

2. Using Targetprocess you can create and assign Epic, UserStory, Request, Bug and many more.

3. You can get the overall project's status using Targetprocess Kanban board.

4. Receive notifications based on your subscriptions.

5. You can choose your package based on your needs such as Private Cloud or On-Premise.

Cons

I experienced very minimal cons for Targetprocess such as

1. Targetprocess requires a learning curve to get started.

2. User interface sometimes lags while loading cards.

3. Confusing design, It can be improved.

4. Only 1000 entities are available for free tier.

Frederic A.

• Customer Support Software

A good service, that allows lots of customization (and sometimes it's hard to handle)

Reviewed on 24/02/2017

We choose TP for it's ability to answer most of our needs in Agile / Scrum / Kanban.
You can can do almost "anything you want"... but sometimes you get lost in "what is the best way to do it".
We needed several weeks (months !) before finding the right views for each situation of our work (conception, plannification / getting things done / reviewing / making the stats /...), and the right procedure to read (or record) the right information

As there are many ways to access/edit an information, some actions are not always available when you think they would.
IE :
- Adding time spent in the past is really hardwork // especially you have to add US/tasks that weren't previously created
- Changing TeamIteration for a task or a US is not available in every view of a task/US in the work hierarchy

But in the end, TP is pretty helpful for us.
Keep on going !
Thanks guys

Pros

One place for any information about projects

Cons

Hard work to build the rights views
Inconsistency : differents views of a same item (task /US) doesn't offer the same actions // the same way of actions (IE : assigning a team / a teamiteration)

Anton M.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

• Customer Support Software

Excellent set of tools for YOUR Agile process for big teams

Reviewed on 23/06/2016

We've been using TP for many years. It brings transparency to our development process and helps our customers to get product they want

Pros

- helps to get predictible outcome from your team
- you can really tune it for yourself, any process
- you can set development process as flexible or strict , as you wish
- lots of useful integrations

Cons

- can be complicated for novice users to start using it ( other side of flexibility )
- UI can be slow at some points
- e-mail notifications hard to set-up, and users can't unsubscribe ( this may have been fixed in recent updates )

Jon S.
  • Industry: Plastics

Targetprocess is a great tool for Agile and Scrum

Reviewed on 14/09/2018

Pros

Targetprocess really allowed us to customize the tool to fit how we do business and manage our projects. The customizable boards really helped us see the data in the right way fort he right scenario. We could move our projects through the SDLF with ease with Targetprocess.

Cons

As a Project Manager it took a bit of getting used to the 'code-like' filtering and queries. Once I got the hang of it, I was much more comfortable. Also, there were a few views (like Projects by Requester) that were missing initially, but I think they have added that since.

Joe B.

• Customer Support Software

Probably all you could want and more...

Reviewed on 21/09/2018

I'm very happy with this system, having reviewed around 10 when starting out putting in place an "agile"/ "any" development process in place, this stood out. Have since implemented (the first thing I done) as my new role with a new company.

Pros

Very easy to get up and running, was able to implement the software they way I felt suited my developer's processes.

Cons

It has a lot of functionality - more than my team will ever use, a smaller (cheaper) option would be nice, I raised this with support, they have had the request before but it isnt easy to create a smaller product that would suit everyone, fair point.

Philip A.

Good tool for project management and communication between Teams

Reviewed on 05/06/2018

Pros

We used Target Process to communicate bug reports between the Customer Service Team and the Development Team. It was a good tool as we were able to clearly write all the attributes and keep track of the progress of the bug report, it really helped with communication once it was properly set.

Cons

The only bad thing about it is that as it is such an open platform and you can set it up as you want, you really have to spend a lot of time at the beginning making sure that the whole organization adopts it the same way. Otherwise it will be just a mess.