1,152 reviews

Clio

Cloud-based legal practice management software

4.7 /5 (1152 reviews) Write a Review!

1,152 reviews
Christopher P.

• Customer Support Software

A good product, getting better all the time

Reviewed on 21/11/2019

My overall experience with CLIO has been very positive. Having a system that tracks my cases, especially my time management, has been essential. While I don't love the algorithm used in the metrics, as opposed to just showing me what I have done and earned in whole minutes and dollars, having those metrics lets me see how close I am to meeting my goals. And the billing software is incredible and easy to use.

Most of all, I like that the CLIO team seems to understand that there is always room for improvement and is asking its customers and users for feedback, and actually makes improvements. I have been using CLIO for only a year, and CLIO has had two significant improvements in that time, both that were in my view positive adjustments of an already good product. CLIO is some monolithic and static program that you have to take as it is; it continues to grow and improve with user input.

Pros

CLIO does all of the basic things that a lawyer needs a case management software system to do - keeps track of clients, cases, related persons, keeps a calendar of events, even does billing in all the ways a lawyer bills a client. I especially like the document generation software, which allows our firm to efficiently create a large number of similar documents, motions, and other pleadings for our cases. Finally, I appreciate CLIO's ability to customize fields for contacts and matters.

Cons

CLIO is missing some things that I took for granted in other software, the biggest being warning the user when a scheduling conflict occurs on the calendar. For a busy litigation practice that spans several counties in my state, having a automatic conflict warning when I am scheduling would be extremely helpful in ensuring I am never double-booked.

One of the things I hope CLIO will consider improving in the future is making their document templates able to be organized or with a search function. As an attorney who works in criminal court, family, court probate court, and civil court, I generate a lot of different documents, and its always a chore going through the list to find the one I need. Even organizing documents by category, which CLIO also permits users to customize as needed, would be an improvement in efficiency.

A final thought for improving CLIO would be in the Contacts system, adding a checkbox to permit the use of a work address and other contact information for the contact, both when creating a contact from scratch, or when adding a new contact under a Matter as a related person. Right now, whenever I add a new police officer in my criminal defense cases, even though I have their police department in my contacts, I have to type out the address, phone number, website, etc. in the new officer's contact. A checkbox would save me a great deal of time, or just add the employer contact information as the contact's work addresses as a default.

Sean L.

Best feature set available

Reviewed on 19/11/2019

Very positive; I love the software.

Pros

Clio integrates with so much other software to make your life easier that is just can't be beat. Saving emails via Outlook, generating document templates, collecting e-signatures on engagement agreements—whatever you need, Clio has it.

I can also run billing, monitor bill payments, and overall run the entire law firm with minimal effort, minimal time commitment, and with confidence that everything is running smoothly.

Cons

There are some smaller points that can drive you insane. For example, you cannot customize the look of the emails that go out when you share matters, bill, etc. with your clients. If you—like me—transition from a solo practitioner to running a small law firm, you will eventually need to open new bank accounts. Clio will not let you eliminate the old bank accounts and start from scratch. You can't even force the old bank accounts to be otherwise "invisible" to the system so that you cannot accidentally record money moving into a defunct account. This is a minor complaint, but man does it drive me insane.

I also still want to see a task assignment that allows me to set a supervisor for each assigned task.

Peter S.

All I Need

Reviewed on 20/10/2019

Terrific, a true game changer!

Pros

Clio provides an all in one suite of applications that are necessary for my law firm to operate. We used to rely on a stand-alone billing software program for our billing and time-tracking. Of course every computer or user we added cost us more money on top of the software itself. When the software became outdated and no longer supported, we had to purchase the latest version. We also relied upon emails to assign tasks, and give each other messages about the cases we were working on together- without a centralized location for the team to track and review each other's notes and progress, each member had to rely upon their own notes, memos, emails, etc. This was inefficient and time consuming. Another fun part of my day was searching for contact information of opposing counsel on particular matters. Often times I would search emails, review the documents on a case, or review documents in the file to get the contact information I needed. Calendaring was also an administrative hurdle. Entering dates in a separate software system led to disorganization, and required jumping around from one program to another to manage information and learn where attorneys were supposed to be.
Clio puts all of these functions , and more, under one roof. It has made the work flow in my law firm seamless, efficient, easy, and organized. Clio does it all, and I am truly grateful for this product.

Cons

I would like it to be easier to review the billing entries of other users in real time.

Steven B.

Very Satisfied

Reviewed on 16/09/2019

Very satisfied; excellent product.

Pros

Easy to use -- calendaring, opening new matters, time entries, notes, billing. I like the interface, the way it looks. Program includes trust accounting. Can include/integrate credit card billing as an option which I did, and works well. Have used Law Pay for a while and it integrates through Clio. Send out invoices through Clio, client can click on button to make credit card payment, and have option to have program automatically apply to open invoices when payment comes in -- get email notifications of payments. Very satisfied with the program -- does what I need and enjoy using.

Cons

I don't think it's a negative factor, but don't use the mobile app much, for whatever that means. Tend to just check my iphone calendar (I use Office 365 to integrate, other options also I think like Google to integrate -- Clio integrates with Office 365 and iphone calendar will show Office and Google calendar events). There is a new beta version of the mobile app available for use that looked at today and I like -- I could see using that to make entries if I need while out of the office, but usually just do all of that at my computer in the office.

Rosalinda B.

Very easy to use

Reviewed on 29/08/2019

It makes part of my job easier.
1.Attorneys are much more comfortable going into Clio by themselves to enter their time or find information/reports instead of having to wait and rely on me to do it.
2.It's much easier and faster to quickly generate reports that split Time (by keeper) and Expenses.
3.Monthly billing goes by much smoother, invoices go out faster, payments are received much faster than if by mail. Attorney's are happier. : )
4.Clients like to be able to receive email with link to process payments online.

Pros

Time entries can be imported by batch. Trust Requests and Bills can be emailed w/payment link directly from Clio. Past Due Bills can be "shared" with a coupled clicks versus printing out and mailing or using another app to email it.

Cons

1. When looking at a past due bill (and additional bills have been issued and remain unpaid for that same matter) the Outstanding Balance on the Statement of Account section will update and include the balance due for that matter as of the current date + any open Trust Replenishment requests instead of the balance due for that invoice + the balance due of all invoices issued previously to that one.
2. Evergreen Retainers - I keep getting calls from clients saying they can't view the "Shared" invoice when I have applied Trust funds that covered the whole balance. They can see the Trust Request to replenish funds used/applied to an invoice, but they can't see the actual invoice and review what was billed. I have to print the invoice to PDF and go to my email app and send from there.
3. I would like to see a report that shows that various billing rates per timekeeper for each client/matter.

Lucy D.

Solo Attorney Highly Recommends Clio

Reviewed on 19/08/2019

Clio has made me much more organized and efficient. My billing process is easier and smoother and I keep better track of accounts receivable. Much easier to track the progress of a file and leads. It is easy to share documents and communications securely with clients

Pros

Clio software is comprehensive and covers everything that I need as a solo attorney to keep my practice running smoothly and efficiently. Clio Grow is a new feature that helps me track leads, lead sources, the intake process, etc. It is very comprehensive and is easily merged with Clio Manage. The Clio help desk is excellent. Answers are always spot on. If they cannot fix my problem, they will honestly tell me that Clio does not have the capability that I'm looking for and they will offer to submit a request for that capability to be considered in the future. Clio is always looking to address customer needs.

Cons

Does not have all of the capabilities that I need but has most of them. Sometimes the queue for the help desk/chat is rather long.

Justin D.

What I Like Most About Clio

Reviewed on 05/08/2019

Clio had a long learning curve. That said, any software that has wide capability will have a long learning curve. However, the support team has been very helpful. It does not work for me to try to read articles to learn how to use the system, I appreciate being able to get someone on the phone or on chat who can simply show me how to do what I want to do.

Pros

As a solo practicing attorney for almost a quarter century, tracking time, preparing and sending out bills has been my least favorite activity, and the place where I have lost revenue and had upset clients. My experience is that clients don't appreciate it when bills are sent timely or when they receive billing after six to twelve months of work - they really prefer regular billing.

Clio has revolutionized the billing and collection part of my solo practice environment. Now that I have learned how to create clients and matters and to input time, it is a simple once a month task to create professional monthly client bills which I can print and snail mail, email, or send with the LawPay connection and the client can "click through" the email bill to pay with credit card.

Cons

I cannot figure out how to set up or use the form template function. When I have tried it does not really work and I have stopped trying to use this. I would very much like to create some form engagement letters.

My work is mainly transaction, not so much litigation. At first it was difficult to figure out how to prepare a nice looking flat-fee for a project type bill. However, with the updates I have been able to customize bills to have both hourly fee bills and flat-fee bills.

Tami K.

Clio in our law firm

Reviewed on 22/07/2019

Our greatest benefit to date was when we added the payment links to our invoices and the speed we are now getting paid by clients. They love the online ability to pay for their bill and we love the speed it's processed in. The ease that the monthly billing process has become has also freed up a tremendous amount of time for staff.

Pros

The Clio platform was very easy to implement with our firm's daily usage. The onboarding process was smooth and the learning and transition for staff were easy. The software is meeting our firm's needs on a daily basis. I also appreciate that they listen to suggestions and continue to improve and add features throughout the year. Clio has allowed our monthly billing process to go from a day-long process to an hour process.

Cons

Some of the reporting features need to be fine-tuned or added to. My biggest pet peeve is the limit of 50 items to a page, so you update to 200 but it defaults back to 50 every time you move around between pages.

Response from Clio

Thank you for the feedback, Tami! We've submitted your reporting recommendation to the Product Team for review. They will be sure to reach out if they require further context.

Jared B.

• Customer Support Software

Customer service makes all the difference.

Reviewed on 16/05/2017

All the information you need at your fingertips, anywhere in the world. Hassle-free and comprehensive customer service.

Pros

Packed with features. There is just so much that can be done with this software that a firm might not have thought to do with some of the older software platforms. Everything is secure and designed from a legal professional's viewpoint. Every person in our firm can handle a case from start to finish without leaving the Clio platform -- anywhere, anytime.

Also, the customer service should not be overlooked. When we were researching various platforms to take over for Time Matters (Practice Panther, Rocket Matter, MyCase, etc.) Clio was the only company that had a knowledgable onboarding professional at the ready. They were incredibly flexible with letting us extend our demo phase and spent many hours running through different functions with us. They even held a full-scale training session with our entire staff BEFORE we had signed up. Even after we purchased Clio, they continued to hold our hand through the entire implementation process. That sort of service made our transition into the cloud seamless and allowed us to really take advantage of cost-savings that we were aiming for.

Cons

The only issue that we've had so far is personalizing the goals on the dashboard page. It would be nice to have a more granular and specific revenue analysis for each attorney. Granted, we are still implementing other more important features firm-wide, so this hasn't been the highest priority, and it's more of a luxury anyway.

Jonathan S.

Clio is the Leader of the Pack

Reviewed on 09/10/2019

I have been using Clio for about 6 years. It has grown so much in that time. I am very pleased with the direction they have taken the product and I can't wait to see what else they come up with!

Pros

Clio is repeatedly at the top of the charts for available features. Clio is constantly working to improve their service and adding new features and functionality. We have had no problems to speak of. Any issues that we have had have been related to finding a particular option or feature.

Cons

I wish that Clio would support more advanced document generation. At present, it just does mail-merge-type generation. Substituting fields in Clio with a field indicator in a Word doc. I would love to be able to get rid of HotDocs and use Clio instead, but it just can't match what HotDocs can do. The other feature that I wish it supported is the ability for external uses (clients) to fill out forms or data, which can then be stored in Clio.

Brett C.

Clio Review

Reviewed on 12/12/2019

Our firm has a great experience. We have a single program which manages our entire practice. The new ClioGrow program even assists with lead generation.

Pros

This is an all inclusive practice management program which has great features and several integrations. It does everything needed to operate a law practice.

Cons

There is a learning curve to implement all of the features, but most programs would have a similar situation.

Adam G.

• Customer Support Software

An absolute necessity for modern law practice

Reviewed on 08/01/2020

Pros

Clio provides an awesome, constantly evolving practice management software solution for the small or medium sized law firm. The software allows attorneys and legal support staff to manage client information; keep track of time; push out bills; and run a number of different reports. Clio allows my own practice of two attorneys and one paralegal to work incredibly efficiently. Without Clio, I'd probably have to have at least one more staff member on payroll, just to do all the things that the product does for us.

Cons

If Clio could somehow integrate better with Quickbooks and/or Dropbox, that would be amazing. But I really have no complaints about the software. It's very useful even in its current format.

Nina R.

• Customer Support Software

Perfect Software for Law Practices!

Reviewed on 14/10/2019

Overall, Clio is an amazing software. It's easy to work with whether you're a computer wizard or not. I've trained several new employees who have not had any issues with Clio and have caught on real quick. Because of how easy, fast and organized Clio is, I 100% recommend this program.

Pros

This software is perfect. I like how it keeps client files, notes and funds along with other features organized. I like that we are able to share secure files with clients and that clients are able to make secure payments. Customer service when I can't figure something out or simply having issues with the software is amazing. No matter what the issue is if any at all, you have easy access to online videos and round the clock help that are able to help you right away. I love the new beta application and the upgrade that was recently done to the dashboard and the fact that if there is an issue with Clio or maintenance we get a notification letting us know right away.

Cons

The one thing that I found a bit confusing as well as some of our clients are the invoices. Sometimes there a little hard to read. However, once you get used to viewing them more frequently you obviously get the hang of it. To be more specific, the confusing part of an invoice is the bottom of the invoice the "Detailed Statement of Account." Either way, it's not a daily thing when explaining these to client's. However, that being said, Clio is very good at following up with any issues that anyone experiences in a quickly and professional manner to ensure we as a client/user are having a great experience.

Rosemarie B.

• Customer Support Software

Excellent software for my small firm!

Reviewed on 28/08/2019

I really love it. It has truly organized my finances at my firm. The BEST feature is your live help. They are so knowledgeable and so nice!

Pros

It is easy to use and not a lot of fuss to set up. AND the best live help!

Cons

I have a lot of flat rate-billed clients, unlike most lawyers. So I need more customization than others.

Michele R.

Clio is a great product

Reviewed on 26/07/2019

The attorneys and staff love using Clio. The law firm that I recommended Clio to has implemented it and is loving it as well. I have recommended to another firm who is currently looking into implementing Clio into their practice as well.

Pros

this software has helped our firm to revamp how we keep track of statutes, trust monies and has improved our billing practices. This software is easy to use and if I ever have any questions, the customer support is terrific.

Cons

I wish that they had someone come on site to train users, as I believe there are features that our firm does not know about or that we are not using Clio to it's fullest potential.

Ginger P.

Exceptional Value.

Reviewed on 04/11/2020

Exceptional, professional, easy to use, easy to learn. Simply far more wonderful than I ever expected.

Pros

The time and billing program is easy to use. Keeps you on track to bill clients timely, accurately reflects you day, unbilled time as well as billed time. Highly functional. Exceptional Customer Service. This is the best decision I made in years.

Cons

I do not have any Cons about the program. I wish I used it daily in the beginning of my learning curve.

Randolph M.

• Customer Support Software

Allows me to have a solo paperless practice; saves time and money

Reviewed on 30/10/2019

Clio has allowed me to structure my practice the way I want, solo and paperless. I have yet to find a SaaS that does not work or integrate with Clio. I can add and drop admin staff as needed easily. From the secure file sharing, to billing, to scheduling, to intake, everything is easy and intuitive.

Pros

Ease of use; value; a constantly growing list of features and improvements; easy compatibility with other software

Cons

Once you enter the Cliosphere, it seems hard to get out, although I don't think I'll ever have a need to change practice management platforms. I've already added Clio Grow to Clio Manage.

Simon B.

• Customer Support Software

Clio is a fantastic practice management software!

Reviewed on 16/05/2017

Pros

The user interface is intuitive and easy to use. You feel like everything is at your fingertips. This is particularly true if you use the customs matter and client fields to record data you want to have easy access to.

As well, Clio's customer support is great and the software is always improving.

Cons

Accounting and bookkeeping needs cannot be fully satisfied by Clio alone. I use Xero in conjunction with Clio and this combination works well, though the export of data from Clio to Xero is not seamless, particularly with respect to trust accounting. That being said, this solution is workable and can be fully compliant with Law Society of Upper Canada bookkeeping requirements. I have been through a spot audit and a full practice review and passed with flying colours.

The other main issue I have is that there is nothing in place to warn the user that there is no future court date diarized for a matter that is making its way through the courts. Without this check and balance, there is a risk of missing a court date if you forgot to put a new one in after the last one. The only way to make sure this isn't happening is to manually go through each open matter and confirm that it has a future court date input.

Susan C.

EFFICIENCIES that FACILITATE LIFE

Reviewed on 26/07/2019

Here's a huge benefit/hack that I've appreciated using CLIO for: I make Matters (case files) for things that aren't actually cases: one for "personal", several for boards and committees I'm on, and even my business (GIRL ATTORNEY, LLC), and related projects (GALCON). I use the software in all the same ways: creating and relating contacts, keeping track of communication, creating task lists, etc... I really hub my whole life out of the CLOUD-BASED software, and this EFFICIENCY substantively facilitates my LIFE: law firm, personal life, business. I'm a huge fan.

Pros

The ability to manage case and contact communication is SO NIMBLE, it makes it so easy to keep up and pick up where you left off with professionals from other matters/cases. That kind of seamless connectivity is important, allowing me to leverage professional relationships already forged/earned...but otherwise forgotten under the volume of the work (and the passage of time!).

Cons

I still haven't found an easy-enough (for me) way to be sure that I am using the software in as many ways as I could. I am mindful that I am under-utilizing it.

Susan M.

• Customer Support Software

Excellent time management program for the small law firm

Reviewed on 12/05/2020

It is excellent time and billing and getting payments into files. I have two attorneys on commission and the reports are easy to use to calculate their commissions each month.

Pros

Easy to enter time on cases, excellent reports, and compatible with Quickbooks, Outlook and LawPay.

Cons

We have not used the production of documents section since it does not seem very user friendly. Also since the product only updates every few hours, I am unable to use CLIO as my primary calendar. It also forces us to add a step to have it sync to a particular case. Those two areas could really use some work.

Rebecca H.

Clio Review

Reviewed on 29/06/2019

I made a suggestion to them and within a month they made the software change. I have also never had a system down or slow and that is great.

Pros

Quick set-up. It is on the cloud and was easy to add multiple users. Pretty intuitive and easy to figure out. All programs require you to learn their methods.

Cons

I have not had the time and don't believe I have the right Microsoft programs to integrate Word and Outlook into Clio so my systems have gone another way. Wish that had been easier to set-up. Use of the free Law-Pay through Clio was hard to set-up and difficult to figure out. Some of the terminology for billing is confusing when trying to transfer funds and billing takes a while to get use to.

Wendy M.

• Customer Support Software

Best Choice I’ve made for my practice!

Reviewed on 24/08/2019

Clio is like my second employee. It’s features have allowed me take control of my billing, improve work flow on cases with the personalized task list features, and offer client’s a specialized experience by having their personal portal for documents, a calendar with important dates and tasks I assign to them and their invoices.

Pros

I use to struggle with billing clients, and now, the ease of work flow with Clio from recording client time to generating the invoice and receiving quick payment from clients has liberated me! I now have more time to devote to client files and work on client growth. The real bonus Is the mobile app. It has all of the necessary features to keep up when I’m out of the office like recording time, client file info, documents, notes, tasks, and many more.

Cons

I can’t say I disliked anything. It’s like buying a smart phone and only using the phone to make phone calls. Clio is extremely easy for the basic use, plus if you explore all of the features by watching the videos, reading the help tab info, and even using the help desk, they are nearly limitless and you can mold them to your practice and probably find any feature you are looking for.

Bethany G.

User Friendly

Reviewed on 26/09/2019

It keeps us very organized and on top of our clients. I am still learning the billing aspect of the program but it has been extremely helpful when answering clients questions. There are still so many features of the program I have yet to learn but it only grows us stronger as a company.

Pros

The Calendar is a lifesaver! I love that we can attach the case number and keep track of when the hearings are scheduled by looking up the clients name and calendar. Also being able to attach a matter to other contacts saves a lot of time.

Cons

The billing is hard to understand for our clients. We have attempted many different features to explain the bills that are mailed out but clients have a hard time understanding what part is the bill that they owe and what they have in their trust. We are still working out the kinks. Also with our Non-billable court appointed cases we often need to put in different billing amounts for the same attorney but that option is not available. For example In Court pays different the Out of Court. We can only bill at one rate. I also would like it if I could select multiple people for an event on the calendar other than just one person and the firm.

Alex B.

Great, Simple Cloud Practice Management

Reviewed on 25/06/2017

Clio allows us to be more efficient. It is not cheap, but remember that you are not spending money on a server or an IT company. And it allows our team to work from anywhere - car, home, coffee shop, ...

Pros

The interface is simple. Non-computer folks are able to use it quickly. Integration with Outlook (contacts, tasks and calendar) great for us. They also make constant updates that are great to see. They are now integrating with Office 365 directly instead of a desktop app. I understand that integration with gMail is even better (but we like O365). Time keeping is also easy. There are also lots more features than we are using, but we have them on our roadmap to implement (like document automation).

Cons

Would like to be able forward Clio notes via email by just clicking a button. We used Clio notes to keep a running update on the case between team members. Also, when there were some significant tech support issues , Clio was slow to react (keeping in mind that an impaired Clio impacts my business). But once they acted (Twitter was a great way to get their attention), they fixed the issues promptly.

Dawn G.

I couldn't practice without Clio

Reviewed on 26/06/2019

Pros

I like the user interface and how easy it is to figure things out. And if I can't, it's always user error and the tech support team is always very responsive, patient, and helpful. They are also very receptive to suggestions for changes. It also integrates with a lot of other software I use for credit card payments, scheduling, legal forms, etc.

Cons

There is a tiny lag that requires a refresh when creating documents from templates, but this is just my impatience.