Looker

Customer Support Software
4.7/5

Excellent BI tool

Reviewed on 11/04/2021

In general it's really helpful and intuitive, after switching from other product it took very short time to get used to looker

Pros

It's really user friendly and easy to present or store data from other sources.
It has a lot of chart types and ways for presenting data.

Cons

Sometimes it lags when using big data sets, so it takes some time to render the complete report.
When building a report dimensions search also get some lag.

Amy A.

Looker makes BI & analytics easy

Reviewed on 14/03/2017

Looker allows you to get up and running quickly with it's prototyping capability and LookML functionality. It makes it easy for our enterprise data team to get data in front of the customer quickly while then going behind the scenes and adding it to our data warehouse. It's ease of use and value for the money allows it to meet our needs as our corporate BI/analytics tool!

Pros

Ease of use, monetary value and ability to prototype and show data quickly. Their CS team (our account exec and technical support rep are amazing) and support are the best vendors I've ever worked with.

Cons

Performance issues, it's a new product so some standard features it's missing - around mapping separate projects together, some access/security features, and lack of self-service model layer.

Lucas L.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Review from Lucas

Reviewed on 25/06/2019

Pros

Versatility
Programming on LookML
Adjustable settings
Different type of viz
Features, like trigger scheduling, etc

Cons

Time to render
Time to run queries
Most of our users complain that Looker is slow, and that's super important. Maybe the main problem is our Redshift DW and we have to tune. We're changing to snowflake and I hope the query time changes.

• Industry: Legal Services

Best Software Available for Centralized Analytics

Reviewed on 05/10/2017

Pros

I like that the software is web based so it can be accessed everywhere. I am also really happy that analytics is now completely centralized in my company. This makes helping people get the data that they need so much easier, and I do not have to spend much time on ad hoc queries anymore.

Cons

I do run into query performance issues when there are multiple users querying at once. There is also a pretty large initial investment when setting up the implementation.

Emily M.
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals

• Customer Support Software

Great tool...but hard to learn

Reviewed on 19/03/2018

Pros

I use Looker for two reasons. 1) to see my sales statistics and 2) to pull lists of subscriber data. Looker truly helps you to understand your data better than other tools.

Cons

I've had a steep learning curve with this tool. There's not a lot of formal training opportunities or help documentation.

• Customer Support Software

Great support, great people, great product!

Reviewed on 05/10/2017

Pros

Support! Smart people that give quick and accurate answers. Ease of use and simple flow makes it easy to learn and teach

Cons

Visualizations seem a little immature for the product but hopefully with the newer version, we can download js visualizations on our cloud instance

• Industry: Financial Services Software

Really powerful but difficult for some colleagues to pick up

Reviewed on 30/11/2018

Pros

It's amazing for any deep data analysis, exporting segments, and stat dashboards, once all your dashboards are set up, comprehensive real time stats are available at the click of a button.

Cons

Because it's such a comprehensive product, it's quite daunting at first glance. We've had trouble with some of our less technical team members taking the 'I don't understand Looker' stance before giving it a proper go.

Veronica M.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Looker Brings A New Meaning To Big Data

Reviewed on 05/11/2018

Pros

Looker has been amazing with the data and analytics they provide. We've been able to make so many significant improvements to our client experience across the board!

Cons

It does get a bit overwhelming at times to see just how much insight you can get into your business. Just stay the course,

Cedric Y.

Great way to get all your analytics in one place

Reviewed on 12/08/2017

Pros

Looker gives you custom looks on your database. It's extremely useful and it's like excel on steroids. The custom calculations are quite useful. My company loves it.

Cons

It could have better slack integration so we could get daily reports not just sent over email but also through a native slack app.

Christy L.

• Customer Support Software

There was a bit of a learning curve, but overall the product is really great for visualizing...

Reviewed on 06/10/2017

Pros

Customer support is amazing! The love the live chat feature in Looker. Someone is always prepared to help and gets back to me if they can't. There was one time customer service emailed me with a very in depth analysis and guide to one of the variables that was populating twice.

Cons

The learning curve dissuades some people from becoming proficient in Looker. I think the in person guides help, but this problem would probably exist with similar platforms.

• Industry: Food & Beverages

Taking Business Intelligence to the next level

Reviewed on 16/11/2017

Pros

Looker have done what most BI tools are missing, they managed to create a tool that can be used both for nice visualizations, but also to do deep data analysis. I love how everything is flexible, and its always possible to explore your data a step deeper.

Cons

Im still missing some flexibility compared to do data analysis in pure SQL and Excel. The price is in the high end compared to the competitors

Brian N.

Excellent Support from the Looker Team

Reviewed on 14/03/2017

Having worked with several traditional on-prem BI solutions in the past, I appreciate the ease of getting Looker running within our current environment. The customer support team is readily accessible when we have questions. New feature requests are quickly prioritized and we have seen a multitude of feature added that we've discovered as potential use cases within our company. The team is responsive and willing to discuss whatever we need to be successful in our BI environment, whether that is best practices around data architecture, specific implementation guidance within Looker, discussions of other technical products, or any other questions that might arise.

Amazing experience

Reviewed on 15/11/2017

Pros

Ease of use and amazing customer support are by far their best selling features. As a developer it's invaluable to have someone right away to help you with your problem, saving a lot of time and patience

Looker allows the entire company to be able to utilize the data platforms we have without a strain on the data analyst resources.

Cons

There are some limited functionality when it comes to the direct sql manipulation in the backed in conjunction with the sql derived tables

It seems most explores are very specific to teams and therefore new users sometimes get confused where to start looking and how to go about finding the answers to their questions.

• Industry: Food Production

• Customer Support Software

Implementing Looker and using their LookML has been fairly easy. Customer support is phenomenal...

Reviewed on 05/10/2017

Pros

I have the ability to create PDTs, schedule Looks to be emailed out on a certain frequency, standardize metrics across the board.

Cons

I can't do a select distinct on via the explore and it is something you kind of have to do on the backend (in a lookML view/explore).

Braden C.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Plug it in, Plug it in.

Reviewed on 26/11/2018

Pros

I've used Looker in a few different platforms and it always works as expected.

Cons

I feel I have to click more than I should to get the right view. I think the UI could be simplified and updated.

Ashante C.

Key Metric Reporting is cooler now

Reviewed on 19/06/2018

Pros

I love this tool as I've used the Microsoft Power BI and SAP tools for years to run reporting and to show our KPIs for our local department and our region. With Looker, not only I or a few key managers, but all the team can run queries to visualize our key metrics and to see where we stand from week to week.

Cons

Not really any cons, but I would love for Looker to give us the ability to access real-time data and see a query automatically update within a given dashboard.

Christina M.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

LOOKERS

Reviewed on 08/11/2016

Looker allows me to visualize data from my paid marketing programs. It is easy and simple to use both in nature and for use on a daily basis. It is easy to draw conclusions, visualize trends, and create formulas and filters without the needed background/degree as a data analyst (I do not have an SQL background).

Pros

Ease of use.

Cons

On the left-hand side, it can be difficult to see what the selections are at a quick glance in order to uncheck a field (when you cannot visualize a query)

An Excellent BI Toool

Reviewed on 22/08/2019

Very positive. They have a fantastic team and a great product to back it up. They solve a key business problem for us.

Pros

Looker has been an extremely valuable BI tool for our customers and our staff. We can crunch out very complex data set and produce compelling reports, that can automatically be emailed out.

Cons

As you'd expect, with complex data comes a complex interface. The options for customizing reports quickly become complex.

Faisal H.
  • Industry: Renewables & Environment
  • Used for 1-5 months

Complete package

Reviewed on 31/07/2019

Pros

Looker is an amazing software, in the hands of a well trained BI personell, it's functions are limitless. Relatively affordable too

Cons

Looker is a wonderful software, but you may need some training before you can use it.

Brandon W.

For Great Insights Go With Looker

Reviewed on 01/05/2019

Looker has been a huge help for our entire team in the few short months we've used it. Better than alternatives we've tried in the past.

Pros

The ability to segment reports and see customer engagement within our app is really helpful. Also, seeing what content is being consumed is helpful for our team.

Cons

Since you can customize reports so intricately, sometimes it can be difficult to navigate the platform. With more usage though, I expect that to get easier.

• Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

The best BI Platform on the planet.

Reviewed on 29/07/2021

Looker is a robust platform that will greatly help any business to grow.

Pros

Looker is a powerful and reliable platform for analytical work. Surprisingly, I also found it easy to use and it helped me achieve my goals.

Cons

The design of the platform could be improved, but saying that, it's not too bad. I would also like better documentation and tutorials.

Gal D.
  • Industry: Program Development

• Customer Support Software

Great BI Tool, easy to use, deploy and manage, both by developers and business users

Reviewed on 11/02/2021

It helping us give the business users access to our data models and get business insights.
Our R&D team is monitoring deployment of product using this data.
We are also give customer access to their data (with row level security)

Pros

very quick deployment, self serve abilities for the business users are very high.
Mediation layer management is very good, it is "Code" based and not setup based so it is very easy to replicate/versioning and find "Hacks" to many needs, and versioning is managed by GIT.
Support is amazing, always available.

Cons

Still lacking a little bit on the graphic side, Would really love to have some more buildin dynamic graphs.

Oracle Business Intelligence

Reasons for Choosing Looker

Ease of use, deployment and management

QlikView
Isaac P.

• Customer Support Software

Great software with continuus updates

Reviewed on 21/07/2018

Pros

I like that you truly do not have to understand SQL to end up being an expert and ask the ideal concerns in Looker. Looker is continuously making updates, they deliver really rapidly. I have a favorable outlook of this item.

Cons

I dislike for how long it takes given that it never ever truly caches the information. I need to truly make certain the questions I compose or the concerns I ask are really restricted as an outcome.

Daniel D.

Looker transforms companies

Reviewed on 04/08/2015

Pros

It's a great product for giving people in all departments of your company access to data and allow them to explore what your data can provide. Rather than having to always go to the Business Intelligence or Analytics team, people of any level can query data without any SQL knowledge or understanding and yield results that are either directly actionable or ask more questions that can be answered using Looker. We ran an initial 30 days trial with a view that only our analysts and BI team members would use it. By the end of the 30 days, everyone from the COO down to the account teams were using it. It's amazing.

Furthermore, the vendor is smart, responsive and constantly improving the product, delivering a new version approximately every month. Their customer service is second-to-none and they are always happy to hear about new features that you need in the product. Very pleased overall with their service, strategy and plan to expand our use of them to our clients over the next few months.

Cons

Looker are still very heavily US based. They have just started an EU office, but support is still largely limited to US West Coast hours (although they seem to wake up at stupid o'clock to deal with some of our issues and plan to have support in the EU soon).

• Customer Support Software

We've been using Looker since about an year. Our leadership loves it!

Reviewed on 06/10/2017

Our business users love the self-serv options that this provides. It drastically cut down the effort our analysts have to spend answering routine questions and allow them to focus more on the value added activities.

Pros

Things I like about this product:
1. Ease of use by our users - very intutive
2. Integration with our big data platform and databases. We use ours with Redshift and Aurora and they take most advantage of both systems.
3. Their super awesome customer support - always available chat who are really good at what they are doing.
4. Custom install options along with their hosted solutions.
5. Their whole team is involved with the product and customers top down. Really appreciate their responsiveness and customer-centric approach.

Cons

We really don't care about visualizations, but that can use some improvement to those who care.
The LDAP integration setup is a pain. It works well once it's all setup.
There is no roll-back once a version is installed. Work around is to restore from a backup. Would love to be able to do that as sometimes things don't always work the way we are used to and might require a rollback.