20,378 reviews

Slack

A single place for team communication and workflows

4.7 /5 (20378 reviews) Write a Review!

20,378 reviews
Chaya W.

Slack – Managing projects optimally

Reviewed on 18/04/2019

Slack is a tool which can be used as a project management tool for managing projects and also it can be used for internal communication inside a project group or a company. Each project group can have its own channels inside the company workspace. Communication through private and public channels has made Slack more popular among the users.

Pros

Slack can be considered as a project management tool. Slack provides both mobile version and desktop version applications where the mobile version is installed in the mobile phone so that whatever may be the situation user may not miss any important information about the project instantly. While the desktop version helps to transfer files of the working project easily while working on the project. Slack provides the facility to share the files, folders, audio and video clips, links. there are private and public channels in slack. Users can be added to these channels and if the users prefer they can have their own personal chats through slack. The emojis, stickers, GIF are also added In Slack to provide better user experience and attract the users with its familiar look to most of the social media or texting apps.

Cons

In order to use Slack users need to have a proper network connection. Without proper network coverage, Slack won’t work. Sometimes messages won’t be delivered to the other side after a selected time(10 PM). Unless the user sets his or her state into active user won’t receive notifications after 10 pm. If the state is away then the messages sent after 10 pm won’t be delivered till the next morning. Because of this sometimes users may miss some important messages. It is both an advantage and a disadvantage too. There is no mechanism to know whether the receiver read the message or not once a message is sent. The sender has to wait until other messages come from the receiver acknowledging that the receiver read the message.

Brandon S.
  • Industry: Biotechnology

The Best Instant/Group Messaging Platform on the Market

Reviewed on 13/02/2021

Slack is great at keeping people connected across companies and geographies. I use it both personally and professionally, and I it would be difficult to imagine not using it.

Pros

At least from my perspective, Slack pioneered the modern chat/channel communication platform and it offers the best and fastest experience. I love the seamlessness of switching from chats to channels and finding the thread I need at the moment I need it.

Cons

Unfortunately for me, I work in a Microsoft dominated company that will only pay for MS Teams. If Slack were a clear bargain, I might have a case to get them to switch. However, the paid versions of Slack are a decent chunk of change. That has meant that those of us who like to use Slack must do so on a free account.

Dulce L.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Best app for messaging!

Reviewed on 10/01/2021

Slack is very fun to use and easy to get used to. I think every company should use it.
It’s also very private so only people within the company have access to message you. External users cannot find you or message you. Great software overall!

Pros

This app is very easy to get used to and it’s very customizable. You can choose a color theme or create your own and manage which channels you want muted or you got want to receive notifications.
I also love that they have an mobile app, a desktop app or you can use the web browser to login. It’s a great way to communicate with colleagues 1:1 or by group chats (channels).
You can also generate polls or gifs in the chat bar, respond to messages in a thread to not overflow the chat with responses and react to messages with emojis. I love it. I’ve used it for years!

Cons

Every so often the software does have issues. It’s happened maybe once or twice a year where it crashes for a couple of hours and messages cannot be sent. I think it has to do with the server or something but it usually resolves pretty quickly.

Selcuk T.

Mostly reponses what a company needs but some improvement need in product

Reviewed on 22/12/2020

Overall it is fine. I enjoy the product. I would be happier with the features I mentioned above.

Pros

Useful, have a lot of features, making video calls, file sharing, adding bots etc. Product supported in variety of platforms, which is nice!
Macos, Windows, Linux, IOS, Android, and Web.

Cons

First of all, the product uses a lot of computer resources, which makes computer really slow. Especially having GIF emoji's in chat, even if the product in the background, uses a lot of CPU resource.
Second problem is about the video chatting. I started my job with an old Macbook, which is fine for most of the time. However, if I would want to make a video call/meeting with someone over slack, it is almost impossible to interact with my computer. I do remember myself asking the person that I'm talking, lets switch to Google Meet and continue from there, since I can't show what I need to show on my screen.
Third one also related to video chatting, drawing to someone else's screen is really good feature, I like it, but if the person you are drawing in their screen Zoomed in their Slack Messages, lines are not properly drawen in their screen. Slack dev team should calibrate that.
About getting calls, it rings all devices that you have logged in at the same time, which is annoying. there should be a feature, "Last/Mainly used device should ring first, if there is no answer, other devices can ring after 10 seconds or something." Because sometimes I even answer my call from my computer, but my personal computer still ringing, and the person who is calling me, also annoyed by that loud ring tone coming from my other computer.

John S.

There's Everything Else, Then There's SLACK

Reviewed on 12/11/2020

We were having to find a way of maintaining connectivity as the company went into a fully remote work environment. Prior to COVID 19 we were heavily dependent on in person communication to get tasks completed and communication organized. Post COVID we've actually increase our productivity in task completion and maintained or increased out teams communication and morale through the features of Slack. Without it out company would certainly have had a bigger negative impact from COVID, now we're not just surviving, we're thriving!

Pros

Mobile and desktop notifications, specific channels to tailor communication based on the audience, having a log history to lock back on, easily sharing files, integrations that make workflows easy, increasing productivity and connectivity with remote teams, creating a culture that cares

Cons

Nothing overly stands out as something that isn't to like. There's so many customizations and personalized controls that give the users the level of interaction that they want and need. Slack continues to set the bar.

Frankline W.
  • Industry: Banking

PERFECT BRIDGE BETWEEN AGENCY AND WORKERS

Reviewed on 31/10/2020

Slack qualifies to be the best collaboration tool of our generation with users navigating the app with quite a lot of ease. The experience at large is very positive and with such competitive prices, indeed there lies infinite potential with slack. It offers several intergrations iclusive of outlook and zoom among other essential plugins.

Pros

As a messenger app, the basic functions enabling communications are on a perfect edge with a simple, precise interface very easy to navigate. The search option comes in as a plus as you are able to trace your target messaage on a long thread with simple typing of words on the search bar. With slack, we are able to share files with quite a lot of ease and now with the IRC style, we can separate the conversation threads in the presence of multiple members in a team to set up off-topic discussions.

Cons

When sharing your screen with another team or individual, you have to go back to the initial chat to send a message, I would prefer this being done from the same UI of the screen-share. Also the limitation to the number of users attending a video conference does not confer with large organisations such as ours.

Daniel H.

Slack -- Great for Startup companies or enterprises

Reviewed on 12/10/2020

Collaboration problems solved. Excellent plugins, and even writing your own (for example have a Git commit hook setup, that shows any commit, and also, any deploys to staging and production, so the entire team can see what is happening.

Pros

Very easy to share files, and have separate conversation threads (IRC style), with multiple members of your team. You can create channels to and invite members to, to discuss a particular topic -- such names of different projects, or groups within the company. Really allows you to organize your thoughts and help manage your teams projects and tasks, as far as communication.

Cons

While it offers great collaboration tools, the actual project and task management is kind of lacking. Even though we use Trello and Jira (and you can have Trello and Jira plugins for Slack, but they don't really integrate into the UI), I wind up assigning and following up on tasks from within Slack. For example, i will message a developer and ask them to fix a list of bugs, or post 5 or 6 detail fixes/feature requests, after reviewing a new branch on staging.

The problem is that you then send subsequent messages on that channel, and the tasks get buried. Then you have to scroll up, and find the task, if you want to review. There is no way for the developer to mark the task as done, or for me to easily see if they did it. Sometimes, I will have to scroll back into conversation thread for weeks, to find the 5 or 6 requests I made to the dev, and then re-ask the dev if he completed them.

Now, this may be a nit unfair, since Slack is not a project management tool, however, it lends itself VERY EASILY to being one, since it natural to assign tasks within Slack.

The slack team could very easily build tasks as a native feature in Slack, and make collaborating on tasks and PM much easier, as it's too time consuming to hop into Jira each time a bug is found -- I simply don't have time.

Prince K.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

• Customer Support Software

One of the Best Collab tools!

Reviewed on 25/08/2020

Overall the tool is used to communicate and share files amongst your own team as well as other teams which are external to yours. Its great for announcements or even details that you can pin to each individual or team chat. The channels allow you even finer controls over who can see it, participate, as well as the overall purpose. Its a superb tool for having each team create their own channels as well as special channels which can be used for announcements, heads up, changes, basically anything you need to communicate across. It is everything you would expect in a collaboration tool.

Pros

Ease of use and the feature list is probably why this tool does so well. It even allows you to build custom apps that you can implement with your existing apps/tools for a more streamlines experience! Its honestly made life a lot easier to collaborate amongst team members, especially during Corona times and working from home.

Cons

There really isn't much about this tool that I don't like. It runs smoothly and constantly has new updates to make the experience even better. The only thing I can think of is that it can be resource intensive at times but honestly it has not slowed me down yet. Also, when sharing your screen with another team or individual, you have to go back to the initial chat to send a message, it would be nice if it can be done from the same UI of the screen-share. Well made tool overall!

Brian F.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Essential Communication Tool

Reviewed on 14/08/2020

I have been using it since 2015 and am a happy camper. Slack is a daily tech solution in working with others both professionally and for volunteer & hobby projects. I would be in so much aggravation if I had to deal with more emails, phone calls, texts, or heavens forbid, skype :-(.

Pros

I enjoy:
• the reduction in emails, text, and phone calls that Slack provides,
• the search function,
• how slack integrates with google drive,
• the easy to navigate communication options with direct communication, general communication, channel communication, etc.
• the cost is very reasonable and slack gives credits as well

Cons

The UX for administrative and management functions is less than ideal. Tasks like archiving/un-archiving channels or adding/removing users is needlessly complicated.
Simple functions that should be part of the platform are not readily available, which is a shame. There should be a organic drive section and task list section native to the platform that by default are turned on at start but can be hidden.

Alex B.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

The best chat application.

Reviewed on 17/08/2020

Slack makes team communication easy. I use it to send updates to team members, build relationships with team members (it's funny how much team culture and unity can be built on a strong foundation of memes), post polls, gather feedback on internal projects, get quick answers to quick questions, etc. Slack makes it easy to integrate, so I've used third-party integrations like HeyTaco for employee recognition. Slack makes it possible to do a significant portion of your work out of a chat app.

Pros

Slack has by far the best UI, the best organization, and the best set of features. Competing products like Google Chat (the business version of Hangouts) don't even come close. The most critical feature is being able to simultaneously log in to multiple Slack instances which each have multiple rooms, groups, etc. Slack makes text-based communication super easy.

Cons

It's pricey in comparison to some of the competing software (especially if your organization already uses G Suite, it may be a hard sell to move to Slack). Also, Slack literally makes me more of a slacker - it's too easy to BS with coworkers or members of other non-work-related slack groups when I should be working.

Arpine A.
  • Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Well-designed organizer for remotely working teams

Reviewed on 02/04/2020

I have started to use Slack with a small team, where we were doing a two-month long translation project. It was very easy to get integrated to the platform, everything was very intuitive. But the real amazement happened, when I started a programming course. There is a way to share your code the way it appears on your regular code editor, and this is what helps Slack to stand out from the similar products.

Pros

I like that there is no possibility to share the messages from private conversations and private groups with people outside of the group. As in the case of other messenger-type software, you can mention your colleagues in the conversation, and they will be notified. You can create as many channels as you wish, name them and also keep them private, so no one else can enter to the channel without permit.
Besides all of this a lot of personalization can be done thru status updates, photo, change the appearance, theme and many more.
It is also worth mentioning that besides website, there is also app, where you can get notifications, reply to messages and keep working while being far from your desk.

Cons

The main inconvenience or I would say discomfort, I have faced using Slack, is that you cannot see whether your colleague already seen the message or not. Well, this is not crucial, but as the interface gives an impression of a messenger, this would be nice feature to have.
Another discomfort was when I tried to enable desktop notifications, but they never showed up. After couple of days I understood, that I have blocked pop-ups from my Chrome, but Slack did not say me a word on that.

Danique T.

Best Software for Small Teams

Reviewed on 02/04/2020

I love Slack. I wouldn’t change Slack for any other chat app at work. For other situations other software such as WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger work just fine, but nothing beats Slack in the workplace. The customizability, the search options, the file sharing, the starring of messages, the pinning of messages, it all just works so well for the workplace.

Pros

What I like the most about Slack and what differentiates it from other chat apps in my opinion is the customizability. About two years ago my team decided to adopt a chat app just for work, and a colleague suggested Slack. He set it up for us where our Google calendar is connected, our Asana, and our Servicedesk. We have three different channels, one for communication, one for calendar notifications, and one for Servicedesk notifications. This reduces so much clutter and we can easily find what we are looking for. Every time anyone adds or removes anything from our shared Google calendar Slack notifies us. We also get a notification at 8am every morning with what’s on our calendar for that day, and we get a notification two hours before a calendar event. Whenever any other departments adds anything requests for our department through Servicedesk we get a notification with request description in Slack as well. Also, if anyone in our own team adds anything to our to-do list in Asana we get a notification in Slack, and if we’ve added something to someone else’s to-do list in Asana and that person finishes it, same story. The customization options are endless.

Cons

What I like the least is that in the free version there is a limit with how many messages you can send. So far we’ve been able to continue communicating with each other but I think that old messages get deleted, so if I use the search option to find a file that was shared or a message, and it was too long ago, I will simply have lost it. But I guess I would just have to pay for it. They have to make their money somehow.

Working from home? Slack is a game changer.

Reviewed on 27/03/2020

I did not really pay attention to the quality of Slack before being forced to work from home in this highly distributed, asynchronous mode. When you have to cope with working from home (and kids schooling from home), this is a very nice upgrade to emails and other forms of online collaborative tools. It's a one-stop shop where you can also see the notification from Google Doc edits, and even respond from Slack. It saves me a lot of time.

Pros

I've been using Slack for over 5 years now, I liked it. But for the past 3 weeks, with the pandemic outburst, my organization switch to a full work-from-home environment, and Slack has been a game changer for our company. The thing I love with Slack is the integration of your whole work ecosystem within the app: you can attach your G-suite credentials, and Slack will send you reminders for your next meeting, with a direct link to the Google Hangout URL if your organization uses it. Now that we need to have all our standups and daily meeting in an on-line form, this feature has turned to be a real boost in my productivity. You can also see the status of your co-workers, if they're available or already in a meeting. And if they are, you can leave a message on Slack, they will respond when they can in an asynchronous way.

Cons

The learning curve is a bit steep as many shortcuts and integrations are not necessarily very intuitive to learn. Also, there is a risk of being overwhelmed with a multiplication of Slack channels you can subscribe to, and getting too many notifications that can become a distraction. But that's the flip side of having a central tool for all your online collaborative work.

Steve M.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Slack is the best chat app, but don't use it as a wiki or PM tool

Reviewed on 31/12/2019

Slack effectively solves our need for real-time communication. We use the chat, voice and video calling options. It's a great tool and better than most other chat alternatives, but don't be tempted to use it to manage projects, store documentation, or give structure to files. You'll soon be overwhelmed by the lack of structure.

Pros

I love Slack's ease of use and simplicity. New users can get up to speed quickly and begin using fun features like @mentionds, /gifs and :emojis: The file attachments and search speed are well done.
Slack's real power is in all the integrations, so I love being able to hook up a dozen or so apps and collect all my notifications in one place. Also, the freelancer community has embraced Slack because of their free/cheap plans, so it's very convenient to keep in touch with a variety of contractors by just inviting them (since most already have their own Slack plans).

Cons

Slack isn't great at providing structure to your work-life. The #channel structure does aid in some structure, but Slack's support for threads is awful--they don't make any sense, and most people can't figure out how to use them. These deficits are offset somewhat by searchability, but for the most part you'll just be scrolling through endless conversations if you want to find a particular piece of info.

Rocky K.
  • Industry: Higher Education Software

• Customer Support Software

Emails dropped dramatically, and team communication is at a all time high.

Reviewed on 07/12/2019

The CEO used to send giant massive emails to various team members. 45 responses later, it gets forwarded to everyone else. Now, the CEO communicates all of his ideas via Slack, the team picks it apart and makes modifications, and then it's only 1 single email that identifies the project outline.

Pros

It's really easy to get started. A user signs up, gets welcomed, and they can immediately be productive. You can even become a super Slack user and learn all of it's features within an hour.

Threads and Direct Messages have changed our we communicate.

There's a lot of integrations to simplify your life. Calendar apps to remind you of dates. Not to mention easy to develop bots for automation.

Cons

Slack is a tool, and if a company fails to identify the ground rules, it can be useless. The organizations that dislike using slack often have not defined rules around using it. For example: messaging people at 10pm isn't a problem - as long as you're okay with not getting a response. Another is passing communications to the right channels - dumping everything into General can cause message overload.

It can get very pricey with a large team.

• Industry: Printing

Great for Teams no matter where they are!

Reviewed on 05/12/2019

Slack has really impacted the way our team works. One of the reasons we looked at Slack was to improve collaboration between team members who aren't in the same location at our campus or happen to be working remotely. We had hoped to get the whole company using it. Unfortunately, most non-technical teams couldn't get a grasp on how to integrate it into their workflows. We wound up integrating Slack into our JIRA Help Desk instance and that was the magic we needed! Better SLA times. Better follow up, better follow through and better communication.

Slack replaced email for a lot of quick messages and being able to pin files and messages with important information made it easier than ever to keep everyone in the know and not locked away in an inbox! Our team loves Slack and we're always looking for new ways to use it.

Pros

Slack is easy to use and simple to integrate with other products. My team uses it not only for Help Desk Support request notifications, but also for group conversations on projects.

Cons

There isn't a lot that I don't like about Slack. If I'm going to nitpick, it's not that easy to explain how to use something like Slack for the non-technical / non-tech savvy user. One of our biggest issues was adoption outside of our software development team. While Customer success stories are great, a walk-through scenario would go a long way to helping give users ideas about how they can use it on a day-to-day basis.

Roberto antonio C.

• Customer Support Software

Slack is a great software to improve communication in a team

Reviewed on 20/11/2019

The customization of Slack is not aesthetic, but it is about creating a workspace with the conditions needed by each person and each office. With that we can maintain a very good performance and is a constant experiment among developers because we try new options. In this way we can adapt Slack to our needs.

Pros

Slack is a very powerful software. It works great as a chat, but it's more than that. It is possible to respond to threads to maintain a conversation apart from the main one, to have channels to speak by topics, to give permissions so that a person can respond to a channel or another one, etc. It allows to control in many ways all the configurations that can occur to me to improve the communication in the equipment.
It also integrates perfectly with other software, such as GitHub or Trello, for example. It's great because everything is in the same workspace, so I can concentrate on my work.
The search bar is perfect: you can search for messages, sent files and within the same documents. This powerful functionality is perfect when we work with a lot of documentation.

Cons

Slack notifications sometimes take time to arrive, even though the message arrives instantly. It can be up to 5 minutes late, which is annoying if we are working hard and if time is a key factor at the time. It happens many times when you send a message from the Android app, it's a bit strange.
Sometimes the Android app has unexpected shutdowns, even though it doesn't consume many resources.
At first can be a little overwhelming so many functions that has Slack, it takes a couple of days to adapt and customize the entire workspace.

Carlos fred C.
  • Industry: Financial Services Software

• Customer Support Software

Slack: a good business instant message application

Reviewed on 11/11/2019

My experience with Slack has been really good.
Slack helps me a lot on my daily activities and even more when I'm working from a remote location or inspecting something and need to interact with our team at the main office.

Pros

Slack is easy to use and its interface is very similar to other IM applications we have been using for years.
That makes the transition from whatever IM software currently in use to Slack quick and smooth.
In our company, nobody needed to be trained to use Slack and users went well with the transition process.
Slack allows users to customize their names, profile picture, and current status.
It's also possible to send messages to individuals, groups of people, and into channels.
Users most commonly send text messages but they have the option to send screen captures, pictures, and files in general at their own convenience.
A very useful resource in my opinion is the ability to create shared channels where you can add people from outside your organization as well as users from other Slack organizations.
With this feature, you can create a support channel with a service provider and have quick interaction with them, for example.

Cons

I don't have too much complaints about Slack.
One of them is that as an Administrator, I believe that the management interface is a bit confusing.
Sometimes it takes me a while to remember certain basic operations because Slack has its own way of having that done.
Also, I had issues with some of my users a couple of times because of bugs with Slack application.
The last I remember would freeze half of the user's screen so nothing shown in that area was clickable of selectable.
Closing and reopening Slack would temporarily solve the problem.
I contacted Slack support and they confirmed that as a known issue and that would be fixed soon with a software update.

Elliot R.

A great company communication platfrom

Reviewed on 25/10/2019

Our business has used Slack to increase our interdepartmental communication as well as communication with external companies. It really is a more convenient method of communication than email threads.

We have channels with questions for different departments that can be searched prior to submitting a new question (saving time by reducing repeat questions).

We have also had great experience in using different channels for different levels of support. The "Emergencies" channel has someone monitoring it at all times and this can make a large difference in being able to track and support team members who are working outside of regular business hours.

Pros

I love the ease of writing and tracking communication with others in the company. Multiple channels and integrations mean that each employee can customize the messages that they want to receive. The integrations also mean that different departments can use Slack to communicate, but then still keep their internal tracking and project management tools.

The search function also means that I can know I've had a Slack conversation even months ago with specific information in it and I can at any time pull that info back up. The efficiency with searching and saving info means I can also use Slack to store answers to questions for later retrieval.

Cons

There is a bit of a "setup" curve for brand new employees while they determine which channels they need to be involved in and which to follow and those they can disregard. The very features that make Slack so helpful for experienced users can be intimidating at first.

Erik M.
  • Industry: Security & Investigations

• Customer Support Software

The BEST tool for interoffice communication and filesharing

Reviewed on 24/08/2019

Slack has improved my team communication and collaboration exponentially. I can't say enough good things about the developers and the incredible tool they have built. Every time I interact with the interface I am amazed at the ease of use. Slack has also never crashed on me - not once.

Pros

Slack is so robust. You can send files, GIFS, video, have team video calls and create channels for your team to chat together. When sharing links, there is an option to display rich content previews, and you can even make your own emojis. The customization is endless. It is incredibly powerful even as a free version. Once I unlocked the paid version, having access to all of my archived files just took it to the next level. I highly recommend Slack for any size team and have used it for about 4 years.

Cons

I have no complaints about Slack. I believe their pay-gate in the free version restricting access to files past a certain time period is completely fair, and the support and interface they offer is unlike any other. Being able to search back in chats for exactly the file or conversation someone referenced without having to bother them again for the details.

Meisha B.

Our Go-To Communication Channel

Reviewed on 08/08/2019

Great communication tool for teams and businesses—saves time and makes collaboration more efficient.

Pros

I switched from using Skype at my last company to using Slack, and boy was it an upgrade.

First and foremost, Slack is incredibly easy to learn and get used to. Once you're in there, it's easy to pick up on the nuances and other little hacks to make using the tool easier and more fun.

I love the SlackBot, which can help set reminders and integrates with other tools (ex: Google Drive) to send updates on any comments, changes, etc.

You can have group chats with up to 8 people, so organizing multiple conversations is relatively easy—though you cannot add someone to an existing chat/conversation, you'd have to set up a new chat with all parties.

One of the other great features is the file-sharing functionality, where you can easily send over files, images, etc. for review and feedback. It saves a lot of time and reduces email clogs.

Slack also offers a mobile app for on-the-go communication. It has been a bit buggy in the past (randomly stops working/shuts down) but has gotten better over time.

Cons

As with most products with a paid solution, the free version does have a few limitations. With the free version, you can only see the last 10,000 messages—which sounds like a lot, but it can be a pain when searching for something mentioned in the past that's no longer available.

And, not that this is necessarily a con, but it's important to be mindful of the information you share on Slack (or any other communication platform!). Admins can see everything that is shared and conversations can be requested for review.

Sergei G.

• Customer Support Software

The unbeaten king of communication tools.

Reviewed on 27/06/2019

I doubt I could ever use something that isn't Slack, probably due to the fact there is just nothing that even comes close to its balance of features and fun. Which is kind of sad as its clear Slack stopped innovating as soon as it noticed it pretty much had a monopoly on workplace communications.

Pros

Slack biggest achievement and PRO is making workplace chat fun, be it by fun emojis, gifs or reaction emojis to messages, or its sheer amount of customization options. Add to this the insane amount of project customization thanks to 3rd party integrations, and its clear why it's as of now still unbeaten. Also, the fact it has plenty of developer centric features such as syntax highlighting and impressive platform compatibility across OS just makes it even harder to compete against.

Cons

Slack's biggest problems are 2, performance, and price. Even on relatively powerful hardware, Slack is prone to having performance issues, probably due to the fact its built with web technologies which are great for compatibility reasons, not so much for performance. Also, their pricing model makes it pretty much impossible for small companies and groups to buy due to how expensive it is.

Janosch F.

This is the new way to communicate online

Reviewed on 12/05/2019

I use Slack for daily communication business and to stay connected to coworkers and suppliers distributed among different locations. We have implemented Slack as a missing link that smoothly makes working with people on the other side of the country as if they would be sitting in an office just down the hallway.

Pros

Slack is simple, it is easy to use it has a lightweight user experience thus, at the same time is very powerful. In day to day routines it is just a great way of communicating (chatting) with coworkers. Perfect, reliable, fast asynchronous communication. Then someone tells you something you need to remember next week- use integrated reminders, that send you a message when you need it. Or you want to share your desktop real quick, to sho someone something in order to get their opinion. Slack has you covered. Or have a video call with someone or even a group of people. There you have it. Share files ? No problem. Want to have your conversations deleted after a while. there you go. The most impressive thing about all this is the simplicity and ease in which these features integrate into the core functionality which is a chat. Bravo !

Cons

Some of the features seem - behind the scenes - not optimized allready. Sharing data from my mobile device require it for example, to be uploaded first and then downloaded to the recipient. It works, but it takes more time and, I don't care when it is on the server I only care for it to reach the intended recipient(s). Synchronize it to the server whenever its suitable. Connection and reconnection gets tangled up sometimes, with Slack insisting that there is no connection available although all other applications have reconnected already. This however is complaining on a very high level, as these issues are really minor compared to almost all other platforms for online communication I have used.

• Industry: Graphic Design Software

Great for virtual team collaboration

Reviewed on 03/04/2019

Since I use it everyday, I would say this is has become an invaluable tool for me and collaborating with colleagues (w/the exception of not being able to see msg history beyond 10k). I would recommend this to anyone who works virtually OR if you're like me and drown in emails.

It doesn't matter if you are in a tech field or not: if you can text an use social media, you can juse Slack. bottom line, it's a WIDELY used tool with a growing number of other app integrations that the paid version allows you to seamlessly tie your [communication] workflow together. I resisted for a while but now I can't imagine not having it.

Pros

- Slack allows me to commimicate in real time without using email with clients and colleagues all over the country & the world. The free version doens't have as many features as paid, but still robust enough to work for a small 1-man shop
- Channels (topics/groups) allow for communication on a topic w/only relevent members (by invitation). preventing tons of emails to track = it's all in one place, in timeline format; this allows you to see who wrote what, when and, whatwas shared (urls, files/photos, etc).
- Direct/private chats for more sensitive info
- Notification types vary based on your set preferences: when you're mentioned in a channel, indexing keywords. w/hashtags for searching history (like bookmarking).
- Video conference calls (paid version allows for up to 15 participants, screen sharing, more storage space & unlimited msgs)
- Save comments for later w/reactions or saves to something shared.
Clients can be invited to channels and only see that channel's content, allowing things to continue.
- File sharing, video calls & integrating with lots of other software/services listed on their site) combines all communication in one tool reducing the need for emails
- Cost for the paid plans is relatively nominal and since it elminates the need for emails in many cases, it ultimately pays for itself by saving time + the additional features you get.
- Online access to customize your account
- Multiple teams (i.e. 1 for your main business, 1 if you're invited, etc

Cons

Based on my experience using the free version, I find some of the features to be less intuitive = I can't be sure if I can integrate something for a smaller fee or if it's only available in a paid plan.

Since many chats tend to grow over time, the free version limits you to 10k messages; you'd be surprised how fast that gets used up. If you try to search for something once you exceed 10k msgs, you may not have access to it. (I get it, it's the free version but it's like texting for business. 10k is small in grand scheme of things so you have to remember to save things you really think you'll need or you'll lose them.

Slack for Team Communication

Reviewed on 15/01/2019

We use Slack as an internal team communicate tool for transparency of discussions with team members in multiple time zones and also to encourage team bonding. Direct messaging is also conveniently located here and since most of the devs on my team don't actual bother to login to the company mandated direct messaging team, it's easier to get ahold of them.

Pros

My previous experience with group real-time communication was IRC. As an employee who had just barely gotten their toes wet using terminal, IRC was intimidating to run and intimidating to find any past conversations because searching it required terminal commands and a third party plugin to just login. It also did not retain history when you signed off, so as one who is on a team that includes people in no fewer than 3 time zones, I often missed communication when I went home. It took some prodding to get our team onto Slack, but once we were on all, we didn't look back. Slack's support of custom bots was, ironically, one of the determining factors for migrating, but we heavily use the drag and drop interface to share files and images all the time, and also push out GitHub notifications from cli testing into our channels. Being able to pin resources to channels and having the little channel blurb at the top has also allowed us to sub-divide into teams and have critical resources for each team (ticket tracking, zoom link, etc) at the top.

Cons

I'd say the one downside I feel about Slack is that while they did do a good job improving their search, I still find myself struggling to find things I know I favorited and I can't search favorites. I also wish I was able to tag favorites with my own set of tags.