3,147 reviews

Gmail

Free email and inbox management app, from Google

4.8 /5 (3147 reviews) Write a Review!
4.7
4.5
3,147 reviews
Funsho R.

Reviewed on 17/11/2020

I have had great experience using G-mail, It very easy to use and simple to understand .

Pros

I use G-mail like everyday. I use Both the Web and the Mobile App. Gmail is great. It's easy to Set-up and has greats features like the Hangouts which allows you to chats from anywhere, The Conferencing which allows you to have a Video Conferencing, Compose features which allows you to send information and also attach files. The Inbox helps you to view and Organize your Messages. Gmail also have the Signature Features and the Security is very Strong.

Cons

I love the ability to Control my Subscriptions on My mail, so as not to be receiving Spam messages. G-mail should also work on improving It's Security.

Sejal S.
Industry: Banking

Gmail Review about the folders

Reviewed on 08/06/2020

It is good but they have a huge competition with icloud from Apple.

Pros

The best part is that the most important emails are in my primary inbox, and the rest of them go into updates or promotions.

Cons

When I am waiting for an email and it is in updates or any folder but primary. Make your system stronger to categorize emails. One time I was waiting on an email from my job which was due in 48 hours but it was shifted to updates instead of primary and I did not receive the email.

Industry: Accounting

Must have

Reviewed on 25/10/2020

Very satisfactory

Pros

Before, we were using our old way(Outlook) to check our official emails. How super happy to use Gmail.
It's a sepuer easy to use, and we can use it on the phone.

Cons

Hard to find anything I least like or dislike.
This is must have a type of tool.

Quinton S.
Industry: Information Technology & Services
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Wont fail with GMAIL

Reviewed on 27/07/2020

I have a had a great experience with Gmail ,I've used it not only for personal user but for college use as well and it has been the easiest way to check my email, that is why it is my default app.

Pros

What I liked most about the software is the ease of use, I've used other email platforms in the past and it seems that this is has been the best experience for me. I like how the software is able to put all my promotional emails in one group instead of having it spread out in my inbox. The color coding of the emails is especially helpful so I can search for what I'm looking for a lot faster. Within an email the reply, forward, print and block email options in one location is perfect. Lastly, the auto typing and autocorrect feature is great! its like the program knows what I'm going to type before i type it, and it adds better choice of grammar.

Cons

There isn't much I don't like about this app, IF I had to choose one it would the grouping of promotions feature. Yes its awesome that it has this feature, but it would great if it grouped like promotions in order.

Maher H.
Industry: Education Management

Easy to use and offers many features

Reviewed on 16/05/2020

Gmail has been a very positive experience for me. I've been using it for about 10 years and it has just kept improving. Now, it is also adding new features to help people during quarantine such as starting a video meeting with people.

Pros

The best feature that gmail has to offer is definitely categorizing received emails into categories. When you go into settings and enable this feature, it puts emails received into 3 categories; primary, social, and promotions. Because of that function, the inbox is a lot more organized and allows the more important emails such as emails received from colleagues or other students to be seen immediately. It also increases the likelihood of them responding since the email was easy to find. Another feature I love is the unsend feature. If i realize that I may have made a mistake after an email was already sent, I can press the unsend button and fix the issue. Even though it's limited to 30 seconds, I've used it countless times.

Cons

The main aspect of gmail that needs improving is its spam recognition. Recently, spam emails have been finding their way into the primary inbox even after the sender has been flagged. Another improvement that gmail needs is increasing the size limit of attachments. Currently, a few photos that are high quality easily reach the attachment limit of 25mb.

Industry: Retail

Great and continuing to add features

Reviewed on 13/05/2019

Pros

So many of the things that Gmail was first to do are now common in other email apps. But overall, it's nice to use a product that's part of the larger Google platform for easy access to calendars, shared documents, etc. I like that I can use the Gmail application for managing email for my website to keep that domain name in my email address (via G Suite). I like the many ways you can filter messages, setting rules for handling certain messages, etc. There are also many helpful ways to search your inbox and folders. I've also been impressed that they continue to add features, although it's always behind the newer competing email apps. They basically copy the cool features that other apps do, but I'm okay with that.

Cons

I've been using Gmail for a long time, so for several years now I've had to pay for extra space, which I don't like. But I also realize that sounds ridiculous. Maybe I just wish they would give you more space than they currently do. I can't imagine I have much more data than the average person... Here's another con that is probably ridiculous to complain about: they put too many good emails in Spam. I've missed some very important messages because of this. And I'd like to think that once I've "taught" it which emails are not spam, it would learn not to send emails from that sender to my spam, but it continues to send them there. I don't want to have to add the senders to my address book to work around this. Finally, I've almost always used other email apps on my phone because I don't think the Gmail app is anything special.

Arnaldo C.

Gmail an app that promises!

Reviewed on 27/10/2018

Pros

Gmail has been my favorite email app for more than 8 years, I must say it is an incredible application, I use it every day since I constantly receive emails from clients, partners and work, so I need to check my email trays constantly, I must say that it has never hit me or given me problems so the stability of the app is excellent.

In addition to this gmail has a number of add-ons that you can use to benefit, such as google drive, google hangouts and google + it is amazing how you can have everything within a single application and how they complement each other.

Gmail is a very easy application to use since in the main screen you can see all your messages directly, besides this you have a menu in the left part of the screen where you can choose the messages of promotion, social and normal messages, apart you have other options such as sent messages, spam erased among others ...

Another incredible thing about this app is that you can change gmail accounts very quickly and easily since it allows you to log several accounts at the same time and change them with a single click. the app is also very fast, the time that you have to wait for the new and old messages to load is very fast and this is an advantage when you want to respond to messages quickly, besides it has the function of writing several messages at the same time and leaving them as drafts waiting for you to come back and finish them and this is great!

Cons

Well, because not everything is always good, there are few things I do not like about the gmail app and one of them is that when you write a new message and add some files it is a bit difficult to do it from the phone, if you could do it a little simpler would be great, another thing is that when I send a message I do not get the notification of message sent or message waiting to be sent or message sent so I never know if my message has been sent really.

For my part these are the only things that I dislike, everything else I like and I'm happy with the app, I really think it's excellent!

Virginia B.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Gmail AKA the Ultimate Key to Business Organization

Reviewed on 30/07/2018

Pros

Gmail’s web-based email and storage service is the ultimate key to business organization. G Suite’s collaborative application suite for business and enterprise users has significantly enhanced our efficiency across our organization, allowing us to store and condense all of our work initiatives in one local area. Whether you use Gmail, Dropbox, OneDrive, etc. I would strongly recommend finding the best collaborative suite platform for your company and condense your work files, documents, etc. into one storage area that everyone (with permission) can easily access. Here are some of the main reasons we were swayed into using Gmail within our company.

Pros
Gmail’s free secure webmail platform, offers up to 15 GB of storage for personal use, with the option available to purchase more storage (cloud and Google Drive) on an as needed basis.

Gmail’s platform can be customized to a certain extend but generally keeps things clean and simple. Its search features save you from having to manually scroll and read past emails to locate the one you want; you can also set up personalized keyboard shortcuts to speed up the processes as well.

You can also organize emails via labels, this feature acts much like a file finder, in which you can create categorized folders to nest specific emails under and easily reference them/easy retrieval.

Time is of the essence in the business world, so the option to save emails, pre-written templates, and import contacts directly into the platform is great for accelerating email responses and keeping our clients from losing interest.

The definitive feature of G Suite Office Suite is the set of team collaborative tools available to you for sharing/file storage, creating forms (registration, survey, etc.), Excel, Word documents, and PPT with the option to collaborate in real-time.

G-Suite also includes video and conference calling, in which you can invite anyone to join by setting up a Google calendar invite.

Cons

Gmail’s email tracking is not the most suitable feature for those in marketing and sales, looking to keep track of open rates, link clicks, who clicked on the specific link, etc. But Google is completely transparent about this issue; Gmail’s documentation clearly states tracking may not be accurate, there are various factors you need to be aware of to make sure your actions don’t interfere with the tracking data. However, Gmail does easily support plugins you can add to allow for tracking (we use Lead Liaison).

Sending mass emails with in Gmail is not exactly feasible because of limitations in functionalities for personalizing emails.

Gmail does put ad placements on free on accounts, but they are pertaining to the contexts within your emails (so at least the trade-off is relevancy).

We have experienced glitches and dropped calls on numerous occasions when utilizing Google Hangouts for virtual meetings (because we run monthly webinars we moved to Zoom video Conferencing which you must have a plan to for the webinar add-on). Google Hangout only provides the option to screen share, etc. during virtual meetings from a laptop using a Chrome device, not practical for people on the go.

Ian M.

The ultimate in email search and storage

Reviewed on 24/07/2018

Pros

The best thing about Gmail without a doubt is, unfortunately, the least known. Google is well known as a search engine, but few seem to realise that search technology is applicable to email if they use Gmail. Of particular value is the ability to tailor the search to find just what you're looking for, such as an email from a person with a certain name who sent a picture between date X and date Y.

Additionally are labels. Why file emails in folders - put instead Gmail labels them and multiple labels can be applied, it's like having an email in multiple folders at the same time, this also allows for greater filtering to identifying specific emails.

Finally, there is the email storage. Personally, I delete emails every day unless it's related to work, income, or expenses; the result of this is that my Gmail account that I've had since 2011 has only used 5% of storage, I doubt I'll ever use up all the space as it keeps growing!

Also noteworthy are features such as the ability to marks email as starred and/or as important plus links to quick get to those emails. a recent addition is the ability to snooze or defer emails to a later time more suitable or appropriate for reading the email rather than filling up your inbox.

Finally Gmail, works seemlessly with every third-party email application I've used, all you need is your address and password to connect, jargon such as mailservers and SMTPs are entered automatically behind the scenes, this makes Gmail via third-party apps very user-friendly.

Of course, as it's a Google product, a Gmail account means you also can login to other Google products such as YouTube.

Cons

An unpopular feature is tabs that separate and emails by content into inboxes emails that are promotional, social, updates, and from discussion forums. This can help separate and prioritise email but I don't like it and it can easily be disabled, but it does mean newsletter providers are always asking people to move their emails to the primary inbox.

Another negative - depending on your perspective - is the automated analysis of your Gmail account (not by people leading to Google serving adverts relevant to you. I view this as a positive, but it can sometimes feel like there is no escape from an advert in an email that you showed interest in one time and which consequently shows up on websites you visit, but this is why Gmail is free.

Samitha M.
Industry: Research
Company size: Self Employed

Gmail - "I'm not moving to any other email product"

Reviewed on 29/04/2020

Gmail has offered me countless benefits.My overall experience is great on this application.It is effective, save time.and it gives you satisfaction.

Pros

Without gmail my all day-to-day work will fail.Gmail has been my favorite email app for more than 7 years. I have to use it every day. Actually, it was indeed an amazing discovery.Gmail is very easy application to use.I have to check my trays at least 15 times a day, so I should declare that gmail never given me a problem.Also gmail provides google handouts, the world most secure chat and video call application. In main screen of gmail you can see all your mails directly. The gmail application is well organized .In the left side it shows you the menu and other functions clearly. Also you can clearly see the messages from promotion and social. My essential thing in gmail is that can change gmail accounts easily and quickly. It allows you to to log several accounts at the same time and change them with a single click. It offers 15GB of storage for personal use. As a researcher the storage capacity is very important to store field data received by other field workers in daily. Another important item is able to organize emails through labels. It helps most of them to find files. In business field time is very important factor. So, gmail provides some of icons like "Thank You".....like that are very useful. Gmail is invaluable application to me.

Cons

It is hard to find cons regarding gmail. It always updating and improving.

Shari G.
Industry: Telecommunications

Best Email Software Ever Created

Reviewed on 24/11/2020

Will be using this software for the rest of my personal and professional life.

Pros

This app is the fastest email delivery app I have ever experienced. It has a grammar and spellcheck and also has predictive text so you can write simple emails and sound really professional. It gives you a quick moment to unsend an email before it is fully sent if there was an issue and it is void of blocking ads. Sending attachments is a breeze and having an email thread is extremely easy to follow with this software. Additionally, having a Gmail account is like having a VIP pass on thousands of websites!

Cons

The only thing I have an issue with is the promotions label, the software does not restrict vendors who can advertise to me based on location. The advertisements come in handy many times so I mostly enjoy this feature but sometimes there are offers for things that are not available in my location and it can be quite disappointing at times not being able to take advantage of them.

Mimi M.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Easy, UX-forward, unclunky email organizer

Reviewed on 14/04/2020

Very easy and intuitive to use, very organized (and allows for a lot of customization), quick chat functions are great. Overall an essential communication tool.

Pros

I have been using Gmail for years. It's by far my favorite; the storage is great (I do pay for more), the way you can organize by folders and subfolders is handy, and the way that Gmail also pre-sorts mail (Promotions, Social, Primary) is very helpful. I also love the unsubscribe button; though it doesn't always work, when it does - it is super handy and quick, ridding users of spam and deleting them off lists. Gchat is also a wonderful function. I use it on my phone and on desktop.

Cons

I don't like that you can't add more than one photo without linking people out of Gmail. There's not much that I DON'T like about Gmail, to be honest.

Sarah G.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 21/06/2020

I use Gmail for a personal account and for a professional account. I also use the linked Google features like Google Photo and Google Drive--and like both of those as well!

Pros

Some of my favorite features are the automatic organization of emails into different folders--I use the automatic 3 options of Primary, Promotions, and Updates, which is a great way to filter newsletters and automated emails into easy-to-access folders, without getting notifications for less-urgent/personal emails. I also use the app on my phone, which is great to check emails on-the-go. The user interface is clean and styles can be customized. Settings are easy to navigate.

Cons

The ads at the top of the promotions and updates folders are disguised to look similar to emails, and I don't know of a way to disable ads, so they are annoying when I'm trying to quickly sort through email. But it isn't a large problem and generally doesn't alter productivity.

Mira L.
Industry: Retail
Company size: Self Employed

I like that it is easy to use

Reviewed on 02/06/2020

My overall experience is great. I'm not interested in using other email providers at this time.

Pros

- Search feature allows me to search my email from long ago
- Allows me to hyperlink text
- Allows me to embed images
- Allows me to add files from my Google Drive without having to first download the file to my device or computer then uploading it
- It allows me to set up an automatic reply email when the email account receives the email
- It groups my email to: Primary, Promotions, Social and Forums
- On my Android Device Gmail app, I can turn off push notifications and not receive emails until I open the app (pull) in order to save on mobile data by reading my email only when I'm on a WiFi network.
- I can add a custom signature
- I can search emails based on size so that I can delete them and make more space
- I can report spam easily
- I can format text in my email
- Spell checker
- groups related emails (replies) together
- I can chat via the Gmail web app
- I can create tags and add tags to relevant emails (web app)

Cons

- I cannot schedule an email unless I install a plugin
- On my Android Gmail app, I wish the app would ask me where do I want to save the file I am trying to download from an email
- It doesn't tell me who has opened my email like with MailChimp
- I cannot create an email template
- the Ads

Jhenisha R.
Industry: Fine Art

You got Gmail!

Reviewed on 06/05/2020

Overall, Gmail is easy to use and very organized especially to those who do not like checking on emails. Gmail is friendly to the eyes of the user and is not bombarded by cray emails. However, I do wish that the emails that have already been sent can be edited without deleting the whole email and making a new one.

Pros

Gmail by Google is a user-friendly mailing site in which people are able to navigate freely and easily when checking up on their emails. The emails can be organized to our likely, such us starring important emails and content that you receive through Gmail. What is evidently good about Gmail is that the top column has organization tabs in which are separated by primary emails and even social emails, which people are able to go through specific emails so that they can easily find what they are looking for.

Cons

With Gmail, I do hope that the software could update their editing. editing in terms of editing the email that you have sent to a colleague. As people write emails, whether you are a student or a professor, people make mistakes and realize these mistakes after they have sent the email to the recipient. It would be great to just go back and edit the email but some, such as myself, would have to delete the previous email hoping that the recipient has not seen it and quickly send a new revised version of the previously deleted email.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Kate J.
Industry: Computer Software

I'll always fight to use Gmail over any other

Reviewed on 26/02/2020

Currently using Gmail and Gsuite across three businesses and it saves an immeasurable amount of time and money.

Pros

Gmail is way more powerful than many people realize! There are so many automations, rules, integrations, tools, labels that can be leveraged to *actually decrease* your workload. I've used Office365 and really don't think Outlook even comes close to covering all the things that Gmail can do. Even the visual alterations you can make, to make it more pleasing and unique are awesome.

Highly recommend Gmail, and taking the time to read about how powerful it really is!

Cons

There's literally nothing I don't like about Gmail. Any email/mx inbox I've had, I've always routed through gmail.

Matthew L.
Industry: Financial Services
Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Reviewed on 16/04/2020

I have mainly used Gmail in communication with my professors, colleagues, and finding additional work with companies. For these purposes, I find it simplistic in reaching out to these individuals and do not think the program needs a lot of training for first time users.

Pros

Gmail enables me to connect a lot of my personal documents within the Google family easily. The service is good with sending and receiving work or school projects to my colleagues and allowing me to be navigated to a Google Doc, Presentation, etc with ease. Communication is key with Gmail and I have never had a problem with emails being allocated into the spam folder of the people I communicate with on a regular basis.

Cons

The only aspect I wish Gmail could improve on would be a notification that allows the sender to be notified when an email has been successfully sent and then opened.

Industry: E-Learning

Gmail is the premier tool for business email

Reviewed on 01/09/2020

I enjoy using Gmail for business emails - for communicating with clients, arranging meetings, and closing business deals. It has been a very useful tool, which we would highly recommend, especially when compared with Outlook.

Pros

Gmail makes it so easy to sync with other Google products, like Google Calendar, Google Docs, Google Drive, etc. You can "schedule send" emails and also link with Mail Merge and other tools for customer prospecting and sending emails at scale. It has a clear easy-to-user interface/design and it's simple to integrate with a custom domain. I like the ability to add multiple Gmail accounts and rotate between those accounts.

Cons

It eventually runs out of space (email send capacity) unless you pay extra. It can also become hard to find individual emails when you get on a long email chain. I also wanted the ability to backtrack/"unsend" previously sent emails. The formatting (fonts) can copy and paste strangely and look different after sent than in the draft format. Once, I was locked out of my account and it was difficult to retrieve password. There is a very limited customer support function, so it's hard to troubleshoot problems.

Josh M.
Industry: E-Learning

Simple, Organized Email

Reviewed on 03/11/2020

With a variety of neat features (and new updates all the time), Gmail is an excellent choice for a simple, streamlined email option. It isn't particularly flashy or high-tech, but that is its best quality.

Pros

There are many things that I like most about Gmail. The ability to create individual, specific labels (folders) for easily sorting mail helps me to stay organized when I receive hundreds of emails a week. I also really like the feature which allows me to mark messages from certain people/organizations as important, which makes them easier to spot in my inbox. One of the relatively newer features that really helps is scheduling when emails will be sent. I can set up a message and choose when I want it to be delivered, making reminders and invitations easy since I can draft them and "send" them prior to the event.

Cons

One of the things I like the least is the mobile version. It does all the basic things that I want it to do, but the navigation is a bit clunky at times. This might be kind of picky, but small things like a "select all" option being absent make a big difference when I am trying to stay organized.

Alejandro B.
Industry: Computer Hardware
Company size: Self Employed

GMAIL: The ultimate work tool for any business/working environment

Reviewed on 25/06/2018

Pros

What makes Gmail a great App is not just the application itself. The connectivity between Gmail and all Google applications makes you feel that there is no need to explore other options because the "Gmail experience" is very complete. The other positive aspect and in my opinion the strongest characteristic is that it is very strange in this days to find a person or company that doesn’t support its IT & Communications on at least some Google App, mainly the Gmail App. The Gmail experience has become a common language all over the world, to use it is just common sense.

Cons

I find hard to give a bad review to the Gmail App. However, like all Apps if you are new you won’t know all the easy ways to use it or understand it, but this is where I support the idea that the Gmail strongest characteristic is being that everybody uses it, so supposing you don’t figure out yourself something you don’t understand, there is always someone nearby who knows or has been through the same problem. The only thing I would suggest bettering is to maintain text formats when pasting them from other Apps like Microsoft Word or similar.

Stephanie W.
Industry: Design

The Pros and Cons of gmail by Google

Reviewed on 06/06/2020

For business, I am readily notified of customer contacts by creating groups. Since there seems to be a large amount of junk and social mail, it is nice to have one tab that is dedicated solely for your individual needs. Because I use it on all of my devices, it is actually easier and more convenient for me to receive and email then a phone call and I can respond immediately.

Pros

Gmail is very accessible, and syncs flawlessly between a number of devices. Additionally, the filters, search options and storage limits work very well for me both professionally and personally. Having multiple accounts is made easy with the software design.

Cons

Some of the navigation between the tabs can be frustrating. I have found emails in places the algorithm should have filtered differently. Also, the enormous amount of personal information they have on file is a little terrifying. (I downloaded my data once before)

Natalia L.
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

One of the best platforms

Reviewed on 16/05/2020

My overall experience using Gmail has been great, I have. been using it for a couple of years now and have had little to no problems with it.

Pros

Gmail is one of the best communication platforms I have used, it has great tools that are accessible and user friendly. In addition to this, you can also use your account to use other services such as google drive and google docs or google slides!

Cons

There isn't much room for customization.

Reyes P.
Industry: Computer Games

Leaders in emails

Reviewed on 27/03/2019

I have been using my gmail account for more than ten years, at the beginning I had problems with the low capacity of storage, however with the future this space has been increased, in addition to adding other apps, such as google drive, which allows us to solve this problem, is a very versatile email, accepted by thousands of web pages, which allows to have all the information and applications focused on a single account, with a high level of security, and google support.

Pros

Without a doubt, gmail is the current leader in emails, with many webapps available to improve the experience, in addition to the fact that the android devices are directly connected to gmail, it allows to manage all contacts, files, emails, data, with a large amount of utilities, in addition to managing the google play account, both for normal users, as for developers, also adsense, adword, youtube, etc. at this time I doubt that someone does not have a gmail account.

Cons

Being honest, I'm not partial with gmail, however it is difficult to find a flaw in a system that brings so many advantages, so I really can not think of something negative about gmail.

Industry: Consumer Services

Highly recommend Gmail!

Reviewed on 15/12/2020

Gmail has been a pain for me here recently, however - the pros of the many ways Gmail can be used within my small business by far outweighs the cons.

Pros

The integration between the many google apps is exceptional. I love that I can simply sign in to my Google account on every google app and they all seem to flow simultaneously.

Cons

After using Gmail daily for personal and business use, I ended up having to get a new phone as well as a new phone number due to my previous cell phone being lost. Doing so ultimately resulted in me not having access to ANY of my saved info on my Google accounts across ALL apps since the only option for the 2FA is to send a code to my old phone number. Because of this, my business has taken a huge toll now that I cannot sign into my calendar to view when my clients have requested time slots for my service. You would think that a company as big and we'll established as google would have a customer support team ready and able to assist you with these exact issues, but they actually do not have any type of phone number to speak to a live rep at all!

Industry: Industrial Automation

Gmail is a must have

Reviewed on 31/07/2020

It's been good so far. I am a loyal Gmail user and I don't see how I will ever switch.

Pros

Pros of using Gmail:
- Large storage space, you'll never need to delete an email.
- Ability to attach documents of more than 10MB, I believe this is something they worked on during the years
- Integration with other Google products

Cons

Cons of using Gmail:
- Sometimes has trouble connecting to the internet, suggest having a gmail lite version
- Gmail doesn't sync well on mobile. You need to swipe and refresh to see the new email.