Semrush

4.7 (1,622)
SaaS solution for online content marketing

(1,622)
4.4/5

Zsolt P.

Online marketing tool for SEO & PPC

Reviewed on 20/11/2021

Great online marketing tool for SEO purposes & PPC advertising. I use it every day for tracking keywords positions, monitoring new and lost backlinks. You can also use Semrush for checking your competitors marketing activities. One of the best SEO tool in the industry.

Pros

Great online marketing tool for SEO & PPC advertising. I use it every day for tracking keywords positions, monitoring new and lost backlinks. You can also use Semrush for checking your competitors marketing activities.

Cons

The free version should provide more keyword rankings report.

Solid all-in-one for marketers

Reviewed on 11/01/2022

Pros

Semrush offers pretty much everything you need to handle digital marketing and SEO. The feature-set is massive, from social posting and link disavowals to site health.

Cons

Semrush is a pretty classic "all-in-one" – jack of all trades, master of none. We routinely have to look at specialist software to get REALLY deep in any one area, but Semrush easily covers the 30-, 20- and 15,000-foot views.

Reasons for Choosing Semrush

SpyFu wasn't meeting our needs anymore. The UX was superior in its simplicity, but the features just weren't there anymore.

SpyFu

Reasons for Switching to Semrush

Semrush offers more features for less money.

Response from SEMrush

Hello! Thank you for your feedback! We were happy to know that our tool saved you some time.

Tom V.

After 4 years being a customer this company rips me off

Reviewed on 11/11/2020

I feel ripped off by Semrush. We are customers already for 4 years. We always have enough with one user. Now, we have been loggin in, by accident, from a few different locations. This is because of remote working due to corona and it was unclear in the team who was responsible for Semrush. Now is our account suspended, which I can understand. But the only 'solution' is that I have to buy a €540 extra user. But wo do not need that! I told them this was an accident and that one user is enough for us. Which it always has been for 4 years. But we can only get our account back with paying 540€. And a refund of the unused service is also not possible. This feels like bribery. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was 'helping' me, but only offering me this upsell that I do not need. It is a shame to be treated like this after being a loyal customer for 4 years. I will recommend other potential customers SeRanking. It is much cheaper, has almost the same features and they will not rip you off with unwanted upsells. Shame!

Pros

It has a lot of features, in dept analysis.

Cons

It is expensive and there are quiet a few other, much cheaper alternatives where the customer service doesn't rip you off!

Response from SEMrush

Hi Tom, thank you for your review. We have investigated the situation - it seems like multiple users logged in from different locations under your account for 3 times, which triggered our security system, and we sent several warnings before your account was blocked. We kindly remind you that by default, the account only includes 1 user, adding extra seats is a paid option. As far as we know, you account was unblocked by the team after finding out that your team logged in accidentally from different locations. If you still have any questions, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to answer them!

Jorge P.

#1 Agency Competitor and Market Analysis Tool

Reviewed on 28/12/2021

SEMrush allows me and my team to keep up to date with digital marketing trends, news, and content. When it comes to competitor and market research, SEMrush is my go-to digital strategy tool to perform this process in a timely and efficient manner.

Also, the keyword research tool makes my keyword planning more efficient and productive.

Pros

SEMrush has helped our onboarding process smoother and more efficient as we have available significant insights into our new client's market and competitive landscape. Having all this data available straight away allows to focus on higher-level tasks rather than investing much time in regular research activity.

Also, the resources section is the best. You guys show expertise through your courses and blogs.

Cons

I would suggest that there is a different sign-in scheme for agencies, for example, instead of signing in with one user, there should be an account type that allows an admin to grant user access to others while still being under the same plan. This will save time by not having to share credentials and keep resetting passwords.

SpyFu

Reasons for Switching to Semrush

SEMrush seemed to be more at the forefront of digital marketing trends and showed expertise with the resources available. Also, the onboarding experience was good.
Christopher H.

Give your marketing a competitive advantage with SEMrush

Reviewed on 03/12/2021

SEMrush is a great tool for SMEs or marketings seeking to go a bit beyond tools like Google Analytics or Search Console. There are plenty of tools, reports and competitive analysis functions that can provide all kinds of insight. It can be easy to get overwhelmed with it so start with a few tools and then use the blogs and website to continue to explore the rest of features.

Pros

The keyword magic tool is so useful and much easier to use that Google's keyword planner. The quick access of keyword variations and having themes grouped allows you to quickly develop insight into useful terms and where you may have the best opportunity to rank.

Cons

Once you get beyond content optimizations and into the technical side of SEO the tools maybe a bit more advance for those without a development background or those just starting to get into SEO.

Tom W.

Very good for SEO management

Reviewed on 11/01/2022

Pros

This software is used daily in our business to keep ontop of keywords, SEO audits and competitor analysis and it works better than other software!

Cons

Can be a little expensive when you add more team members on

Claire M.
  • Industry: Information Services

• Customer Support Software

Lots of reports, easy to use

Reviewed on 21/12/2021

Great tool to get your SEO program up and running and to support your SEM efforts.

Pros

There are so many rabbit holes of data and analytics for SEO/SEM that you can go down through SEMrush. The tool hints are helpful for exploring and it's generally pretty easy to use if you've got decent knowledge of the principles behind SEO/SEM. The content marketing tools are also really great for pulling it all together.

Cons

It can feel a bit overwhelming at times.

• Industry: Design

No other tool than Semrush

Reviewed on 29/12/2021

Pros

Give every single report & data to analyze your ranking & help to improve the SEO. While using it I can clearly see 90% organic traffic for my site.

Cons

I am super happy with them & have no CONS till now

Semrush

Reviewed on 15/12/2021

The price is worth it but expensive if you subscribe to it make sure to use it as its max potential to get back your ROI on this software if you have a marketing agency 10/10 would recommend but as a freelancer pretty much need calculations to afford

Pros

the things that Semrush can offer to your business is huge like you can benefit from it and i can assure you it is the most beneficial marketing software you will find on the internet.

Cons

the pricing is really high, not gonna say "overpriced" but really high price

Vansh C.

Can't go wrong with SEMRush if you want an all-in-one SEO tool

Reviewed on 03/12/2021

I've seen positive results for almost all articles as I started using SEMRush's tools, and that's everything I wanted.

Pros

The features I used the most were Keyword Magic Tool and Content Improvement. They worked just as I expected them to. While developing the blog section of the website, I always used the magic tool to research keywords. There are enough filters and sorting options to obtain exactly the results you want, and the related keywords returned are always bang on. The content improvement feature tells you exactly what you need to match up to search results appearing above yours. I was able to see results when I edited articles according to this, so I guess it works!

Cons

The user interface is outdated and very cluttered. Definitely takes some time to get used to. I would have preferred a more minimal layout. Also, one minor glitch that I consistently noticed was that it undercounts the words of all articles; for example, if I've written a 2,000-word article, SEMRush may tell me it's 800 words long, and ask me to expand it further.

Max P.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

A Must Have Tool For Marketers

Reviewed on 17/01/2022

I have been using Semrush for over two years now and I cannot imagine my professional life without it. It is a really basic but essential part of our marketing growth.

Pros

The ease of use and the simplicity of the UX are unparalleled to other tools out there. The depth of features is also great and I love the fact that it does such a good training job to make things easy.

Cons

The reports and downloads are not too customizable which adds an extra layer of effort.

Reasons for Choosing Semrush

Ahrefs was too complicated and not user-friendly. There was a much bigger learning curve.

Reasons for Switching to Semrush

Semrush was the cheaper alternative and simple enough to use and train staff on.
Steven B.

SEMRush Rocks

Reviewed on 17/01/2022

Overall, I am happy and have found many uses for this software. I want better reporting for the nearly $230/month our small company pays though.

Pros

Support on the Rep side, instant data points with a single click, simple reporting

Cons

Some features have been removed with the price changes, mainly in the reporting section - Reporting is important in my industry and SEMRush has removed many of the options here for small business to take advantage of your reporting services due to the price point being too high on the "next level up."

Reasons for Choosing Semrush

Raven's reporting began to falter in places we needed it to become more robust for our clients, becoming more difficult overall.

Raven Tools

I can rely on the Google Data and compare in GA easily for tracking issues
Kevin M.

The Standard for SEO Project Management

Reviewed on 17/01/2022

I am very happy with the power that Semrush provides for managing, aggregating and reporting on SEO and related digital data. This is a top-tier offering in the space and has shown continual improvements and innovation over the years. I will continue to support and use Semrush in our business practice.

Pros

Semrush continues to evolve and improve their software which is good news for SEO practitioners. The platform contains a LOT of features, many of which you may not ever require. Because it is feature rich, there is a learning curve that goes with using the software. But once you have that understanding in hand, Semrush offers great value for SEO and related digital marketing services.

Cons

Many new elements of the platform feel under baked. Have to pay to use each feature feels disingenuous...do I get no acknowledgement of using the software for over five years now? It would be nice to "test drive" new functions to determine if they offer value in the process. Having to pull out a credit card continually to add more data, or additional users, or test new features can bloat the price tag for Semrush considerably. Finally, having to reach out to Customer Service each time to you need to reconfigure your services is unnecessary in this era of SaaS -- improve the backend account management tool so users can "see" what they are paying for, please.

Reasons for Switching to Semrush

primarily data sources, data volume and reporting customization.
Robert T.

Semrush is the critical

Reviewed on 17/01/2022

SEMRUSH dramatically changed how we do business from a marketing standpoint. The marketing insight into our competitors is something we analyze daily.

Pros

The feature that impacted our business was the keyword research capabilities. This has solved the major rework problem when you find yourself chasing a bad keyword down a rabbit whole of frustration and time lot. Semrush solve this problem.

Cons

Hope for more content marketing features like the SEMRUSH version of their jarvisa.ai. SEMRUSH needs to build a similar tool and challenge the Jarvis community and charge 1/2 the price. This would give them more of a marketing edge

Reasons for Choosing Semrush

Cheaper and had more features

Price and product capabilities
Anuj K.

comprehensive SEO Marketing Tool For Business Clients

Reviewed on 21/09/2021

Semrush is a comprehensive and easy to use marketing tool set that provides business owners and marketing managers with all the essential information they need. The magic of Semrush is that it allows to track our competitors' exact SEO strategies, read their back-links profile and see what keywords they are ranking for in the search engines. This way, we can easily replicate their results and outrank them by implementing these strategies Ourself.

Pros

Semrush is the all-in-one marketing tool for search optimization. It helps to find best opportunities on the Internet, beat our competitors and stay ahead of Google search. It is a powerful and versatile suite of marketing tools designed to help search engine marketers and webmasters drive traffic, generate leads, and monitor their digital marketing campaigns. The SEMrush pro edition enables to take our SEO efforts to the next level with access to more data for better keyword research, content marketing tracking, local rankings monitoring and more.

Cons

No issue faced, It is best competitive research tool allowing people to track their keywords' positions on search engines.

Reasons for Switching to Semrush

Semrush is cheapest than Ahrefs. Semrush is an all in one SEO tool that offers competitive research and website optimization. Not only we can track our own progress, but we can also analyze our competitors. Keep tabs on their backlinks, social media status, top performing keywords and much more.
Yassine E.

• Customer Support Software

A real tresor of Content marketing strategy tool!

Reviewed on 04/09/2021

In my experience in getting accurate data, I always need to utilize the right instrument. My approach's success depends on the correctness of the data i'm willing to collet, insights, and intelligence. For keyword research, backlink analysis, and competitor analysis, Semrush was a critical choice and so the right tool. To get results, I'm always searching for trustworthy data and actionable insights. That what makes Semrush my go-to tool for content research and optimization. As such, an SEO strategy must be comprehensive.

Pros

When it comes to search engine optimization, digital marketing, and business intelligence, Semrush is the one-stop solution for all of your requirements. Semrush allows me to get a better understanding of my customers or targets' demographics, such as their age, gender, and location, so that I can provide them with the most appropriate products and services.
Day after day I'm more and more surprised to learn that spamming backlinks might do more harm than good to my search engine rankings. The Semrush Backlink Audit tool was the best assist for me in identifying and removing them, as well as a variety of other harmful elements.
IMO all options are reasonably priced, with the exception of the Semrush Pro plan, which is prohibitively expensive for small and medium-sized businesses.

Cons

The product's friendly UI takes some expertise and awareness. Beginning SEO and digital marketing learners might take a cours on technical keywords, but overall it's not that big of a problem. What I didn't like the most about Semrush is that you can only log into one account at a time. However, if you share it and someone else logs in with the same account, the original user loses access. It would be nice if Semrush could fix this issue and notify any future users of unauthorized access.

Searchmetrics Suite and Serpstat

Reasons for Switching to Semrush

In my point of view, Semrush does more than just help you analyze your competitors. Semrush can assist you in conducting competitive research. It enables you to do competition research on your competitors. In essence, it discovers all websites that perform well for related keywords and provides an accurate estimate of traffic for the top 20 keywords that each of these websites uses. You will not an all in one tool but Semrush.
Naz H.

Swiss Army Knife of SEO Tools

Reviewed on 16/07/2021

Overall I'd say an 8 out of 10. Customer service is good, the tools are powerful and data-rich and help me make powerful conclusions.

Pros

The UX, range of tools and insights are great. This is a really powerful tool. I love the projects and the ability to manage backlinks and cleanups. The content management is very nifty too!

Cons

I dislike the fact you've to spend $100 dollars per month to get white label SEO reports. Also, I'm not too keen on the sales guys pushing new deals and not supporting old deals (a few friends have experienced this). Previous I wanted to upgrade to an annual plan and essentially I'd lose some of the benefits I had, that didn't make sense.

Ahrefs and Moz Local

This is a richer tool

Majestic

Reasons for Switching to Semrush

Value for money, functionality and dashboard at the time of sign up.

Response from SEMrush

Hello! Thank you for sharing your feedback! The revised pricing model includes either new features or alters additional to main tier product's prices. However, we always value our loyal customers and provide them with the unique opportunity to stay on the same level of subscription for the same price! - Ed

Julio A.

You can't drive blind

Reviewed on 20/05/2021

I admit to get the most out of SEMRush, I had to spend some time with it and I can tell you that after three years, I don't know all of it. Yet with all that complexity, you can get a project up and running and become useful in a matter of minutes.

Pros

Go deep into a URL and discover the good, bad and ugly of SEO on a project. There are very few platforms that hold up and deliver on the promises made. SEMRush is one. This one works and it works for my company.

Cons

Like any SEO platform we sometimes get false positive results and there never seems to be a rhyme or reason for it. But I am nit picking.

Reasons for Choosing Semrush

First off I had to jump back and forth between applications and sometimes you prefer to have things all under one hood. I still use the other tools mentioned but not nearly as much.

Reasons for Switching to Semrush

the look feel and initial presentation of the dashboard
Vasilis S.

Rank with Semrush

Reviewed on 23/02/2021

Let's suppose you have a blog. You are adding information and content, but you have no traffic and no idea where you exist in search engines.
Semrush TOGETHER with a SEO Optimiser like Yoast SEO and better with Gramarly, will give you immediately a 'map' where you rank and what to do.
This is a good tool, not so many 'how to do SEO' articles like Ahrefs, but really OK.
However - don't expect to see results fast. You will be happy to see that your page exist in google, even in top 20 for a keyword, your rank grow from 0.16 to 0.17 , and your estimated traffic is 0.002 visits / month!

Pros

Semrush has a huge database for keyword search. However, there are many cases the Magic Keyword Tool doesn't bring results even for not-so-long-tail or unusual keywords.
If you want to rank your website fast this is a correct tool with reasonable price. Daily reports show your best ranking pages. Then you can fine-tune text to help your best pages to go up in Google Top 3,10,20 and top 100.
That can be done further with other tools like Yoast Seo. There are some features inside Semrush but much more expensive so I didn't try them.
Semrush is giving you as many crawls as you want a serious edge above competition.
A newer feature are proposed ideas to rank better. Although in my cases, most of the proposals are not realistic, they are good as guideline and some are applicable. At the end, these are suggestions, not an autopilot system to rank.
As usual you have to know your business.
Another important feature is backlink builder, proposing you thousands of sites to build your links based from the backlinks of your competitors.
I can definitely tell you that most of those proposed links are really impossible to build. Either coming from friends, or from advertorials or irrelevant sites. But again this is a positive list you may filter and use.
Here is an internal "organiser'" allowing you to mark whatever you consider important, and the way to build your backling ie, call owner, post comment etc.
There are many features, even in the starter plan 99$+vat / montly

Cons

Daily reports are giving errors that are not errors and someone needs to know the site well to understand .
There is also a robots.txt report error, that I found it was not really an error of the site.
The Keyword Difficulty tool, is impressive but (in my case ) never gave me a useful information.
That is becasue, the 'easy to rank ' keywords, don't have traffic.
The keywords with traffic are all red - practically impossible to rank
And the middle list of medium difficulty is empty - not even long tail words are there.
That is a serious problem with the tool.

Mike W.

SEMRush Vastly Improves SEO Efforts and is Worth the Investment

Reviewed on 17/02/2021

Overall, SEMRush has allowed great value for us and our clients. We are able to take action and improve websites and SERP rankings, and provide a resource to content writers to find a good balance between great content and SEO friendly content.

Every serious business looking for growth should be using SEMRush or a similar product as they reveal a lot about your website.

Pros

I have enjoyed that SEMRush has continued to add features to its product offering. This helps consolidate software and accounts being used, staying within one platform, and adding value to building SEO audits, reports, and the ability to pivot and make changes with all of the information in one platform. There are equal competitors out there but most require you to subscribing to individual products from different companies to achieve what SEMRush can accomplish.

Cons

There's not much to dislike about SEMRush. The only true con that I dislike about SEMRush is the pricing around adding users. For the price you pay, and the size of teams needing access to the platform, I can't find the justification of the pricing for adding users to that extent for the majority of companies that would use the platform. I think 2 or 3 users to an account should be a no brainer and provide long-term customer relationships, instead of nickel and diming to add users. If someone else is logged into the same user account, one will get kicked off the platform.

Next, this isn't really a con based on the pros stated above, but because of the numerous features available within the platform, it can become overwhelming or slow down the learning process for newcomers as it is a comprehensive, robust platform. There are many navigation paths to get to specific features and reports, but that is just the nature of the beast with consolidating and growing the product mix that is the evolving, for the better, SEMRUsh.

Reasons for Choosing Semrush

After joining M3 Group last year, I made the recommendation of the switch as SEMRush provides more capabilities, it is more comprehensive, and it is all under one subscription and platform.

SpyFu and Raven Tools

Reasons for Switching to Semrush

The consolidation of products, additional robust features, and previous successful experience using SEMRush.
Jay B.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Nice SEM tool to have

Reviewed on 20/11/2020

SEMrush is all rounder in terms of Search Engine Marketing tool. Interface is similar to Google Analytics and easy to use. They have rolled out couple of regular tool updates every year. Very helpful articles in Knowledge Base. They do have some advance SEO and PPC features but very limited in terms of data especially Backlink Audit. If someone from search marketing looking for one for all tool (SEO, PPC, Competition Analysis) then it's an good option. However, if someone looking for a special tool for a particular job such as Backlink analysis and acquisition then look for alternative tools.

Pros

Good UI (Similar to Google Analytics)
Feature rich
Easy to Use
Free trial period
Competitive Research

Cons

Backlink Audit is not showing all the links
Position Tracking a bit inaccurate
Log files doesn't support .log format

Reasons for Choosing Semrush

Broghtedge is a premium SEM tool. Enterprise Level and bit expensive.

BrightEdge

Reasons for Switching to Semrush

No free trial period with Ahrefs

Response from SEMrush

Hi Jay, thank you for the detailed review! happy to know you enjoy the tools and are ready to recommend them. Please contact us at [email protected] for any question on the tools - we'll be happy to help you!

Steve Z.

Best Product for Everything Related to SEM

Reviewed on 12/10/2020

SEMrush has definitely allowed me to be more efficient with my work and took my company to the next level. I can do everything in one "stop". Research, tracking, reporting and more, all rolled into one.

Pros

Everything we need is in one place, I don't have to bounce around to different programs for different purposes. There are improvements and new features added all the time. The few times I've had a problem or question, support is very quick to answer/resolve it and then follow up a week later to make sure everything's working as it should.

Cons

I can't think of any cons, it just works as advertised.

SpyFu, Moz Pro, and Ahrefs

Reasons for Choosing Semrush

Raventools was lacking many of the tools I required as my business grew.

SpyFu, Moz Pro, and Ahrefs

Reasons for Switching to Semrush

I tried the free trial, then the least expensive package for over a year before I found that I was using it more than any other SEM program I was trialing/paying to use. It just made sense to upgrade and get rid of the others.

Response from SEMrush

Hi Steve, thank you so much for your review! We are happy to know you enjoy SEMrush tools!

Laura C.
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Comprehensive & reliable SEO tool

Reviewed on 12/10/2020

Pros

It's a great tool for doing keyword research and for tracking keyword visibility across a number of projects. This is the main reason why we are using this product, so that we can monitor and report on the evolution of our website's visibility across our targeted keywords.

Cons

1) I don't like the fact that even with the Business subscription, there's only one user that can access the software at one time. I think there should be at least 2 users added to the Business account.

2) In the Keyword research section, it would be good to see an actual trend of the keywords that are being displayed (not just a trend chart) and to see this trend displayed in percentages (e.g. 10% growth in search volume MoM)

3) In the SERP analysis section, it would be good to see the SERP exactly as it is shown in Google or other search engines, with meta titles, with featured snippets, with PPA boxes etc. The more detailed information we can have in the SERP section, the better.

4) In the Topic Research section, it would be useful to have the option to save cards and view them later

Response from SEMrush

Hi Laura, thank you so much for your review! We are happy to know you enjoy SEMrush tools. And thank you so much for the detailed feedback on the features - it is very appreciated and I will pass it to the teams!

• Industry: Publishing

• Customer Support Software

A must-have for competitive analysis

Reviewed on 14/10/2020

The experience has been great. I couldn't do my job without this tool. Customer service is sometimes slow to respond, but I haven't had to use them very much. SEMRush also had great tutorials and webinars to help anyone regardless of what level they are in in the SEO industry.

Pros

I've used SEMRush in my current and previous role and it's a must-have for competitive analysis and rank tracking. I use this tool daily to monitor my top rankings and keywords. I use it to see where competitors have lost or gain keywords and use this information in my SEO strategy.

Cons

While it's great to have a social media toolkit, it's weak compared to full-featured social media software.

Reasons for Switching to Semrush

I was familiar with the tool from a previous role and other tools were too expensive.

Response from SEMrush

Hi, thank you so much for your review! Great to know you believe SEMrush is a must-have! We're honoured to hear this. Thank you for the feedback on our SM toolkit - we're currently working on developing it further!

Ray G.

Bang for Your Buck

Reviewed on 12/10/2020

As a small niche company serving clients throughout the USA and Canada, SEMrush has made us more efficient. We deliver as good or better quality data that larger companies, and still keep it personal.

Pros

SEMrush offers a lot more features compared to similar products/services. Keyword research and site audit is just the tip of the iceberg. The customized reporting is great for distributing to clients or potential clients. The writing assistant tool that connects to Google Docs helps us stay efficient. We also use the social media posting tool, which is a once bonus feature. Also, I started using the marketplace feature, which is an additional cost. SEMrush has the majority of features that marketing folks need.

Cons

There is not enough units in the Plagiarism checks (10) and Social profiles (50) for posting compared to the number of projects (200) in the subscription.

Moz Pro

Reasons for Choosing Semrush

We did use Moz Pro, but found that SEMrush had more features and it is more customizable.

Moz Pro

Reasons for Switching to Semrush

We use Ahrefs, ScreamingFrog and SEMrush.

Response from SEMrush

Hi Ray, thank you so much for your review! We are happy to know you enjoy SEMrush tools! Will pass your feedback on units to the team for consideration.