1,189 reviews

Semrush

SaaS solution for online content marketing

4.6 /5 (1189 reviews) Write a Review!
4.6
4.3
4.6
4.3
4.4
1,189 reviews
Brooks M.

Truly an all-in-one digital marketing platform

Reviewed on 20/11/2019

We use SEMRush to for SEO research, competitive analysis, content marketing, and some for PPC as well. The insights are incredible, and it has changed the game for our own marketing as well as our clients'. It's all-around a great tool.

Pros

A ton, but my favorite is probably the content marketing toolset. SEMRush provides topic research, keyword research, a writing assistant, and much more. The suite of SEO tools is incredible as well: site audits, keyword research, gap analyses, backlink analytics, and keyword tracking. You are able to set up projects, receive notifications, report to clients, and more. I love SEMRush.

Cons

The only thing I don't love about SEMRush are their traffic predictions. As a smaller business, I find they're often very misleading and inaccurate. I imagine they're more accurate for larger sites. You also don't get API Access on the Guru plan – only business. I understand why, but I'd love to have access to API credits regardless my plan.

Adam S.

Comprehensive Digital Marketing Tool

Reviewed on 12/10/2020

Pros

SEMrush is an all-in-one digital marketing solution, offering everything from KW research and rank tracking to competitor research and content ideas.

Cons

The user interface is a little clunky and not as sleak as other tools.

Response from SEMrush

Hi Adam, thank you so much for your review! We are happy to know you enjoy SEMrush tools!

Susan S.

Great Product for SEO

Reviewed on 12/10/2020

Overall it is great and the software is really excacly what I need for doing my SEO work. . The support is awesome they get back to you quickly and are always ready to assist with any issues. Overall I say this the perfect software for SEO.

Pros

I like how easy it is to use, it makes my job much easier. I am able to get the info quickly send to trello for the team to work on some items and it's great for giving me ideas for keywords, content and article writing.

Cons

My only con for this item is the AMP and needing to have the highest plan to access the amp info. I am on the mid tier and I can't access the pages with Amp errors. Since AMP is so important right now I would think that info would start at the mid-tier level.

Alex P.

Invaluable marketing data all bundled into one uber-powerful tool

Reviewed on 19/12/2019

We can manage all of our clients from a central dashboard, receive reports when we want them and rarely ever need to step outside SEMrush to get actionable insights on SEO. Though you could argue one shouldn't put all the eggs in one basket with an SEO tool (and in certain cases you really can't), the alternative is to invest in other tools too, which begins to get ridiculously expensive and wasteful. However, a decent SEO expert will know where to go to provide a broader scope of analysis, and this CAN be achieved for free in many cases.

Ultimately, SEMrush is the Swiss Army Knife of SEO tools; it does almost everything you could need, and they provide plenty of training through their Academy to get you used to it all. Time and patience with SEMrush now will save far more time in the future, and the subscription will certainly pay for itself many times over.

In fact, insights and actions we've been able to take using the data on SEMrush has led to us gaining more clients over the years, simply because an exisiting client has referred us on based on out success with them.

Learn the tools, and you won't be disappointed!

Pros

- The sheer amount of power at your fingertips - there are tools for every need, whether you're an SEO or a marketer - the level of data is incredible.
- Their Keyword Magic Tool for finding related keywords has saved us countless hours of head-scratching.
- Excellent citation management - honestly, being able to update SERPs on SEMrush, then have those changes syndicated to all the major listings online is a huge time and headache saver! It's extra per client, per month (only $20), but it's worth every penny - it costs the client more in our time to do it all manually!
- Their auditing tools are second-to-none, whether it's backlinks, on-page SEO or tech SEO - their insights go deep and their suggestions on how to fix issues are extremely well explained
- Competitor analytics go hand-in-hand with their backlink building tools, suggesting the best sites to obtain quality backlinks from based on what your competitors are getting - again, hours and hours saved!

Cons

Only a couple, considering everything it does, but being picky:
- The price can mount up if you have a lot of clients and want to take advantage of all their tools (though the convenience should overcome most of this reservation)
- It takes some time to get used to - there's SO much on offer, that it can be a little overwhelming at first. It's easy to use, though because it's so powerful, finding everything can be tricky with so much going on sometimes

Best comprehensive SEO tools for your digital marketing needs

Reviewed on 27/08/2019

We have learned a lot about our client's website traffic and how to better understand customer engagement using proper keywords to target for each respective industry. With the help of some of the SEMRush keyword tools, we were able to find and write about various related keywords to place within our client websites which in turn generated more traffic conversions.

Google Ads analysis and keyword competition provides insight on how to create a niche for our clients. Not to mention, spying on competing businesses and their estimated Google Ad spend. We've managed to address ad optimization for stronger performance.

SEMRush seems to be continuing to improve the product. For example, the On Page SEO Checker provides detailed analysis on additional keyword word usage and phrase usage to help improve pages. Although it is not perfect, it is definitely being improved and helps provide guidance.

Pros

- In depth backlink analysis reports and tracking on domains
- Top notch keyword selection tools (keyword magic tool) for keyword analysis, volume and suggested or related words
- Daily & weekly domain and search position monitoring
- Provides enhanced traffic metrics which provides insight on spikes of traffic during specific timeframes

Cons

Starting off, the tools and analytics can be very cumbersome to understand. The tools take some getting used to and testing with to grasp a good understand of how to analyze website traffic, data and keywords.

Ray G.

Bang for Your Buck

Reviewed on 12/10/2020

As a small niche company serving clients throughout the USA and Canada, SEMrush has made us more efficient. We deliver as good or better quality data that larger companies, and still keep it personal.

Pros

SEMrush offers a lot more features compared to similar products/services. Keyword research and site audit is just the tip of the iceberg. The customized reporting is great for distributing to clients or potential clients. The writing assistant tool that connects to Google Docs helps us stay efficient. We also use the social media posting tool, which is a once bonus feature. Also, I started using the marketplace feature, which is an additional cost. SEMrush has the majority of features that marketing folks need.

Cons

There is not enough units in the Plagiarism checks (10) and Social profiles (50) for posting compared to the number of projects (200) in the subscription.

Response from SEMrush

Hi Ray, thank you so much for your review! We are happy to know you enjoy SEMrush tools! Will pass your feedback on units to the team for consideration.

Tim J.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Extremely useful, but sometimes unwieldy and expensive

Reviewed on 12/10/2020

Pros

SEMrush is one of the most comprehensive SEO tools I've ever used. It's a great way to track our keyword performance across many crucial terms for which we need to rank for our business success, and it also helps us track benchmark performance metrics like Authority Score and Page Rankings with incredible detail that helps us know what's working and what isn't.

Cons

I don't like that there isn't an option to purchase a single subscription for a certain amount of users; instead, one has to add users individually to an account for an additional monthly subscription rate. This puts SEMrush far and away in a much more expensive category than almost any other leading SEO tool

Response from SEMrush

Hi Tim, thank you so much for the review you left us! Great to hear you enjoy so many features. We will also consider your feedback on multiple users option!

George B.

We Use SEMrush Daily For Social, Search, & Advertising

Reviewed on 12/10/2020

We use it daily to manage multiple clients in search, social, and advertising.

Pros

I am a huge fan of using the keyword tools to brainstorm ideas and concepts. I appreciate the ad text history too although sometimes it is hard to know if an ad remained running because it was successful or the advertiser was lazy. We also have a separate reporting system, but find ourselves using some of SEMrush's reporting for things that our other product doesn't provide.

Cons

Not a fan of using their branding on the reporting in the way that they do with logos on a paid account. That's a nasty way to force an upgrade. I wouldn't mind branding in the footer or even a subhead, but they do this in a big way. To be fair, they're not alone, but it's a turnoff every time I see it.

Response from SEMrush

Hi George, thank you so much for your review! We are happy to know you enjoy SEMrush tools!

Arjunsinh C.

Stay ahead of your competition

Reviewed on 22/11/2019

It has saved by time by more than 50-60%, reports runs on cloud, best suggestions based on the competitor analysis and link building suggestions along with the outreach pitch, what cold be better than this for a SEO guy.

Pros

There are lots. Its complete All in one SEO pack for SEO experts. Let it be website auditor's suggestions, technical SEO, on-page off-page, keeping eye on your competitor, researching links for Link building, keyword research or white label report, SEMRush is the answer. The provide more than what they charge for. 99/100 SEO will have this as a their SEO weapon against their competitor.

Cons

Though, there are none. But, I would recommend if they could update all the keywords daily, people won't have to buy any keywords tracking tool, currently only important keywords are updated and not all, rest is perfect.

Dale D.

Great SEO tool with some hiccups.

Reviewed on 29/05/2019

It is great and it helped us and our clients to achieve high rankings.

Pros

SEMrush is one of the best tools I have tried to improve the SEO of my websites. In terms of keyword suggestions, projects management, as well as in organic keywords tracking, this tool is incredibly brilliant and useful. I can also spy on our competitors with ease and come up with a plan on how to beat them on the search engine.

Cons

I also observed that SEMrush offers updates for the platform from time to time. Apparently, this starts confusion on users because particular features are moved and removed within the interface.

• Used Weekly for Free Trial

Tons of features for a high price

Reviewed on 07/05/2020

Keyword position tracking is great, although limited in free version. Even though I would love to use it in full, it's not even close to being affordable for our business -- keeping in mind that this tool is only one of the many needed to run a successful digital business. And one of the most expensive ones.

Pros

It has a ton of features and is very customizable, with a vast array of possibilities. You can build an incredible dashboards to oversee your digital efforts. The free keyword position tracking tool is very useful.

Cons

Most of the features are subscription-based, which costs a shocking $99 per month at the cheapest level, which makes it completely unaffordable for a small or medium-sized business that is not exclusively in the advertising business. We can't afford to pay 1,200 USD extra a year on dashboards and improved analytics operating a single business that has "just the regular" combination: GA, Google ads, Fb pages, Fb ads, Insta, LinkedIn, keyword tracking, other google products -- a dashboard to aggregate all this info would already be very useful, but the price is quite prohibitive (for our business in Central Europe, at least).

Response from SEMrush

Thank you for your feedback. We deeply appreciate input from our users at all subscription tiers. SEMrush is an SaaS-based software system that offers different subscription levels based on functionality. Our pricing follows industry standard models. Please DM us your contact info and we will help identify the right subscription level for your needs.

Kristy B.

Dive Deeper into Your Site's Analytics with SemRush

Reviewed on 08/11/2018

We are starting our 5th year of business in 2019 and have SemRush to thank for much of our success.

Pros

I own a small ecommerce business so analytics is critical for our success. I've tried a few other SEO services in the past but nothing beats SemRush in terms of features and accessibility. While other services' interfaces are clunky and hard to understand, SemRush lays everything out on their page in an easy-to-use format. The features are incredible, especially the Site Audit, which compares your keyword goals to the content that is already on your site and gives you tips on how you can rank higher for your chosen keywords. Even more incredibly, they provide "SEO templates" which makes content creation easy and friendly. It's nice to have such an easy platform for writing excellent-quality articles that converst. When you're only using Google Analytics, there's still a ton of information about your content and backlinks that you're not really seeing. SemRush makes this information available to you.

Cons

I wish the subscription cost was a bit cheaper.

Stephen S.

SEMrush is invaluable for SEOs!

Reviewed on 29/05/2020

Pros

I use so many features of SEMrush every day. Unrivalled competitor analysis, accurate position tracking, keywords magic tool is really useful.

Cons

There isn't really anything I dislike - Moz and Ahrefs are better in some features but SEMrush is the best overall package in my opinion.

Response from SEMrush

Hi, Stephen! Thanks for giving us this review. We are happy to hear that you enjoy using our tools!

Great SEO tool

Reviewed on 25/09/2020

Aside from the user experience which at the end users will eventually find out how to use the tools, this tool is a great one, it has saved us so many times and it helps us make the right decision for digital marketing which positions our business to the right people.

fantastic job from the SEMrush team.

Pros

SEMrush provides you with all the necessary data needed to create a strong online presence. This tool feeds you withinformation that helps your learn more about your competitors, what exactly they are doing to raise their rank online and gives you possible options on the strategies you need to duplicate what your competitors are doing.

With a robust dashboard that houses all the tools that assist you to audit/analyze your website and give you accurate data on things that are done right or wrong compared to your competitors. You can get SEO ideas, do domain analysis, keyword analysis and keyword planner tool is available to you, so there isn't much stress if you know your ways around all the provided tools.

This tool has been the saving grace for my firm, and it is indeed a great SEO tool.

Cons

SEMrush has too many things embedded in their dashboard. Too many tools and can be confusing. It can be completely uneasy for some users to navigate becuase there is a whole bunch of thing locked in the app therefore the user experience I believe would be the only thing they should work on.

Response from SEMrush

Hi, thank you so much for your review! We know the number of functions and tools can be overwhelming, especially for the new users, and highly recommend checking our Knowledge Base with detailed descriptions of workflows and tools. Check out our Academy as well - there are a lot of free courses on the toolkits and digital marketing in general!

Quratulain H.

The Swiss knife in Digital Marketing

Reviewed on 12/10/2020

I am very happy with the software and don't see myself moving away from them. There is always a portion of it that I end up using a lot of in a month or that helps me make smart decisions where I feel the software pays for itself.

Pros

It provides a bit of everything in its product suite. From tracking keywords, to checking backlinks and conducting site audits - for SEO. In Social Media & Content strategy, there are a slew of nifty tools from scheduling social media posts to checking brand mentions and suggesting content ideas.

In PPC, you can check what your competitors are upto, do excellent keyword research and see Google Display campaigns. If you want detailed analysis on competitors there is an 'add-on' available for it.

I particularly enjoy using their writing analysis add on that is available for both WordPress and Google Sheets.

Cons

Their administration could do with an overhaul. If i want to upgrade the account with some extra features, i can, but downgrade i need to reach out to support. I also feel their additional users fee at $140 is too much.

• Industry: Furniture

Does it all.

Reviewed on 12/10/2020

When I worked for an agency I had access to every tool under the sun. When I started at my new company as a marketing manager, I had to pick and choose those that would be highest impact for the company. My choice was SEMrush as it's the most well-rounded SEO software I've used.

Pros

Well-rounded software for SEO and content research. The ability to have everything from keyword research to site crawl audits to backlink audits in one dashboard is great.

Cons

The paid search data isn't overly accurate. I do not recommend this tool for PPC, but it's at the top of my list for SEO insights.

Response from SEMrush

Hi, thank you so much for your review! We are happy to know you enjoy SEMrush tools!

Jon P.

Industry Standard Software

Reviewed on 12/10/2020

Been using SEMrush for years. Haven't found a more comprehensive tool.

Pros

Easy to set up, great tool for research and nice white label reports for clients.

Cons

A little pricy. Wish they had a lower tier. Also, wish they had a Screaming Frog equivalent tool. I know they have something similar but I still end up using Frog when I need to do that kind of sitemap/seo research.

John S.
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Must Have Tool

Reviewed on 29/05/2020

Love it, we moved from a much more expensive and less helpful tool to yours, so happy we made the move.

Pros

I'd be lost if I didn't have SEMrush. All the data is at my fingertips and helps me act quickly.

Cons

Honestly can't think of one off hand.

Response from SEMrush

Hi, John! Thanks a lot for this awesome feedback, we are so happy to know you enjoy using our tools!

Umair B.

Best Marketing Platform for Digital Marketing Professionals

Reviewed on 12/03/2020

I always use SEMrush for my own websites and also for my client's websites. I have done a lot of Search Engine Optimization Projects, so I always check the site performance through SEMrush. Even when I start ad campaigns of my clients, then for the Keywords selection I always prefer the SEMrush tools. So my overall experience with SEMrush is really incredible because my customers and clients are really happy just because of the performance of their websites.

Pros

The dashboard of SEMrush is really user-friendly where you can see different options. In the Backlinks section, you can see the number and sources of the links you have created for your websites. If you want to start an ad campaign at Google Adwords then you can find and search for the keywords at SEMrush. You can add different projects according to your websites. Then you can check your On-Page SEO, Site Audit, Content Analyzer, and more professional things. If you want to compare your website ranking with your competitors then SEMrush is really awesome.

Cons

There are three plans which SEMrush offer, according to my experience there should be an option for the beginners. Or the trial period should be more than the normal days. All other features of SEMrush are really awesome and fabulous.

Carlton r. S.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

If you consider useful an SEO professional, you must use it.

Reviewed on 10/10/2017

Lightning fast intelligence about any websites or keywords that I choose to run!

Pros

The ability to plug in a website URL and quickly see (1) which keywords it is ranking for and (2) what keywords it is buying in paid search is in a word, invaluable. This has on more than one occasion helped me to secure a new client. Thus, the software has paid for itself many times over already.
The Website Audit feature is very good and competitive with anything else out there -- Raven Tools, A Hrefs, MySiteAuditor, etc.
The new SEO Ideas functionality is a very awesome, very promising feature that will definitely keep me renewing for another annual subscription.

Cons

The Link Audit Tool is a little weak. Not quite good enough for me to be able to let go of my A Hrefs subscription. I hope this will improve so I can cut back on my very high "Tool Overhead" costs.

Richard W.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

A True Force in the SEO Tool Industry

Reviewed on 10/05/2019

SEMRush is a powerful SEO tool that can provide insightful data and analytics for individuals or SEO agencies. It has helped us track numerous different websites, SERP rankings, and find potential keyword opportunities. In my opinion, this is a valuable investment for anyone who is serious about digital marketing - and looking to fine-tune their efforts.

Pros

- Hourly, daily, weekly, monthly updates!
- Ability to track numerous projects at once
- Extensive keyword database
- KW Magic Tool is great
- Powerful keyword analytics
- Fun to use

Cons

- Small learning curve - as it can feel overwhelming at first.
- SERPs don't always look accurate.

Justin S.

The Best In It's Category

Reviewed on 13/11/2019

I love it and use it every single day.

Pros

SEMrush contains every report and data point you would ever want regarding SEO and SEM. I mean that literally. I don't think there is another tool that has as many features as this.

Cons

It is extremely overwhelming for a new user.

Chelsea B.
  • Industry: Publishing

Is it worth the cost for new bloggers?

Reviewed on 14/10/2020

I use SEMrush several times a week for a new blog.

Is it worth the money?

I'm still trying to decide. I started on a free trial and fell in love with how easy it was to search a keyword, then apply filters to narrow it down to long-tail keywords. I also like how specific the results are. Rather than 1-10K, it'll say the exact rank.

When I reached out to customer support to help me decide, they were very quick to respond. And even offered to take me through some tutorials. I wasn't sure I should get too invested because I couldn't justify the expense as a newbie blogger who isn't bringing in any income yet (and I don't plan to for several months, at least).

But. Want to know why I'm still using it?

I see results.

Actual results! My blog has been live for 5 months. I've used SEMrush for about 3 months. And I have a few posts that are already ranking well in Google Search Results with the keywords I found in SEMrush.

Should you use SEMrush? If you've got the money, definitely. But, due to the cost, I feel guilty referring newbies like myself to it. I wish there was an intro tier that had fewer bells and whistles because I know I don't use half of what I could be using, yet I'm paying for the whole program.

So for now, I'm going to keep using it and see how it goes.

Pros

Very specific keyword research results, instead of large ranges of numbers, making it easy to decide if it's a keyword you want to write about. Amazing filter options to drill down to long-tail keywords. Ability to research competitors' ranking and keywords too.

Cons

The price is hard to swallow and justify for newbies just getting started who aren't making money blogging. There's SO much information, I feel overwhelmed and wonder if I'll ever use it all.

Response from SEMrush

Hi Chelsea, thank you so much for your review! We are glad to read you enjoy the Keyword Research tools. Also happy for your blog progress - keep it up and don't hesitate to reach out to us for any questions!

Julia M.

Smart SEO Research

Reviewed on 16/12/2018

I have always had a positive experience with SEMrush. They are a supportive team and it is relatively easy to find up-to-date tutorials to help you to get the most out of their suite of tools. New features are being added all of the time, so the SEMrush team does a very good job of keeping pace with the changing world of SEO. They are clearly active in the community and work hard to share their expertise. With their 14 day trial offer you really cannot go wrong.

Pros

Easy to use in-depth backlink tool.
The ability to export all data to spreadsheets for later use.
This tool is continualy being improved and tweaked to keep pace with SEO changes.
Everything you need to see how your competitors are ranking, so that you can replicate their success.
The ability to set up multiple sign ins with the business plans makes it easy to set your VAs to work.
The fact that SEMrush offers a free 14 day trial is a big plus. It is longer than other similar too providers allow, which is a very good thing. Just be sure to cancel properly if you decide it is not for you.
It is particularly useful for generating content ideas that will actually draw in traffic and grow your site.

Cons

In general, customer support is excellent. Typically, they reply within a day, often less. But, it is clear that every now and again they get over stretched, so can take a little longer to get a reply.
The monthly subscription is costly, but having said that this tool is one of the cheapest. So dollar for dollar it actually does represent excellent value for money.

Richard L.
  • Industry: Sports

SEMrush gives me a lot of advantages over my competitors!

Reviewed on 01/12/2018

I am pretty satisfied with SEMrush. It is a great online marketing tool.

Pros

I am a SEMrush user for the more than five years and it keeps on getting better. It gives me more confidence doing SEO because of the data it provides. SEMrush helped me to achieve higher rankings on the search engine. It has lots of advance features and all of them are really useful.

Doing keyword search is a breeze, it has a large database of keywords and most of the results are relevant. The backlink analysis is also a useful feature but it needs a little improvement. Whether you're doing SEO or PPC, SEMrush is a must-have tool to stay on top.

Cons

Their pricing is not for everyone and the backlink analysis tool needs a little improvement. It can't see my recent backlinks.