CosmoLex

Web Based Legal Practice Management & Accounting Software

4.7 /5 (293 reviews) Write a Review!
4.7
4.6
4.4
4.6
4.8
Matthew W.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Great for small firms, not so great if scaling up

Reviewed on 08/10/2020

We've been using CosmoLex for 2+ years so they haven't scared us away...yet.

Pros

Client portal is a terrific feature (when working), the ease of time entries is terrific. Very simplistic interface for invoicing and collecting fees. Integration with LawPay is cool.

Cons

There's lots of bugs and seemingly easy fixes that get overlooked and/or ignored. The portal will shut down unexpectedly and/or clients cannot access multiple matters without additional email addresses. There is no function for recurring billing (i.e., ongoing or payment plan clients). Customer service is a nightmare to deal with and takes weeks to complete simple tasks.

Shawn K.

Best Legal Management Software

Reviewed on 20/02/2020

Cosmolex has increased the efficiency of my firm dramatically. From standard client letters to accounting, to tasks, the program has made all aspects of my practice easier. It is easy to learn and efficient.

Pros

Cosmolex is by far the best Legal Management Software on the market. The accounting is superior and specific to the legal industry and the client management options are unmatched.

Cons

There are sometimes delays as information is being entered. It is relatively minor but something I expect they will improve on.

Laura O.

It is easy to get around the program

Reviewed on 07/07/2017

Pros

I like that it is easy to get around the program and many things are self-explanatory. I also appreciate the tutorials that are available.

Cons

1. I sat down with our accountant and went through the chart of accounts - we wanted to erase some of the accounts that we wouldn't be using, but the system prevents it. There are so many similarly named accounts, that I am concerned about how I will make sure I am using the ones that my accountant prefers (as an example, there are at least 3 or 4 options for accounts related to payroll).

2. I don't like that I can't select the option to not allow duplicate checks for our business checking account

3. I don't like that when I click "save and next" when entering checks that the program does not automatically bring up the next check number. I have to hit "save" and then go back in and "add" another transaction in order for that to happen

Response from CosmoLex

Hi Laura. We appreciate your review and feedback. I wanted to take some time to respond to the concerns that you listed

1- Chart of Accounts - While our GL account list is quite flexible, given that we have built-in automated accounting, certain accounts are core to that process and therefore cannot be deleted (fee income, trust funds, reimbursable client costs etc.). In terms of account options, only keep the accounts you wish to use. we offer 4 payroll accounts to cover the various deductions which need to be disbursed.
2- Duplicate checks - you are correct in that our operating accounts do not include the same safeguards as the trust accounts given there is no requirement, however I will enter this request on your behalf.
3- Check Numbers- I assume you are entering manual checks instead of printing them. I do see the issue you are experiencing and will report to our dev team to resolve.

Thanks again for your feedback. Any other questions, please let us know.

Rebecca B.

Love it!

Reviewed on 18/12/2019

Very well. Customer service is excellent. Very user -friendly.

Pros

We swapped from Abacus to Cosmolex a few years ago and its a MAJOR improvement. I love how it is continuously updated to better the program. It is very user-friendly and I love how customizable it is. I also LOVE the upgrade with the new spell check!

Cons

Nothing right now. We are loving the latest updates!

Carlo L.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Accounting is more precise and up to date.

Reviewed on 19/06/2019

Pros

I chose CosmoLex primarily because it is both a client management system and accounting system in one solution. Additionally, CosmoLex pays my monthly LawPay access fee. All of this really helped my small, but growing practice save some money, while getting all the tools I need.

Cons

I had to take down my website credit card payment link, but CosmoLex "prefers," and everything is recorded easier when, you process credit card transactions through their portal. There should be a way for me to accept credit cards on my website, like through native LawPay, or on the app.

Response from CosmoLex

Thank you for your feedback, Carlo! It's great to hear that you're enjoying all of our practice management and accounting features, as well as taking advantage of our LawPay offering. We really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review; understanding the pros and cons of our solution from a user's perspective is invaluable in our efforts to constantly improve.

Katrina A.
  • Industry: Law Practice

The switchover was a challenge, but I am very pleased that we did this!

Reviewed on 29/04/2019

Very positive.... and sooo much better than the primary competitor in the Canadian market. The cost is a little high (particularly for licenses for support staff who are only using the software for a few minutes every day).

Pros

Web based; Ease of use right from the start; Excellent training tools; Excellent customer service;

Most of my clients really appreciate the customer portal - I expect that as my clients are, as a group, more inclined to use technology to manage their legal affairs, they will be using it more.

The reconciliation of trust accounts with the option to simply download and compare entries is very simple and helpful.

Cons

Some of the more advance functionalities still need work. As an example, we still haven't figured out how to create several template invoices for fixed rate matters (the fixed rate will vary based on the type of matter); there have also been some challenges with the coding of our letterhead (which works fine in a Word document) so we have had to use a work-around.

Amy L.

Leaving CosmoLex after 60 frustrating days

Reviewed on 08/08/2020

I manage 3 small law firms. One of my firms moved from Prolaw to CosmoLex 60 days ago because management wanted to be 100% cloud-based, which Prolaw is not. Unfortunately, my CosmoLex experience has been really frustrating, to say the least.

As background, I have used Prolaw for over 20 years, which performs back and front office tasks (like CosmoLex). At another firm, I have used Clio with QBs for about 7 years with lots of success. At a 3rd firm, I use Bill4Time with QBs with lots of success.

I really tried to make CosmoLex work for the last 60 days. As the manager of 3 small law firms, I am a stickler for efficiency and productivity. Making small firms competitive with larger firms is a big part of my job. But unfortunately CosmoLex was a huge step backwards in that goal.

Pros

You ALWAYS get a live person in customer service and they are GREAT! I have spent hours and hours on the phone, chat and email with many people in customer service in the last 60 days. It is really easy to get a live person, which is great! And I have been impressed with every single one of them. But unfortunately their answer is almost always: "I'm so sorry, CosmoLex cannot do that, I will add it to the list of features we could add." I haven't been around long enough to know if suggestions are actually ever incorporated into the software. Truthfully, so many features would have to be added to make this a viable program, I just can't wait to see.

There is a robust filter / search mechanism. Literally, those are the only good things.

Cons

Everything else. CosmoLex is a great idea, but the execution completely fails at both the accounting and practice management components.

Entering data in the software is ridiculously inefficient - from simple time entries, which you have to choose from pulldown, scrolling menus rather than entering data quickly and tabbing through (there is NO tabbing through any data!), to an accounting system that is set up in inflexible, awkward components that make no accounting sense (not a debit or credit to be found), it just doesn't lend itself to efficiency or intuitiveness like most online billing programs. If you are used to customizable columns (who isn't?); screens in which you can edit, print, manipulate multiple items at one time; check boxes to select all or multiple items; or screens that show you totals like hours billed in a day, week or month, account balances, CosmoLex is gonna drive you crazy. It doesn't allow any of the above. There are so many downfalls, I truthfully don't know where to start.

Additionally, we purchased the migration service. Each person I worked with was amazingly knowledgeable and professional, but the actual migration was a disaster. After hours of work on my and CosmoLex's migration team's part, my non-financial data migrated into ComsoLex very unusable. Also, they do not actually migrate financial data. I was hoping to move at least 7 years of accounting, as well as, historical invoices from open matters, but that is not possible.

Rebekah R.

Made specifically for law firms - cool!

Reviewed on 25/01/2017

For many years our firm used a number of different back office software products. For example, we used Easy Trust for trust accounting, Quick Books for financial accounting and payroll, and Timeslips for time and billing. These are all products that run on individual computers. About 3 years ago, the company that produced EasyTrust quit supporting that product. For the last 3 years we have basically been on our own regarding trust accounting. It has worked out okay to date, but at some point we knew that we would encounter an operating system problem or something and we would have had a substantial problem and the program would've stopped working and we would've had no support or help.

Pros

When we started looking for new trust accounting software, we saw that your product was made specifically for law firms - cool! It also combined trust accounting, financial accounting, time and billing, which was the most appealing aspect. But the fact that Cosmolex is cloud-based, cinched it for us. Because our office manager (who oversees and reconciles the trust accounting -- that is, the software is on her computer) telecommutes from her house. So every time I needed to enter credit card payments, Trust deposits, write checks, etc., I had to drive 3 miles to her house. So being able to do a lot of that work from the office, has been wonderful.

Cons

Your product is intimidating! It encompasses several different departments and getting everyone on the same page took (and will continue to take) a good amount of time. But your training videos and free support have really helped us. As a suggestion, perhaps transcribing the training videos might be useful for a quick reference?

William M.

Excellent Law Practice Management App

Reviewed on 01/08/2016

have been using Cosmolex since its introduction and am very happy with the application. I started using the software just for trust accounting, but found its easy-to-navigate interface so easy to use that I started keeping time and expenses and using the billing function as well. Then Cosmolex added full back-end accounting functionality and I ditched my QuickBooks app altogether. Cosmolex continues to add functionality and compatibility. It's a great app for managing your law practice.

Pros

Easy-to-use interface
Accurate trust accounting
Broadening functionality
Complete integration of functions
Growing compatibility with other class-leading applications

Cons

The only thing I am wishing for is the ability to generate documents from the Cosmolex database, but this is coming I am told!

Jordan S.

Love it!

Reviewed on 23/12/2019

I didn't have LMP software before although I did have QuickBooks for awhile. Thus, there is nothing to compare to but it fills the bill for what I need. I think it was thoughtfully designed, and I find it straightforward and easy to use.

Pros

I have enjoyed the ease of learning and using this software. I like the Dashboard that tells you many useful things at a glance. Customer service is also very good. I like that it integrates with several other applications, such as LawPay and Casemaker (although I no longer use Casemaker). I also found a CL knowledgeable accountant through the site, which was very useful for getting set up my first year.

Cons

I really don't have cons. They did go up in price by $10/month without warning (one time in 18 months) but I still think it is a fair value.

Jeanne W.
  • Industry: Law Practice

CosmoLex was the only one I found that had accounting built in

Reviewed on 02/06/2017

Our former practice management software was outdated and no longer supported by the developer. We were looking for something that would allow us the features we were used to in our personal technologies, such as cloud based storage and usability on multiple platforms, not just desktop PC as our old software required. We've been more than impressed with the bells and whistles, many of which we realize are features we now can't live without!

Pros

Built in accounting was the biggest deal breaker for our choosing CosmoLex. As the bookkeeper, fed up with our clunky old software, I was looking for a new system that would be a modern and practical take on practice management and CosmoLex was the only one I found that had accounting built in. Being cloud based allows us to bill time or check in when out of the office and though we had looked at another program that was cloud based, CosmoLex offered greater flexibility and it looks great, to boot.

Cons

Our office would love to see some updates for the calendar and tasks - specifically a central office calendar that is the default view. We are composed of two attorneys and two support staff where we are all working on the same cases. Short of adding each event to four individual calendars it would great to have everything on one sort of "home" calendar where we can all easily view and comment.

Keeley G.

Best product

Reviewed on 14/12/2019

CosmoLex has been a great product for Bing Law. Customer service is beyond helpful.

Pros

Bing Law loves this program. User friendly and easy to navigate through. Beyond helpful for accounting.

Cons

Bing Law would like to see more options in the pull down menus for billing matters and for the case matters.

Robert R.
  • Industry: Law Practice

The ideal system for my purposes

Reviewed on 19/07/2017

Pros

Cosmolex is a web based system that gives me full flexibility of where I work and on what device I access my data. Moreover, the fact that Cosmolex is a fully integrated billing, accounting and trust accounting system makes it the ideal system form my purposes

Cons

I would like to see a more robust program for the migration of all of my prior accounting data - at least for the current C/Y of conversion so that I will have a full. accurate and consistently organized set of reports to submit to may accountant at year end. I would also like the migration to cover all of the detail for all of my Trust Accounts from day one forward to date of conversion to Cosmolex. This will facilitate any and all client or other audits of each Trust Account

Response from CosmoLex

Hi Robert. Thank you for your review and feedback. In regards to your note about migration. Financial Migration is never an 'easy' process. While most firms choose to migrate balances from a particular cut off date (we supply many automated tools to assist with that), you absolutely can migrate all previous transaction history. For your taxes, the current tax year is most relevant, but for your trust account you may wish to import past history. That does require additional time and labor, and cost if outsourced, but it is definitely doable. Any questions, please let me know.

Noah G.

Noah's Review of Cosmolex

Reviewed on 10/01/2020

Overall, Cosmolex is easier to use than TABS. Certain elements are great, but the slowness of the website and lack of features regarding specialized billing can be frustrating. The single best part of Cosmolex is their customer support staff that is always quick to help.

Pros

The best features of cosmolex are A) The intuitive nature of the platform. The categorization makes sense, and makes searching matters, seeing outstanding balances owed, and viewing trust fund balances easy. B) The accounts payable section is well put together and easy to use. C) Customer service is great.

Cons

I don't like how slow it runs - seems as if the website could run faster, also there are occasionally glitches and I need to close the browser and restart. Also, there is no feature for running bills for outstanding amounts due for clients without billable time for the month, and there is no feature for running courtesy bills for clients with no active time or amount due, but monies in trust.

Julia L.

Amazing!

Reviewed on 21/01/2019

Pros

Cosmolex is very user friendly. I like that everything is all in one (calendar, tasks, matters, billing, documents, etc.) Everything is right in one spot. Cosmolex has made our firm very efficient.

Cons

We have recently been having some issues with adding documents. But customer service has been super helpful! Besides that, we have not had any major issues with Cosmolex.

Kelsyn B.
  • Industry: Legal Services

The only software my law firm needs to operate

Reviewed on 16/12/2019

The value of Cosmolex is in its integration, from calendar and client mamangement to accoutning and banking, and document management, this product allows me to seamlessly switch tasks in the many hats I wear as the owner of my own small law firm.

Pros

With mobile and online access, including accounting software and a client portal for secure access to documents, Cosmolex is the only software I need to operate my small law firm.

Cons

Lag time on customer service return calls, I wish I could get someone to help me right when I call, not wait for them to return my request.

Sujung P.

Love it.

Reviewed on 07/02/2020

Pros

I love the functionality and design. Very easy to use. Great customer service as well.

Cons

I am not sure about how secure the software is. I would love to learn more about it.

Response from CosmoLex

Thank you for your review, Sujung! We're glad to hear that you're getting the most out of our product. Feel free to reach out to our support team, or check out our knowledgebase, with any questions regarding security.

William C.
  • Industry: Law Practice

CosmoLex has been easier to work with and is more complete than any system I have used in the...

Reviewed on 29/03/2019

Excellent. For the first 29 years of practice I could depend on others to handle time and billing and accounting. I went solo 10 years ago and spent about 8+ years with another system.

Pros

Ease of transition from another program; accounting incorporated into the system; technical support is responsive and easy to communicate with; practice management features built in

Cons

my only challenge is that I have never "played well" with accounting software, but I am doing far better with CosmoLex than any programs I have worked with in the past

Rebecca M.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Easy to use, accurate, great product.

Reviewed on 19/06/2019

I love the credit card feature of automatically saving me hours of categorizing every charge, and automatic import of charges.

Pros

We used to use Amicus and we had so many problems and glitches. Cosmolex has been great.

Cons

I don't like having to make a customer service appointment.

Response from CosmoLex

Thank you for your review! We're thrilled that you're getting the most out of our credit card feature. We're constantly updating and improving all of our features, and our Support team can be reached directly to answer questions or provide training, so please feel free to contact us.

Jason G.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Having used PCLaw for a number of years, I appreciate the simplification and feel of Cosmolex

Reviewed on 18/12/2018

Having used PCLaw for a number of years, I appreciate the simplification and overall feel of Cosmolex. From the mobile app to browser version, I'm loving it.

Pros

Ease of use across different platforms and its interface with Outlook. The calendaring of appointments with reminders and the ability to add attendees is great.

Cons

The accounting and billing side is still lacking. The accounting should be preloaded with many more common categories. Receipt generation needs to be greatly simplified. Need to have the ability to change the payor. It isnt always that the client pays. This is problematic but I have found some workaround, but would rather it just work the way it should.

Colin S.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Currently the only viable option for the Canadian marketplace

Reviewed on 14/11/2017

As a new solo lawyer I was looking for Canadian options other than PC Law. Cosmolex fit that bill.

Pros

The ability to deal with practice management on the go through my smartphone. Cosmolex is currently the only viable option for the Canadian marketplace without having to use cumbersome workarounds and fixes to integrate with Accounting software and it hasn't disappointed. The support has also been very responsive in the switch over process and the team seems to be responsive to new suggestions.

Cons

Adding a function to allow for a G/L account for Soft Costs.

Adding the ability to add billing addresses at the matter level so that a client can be billed to different addresses (for example if you have an individual client but also want to send invoices to their company.

Add a bi-weekly option for recurring payments.

Add the ability to perform transfers between bank accounts in 1 step instead of creating a payment and then creating a receipt.

Adding the ability to input costs in the mobile app.

Rhiannon J.
  • Industry: Law Practice

It does more than other programs

Reviewed on 10/10/2017

Pros

It does more than other programs, is user friendly and the customer support is amazing. I like having all of my work in one place, it backs up to my outlook calendar on a cloud based program so I can access it anywhere.

Cons

I would like to have the option to show a flat rate client all of the work being done on their case. Just because you're not charging per hour doesn't mean I don't want my client to know about how much work is being done. Please add a billing/invoicing button that allows me to show my clients what's been done, and how much time it's taking me to do something, even in a case where I've elected to charge them a flat fee. This can avoid serious bar problems if a flat rate client fires me 90% of the way through the work and claims to want their entire fee back. It also helps a client see the value in a flat rate fee when if I had charged them per hour the bill would be much higher.

Steven F.

Easy to use especially for a solo practitioner

Reviewed on 27/10/2017

Pros

Extremely user friendly and easy to use especially for a solo practitioner. The time keeping system is wonderful as is the billing component of the software. Makes my record keeping and administrative work incredibly easy.

Joseph D.

CosmoLex Review

Reviewed on 29/03/2019

Pros

It's easy to use and fits my firm's needs very well. The mobile app is also good.

Cons

None really. The only thing I'd like to see is to be able to generate invoices from the mobile app.

Kelly C.

Cosmolex Review

Reviewed on 13/12/2019

Pros

It is user friendly. Very simple to use.

Cons

I would like to be able to add multiple users to the calendar invite without the need for them to accept the the invite.