LiquidPlanner

Dynamic project management software for modern business

4.3 /5 (631 reviews) Write a Review!

Christopher A.
  • Industry: Online Media
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

Organize the tasks, communicate seamlessly, manage resources efficiently

Reviewed on 11/04/2021

Digital workers need a simple and smooth way to complete their tasks. LiquidPlanner customers report an aggregate of 16 hours received each month due to technological advances. Our approach is a straightforward project management that is employed by professional project owners, entrepreneurial teammates, and almost everyone.

Pros

The ability to constantly adjust the functionality or task execution of the whole portfolio-based properties allows our community to set the right priorities and understand the impact that each action has on our future customers. The effective project management tool for development and strategies used for coworkers, a confidence in my job at the appropriate time.

Cons

Maintaining a workspace can be difficult with many activities. Details may be lost, and customers may find it difficult. Our team was looking for a tool to integrate with our current tools for development. Being project-based software rather than production-level software is its drawback.

Jenny M.
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

Comprehensive project management tool for collaborative teams

Reviewed on 26/12/2018

Liquid Planner provides a broad overview of all your projects and great visibility over employees' work loads. There is definitely a learning curve and adoption takes some time.

Pros

From gantt charts to time estimates, this tool was a lifesaver when we found ourselves falling short on task tracking and project tracking. management.

Estimating tasks with ranges (like 3-6 hours) instead of a single number makes a huge difference and the plethora of organization features make complex projects less tedious to look at.

Tracking employee capacity, schedules, and their deliverables has been particularly helpful, especially when you have multiple projects going on at the same time.

Cons

There is a glaring lack of third-party integrations and the interface can be overwhelming if you're used to simpler tools. Would also be nice to link to specific tasks.

Overall, this is a more technical PM software that basic users who just need a limited view of projects will find reasons not to use it.

Chuck J.
  • Industry: Biotechnology
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

Liquid Planner is a Very Effective Tool for Project Planning and Management.

Reviewed on 26/04/2019

Our team is fairly small (~50 users across the company) so we do not have dedicated resources to just maintain the information in Liquid Planer. However, Liquid planner is accessible and intuitive so we can have several team members contribute to the maintenance of project schedules as part of their duties.

We use Liquid Planner to manage the temporal aspects of project management. The tool is very good for what it is designed to do. There are a rich set of reporting tools that allow for customization to meet our needs. It has done this job for us very well. The support provided has been timely and effective.

Pros

The product is well designed so that it is a relatively low bar to learn how to use it effectively. It is easy for team members to interact with the software and to enter the information according to each users project role. When used as intended, the software does an excellent job providing the necessary views into project status. The software definitely lives up to its name as modifying project plans and priorities is easy and the impacts of such changes are essentially instantly available. The numerous but intuitive ways to manage project subtleties such as available time, delays, etc. make it straightforward to create realistic project schedules.

Cons

I do not have any specific negatives with respect to Liquid Planner. Like any software of this class, It does take some training and experience to get the most out of it. My best advice is to spend some time to understand how the designers intended the product to be used use it accordingly. LP has a rich set of features and if used properly will contribute positively to project management.

Steven L.

• Customer Support Software

I am a fan, though our use is just scratching the surface

Reviewed on 12/10/2018

Because of the lack of integrations, I have been looking for something to replace Liquid Planner with, and after seeing them, I could not stand to stop using Liquid Planner. I think that alone speaks volumes.

I think you would be foolish to not look at their product. And there you have it.

Pros

As a web development agency, I can tell you the one feature that has prevented me from using another product, that is their task estimating feature. Why nobody else does this is beyond me (full disclosure: a lot of things are beyond me) :)

When setting up a task you can actually estimate the time it will take the same way real people estimate tasks, with a time range. Who in the world ever hits their single estimate time targets all the time? NOBODY. With Liquid Planner you enter a range, 3 - 6 hours, 1-2 hours, etc. THAT IS A LIFESAVER FOR US.

Another concept of theirs called "packages" is also brilliant. There you can take tasks and bundle them up into "folders" that make sense to you, so you can look at your projects

Cons

The thing that I dislike the most is there are not many integrations with third party time keepers for tasks and billing programs. Harvest would be an example, as would many others. They have their own time tracker, but to use it you ahve to have the app open. Lose internet, forget about it. Working in a car or on the train without internet? Forget about it.

Also, their mobile app is not really of much value.

Ben M.

Expensive, complex, and extremely powerful.

Reviewed on 31/03/2018

Pros

LiquidPlanner is quite customizable with different ways to view tasks and many different screens to visualize things in alternative contexts. For a project manager on the business side, it allows for very powerful organization of multiple projects and teams, and many possibilities for scheduling and prioritizing tasks. It allows for flexible time tracking using range estimates and a simple time entry view.

Cons

It's easy to lose track of how many hours were actually approved for a task if you want to take advantage of the ability to re-estimate things on the fly. It can be slow to load and cumbersome to use. It can be difficult to find things in the overly complex Projects view. Search filters get reset every time you click a task link from someone else that doesn't match your existing filters. It's not always intuitive how to find things using the available search options (for example, unless you put the project name in every task title, searching for the project name doesn't do much good). Time entry takes a lot of clicks with recent updates if you need to add notes to each item. The API is complex to use (though powerful).

George H.
  • Industry: Higher Education Software
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

LiquidPlanner - built for people who are not PMs

Reviewed on 26/10/2019

We needed an application to organize projects for our IT team. This was the easiest to use and implement. Pricing was also reasonable at the time.

Pros

We were able to set up Liquidplanner (LP) within a few hours. We fine tuned it in the weeks/months to come. But it worked for our team. We were able to easily enter our projects and tasks. Other PM sofware require multiple fields to be entered before your data can be tracked. I as the manager can then track the amount of hours, work pending for the various projects. I can show upper managment nice reports of the work we accomplished and work pending. If I ran into an issue with LP, I call support and they were able to quickly help me. The training videos also helped.

Cons

There really no much I can complain of. When we transitioned to another PM software, we called LP and they help me dump all of our data. That was very nice of them. The new PM software we transitioned to was not so nice. It was hard to use, just seemed like trying to put a square peg in a round while. To update a task you have to go through 5 screens and udpate 10 fields. I wished we stayed with LP.

James p. D.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

• Customer Support Software

Powerful, adaptive, and flexible project management solution

Reviewed on 15/01/2018

Pros

The blend of waterfall and agile capabilities, with a solid Kanban. It is an excellent planning solution for large waterfall based projects and equally capable for agile with scrum projects.

For waterfall: It is far easier to use than MS Project or other such solutions that require manual control over dates. The priority based scheduling engine schedules based on priority of the task in the system's hierarchical order. While this is not always the most flexible, they provide numerous ways to control the prioritization with resource splitting, work caps, delayed starts, and dependencies. The time-tracking capabilities are impressive, and it easily integrates time, notes, and work items. The mobile solution is slick and works well.

For agile with scrum: Liquid Planner can be configured with fields to capture stories, acceptance criteria, and other elements related to stories. The kanban boards can be configured with a variety of stages.

Cons

While I agree with the priority based scheduling concept, and its implementation, I'd like a bit more flexibility to control my daily task list rather than having to rigidly follow what the schedule dictates I should be doing. Right now, the My Work section allows the user only to see their tasks in order of master schedule priority, which is not always the most logical order in which to work on a specific day. They do permit workarounds with the ASAP prioritization - which works well.

My other suggestions for improvement are:
- more granular control over alerts and feeds
- synchronization with Google/Outlook calendar (right now it requires manual calendar synchronization)
- Better reporting on agile with scrum, kanbans.

Simple Project Management

Reviewed on 14/08/2018

We have been using LiquidPlanner for almost two years now. It is a good web solution that is relatively easy to use. We have had success in logging employee time against tasks, projects, and clients. It is a more robust tool than some of the basic project management tools on the market (or excel sheets). It does have some limitations that may or may not impact certain project management needs.

Pros

LiquidPlanner is a good tool for tracking employee time against tasks and projects. We use this LiquidPlanner for tracking time associated with specific projects and clients.

Cons

With any tool, there are some limitations. LiquidPlanner does a decent job of reporting and dashboarding by project. For our organization, reporting and dashboarding by client and/or by month is more important. Unfortunately, there is not a good solution in LiquidPlanner to help us with this. The solutions that exist are clunky and/or partial. LiquidPlanner has the ability to create shared tasks which is a great feature. This allows multiple employees to be on the same task. Unfortunately, schedule timelines and priorities do not calculate well when using shared tasks. It's better for every employee to be on their own task for schedule timelines and priorities to calculate properly.

• Industry: Publishing

Great project manager software

Reviewed on 25/09/2018

Pros

We are an academic publisher. Our company has used LiquidPlanner for over 3 years to manage the progress of publishing a book from acquisition to publication and beyond. It is feature rich and would be of great use to those who need granular management of multiple projects with multiple team members. We did not need many of the advanced features but have still found the core application to be incredibly useful in our daily workflow. Gone are the days of inter-departmental memos and back and forth email threads.

Cons

The learning curve was a bit steep for our employees. To be fair, this was their first exposure to an online project management system. Once we were able to pare the numerous features down to the very basics, they were able to intuit how the system worked without being overwhelmed by the multitude of features that were not useful to our workflow.

Katherine M.

Instructional Design perspective

Reviewed on 11/04/2019

Overall this is a great product.

Pros

Great way to organize your projects if you are following from a true project management perspective in which various entities can't be done without the completion of another. A lot of features and customization to make it your own experience.

Cons

After filtering projects and such, you can't organize it the way you want to, such as in alphabetical order, numerical, or priority. The filters it contains eliminates items, and i like to see everything. We do a form of project management but not in the true textbook sense, as certain tasks and items do not stop us from completing something, everything can still keep moving. Our process is a mix of qualitative and quantitative.

Brenda L.

Great for Shared Teams

Reviewed on 08/03/2017

We use because we have a lot shared team members across many projects that are managed by multiple project managers. The priority package really lets us schedule out the work in an organized fashion. Most of the users can just look at the My Work tab and figure out what they are supposed to do. This is the ONLY program that gives us this option. Trust me, we looked.

Pros

Easy of schedule multiple people across multiple projects. The dashboards are also good, but we run out of widgets fast.

Cons

Would be good to add attributes to the client or project level. For example, we want to make a whole project billable or all projects from a client billable.

Keshia D.

How Did We Function Before Liquid Planner

Reviewed on 06/12/2019

Liquid Planner has been a tremendous help with our scheduling issues. It allows everyonre to see notes and tasks in one spot. It allows for easy documentation and provides great organization.

Pros

I like that Liquid Planner is available from anywhere. I can easily access it while I'm traveling or just working out of the office.

Cons

I least like that our clients don't have access. It would be great if the client could see some of the documents and comments our designers make instead of havin g to recopy and email them.

Mid Level Employee using softwar

Reviewed on 13/12/2018

Pros

I like that i can put all my things on a ticket and keep track of them through the prcess of developmente. I can send things to other team mebers on them and keep all the information in one place

Cons

It is hard to keep my baord clean. Say there are two developers on one ticket my status is in devleopmentt but I get doen I can't chagne the status on the ticket to be code review cause they are still working and it needs to be in devleopment for htem now I have two tickets in developmtn.

• Customer Support Software

LiquidPlanner - a good tool for project management

Reviewed on 17/08/2018

Since we use LiquidPlanner, it became much easier to see the time worked on each project and improve our evaluation method.

Pros

Once you understand each field, very easy to use. Great way to organize projects and tasks.

Cons

For projects with a big number of tasks and many employees working on a same task, the calendar that is built automatically is not on point. Each single task needs to have a deadline date; not possible to build the calendar only with the projetc or sub-folder deadline.

Rebecca S.
  • Industry: Insurance Software

Quick-Start Project Tracker

Reviewed on 14/08/2018

LiquidPlanner is a helpful tool that keeps my organization on task and accountable for meeting their deadlines. Communication on a task or project becomes easy even when team members are not in the office at one time.

Pros

For people unfamiliar with any data or project tracking interfaces, the UI of LiquidPlanner has a very small learning curve. It is very easy to introduce new employees to it and have them working within it on the same day.

Cons

The checklists within each task would benefit from some further customization. Expandable sub-sections where users could list some steps to complete before the user can check off that list item.

• Industry: Publishing

• Customer Support Software

Fairly good out-of-the-box, lacks customization options and well-functioning Kanban boards

Reviewed on 21/11/2018

Pros

You don't have to spend a lot of time on administration unless you want to. Everything is included, you don't need to add plugins for the tool to be well-functioning (ref. Jira and Atlassian Marketplace). Being able to provide estimates in a range format (low-high) is a nice touch.

Cons

The lack of built-in integrations with common software providers. This is the main reason we left LiquidPlanner for Jira.

• Industry: Religious Institutions

• Customer Support Software

LP helps our team prioritize

Reviewed on 21/08/2018

Pros

We have a schedule that often changes and our priorities shift from day to day and hour by hour sometimes. LiquidPlanner helps us all stay in track and communicate changes and progress as it happens so the whole team knows where projects are at any time.

Cons

It is a little tough to navigate at first, but new users on our team usually pick it up after watching tutorials and getting tips from other team members.

Vicki M.

Awesome Project Planning Software

Reviewed on 08/03/2017

We have been using Liquid Planner for nearly 5 years and have really put it through its paces as we load it up with large projects consisting of hundreds of tasks. We now consider it to be an indispensable tool for managing our projects. It is very reliable, fast and offers extreme flexibility in managing our often changing priorities.

Pros

Ease of use. Performance (it never crashes or hangs)

Cons

It would be nice to have a bit more flexibility in reporting that does not always necessitate exporting to Excel.

Liquid Planner Review

Reviewed on 14/08/2018

I like LiquidPlanner, but it has a high learning curve. However, once you grasp it, it't pretty amazing. I really hope they incorporate a gantt chart.

Pros

What I like about this software is how it has a lot of detailed features to help me keep track of the projects on the pipeline.

Cons

I wish it has a gantt chart that I can customize and export, not just the system automatically guesstimating and generating it

Olof D.
  • Industry: Media Production

• Customer Support Software

Planning when changes are common

Reviewed on 09/03/2017

We handle a lot of small tasks and projects and need a workflow where we can change priority fast and easy. Liquid Planner can do this for us. There are things that can be better like emails to customers when tasks are finished but in total LP is doing a great job.

Pros

The easy way to change priority on projects and analyze data.

Cons

I think that the search engine could be better. It's difficult to find tasks when you look for something done in the history.

Robert L.

Daily User

Reviewed on 12/12/2019

I use LiquidPlanner to response to 2nd level support requests and to track my own jobs.

Pros

Email notifications of new tasks assigned to me by team leader, project manager or first level support.

Cons

Having to jump from My Works tab to the Projects tab to change the priority order of jobs assigned to me.

Emily W.

LiquidPlanner Review

Reviewed on 30/12/2019

It has been a great tool for resourcing and task management.

Pros

I like the resourcing/utilization tools; they've been very helpful and are very accurate. Our team relies on them for estimating project timelines across all projects.

Cons

Visuals of Gantt charts and timelines, Card View visual design. Always feels like there is a lot of details to consume no matter what page you're on. I wish it were less details on any one screen, but I appreciate the functionality.

Emily R.
  • Industry: Design

• Customer Support Software

Liquid Planner - a complex solution to a multitude of project management challenges

Reviewed on 08/03/2017

As a project manager with a design firm of 35 people, Liquid Planner is a valuable tool to organize work plans and understand capacity and availability for my teams.

Pros

Tasks are laid out in a simple format that works across a variety of projects. Cross-project capacity analytics are also valuable for our use case.

Cons

the replicability of projects and tasks is limited
There is little exportable/API for LP, limiting our ability to integrate the data in LP with our CRM and other systems.

Ram F.

Liquid Planner for Planning

Reviewed on 14/08/2018

We have a large project with several teams. Liquid Planner is great as the one place where you can go to get a grasp of the size scope and progress of the entire team and not just the team or aspect you happen to be working on. It feels like it carries weight as the source of truth for out project.

Pros

It is feature rich and capable of tracking very large amounts of work. This is where it shines over a simple agile board.

Cons

The UI is utilitarian and rich with options, but it is very bland aesthetically. Sometimes it is too heavy as well. By that I mean, sometimes I just need to find a particular card and it can be buried under too many levels of stuff. I realize that this is partly on the organizer of the boards to take care of, but I also feel Liquid Planner could be more efficient in helping you find very specific cards but keyword, etc.

Lori V.
  • Industry: Design

• Customer Support Software

Helpful communication tool for the workplace

Reviewed on 08/03/2017

Our shop has been using Liquid Planner for about 2 years, and so far, it is working well. For me, I use it when the project managers of my team get a job, and then need to communicate to me all the details so that I can produce. It is helpful how I can track my time, and write any notes that I need to keep for future reference. I also use it for keeping track of ordering supplies.

Pros

The way it lays out my daily tasks for the day

Cons

The order of tasks sometimes is not in order of when they are due, for some reason.